Tapatalk plugin?

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

caoimhin

Tapatalk plugin?

Postby caoimhin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am UTC

I use tapatalk to keep up with a number of forums - Escapepod, Cyanogenmod and others. It would be nice to add xkcd to that. It's a widely used phpBB plugin and makes the site far more accessible to phone/tablet users.

The previous discussion on this was back in 2011. Since then phone/tablet usage has increased a great deal. The stated concern then was security - but really if you're using php and phpBB that's just kind of silly. There are several thousand forums using this plugin so it's as secure as anything else in the phpBB/php world.

It's free and it makes reading forums on phones a lot less annoying.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Re: Tapatalk plugin?

Postby Red Hal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

As much as I benefit from using tapatalk elsewhere, remember it is a paid app even if it is free for the forum owner. Also, calling it a plugin - while I realise that's what tapatalk themselves call it - is slightly disingenuous. Apart from slight modifications to the header - you know, so you can get those annoying popups and big banners saying "install our app!" this is largely a standalone app that just happens to access the same database as phpBB. In other words, while phpBB is open source, tapatalk is not. While I use it myself, I don't think it fits in with the xkcd "vibe".

In any case that's just, like, my opinion. The ultimate arbiter will be davean.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

This has come up before

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58783&p=2744569#p2744569

and if you read to the end there, you'll notice that its pretty unlikely. But hey, lets leave this open for a week, and if there is huge support, who knows?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

I hate that plugin, and I've never used it. Simply because it pops up on every single forum when all I'm trying to do is get some information quickly because - I'm looking at a forum on my phone or iPad and don't want another app in my way (and more importantly I'm usually looking up some problem and need to know what EazyRider78 did to fix it).

So yeah, unless the notification can be shot in the head, I'll fly to Boston and physically prevent davean installing it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:47 am UTC

I'm bumping this topic up because tapatalk is free now (yay!) and seriously you have no idea how much easier it makes a forum to interact with from your phone! Xkcd is one of my favorites, I hope it joins the fray.

Also I installed it easily on my own forum, and you don't have to add the pop-up header that alerts users from their browsers about it. That bit can be skipped, if you don't want to advertise for tapatalk.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:12 am UTC

If davean installst Tapatalk, I'm killing him myself.

Tapatalk can go fuck itself for having the notification on by default.

But in the interest of giving the shitty thing a fare shake, answer davean's questions.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

davean is asking who would benefit, and how much.

that's hard to answer without trying it. I said the same thing you guys said when people suggested it for my website's forum... just use your phone's browser. it mostly works. but it's a pain, zooming in to find the tiny buttons to post, the little links to find your last/active thead, typing in this very wide reply box. I was very surprised.

Let me also stress that enabling bare-bones tapatalk involves the following step: 1) download a file 2) create a directory 3) put the stuff in it. DONE. You don't have to do the "push notification" bullshit, I didn't. You definitely don't have to modify your header file to put the banner up there to annoy everyone if that's what you hate. I am very anti-phpbb-mods, trust me.

Then you go to tapatalk, tell them your forum is part of the party, and tell everyone here about it.

And you delete it a month later to see who complains. also takes five seconds. ta-da. my point is that it's not hurting you, there are security risks to everything (like, phpbb in general), if it is a security issue you delete it. there's my cost-benefit pitch.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”