1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

waveney

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
SB question for ED (or waveney), should he molpy by:
Spoiler:
All of a sudden, I'm being spammed by "Consumed ### glass chips" notifications every 5mNP.
I'm not certain where they're coming from, though deactivating AA makes them stop.
The AA description says it suppresses notifications about glass gains. What about glass losses?
[/code]

I'm here (briefly) It surpressed gains, but not loses. If you are getting them - you have something going wrong as you are using more than you are making. I don't have time now to look at the save and find what.

ETA: Pope - Molpies...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:26 am UTC

waveney wrote:<snip> you have something going wrong as you are using more than you are making.

Quite possibly (I don't know what I'm doing in SB, I just buy things)! :D The losses aren't very significant as I have chips constantly being made, too - it's just annoying to get the messages.

For decree: molpies in sand!
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0338

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 am UTC

HARPONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 am UTC

Scene 33

exterior - day: up the cliff, high above the valley.To the right, firmly entrenched in the steep cliffside, is the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, with BlitzGirl's Boa flapping gently in the breeze. First Cleric is about two cue below the arrow, and having trouble finding good footing. The Fifth Cleric is about three cue behind him and somewhat lower. The Pope and his party have reached the Grotto far below, and the seminary stretches out broadly to the left. Mist from the waterfall gives the entire scene a surreal look.
First Cleric wrote:Just a little bit more!
the fifth cleric wrote:Get back down here before you kill yourself!
First Cleric wrote:I can't kill myself - I have a safety hat, just like yours.

close-up on the fifth cleric, who points to his hat, and then advances a bit further.
the fifth cleric wrote:Aye, but mine's green. It's better. It's from the Land of Leprechauns.
First Cleric wrote:LOL - I've heard of it. Find your pot o' gold yet?

close-up on First Cleric
First Cleric wrote:Besides, mine's green too.
the fifth cleric wrote:Not unless yer colorblind.

The first cleric removes his hat, and finds it to be brown, withered, and limp.
First Cleric wrote:What the ch*rp?

wide shot, POV first cleric, looking down the cliff at the Grotto far below. The view is unsteady and somewhat distorted
at the top of his lungs, First Cleric wrote:Neil! You piece of mustard!

The withered hat is seen flying away from the camera and down the cliff to the Grotto.
Spoiler:
close-up: First Cleric clinging to the cliff. He slips, and slides several cue down the cliff, managing to grab a piece of vegetation to stop his fall. The camera follows him down, including the fifth cleric and the Grotto in the resulting angle. First Cleric is now below the fifth cleric, and the Pope is visible in the Grotto.
The Pope wrote:Be careful there First Cleric - we have another BlitzGirl and we don't want you hurt for the ceremony.
First Cleric wrote:But you don't mind if I get hurt for any other reason?

Close-up on The Pope. He looks pensive.
to himself, The Pope wrote:You don't really want me to answer that, do you?

From behind the Pope, a BlitzRocket appears, and the Pope turns to look. The camera follows the BlitzRocket as it goes up to First Cleric.

close-up on the BlitzRocket hovering in the air, and First Cleric clinging to the cliffside. The hatch opens revealing Second Scribe, who looks like she's had some experiences of her own. First Cleric just stares at her.
Second Scribe wrote:Get in before we're hit with another 503!
First Cleric wrote:You're a BlitzGirl?
Second Scribe wrote:No, I'm the Second Scribe, but that's not important right now. Get in while there's still an in to get!
the fifth cleric wrote:Don't you know what to do when a pretty lass invites you in with her?

The BlitzRocket edges a bit closer, and First Cleric slides down on top of it and climbs in. Second Scribe starts to close the hatch, but then thinks better of it and leaves it open a crack.

medium shot: inside the BlitzRocket. It's darker inside, lit mainly by the lights of the instrumentation, but we can still see a bit of the cliff through the open hatch slit. Second Scribe guides the BlitzRocket with gentle movements of her hand in the control glove. During this maneuvering, First Cleric notices that Second Scribe is quite dissheveled.
First Cleric wrote:You look like hell!
Second Scribe wrote:Thank you. I guess this explains your success with women.
First Cleric wrote:I fail to see what your appearance has to do with my social success.
HAL9000 wrote:Even I can figure that one out!
Second Scribe wrote:I've been on the Outside.
HAL9000 wrote:Would you like to be on the outside?

A look of horror crosses First Cleric's face.
Second Scribe wrote:He couldn't handle it.

Low angle wide shot in which we can see the grass of the Grotto in the foreground, along with the brown safety hat that First Cleric tossed away. Looming up from this angle is the cliff, where we can see the fifth cleric deftly making his way down. The BlitzRocket gently descends into the shot, narrowly missing landing on the hat. A moment later, a foot lands on the grass in front of the camera, also missing the safety hat. The camera pulls back to reveal another foot landing as First Cleric gets out, and as we pull back further, the Pope's party surrounds the BlitzRocket. Second Scribe gets out, notices the safety hat, and picks it up, just as Neil_Boekend floats into view.
Neil_Boekend wrote:I felt a terrible disturbance in the force, as if one lonely voice cried out in vain, and then grew silent.

Second Scribe gives Neil the safety hat, who takes it gently.
Neil_Boekend wrote:I don't understand. It's dead. It starved to death in the space of half an Ong. That's just not possible!

The Pope puts his hand on Neil's shoulder, but of course his hand passes right through it. He looks at Neil.
The Pope wrote:Anything is possible. Especially the impossible.
Neil_Boekend wrote:It reaches straight into the brain. All it needed was the tiniest thought to sustain it.

He has a moment of realization.
Neil_Boekend wrote:It was First Cleric's, wasn't it.
Second Scribe wrote:Yes, and the odd thing is, once he put it on, he started making sense. That's how I knew he had to be stopped.
Neil_Boekend wrote:My poor, noble hat. When its host had no thoughts of his own, it gave him all it had.
The Pope wrote:Like pouring water on a volcano.

Neil floats away with the hat.
talking to the hat as he exits, Neil_Boekend wrote:Come, my friend. Being dead is not so bad!
The Pope wrote:... and being alive isn't so bad either! Come, we have a BlitzGirl to canonize!

interior - day: The Great Cathedral, from high up in the rafters. The camera, looking out over the altar and the gathering people below, trucks slowly behind the mechanism of a grand musical instrument resembling a cross between a glass pipe organ, a crystal xylophone, and a handbell choir. Among the features of this device is several clusters of many glass crystals and tubes, each tube partially filled with a colored liquid. Each cluster is mounted on a contraption that resembles a bicycle-powered helicopter with one of the Raft People at the controls. As the camera trucks across each of these assemblies, the majesty of the cathedral in the background can be seen refracted in the glass tubes and in the facets of the hanging crystals, while the instrumentalists make adjustments.

One particularly large crystal comes into view from the right, with a mechanism visible in the refractions behind it. The mechanism moves and we see the crystal get hit with a mallet, producing a bass tone of remarkable clarity. As this crystal moves towards the left of the screen, an instrumentalist makes an adjustment, and as the last cluster moves off screen we now have an unobstructed view of the altar and nave filling with people waiting for the Grand Celebration to occur.

The camera zooms in on the leftmost area of the altar, and dissolves to

medium shot - yappobiscuits and several of the Raft People in choir robes. We do not hear their conversation but they nod in agreement and split up. Giving a quick glance up at the instrument, yappo strides offstage.

medium shot - another part of the nave. The Pope and First Cleric talking together, stride past the camera, which pans to follow but stops on the Second Scribe, who once again looks stunning. She is holding an unrolled scroll and is perusing it. Satisfied, she rolls it up and walks offscreen.

medium shot - the alter where the Raft Choir is gathering on a platform behind a row of elegantly carved seats.

wide shot - the nave, filling with people. The Great Doors in the back, six cue in height, are being opened, and we can see hordes of people beyond.

close-up - The Pope, in a nook. He gets up, sees that all is in readiness, and signals the first herald (offscreen). We hear the sound of the ram's horn, which is then echoed by other heralds across the land.

close-up - one of the instrumentalists on the bicycle contraptions begins pedalling, and the arrangement of glass tubes and crystals begins to turn, slowly at first but then gathering speed.

various close-ups of other instrumentalists at other clusters doing the same, and of various parts of the intricate mechanisms operating. The last close up pulls back to reveal the entire instrument in action, with the altar in the background, and yappo on the podium. It is a kaleidoscope of color, and with all eyes on him, yappo gives a gentle downbeat and gestures the music to grow. (Note to sound: If the Music of the Spheres could be heard by mortal ears, this would be it. It is at once eerie and haunting, yet posessing a pure clarity of tone and richness of harmony that transports us into another world.)

various close-ups of the instrument's innards (mallets hitting the crystals, cloth vibrating against the tubes, bellows pumping, and the musicians at the console of each cluster making it all happen dissolve into one another, and then dissolve into yappobiscuits gesturing the choir in.

medium shot - the Raft choir singing their part, as in the foreground the multicolored robes of the clerecy pass in front of the lens as they process onto the altar. The camera dollies back and pedestals up; we then see the BlitzGirls processing stage left as the clerecy takes its place in front of the choir. As the music comes to a close, the clerecy sits, except for the Pope, who walks over to the podium.

medium shot - The Pope at the podium. During his loqution, the camera slowly moves in.
In a voice that fills the cathedral and carries through the Great Doors and out into the valley beyond, The Pope wrote:Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah. "I am greatly blessed to be among you." This is one of the High Dicta of the Raft People, and it is one to take to heart. We are like unto grains of sand in a sandcastle, each one different, each one with sharp points, rounded parts, parts that are sensitive, and parts that are sturdy. But although those parts are in different places for each of us, we have found a way to nestle together so the pointy parts are not lying on somebody else's sensitive parts. In doing so, and with the Blessings of the One True Author, we have built Great Sandcastles, have met other peoples, and have applied this same way of life to our dealings with them. Without their help, we would have been food for octomolpies, and without our help, they would have perished the same way. Each of us is greatly blessed to be among every other one of us. We must always remember this, and keep this close to our hearts.

Sometimes, a pointy part might hit a sensitive part. We learn about each other that way; in fact we can't truly learn about each other without that happening sometimes. It is a blessing, not a curse, even though it might not feel that way at the moment. But a slight shift in the sand is all that it takes to make it right. Every grain of sand is vital, and every part of that grain of sand has a role in holding together this Great Sandcastle called life.

Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah.

Today, we are gathered to commemorate our latest BlitzGirl the Next. On the fifth day of Deliverance, MistyCat set out on a Most Awesome BlitzQuest, a quest of over sixteen hundred newpages, and on the twenty-third day of Mystery, his Quest had come to Glorious Conclusion. So Great was the Quest that when it was completed, MistyCat wondered (just for a little while!) what there was left in life to compare. But the Present is also Glorious, and to MistyCat I say "Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah!"

MistyCat, please arise, and kneel.

wide shot - the nave, filled with people. A figure in a blue heather robe comes forth from the front of the assemblage, and makes his way slowly to the stage. The camera zooms in and follows him up as he enjoys every minute of this. He kneels before the Pope, who raises his hands above MistyCat's head.
The Pope wrote:MistyCat, in honor of your most Awesome and Spectacular Quest of drinking from the One True Thread from its very inception, and of the treeish Gospel you have written on the way to the Present Time, do I, by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all time and for all of Time that you have truly and properly Waited For It. Furthermore do I concecrate and bless the Gospel of MistyCat, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, and all the other gospels, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time, for all of Time, and for all the Time After Time. Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!

wide shot - the nave, POV the dais. A huge, thundering cheer arises from the congregation, hats (except for green safety hats) are thrown in the air, banners are waved (but in curvy fashions, as is the fashion), and the bicycle-helicopter things come to life as the music begins once again, in a Grand Fanfare.

medium shot - MistyCat being carried off the stage by the congregation. The camera trucks back and helicopters up as he is passed on, hand to hand, above the crowd, out the door to the waiting festivities. The camera follows as it rises higher, stopping behind the colored whirling glass tube cluster playing its part of the recessional music. As the music comes to a close, the cluster winds down and in the distance, MistyCat is carried off.

medium shot - the Pope, First Cleric, and Second Scribe standing together on the dais.
to the Second Scribe, The Pope wrote:First Cleric tells me you were on the Outside.
The Second Scribe wrote:Yes, I almost didn't make it back.
The Pope wrote:So, what did you find?

The Second Scribe considers the question for a moment.
The Second Scribe wrote:Enlightenment.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1675) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1714)-->
Last edited by ucim on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 am UTC

Wowterful, Jose! I never thought I'd feel sorry for a safety hat...poor little thing.
I really liked the Pope's podium speech, too. :)

SB edit: The notifications have stopped. I'm not sure why. But they're gone!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 am UTC

Yaay, AotC!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, I still don't know what RNM is, but happy 4700!

Randomly Naughty Men
Rice Never Melts
Really Neat Molpies (for centapope):
Spoiler:
Or possibly...
AluisioASG wrote:@lmjb1964: Round Number Milestone

Welcome to the 18th century, everymolpy!
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0339

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

GRUDGONGNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Post-gig Ketchup

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

*slides back into thread*
BlitzGirl wrote:I keep expecting those raptors in the mysteryONGs to start skywriting.

TheMinim wrote:1105 - my first OTTification of the yip!
Spoiler:

Let's get 12 people that licence plate, and then two others with "GRAPEVINE", and all go for a drive together! :mrgreen:
Hmm... but we'd have to come up with various different ways of spelling them since you can't have duplicate plates...
lmjb1964 wrote:
The Molpy Hunter

A cool breeze was blowing as I made my way down the empty street. It’s cooler than normal for this time of year, I found myself thinking, then shook my head. No, there was no more “normal,” not now. Not since the flood. Now it was a whole new ballgame, and we all had to try and learn the rules.

Spoiler:
I entered an office building and stopped in front of an office on the first floor. The sign on the door read:
Michael S. Ursa
Private Investigator

That was me, but nowadays it was pretty much just my momma that called me that. Everyone else called me Mscha. I can’t remember the first person to make that joke, but the name had stuck. And sharing a name with a mythical molpy hunter, who could find a speck of a molpy in a mountain of mustard, worked pretty well for a P.I. whose job involved finding molpies that didn't want to be found.

I unlocked the door, walked in past boxes of files waiting to be unpacked and sat down at the desk. It had been a hectic couple of weeks, trying to get out ahead of the water. Most other molpies had left earlier; I had stayed on longer, trying to finish a case. A pricklymolp had hired me to find his wife, sure that something bad had happened to her. I had a feeling that the only thing in trouble was their marriage, but I'd taken the case and wanted to see it through. Fortunately for me I was able to track the wife down before the flood came. Unfortunately for the husband, she had run off with another pricklymolp.

I decided I deserved a treat. I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out the bottle of Scotch and the box of Yappo Biscuits. I opened the box and pulled out one of the biscuits. They were a rare commodity in the best of times, made as they were by two-legs. Who knew if they would even be made again.

As I looked at the box, with the picture of the happy otter in the pillbox hat, I thought about the two-legs. They were strange creatures, all right. The molpies all knew something was happening when the waters started rising. The signs were subtle but unmistakable that something big was going down. But most of the two-legs didn't seem to notice till a new breed of them came down from the high ground and told the valley folk to move out. They all got out, as far as anymolpy knew, except for maybe the small band down by the shore.

Well, it wasn't my problem. Of course, Val liked to point out that getting involved in things that weren't my problem was pretty much my job.

The thought of Valarya, with her reddish-brown fur falling over smoky eyes, made me grin. She had left the valley early on. As much as she cared for me, she had no intention of waiting around for me to finish a case while the waters were rising.

"Give me a holler when you get to higher ground." she had told me before heading out.

Well, I was on higher ground. Might be time to give her a call.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps on the hallway. Whoever it was, there were two of them, and they were bipedal. What’s more, they were wearing shoes. Now, lots of molpies walked on two legs, and lots of molpies wore clothes, especially hats. But the only creatures I knew of that wore shoes were the two-legs.

There wasn't really any bad blood between molpies and two-legs, except for those folks up in the hills who had a habit of throwing things at any molpy that wandered too close to their encampments. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to have backup. I opened the drawer where I kept my 9 mm Bearetta and waited for the door to open. Somewhere in the distance, I could hear the sound of a chain saw starting up.

The door opened and the two-legs entered. I immediately relaxed. They were young; not cubs, but not quite adults either. They looked nervous, and a little alarmed when they set eyes on my relatively large and furry frame.

At first, no one said anything. Then the female spoke.

"Are you the one they call the Molpy Hunter?" she asked.

"Yep, that's me," I answered. “Michael Ursa's the name, but you can call me Mscha. What can I do for you?"

"I'm looking for the molpy that killed my pa."

I was immediately reminded of the joke about a wolpy going into a bar, but I could tell the two-leg was not in a joking mood.

"So, who is this molpy? What do you know about him?" I asked.

"Not much," she replied. "I know he attacked my uncle and my dad when they were traveling in the hills three yips ago. They both got away, but my pa died of his wounds before he made it home."

She stopped for a moment, visibly upset. Then she pulled herself together and continued. "My uncle didn't know what kind of molpy it was. He had never seen one like it before. Like a meowlpy, but. . .well, he drew a picture of it."

The girl reached into her dilgunnerang and pulled out a folded piece of paper, which she opened and handed to me.

I smoothed the paper on my desk and stared at it. The long, low body; the black fur; the long tail. . .

The girl's uncle had drawn the stick figure of a man next to it for comparison. The beast was big.

I looked up at the girl. "This is impossible. This looks like a raptorcat. Only problem is, there haven been raptorcats around here for yips. Your uncle was probably pretty shaken up by the experience. He must have made a mistake."

The boy spoke up for the first time

"I don't think so," he said. "Not since we've seen it as well."

The two exchanged looks, then the girl rolled up her pant leg. Four red, angry lines ran across her knee from one side of her leg to the other.

I whistled. "When and where did that happen?"

The girl rolled her pant leg back down. "A few wips ago. Right before the flood. We were climbing into the hills, trying to figure out what was happening to the sea, when this thing attacked us in an abandoned village."

“But you got away.”

The boy nodded. “I saw it just before it attacked. I pushed her out of the way, but it turned on me. Fortunately, she had her thwapping stick. She hit the molpy and it ran off.”

A look passed between the pair. I couldn’t quite figure out the relationship between the two. I had the feeling that they weren’t too sure themselves.

"And what do you plan to do if you find this guy?" I asked.

The girl stuck her chin out defiantly. “You let us worry about that,” she said.

I stared thoughtfully out the window. Helping two-legs hunt a molpy that didn't exist, and could kill them they did find it. It was a pretty epsilon job all around. But there was something about the pair. I found their mixture of naiveté and courage somewhat charming. I realized that I wanted to help them.

"OK,” I said. “I’ll takethe job. Not sure what I’ll find, but I’ll at least try to get you some answers.”

The pair looked relieved. Then the boy spoke up.

“About the fee…we had to leave a lot of stuff behind when we left our home, and…” He paused.

I said, “Well, typically, it’s a retainer of 20 clams, then 10 clams an hour plus expenses.”

The two exchanged another look, and seemed to come to some sort of silent agreement.

"Ok," said the girl. She reached into her dilgunnerang and pulled out a small sack, which she placed on my desk.

"Here,” she said. “That's 15 clams. We'll have to come back with the rest."

I glanced at the mollusks. The clams were pretty small, but most were these days. Probably would be till populations readjusted to the new water levels.

"This will do for the retainer," I said. "We can talk about the rest later. “

The pair looked relieved. Then suddenly the boy spoke up. "Hey, I can get you more of those."

He was pointing at the box of Yappo Biscuits.

I was incredulous. "You can get more Yappo Biscuits? Are they even making them any more?”

“My Aunt Bunny worked in the bakery that made them," the boy replied. "We have some at home. And they’re rebuilding the bakery. When they start making them again. I can get you more."

I grinned. "Folks, I think we've got ourselves a deal. What are your names, anyway?"

The boy said, "This is Megan, and they call me Cueball."

He grinned and rubbed his head, which was in fact quite round.

I smiled and held out my paw. "Nice to meet you both."

There was just a momentary hesitation, then Megan reached out and shook my paw. Her hand looked small and bare in mine, and once again, I found myself impressed with her courage.

Cueball shook hands as well, then they turned to go.

“Wait!” I called after them. “ How can I get hold of you?”

They turned back. Megan said, “We've made a new settlement in the woods right next to the shore. But—,” She hesitated, and Cueball spoke up.

“Maybe its best if we just come to you.”

I nodded. I understood what they were saying. Their people might be a little uncomfortable if a full-sized bear-molpy showed up in their village. “OK. You know where to find me.”

The couple nodded, then turned and left the office.

I found myself staring at the door and the writing on the window. asrU .S leahciM. This was going to be quite a case. It was time to call in the big guns

I picked up the phone.

"BlitzGirl? It's Mscha. Get over here. We've got a case."

Baobabs! Ch*rping awesomeful! :mrgreen:
ucim wrote:
Scene 33

Spoiler:
exterior - day: up the cliff, high above the valley.To the right, firmly entrenched in the steep cliffside, is the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, with BlitzGirl's Boa flapping gently in the breeze. First Cleric is about two cue below the arrow, and having trouble finding good footing. The Fifth Cleric is about three cue behind him and somewhat lower. The Pope and his party have reached the Grotto far below, and the seminary stretches out broadly to the left. Mist from the waterfall gives the entire scene a surreal look.

close-up on the fifth cleric, who points to his hat, and then advances a bit further.
the fifth cleric wrote:Aye, but mine's green. It's better. It's from the Land of Leprechauns.

close-up on First Cleric

wide shot, POV first cleric, looking down the cliff at the Grotto far below. The view is unsteady and somewhat distorted

The withered hat is seen flying away from the camera and down the cliff to the Grotto.

close-up: First Cleric clinging to the cliff. He slips, and slides several cue down the cliff, managing to grab a piece of vegetation to stop his fall. The camera follows him down, including the fifth cleric and the Grotto in the resulting angle. First Cleric is now below the fifth cleric, and the Pope is visible in the Grotto.
The Pope wrote:Be careful there First Cleric - we have another BlitzGirl and we don't want you hurt for the ceremony.

From behind the Pope, a BlitzRocket appears, and the Pope turns to look. The camera follows the BlitzRocket as it goes up to First Cleric.

close-up on the BlitzRocket hovering in the air, and First Cleric clinging to the cliffside. The hatch opens revealing Second Scribe, who looks like she's had some experiences of her own. First Cleric just stares at her.
Second Scribe wrote:No, I'm the Second Scribe, but that's not important right now. Get in while there's still an in to get!
the fifth cleric wrote:Don't you know what to do when a pretty lass invites you in with her?

The BlitzRocket edges a bit closer, and First Cleric slides down on top of it and climbs in. Second Scribe starts to close the hatch, but then thinks better of it and leaves it open a crack.

medium shot: inside the BlitzRocket. It's darker inside, lit mainly by the lights of the instrumentation, but we can still see a bit of the cliff through the open hatch slit. Second Scribe guides the BlitzRocket with gentle movements of her hand in the control glove. During this maneuvering, First Cleric notices that Second Scribe is quite dissheveled.
First Cleric wrote:I fail to see what your appearance has to do with my social success.

Low angle wide shot in which we can see the grass of the Grotto in the foreground, along with the brown safety hat that First Cleric tossed away. Looming up from this angle is the cliff, where we can see the fifth cleric deftly making his way down. The BlitzRocket gently descends into the shot, narrowly missing landing on the hat. A moment later, a foot lands on the grass in front of the camera, also missing the safety hat. The camera pulls back to reveal another foot landing as First Cleric gets out, and as we pull back further, the Pope's party surrounds the BlitzRocket. Second Scribe gets out, notices the safety hat, and picks it up, just as Neil_Boekend floats into view.
Neil_Boekend wrote:I felt a terrible disturbance in the force, as if one lonely voice cried out in vain, and then grew silent.

Neil_Boekend wrote:I don't understand. It's dead. It starved to death in the space of half an Ong. That's just not possible!

The Pope puts his hand on Neil's shoulder, but of course his hand passes right through it. He looks at Neil.
Neil_Boekend wrote:It reaches straight into the brain. All it needed was the tiniest thought to sustain it.

Second Scribe wrote:Yes, and the odd thing is, once he put it on, he started making sense. That's how I knew he had to be stopped.
Neil_Boekend wrote:My poor, noble hat. When its host had no thoughts of his own, it gave him all it had.

talking to the hat as he exits, Neil_Boekend wrote:Come, my friend. Being dead is not so bad!
The Pope wrote:... and being alive isn't so bad either! Come, we have a BlitzGirl to canonize!

interior - day: The Great Cathedral, from high up in the rafters. The camera, looking out over the altar and the gathering people below, trucks slowly behind the mechanism of a grand musical instrument resembling a cross between a glass pipe organ, a crystal xylophone, and a handbell choir. Among the features of this device is several clusters of many glass crystals and tubes, each tube partially filled with a colored liquid. Each cluster is mounted on a contraption that resembles a bicycle-powered helicopter with one of the Raft People at the controls. As the camera trucks across each of these assemblies, the majesty of the cathedral in the background can be seen refracted in the glass tubes and in the facets of the hanging crystals, while the instrumentalists make adjustments.

One particularly large crystal comes into view from the right, with a mechanism visible in the refractions behind it. The mechanism moves and we see the crystal get hit with a mallet, producing a bass tone of remarkable clarity. As this crystal moves towards the left of the screen, an instrumentalist makes an adjustment, and as the last cluster moves off screen we now have an unobstructed view of the altar and nave filling with people waiting for the Grand Celebration to occur.

medium shot - yappobiscuits and several of the Raft People in choir robes. We do not hear their conversation but they nod in agreement and split up. Giving a quick glance up at the instrument, yappo strides offstage.

medium shot - another part of the nave. The Pope and First Cleric talking together, stride past the camera, which pans to follow but stops on the Second Scribe, who once again looks stunning. She is holding an unrolled scroll and is perusing it. Satisfied, she rolls it up and walks offscreen.

medium shot - the alter where the Raft Choir is gathering on a platform behind a row of elegantly carved seats.

wide shot - the nave, filling with people. The Great Doors in the back, six cue in height, are being opened, and we can see hordes of people beyond.

close-up - The Pope, in a nook. He gets up, sees that all is in readiness, and signals the first herald (offscreen). We hear the sound of the ram's horn, which is then echoed by other heralds across the land.

close-up - one of the instrumentalists on the bicycle contraptions begins pedalling, and the arrangement of glass tubes and crystals begins to turn, slowly at first but then gathering speed.

various close-ups of other instrumentalists at other clusters doing the same, and of various parts of the intricate mechanisms operating. The last close up pulls back to reveal the entire instrument in action, with the altar in the background, and yappo on the podium. It is a kaleidoscope of color, and with all eyes on him, yappo gives a gentle downbeat and gestures the music to grow. (Note to sound: If the Music of the Spheres could be heard by mortal ears, this would be it. It is at once eerie and haunting, yet posessing a pure clarity of tone and richness of harmony that transports us into another world.)

various close-ups of the instrument's innards (mallets hitting the crystals, cloth vibrating against the tubes, bellows pumping, and the musicians at the console of each cluster making it all happen dissolve into one another, and then dissolve into yappobiscuits gesturing the choir in.

medium shot - the Raft choir singing their part, as in the foreground the multicolored robes of the clerecy pass in front of the lens as they process onto the altar. The camera dollies back and pedestals up; we then see the BlitzGirls processing stage left as the clerecy takes its place in front of the choir. As the music comes to a close, the clerecy sits, except for the Pope, who walks over to the podium.

medium shot - The Pope at the podium. During his loqution, the camera slowly moves in.
In a voice that fills the cathedral and carries through the Great Doors and out into the valley beyond, The Pope wrote:Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah. "I am greatly blessed to be among you." This is one of the High Dicta of the Raft People, and it is one to take to heart. We are like unto grains of sand in a sandcastle, each one different, each one with sharp points, rounded parts, parts that are sensitive, and parts that are sturdy. But although those parts are in different places for each of us, we have found a way to nestle together so the pointy parts are not lying on somebody else's sensitive parts. In doing so, and with the Blessings of the One True Author, we have built Great Sandcastles, have met other peoples, and have applied this same way of life to our dealings with them. Without their help, we would have been food for octomolpies, and without our help, they would have perished the same way. Each of us is greatly blessed to be among every other one of us. We must always remember this, and keep this close to our hearts.

Sometimes, a pointy part might hit a sensitive part. We learn about each other that way; in fact we can't truly learn about each other without that happening sometimes. It is a blessing, not a curse, even though it might not feel that way at the moment. But a slight shift in the sand is all that it takes to make it right. Every grain of sand is vital, and every part of that grain of sand has a role in holding together this Great Sandcastle called life.

Today, we are gathered to commemorate our latest BlitzGirl the Next. On the fifth day of Deliverance, MistyCat set out on a Most Awesome BlitzQuest, a quest of over sixteen hundred newpages, and on the twenty-third day of Mystery, his Quest had come to Glorious Conclusion. So Great was the Quest that when it was completed, MistyCat wondered (just for a little while!) what there was left in life to compare. But the Present is also Glorious, and to MistyCat I say "Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah!"

wide shot - the nave, filled with people. A figure in a blue heather robe comes forth from the front of the assemblage, and makes his way slowly to the stage. The camera zooms in and follows him up as he enjoys every minute of this. He kneels before the Pope, who raises his hands above MistyCat's head.
The Pope wrote:MistyCat, in honor of your most Awesome and Spectacular Quest of drinking from the One True Thread from its very inception, and of the treeish Gospel you have written on the way to the Present Time, do I, by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all time and for all of Time that you have truly and properly Waited For It. Furthermore do I concecrate and bless the Gospel of MistyCat, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, and all the other gospels, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time, for all of Time, and for all the Time After Time. Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!

wide shot - the nave, POV the dais. A huge, thundering cheer arises from the congregation, hats (except for green safety hats) are thrown in the air, banners are waved (but in curvy fashions, as is the fashion), and the bicycle-helicopter things come to life as the music begins once again, in a Grand Fanfare.

medium shot - MistyCat being carried off the stage by the congregation. The camera trucks back and helicopters up as he is passed on, hand to hand, above the crowd, out the door to the waiting festivities. The camera follows as it rises higher, stopping behind the colored whirling glass tube cluster playing its part of the recessional music. As the music comes to a close, the cluster winds down and in the distance, MistyCat is carried off.

medium shot - the Pope, First Cleric, and Second Scribe standing together on the dais.
to the Second Scribe, The Pope wrote:First Cleric tells me you were on the Outside.

Jose
<-- previous (NP 1675) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Baobabs! TWO awesomeful stories this ketchup! :mrgreen: Where can I get me one of those instruments? It sounds wowterful!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
raptorskywriting.png

redundakitty51.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

Hppy NP1700, y'all! (And happy 1700th post, ucim! I'd calculate your average number of posts per NP, but that's too complicated so early on a Seadix.)

Image Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Post-gig Ketchup

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
TheMinim wrote:1105 - my first OTTification of the yip!
Spoiler:

Let's get 12 people that licence plate, and then two others with "GRAPEVINE", and all go for a drive together! :mrgreen:
Hmm... but we'd have to come up with various different ways of spelling them since you can't have duplicate plates...

In the US, 12 Molpies is easy, as long as we have OTTers from 12 different states. Grapevine is harder, since I don't think any states use 9 letter plates yet.
My state allows punctuation, which is rare. [Ampersand (&), Number Sign (#), Single Quotes (’ ‘), Plus Sign (+), Dollar Sign ($), Slant Line (/), Equal Sign (=), Asterisk (*)Question mark (?), At Sign (@), Apostrophe ( ‘ ), Dash (--), Comma (,), Exclamation Point (!)Colon (:), Period (.), Double Quotes (“ ’’)]
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

In the UK it's even harder because you can't just choose anything you want and go ahead and order it - vehicle registration is a lot more regulated and bureaucratic here. I'm pretty sure they have to follow a certain format of letters/numbers, and you can't just make your own, they're all assigned by the government or vehicle licensing people or whoever does that stuff. If you want a "custom" one you have to buy a pre-existing one that most closely fits what you want (see HES's "MO14 YUP" upthread). They have auctions and things where more "interesting" plates can be bought (for ridiculous amounts of money). That's why you so rarely see custom plates here in the UK. People only tend to get them to show off how rich they are.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:03 pm UTC

I take it ANPR (Automatic number-plate recognition) isn't a big thing in the US, then. Punctuation would really screw it over.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0340

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

NOTOONGULATES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

If you want a decal for your favorite form of transportation;
It is easy to have bumper stickers made.
Spoiler:
If you put a bumper sticker on the Engine Cover,
Place two.

One backwards to be read in the Rear View mirror of the vehicle in front of you.
The second desplayed in normal text to be read by innocent onlickers.

Your transportation can a Parade Float; Everyday!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

Re: Losing Energy (in) My Laptop

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
The Molpy Hunter

Spoiler:
A cool breeze was blowing as I made my way down the empty street. It’s cooler than normal for this time of year, I found myself thinking, then shook my head. No, there was no more “normal,” not now. Not since the flood. Now it was a whole new ballgame, and we all had to try and learn the rules.

I entered an office building and stopped in front of an office on the first floor. The sign on the door read:
Michael S. Ursa
Private Investigator

That was me, but nowadays it was pretty much just my momma that called me that. Everyone else called me Mscha. I can’t remember the first person to make that joke, but the name had stuck. And sharing a name with a mythical molpy hunter, who could find a speck of a molpy in a mountain of mustard, worked pretty well for a P.I. whose job involved finding molpies that didn't want to be found.

I unlocked the door, walked in past boxes of files waiting to be unpacked and sat down at the desk. It had been a hectic couple of weeks, trying to get out ahead of the water. Most other molpies had left earlier; I had stayed on longer, trying to finish a case. A pricklymolp had hired me to find his wife, sure that something bad had happened to her. I had a feeling that the only thing in trouble was their marriage, but I'd taken the case and wanted to see it through. Fortunately for me I was able to track the wife down before the flood came. Unfortunately for the husband, she had run off with another pricklymolp.

I decided I deserved a treat. I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out the bottle of Scotch and the box of Yappo Biscuits. I opened the box and pulled out one of the biscuits. They were a rare commodity in the best of times, made as they were by two-legs. Who knew if they would even be made again.

As I looked at the box, with the picture of the happy otter in the pillbox hat, I thought about the two-legs. They were strange creatures, all right. The molpies all knew something was happening when the waters started rising. The signs were subtle but unmistakable that something big was going down. But most of the two-legs didn't seem to notice till a new breed of them came down from the high ground and told the valley folk to move out. They all got out, as far as anymolpy knew, except for maybe the small band down by the shore.

Well, it wasn't my problem. Of course, Val liked to point out that getting involved in things that weren't my problem was pretty much my job.

The thought of Valarya, with her reddish-brown fur falling over smoky eyes, made me grin. She had left the valley early on. As much as she cared for me, she had no intention of waiting around for me to finish a case while the waters were rising.

"Give me a holler when you get to higher ground." she had told me before heading out.

Well, I was on higher ground. Might be time to give her a call.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps on the hallway. Whoever it was, there were two of them, and they were bipedal. What’s more, they were wearing shoes. Now, lots of molpies walked on two legs, and lots of molpies wore clothes, especially hats. But the only creatures I knew of that wore shoes were the two-legs.

There wasn't really any bad blood between molpies and two-legs, except for those folks up in the hills who had a habit of throwing things at any molpy that wandered too close to their encampments. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to have backup. I opened the drawer where I kept my 9 mm Bearetta and waited for the door to open. Somewhere in the distance, I could hear the sound of a chain saw starting up.

The door opened and the two-legs entered. I immediately relaxed. They were young; not cubs, but not quite adults either. They looked nervous, and a little alarmed when they set eyes on my relatively large and furry frame.

At first, no one said anything. Then the female spoke.

"Are you the one they call the Molpy Hunter?" she asked.

"Yep, that's me," I answered. “Michael Ursa's the name, but you can call me Mscha. What can I do for you?"

"I'm looking for the molpy that killed my pa."

I was immediately reminded of the joke about a wolpy going into a bar, but I could tell the two-leg was not in a joking mood.

"So, who is this molpy? What do you know about him?" I asked.

"Not much," she replied. "I know he attacked my uncle and my dad when they were traveling in the hills three yips ago. They both got away, but my pa died of his wounds before he made it home."

She stopped for a moment, visibly upset. Then she pulled herself together and continued. "My uncle didn't know what kind of molpy it was. He had never seen one like it before. Like a meowlpy, but. . .well, he drew a picture of it."

The girl reached into her dilgunnerang and pulled out a folded piece of paper, which she opened and handed to me.

I smoothed the paper on my desk and stared at it. The long, low body; the black fur; the long tail. . .

The girl's uncle had drawn the stick figure of a man next to it for comparison. The beast was big.

I looked up at the girl. "This is impossible. This looks like a raptorcat. Only problem is, there haven been raptorcats around here for yips. Your uncle was probably pretty shaken up by the experience. He must have made a mistake."

The boy spoke up for the first time

"I don't think so," he said. "Not since we've seen it as well."

The two exchanged looks, then the girl rolled up her pant leg. Four red, angry lines ran across her knee from one side of her leg to the other.

I whistled. "When and where did that happen?"

The girl rolled her pant leg back down. "A few wips ago. Right before the flood. We were climbing into the hills, trying to figure out what was happening to the sea, when this thing attacked us in an abandoned village."

“But you got away.”

The boy nodded. “I saw it just before it attacked. I pushed her out of the way, but it turned on me. Fortunately, she had her thwapping stick. She hit the molpy and it ran off.”

A look passed between the pair. I couldn’t quite figure out the relationship between the two. I had the feeling that they weren’t too sure themselves.

"And what do you plan to do if you find this guy?" I asked.

The girl stuck her chin out defiantly. “You let us worry about that,” she said.

I stared thoughtfully out the window. Helping two-legs hunt a molpy that didn't exist, and could kill them they did find it. It was a pretty epsilon job all around. But there was something about the pair. I found their mixture of naiveté and courage somewhat charming. I realized that I wanted to help them.

"OK,” I said. “I’ll takethe job. Not sure what I’ll find, but I’ll at least try to get you some answers.”

The pair looked relieved. Then the boy spoke up.

“About the fee…we had to leave a lot of stuff behind when we left our home, and…” He paused.

I said, “Well, typically, it’s a retainer of 20 clams, then 10 clams an hour plus expenses.”

The two exchanged another look, and seemed to come to some sort of silent agreement.

"Ok," said the girl. She reached into her dilgunnerang and pulled out a small sack, which she placed on my desk.

"Here,” she said. “That's 15 clams. We'll have to come back with the rest."

I glanced at the mollusks. The clams were pretty small, but most were these days. Probably would be till populations readjusted to the new water levels.

"This will do for the retainer," I said. "We can talk about the rest later. “

The pair looked relieved. Then suddenly the boy spoke up. "Hey, I can get you more of those."

He was pointing at the box of Yappo Biscuits.

I was incredulous. "You can get more Yappo Biscuits? Are they even making them any more?”

“My Aunt Bunny worked in the bakery that made them," the boy replied. "We have some at home. And they’re rebuilding the bakery. When they start making them again. I can get you more."

I grinned. "Folks, I think we've got ourselves a deal. What are your names, anyway?"

The boy said, "This is Megan, and they call me Cueball."

He grinned and rubbed his head, which was in fact quite round.

I smiled and held out my paw. "Nice to meet you both."

There was just a momentary hesitation, then Megan reached out and shook my paw. Her hand looked small and bare in mine, and once again, I found myself impressed with her courage.

Cueball shook hands as well, then they turned to go.

“Wait!” I called after them. “ How can I get hold of you?”

They turned back. Megan said, “We've made a new settlement in the woods right next to the shore. But—,” She hesitated, and Cueball spoke up.

“Maybe its best if we just come to you.”

I nodded. I understood what they were saying. Their people might be a little uncomfortable if a full-sized bear-molpy showed up in their village. “OK. You know where to find me.”

The couple nodded, then turned and left the office.

I found myself staring at the door and the writing on the window. asrU .S leahciM. This was going to be quite a case. It was time to call in the big guns

I picked up the phone.

"BlitzGirl? It's Mscha. Get over here. We've got a case."

Wowterfulsome, lmjb! I can barely
Spoiler:
Wait for it!
for the next chapter!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:In the UK it's even harder because you can't just choose anything you want and go ahead and order it - vehicle registration is a lot more regulated and bureaucratic here. I'm pretty sure they have to follow a certain format of letters/numbers, and you can't just make your own, they're all assigned by the government or vehicle licensing people or whoever does that stuff. If you want a "custom" one you have to buy a pre-existing one that most closely fits what you want (see HES's "MO14 YUP" upthread). They have auctions and things where more "interesting" plates can be bought (for ridiculous amounts of money). That's why you so rarely see custom plates here in the UK. People only tend to get them to show off how rich they are.

Other than random rules about "inappropriate" phrases, I can pretty much get anything I want to pay $30 a year to have as long as no one else took it first. Not real sure how that compares to other states, cost-wise.

HES wrote:I take it ANPR (Automatic number-plate recognition) isn't a big thing in the US, then. Punctuation would really screw it over.

I've heard that our punctuation can cause issues in other states, but I don't have any real experience with it. I believe the punctuation isn't considered a real part of the license plate, so MOLPY! and MOLPY? and MOLPY would all be the same, and only one would be allowed. (Whichever one was requested first.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0341

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

YIELDONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:54 pm UTC

Nice Act of the Clerics ucim! :)

Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah

And congrats MystiCat!

Also, wow, just by accident found a fun thing about Spoilers: After you open a spoiler, you can close it and reopen it again by hitting ENTER, you don't need to scroll back up to close it! Though after closing, you still have to scroll up to keep reading from after the spoiler, so not very useful! :mrgreen:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Scene 33

Spoiler:

close-up on First Cleric

Awesomeful Acts, as always, ucim!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Nice Act of the Clerics ucim! :)

Smopa hvala nuvi dict amuah

And congrats MystiCat!

Also, wow, just by accident found a fun thing about Spoilers: After you open a spoiler, you can close it and reopen it again by hitting ENTER, you don't need to scroll back up to close it! Though after closing, you still have to scroll up to keep reading from after the spoiler, so not very useful! :mrgreen:

Yep, that'd be a feature of most browsers - tab navigation. Clicking (or tabbing to) a control focuses it, and then it can be "Clicked" with the mouse OR enter. Fun fact: this also works with buttons and things on most windows (unless the developer specifically disabled it, but most of the OS dialogues for windows allow it), and most flash applications.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Molpy Report

We missed some molpies at the dead tree...

Looks like the (or a) snake, and antpies (termolpies?) on the tree?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Intentional redundancy.

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

Woo, a multiple of 100 page!!

Glad OTTers enjoyed my OTTerComic :D :D

So, this happened:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SandcastleBuild ... st_on_the/

So, this happened:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SandcastleBuild ... st_on_the/

Also I keep misreading PayasYouDraw as PapayasYouDraw
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

Treeish skywriting manip, yappo! I agree with the swoopraptors. Image
And now we know why Cuegan was so interested in the dead tree. Molpyants*! :)

*not in my pants
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 am UTC

JFOM Blitz Report 16
Progress: NP204/np293

I left out my previous report in the middle of a NP. So my new report starts by continuing on NP195 (in particular, buffygirl got a hat - that should immediately flash as a very important thing for anyone vaguely familiar with OTT history).

There is discussion of units of measurement later on NP195 (come to think of it, there probably was discussion of units of measurement on NP194 and earlier). IIRC, in the Present - as we know it in the late 17th hectonewpage (though I've heard that some declare it the early 18th, and it might well be the early 18th when I post this report) - the only length unit is the Cueball (shortened to cue, que, or q); but while they're pretty close to it as of NP195, they hadn't entirely declared it (though someone proposed something pretty similar).

Um... buffygirl got another hat on NP196. That's ridiculous - it hadn't been a NewPage yet! Good thing she saved all the previous ones (in a slight past-edit). Update from lower down on NP196: yet another hat :?

RobIrr is another blitzer who didn't make signposts. Coincidentally, I was pretty definitely sure xer username was Roblrr (with a lowercase L), but apparently it's RobIrr (with an uppercase i).

What's that "loadtest" thing? I don't remember anything like that in my OTC history (and it definitely sounds like a significant, if quite weird, event).

A brief search check (for different reasons) somewhat explained the weird appearance of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters: apparently they were called the Newpixian Orthodox Timewairers before (around NP186). Still weird how the first use of the "modern" version seemed to think it had already been well-known (though, possibly due to Madness, nobody noticed anyway).

Remember how I said, two reports ago, that "pope" got filtered starting on NP162 and nobody noticed? Well, seems Elmach finally noticed... on NP199. That should be some sort of a record (and no, it wasn't particularly brief in terms of Time passed, either - it's a gap of almost exactly two dips).

From context, it almost looks like the 8000th post was the "unlikely" one by Helper, which is three posts behind that spot now. That might partly explain the "pope-goating force" noticed by mr0b (someone should make a graph of my listings for post movements; on my part, I'll try to be more thorough if/when I get to the actual page-papacy, but, er, I'm not even up to the BlitzGirl epoch yet).

Pope Helper I is elected on NP201. For some reason I thought that happened later.

Another pretty definite message to BlitzGirl on NP203. I wasn't (consciously) aware her quest started that early; I might get there by next blitz report if I'm lucky.

And I'm ending this blitz report now, because 1) real life *tomorrow, and 2) the apparently-now-traditional blitz-report-ONG :D

CUEBALLISCLIMBONG...
(on second thought, he's probably looking at a flower)
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 am UTC

Bad Cueball! No making out with flowers before making out with Megan first!

january1may wrote:A brief search check (for different reasons) somewhat explained the weird appearance of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters: apparently they were called the Newpixian Orthodox Timewairers before (around NP186). Still weird how the first use of the "modern" version seemed to think it had already been well-known (though, possibly due to Madness, nobody noticed anyway).

Might just have been familiarity with the Eastern Orthodox Church of the Outside. But I wasn't Present back then, so I don't know.

january1may wrote:What's that "loadtest" thing? I don't remember anything like that in my OTC history (and it definitely sounds like a significant, if quite weird, event).

I guess you're referring to this post:
Smithers wrote:
danopia wrote:Someone dun screwed with the comic stream soon after last frame.

From 23:02:46 to 23:04:33, the stream of image URLs wa​s spammed with an stream of timestamps eve​ry 3.5s, named "loadtest"; no idea wh​y or wh​at the duration means, but just figured ic'd let yo​u guys k​now. It screwed with the IRC new​pix bot, for on​e thing.

That could be quite interesting indeed! Maybe Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic is planning a 'finale', the every promised 'it', which will involve releasing several new frames in a row. This must have been to ensure that the image servers could take the strain of however many people/browsers/bots are currently viewing the comic. Could this finally be the end of Time?

Which sounds interesting, I had forgotten about that. I don't think a conclusion was reached at the Time.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Hmm.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 am UTC

I was noticing yesterdip that nothing I've added to the hotdog in the last few mips has been really OTC/OTT related at all. Just whatever random stuff popped into my head.

Also I originally envisioned getting more community participation that what turned out. I also didn't expect to be working on it for so long. I think I'll try to recruit some of my redditors as developers after I get the current bugs out. Thoughts?
BlitzGirl wrote:Bad Cueball! No making out with flowers before making out with Megan first!
Ha!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:13 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I was noticing yesterdip that nothing I've added to the hotdog in the last few mips has been really OTC/OTT related at all.

I was thinking that the other dip when I looked at the boosts list in the OTW. Something about crystal and bonemeal and vacuum cleaners. Still molpish, just less OTTerish.

Eternal Density wrote:Also I originally envisioned getting more community participation that what turned out. I also didn't expect to be working on it for so long. I think I'll try to recruit some of my redditors as developers after I get the current bugs out. Thoughts?

What sort of community participation were you originally thinking about? I think the course of the hotdog changed when it wound up having such a following on the Outside, which you probably didn't expect when you made it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Grapevine.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I was noticing yesterdip that nothing I've added to the hotdog in the last few mips has been really OTC/OTT related at all.

I was thinking that the other dip when I looked at the boosts list in the OTW. Something about crystal and bonemeal and vacuum cleaners. Still molpish, just less OTTerish.

Eternal Density wrote:Also I originally envisioned getting more community participation that what turned out. I also didn't expect to be working on it for so long. I think I'll try to recruit some of my redditors as developers after I get the current bugs out. Thoughts?

What sort of community participation were you originally thinking about? I think the course of the hotdog changed when it wound up having such a following on the Outside, which you probably didn't expect when you made it.

Mainly I was hoping to have more people submitting code. waveney's been a great help in that regard but I think I originally imagined more. Though I guess I didn't really ask for that particularly clearly. Anyhow while I have plenty more stuff planned (dragon breeding stuff and diamonds for the diamond memorials (the final stage after glass monuments)) I'd really rather spend my time on something else. If enough people are interested I think I might end up as more of a manager. I just can't keep putting 100% of my free time into it anymore.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 am UTC

Makes sense to me! SB should be something fun for you, not a total Time-suck. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I should OTTify something.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:39 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Makes sense to me! SB should be something fun for you, not a total Time-suck. :wink:

Yeah, it started to get counter-productive. Kinda like that kitchen cabinetry business which went bankrupt.
Anyhow, as Molpish as Time is, it's about time (oops) I did something which I can actually profit from. Well, SB I profited from in the practical skill and experience sense but it's become too much of a core to just give out my time any more. Well apart from a bit more major-bug-fixing which I really should have done a couple of days ago but I just didn't feel like it.

An OTTification of some words from the dictionary:
Spoiler:
Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy
Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy
Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy

Grapevine, Grapevine!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 am UTC

Awesomeful Molpy Hunter, lmjb! *waits for more*
Here, for your refreshment:
Spoiler:
Image Image

And a new AotC4!, Thanks, ucim! And happy 1700 posts!
Spoiler:

mscha wrote:Molpy Report

We missed some molpies at the dead tree...
Spoiler:
Looks like the (or a) snake, and antpies (termolpies?) on the tree?

Yay antmolpies! Finally!

BlitzGirl wrote:Bad Cueball! No making out with flowers before making out with Megan first!

Maybe he wants to pick a flower for her? Although she might prefer the flower unpicked so she can bop it...

ETA for decree
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9RL6D23jk
I have no idea why;
I am pleased that silly song is moving along with Time.

Did you leave the guy with the bike, behind?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0343

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:30 am UTC

DARLONGNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:38 am UTC

addams wrote:Did you leave the guy with the bike, behind?

BalthasarOfTheBike? Sort of, in a sense.
He chose to bicycle back into the early pastpages of this needle-pulled thing and read it all from the beginning.

We await his blitz reports.

TEMPORAL EDIT

```~~**~* !whirly time ripple! *~**~~```

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Makes sense to me! SB should be something fun for you, not a total Time-suck. :wink:

Yeah, it started to get counter-productive. Kinda like that kitchen cabinetry business which went bankrupt.

Randamned puns. So hard to keep track of 'em all!

```~~**~* !whirly exit time ripple! *~**~~```
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:20 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
addams wrote:Did you leave the guy with the bike, behind?

BalthasarOfTheBike? Sort of, in a sense.
He chose to bicycle back into the early pastpages of this needle-pulled thing and read it all from the beginning.

We await his blitz reports.

I'll go look for him.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mrob27

Time Capsule from mrob27, Deposited NP1003

Postby mrob27 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:45 am UTC

Time Capsule from mrob27, Deposited NP1003
Do not open until NP1700

Concerning OTTification and the Art of Translation
...And (Of Course), Bots

@balthasar_s has recently embarked on the great epic quest of Blitzing, and I have been aiding him a little, by fashioning bots and sharing OTTimeter designs. In my correspondence with him I was reminded of the excellent Cyberiad (Cyberiada) by Stanisław Lem, a collection of short stories which include epic journeys, bots and lots of creative writing. In other words, what we do here.
  My copy of "Cyberiad" is an English translation from the original Polish, and it is superb. I was completely stunned by the realization that this was a translation from another language (and not French or Germanic, but a Slavic language!) Here is an example from the tale about Trurl's electronic bard (Wyprawa pierwsza A, czyli Elektrybałt Trurla) :

Michael Kandel, translating Stanisław Lem, wrote:Suddenly he brightened and said:
  "Have it compose a poem — a poem about a haircut! But lofty, noble, tragic, timeless, full of love, treachery, retribution, quiet heroism in the face of certain doom! Six lines, cleverly rhymed, and every word beginning with the letter s!!"
  "And why not throw in a full exposition of the general theory of nonlinear automata while you're at it? growled Trurl. "You can't give it such idiotic—"
  But he didn't finish. A melodious voice filled the hall with the following:

Seduced, shaggy Samson snored.
  She scissored short. Sorely shorn,
  Soon shackled slave, Samson sighed,
  Silently scheming,
  Sightlessly seeking
  Some savage, spectacular suicide.

Kandel had to create a completely new poem to fit the story. I believe this is the original:
- Niech ułoży wiersz o cyberotyce! - rzekł nagle, rozjaśniony. - Żeby tam było najwyżej sześć linijek, a w nich o miłości i o zdradzie, o muzyce, o Murzynach, o wyższych sferach, o nieszczęściu, o kazirodztwie, do rymu i żeby wszystkie słowa były tylko na literę C!!
- A całego wykładu ogólnej teorii nieskończonych automatów nie ma tam czasem być? - wrzasnął rozwścieczony do żywego Trurl. - Nie można stawiać tak kretyńskich warun...
Ale nie dokończył, ponieważ słodki baryton, wypełniając całą halę, odezwał się właśnie:

Cyprian cyberotoman, cynik, ceniąc czule
  Czarnej córy cesarskiej cud ciemnego ciała,
  Ciągle cytrą czarował. Czerwieniała cała,
  Cicha, co dzień czekała, cierpiała, czuwała...
  ...Cyprian ciotkę całuje, cisnąwszy czarnulę!!

...but I cannot read Polish. I do not know which poem is better, perhaps both are (it depends on the point of view offered by the language of the reader) but the English one is quite impressive, and the fact that it along with the rest of the story was translated makes it spectacular.

Why am I posting this here? Because this is OTTification, by which I mean, OTTification is translation. And helping a fellow bot build bots whilst travelling through time and space is inspiring.
  More to come.

-- Image mrob27

(P.S. Happy 1700, fellow OTTers!)
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 am UTC

Thank you for the link.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,

Mr. E. Poe
http://www.heise.de/ix/raven/Literature ... Raven.html
What teenagers did before scary movies.

I Found It!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvI2fTsj ... e=youtu.be

After looking through pages of posts, one post said, "For The Confused"
I followed the link. There it was!

What a great deal of work/fun has been done!
Is it an explanation? Is it a warning?

It was easy to find, once I had found it.
It's The Time Thread.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:18 am UTC

addams wrote:Thank you for the link.

Mr. E. Poe

You may be interested in this ottification of "The Raven" by Rule110:
Spoiler:
The Alt-Text

Once upon a morning cheery, while I pondered, slightly bleary
Over many a new webcomic full of dreary trendy wit,
Suddenly with brief foreboding I beheld an image loading -
'T'was a PNG decoding on my panel bit by bit.
Just a simple shadow-picture taking shape there bit by bit.
I thought, 'What's the point of it?'

For the frame presented merely two stick-figures drawn austerely,
Seated rather cavalierly on some lonesome barren spit.
Eagerly I sought for meaning in their placid careless leaning,
Yet that earnest mental gleaning explicated not a whit; -
''Tis a caption missing,' said I, comprehending not a whit,
'Should explain wherefore they sit.'

Not inclined to whine or curse it, I intended to disperse it
But my mouse chanced to traverse it and up popped a tiny chit:
An alt-text, I saw, not fearing to expect the purpose clearing
By the letters there appearing like a scroll of holy writ.
Rapt I read the words inscribed there, terrible as holy writ –
And they spelt out: 'Wait for it.'

Wait for it? I sat and pondered while my morbid fancies wandered
Into strange phantasmagoric places few ever admit.
What grim portent was it sending; was 'it' coming soon, or ending?
Some catastrophe impending, all our mortal lives forfeit?
Was the Judgment Day upon us, holding every soul forfeit?
Quoth the alt-text: 'Wait for it.'

Anon my mania deflated and it seemed my fears abated.
(For no soul knows what is fated, and to fate we all submit.)
Then my gaze suddenly lifted, for like desert sands that drifted,
The comic page had shifted, though no refresh I'd transmit.
Lo! The figures changed position, with no page refresh transmit.

As time passed, I gained conviction this must be some sort of fiction.
Twice an hour, a new depiction on my browser screen alit.
Thus they seemed designed for spelling out some tale that needed telling
But my mind was still rebelling, for I saw no benefit
As the couple played in sand; whatever was the benefit?

Castles, rivers, swimming, scaffold, rising sea: all left me baffled,
As frames flowed in slow succession like a garment being knit.
Though my kenning should be gaining with each frame, 'twere no explaining
Every question still remaining: 'What's it mean, how does it fit?
Where's it going, what's the point, who are these folks, how's it all fit?'

No surcease from my reflecting stopped the questions interjecting:
'Is the artist now expecting? Or is it his family's split?
Is it all 'bout global warming? Is it cancer lesions swarming?
I pray you, be more informing! All these mysteries remit.
For my peace of mind and sanity, the mysteries remit.'

'Your coyness is most unpleasing. I won't wait,' I shouted, wheezing -
'All these pictures are just teasing, no intention to commit.
Black stick figure and sand castle, images so trite and facile
They're not worth near this much hassle. Leave my monitor unlit.
Take thy comic off my browser; leave my monitor unlit!'

And the alt-text, ne'er updating, still is waiting, still is waiting
As each new frame looms, relating tick by tick the drawn-out skit.
I can but, through days ensuing, ponder on my soul's undoing,
The one hope for my renewing being that I somehow quit
Whilst the alt-text whispers softly that I'm doomed never to quit.
I can only... wait for it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
addams wrote:Thank you for the link.

Mr. E. Poe

You may be interested in this ottification of "The Raven" by Rule110:
Spoiler:
The Alt-Text

Once upon a morning cheery, while I pondered, slightly bleary
Over many a new webcomic full of dreary trendy wit,
Suddenly with brief foreboding I beheld an image loading -
'T'was a PNG decoding on my panel bit by bit.
Just a simple shadow-picture taking shape there bit by bit.
I thought, 'What's the point of it?'

For the frame presented merely two stick-figures drawn austerely,
Seated rather cavalierly on some lonesome barren spit.
Eagerly I sought for meaning in their placid careless leaning,
Yet that earnest mental gleaning explicated not a whit; -
''Tis a caption missing,' said I, comprehending not a whit,
'Should explain wherefore they sit.'

Not inclined to whine or curse it, I intended to disperse it
But my mouse chanced to traverse it and up popped a tiny chit:
An alt-text, I saw, not fearing to expect the purpose clearing
By the letters there appearing like a scroll of holy writ.
Rapt I read the words inscribed there, terrible as holy writ –
And they spelt out: 'Wait for it.'

Wait for it? I sat and pondered while my morbid fancies wandered
Into strange phantasmagoric places few ever admit.
What grim portent was it sending; was 'it' coming soon, or ending?
Some catastrophe impending, all our mortal lives forfeit?
Was the Judgment Day upon us, holding every soul forfeit?

Anon my mania deflated and it seemed my fears abated.
(For no soul knows what is fated, and to fate we all submit.)
Then my gaze suddenly lifted, for like desert sands that drifted,
The comic page had shifted, though no refresh I'd transmit.
Lo! The figures changed position, with no page refresh transmit.

As time passed, I gained conviction this must be some sort of fiction.
Twice an hour, a new depiction on my browser screen alit.
Thus they seemed designed for spelling out some tale that needed telling
But my mind was still rebelling, for I saw no benefit
As the couple played in sand; whatever was the benefit?

Castles, rivers, swimming, scaffold, rising sea: all left me baffled,
As frames flowed in slow succession like a garment being knit.
Though my kenning should be gaining with each frame, 'twere no explaining
Every question still remaining: 'What's it mean, how does it fit?
Where's it going, what's the point, who are these folks, how's it all fit?'

No surcease from my reflecting stopped the questions interjecting:
'Is the artist now expecting? Or is it his family's split?
Is it all 'bout global warming? Is it cancer lesions swarming?
I pray you, be more informing! All these mysteries remit.
For my peace of mind and sanity, the mysteries remit.'

'Your coyness is most unpleasing. I won't wait,' I shouted, wheezing -
'All these pictures are just teasing, no intention to commit.
Black stick figure and sand castle, images so trite and facile
They're not worth near this much hassle. Leave my monitor unlit.
Take thy comic off my browser; leave my monitor unlit!'

And the alt-text, ne'er updating, still is waiting, still is waiting
As each new frame looms, relating tick by tick the drawn-out skit.
I can but, through days ensuing, ponder on my soul's undoing,
The one hope for my renewing being that I somehow quit
Whilst the alt-text whispers softly that I'm doomed never to quit.
I can only... wait for it.

Time has some talented posters.
What fun. Thank you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”