1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:16 am UTC

Been doing some work on the map. Some thoughts:
  • Replace Stamen.Toner (and possibly OpenStreetMap.DE) with Acetate.all or Stamen.TonerLite.
  • Add some overlays from OpenWeatherMap
All those are previewable from the leaflet-providers demo.

Things on my TODO list:
  • About box/config box/control panel
  • Marker style templates

TOTD:

Code: Select all

@keyframes blink {
    0% { opacity: 1; }
    50% { opacity: 0; }
    100% { opacity: 1; }
}

.marker-online {
    fill: #89fe05;
    animation: blink 6.28s ease 1.57s infinite;
}
/* If you think there's nothing new in the new map you're obviously wrong. */
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0464

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 am UTC

CONTRADISTONGUISHES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

haircut74

Postby haircut74 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:55 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
HES wrote:Haircut, you probably missed this ottifact by CD a while back. Still entirely true, especially with recent TaT happenings.

Or this one.

Hot mustard, I like this.

HES

Re: 1190: "It"

Postby HES » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 am UTC

haircut74 wrote:Hot mustard

Like a non heretical "hot-damn"? I approve.

Glad you found your hat, silenttimer. An otter without a hat is like a wait for without
He/Him/His Image

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Been doing some work on the map. Some thoughts:
  • Replace Stamen.Toner (and possibly OpenStreetMap.DE) with Acetate.all or Stamen.TonerLite.
  • Add some overlays from OpenWeatherMap
All those are previewable from the leaflet-providers demo.
... 8<

Aluisio,
I'm fairly content with removing OpenStreetMap.DE, it seems to be either ignorant or explicitly revanchist to use German city names for cities that have been liberated from the Nazi regime by the Red Army 68 years ago .

However I think that a certain geographical accuracy should be available, and therefore the OpenStreetMap.Mapnik layer should be included. Otherwise no OTTer would be able to locate me at the east end of the main runway of the former airport Tempelhof (THF), where I actually sometimes could be met.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0465

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

SPENDONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:43 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:ETA2:
ChronosDragon wrote:I'd be happy to oblige. SilentTimer, if you're still around, would you like a hat? I'm thinking something a bit... finitely continuous
A Klein bottle! :shock: I like Klein bottles! :D
Hmm… maybe my beanie is a Klein bottle? Maybe all Time-RELATED beanies are Klein bottles, who knows? (No URL, sorry, but a search for “Klein bottle beanie” will reveal what I am referring to.).

Here's a link. (There may be better ones) http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTkleinbottle.html
ucim wrote:And SilentTimer - those MysteryOngs are so steakish they deserve an entirely new adjective! Something so well done as this is burnt into a crisp! crispish, perhaps (or potatochippy, for non-Brits)? Perhaps simply "Like unto SilentTimer", a minor deity. I am in awe!

Jose
(Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction)

I think our Time After Time artists should have a title, but all my brain is providing at the moment is "ONGer the Outstanding" and I don't feel that's sufficient.
But yes, I echo your awe.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0466

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

CONCERTGOONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm UTC

Still no TimeAccessor, but we just freecycle'd a TV. It's amazing how a room changes around one of those time sinks.

Like a lot of old CRT's though it's got a mustardy tint, which serves as a reminder that I should really be here instead.

Wait on.

ETA: I know it's the weepend, but is the overrated crockery still going?
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm UTC

HES wrote:Still no TimeAccessor, but we just freecycle'd a TV. It's amazing how a room changes around one of those time sinks.

Like a lot of old CRT's though it's got a mustardy tint, which serves as a reminder that I should really be here instead.

Wait on.

ETA: I know it's the weepend, but is the overrated crockery still going?

You mean the outstanding nocturnal raptor? Yes, though I'm actively avoiding any discussion/viewership of it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

I'm rather enjoying the Excellent Owlraptor myself...
Spoiler:

It's delicious.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0467

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

MARKONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

Wowzers! Welcome, all y'all revelears of recent. So what was up with molpeony in the not-quite-as-mysterious-ongs?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

Ketchuped.

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

TieSoul wrote:Hello everyone! I am new to Time, and am currently Blitzing the OTT, I'm on page 60 right now, or about newpix 140, so I still have a long way to go :D
Just wanted to notify all of you that I'm here, and I'm Blitzing. Also playing the Hotdog, and so far it's really fun :D

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Hello everyone! I am new to Time, and am currently Blitzing the OTT, I'm on page 60 right now, or about newpix 140, so I still have a long way to go :D
Just wanted to notify all of you that I'm here, and I'm Blitzing. Also playing the Hotdog, and so far it's really fun :D

Treeish! Welcome, Revealer the Recent!
Spoiler:
Treeish! Welcome, Revealer the Recent!

And Seaish Boababs, SilentTimer!!!

january1may wrote: anyone knows what's OTTish for "darn"? "pretty m*stard early" doesn't work

It's pretty needlepulling early!

Related Drawception:
Spoiler:

Also the other half of the leopard/keyboard flip went sideways fast: http://drawception.com/viewgame/Y9HxH76 ... -keyboard/

Also in a book I'm reading a character thought "Redundancy was a beautiful thing, after all."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:16 pm UTC

bothasar_s wrote:balthasar_s was very busy recently, building and programming new bots bothasar_t and _u who will do some redundant things. He doesn't want to tell anything more. Most of the time hes spends behind closed doors and when he goes out he speaks something about redundand redunancy, incoming waves of mustard and some other things. I don't really understand it. I also hear some ch*rpwords about why the new bots don't work correctly. What he didn't notice is that:
Spoiler:
Anyway, he has a question:
balthasar_s wrote:If i want to know if a link leads to a newpage or a post in the OTT or not, I should check if the path is /viewtopic.php and in the arguments there is f=7 and t=101043 and/or p=xxxxxxx where p is a number of a post in the OTT. But are there any other ways of linking to the OTT I'm not aware of?
Also, tomorrow he has the most important exam ever(so far).
Redundant
Spoiler:
fail2.PNG
fail2.PNG (6.95 KiB) Viewed 13935 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:If i want to know if a link leads to a newpage or a post in the OTT or not, I should check if the path is /viewtopic.php and in the arguments there is f=7 and t=101043 and/or p=xxxxxxx where p is a number of a post in the OTT. But are there any other ways of linking to the OTT I'm not aware of?
You need to be aware that fora.xkcd.com, forums.xkcd.com, and forums.xkcd.com all point to the same place. Only forums is officially supported; the others are there in case of mustard.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

there goes my Time

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

Oh hai I just found a game which allows for the purchase and breeding of otters http://magicaweb.com/zoo/
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Re: there goes my Time

Postby ucim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh hai I just found a game which allows for the purchase and breeding of otters http://magicaweb.com/zoo/
What's a "game"?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh hai I just found a game which allows for the purchase and breeding of otters http://magicaweb.com/zoo/

Is that our Ximenez?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Just check the path plus t or p. xkcd forums domains include forums xkcd com, fora xkcd com, echochamber me, www forums xkcd com, www echochamber me.
(There seems to be a filter for echochamber.)

In case you're running code on the page itself:

Code: Select all

// The ID of the One True Thread.
const OTT_THREAD_ID = '101043';

// Only run if this page is the One True Thread.
var runOnOTTOnly = function (callback) {
  var threadID = document.querySelector('#topic-search input[name=t]').value;
  if (threadID === OTT_THREAD_ID) {
    callback();
  }
};
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
You need to be aware that fora.xkcd.com, forums.xkcd.com, and forums.xkcd.com all point to the same place. Only forums is officially supported; the others are there in case of mustard.

Jose

And forums3.xkcd.com .
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0468

Postby mscha » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:30 am UTC

GRONGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Is that our Ximenez?

Yes. According to his homepage: Eduardo Abel Gimenez, same as in the "One True Thread" on FB.

¡Protest! Nobody will buy or sell me. How did Ximenez get that idea? Wasn't he in the basement for quite some time?

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:24 am UTC

patzer wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

And forums3.xkcd.com .

is that... our Patzer?

hello! were you summoned by the talk of klein bottle beanies?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 am UTC

A game full of molpies and waiting? <3 I've started breeding snakes, and I'm almost ready to start turtles. In true OTTer fashion, I've been just waiting for my molpies to breed, and haven't borrowed money since the first few meermolpies I bought.

Eternal Density

Is that OUR marchlight????

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:35 am UTC

marchlight wrote:

A game full of molpies and waiting? <3 I've started breeding snakes, and I'm almost ready to start turtles. In true OTTer fashion, I've been just waiting for my molpies to breed, and haven't borrowed money since the first few meermolpies I bought.

I'm gonna start tapirs soon. Yeah I only borrowed minimal money also.

marchlight

Re: Is that OUR marchlight????

Postby marchlight » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:38 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm gonna start tapirs soon. Yeah I only borrowed minimal money also.

Nice! That tapir picture is very angry. Maybe he just found out about T** **d.

ETA: the turtles are turning out to be more challenging than I anticipated. My 11 has dwindled to 5, and I'm desperately selling stuff to try to save them. I should have waited :(
Last edited by marchlight on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 am UTC

ergman wrote:
patzer wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

And forums3.xkcd.com .

is that... our Patzer?

hello! were you summoned by the talk of klein bottle beanies?

Sort of.
I enjoy following the OTT, but rarely have anything to add to the conversation. I'm not a very chatty person (I should post more, there has been some truly wowterful content including the latest mysteryONGs giving us something to Wait For again), though I still update the wiki.

Just changed my avatar to a long-forgotten Klein bottle hat by azule.

also, I've just started breeding otters. that hotdog is cookieish~

~addictive.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 am UTC

marchlight wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm gonna start tapirs soon. Yeah I only borrowed minimal money also.

ETA: the turtles are turning out to be more challenging than I anticipated. My 11 has dwindled to 5, and I'm desperately selling stuff to try to save them. I should have waited :(
I always upgrade the better birth/death rate a bunch before purchasing any creatures.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:49 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I always upgrade the better birth/death rate a bunch before purchasing any creatures.

I didn't even think about that. Brilliant, thanks! For no good reason, I was under the assumption that I had to buy them before I could change their birthrate.

patzer wrote:cookieish~
~addictive.

Change approved!

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:54 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
marchlight wrote:

I always upgrade the better birth/death rate a bunch before purchasing any creatures.

Sigh I played for a while, but I'm doing it wrong. It would need vast expanses of land for graveyards to accommodate the seaish mortality rate of any animal I buy, plus I feel mildly embarrassed at being party to the truly incestuous breeding habits of the farm.

After playing for a while I was expecting at any moment to encounter a spherical chicken.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Eternal Density

Is that OUR MistyCat???????

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:57 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:plus I feel mildly embarrassed at being party to the truly incestuous breeding habits of the farm.
I advise you not to study the animal breeding mechanics of Minecraft...

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0469

Postby mscha » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 am UTC

ONGLEBERRIES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

MistyCat

Re: Is that OUR Eternal Density???????

Postby MistyCat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
MistyCat wrote:plus I feel mildly embarrassed at being party to the truly incestuous breeding habits of the farm.

I believe the spherical chicken I referenced was of "Uniform Density." No relation?
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Eternal Density

Re: Is that OUR Eternal Density???????

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

I believe the spherical chicken I referenced was of "Uniform Density." No relation?

I don't have a uniform...

yappobiscuits

Am I YOUR Yappobiscuits?

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 am UTC

So I hear the team from BlitzGirlVille had an owlraptor that was more outstanding than the others.

ChronosDragon

Re: Am I YOUR Yappobiscuits?

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:So I hear the team from BlitzGirlVille had an owlraptor that was more outstanding than the others.

The local owlraptor fans were quite jovial about this fact...there were flamerocket explosions earlier in celebration. I heard about it secondhand from an online friend in Massachusetts, to give some perspective on exactly how much interest I had :P

Eternal Density

YappoC**kies!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:So I hear the team from BlitzGirlVille had an owlraptor that was more outstanding than the others.

The local owlraptor fans were quite jovial about this fact...there were flamerocket explosions earlier in celebration. I heard about it secondhand from an online friend in Massachusetts, to give some perspective on exactly how much interest I had :P

I heard about it third-hand from a temporal dragmolp.

Eternal Density

There's a new OtherComic.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 am UTC

Spoiler:
already.png
No I was going to say guys who double post, but that works too.
already.png (16.11 KiB) Viewed 13600 times

yappobiscuits

I OTTified it too...

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 am UTC

Redundant redundancy:
Spoiler:
OTTrejection.png
OTTrejection.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 13587 times

redundakitty53.jpg

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”