1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:55 am UTC

[Molpy back]
ChronosDragon wrote:In other news, I am now an officially licensed driver :D I messed up on parallel parking, but no one ever does that in real life, right? right?

Yayy, steakish! Parallel parking is ch*rping m*stardful. I think very few people don't suck at it.

Gorgeous OTColoured, ergman!

Lovely ones from ggh, too.

Exciting Dark Lord as ever, Earthling. Molpish that these are a bit more regular nowadips!

HES wrote:We have a course called "Pass Plus" which you can take after you pass, which covers things like night driving, poor weather, and motorways (which you can't drive on as a learner), but it doesn't go as far as skid pans etc. If there isn't a suitable opportunity for practical experience (i.e. it's the middle of summer so the weather is good and sunset is really late) then you just discuss what you would do with the instructor as you drive around.

I did it a year after passing as an excuse to drive some more. It supposedly makes insurance cheaper, but barely.

I actually just did mine on thursdip, funnily enough. It was good to get a little instruction on motorway driving, as I'd have been nervous of doing it for the first time on my own.

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm not sure what we're fighting over, or if we're even fighting. My thought process doesn't always complete.

...Thus ends the universe.

Chirp, pope. Decree: No more bracketing. Unless you're actually using bbcode, of course.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:01 am UTC

Oh, right. This is the last of the spoilerONGs
Or maybe the next one

Gravitationally inclined molpy.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 am UTC

HES wrote:Gravitationally inclined molpy.

Your new ways of molpying down really make me > Image

(Also, Gravitationally Inclined Molpy is the name of Vital Hotdog Function's next single)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:[Molpy back]
ChronosDragon wrote:In other news, I am now an officially licensed driver :D I messed up on parallel parking, but no one ever does that in real life, right? right?

Yayy, steakish! Parallel parking is ch*rping m*stardful. I think very few people don't suck at it.

Gorgeous OTColoured, ergman!

Lovely ones from ggh, too.

Exciting Dark Lord as ever, Earthling. Molpish that these are a bit more regular nowadips!

HES wrote:We have a course called "Pass Plus" which you can take after you pass, which covers things like night driving, poor weather, and motorways (which you can't drive on as a learner), but it doesn't go as far as skid pans etc. If there isn't a suitable opportunity for practical experience (i.e. it's the middle of summer so the weather is good and sunset is really late) then you just discuss what you would do with the instructor as you drive around.

I did it a year after passing as an excuse to drive some more. It supposedly makes insurance cheaper, but barely.

I actually just did mine on thursdip, funnily enough. It was good to get a little instruction on motorway driving, as I'd have been nervous of doing it for the first time on my own.

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm not sure what we're fighting over, or if we're even fighting. My thought process doesn't always complete.

...Thus ends the universe.

Chirp, pope. Decree: No more bracketing. Unless you're actually using bbcode, of course.

[bbcode]
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 am UTC

I [never] bracket.

Forbidden-[fucking]-Fruit.
I am [bracketing] for the solitary reason, [I was told not to do it.]

Excuse me.
I broke a decree.
[***]
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:51 am UTC

Brackets can indicate words that were [left out of] the original text. They can also be good for [İ]formatting[/İ], ["defining", "arrays"], and accessing["dictionaries"]. Sometimes, any of the following symbols are referred to as brackets: [] {} (). To make a distinction, the first are called [square brackets], the second are {curly brackets} or {curly braces}, and the third are (parenthesis), (rounded brackets), or (grouping operators). Here is a fun game to play when you are feeling brackish: how many brackets are unpaired?

[[][[]][][][[]][[][][][][]]][[]][][[][[]][][[][][[]][][[][[[]][][[]][][[][[][[[][][][][[][]][[][[][[]][[]][]][][][]][]][[]][]][][[]][][[]][]][[]][][[[]][][[][[]]][[]][][[][[]]][][[[]][][[[]][]][[]][[]][]][[][[][][][][]][]][[][][][[][][][[][[]][[][][][][][]][]][]][[][]][[]][[][][][][]]][][[][[][[][[][[][]][]][]]][][[][][]][[]][][][][][][[][[]][][[]][]][[][[][[][[][[]][[]][]]

[I'm a fugitive from the (papal) law. I bracketed so hard I forgot to unbracket.

I regret nothing!

waveney

]]]]]]]]]]

Postby waveney » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:11 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote: how many brackets are unpaired?

[[][[]][][][[]][[][][][][]]][[]][][[][[]][][[][][[]][][[][[[]][][[]][][[][[][[[][][][][[][]][[][[][[]][[]][]][][][]][]][[]][]][][[]][][[]][]][[]][][[[]][][[][[]]][[]][][[][[]]][][[[]][][[[]][]][[]][[]][]][[][[][][][][]][]][[][][][[][][][[][[]][[][][][][][]][]][]][[][]][[]][[][][][][]]][][[][[][[][[][[][]][]][]]][][[][][]][[]][][][][][][[][[]][][[]][]][[][[][[][[][[]][[]][]]

These ones:

**********************************[********[**********[**[************[****************************************************************************[********************************************************************************************************************************************[****************************************************************[**[**[***************

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:17 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Brackets can indicate words that were [left out of] the original text. They can also be good for [İ]formatting[/İ], ["defining", "arrays"], and accessing["dictionaries"]. Sometimes, any of the following symbols are referred to as brackets: [] {} (). To make a distinction, the first are called [square brackets], the second are {curly brackets} or {curly braces}, and the third are (parenthesis), (rounded brackets), or (grouping operators). Here is a fun game to play when you are feeling brackish: how many brackets are unpaired?

[I'm a fugitive from the (papal) law. I bracketed so hard I forgot to unbracket.

I regret nothing!

Code: Select all

> function t(s) { q=0; for (var i=0; i<s.length; i++) { if (s[i]=="[") { q++; } else { q--; }; }; return q; }
undefined
> t("[[][[]][][][[]][[][][][][]]][[]][][[][[]][][[][][[]][][[][[[]][][[]][][[][[][[[][][][][[][]][[][[][[]][[]][]][][][]][]][[]][]][][[]][][[]][]][[]][][[[]][][[][[]]][[]][][[][[]]][][[[]][][[[]][]][[]][[]][]][[][[][][][][]][]][[][][][[][][][[][[]][[][][][][][]][]][]][[][]][[]][[][][][][]]][][[][[][[][[][[][]][]][]]][][[][][]][[]][][][][][][[][[]][][[]][]][[][[][[][[][[]][[]][]]")

[muahahaha]
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:32 am UTC

More RELATED use of brackets:

|> 
           _   |   _
          [_]--'--[_]
          |'|""`""|'|
          | | /^\ | |
 _  _ _   |_|_|I|_|_|  _ _  _

[Not mine, found on an awful Geocities page.]
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:More RELATED use of brackets:

|> 
           _   |   _
          [_]--'--[_]
          |'|""`""|'|
          | | /^\ | |
 _  _ _   |_|_|I|_|_|  _ _  _

[Not mine, found on an awful Geocities page.]

wait, Geocities is still up??

[checks]

And it even has embedded MIDI and everything. It's like 1999 all over again!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

mrob27

Zeno_1 at NP1426 (of 1804)

Postby mrob27 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:50 am UTC

☇☇☇ Blitz Report — page 1426/1804 ☇☇☇

It's kind of treeish to read a part of the OTT that I've read before. It is familiar and brings back memories. I have had to resist the temptation to compose replies to things that I already replied to. :)

The Cookiepocalypse has begun:

(by @higgs-boson)

and @Eternal Density decides to begin making an OTTification of C**kie Clicker. Those who aren't addictively clicking like mad can choose to listen either to @yappobiscuits' happy Molpies or to a 5-hour Nyan Cat video. Which would you choose?

☇☇☇ The Epilogue Sequence ☇☇☇

ggh wrote: til recently, I still held out hope that a message for us about a meetup was hidden in the epilogue. That hope was strengthened when the sequences changed for 2014 - I thought maybe the date had come and gone without us having figured it out, so GLR was pushing the date to something that wouldn't require time travel. Then, at the end of January, I was sad to see how much pattern and symmetry was present in the sequences, because now I doubt that there is room leftover in which to hide a message. I should make a post about it before too much Time passes. I've pretty much given up, but it would be awesomeful if some blitzer (hint, hint) identified the folly of my ways and discovered a prize. :)

Shortly after @mscha described the 7-second delay on server 107.6.97.99, I wrote to him and pointed out that during the 3000+ frames of Time, server delays happened several times, and we were checking multiple times per hour to discover anything we might otherwise miss. I suggested that his bot should not be relying on the new Epilogue frame to be "announced" within the first 7 seconds, or even the first few minutes, after the ONG. Instead, I would recommend checking five times per hour (at :05, :15, :30, :45, and :55) with a majority vote to decide what the 'official' ONG frame is.
    I haven't gotten a response from @mscha about this, I suppose he's busy. But for now, based on the description of his bot checking exactly at "ONG:00" and sometimes getting the previous frame, I am guessing that our existing Epilogue data cannot be proven to be completely accurate. There are also some completely missing frames, from times the servers were not responding at all.
    What this means for the meetup theory is pretty clear: Randall knows that this method of transmitting information is inherently prone to occasional mustard, so any message will be sent with redundancy to ensure the message gets through. That means that a single ONG of data, like those 'deviant' D's that sometimes came at the beginning of a new 24-cycle, are probably not part of any message.

☇☇☇ The Zeno Calculation ☇☇☇

At Newpage 1426, I have arrived at the point when I began reading the OTT from page 1. I was essentially schizo-blitzing, which is easier to do during the first 60 or so pages (there weren't many continuing discussions during that early period of the OTT).

Since Newpage 1426 is where the OTT was when I "began blitzing", it is my Zeno1 point. For any Blitzer who reads the entire thing from the beginning, the Zeno0 point is Newpage 1, and my Zeno2 is where the Present is as you read this message (NP1804).

That's a lot of Newpages! Measured in Outside time, I am actually a couple mips further behind now than I was when I started Blitzing! Kinda makes me wonder if I'll ever get there... so

Based on xkcd 1153 :

ARROW
The Pope again calls for the Book of Armaments
(spoiler-free for NP1426 or later)

Now seems like a reasonably good time to make the first calculation of my estimated time of arrival in the present.

Calculating the ENAitP (Estimated Newpage of Arrival in the Present) for a Blitzer who has just reached xer point of departure

A bunch of maths inside the Spoiler:; don't worry too much about the details...
Spoiler:
Symbols:
  B = current blitzing position = where the Present was when Blitz started
  P = Present
  R = P-B = remaining pages to Blitz
  F = R/B = remaining pages as a fraction of pages blitzed so far
  (and 1/F = Blitzer's speed as a multiple of OTT's speed)
  E = Estimated Newpage of Arrival

Calculation:
   E = B + B F + B F2 + B F3 + ...
    = B + B R/B + B R F/B + B R F2/B + ...
    = B + R + R F + R F2 + ...
    = B (1 + F + F2 + F3 + ...)
    = B (1/F)/((1/F) - 1)
    = B (1/F)/((1 - F)/F)
    = B F/(F(1 - F))
    = B/(1 - F)
    = B/(1 - R/B)
    = B/((B - R)/B)
    = B2/(B - R)
    = B2/(B - (P - B))
    = B2/(2B - P)

Answer: B=1426 and P=1804, so my E.T.A. estimate is 14262/(2*1426 - 1804) = 1940, meaning that if the OTT and I keep the same average rates, I'll be with you by Newpage 1940.

While the OTT added 378 Newpages, I read 1426 Newpages during the same period, so I have been reading 1426/378 = 3.77 times as fast as the OTT is writing, averaged over that entire period.

In the time it takes me to read those remaining 378 pages, the OTT should add about another 378/3.77 = 100 pages, so my Zeno3 point will probably be around NP1904.

— mrob27 Image (continuing the Blitz...)

Spoiler:
retrott-1153-zeno.png
retrOTTification of xkcd 1153
retrott-1153-zeno.png (48.9 KiB) Viewed 12079 times

Edit: I had "NP1904" in two places, the first was supposed to be 1804.
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0716

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:30 am UTC

ONGLOPHONES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:54 am UTC

Treeish OTColoured, ergman, HES, and ggh!
Congrats on your terrestrial raftcastle operating license, ChronosDragon!
HES wrote:Oh, right. This is the last of the spoilerONGs
Spoiler:
Or maybe the next one
Also, the title text is back to the First Commandment.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am UTC

Treeish AotC OTTercomic, Image !

taixzo wrote:And it even has embedded MIDI and everything. It's like 1999 all over again!

Hideous, isn't it? :D

____
                  /^\   / -- )
                 / | \ (____/
                / | | \ / /
               /_|_|_|_/ /
                |     / /
 __    __    __ |    / /__    __    __
[  ]__[  ]__[  ].   / /[  ]__[  ]__[  ]
|__            ____/ /___           __|
   |          / .------  )         |
   |         / /        /          | 
   |        / /        /           |
~~~~~~~~~~~~-----------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:38 am UTC

« Frame 13: NP1797:39 | » Frame 15: NP1808:29

The Zanclean Zodiac

It's lurkreply time. I sorta want to post them all, but to overwhelm is to what's the point? Plus, it's the weepend, and well, it would seem a bit of a waste. It's late. I like staying up....but sometimes sleep is required. Coma, even. And, without further ado, lurkreplies:

Saying "Hey, baby" in a deep voice to a baby is not as creepy as it sound. It's kinda funny actually.

I came up with a new term: comatoasty. It's that part of the sleep where you're...toasty. Either during or at the end when you want to press snooze for the 1190th time.

Neat beatlemolp rendition, lmjbugmolp. *cough*littlemolpyjunebug*cough* Ninja'd by very next post.

Thanks for the return of the colpix, ergman! Wowterful job HES, ergman, ggh.

Colorful retropix, mrob! Hah, what timing ^^.

HES wrote:The forum has done this epsilon thing a couple of times where it marks read posts as unread.
Maybe you didn't realize my post was new? No, you haven't read those comments before. lol.

freezeblade wrote:Also, what in the world is going on in this thread? It's like another world in here!
Hello, photoshop oak expert. Don't worry, none of us really knows what's going on either. It's more like the real world that way anyways. :)

HES wrote:
adnapemit wrote:But you are not IN The basement, you ARE The basement.

What if the basement ends up in the basement? We have enough temporal rifts around here, I'm not sure we can cope with a spacial one as well.
Easy solution: OrbitalFacePalm9001 can never leave. :mrgreen:

cellocgw wrote:I'll leave you w/ this gem: my spousal unit came home w/ a bottle of Nirvana - brand bottled water, so naturally I told her it smelled like Teen Spirit :twisted:
Nice to see ya in here. I did see you in anotherThread, with your 1190 Forever sig and wondered if it were still true. yay! -- Well, well, that Nirvana news doesn't sit well with me. How can they be branding that? Is this widow work? Too sad. Just sell the albums and art, nothing more please. -- Uh, I mean, good joke. *still sad*

january1may wrote:Proponents of the TimeFrame version of the religion finally realized that there's no obvious way to say "longpix".

Didn't notice when they started, but there's been a bunch of posters calling newpix "nüpiks" (complete with the random umlaut). I don't think that trend was ever officially named (and I'm not sure that it even was a trend).

The first mention of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters is on NP195, in a context that sounds like they're well known already. Except they were never mentioned before.
I thought (though I was confused and still am) that TimeFrame was not connected to our heretical hours at all, therefore there was no way to distinguish the new length between frames, nor should it matter.

I might have been one to use nüpiks if it were easy to do on my keyboard, but umlauts are not standard in my part of the world (though all I'd have to do is change my layout...but nah -- the closest I come is DVORAK (on my phone)).

If this is the one I'm thinking of, it was never declared and that bothered me too.

BlitzGirl wrote:Silent nip...wipend nip...

Drawceptional. ;)

BlitzGirl wrote:You may be interested in this ottification of "The Raven" by Rule110
Hmm, this needs updated. Because it did change. And I think a line that says "RUN." and such would be cool.

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
Finally worked out how to do this OTThercomic

By Rule #763, you do NOT want to know how I made this.
Actually, I do.

balthasar_s wrote:I think that when the next madness comes I will jump into the present until it ends; then continue blitzing.
Great idea (for someone who wants to keep xis sanity, sorta). Hopefully as long as the posting rate doesn't explode during the next madness I'll just keep myself in the present.

MistyCat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What should Cuegan do now?

A) Set up camp?
B) Build a fire?
C) Roast some raptorcat?
D) Make out?
E) All of the above?

Choice D should be higher on the list. After all, two stick figures rubbing together ought to result in Choice B.
Hehe. *thoughts swirling, must write /fiction*

ChronosDragon wrote:Image
Wow(terful), that required quoting. Stupendous job!

balthasar_s wrote:In the DB, this (http://178.79.159.24/Time/ottifications/newpage/200/) is a direct copy from the other comic, not an ottification, nothing changed.
True. It's not in the wiki, so it's probably not an OTTification (but simply a related comic).

newpixbot wrote:BROBDONGNAGIAN...
Heh. This is actually easier to say than the non-ONGified version.

Purplepants77 wrote:
A Complete History of the One True Comic Through the Eyes of a Humble Waiter
Lovely soul-bearing. I can't check the song, but what would "Tetris" be? When I played on my GameBoy back in the day there were three songs to choose from.

lmjb1964 wrote:
HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:...it's hard to read and even figure out what the heck you're supposed to be doing.

Sounds familiar, you should be great at that by now ;)]

:D And my part has lots of rests, so I'll have plenty of time to Wait for It.
So, basically you get paid for waiting for it? Sweet deal!

lmjb1964 wrote:So, are there two different stories happening, the mysteryONGs and azule's? Or is it all the same and azule in doing the mysteryONGS? At any rate, it's good to hear from azule again, even if it is remotely.
Probably already clear by the time I post this, but, they're separate. I'm just horrible at timing and waiting for it and na na na you can't make me wait ni ni ni!

mscha wrote:ONGsomeful Zanclean Zodeac newnewpix!
I'll have to figure out a way to archive these in TimeAfterTime without mixing them in with the MysteryONGs. Not sure how... Image
Thanks, that sounds sweet. I didn't think about its inclusion in your archive (I also hadn't thought of your collection as an archive, probably because it is so active). You may understand why I thought that when we get past the prologue. :oops:

SilentTimer wrote:Megan fits the scene.
Now I need a Cueball with a matching face expression.

Hey – where's my graphics tablet?
But, they don't have faces. :shock:
I have a comment about tablets.
Pleasant rest of the post. *shuts down comments overload*

AluisioASG wrote:(Me, after FLACing and tagging an ABBA album)
Me, interested in technicals.

AluisioASG wrote:I have no idea what this all means.
Hah, you finally admit it. :wink:

HES wrote:I really, really should not have been surprised by the Australian accent. That's like being surprised by spoilers that say
Spoiler:
(I read the thread in British English. It's why the OTVOP weirds me out.)
Interesting to hear that a British speaker may find an Aussie accent odd. To me, an 'merican, you both sound similar (but I'm sure I could tell the accents apart). For the OTVO, I was not upset to hear all the accents. I enjoyed that. But, maybe, really, the tones (nasal, deep, girly?). It's the same problem as in book to movie. I don't think they really sound like that (until I get used to it). My Simpson's DVD has some foreign language tracks and ... no, that is not Homer (nor the rest). Homer is a deep voiced machismo when speaking Spanish? No, no, no. lol.

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:If you need to know the rules, let me know and I'll say something about it in the next post.

No need. We can wait to find out.
ergman wrote:So what's your game, Azule?
Hmm, which side do I choose: reveal or not?
lmjb1964 wrote:So, what's the hotdog?
2 to 1. Soon.
Vytron wrote:Hey azule! Thanks for your lurkpost and for your Zodiac. No, I don't need to know the rules, but I want to know them!
You're ... welcome. *looks around* Another for the rules. Rules it is.
FutureNote: Obviously late.

mrob27 wrote:I did indeed know all of Time the comic, before I de-lurked back on NP1412. And I also knew that the OTTers had been pretty strongly affected by it.
But what I did not anticipate was the emotional impact of actually reading through those Newpages

<snip/>

It was a troubling time, with much fear, uncertainty and doubt, reinforced by actual loss as OTTers realized this wonderful community was dwindling — some signed off apparently for good.
So even though I knew there would be pages and pages of ONGst, it was an abstract notion up until when I actually hit those pages.
True. It was the end of our controlled community. What followed that is us taking control and choosing to remain a community. That's pretty cheery (even with the loss of the many who have yet to return).

sonicspin wrote:
ergman wrote:Alright, here's a quick little hat for sonicspin

CHAO HAT
I <3 YOU NAO, HAVE FUN
I approve. Chaos. MSPaint (begrudgingly). Win. ergman.

taixzo wrote:Grr. I just tried to do some work on my OTC soundtrack, and discovered that I can no longer log in to OSX because my disk is too full or something. And it's a Garageband file, so I can't work in another operating system. So I'll have to put that on hold until I can borrow someone else's computer or fix mine. :(
Wow, that sucks. We'll wait. I hope you can get that resolved.
FutureNote: Well, looks like I'm on a roll. I mean, I posted this, and it was fixed (in the past)!

yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:It just would be nice to find a way to do the thing you want to do but in an OTTerific way. Of course, if I feel strongly about it I can just do an awards thing in the style I'm attempting to convey. But, for now, I won't be. FutureNote: But I might now-will be. We'll see.

Well, that brings into question - what exactly is the OTTerific way? We're so diverse here I don't really know how to define that. Do you just mean more silly or something? Sure, silly is fun, but as I've said I'm running the OTTscars the way I am in order to create a reflective look back at all the best bits of the thread so far… but still, redundancy is molpish, and I'd sure be interested to see how you'd run such a thing, if you do plan to go ahead with something! *Waits for it*
*whew* I'm glad I didn't make it worse by perpetuating the conversation. *point for maturity* I'm glad you understand my viewpoint moreso now. I'm sorry that I confused your desire for a "highlighted look-back" as just another awards thingie. My bad. I'm a jerk of all kinds, including knee.

Yes, actually, I do mean more silly. But I also mean more graphy and OTTified (wherein we change something familiar into our very own), et al. Yep-yep, you'll have to wait, but if I don't do it, you xuys will still get to know what it was gonna be. :)

HES wrote:Image
(Does this count as an OTColoured?)
Yes.

NoMouse wrote:Now they will try to hide the Beanies' dead body by throwing it into the "cave". To their surprise, the body would just disappear. The blue thing is actually showing us a part of spacetime continuum in which Time is shifted a few minutes into the past. So the body that is already in is actually this Beanies' body. Does that make sense?
I get it. Kinda creeps me out a little, though. (I think it's more than a few minutes, probably an hour.)

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
AnotherKevin wrote:
ergman wrote:just one though. also does anyone mind if I bump up my last idea?
It got stuck at the bottom of a page:
the comic is going slow, and thus the thread is going slow. Its interesting how much the amount of time between each frame varies. Sometimes they barely move at all, and in others minutes could have passed. That means the amount of time per newpix is not constantly consistent (or consistently constant?) with the time Megan and Cueball experience.

Let's go off and found the sect of the Schematists!

The OTC is a schematic representation of Megan and Cueball's world!

Not only is Time not to scale - newpix can be separated by what appear to be seconds, or what appear to be hours - but Space is not to scale either. They would not say, "it's been days" when they've hiked only a few dozen or a few hundred Cueballs at most. And a river that's only 8-10 Cueballs across, and slow moving, is not a great danger to a swimmer. The hills are real hills, not mounds that are only a couple of Cueballs high, and the world - well, I never imagined how big it was. The Randall fills in only what The Randall imagines is necessary to tell The Story, and we Wait for It.

So ... anyone want to convert to Schematist, Randall's-Whimsyism? OTC study is Wednesdays at 8 in the Geekship Hall at First United Schematist. Covered dish supper at 7.
I don't remember that. Pretty cool. I'd be in the Time sect. I don't believe in Space being not to scale.

SilentTimer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Decree: Post something you are going to do this wip-end.

Draw more t1i frames. ;)
We appreciate that. Hey!, why t1i? Do we get to find out at some point?

karhell wrote:Get those pesky pedestrians ! ;)
We knew you were hell on wheels!

moody7277 wrote:
HES wrote:
taixzo wrote:Hovering Beanie!

So, what's Beanish for "import antigravity"?
Threefur comment. Without people like taixzo (and me and others), HES (and me and others) wouldn't be making awesomeful things. moody, that comment made me think...what if Beanish was a computer language. Heck, completely written in Beanish symbols (for now Canadian Aboriginal Symbols). Yeah...

HES wrote:Pre-Manip: Add this to the next ONG
Spoiler:
*shock* Did you just. Spoil. ?

?

AluisioASG wrote:I need possible derivations of OTTers' usernames into first names after ~315-600 years (i.e. assume we all went to Île d'If and isolated ourselves from the Outside; what kind of names could we expect after the given timespan?). I've thought of some but I'd like more ideas.

I also need an authorized Time Traveler. And possibly a parent.
Ok. I need a translation of this transmission. lol. Um, I think mine already is a first name. Oh, as a given name in those many years from now? My name could be Zules, Zoolie, Aaaaaazzzzz. ;) Is that what you mean?

BlitzGirl wrote:[Not mine, found on an awful Geocities page.]
I was going to say "don't you mean awfulsome?" but then I went blind.

ChronosDragon wrote:Image
This is my plant:
Maybe I'll redraw it with my fox (which I haven't drawn yet).

Soup wrote:Molpy Mario Monster!
Indeed!

Spoiler:
Piranha_Plant.jpg
I drawrd this in the before-now.
Piranha_Plant.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 12028 times

Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:02 am UTC

Oooh, attackish* plant, azule!
I like the newwords comatoasty and drawceptional, too!

,.--'```````'--.,
   (\'-.,_______,.-'/)
    \\-.,_______,.-//
    ;\\           //|
    | \\  _____  // |
    |  '-[_____]-'  |
    |               |
    |               |
    |               |
     `'-.,_______,.-'

*[scary]
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:15 am UTC

azule wrote:Hey!, why t1i? DoDid we get to find out at some point?

Yes. (FTFY)
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:28 am UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

[Woah, we have magic like that?]

[Cool!]
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:41 am UTC

[Is this the most purposely not followed pope decree? Some decrees are just ignored but this takes effort to not follow. Was there any other like this?]

azule wrote:Interesting to hear that a British speaker may find an Aussie accent odd. To me, an 'merican, you both sound similar (but I'm sure I could tell the accents apart). For the OTVO, I was not upset to hear all the accents. I enjoyed that. But, maybe, really, the tones (nasal, deep, girly?). It's the same problem as in book to movie. I don't think they really sound like that (until I get used to it). My Simpson's DVD has some foreign language tracks and ... no, that is not Homer (nor the rest). Homer is a deep voiced machismo when speaking Spanish? No, no, no. lol.

To me a British accent is as different to an Aussie accent as it is to any North American accent and that is very different. I am always surprised that people can say the two accents are similar especially since there are so many different accents within Britain(and even just England) and not surprisingly due to the size of Australia the accent does vary quite a bit depending where you are (but maybe not enough to be noticeable by those without an Aussie accent). Even as an Australian I also find an Aussie accent odd if I encounter it on the internet or in movies since I am just not use to hearing it as most accents I hear in those contexts are usually British or American.

I once watched Spongebob Squarepants dubbed in french hearing the usually squeaky and high voice of Spongebob replaced by a deep french accent was rather surreal.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:55 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:[Is this the most purposely not followed pope decree? Some decrees are just ignored but this takes effort to not follow. Was there any other like this?]

[bracket]
[I don't know.]
[But I don't remember any like this]
[/bracket]
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:[Is this the most purposely not followed pope decree?]

I think so. Must be poposite dip.
All of my posts on this newpage include brackets so far, hidden in ASCII art...

/\   /
         /  \  |/
        | || | |>
        \____/ |
        ( .. ) |
        /\__/\ |
       /\ qp /\|
      /  |  |  |
     /|  |db| /\`\
     | \ |  | \|_|
     \  \|qp|  ]
      \__/  |  ]
      |/||db|  ]
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0717

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

DUMPLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

balthasar_s

[Re][: 1190][: "Ti][me"]

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
HES wrote:Image

[Woah, we have magic like that?]
[Cool!]

@pope bans brackets:
When I send my posts from the moon I put a lot of brackets which act as shields against cosmic radiation. When they arrive, the brackets are removed. A typical post looks like this:

[[When I send] [my posts]] [[from] [the moon] [I put]] [[a] [lot] [of] [brackets which]] [[act] [as shields]] [[against cosmic] [radiation. When]] [[they arrive,]] [[the brackets are removed][.] [A]] [[typical po][st loo]][[ks like] [this][:]]

The brackets that should stay must be escaped. and bracketed.
The escape sequence for [ is [/[] .
the escape sequence for [/[] is [[/[][//][/[][/]]] .
the escape sequence for [[/[][//][/[][/]]] is [/[][/[][//][/[][/]][/[][//][//][/]][/[][//][/[][/]][/[][//][/]][/]][/]]]
and so on . . . :wink:

BlitzGirl wrote:Must be poposite dip

Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
H_M_OTT1.png
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:07 pm UTC

Wow, that was a pretty long ketchup for a wipend.

Thanks for the comments on the Dark Lord, BlitzGirl, Jose, and yappo.
ergman wrote:Ahh! I remember wanting to draw a human version of La Petite way back during Aluisio's story, and during Inspiration. This too makes me want to do that. Everybody just
Spoiler:
wait for it
for it.

Do it! I can wait, of course.

moody7277

Re: [Time intensifies]

Postby moody7277 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:[Bracketing intensifies]

Rather appropriate considering the college basketball playoffs are starting soon.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

HES

Ketchup Imminent

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

There was something vitally important I needed to tell you, but I've had an information retention failure.

You'll have to
Spoiler:
panic
He/Him/His Image

TheMinim

Re: Ketchup Imminent

Postby TheMinim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:There was something vitally important I needed to tell you, but I've had an information retention failure.

You'll have to
Spoiler:
panic

*panics*

*thinks about it*

*stops panicking*

[inserts brackets]

ergman

someday I want to make a program about mols, for the name

Postby ergman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

wow, molpish ASCII stuff, BG! And only
one right unpaired round bracket
and 3 right unpaired square brackets.

I too solved Chronosdragon's problem with a program, which I am now using as much as I possibly can.

for example, the page overall (at least, whatever text I get when I select everything)
contains:

unpaired square brackets: 44
unpaired curly brackets:
unpaired round brackets: -14 (-ve means right brackets)
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Image

Treeish illumination of the Holy Books! Maybe I'll add a column for illustrations in the Acts as archived in the OTW. And while I'm at it, I'll add BlitzGirl's, which while not known to have been composed for that purpose, perhaps will was-have-been so-done in the before-when.

I'm not sure which is scarier balthasar_s, the organic spotlights, or the "specially equipped" mooncycle.

Great to see more Zanclean Zodiac azule! Is there supposed to be a navigation bar or somesuch on the site? I can change "latest" to an integer, but is there supposed to be an easier way to step through the images?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HES

Ketchup delayed due to comatoastiness

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

azule wrote:
HES wrote:
adnapemit wrote:But you are not IN The basement, you ARE The basement.

What if the basement ends up in the basement? We have enough temporal rifts around here, I'm not sure we can cope with a spacial one as well.
Easy solution: OrbitalFacePalm9001 can never leave. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, this seems to have happened. Might explain the brackalypse.

azule wrote:Interesting to hear that a British speaker may find an Aussie accent odd. To me, an 'merican, you both sound similar (but I'm sure I could tell the accents apart).

:shock: Your sample contains anomalies. Those accents aren't even remotely alike.

Though I'm sure I would provoke a similar reaction comparing Aussie and South African accents (I can tell the difference, but they have similarities) and certain US and Canadian accents. :roll:

azule wrote:Threefur comment. Without people like taixzo (and me and others), HES (and me and others) wouldn't be making awesomeful things.

We thrive off one another, as proven by balthOTTscar_s. The best jokes and thread memes come from (deliberately or otherwise) misinterpreting something someone says.

azule wrote:*shock* Did you just. Spoil. ?

I think I've been sufficiently vague and redmolpfishy so as not to ruin anything. But since I was spoiled, it was only fair to have some fun with it.

adnapemit wrote:[Is this the most purposely not followed pope decree? Some decrees are just ignored but this takes effort to not follow. Was there any other like this?]

There has been another, before. I forget who, when, what. But I remember this question being asked.

If you tell people not to think about elemolps, what else are they going to do?

BlitzGirl wrote:Must be poposite dip.

mscha wrote:DUMPLONGS...

Thank Silentt. As is probably apparent, I stole a copy of the spoilerframes before they were redacted. In the alternative future timeline, the latest frame looked like this:
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm UTC

[I have added OTColorations in my post on previous page.]
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

Molpy up...

Gahhh! I try to make a decree to end the brackety madness of the previous NP and only made it worse >.<

At least some molpish ascii art came out of it though. Consider that the new decree. Bring more molpish ascii stuff.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

Really treeish, NoMouse!
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Re: Zeno_1 at NP1426 (of 1804)

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:16 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:    What this means for the meetup theory is pretty clear: Randall knows that this method of transmitting information is inherently prone to occasional mustard, so any message will be sent with redundancy to ensure the message gets through. That means that a single ONG of data, like those 'deviant' D's that sometimes came at the beginning of a new 24-cycle, are probably not part of any message.

I should probably make you [wait for it], but I can't resist pointing out that [in my view] you are treeishly wrong and right about this in the same breath. Eventually you will get to a post where I come to understand the 'deviant' D's [at least I think I do]. Not only do they belong there, but they reveal how the four sequences of the month are [fourfoldly] redundant, so when the sequence changes in 2015 [if it does] we will immediately be able to figure out the other three sequences from the first.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:[I have added OTColorations in my post on previous page.]

So very wingish! It's treeish that you used your own photos too.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0718

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

BRIDGONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:[I have added OTColorations in my post on previous page.]

Wow! [I especially love 2158! It never looked especially treacherous to me [as in requiring a rope] until now!]

Thanks for the fun decree ergman [and I loved your entry [shadows and all] - what a great feel!]
[and HES! Fog! Heh - treeish idea!]

Hey, yappo: [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ :P ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

I'm sure some of you will have seen Pokemon Fusion before... I found some RELATED ones! (In name, anyway)
This pokemon is big:
Spoiler:

This pokemon is neat:
Spoiler:
Though it's a shame there's only Gen 1 pokemon available. If it had had Treecko, it would've been possible to make a "Treeish", but this is close enough...

Redundant:
Spoiler:
seaish.png
victreeish.png

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I'm sure some of you will have seen Pokemon Fusion before... I found some RELATED ones! (In name, anyway)
This pokemon is big:
Spoiler:

This pokemon is neat:
Spoiler:
Though it's a shame there's only Gen 1 pokemon available. If it had had Treecko, it would've been possible to make a "Treeish", but this is close enough...

Redundant:
Spoiler:
seaish.png
victreeish.png

Awesomeful! :D

HES

Molpish

Postby HES » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

This pokemon is a miscellaneous positive emotion
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”