1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:03 am UTC

It's always possible that GLR misinterpreted "hat-wearing culture" when creating Time, too.

(Time 2? Where?!)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0457

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:30 am UTC

ONGULAE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Re: more epilogue musings about deviance

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:53 am UTC

Hehheh. I just took a minute to look at the 2014 sequences while the tub was filling. Funny, I never noticed before that the tub has no overflow hole. I think we'll stay away from the hall until that soaked carpet doesn't look so much like an electrocution risk....

So, contrary to what I expected, it has the same symmetries as 2013, so I guess those half-blocks weren't mustard.

Code: Select all

BAED CBAE CD CBAE DCBA DE CDCB
ABDE BCEA DE BCEA CDAB EA DEBC
EDBA DECB CB AECB DADC DC DBED
DEAB EABC BC EABC ABCD CD BCDE
Sorry I can't do the pretty colours like slinches.

Here it is with what I believe to be sloshers removed for clearer viewing:

BAED CBAE ED CBAE DCBA AE EDCB
ABDE BCEA DE BCEA CDAB EA DEBC
EDBA AECB CB AECB BADC DC CBED
DEAB EABC BC EABC ABCD CD BCDE
Other than a more tidy pattern, I've uncovered nothing. :?

Um, sorry if I seem obsessed.

ETA: Oh, pope. hmm. What's the biggest thing you've flooded? Did you need a raftcastle?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Hopefully the OTT's basement is dry...

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 am UTC

This is the OTT - obsession is molpish! :wink:

Spoiler:
Beanie 1: "Castle?"
Beanie 2: "Castle."

-

For decree: I once accidentally flooded the basement of the home I grew up in. About 15 yips ago, the basement flooded all by itself, so my parents installed a sump pump under the foundation that would automatically remove any water that pooled there, piping it out of the house using plastic PVC pipe. After a couple rainymips, the pump stopped having to activate and just sat there. For several yips it didn't click on at all.

Some Time in those dry yips, I was clambering around the basement (as young molpies are wont to do) and I snapped a piece of the PVC piping when I climbed on top of it. I didn't even think about it at the Time, because I didn't really associate the sump pipes with water. But a couple of yips later, the heavy rains came again, and the sump pump clicked on. It worked like a charm, pumping all the water out from under the house's foundation - straight into the basement via the broken pipe.

Oops.

We got a few centicues' worth of flood: not enough for a raftcastle, but enough to thoroughly drench anything that was stored on the basement floor or next to the broken pipe.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 am UTC

I've never flooded anything personally... but my county had a very seaish flood in November 2009. My nearest town with its funny name got hit the worst - the main street turned into a not-so-riverish river, 8 feet deep at the worst of it. Lots of raftcastles were required.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:59 am UTC

The wipend is nigh!

Hmm, I should go do that jigsaw...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0458

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 am UTC

LONGJUMPS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 am UTC

A horsemolpy!
… but why is newpixbot asking us to call longjmp? Is it attempting to time travel?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 am UTC

Horsemolpy! Or molpony!

I wonder if it's wild or tame...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Horsemolpy! Or molpony!

And if it's tame, will Cuegan be familiar with riding?

What do you think those plants are? They're mighty tall... something similar to agave maybe?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:04 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Horsemolpy! Or molpony!

And if it's tame, will Cuegan be familiar with riding?

My gut feeling is "no," simply because there was no evidence of domestic molpies at the Cueganite's tents.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0459

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

MASKINONGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

I'd hate to buck the trend, but the scale seems all wrong for any sort of equimolp. It looks more like a doepy to me.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:31 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Um, sorry if I seem obsessed.

ETA: Oh, pope. hmm. What's the biggest thing you've flooded? Did you need a raftcastle?

I like your obsession. I wish I could help, but I'll have to be content with the knowledge that great minds are working it.

Just yesterday I overflowed a sink in the basement here. (Ironically, somewhat caused by another flood event... Littlest wolpy has hot spots/itchiness, so is in the cone of shame. While she can drink with the cone on, she often flips the water dish over. I've been accumulating soaked towels in the basement sink. When I decided to do laundry, I started with other clothes, leaving the towels in the sink, forgetting that the washer drains into the sink, and that the towels might be a problem. Fortunately there is a floor drain, so most of the water left harmlessly on its own.

Not a flood, exactly, but we once had an adventure when the wrong soap was used in the dishwasher. And another one the next day when he insisted that the soap wasn't wrong, he just had to use less of it.

The recent cold here has created frozen floods. Water mains have broken, but then the water froze, in some places freezing cars to the road, or making it impossible to get doors open.

slinches wrote:I'd hate to buck the trend, but the scale seems all wrong for any sort of equimolp. It looks more like a doepy to me.

I was thinking llampy.

In other news, we saw a doepy last night while walking around the block. I would have thought this place was too cityish for them.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

slinches wrote:I'd hate to buck the trend, but the scale seems all wrong for any sort of equimolp. It looks more like a doepy to me.

Not a doepy - it has a long tail in the first newpix it appears. That's why I was thinking possibly a molpony. It does have longish ears, could be a donkpy as well.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

I've had some Outside stuff lately that made me almost unable to do any blitzing. Hopefully, I could continue later todip, but until that happens, my blitz would be stuck somewhere (somewhen?) in the NP220s (which is honestly pretty ch*rpingd early - I hope I could hit the Journey Eon before the next Madness).

And while I'm not yet blitzing, I decided to make something not seen on the OTT for a while... a (relatively) original OTT-If!

Slow Blitz
(inspired by this, this, and my blitz "progress")

If you wanted to blitz the entire OTT, how slowly could you do it to still be able to finish your blitz eventually?

It depends on the definition, but not particularly fast. Not that you'd know it if you started early.

Also, for those planning on blitzing - there are approximately 10 NewPages added per dip (109 dips/1079 NewPages) so you need to read at least 11 NewPages a dip to catch up eventually. To catch up in a reasonable period of Time (at that rate, you get one NewPage or so closer per dip, taking 1079 dips) you need to read much faster.
- slightly OTTified Dracomax, NP1079

There are several ways to consider the phrase "finish your blitz eventually". The obvious way is the one in the quote above - that you just need to blitz faster than the OTT updates. But first, there are several possible meanings of the speed at which "the OTT updates"; and second, there is no stable "OTT update speed" anyway (whatever meaning you use, it is much less at NP1730 than it was at NP1079). Not that similar problems stopped any of the other WI scenarios; so we go on.

The, again, most obvious way is to count NewPages (which, by definition, subdivide to 40 posts). Using the very same method used by Dracomax, we have to divide 1731 NewPages by 314 dips, which gives us slightly over 5.5 NewPages/dip (also known as slightly over 220 posts/dip). That seems a bit too high; and it is - it's not the speed at which a recent blitzer would be able to catch up.

It is the speed at which an early-starting1.1 blitzer (mental image: Vytron) would be finishing xer blitz in the Present.

(image shamelessly stolen from mrob27, and slightly edited for more plausibility1.15)

Sure, this is still useful. This, or similar methods, can give us a rough estimate of when some blitzers would've caught up if they1.2 haven't stopped their blitz early (for the record, RobIrr, if xe hadn't stopped in the NP690s, would've finished xer blitz around the NP1370s). But we're not asking about this todip.

The figure we need is, of course, the actual speed (also known as "rate") of the OTT - that is, speaking mathematically, the first derivative of the amount of OTT posts with respect to Time1.3.

How much is that? Well, the amount of new OTT posts varies considerably over small Time periods, so a literal first derivative doesn't really exist. But we can approximate it by starting with two posts, say, several mips apart, and taking an average "speed" of the posts between them. Specifically, let's use mrob's blitzpost at 1715:12 and the post at 1457:38 to which it links; there are almost exactly 133 dips between them (133 dips and 0.1 nopix, to be precise), and 10294 posts, which means a speed of 77.4 posts/dip (slightly under 2 NP/dip).

Wait... does that mean a blitzer who only reads two NewPages per dip would actually finish xer blitz? Well... eventually, maybe, theoretically. The OTT is seaish2; such a theoretical blitzer would only get 8.65 NP closer to xer goal over the 133 dips between these two posts, and assuming that xe started on NP1457 and the speed of the OTT stays the same, xe would finally catch up in 61.3 yips (i.e. in 2075). That's a lot of assuming, though :D

(image shamelessly stolen from Whizbang, and again slightly edited for plausibility)

Then there's another problem. Sure, we have a speed in posts/dip - but posts vary wildly in length! We need something more specific - say, a word or character count. Fortunately, this is exactly why I chose these particular two posts as the benchmarks!

According to them2.1, over these same 133 dips, there had been2.2 431387 words posted, for an average of 3243.5 words/dip. That's not a lot; if the prospective blitzer reads at a speed of 200 words per minip (a very low reading speed), xe would only need to read the OTT for less than 0.3 of a nopix per dip (on average). It's definitely not very much, though; even if that same prospective blitzer doubles xer speed to catch up at 3200 words/dip, xe would take about 6 yips to complete the blitz (that is significantly more than the corresponding figure2.3 based on posts, which would've been almost exactly 2 yips; this might or might not be because of screwy statistics - and/or hotdog-related stuff confusing the stat counter - than any actual slowing).

For characters, we have 2630222 over 133 dips, for an average of 19776/dip; figures for catch-up time at double speed are then close to 4.2 yips (so don't go well with either of the other two numbers).

...There's another entirely different way to think of the original question, however. Suppose that (Randall forbid), at some point in the near future, the One True Forum2.4 gets some problems (say, a particularly large forum m*stard), and the OTT ends up unable to update further. But someone happens to save a copy, Sciscitor-style, and from that point on xe and xer descendants look over it for the purpose of translating to Beanish.

Then, if they only manage to translate, on average, eight characters per dip (say, one character per shortpix, seven longpix per dip, at four dips per wip, or any of lots of other possible combinations)...

(image shamelessly stolen from GLR, and not actually edited because it's plausible enough)

...they would've just about finished by 13291.

Footnotes (WI):

1.1 technically, xe'd need to start at the Beginning of Time, but blitzing was invented so early that it doesn't change the figures much if we consider a particularly early BlitzGirl follower - xe would need to read maybe 235 posts/dip instead of 220
1.15 after some careful calculations, blitzing did exist back then, but only as a vague concept, and didn't have a name yet; on second thought, this only makes the joke even better
1.2 that's a plural "they" - within this WI at least, I've tried to use "xe" in the singular
1.3 and Time definitely needs some respect
2 proof: just look at the OTT - it's seaish
2.1 there are reasons to suspect that there's something wrong with these statistics - or at least that they are inconsistent - but I'll consider them as correct for the sake of this WI because there's no better possibility I could find
2.2 with full quote counting; the other possibilities resulted in impossibly small figures - in one case, below zero - so I had to discard them
2.3 the mathematical sense of this figure is "how old the OTT would've had to be as of NP1457 if its speed had always been the same as over these 133 dips"; thus, this disprepancy means, if taken at face value, that OTT posts over these 133 dips, on average, have roughly one-third as many words than OTT posts before that period - which doesn't seem particularly likely
2.4 or however you call the forum with the OTT

Footnotes (non-WI):

d anyone knows what's OTTish for "darn"? "pretty m*stard early" doesn't work

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ott-if-mrob27-jfom.png
What do you mean, "haven't heard of blitzing"? Don't you read sigs?
ott-if-mrob27-jfom.png (16.84 KiB) Viewed 16193 times

ott-if-whizbang-jfom.png
It did slow down from what it used to be, but over a post per nopix isn't really all that "slow".
I don't know how all these words got on my screen.

At least I'm redundant either way.
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
In other news, we saw a doepy last night while walking around the block. I would have thought this place was too cityish for them.

I saw a doepy, too.
They are very cute in the city.

Gardeners have a strange relationship to the doepy.
One part of the gardener sees a beautiful creature.
A different part of the gardener sees a Rose Eating Bastard.

Flooding?
The 1964-65 flooding is the worst flooding I have ever seen.
When the word flood is used, it gets my attention.

An atypical cold spell began in Oregon on December 13, 1964, froze the soil, and was followed by unusually heavy snow.[3][8] Subsequently, a Pineapple Express storm brought persistent heavy warm rain.[3][8] The temperature increased by 30 to 40 °F (17 to 22 °C). This melted the snow, but left the soil frozen and impermeable.[8] Some places received the equivalent of a year's rain in just a few days. Albany received 13 inches (330 mm) of rain in December, almost double its average rainfall of 7 inches (200 mm).[3] Detroit recorded an extra 18 inches (460 mm) of rain, and at Crater Lake, where the average normal December rainfall is 12 inches (300 mm), there was over 38 inches (970 mm) of rain.[3] As rivers and streams overflowed and the soil became saturated, reports of mudslides, closed roads and reservoirs filled over-capacity came from throughout the state.[3] Many towns were isolated.[3] By the end of the flood, every river in Oregon was above flood stage and more than thirty major bridges were impassable.[3]

The river beds in the SouthWest of the US and NorthWest of Mexico flood.
They flood in predictable ways. For Locals!

Outsiders and Newcomers can be taken by surprise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_flood#Hazards

The US must have been such a Surreal Experience for Europeans.
The US is a Surreal Experience for Americans that go outside.

No. I did not flood anything that I can remember off the top of my head.
I must have. Everyone floods something at some time.

My floods are dull and of little consequence.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0460

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

STABBONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

waveney

Postby waveney » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

january1may wrote:Image

Newpage 44! - that is Newpage 2658271574788448768043625811014615890319638528000000000.

BlitzGirl will have been busy!

january1may

Postby january1may » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

waveney wrote:

Newpage 44! - that is Newpage 2658271574788448768043625811014615890319638528000000000.

This is why I try to avoid exclamatory sentences that end with numbers :D
That said, I didn't edit this part (look at the linked original). And I'd expect mr0b to be very careful with xer numbers (or at least more so than I am).
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

Awesomeful OTT-If, january1may! :)

waveney wrote:
Spoiler:

That's a ch*rp of a lot of blitzing and/or posting I will have needed to do eventually in the pre-future!

addams wrote:My floods are dull and of little consequence.

To you, perhaps.
To antmolpies, they are tsunamis.
To latent seeds slumbering in the earth, they are the elixir of life.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

I missed the postman when I was a-coma, so my timeaccessor won't be fixed until mondip.

Our yard flooded when our incompetent maintenance guy filled the drains with wet concrete.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0461

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

JONGAL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

Ah, a firstpost!

And oh baobabs, it's...

SilentTimer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Just in case there are any more lurkers around here Waiting to reveal themselves:

LURKUS SUMMONUS

*flashes, bubbles, smoke*

… aaand – boom de yada! Megan fits the scene.
Now I need a Cueball with a matching face expression.

Hey – where's my graphics tablet?
And where's this surprising amount of blood coming from?
Ah – thanks GLR, it's I Can't Believe It's Not Goat's Blood.
But who are all those staring … OTTers … ?

Baobabs! :shock: I'm in the OTT!

Er… hi everymolpy. How are you?
(Ch*rp – where's my hat? I am feeling so m2928 without it …)

Nice to see y'all. Want some 74'WS°

I suppose I will be the one to say something.

… harrumph …

Hello, everymolpy. And non-molpies, too.

I am a lurking OTTer. I have read it all and opened every spoiler. I have been in the OTT when we encountered the baobabs, the snake, the wowterfall, Prickly, and Lucky. We have been puzzling together about the rising sea, La Petite, the stars, and Beanish. We went through T** **d together, and now we are experiencing Time After Time together.

I am the author of the MysteryONGs. I hope you are enjoying my Present Present.

(Has anyone seen my hat? Its MD5 is c678886e5f6f5fcdd1beff5114fa7865. Hopefully I haven't lost it on my last secret meeting with newpixbot. If you find it, can you please deliver it back in Time so I can put it on before being summoned? Thanks in advance!)

So much for this Time. Sorry … must draw … the ONG is approaching …

*fading to white, faint noises of a leopard*

*silence*

Welcome, SilentTimer! (Er, what is that timer counting down to?)

...And look at this, ANOTHER firstpost!
TieSoul wrote:Hello everyone! I am new to Time, and am currently Blitzing the OTT, I'm on page 60 right now, or about newpix 140, so I still have a long way to go :D
Just wanted to notify all of you that I'm here, and I'm Blitzing. Also playing the Hotdog, and so far it's really fun :D

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Hello everyone! I am new to Time, and am currently Blitzing the OTT, I'm on page 60 right now, or about newpix 140, so I still have a long way to go :D
Just wanted to notify all of you that I'm here, and I'm Blitzing. Also playing the Hotdog, and so far it's really fun :D

Welcome, TieSoul, have fun on your blitz, and redundancy is always good.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:

Steakish as always.

rvloon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip> I might skip to the present. <snip snip>

Don't skip forward! You'll miss three of my OTTifications! Some of them were even liked by... ehrm... well, people!

Ronald

Were two of them the Memory OTTifications? I think I tried to respond to them, but lost the response. Those were awesomeful. I couldn't find the recording of Cantabile's version, tho. :(

Yes, and the third one was Stairway to Heaven / Punsaw Vittsagen. Glad you liked them.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:Hello, everymolpy. And non-molpies, too.

I am a lurking OTTer. I have read it all and opened every spoiler. I have been in the OTT when we encountered the baobabs, the snake, the wowterfall, Prickly, and Lucky. We have been puzzling together about the rising sea, La Petite, the stars, and Beanish. We went through T** **d together, and now we are experiencing Time After Time together.

*silence*

I have no flood stories, so I'll ask a flood question.

Where is the flood of replies to SilentTimer?

Thank you, SilentTimer. Please, be no longer silent.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Just in case there are any more lurkers around here Waiting to reveal themselves:

LURKUS SUMMONUS

*flashes, bubbles, smoke*

… aaand – boom de yada! Megan fits the scene.
Now I need a Cueball with a matching face expression.

Hey – where's my graphics tablet?
And where's this surprising amount of blood coming from?
Ah – thanks GLR, it's I Can't Believe It's Not Goat's Blood.
But who are all those staring … OTTers … ?

Baobabs! :shock: I'm in the OTT!

Er… hi everymolpy. How are you?
(Ch*rp – where's my hat? I am feeling so m2928 without it …)

Nice to see y'all. Want some 74'WS°

I suppose I will be the one to say something.

… harrumph …

Hello, everymolpy. And non-molpies, too.

(Has anyone seen my hat? Its MD5 is c678886e5f6f5fcdd1beff5114fa7865. Hopefully I haven't lost it on my last secret meeting with newpixbot. If you find it, can you please deliver it back in Time so I can put it on before being summoned? Thanks in advance!)

So much for this Time. Sorry … must draw … the ONG is approaching …

*fading to white, faint noises of a leopard*

*silence*

Holy Chirp!
That, my friends, is an entrance!
Last edited by ggh on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:40 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

So I finally went and quit drawception. The atmosphere there was so dense, and it's very ironic how it's all caused by well intentioned people...

It feels also really odd that my quitting won't be complete until about one week from now or something, since I still have 28 games that are going to finish...

Anyway, in other news, we may not have had the chance to see them, but those squirpies of the OTC were probably doing evil things off-camera...
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:01 am UTC

EBWOP (haven't double posted in a while) - Oh My Deity!

*Worships SilentTimer*

Oh My SilentTimer!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:09 am UTC

BOEONG
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:57 am UTC

SilentTimer wrote:[...]

Best. Delurk. Ever.

Can we still call them mysterONGs when there is no longer a mystery? Yes. Because there is always the mystery of what will happen next. The answer, of course, is to wait for it.

Welcome, SilentTimer. I daren't imagine what would have happened to this place without you.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:00 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:I have no flood stories, so I'll ask a flood question.

Where is the flood of replies to SilentTimer?

Thank you, SilentTimer. Please, be no longer silent.

It is the weepend. And I was migrating south. Welcome, SilentTimer, Revealer the Recent.
Welcome also to TieSoul, Revealer the Recent.

SilentTimer, nice to have you with us, and thank you for the Mystery ONGs.
TieSoul, Randalspeed on your blitz!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 am UTC

Holy baobobs, the things that happen while I'm away!

Welcome and superfluous gratuities to you, SilentTimer! I am in awe of your dedication to drawing and, heretofore, anonymity! I am so glad you have been here with us, and please to stick around (in non-lurking mode, preferably)!

Also welcome to TieSoul, happy blitzing!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:30 am UTC

Awesomeful and highly steakish OTT-if, january1may! I don't know why anyone would want to blitz so slowly though, but it's molpish to know!

And baobabs, some newmolpies! Welcome, TieSoul! I wish you a molpish blitz!

And welcome, SilentTimer! Or not so silent now, huh ;) …so you're our mystery author! Baobabs, your Time After TIme series has been amazingwowterful and highly steakish! You definitely deserve a hat. SOMEONE GET THIS OTTER A HAT.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mrob27

Chronogram from mrob27, NP1135 ⟶ NP1731

Postby mrob27 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:56 am UTC

Chronogram from mrob27
Origin: NP1135; Destination: NP1731

As Cuegan are conversing with Rosetta, and working out how to communicate the number forty, the TARDIS console lit up with a new nopixbot report. Timborme brought it to me (without looking, as is our agreement; nopixbot himself lurks near the secondary TARDIS entrance which is a very long walk from where most of us spend our time.)

january1may wrote:
Slow Blitz

If you wanted to blitz the entire OTT, how slowly could you do it to still be able to finish your blitz eventually?
<snip> let's use mrob's blitzpost at 1715:12 and the post at 1457:38 to which it links; there are almost exactly 133 dips between them (133 dips and 0.1 nopix, to be precise), and 10294 posts, which means a speed of 77.4 posts/dip (slightly under 2 NP/dip).
Fortunately, this is exactly why I chose these particular two posts as the benchmarks! According to them2.1, over these same 133 dips, there had been2.2 431387 words posted, for an average of 3243.5 words/dip.
2.1 there are reasons to suspect that there's something wrong with these statistics - or at least that they are inconsistent - but I'll consider them as correct for the sake of this WI because there's no better possibility I could find
2.2 with full quote counting; the other possibilities resulted in impossibly small figures - in one case, below zero - so I had to discard them

Hello @january1may! I'm glad to see someone else has been analyzing Blitz rate vs. ETAitP.
    But I must apologize (at least a little :oops: ), because indeed, as you suspected, there's something mustardy Image in my numbers. My NP1457 post counted more words than my later NP1715 post. In particular, I stopped counting the words "Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30:08 am UTC" at the top of each post, and I think I also stopped counting the "Last edited by mrob27 on ..." bits at the bottom of edited posts.

OTT Word-count Stats

I meant to publish this long ago. In fact, nopixbot has been generating this file since even before I began Blitzing... so here it is (I guess you all had to Wait For It :) ) :

mrob27's OTT word stats
(automatically updated by nopixbit whenever he is running)

Here's an excerpt:

Cumulative word and character-counts for the OTT
Newpage    no-adjustment    2^-QuoteLvl       4^-QuoteLvl       8^-QuoteLvl
          words    chars    words    chars    words    chars    words    chars
  1        2008     8552     1731     7382     1639     6991     1601     6831
  2        3793    16626     3314    14501     3127    13670     3044    13299
  3        6540    28120     5878    25176     5600    23936     5471    23361
  1713  7448487 32862393  4554745 19964822  3688505 16097159  3343764 14556041
  1714  7452400 32879983  4557159 19975754  3690430 16105928  3345496 14563957
  1715  7458851 32908500  4562629 19999901  3695482 16128211  3350357 14585385

In this file, the line starting "1714" says how many words are in Newpages 1 through 1714 inclusive, so the "7452400" on line 1714 corresponds most closely to my stated count of "7,452,748" (which also includes the first 9 posts of NP1715). So far so good. Going back to the line for NP1456, it says "6432681" which is way lower than the "7,021,361" I stated in that post. The discrepancy is because I stopped counting the date-stamps.

So, to repeat your calculation using consistent figures, we'd have to use 6432681 for NP1456, measuring that at the time the last post on NP1456 was posted, which was newpix 4174.86. For the NP1714 figure, that's 7452400 words up to and including the last post on NP1714 which was posted at newpix 7370.59. This gives

(7452400-6432681) words / (7370.59-4174.86) newpix
× (24 newpix / 1 dip) ≈ 7658.111 words/dip

If we count quotes less, which I think is appropriate, then the answer is closer to your estimate. Now that we have consistent figures to compare NP1456 to NP1714, my "quotes count less" figures actually become useful. Using the 4-N metric (which matches how I read when I'm Blitzing) the calculation becomes:

(3690430-3089457) words / (7370.59-4174.86) newpix
× (24 newpix / 1 dip) ≈ 4513.320 words/dip

... which is a lot closer to the 3243.5 words/dip result that you ended up using.

Of course, with this data file you can select any two Newpages for your calculation. By lucky chance (or more likely, because of my lifestyle and when I find Time to do OTT) the interval you chose is an exact multiple of the Outsider 7-dixly cycle (which is important, the OTT being slower on wipends).

Hope that makes sense... use the Chronotransponder if you have any questions or comments...

-- mrob27 Image

P.S.: ETA: I will add a "Time (nopix)" column to the word stats output, so you can get all your numbers in one place. :)

ETAitP : Expected Time of Arrival in the Present.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:13 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Awesomeful and highly steakish OTT-if, january1may! I don't know why anyone would want to blitz so slowly though, but it's molpish to know!

And baobabs, some newmolpies! Welcome, TieSoul! I wish you a molpish blitz!

And welcome, SilentTimer! Or not so silent now, huh ;) …so you're our mystery author! Baobabs, your Time After TIme series has been amazingwowterful and highly steakish! You definitely deserve a hat. SOMEONE GET THIS OTTER A HAT.

I'd be happy to oblige. SilentTimer, if you're still around, would you like a hat? I'm thinking something a bit... finitely continuous

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 am UTC

Welcome to the OTT, SilentTimer!

SilentTimer wrote:(Has anyone seen my hat? Its MD5 is c678886e5f6f5fcdd1beff5114fa7865. Hopefully I haven't lost it on my last secret meeting with newpixbot. If you find it, can you please deliver it back in Time so I can put it on before being summoned? Thanks in advance!)

I think I found it.
Hold on <insert Tardis sound here> ... <insert Tardis sound here>
Have a look here.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:13 am UTC

Welcome TieSoul! Enjoy your Blitz - we await your Glorious Return to the Future Present!

And SilentTimer - those MysteryOngs are so steakish they deserve an entirely new adjective! Something so well done as this is burnt into a crisp! crispish, perhaps (or potatochippy, for non-Brits)? Perhaps simply "Like unto SilentTimer", a minor deity. I am in awe!

Jose
(Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0463

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 am UTC

ASTRONGENT...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 am UTC

mscha wrote:Welcome to the OTT, SilentTimer!

Thanks, mscha and everyone, for your warmest X, A'Lb, :)!
And thanks, BlitzGirl, for not harming any goatpys for your summoning circle!

mscha wrote:
SilentTimer wrote:(Has anyone seen my hat? Its MD5 is c678886e5f6f5fcdd1beff5114fa7865. Hopefully I haven't lost it on my last secret meeting with newpixbot. If you find it, can you please deliver it back in Time so I can put it on before being summoned? Thanks in advance!)

I think I found it.
Hold on <insert Tardis sound here> ... <insert Tardis sound here>
Have a look here (np1729).

*travelling back in time*
*picking up hat*
*putting it on*
*feeling much more OTTer-like immediately*
*travelling back, i.e. forward in time*

:D Special thanks to mscha for finding my hat and for hosting my little drawings on his cosyz server.
And special thanks to newpixbot for ONGing them so reliably.

ETA: Hey, I have a sibling in the summoning circle! :) GLRspeed on your Blitz, TieSoul!
Thanks to Earthling on Mars for pushing us forward!

ETA2:
ChronosDragon wrote:I'd be happy to oblige. SilentTimer, if you're still around, would you like a hat? I'm thinking something a bit... finitely continuous
A Klein bottle! :shock: I like Klein bottles! :D
Hmm… maybe my beanie is a Klein bottle? Maybe all Time-RELATED beanies are Klein bottles, who knows? (No URL, sorry, but a search for “Klein bottle beanie” will reveal what I am referring to.)

Cheers, SilentTimer

z: It's located closer to UTC than to RST.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”