1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 am UTC

ucim wrote:I hope she's ok.

Didn't she tell you?

Wait, don't any of you folks remember?

It's so strange to type on your notebook's leopard and watch the letter appear on a 29"(+?) screen. It makes me have to go back at looking at the leopard..

Tell me, what do y'll remember?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:31 am UTC

I remember having to Google like ch*rp to find the Calabar python last Time, no way the mysteryONGs are going to get me to do that again... :P
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 am UTC

Before I go coma and my notebook (did we ottify that word yet?) runs out of fuel: ChronosDragon, you owe me an explanation.
Selecting new quote…

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Before I go coma and my notebook (did we ottify that word yet?) runs out of fuel: ChronosDragon, you owe me an explanation.

What? Me? Why, whatever did I do?

Neil_Boekend

Re: The BLITZ! can now begin.

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:How about some redundancy? I have another one:
Spoiler:

It can also measure redundancy. And redundancy. (It's an ottification of Meratronik v543. We have them at the Othershycircle University of Technology and they are really neat.

Yaay nixi tubes
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:02 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:We've got a browser. Well, at least the otters got one. Not sure about OTTers. Looks like a nice reason to reinstall the Qt SDK here.

Ooh! Unfortunately, attempts to install it were thwarted on my system by qt5 breaking all of my packages and not having room for the full SDK. But I hope to get this running one way or another!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0308

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 am UTC

BELONGER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 am UTC

That's not helpful, Megan. Surely she's searched snake subspecies since sea-sailing...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

Give her a break, they live in yurts in a post-apocalyptic world, where was she gonna find an internet connection? :P

The Beanies would've had books, sure, but they're far away...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Give her a break, they live in yurts in a post-apocalyptic world, where was she gonna find an internet connection? :P

The Beanies would've had books, sure, but they're far away...

Maybe they are not in a post-apocalyptic world but simply went on a holiday and forgot to return home. You can charge a phone with a woodstove you know.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0309

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

IRVONGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0309

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

mscha wrote:IRVONGTON...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

This can result in sillyness (warning, real spoiler):
Spoiler:
See Alpha in the Dollhouse: handler says "watch your step" Alpha, in his doll state, proceeds walking while looking down at his feet.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Give her a break, they live in yurts in a post-apocalyptic world, where was she gonna find an internet connection? :P

Maybe they are not in a post-apocalyptic world but simply went on a holiday and forgot to return home.

What if not all of the OTC world is post-apocalyptic?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Maybe they are not in a post-apocalyptic world but simply went on a holiday and forgot to return home.

Is it still an apocalypse if not all of the world is affected?

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

It's not a real apocalypse if they still have hats.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:It's not a real apocalypse if they still have hats.

Its probably an a-polka-lypse. That would explain the yurts, as a gypsy needs an easy to transport home. They must have changed from trailers to yurts when they found out it's difficult to carry a trailer down into the Mediterranean basin.

he/him/his

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0310

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

WHARFONGER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

Hello from Newpage 530. I'm Blitzing the thread and I hope that some of you see my first post. I know how many first posts on this needle pulled thing have been missed due to the way the forum works.

Don't worry about spoilers for the OTC as I've already viewed the whole thing on geekwagon after reading Randall's Blag post on it. Then I got curious about the OTT and started reading from the beginning. This is all about the OTT for me, which is an incredible journey in itself. Frankly I have no idea what's been going on since the OTC ended that keeps the thread at the top, but I guess I'll have to wait for it to see what it is. Well apart from the Newpixbot apparently looping the comic.

I've seen much happiness, sadness, madness. I've seen Popes die and then return (as zombies possibly). I've seen all manner of amazing hats, and wonder if the Buffydashery will open again. I've seen lonely moments such as poor freevortex on page 520 who joined just to say that comic 115 mentions gorillas and due to the high speed nature of the thread was probably missed and they never posted again. I've seen all manner of predictions about Megan, Cueball, castles, coffeesemencancerbabies, death, looping or whatever.

Right now Cuegan (Megball?) are at the newly discovered river and are heading upstream. A death cult of sorts seems to have emerged relating to how the OTC could end at each Newpix. But frankly all I can think about right now is how "Rolling Back The Rivers In Time" by Girls Aloud (ask a Brit) would be the perfect theme song right about now. I can't link you do it so you'll have to use your search engine of choice.

I feel like I know you all, but obviously you don't know me. I promised myself not to skip ahead, so any sigcouragement is welcome. See you eventually.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

What if there was a new what-if?
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

F1RST P0ST!!

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

Blitzreport#0 from baltyclesontheblitz
Testing the connection:
Hello, can you hear me from the past?

The time travel was successful. I'm on np15 now.
And Time has already "ended" twice. I wonder, how many times it will end before it actually ends.

Wow, I mentioned that everything beginning with balt- can be considered my redundantname, and only until today I was called:
balt
balthasaronthemoon
Balthasar_On_The_Bacon
balthabiker

I like this kind of redundancy.
Is it a coincidence that I started the blitz on my name day (6 january)

I can still see the present but it's slowly fading, so soon I will loose it from my eyes completely. And I won't know what's going on in the present. Except for the posts with my name in it. My bot will find them for me.

Let me introduce to you:
bothasar_s, my new bot

Of course, he needs his own bicycle. He's currently learning to ride it.
He's learning fast. But he has still a lot to learn before he can start doing his job.

Thank you all for your best wishes on my blitz.
The xuys at the moon base were also happy for my blitz.
Spoiler:
Well, kind of.

yappobiscuits wrote:That's also highly treeish! It looks like it was made on Drawception, is that so? It's awesomeful!
Yes, this frame was drawn on DC. The other one was edited in Gimp.

ucim wrote:Holy Arrow of Armageddon! What have you done to that BlitzRocket?? No wonder you're using a bicycle!
Ah, so it was a Blitz Rocket? That explains everything. Wait, no, it doesn't. There were no Blitz Rockets in 2009. This makes no sense.

... and therefore it must be true? Apparently, yes:
balthasar_s wrote:In our base we use time travel regullarly to get spare parts for our trains from the past and our space ships from the future.
I want my Blitz Rocket back.

mrob27 wrote:Not a great time to be decomad by imagebot, in her characteristic (distinctly unemotional and creepily GlaDOSish) voice:

Server has been mustard for a while

Now I want to give a voice to bothasar_s. And since my favourite speech synthesis software is the narrator.device from the Amiga operating system I will have to:
1. Set up an Amiga emulator on the server,
2. write a program inside the emulator that uses the narrator.device,
3. write a program outside the emulator that communicates with the program inside,
4. connect them via a virtual serial port,
5. record the sound output of the emulator,
6. I have no idea how to do it.
7. I'll do it anyway.
8. I think something is wrong with this list.
9. And it should't reference itself.
10. Ni ni ni ch*rpingm*stard ping pong ball

The blitz continues.
End of blitzreport#0 from balteqsdrwcxfscwds.

Redundant
Spoiler:
xuys.PNG
bothasar.JPG
f1rst.JPG
xuys2.PNG
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Speaking of laughing at lines in things - Not RELATED to the OTT, but to asdfmovie, if anyone's familiar with it: I laughed so hard at episode 1 of the new series of Sherlock when a character said "I like trains."

That bit made me smile. :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0310

Postby SBN » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:WHARFONGER...

Cue looks pensive.

Also, New What-If is up.
Last edited by SBN on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

Well, here's my almost-but-not-quite-ketched-up post. This post will be seaish enough as it is, largely because I finally wet back to re-read that very seaish post by Aluisio. And of course, I understood everything. Except for all those parts that I didn't. :twisted:

AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'll be swimming in a river.

Is that like drowning in your own blood?

Ewww.

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:people are (mostly) paying me to play money

This still makes me LOL.

That's totally why I did it. It wasn't a typo at all...

oh, and,
AluisioASG wrote:
ggh wrote:Laura Mae, did I tell you how wonderful your recording was? Loved it!

I don't remember if I did, so doing it here.

Thank you!

AluisioASG wrote:
ggh wrote:Laura Mae, what do you know? Are there hints you can give us? Is Aluisio in your basement?

Do we have private basements now?

Well, we should, since that would be redundant. Other than that, I know nothing, so it's a good thing ggh is smarter than me and was able to figure some things out. Because, as ggh said:

ggh wrote:Everything Aluisio says is over my head.

Like all of these lines, for example:
AluisioASG wrote:
I know how to rhyme ‘pomegranate’ with ‘pillow’.
The body bends until it breaks and sings again no more

I'm sure those lines all mean something. I'm just not sure what. :D

AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:Never easy to lose a wolpy.

Indeed. From my oldest dog's first offspring batch, I know of only two who are still alive (both are with my grandmothers). Other was poisoned, another was hit by a car, and yet other was alive last time I heard (long ago). The only one we kept for us was lost to a disease not long after. Apparently we didn't buy enough stamps to cover the whole trip to the afterlife, for she was sent back in the next batch: same colors, same birth order, same size relative to her siblings.

I love the part about not buying enough stamps to get her for the afterlife. It almost but not quite makes up for the parts about losing the other dogs.

All my life I thought we didn't have pets other than fish or gerbils because my mom didn't like having animals in the house. It was only a few yips ago I found out that it was because she couldn't bear to lose them.

HES wrote:
ggh wrote:Last night I had two bad dreams. One was the classic: that I had exams, and I didn't even know I was supposed to have been attending classes. Cram, cram, cram. Stupid physics....
I blame you, HES.
Regardless, Good luck!

Apologies, I hate those coma visions :( I tend to get them from at my parents', where I'm 300 miles from where I would need to be and couldn't possibly make it. Despite this inevitability, I was quite pleased to finish my "last ever" exams last yip (Lost 111 pages of ketchup to those). Alas, I'm on the kind of career path where I will have exams for all eternity. And I don't think I'll ever get the hang of revising early.

I had this weird thing happen where I looked at the OtherComic, then all of a sudden I remembered having one of those dreams, but I wasn't sure it had been a dream because the feeling was so strong. I mean, I suddenly thought I had actually missed not just a test but a whole class. Mind you, 1) I was awake when this happened and 2) It's been yips since I took tests. Hm, I must be stressed about something.

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Depends on how seaish the baobab is, I suppose.

Jumping out of an airplane strapped to a baobab that can do whatever it wants to does not sound like a much better idea. :)

Have faith in the baobab. Maybe it has only the best intentions.

I kinda think that, even if the baobab has the best intentions, you probably don't want it on your back when you jump from a plane.

ZoomanSP wrote:Image

Thanks for the treeish caketree!
Edited to FTFM. I must have had cake on the brain...mmm, now I want cake.

ChronosDragon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Othercomic! It's literally gobbledegook to me. :shock:

It's not gobbledygook, it's regular expressions: with gobbledeygook, at least the speaker knows what they're saying.

Well, he did say, "It's gobbledygook TO ME." gobbledeegook. gobbbbledeguk. Whatever.

HES wrote:HES's alarm doesn't go off, he misses his exam and fails at life. He never has children, his descendants don't exist and the next 11000 years are dramatically altered. Thus ends Time, before Time.

Thankfully I only missed useful studying time, not an exam, but I'm going to have to sort out alternative de-coma arrangements.

Oops. Hey, good luck on that interview!

DrSamCarter wrote:
mscha wrote:Ooooh, it's a snake!
Spoiler:

Or a very large wormolpy.

Or even a legless lizard, which sounds like a euphemism but isn't.

:D

BlitzGirl wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
mscha wrote:Ooooh, it's a snake!
Spoiler:

I wonder whether Cueball is a very good molpyhunter, or whether the snakes are waiting for it him.

They just want to say hello!
Spoiler:

D'awww!

january1may wrote:Off-topic: over the last few dips, the OTT had been going fast enough that I don't feel like doing a proper ketchup anymore. So from this point on (at least for a while), I would be doing my blitzing without reading the Present very much. Which IIRC is actually the proper way to do it anyway.

That's definitely on-topic.

january1may wrote:TheMulattoMaker appears to be one of the forgotten early blitzers. Apparently not posting signposts of your progress means your achievement is forgotten. Sorry, TMM. I'll remember you. (And you hadn't posted since *March anyway.)

I remember xim! I remember I thought that was an interesting username.

BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
january1may wrote:It's a bit funny how explainxkcd names for the two main characters caught on so easily. If anything, "how to name the characters" would've been an obvious debate point (and, IIRC, it was further on when other characters were introduced), but these two just got stuck with Cueball and Megan (almost wrote "Cuegan and Megball"... that's still in the future).
I still maintain that "Cueball" is really Rob. He is referred to as "Rob" many times, which explainxkcd explains away as basically "Rob is another guy who looks and acts exactly like Cueball but only shows up in the comics where GLR has to refer to him by name". If we applied the same heuristics that we did in naming Megan, the guy is obviously Rob.

...Although that would mean that we'd have to replace Cuegan and Megball with Robgan and Megrob. :?

I was going to say something, but then I remembered I already posted it:
BlitzGirl, Newpage 1216 wrote:Cueball is called Steve in http://xkcd.com/809/ - that came to mind because I recently read that OtherComic. His last name is Munroe, like GLR, in http://xkcd.com/135/ too. Though Rob is certainly the most frequent name, shows up in 8 or 9 OtherComics, I think.

Also, yappo's "Megan and Cue" would be quite mustarded up if it were "Megan and Rob." :P

How do we know Steve is Cueball? Maybe the middle guy is Cueball.

AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:
AluisioASG's avatar wrote:Image

Aww, where did the wolpy go?

ENHANCE!
Buggy (likely) watching a gecko

D'aww! You're a wolpy!

Soup wrote:Soup in a bacon bowl!

Spoiler:
bacon-soup-bowl.jpg

That looks amazing.

OK, hopefully there's no mustard in this post, since I'm late for work. If so, I'll fix it when I get there....
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, good luck on that interview!

Thanks! Though they've now moved it to Friday, so I get to spend another 3 dips getting stressed about it.

I've just discovered a mutual Outsider connection with another OTTer, and my mind is blown.
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

I forgot to post this:
2840 coloured.
Newpix size:
High resolution:
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
color5.JPG
color6.PNG
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

Baobabs, highly wingish, balthasar!
HES wrote:I've just discovered a mutual Outsider connection with another OTTer, and my mind is blown.

Ooh, treeish! Can you tell us more? :D

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Baobabs, highly wingish, balthasar!
HES wrote:I've just discovered a mutual Outsider connection with another OTTer, and my mind is blown.

Well, the other OTTer is you.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

Discovery.gif
Spotted on a 31" screen.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Baobabs, highly wingish, balthasar!

Well, the other OTTer is you.

Yeah, I've just seen the PM. How very treeish!

january1may

Postby january1may » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

Off-topic (well, on-Present-topic): I wonder whether there is a parallel universe around somewhere in which the character we know as Megan is called by its original name of "Cutie", and "Megan" is considered a separate character. I also wondered what TTL's equivalents to "Cuegan" and "Megball" would be, and how much of our OTTifications won't be m*starded up with TTL's naming conventions (then I realized that, thanks to butterfly effect, they might not even have had the OTC as we know it, and even if they did they probably would've came up with a different word for "molpy" and other concepts not immediately based on OTC stuff).
But back to my correct topic...

JFOM Blitz Report 12
Progress: NP134/np213

Why, my favorite map projection is the Waterman Butterfly! Admittedly, that's only mainly because, due to complicated in-joke-related reasons, it happens to be the emblem of another major site where I'm active (yeah, heresy heresy, there are other major sites other than the OTT - at least I've been less active there recently than I used to be before I became an OTTer).

The Madness is starting, faintly, at NP128. I suspect this blitz report will mainly be about the Madness (and might not even go through the entire period).

Could it be Aubron who creates the mysterypix? At least, that's how I interpret orthogon's prediction on NP129 :D

Almost as soon as the Madness starts, OTTers start to play with it. I don't think "cancel" was ever changed (it was probably posted as "tincel" originally).

First schism I've noticed was the Snowist one. The one on NP130 looks like fourth or fifth (and I probably underestimated).

The OTT gets madnesser and madnesser. I might not be able to follow up as easily as I thought I could. (And I got distracted by the thread about the Madness linked on NP132.)

And turns out my paternal parent really doesn't like me not in bed at *midnight, so I guess I have to finish my report now :cry:
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

january1may wrote:And turns out my paternal parent really doesn't like me not in bed at *midnight, so I guess I have to finish my report now :cry:

By my parenting style, that makes you a really young OTTer. I think the concept of bedtime stopped existing around here about second grade. The kids, and their noise, had to be in their rooms by 9 pm, but I didn't try to enforce sleep as long as they were functional the next day. Now they are in college, and do reasonably well at deciding when to sleep, when to study, etc.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0311

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

PLANTLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

SBN wrote:By my parenting style, that makes you a really young OTTer. I think the concept of bedtime stopped existing around here about second grade. The kids, and their noise, had to be in their rooms by 9 pm, but I didn't try to enforce sleep as long as they were functional the next day. Now they are in college, and do reasonably well at deciding when to sleep, when to study, etc.

Glad to hear you say that. I'm hoping to do similarly, and it's nice to know you've had good results. :)

I want to hear more about the Yappo/HES connection!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
january1may wrote:And turns out my paternal parent really doesn't like me not in bed at *midnight, so I guess I have to finish my report now :cry:

By my parenting style, that makes you a really young OTTer. I think the concept of bedtime stopped existing around here about second grade. The kids, and their noise, had to be in their rooms by 9 pm, but I didn't try to enforce sleep as long as they were functional the next day. Now they are in college, and do reasonably well at deciding when to sleep, when to study, etc.

Your kids must just be naturally well organised/self-disciplined then :P - as soon as bedtimes no longer became a thing for me, my sleeping patterns became ch*rped in no time :P
ggh wrote:I want to hear more about the Yappo/HES connection!

One of HES's driving colleagues at university is a childhood friend of mine. Riverish world, huh!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
SBN wrote:By my parenting style, that makes you a really young OTTer. I think the concept of bedtime stopped existing around here about second grade. The kids, and their noise, had to be in their rooms by 9 pm, but I didn't try to enforce sleep as long as they were functional the next day. Now they are in college, and do reasonably well at deciding when to sleep, when to study, etc.

Glad to hear you say that. I'm hoping to do similarly, and it's nice to know you've had good results. :)

I want to hear more about the Yappo/HES connection!

Well, One day, Yappo was drinking strange concoctions, and in the words of Robert Louis Stevenson...
“The most racking pangs succeeded: a grinding in the bones, deadly nausea, and a horror of the spirit that cannot be exceeded at the hour of birth or death. Then these agonies began swiftly to subside, and I came to myself as if out of a great sickness. There was something strange in my sensations, something indescribably sweet. I felt younger, lighter, happier in body; within I was conscious of a heady recklessness, a current of disordered sensual images running like a millrace in my fancy, a solution of the bonds of obligation, an unknown but innocent freedom of the soul. I knew myself, at the first breath of this new life, to be more wicked, tenfold more wicked, sold a slave to my original evil and the thought, in that moment, braced and delighted me like wine.”

And Hes was there in Yappo's place.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

It's all RELATED. :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

If this isn't proof that it's all RELATED, I don't know what is!

And yes Dracomax, that is exactly what happened.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

It's all RELATED. :D

Yes indeed.
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 pm UTC

Flutterbeewingish OTColored, Baltjhdfsjgdh! Your new bot is cute. :)

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Its probably an a-polka-lypse.

VITSSÅGEN, JA!

Neil_Boekend wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Is it still an apocalypse if not all of the world is affected?

What I mean is, what if some portion of the OTC world has sufficiently recovered from a worldwide apocalypse to have intertubes again?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Obviously

Obviously I enjoyed this story, though I didn't understand all the computery stuff, obviously.

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I think I meant "km/h".

Obviously you are wrong. It's (571.4 q/np).

Obviously. I obviously needed
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

FuncFactory.getInstance()
                 .getHandler(Units.class)
                 .convertUnits1a("km")
                 .convertUnits1b("h")
                 .convertUnits2a("q")
                 .convertUnits2b("np");

I obviously need to wish you a happy 1300! Obviously!

addams wrote:<snip>
I am an outsider. I stopped by to say, "Hi."
I wanted to comment on how great the guy with the bike is.

If he were Real that would be a dumb thing to do.
But, he is only on a screen. He can not be hurt by the lightening.

You people are sometimes funny.
When I can understand you.

Kelvins per Hour!
That is funny.
And; Even I get that one.

Ninja'd by many, but you are no Outsider, silly molpy! Lack of understanding ≠ Outsiderness. If it did, I would have many many periods (or eons?) of Outsiderness.

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote: I'll be changing back after the next AotC.

Is this... t** **d of the AotC?!

Edit: Just saw the holidip hat on the second scribe. How the ch*rp did I miss that?

I missed it too. Guess it wasn't that obvious.

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Its probably an a-polka-lypse. That would explain the yurts, as a gypsy needs an easy to transport home. They must have changed from trailers to yurts when they found out it's difficult to carry a trailer down into the Mediterranean basin.

:D Surprised that didn't get the punsaw, or at least a scrumptious donut.
Edit: Aha, I see BlitzGirl just had to warm up the punsaw.

Lots of steakish stuff from balt/balthasaronthemoon/Balthasar_On_The_Bacon/balthabiker. This made me LAOL (almost out loud-I'm at work, after all):
Spoiler:
balthasar_s wrote:Now I want to give a voice to bothasar_s. And since my favourite speech synthesis software is the narrator.device from the Amiga operating system I will have to:
1. Set up an Amiga emulator on the server,
2. write a program inside the emulator that uses the narrator.device,
3. write a program outside the emulator that communicates with the program inside,
4. connect them via a virtual serial port,
5. record the sound output of the emulator,
6. I have no idea how to do it.
7. I'll do it anyway.
8. I think something is wrong with this list.
9. And it should't reference itself.
10. Ni ni ni ch*rpingm*stard ping pong ball

Looking forward to hearing more from bal/bothasar.

yappobiscuits wrote:
SBN wrote:

Your kids must just be naturally well organised/self-disciplined then :P - as soon as bedtimes no longer became a thing for me, my sleeping patterns became ch*rped in no time :P

You and me both, yappo. And, truth be told, even in high school my coma patterns were ch*ped. I would stay up late doing my homework (there's a slight chance I may have been procrastinating), and one or the other of my parental units would come in and yell at me.

Obviously, january1may, you need a smartphone or tablet which you can use to continue your blitz under the covers, a high-tech (and non-heretical) version of reading under the covers with a flashlight.

I also wanted to mention that, being, as CD put it, a 'Murican (Ch*rp yeah!), I always read your username as January 1 (as in first of January)-May. But since you write JFOM, I'm thinking I had it backwards and it's actually January-First of May. Obviously.

Dracomax wrote:
ggh wrote:I want to hear more about the Yappo/HES connection!

Well, One day, Yappo was drinking strange concoctions, and in the words of Robert Louis Stevenson...
“The most racking pangs succeeded: a grinding in the bones, deadly nausea, and a horror of the spirit that cannot be exceeded at the hour of birth or death. Then these agonies began swiftly to subside, and I came to myself as if out of a great sickness. There was something strange in my sensations, something indescribably sweet. I felt younger, lighter, happier in body; within I was conscious of a heady recklessness, a current of disordered sensual images running like a millrace in my fancy, a solution of the bonds of obligation, an unknown but innocent freedom of the soul. I knew myself, at the first breath of this new life, to be more wicked, tenfold more wicked, sold a slave to my original evil and the thought, in that moment, braced and delighted me like wine.”

And Hes was there in Yappo's place.

Ah, yes, the classic tale of Dr. Yappo and Mr. Hugh!

Hm, lots of parens in this quote. Here's another set, just cause: ()

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”