1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 am UTC

ED just made a hotdog called Pure Idle that focuses on
Spoiler:
waiting for it.
It is on ED's index page.

Papal decree: OTTify xkcd Slightly Worse
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:40 am UTC

Oh no. It's an OTTer trap!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:44 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh no. It's an OTTer trap!

It sure is. Found it on the outside website, Reddit, /r/incremental_games.
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re:

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:46 am UTC

@ucim:

yapES wrote:
Last edited by AluisioASG on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:46 am UTC

Oh ch*rp, ED, what have you done!? It's even worse than this!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Oh ch*rp, ED, what have you done!? It's even worse than this!

Baobabs, kudos to the SMBC team for successfully predicting C**kie Clicker way back in 2010H.

...what's my score in Pure Idle up to now? *glares at screen*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Can't catch me despite my lack of gingerbread.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh ch*rp, ED, what have you done!? It's even worse than this!

Baobabs, kudos to the SMBC team for successfully predicting C**kie Clicker way back in 2010H.

I'm up to 348.302K... and counting.

BTW because it's just a page of the castle hotdog I can't really update it without also updating the other and I'm currently Waiting to see if I get any more pull requests before putting out a new version of that...
I think I really need to split it off to a separate site and project. But to do that I want to extract all the non-SB hotdog stuff into separate files so I can reuse all that javascript, an d I want to wait for one of my contributors to autoreformat the javascript which will be after the next version.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

[Waiting Intensifies]

Eternal Density

Oops

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:43 am UTC

I mucked around with Pure Idle and now it looks like the optimum strategy is to reload every second. Oops. I think I better change that.

ETA
[vending intensies]

Code: Select all

## 3.31

### Waveney:
- Safety Net Boost to stop Temporal rifts rifting to shortpix
- Safety Blanket Boost to stop losing longpix only boosts when on shortpix
- Aleph One Boost to allow unlimited Infinite purchases of sand and glass
- This Sucks upgrades actually cost the quoted prices
- Discovery and Monument counts in stats
- Reduction to Italian Plumber Spam
- Upgrades to Italian Plumber
- Valued Customer badge description corrected

### LucidCrux:
- Lots of new icons!
- Significant changes to icon code to reduce the amount of CSS required (currently breaks the 4 coloured icons)
- LCB typo fix

## Unponderable:
- Lots of untagging of tagged items which don't need to be tagged

## ED:
- I didn't really do any programming and I still feel like I'm spending all my free time on this
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:21 am UTC

Awesomeful new AotC!
Treeish ambigrams!

BlitzGirl wrote:Seashell Vendor!

He sells seashells down by the ImageImageImageImage.

That period is redundant.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

I'm idling :(

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Awesomeful new AotC!
Treeish ambigrams!

Yet molpish.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0392

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 am UTC

BATHONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

mrob27

Time-Capsule from mrob27, deposited NP1054

Postby mrob27 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 am UTC

Time-Capsule from mrob27, deposited NP1054
Do not open until NP1715

I have now read approximately 2,051,000 words (8,912,000 characters) of the OTT, if level-N quotes are counted 4-N as much as unquoted text (which agrees fairly well with how quickly I skim repeated text in quotes). This is well over the length of all the Harry Potter books plus Tolkien.
    Actually, now's not a bad time for a word count update. The word counts for the OTT, up to and including post OTT:1715:8, are:

• 3,345,737 words, 14,564,948 characters (if level-N quotes count 8-N as much as unquoted text)
  • 3,690,684 words, 16,106,972 characters (if level-N quotes count 4-N as much as unquoted text)
  • 4,557,441 words, 19,976,914 characters (if level-N quotes count 2-N as much as unquoted text)
  • 7,452,748 words, 32,881,424 characters (if quotes are counted fully)

You can compare this to the stats I posted on NP1458.
   I haven't done a proper travelogue or correspondence since I was on NP982, so here we go:

Travelogue: OTC Developments

There was a very4 Unicode graphic frame by @taixzo, which doesn't look so great in my browser but renders perfectly in plain ASCII in the terminal:

Dawn arrived, Cueball slept (too much, according to everyone who is not Cueball), then M&C found, in rapid succession, the first Beanie survey tower, the Beanies, and healing paste panther salve.

I was impressed with how quickly the survey towers were identified, and the early analysis of Beanish was also quite impressive (this is an example), given how hard it generally is to figure out an unknown language in an unknown script.

We also got some 4 commentary on the OTC in the form of graphic threats to tropes:

HES wrote:Blindposting: 10np behind [and] I swear, if cueball is still asleep I'm taking a sledgehammer to the fourth wall and beating him with his own sticks

k.bookbinder wrote: "The person they are running towards had better be La Petite, or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun.

BlitzGirl wrote:Sounds like fun! I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it. :twisted:

All the Wildness in the OTT

The "Chirpy Molpy Wait" song got stuck in my head, until overpowered by "Molpy molpy molpy chirp.". So of course I then had to listen to Molpy Dance which overpowers all.

A little bit before the big 103, I got the stunning realization that our wild theories, competing 'standards' or lack of consensus, and sometime emphasis on the sillier things like semencoffeecancerbabies, results from our flame-free ideal. It's hard to discourage someone else's contribution without risking being offensive. And that's pretty cool.

@Wildhound created the rather cool Android live wallpaper; and @BlitzGirl gave us her lovely xkcd 1000 OTTification.

Meanwhile @Dracomax stepped down from his role as Lord High Inquisitor (amidst much reassurance) and @ChronosDragon began his haberdashery.

And of course, I reached @AluisioASG's Beacon Alpha on NP1003:
Spoiler:

This was a welcome respite for Blitzers, with nothing of the sort since NP384.
    One purpose of the Beacon is to remind us Blitzers to send reports to the Present. Of course, I'm also running Blitzer Tracker, but I pre-load pages as insurance against the 503's so its number is a little high. The numbers in my sig are more accurate, or check the end of my detailed travelogue.

AluisioASG also gave us two more scripts, cake time (or "round post alert"), and frame auto-linker. The latter was part of a broader discussion of the confusion about frame numbering, exacerbated by the meteor frames. To help with this, @mscha added several URL syntaxes to his website, so you can find a frame given any type of frame number.

Correspondence

I helped @balthasar_s begin his bicycle-blitz-on-the-moon, building him a little helper-bot to do some scans before his significantly more impressive bothasar_s was activated. To honor the occasion, I OTTified the Stanisław Lem story and I'm very happy everyone liked it. It was a joy to write. nopixbot has a little more to search for, since at least one response calls me "Mrorl27". Ah, yes, I should have known that would happen. :D

Image The Ch*rping M*stard Chronicles Image

BlitzGirl wrote: The 503 Facebook Chronicles
Excerpted from the Facebook group during the Second (or Third?) Great Mustard of the OTT

Thank you, as always, for bringing the FB thread into the OTT. You are of course helping to advance the OTT master plan for world domination:

But ... by my reckoning, there have been no fewer than nine :shock: Great Mustards of the OTT. Here is my chronicle, with ratings on a scale of Image (least ch*rpy) to Image Image Image Image Image (seaishly ch*rped to st*amb*ttles) :

1. newpix 5299-5300, NewPage 1571 (Outsider time 2013-10-26) Image
   Forum was slow, but still works if you're patient; here is a relevant comment. I was on the road, returning from a visit to my father. It was so bad that I thought my tethered 3G access was to blame. This was not particularly "great" compared to the later ones, but it was "great" by being the first in a very long time.

2. newpix 5865-5869, NewPage 1621 (Outsider time 2013-11-19) Image Image
   All requests take 120 seconds, some succeed while others get a 503. this newpixbot post was delayed 0.12 newpix past the expected time 5865.50, as attested by @mscha here. @BlitzGirl noted the mustard here and haiku'd it here. It held up my Blitz and prevented me from making my blitzreport, but I posted haiku instead. This is the Mustard that incited me to create imagebot. I also began creating O̶T̶T̶503ifications (collected here) to post to FB and later to the OTT here.

3. newpix 5900-5905, NewPage 1622 (Outsider time 2013-11-20) Image Image Image
   @ChronosDragon reported it to the Site/Forum Issues topic, here is an SQL error quoted by @BlitzGirl.

4. newpix 5912-5920, NewPage 1623 (Outsider time 2013-11-21) Image Image Image Image
   Five consecutive newpix with no response at all. @HES got the first post after the mustard ended, here. imagebot announced her arrival here. Two newpixbot ONGs were delayed (they are here and here). A FaceBook thread developed, which @BlitzGirl summarized here. A few OTTers sent announcements via chirpingmustard.com, others passed their time by watching no fewer than five Randall Munroe townhall meeting videos (listed by @HES here)

5. newpix 6038-6041 (and maybe a little bit around newpix 6045), NewPage 1633 (Outsider time 2013-11-26) Image Image
   Noted by @BlitzGirl here. This is the first mustard recorded by imagebot.

6. newpix 6074-6077, NewPage 1635-1636 (Outsider time 2013-11-28, Thanksgiving in the US). Image Image Image
   First noted by @taixzo here, lasted until around here. (I would have given this 4 Image's if it weren't a major holidix for half of the OTTers)

7. newpix 6634-6640, NewPage 1674 (Outsider time 2013-12-21) Image Image Image Image
   No-one could post for six newpix. @TheMinim got the first post-mustard post, here and @SBN posted the missONG mysterONG here.

8. newpix 6887-6907, NewPage 1683 (Outsider time 2014-01-01) Image Image Image Image
   @HES got the post-mustard post, four mysteryONGs were late. By the numbers this was the worst to date, by my reckoning, but I gave it just 4 Image because of the coincidence with Heretical New Year.

9. newpix 7194-7200, NewPage 1702 (Outsider time 2014-01-13), the most recent one. Image Image Image Image Image
    The most recent Mustard, and almost as great as #8. @Eternal Density got the first post and @BlitzGirl summarized the FB thread.

The more recent mustards are in imagebot's detailed record, seen at mrob.com/time/fora-uptime.txt. The blank spots are simply times when imagebot was not running (which can only be attributable to human errorH).

Okay, I guess that's about all we've got to report for now. I apologize for Timborme's silence, but we're still keeping our agreement to not involve him in posts that have spoilers about the Afterwhen.

-- Image mrob27

H For example, there is a gap of more than one dix because I failed to recognize uppercase extension PNG on an indexed PNG image, and imagebot stopped and patiently waited for me to notice.

Spoiler:
taixzo-unicode.png
How I see taixzo's unicode TimeFrame

little-mustard.gif
smaller mustard bottle GIF
little-mustard.gif (1.48 KiB) Viewed 16361 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Awesomeful new AotC!
Treeish ambigrams!

Yet molpish.

All redundancy is molpish, except for the molpish redundancy.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 am UTC

Treeish ch*rping m*stard analysis, mrob! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:He sells seashells down by the ImageImageImageImage.

Now that is difficult to say! That is, completely unpronounceable.

Today I learned a new word, ambigram, which is apparently synonymous with "awfulsome".

I almost clicked Mrob's molpy dance link, but I realised what it was just in time.

I've run out of breakfast so I have to finish ketchup.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

It's all related.

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 am UTC

I just watched The Sound of Music with the Daddy, who had somehow never seen it. Very glad that I waited to read Jose's awesomeful latest AotC until afterwards. I wouldn't have been able to stop giggling otherwise.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0393

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

AMAZONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

I just found a little bit of remaining ketchup:

Truly **dish, yet steakish ottification, AluisioASG!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

It's Time!
Not a sound from a molpy
Has the OTT lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The OTTifications collect at my feet
And the crowd begins to moan

It's Time!
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old dips
It was beautiful then
I remember
ThatTime I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every NewPage
Seems to be a fatalistic yearning
Someone mutters and a pun saw sputters
And soon it will be Ending

Diplight
I must wait for the Newpix
I must think of a new Time
And I mustn't give in
When Time II comes
This OTTification will be a memory too
And a new Time will begin

Burnt out NPs of Endish days
The stale cold smell of Epiloguing
An OTTer leaves, another starts Blitzing
It's all a form of coping

OTTify me
It's so easy to basement
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the thread
If you touch me
With a double dactyl or two
Look, a NewPage has begun

CATS - Memory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

Flutterbeewingish ottification! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

Steakish m*stard chronicling, mrob!
rvloon wrote:It's Time!
Not a sound from a molpy
Has the OTT lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight
The OTTifications collect at my feet
And the crowd begins to moan
Spoiler:
It's Time!
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old dips
It was beautiful then
I remember
ThatTime I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every NewPage
Seems to be a fatalistic yearning
Someone mutters and a pun saw sputters
And soon it will be Ending

Diplight
I must wait for the Newpix
I must think of a new Time
And I mustn't give in
When Time II comes
This OTTification will be a memory too
And a new Time will begin

Burnt out NPs of Endish days
The stale cold smell of Epiloguing
An OTTer leaves, another starts Blitzing
It's all a form of coping

OTTify me
It's so easy to basement
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the thread
If you touch me
With a double dactyl or two
Look, a NewPage has begun

CATS - Memory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY

Wowterful! Image I recognised the song almost immediately :mrgreen:

So, have Megball reached the summit now? This looks summitish.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:So, have Megball reached the summit now? This looks summitish.

Seems like it. Is Cueball is looking back down the way they came?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:54 pm UTC

If they're at the top, are they as crazy as they can get?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0394

Postby mscha » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

REVONGEMENTS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If they're at the top, are they as crazy as they can get?

But if Cue doesn't get any crazier, Meg will never want him! :(

Not to worry. Even if we don't get any Megball action in the comic, here's some Megball action in the form of another ambigram...

Spoiler:
CueMeg AmbigramANIM.gif

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm UTC

As long as it isn't actually a pile of viruses they're climbing...

What-if wrote:the sea is so big

The river is so small!
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

"Citation: Go and look at the sea. It's big." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(And it also mentions a gigantic flood.)

waveney

Postby waveney » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

There is a What-If The Sea is Big

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:(And it also mentions a gigantic flood.)

Not the good kind, though.

Loving the ambigrams, yappo et al. Something that is beyond my creative ability...
He/Him/His Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

Wait. Where the ch*rp am I? Looks like... a basement?
I think I really should continue on whatever I was doing.
Kot, kaverznik kovarnyj, kiberotoman, K koroleve kafrov kradetsya Kiprian...
...wait, wrong circuit. That's not what I wanted to post! Oh, here it is...

JFOM Blitz Report 28
Progress: NP223/np342

I actually thought that "loadtest" thing was preparation for the meteor. In fact, I definitely remembered writing that, but I guess I cut that section out. And that's good, because there's a much better answer mentioned on NP204 - that it was about the (then-)upcoming Othercomic, #1193 "Externalities" (the one with everyone trying to guess hashes... I wonder where did I see that before?)

I'm surprised mscha's post on NP205 was edited in *November. What was there that could've warranted any fixing? I suppose I might try to check back when I get to that part of the OTT, but it should be around NP1600, so I'm not even sure if I would ever get that far. I mean, I didn't even get to any blitzer stations yet (in fact, discounting random ketchup-blitzers, the only blitz reports I've got to yet are those by Beidah).

StratPlayer apparently completed a blitz. Seems that, without BlitzGirl to guide them, prospective blitzers don't think of posting progress reports (that said, I should get to BlitzGirl soon-ish - in fact, while I'm not entirely sure, I think I already passed her first post).

I didn’t know buffygirl was supposed to be possessed (though, in retrospect, I should've noticed that "Timewatcher" accident). I didn’t notice who elected any antipopes, either (though that’s quite an overabundance of hats).

Who the ch*rp is Peter Ustinov? Sounds like a Russian, but doesn't ring any bells to me (no pun intended; BlitzGirl, just in case you still want to take a punsaw to NP210, use it on Wnderer - and again just in case, yeah, xe is in fact an OTTer).

Wait. When did the Madness end? I somehow missed that (and I was actually checking up that yes, yes, it's still going, ooh, shiny, wait, where did it disappear?) On second thought (as in "I had to re-read the last NP again"), that probably happened around 11:23pm UTC on NP210 (or whatever this might correspond to in non-heretic time units, I don't feel like doing the conversion).

I suppose deciphering the sentence "Eow can-did spake like that ænigweg" and/or figuring out the subtle errors in it (I have to admit, I didn't notice them myself) could be one of the more ridiculous OTTer tasks. At least as far as NP210s go (I've heard that random encoded/cyphered posts, both with and without errors, are much more common in the future; fortunately I hadn't yet got that far).

I also suppose Megan's action on NP211 (um, np310) definitely puts the giant boob theory to rest. I was surprised how long it lasted, actually (I didn't recall Megan taking so long to work on that mound originally). Unrelatedly, the first mention of "poped" doesn't actually have anything to do with popes (even though popes already exist at this point in the OTT).

Mashed potatoes don't actually stay up as well as sand does... AFAIK anyway. And what the ch*rp is a gravy?

I wasn't aware Black Hat Guy posted on the OTT, either (except as KarMann).

The original River2 is IMHO one of the biggest mysteries in the OTC story (the Sandcastle Eon of it anyway - we saw more mystery in the Journey Eon, I think, but that won't happen until BlitzGirl finishes her blitz, and as of NP213 she, if anything, barely started it yet). We never quite found out why the ch*rp did it retreat, and I'm pretty sure we would never find out about it in TimeAfterTime either, as by that point it should be under the sea1 already.

On second thought, I suppose "they're sandcastling in a dried-up river bed" is as good an explanation as any. I've definitely seen that on smaller10 scales, I just wasn't aware this could happen on bigger ones (but then we probably have next to no idea what are the water-absorbing properties of the Gulf of Lyongeo, as IOTL it is covered by much more water that it could've possibly absorbed, and it's unclear what would happen if/when all of that dries up). And just as I wrote that, I see willyshop put up a picture of exactly the thing I was talking about, on exactly the scale we need; so from that point on, unless I see anything better, I declare this the officialping explanation.

I never really felt that having a religion was a sign of anything really significant. I've seen Sheepism, which was based on a thread with roughly about as many pages (and about half as many posts) as the OTT up to the point I'm at, and I've seen Goatism, which wasn't even really based on anything but the existence of Sheepism (as far as I know anyway). I've seen dozens of supposed governments rise and fall in a matter of dips, approximately near the Third Sandbox Republic (not that this name would tell you anything). From my perspective, any discussion on the internet that went on for more than a few dozen pages had a very likely chance of inspiring a bunch of religions, churches and governments; though the OTT ones are uncommon in that they lasted for hundreds of dips (the typical lifespan of such a "religion" is roughly that of the Snowist heresy). Oh, and if what I previously said in this paragraph was a huge bunch of heresy... I'm terribly, terribly sorry.

As far as I can tell, it should really be "it actually retreated", with neithersp the apostrophe nor the S. Uncorrected m*stard? This would be np320 by mscha numbering (which is also mr*bdex numbering, which is the system used by me because it's the easiest way of aligning my NP/np numbers).

Anyone know what did drewhannay's app do? Sounds like it's some weird Android version of the DONGhot, but there's not enough detail to be sure either way. I suppose if it really can be set to shortpix/longpix independently of the actual change, it could be very helpful for people playing Sandcastle Builder.

Not-very-obligatory quote that I'll rather quote directly than comment on:
peewee_RotA wrote:
pixiemay wrote:There's been a lot of new levels aspired to and sunk to around here recently :)

We even set a record in the number of forum records we bothered care about and look up to confirm.

(For the record - pun not intended - they're only on NP216. There's a lot of OTT still to go. And there's a lot of very plausible record that it didn't yet set even in the Present, for that matter.)

I just missed a bunch of my blitz report by not copying (because briefly m*stard), so I'm briefly restarting again from NP216 (and to think that I was almost on NP223...)
I'll try to remember and rewrite what I wrote originally (as precisely as reasonably possible, though with some additions as I notice stuff I didn't notice originally... and, unfortunately, very possibly with some omissions if the reverse happens). Fortunately, seems there wasn't really much to comment on until NP218 anyway.

If your uncle Jack has problems getting back to the ground from his horse, he should climb down from it (or, if it's really that much of a problem, ask someone else to help him climb down from it). That said, I highly suspect that all of this is far more likely to happen to your nephew Jack, because your uncle Jack is probably taller than the horse is (wait, is that grammatically correct? sounds a little bit too similar to that "more people have been to Russia than I had" joke).

I saw rivers that looked just like what Crissa described on my trip in the Eastern Carpathians, even though the Eastern Carpathians are mountains. So "it goes through mountains" isn't a sufficient condition for a river not to look like that (I highly suspect it's not a necessary condition either, but that's beside the point).

Please, couldn't you OTTers of NP219 (and NP218 and NP220) make slightly less random sex pun jokes? How unfortunate that they didn't have BlitzGirl and her punsaw yet. I mean, if I wanted to read something about sex, I would've been reading UBEA, not OTT (and for that matter, UBEA has about three times as many episodes as OTT has posts, so there's a lot of variety).

On NP220, johndda wonders if Megan went to go get a ladder. If I remember this part of the OTC correctly, Megan went to go get a trebuchet, and ladders won't appear for another several hundred newpix; but still, what a prediction!

Kieryn's water level history picture is ridiculously spoiler-y. As in, it very clearly refers to periods well in advance of when it was posted. I guess that's what Kieryn gets for using a program with "blitz" in its name :D (Unrelatedly: why the ch*rp do I seem to think that "Kieryn" sounds a lot like someone who draws sex-related pictures?)

I thought the bumping list went out of fashion well before NP222... I mean, it got replaced by the wiki long before that, no? :? (Okay, the NP222 version includes the wiki, but that only makes it more weirder.)

ChronosDragon predicted, surprisingly correctly, that the bump in the center is supposed to be a fractal copy of the original castle. He also predicted, surprisingly incorrectly, that such a structure would take a very long time to create. In balance, a prediction far better than most of the others I've seen so far on the OTT.

And what better to end this blitz report update with but...
BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

(I wonder whether my blitz ever get far enough that I actually encounter my own signposts...)

2 you know, the one that was small
1 which was, and still is, big
10 slightly smaller than the Tiny River
geo I think it's just a little bit too far east to be Balearic Sea
ping pong ball, and a type of molpy-eating molpy that probably doesn't exist
sp from the context of the following NP215 discussion, looks like the OTTers seem to perceive this section as standing for "it has", as opposed to "it is"; IMHO, in this case, it would've been "it had", so that doesn't make sense either
hot we should rename it, really, because DONGONG looks like it stands for Monty Haul Hotdog
ONG And on that thought, my now-really-traditional blitz-report-ONG:
DOWNTHEHILLONG...
(I doubt the hill they're currently going down on is actually any kind of a major mountain - if it was, they would've probably fainted from lack of air already)
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

The Outside completely ch*rped up my OTTIng this wipend. At least I'm done laboring in the pit for a while. And I went along merrily quoting things and saving them, but somehow they got lost when I hit "Post a reply." So, there are probably some treeish things I meant to comment on but didn't. I read and loved it all. I went back and caught a few things:

I did want to say thanks for all the good wishes. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm sorry to hear what Neil has to deal with. Neil, I'm sending you hugs and lots of molpish thoughts. And yes, MRIs are very musical. This is what I posted in my blog about how my MRI sounded: bud bud bud bud bud bun bun bun bun SKREEEEkachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk

Anyway, I see you're out for two wips. We'll be thinking of you!

I loved all the band/songs names, and the album cover.

HES wrote:I finally defeated that telephone interview mustard todip, even though they told me it would be tomorrow. Thankfully, the interviewer didn't seem to notice my attire...
lmjb, I hope you have a similarly mustard-free experience.

I momentarily saw this
BuffyGirl wrote:Howdy! Image
Until the disappation* that it was BlitzGirl instead.

*disappointment, becoming elation.

Congrats on defeating the phone interview. Sounds like a good thing you weren't on Skype. :) And disappation is a fabulous word.

freezeblade wrote:time Time Time Time Time!

Don't you understand, the horror?!

No...

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Aaaannnd...all clear! Woo-hoo!

Congratulations.
For some reason that reminded me to enroll in next (this) semester's Uni classes

Glad I could help!

AluisioASG wrote:Q: (especially @lmjb1964) From these, which ones seem to convey a meaning of “online”, “offline” and “who the chirp is this guy?”? (The last two may be the same. And no, marker-otter-shadow isn't supposed to be an island.)

Sorry that I couldn't answer this sooner. I see that the map is down, so maybe you've already made a decision and are working on the map. But just in case, I quite like some of the colors, but of course the black-white theme is RELATED. I tend to use the watercolor tile, so I vote for black for online and maybe grey for offline (I like 00 or 0-2X). The shadow one could be used for "Who the ch*rp is this guy?"

I think it's really cool that you're doing this! :D

Oh, your sig is really treeish, and I can('t) wait to see what you're working on story-wise!

That is a very mopey molpy! :(

Still have some ketchup to do. I'm only on page 1709. I'm looking forward to many molpish things in the pages ahead.

Edit to say Happy 1400, Lu; 900, Neil, and I think HES maybe?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

Recently I've caught myself referring to this thread on other forums... which is awesomeful.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

january1may wrote:JFOM Blitz Report 28

Seaish!

though that’s quite an overabundance of hats

Heresy!

I also suppose Megan's action on NP211 (um, np310) definitely puts the giant boob theory to rest. I was surprised how long it lasted, actually (I didn't recall Megan taking so long to work on that mound originally).

Heh, 5318008. Maybe she was, but then saw Cueball coming?

Mashed potatoes don't actually stay up as well as sand does...

Uh oh. You've just put a song in my head:
Spoiler:
To the Tune of "Bodger and Badger". (Badger loves mashed potatoes, hence the mental connection)

Everywhere they go,
Cuegan always know,
Lucky and her Beanie mates are never far away!...
Cueball and Megan! Cueball and Megan!
La la la la la, Lucky's never far away..!

Everybody knows,
Megan loves, Panther Salve-o!
She put's it on her leg and rubs it everyday…!
La la la la la, la la la la la,

Everywhere they go,
Cuegan always know,
Lucky and her Beanie mates are never far away..!
La la la la la, la la la la la.

Cueball and Megan are never far away!

As far as I can tell, it should really be "it actually retreated", with neithersp the apostrophe nor the S. Uncorrected m*stard? This would be np320

"It actually retreated" or "It has actually retreated" (i.e. the "It's" which GLR used) are both perfectly valid. Different tenses, I think. (ETA: I missed the next line, as EoM pointed out "has" is quite fine)
Last edited by HES on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

january1may wrote:(the typical lifespan of such a "religion" is roughly that of the Snowist heresy)

Hmm, shall I convert to Snowism to make said heresy last longer? To match the snow piling up outside my house right now?

january1may wrote:As far as I can tell, it should really be "it actually retreated", with neithersp the apostrophe nor the S. Uncorrected m*stard? This would be np320 by mscha numbering (which is also mr*bdex numbering, which is the system used by me because it's the easiest way of aligning my NP/np numbers).

sp from the context of the following NP215 discussion, looks like the OTTers seem to perceive this section as standing for "it has", as opposed to "it is"; IMHO, in this case, it would've been "it had", so that doesn't make sense either

It's normal English. "It had" would imply "it had retreated this week, but now it's doing something else".

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:46 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
january1may wrote:(the typical lifespan of such a "religion" is roughly that of the Snowist heresy)

Hmm, shall I convert to Snowism to make said heresy last longer? To match the snow piling up outside my house right now?

january1may wrote:As far as I can tell, it should really be "it actually retreated", with neithersp the apostrophe nor the S. Uncorrected m*stard? This would be np320 by mscha numbering (which is also mr*bdex numbering, which is the system used by me because it's the easiest way of aligning my NP/np numbers).

It's normal English. "It had" would imply "it had retreated this week, but now it's doing something else".

"It has retreated" subtly implies more of a repeating action than "it retreated" does. It's known to advance and retreat, so it isn't completely weird that it did that, though adding "actually" puts a little surprise to it. Presumably surprise that the sea is rising while the river is retreating, not surprise that the river retreated at all.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Recently I've caught myself referring to this thread on other forums... which is awesomeful.

Me too... (see no. 22)

On a side note, it's a tradition on that otherforum to have awards every yip, and I was thinking of running something similar when we reach the Timeiversary/OTTish new yip. What I'd do when the time comes is make a post with all the categories listed, and everymolpy would PM their votes to me (rather than in the thread, since I think anonymous voting would be better and also less clutter) and after the deadline I'd count up the votes and make a results post in the thread. Would people be up for that? Do you think it's a good idea? Any other thoughts?

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

Yappo, elsewhere, wrote:...because otters and my otterified tracklist

Weird seeing "otterfied" used as a word, but a perfectly valid one! And not surprising from our resident otter OTTer...

yappobiscuits wrote:On a side note, it's a tradition on that otherforum to have awards every yip, and I was thinking of running something similar when we reach the Timeiversary/OTTish new yip [...] Do you think it's a good idea?

Yes. Because awards are like presents, and presents are traditional at certain yiply festivals.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

Beacon Foxhound seems to have been moved back 1 NP.

january1may wrote:I've heard that random encoded/cyphered posts, both with and without errors, are much more common in the future;

Wait for it.

january1may wrote:If your uncle Jack has problems getting back to the ground from his horse, he should climb down from it (or, if it's really that much of a problem, ask someone else to help him climb down from it).

I reckon BlitzGirl has something to do with this.

january1may wrote:Please, couldn't you OTTers of NP219 (and NP218 and NP220) make slightly less random sex pun jokes? How unfortunate that they didn't have BlitzGirl and her punsaw yet.

…or maybe not.

january1may wrote:Unrelatedly: why the ch*rp do I seem to think that "Kieryn" sounds a lot like someone who draws penguin-related pictures?

FTFY

january1may wrote:I thought the bumping list went out of fashion well before NP222... I mean, it got replaced by the wiki long before that, no? :? (Okay, the NP222 version includes the wiki, but that only makes it more weirder.)

We should totally bump it again; haven't seen it in a long time.

lmjb1964 wrote:This is what I posted in my blog about how my MRI sounded: bud bud bud bud bud bun bun bun bun SKREEEEkachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molly molly molly molly SNAAAKEgrapevine grapevine grapevine grapevine

OTFY

lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Q: (especially @lmjb1964) From these, which ones seem to convey a meaning of “online”, “offline” and “who the chirp is this guy?”?

Sorry that I couldn't answer this sooner. […] But just in case, I quite like some of the colors, but of course the black-white theme is RELATED. I tend to use the watercolor tile, so I vote for black for online and maybe grey for offline (I like 00 or 0-2X). The shadow one could be used for "Who the ch*rp is this guy?"

Well, to the hills with Toner. But what is 0-2X?
(I also made proper white/grey/black ones after that screenshot.)

lmjb1964 wrote:I see that the map is down

Related: it's kind hard to reply when all the buttons are gone.

lmjb1964 wrote:so maybe you've already made a decision and are working on the map.

It's really easy to change those icons.

lmjb1964 wrote:I think it's really cool that you're doing this! :D

You're welcome.

lmjb1964 wrote:Oh, your sig is really treeish, and I can('t) wait to see what you're working on story-wise!

Thank you. But I'm afraid I'm not going anywhere with my stories. I ain't even able to write a full chapter anymore.

lmjb1964 wrote:Happy 1400, Lu;

Thanks. Just 11 more.

lmjb1964 wrote:and I think HES maybe?

Yes, we hit that RNM almost together (well, almost almost).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 pm UTC

Aha, lmjb's post snuck through when I was previeweditprevieweditpreviewing my reply to JFOM.
lmjb1964 wrote:And yes, MRIs are very musical. This is what I posted in my blog about how my MRI sounded: bud bud bud bud bud bun bun bun bun SKREEEEkachunk kachunk kachunk kachunk

Everything is musical to the musically minded. (You have a blag?) I had fun re-enacting that. Thanks Aluisio for the ottified version, too.

lmjb1964 wrote:Congrats on defeating the phone interview. Sounds like a good thing you weren't on Skype. :) And disappation is a fabulous word.

Yeah, that would have been awkward. Alas, it was all for nothing as I didn't get the job. The search must go on.

lmjb1964 wrote:I think HES maybe?

Probably. HES may be a lot of things, but he isn't usually paying enough attention...
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”