1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:42 am UTC

Is there something wrong with newpixbot/oldpixbot? We haven't had an ONG/UNG in a while.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ergman

The numbers become less important than your touches

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 am UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Also, some OTTers are being sidetracked by the Madness discussion thread in the Site/Forum issues section.

Really interesting discussion.

Notably, the acknowledgement that we are woefully off-topic and in breach of forum rules, but that it's too late to do anything about it. The evolution of the OTT kinda mustarded how this thread was supposed to work.
Spoiler:
Belial wrote:So a bit of rambling by way of a forum sociology/history lesson if anyone cares: historically, the community at large has pretty much ignored Individual Comic Threads, because it was filled with what I at one point termed "tumbleweeds". Posters who just blow in to say one or two things and then are never seen or heard from again. It was more like the comments section on a news article than an actual forum. The mods occasionally popped in to deal with reports or maybe do some yelling-at-assholes if randy posted a particularly controversial comic (see: any comic about MRAs or PUAs), but it was considered like...the front yard of the forum.

It's why none of us noticed an actual community emerging in the time thread. There were murmurings of "y'all, the time thread is starting to get really weird" but we didn't really pay attention until y'all had gotten into full swing.

I...kindof wish that hadn't been so? Like, if we had been paying attention there are things we could've done to incorporate y'all into the forum-at-large from the outset. The first one that occurs to me would be to treat the time thread like an actual thread. Specifically, crack down on any discussion of anything other than the time comic while referring you to the relevant part of the forum for discussing the off-topic material. That way, you discuss the time comic in the time thread with your time buddies, and then come out here to talk about everything else, the way it's theoretically supposed to work.

We can't really do that now: the time thread has operated in a way that technically breaks the rules for so long that trying to suddenly start enforcing them would essentially be an attempt to forcibly break up an established community, and would be received...about as well as you might expect. It's why we don't do it.

But that feeling of "being the new kid again"? It's something we really should've exposed you all to in very small doses starting...a year ago. Our bad.

Funny enough, a lot of our culture came from the fact that we aware of that rule. Our entire creed
That EVERYTHING IS RELATED was created to justify the things we put here, even to a rediculous degree, like stratplayer's logic chains. It was half a joke and half legitimate fear that the mods might swoop in and shut down the nonsense. I guess we didn't know this was the forum's outskirts. Weird since it's a forum for xkcd. It's almost a macrocosm of the thread, proving our good old creed that it's ALL RELATED.

Edit: yappope ninja'd. Maybe Mscha is up to something?
Last edited by ergman on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 am UTC

VenturUNG elsewhere

micdi wrote:Long ago...:

Woah. Those are some old names.

Previewedit, I assumed it was because of the slow post rate. Has mscha increased the "n" posts-between-UNGs value? (ETA: at UNG time there were only 8 other posts. Doesn't n=9?)
Previewedit II, it is, of course, all RELATED. I was speaking heretically.
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 am UTC

HES wrote:I was speaking heretically.

Try as you might, you can't escape the inquisition!
Spoiler:
*throws S&M's in HES's general direction*
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time Revisited - np336

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 am UTC

EVUNGELIAR...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by oldpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:15 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Try as you might, you can't escape the inquisition!
Spoiler:

Heh. These hips don't lie :mrgreen:

See, npb's back. He was probably applying some blowtorch-proof upgrades in light of the recent othercomics.
He/Him/His Image

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:16 am UTC

I guess that answers the oldpixbot UNG question...

I have diagnozed the problems that @ergman and @NoMouse were having trying to get "We Love BANA-na-Yada" to work in their setups (one had Opera, and other had Chrome). The script stopped working because I added options checkboxes, and it was using a GreaseMonkey-only method of remembering the settings.

If you were unable to get the script to work, try it again now. here is the link.

The actual functionality is still the same, so there is no reason to update if it was already working for you.

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, MROB27 OTTCOLORISES YOU!

Thanks for the new AUTOMOME, @Link! :mrgreen:
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 am UTC

ergman wrote:I guess we didn't know this was the forum's outskirts. Weird since it's a forum for xkcd.

Yeah, before the dawn of Time, I didn't bother with the fora-at-large either: I only posted on the Othercomic threads. I suspect that most OTTers originally were tumbleweedish before getting snagged in this thread. And once snagged here, most OTTers didn't bother venturing any further abroad. This was treeish enough. So there's not very much overlap between the OTT regular population and that of the Otherfora as a result of this phenomenon.

Also, the What-if page is currently displaying some interesting mustard:

WhatIfMustard.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0823

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 am UTC

SHIMMERONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:44 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:
mrob27 wrote:
NoMouse wrote: Wow, since when were the countries filters applied? I completely missed them.

@BlitzGirl told us about it on NP1816, and Here on NP1818 is a quote by @Dracomax demonstrating that "USA, United States, Germany, Brazil, Russia, Spain" became "EEUU, Estados Unidos, Germany, Brazil, Россия, Spain". Many more countries were added when the Madness got into fully furious doodling and pynk bananay goodness. You can see Iran got changed in the lyrics of the Animaniacs song. I meant to run that whole thing, plus all the corresponding nationalities (e.g. Iranian) through the sieves, but I didn't get around to it.

Yes, I know about these. But they were turned off on Saturday (as the wiki confirms) and then there were no country-filters for at least a day or two, because I have tried it several times. The Star Trekian filters had to come into effect later.

I'm sorry! I was busy and couldn't get to it at the start!

Also, I misspelled Canada and didn't notice until.. 30 minutes ago, which explains... quite a bit.

ergman wrote:That EVERYTHING IS RELATED was created to justify the things we put here, even to a rediculous degree, like stratplayer's logic chains. It was half a joke and half legitimate fear that the mods might swoop in and shut down the nonsense. I guess we didn't know this was the forum's outskirts. Weird since it's a forum for xkcd. It's almost a macrocosm of the thread, proving our good old creed that it's ALL RELATED.?
... yes and no. If you read over the Newbie Guide and the Rules.. we don't really much care for boundary pushing. So it should have been shut down somewhere around page 15 or whatever.

It wasn't.

Our bad.

Too late to fix that now.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 am UTC

So...Time marches on? :wink:

Relevant information from the Site Issues thread, posted here for OTTer perusal:

Azrael wrote:1) We acknowledge that locking the time thread was misguided and had unforeseen consequences. We apologize for the slip up and will strive to prevent future lapses.
2) We cannot exempt specific threads from the Madness word filters. Our sysadmin can, but has only done so on one occasion when, we believe, Randall himself intervened. Simply put, this is not a solution available to the Mod Staff. For Serious. No.
3) In the future, we will supply rough start/end dates for the Madness (better granularity is not really feasible when Boston and Sydney need to be awake at the same time)
4) We will continue to make the Madness Announcement in image form (as we have done in the past) so that it won't be filtered.
5) There will be a "Real Issues Only" thread in SFI for the duration but it will be filtered (see above). Users are requested to use the board's Report feature or PM section mods when actionable issues arise.

On sieves, off topic:
Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote: There's currently 39 filters. Scanning through them, I think they've all been in in place for... a while. There's actually one I know missing because I didn't see it as important enough to put back. [SecondTalon = SexyTalon] ... This year's Madness had almost 600 filters. Knock 40 off that, and that's how many were put in.

This means that our list of currently active filters is woefully inadequate: we only have 10/39. As for this yip's Doodling, we have (very) roughly 413/560. That's pretty good!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:58 am UTC

That looks like a failed git merge.

Also, I think I'm actually grateful to the mods for not splitting us long ago. Yes, it's against the forum rules, but… for some of us, it is the real meaning of that browser button shaped as a house.

Finally, given that our talks with the mods seem to have ended in good terms, I'd like people to not try to board the Raftcastle. It's likely sleeping now.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 am UTC

I don't blame the mods for not nipping the OTT in the bud, because page 15 had begun only 24 hours after the thread was posted. The posting rate at that Time was around 23 posts per hourH. For comparison, current posting rate is about 6 posts per hourH. The early thread was probably very difficult to keep up with.

StillReplayUNG:

HIn Outside units, since we have a larger audience at the moment.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:03 am UTC

CHIRPING MUSTARD, was that otherthread draining. I've read and replied...but I want to stay here, xuys. I'll be a good on-topic boy, I promise. ;)

Spoilered for bleeaaaaa....:
Spoiler:
So, yeah, it was an important discussion, with, hopefully no destructive outcome. I had to put in my vote for the status quo with optional OTTer expansion through otherthreads.

I might continue ketchup here to get that mustard taste out of my mouth. See you in the Future-Future. :)
Last edited by azule on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

Re: I will ALWAYS expect de Peliarian Inquisition

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:05 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
adnapemit wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:here.

Eternal Density Signature wrote:
Spoiler:
Happy April 1st to all!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!?!!!?!? do I STILL click dese. I KNOW weh dey lead. I even hover over to read de url.
it like I be hoping dat one day de video goin change.I miss StormAngel

Oh an' to anyone who hasn't clicked de links please do. dey lead to an awesome video. Best video ever.
StormAngel made someting Duckish recently but he hasn't yet had an opportunity to upload it. Maybe Me goin get him to pass it along to me.

Thanks for the kind sword, adnapemiT! I miss Time too. Have you seen this video yet?

Here's the OTTification that ED mentioned:

Speak of the angel, and he shall appear!
No time for full ketchup now. I'm sitting on top of a hill and it just started to rain. Oops.

Previewninjedit: aww ninja'd again.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Time Revisited - np339

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 am UTC

UNGLICE...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by oldpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 am UTC

I found the otherthread more enlightening than draining, but at the same time I do feel decidedly un-OTTish after it.

Molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, chirp, mustard, treeish wowterful semencoffeecancerbaconstarsandbabiesonice!

That's better.

(Edited to remove asterisks, since I can be naughty on a RNM! :mrgreen: )
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 am UTC

For how long has been Megan gone now?

And congrats, yappo. You got to insert a naughty word into the next part.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Still posting in the rain

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 am UTC

Also, congrats on 15 posts, azule!

BTW, PMs were also filtered, which makes the task of PMing (SwiftKey wants to turn that into Pringles) mods a bit technical.

And double ninja'd! Hi otters and dragons!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Rain-free todip!

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:32 am UTC

Happy 2200 posts, yappo! Image
Cake:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density wrote:BTW, PMs were also filtered, which makes the task of PMing (SwiftKey wants to turn that into Pringles) mods a bit technical.

Psst, I have a trick that can help you if you really seriously need to avoid a filter in a PM or some such.

Spoiler:
Normally, "Oh me yarm! Your justified Basic Human Decency about The Affordable Care Act made me lose twenty dollars and my self respect!" will turn out thus:
Oh me yarm! Your justified Basic Human Decency about The Affordable Care Act made me lose twenty dollars and my self respect!

However, with the trick, "OMG! Your shrill political correctness about Obamacare made me lose the game!" will still look like this:
OMG! Your shrill political correctness about Obamacare made me lose the game!

...because BBCode is epsilon. Quote me and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, this is only to be used in case of emergency, as the doodlers like their doodles intact when possible. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I found the otherthread more enlightening than draining, but at the same time I do feel decidedly un-OTTish after it.
I have a pit in my stomach. Confrontation does that to me. *ack* Yeah, I felt weird. Un-OTTish, as you say. I didn't even know. I DIDN'T KNOW!! (Okay, I knew, just didn't want to admit it. lol)

Eternal Density wrote:Also, congrats on 15 posts, azule!
Thanks! And yay, an excuse to post this:
azule wrote:Stupid numbers. Not that anyone was noticing, but I was lining up my posts to coincide with 1000 in OTT, followed by two significant numbers when done posting...but now it's off by one because I thought Announcement Threads were postCount+=0. *sad face* Oddly, I am missing 5 posts from the search results. It said I had 1088, but only 1083 were displayed. I'm thinking a deleted previous announcement thread... Oh, well.
Update: It actually helped.
Spoiler:
My calculations were off by one....so it was post 1100 and OTT post 1024.
So, it was supposed to be OTT post 1000 was the first Zanclean Zodiac. Post. Post. Post. Repeat. Then ending on those numbers. haha.....
BTW, I did not post that before...I just used quote tags. Sorry.

My spoiler has mustard. Don't wanna fix.

Other musings: Am I wrong or do OtherComic threads have their fair amount of off-topicness that is never addressed? I just think we should be considered fairly amongst the others. *shrug*
Spoiler:
Or maybe I see it and it's fixed later...

Edit. Oh, url tags don't spoiler things. :oops:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 am UTC

FlattUNGed Skull?

azule wrote:Other musings: Am I wrong or do OtherComic threads have their fair amount of off-topicness that is never addressed? I just think we should be considered fairly amongst the others. *shrug*

Generally they do meander a bit - that's probably part of the reason why the OTT was left alone early on. And later on...it became the OTT. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 am UTC

Somehow this thread is wrong. Funny wrong, but wrong nonetheless.
Never knew a thread like that would get so many posts.

ETA, for 1111 posts:
Spoiler:
8====D
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 am UTC

Oh hey, Neil's got 15 posts too!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:11 am UTC

Quick ONG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:15 am UTC

Not bad, Cueball. Though I didn't know you and Megan could levitate, too.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Link

Postby Link » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful, Link! Thanks for the update!

CEILING DOOM BANANA IS WATCHING YOU CHIRP

:shock: That can't be good...

Scary!

So¹, re. the "Time thread vs. rest of the fora" debate. This is mostly addressed to OTTers who rarely or never venture outside of the Time thread, but others may find it useful as well.
I've obviously been on the fora for a long time before discovering this thread in all its glory, and I must say they're among the nicest places on the internet. Frankly, the fora are very much like the Time thread, only with slightly less "sugar". Some of the forum regulars may seem rather brash on occasion, but any brashness is almost always addressed to people who Just Don't Get It™, and if it isn't, the poster usually apologises for it. While the Time thread is seen as rather weird and cultish by some members of the fora², if there's one thing that sets the fora apart from other places on the internet, it's that the people there generally have a very open mind, and as long as you try not to offend anyone, you will be accepted, regardless of whether you're "normal"³, slightly kooky, or clinically insane. So what I want to say to everyone is this: if you haven't ventured outside of the Time thread and into the rest of the fora, just try it. Read a few threads, make a few posts. If you don't like it, just return to the Time thread, but don't just reject the rest of the fora a priori. Also, don't be discouraged by the locking of the Time thread. The mods have admitted that it was, in hindsight, a pretty bad move. While intent is emphatically not magic, we all make mistakes, and if your intent was always good and you apologise and try to make up for your mistakes, then I think you deserve a second chance. And, really, that's what most of the fora's regulars are good at: taking responsibility for their actions, and forgiving each other's mistakes. So go ahead, give it a try.

Of course, I'd also like to tell the rest of the fora (although the chance of them actually reading this post is slim) to give the Time thread a chance, because it's generally fun and almost always light-hearted, and full of excellent, albeit slightly weird people (and I'm definitely including myself in that).

Re. the recent ONGs: I love this story line! I'm going to be a very sad bananachirpy if there are any more casualties, though.

¹I'm going to post this bit in regular English because I want it to be understandable for everyone, including non-OTTers.
²In fact, I'd say the primary reason for that is that the Time thread contains so many people who never post anywhere else.⁴
³By some arbitrary standard.
⁴It's either that, or the molpies.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 am UTC

That one actually made me laugh the first time since Monday morning:
AUTOMOME wrote:I LOVE MY WOMEN LIKE I LOVE MY BEESNAKES: COVERED IN HERESY"

Thank you for the AUTOMOME.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Time Revisited - np342

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am UTC

OPERAGOUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Molpy down.

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 am UTC

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Link! It's treeish to hear the perspective of somemolpy who joined the OTT recently.

AUTOMOME wrote:I OTTIFIED ALL THE OTTERS

:D
Isn't that redundant? Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:46 am UTC

If you try to OTTify an OTTer, do they become twice as OTTish or does it cancel itself out and they become... normal?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:09 am UTC

ergman wrote:Swirlity twirlitry,
Jimbobmacdoodle is
Here from old times, welcome
Forward at last!

Well it's still open
Let's grab an old pope and some
Memorabilia
Straight from the past!

Yay a double-dactyl about me. I truly feel like a real OTTer now :)

ucim wrote:
HES wrote:Did... did jimbobmacdoodle just accidentally invent Schizoblitzing?
Depends on whether he's just skipping, or whether he feels a deep void in his psyche which can only be filled by drinking fully from the One True Thread. The Calling is not for everyone, and it's molpish just to have him here in the present.

Hmmm... I think you're right. I found another bOTTle with a message in it that reads:

jimbobmacdoodle, on page 800 wrote:I found this interesting comment by BlitzGirl
BlitzGirl wrote:I like it. Temporal confusion is my favorite!

This is roughly how I feel at the moment. It's almost as if I've been split in two - I get flashes of the future and something about the OTC restarting or something.

I am certainly happy about the oldpix being reposted - I seem to have picked up right where I got lost in the past way back around the time of the previous Madness.

Edit: Clarifying my last sentence a bit to avoid confusion
Last edited by jimbobmacdoodle on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:37 am UTC

# Postcount: 217

BlitzGirl wrote: Psst, I have a trick that can help you if you really seriously need to avoid a filter in a PM or some such.
Spoiler:
Normally, "Oh me yarm! Your justified Basic Human Decency about The Affordable Care Act made me lose twenty dollars and my self respect!" will turn out thus:
Oh me yarm! Your justified Basic Human Decency about The Affordable Care Act made me lose twenty dollars and my self respect!

However, with the trick, "OMG! Your shrill political correctness about Obamacare made me lose the game!" will still look like this:
OMG! Your shrill political correctness about Obamacare made me lose the game!

...because BBCode is epsilon. Quote me and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, this is only to be used in case of emergency, as the doodlers like their doodles intact when possible. :wink:

Oooh, that's a good one! It even works when I convert the HTML to RHTF and then convert the RHTF to BBcode! Image

azule wrote: (talking about mismatch between displayed post count and actual number of posts) because I thought Announcement Threads were postCount+=0 ...

I have noticed that "Count to a million" in the Forum Games section does not add to my post count. There you're supposed to just add a new post (except when it would break the double-post rule) containing the number "57641", or whatever number of posts the thread will have once your post is added (noting that's one more than the number of "replies" displayed in the topics list, or two more than the replies before you make your post, but well, 57642 now because I just posted... :roll:). As such, it's a forum "game" based around making posts just for the sake of making posts (pretty much) so it makes sense that it wouldn't count towards your post count.
    The thread "Gender pronouns for our Forum Gamers!", which is also in the Forum Games area, also does not add to your post-count. I just posted there; it has a very specific, narrowly-defined and serious purpose that is explained extensively in its first post: to tell @Weeks what pronoun you're used to being referred to with. As such, I would only need to post there once and it "ought to" add to my post-count — but nevertheless, my post there did not add to my post-count.
    My theory at present is that none of the threads in Forum Games add to my post count. But I don't have a reason (yet) to spend more time trying to find out. Perhaps @Vytron, who has posted several times in "Programming Wars round 9: The Ants are my Friends 2.0", knows if that thread adds to his (he/him/his = she/her/hers) postcount. Perhaps others can point me towards the FAQ that answers the question more broadly. I tried the advanced search, but it's just not smart enough to figure out what I'm thinking :roll:

— mrob27 Image

P.S. I got page-topper in the Million thread, which means I should include an image, the less RELATED the better. (Really!). I gave this:
Spoiler:
Here, have some pynk bananas ... Left-over from the Furious Doodling!

Edit: Make some of the thread titles link to their threads.
Edit2: Change Weeks to @Weeks and likewise for @Vytron
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:40 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am UTC

(just posted at http://beanishlang.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -corpus-i/ -- as it is not pure linguistic mumbling, but "applied Beanish", I hope it is not a problem to x-post it here)

It is time to go back to our corpus. I will use the abugida hypothesis I developed, as it makes it easier to explain, and I will try to analyze it without the linearity of the last time, jumping to where it seems necessary.

In frame 2663, we have our first Beanish sentence: ᔪᕒᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ (“nalaka zaga?”). We know it is a question, but there has been much debate about it’s meaning, the three most accepted suggestions being “Where are you from?”, “Who are you?” and “Do you speak/understand Beanish?”.

The first option is similar to Rosetta’s sentence “Whence have you traveled here?”, the second is the one with less semantic load. We know that ᔪ (“na”) is correlated with questions and ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”) is common in sentences that probably indicate locations, as it was even proposed to translate it as “where” (but we know that Beanish is supposed to be as different from English as possible, and word-by-word translations are difficult). ᔪ (“na”) could be a mark for incomplete information, to be supplied by the listener, similar to Lojban’s “ma” (i.e., a closer translation would be “(you) came from {na}”, expecting the listener to answer “(we) came from X”). This would make ᘛᔭ (“zaga”) the action (“the verb”), possibly inflected for past and second-person plural; in fact, ᘛ (“za”) is found in other sentences whose meaning seem to include movement, as in frame 2865 (possibly “where are they from?”, or, better, “(do) they came from (the-)wildlands?” — the mark of past, if any, would be in the verb) and in frame 2880 (possibly “you can leave now”). These are the three hypothesis from this interpretation: ᔪ- (“na”) is a prefix for incomplete information, used in questioning; ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”) refers to physical locations and ᘛ (“za”) is part (root?) of actions (verbs?) related to movement.

Regarding the second hypothesis, “Who are you?”, ᔪ- (“na”) could still be a prefix for incomplete information (even though it makes more sense with the previous option), making ᕒᖚᐧ (“laka”) a word related to people (“who”). It does not seem very plausible to me, as we also probably need to omit either the copula verb (“are”) or the pronoun (“you”); while the second alternative is more common, given the analysis above (for ᘛᔭ “zaga” as “to move/leave”) I’d say it is more likely that the verb is omitted and that ᘛ (“za”) is related to the second-person plural.

Regarding the third option, “Do you speak Beanish?”, it is the one that makes more sense to me in the narration (the Beanies have already heard Cueball and Megan speaking in a foreign language, it wouldn’t make much sense to make any other question other than one that tries to establish a channel of communication — accepting it is a question), but has some linguistic difficulties. We’d have two main semantic elements, the action (“to speak”, or “to understand”) and the name of the language/people (“beanish”). Still accepting that ᔪ (“na”) is common in questions, it could be taken as the mark for a yes/no question, and in fact we assume that, in frame 2880, ᔪᑕ (“naʒa”) is indeed “yes” (some people have translated as “ok”, just like ᖉᑦ, “faj”, in frame 2806, but I believe it actually is “good”). It still a bit difficult to translate this sentence (it could also be “(do) you understand us?”, which is less likely given the later usage of ᕒᖚᐧ “laka”), but I would not rule it out.

(personal note to Randall: if you are reading this, please give us more corpus! even Linear A has more than a thousand specimens! please, please, oh, pretty please!)
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:52 am UTC

My theory at present is that none of the threads in Forum Games add to my post count.

Correct. Likewise for FaiD.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

azule
Saved

Lurk Madness 2014

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:This is roughly how I feel at the moment. It's almost as if I've been split in two - I get flashes of the future and something about the OTC restarting or something.
Hmm. Sounds like you're on an adventure. Neat. ^_^

Now time for lurkreplies: (BTW, I have approximately 80 more (not including these)...Sorry).

On the movies, I should have said instead that we all should meta-see these classics. That is to say, see those top 100films things and see the iconic scenes and spoilers. That's pretty much how I get through life: meta-style. :mrgreen:

balthabuddy, congrats on SCIENCE! (diploma)

taixzo, neat #1348. Plus EDs version. (Better words from me, sorry.)

Funny cONGjecture, macraw!

Thank you, mikrit, for being here, and for your RELATED.

Quoting is a chore, so, hi, mrob27. I saw that thing that you did. You know the one, with the all the pictures. I liked the breakdown(s). Thanks.

The non-creepy kind of red spider, Aluisio. :|

#1350 sandcastle mention.

HES wrote:ONGIFICATION...
Neat! It actually makes more sense than the original!

macraw83 wrote:(I don't know why, but I have a thing for parentheses.)
Me too. I tried to move to footnotes along with everyone else (and it does help with readability (other times it ruins it)) but this is just my styleSSC.

SSC Style Subject to Change.

ggh wrote:
rvloon wrote:Right. So I am officially now The OTTer That Time Forgot.

<snip/>Chirp, June Bug has made me cry(!) and then I never even thought to mention her songs in Round 1
I see that this wasn't serious, and I'd even have given rvloon the yappo explanation. But on ggh's point, that was a bit of a worry. It is really hard to recognize all that are deserving. Maybe there should be an Unrecognized Awards, but, how would it get populated? lol.

balthasar_s wrote:
czule wrote:Creepy. heh. Is this the start? EDIT: Ooh, with the following MysteryONGs...you predicted it... OR spoiled it. You might be making them, balthasaurus_rex?
Yes, predicted. I didn't misuse any of the time portals . . .
I want to believe you but those ". . . " worry me. Eh, kudos (anyway)!

Spaceman Spiff wrote:For the mome: instead of cake, please accept these non-heretical c**kies.
Based on mscha frame 35
That's cookieish. That's right, no asterisks required.

Exodies wrote:So who died?
I don't know. No one, I hope.

macraw83 wrote:To be fair, I don't think I was ever taught anything about Serbia, Albania, or Romania in grade-school history, and only a scant amount about Mexico, Canada, and Latin America, all of which came in high school. Egypt and Rome (and later Western Europe) are probably pretty popular topics to cover in history classes worldwide. I probably even learned more about China and Japan than America's neighbors, at least before 11th grade when I took IB History of the Americas (which is far from standard curriculum in America).
Hmm, yeah, we never really learned about Mexico itself except where it was important to the history of the US. I guess it is a self-centered history of the world. Supposedly places like Egypt and Rome were important because they are cradles of civilization. We get to learn their whole history because they came and went before anything else important replaced them.

AluisioASG wrote:And welcome back, azule's avatar.
Thanks. It was there, btw...just, dark.

Link wrote:AUTOMOME
Neat-o.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:So, hi guys! :D
Hi, xude. ;) (Are we taking this too far, xuys?)

TheMinim wrote:A comic very much altered by TheMinim.
Very. ;)

TheMinim wrote:Image
Well done.

TheMinim wrote:Image
I saw that before in looking for comics to ottify...didn't even know it was possible. hehe.

AluisioASG wrote:Also, I think I'm actually grateful to the mods for not splitting us long ago. Yes, it's against the forum rules, but… for some of us, it is the real meaning of that browser button shaped as a house.
I'm grateful, too.

Maugrim

Re: Time, Mr Freeman?

Postby Maugrim » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 pm UTC

ergman wrote:*warpedit*
Hi gingercat! time travel is fun! This is my firstpost, which only blitzers have ever seen, pretty much. Now a days people throw firstposts forward, but that never happened to my old one here. Have fun on your blitz gingercat, and all other blitzers after you. we're waiting for you in the present now.

This thread is just as weird as I remember it.

I admit, I stopped blitzing months ago, when nearing page 500. Now I've started again. Why? Because I happened to come to the forum to check the (otherwise frankly disappointing) thread for #1350, and saw the sigcouragement from a certain "Earthling on Mars". Which is an image, so I can't quote it, but still...

They remember me! I made one post and disappeared into the ether, yet still they remember me! :cry:

I'm on my way again. See you in the future, guys... I hope.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:24 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't blame the mods for not nipping the OTT in the bud, because page 15 had begun only 24 hours after the thread was posted. The posting rate at that Time was around 23 posts per hourH. For comparison, current posting rate is about 6 posts per hourH. The early thread was probably very difficult to keep up with.

It occurs to me, if a "just about the comic" thread was wanted, we could create it, with the help of the replay viewer and a bot or two.

Start a new Time thread.
Have the bot post picture one.
Have the bot wait for comments on that picture.
Have the bot post picture two.
Repeat for all pictures.

Waiting for comments would need some definition.
Examples:
1. Wait for at least one comment, no matter how long.
2. Wait for 1 newpix, regardless of comments. (Probably get doubleposting)
3. Wait until commenting dies down. (So if there is some discussion going, it doesn't get interrupted, and each frame can be thoroughly discussed.)
4. ...

I know especially in the early days there was some complaining that people wanted a place to discuss the comic, but I think things such as the astronomy and language discussions proved that when there was something to discuss we did, with much less chit-chat. The chit-chat was pretty much an unavoidable effect of waiting 30 minutes for a single darkening pixel. In the early days we didn't have a bot to post the new picture, so someone had to be standing by to post it, and asking them to wait completely silently doesn't seem reasonable. I think some of the things that are most off-putting to me were from attempts to stay on-topic. (That and probably serious sleep deprivation. (That's not sand ...) We had too much time to speculate, and things got weird.

Not really meant as a serious suggestion, and definitely not one to be done without the mods wanting it, but, if there is a need for a pure comic thread it can happen. Not quite the same as if it had happened from the beginning, but I really do think the comic needed an audience, and part of how that worked was for us to talk to each other. It is sort of too bad that we can't be moved to a more appropriate place now, but I really think that how things played out was mostly for the best.

I don't know if there are ways to change settings so those that want notifications get them, except from this thread. That seemed to be a common complaint, not that we're so chatty, exactly, but that folks would get excited that there was something new, and oh, it's just Time.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:BTW, PMs were also filtered, which makes the task of PMing (SwiftKey wants to turn that into Pringles) mods a bit technical.

Psst, I have a trick that can help you if you really seriously need to avoid a filter in a PM or some such.

I found the tricks to avoid them to not make things actually easier.
I do wish PMs were unfiltered, don't know if they aren't because it is impossible, or to keep people from just PMing to avoid the madness (Or, likely, some combination.) And, if the response comes back filtered, or illegible to avoid filters, not much is saved.
The image of the unfiltered announcement wasn't particularly legible to me either, but it is probably all that can be done.

No idea what would be possible/make sense, but it might be interesting to hide something in the announcement that gives instructions to do some subtle thing, and doing that thing gives some reward. (No idea what would be fun, or what would be possible, or if there is any overlap in there.)

Link wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful, Link! Thanks for the update!

CEILING DOOM BANANA IS WATCHING YOU CHIRP

:shock: That can't be good...

Scary!

So¹, re. the "Time thread vs. rest of the fora" debate. This is mostly addressed to OTTers who rarely or never venture outside of the Time thread, but others may find it useful as well.
I've obviously been on the fora for a long time before discovering this thread in all its glory, and I must say they're among the nicest places on the internet.

I am very glad the Madness discussion thread happened. More non-Time users posting there would be good, so if you want to point it out in the rest of the fora, please do.

Maugrim wrote:They remember me! I made one post and disappeared into the ether, yet still they remember me! :cry:

I'm on my way again. See you in the future, guys... I hope.

Of course we do. Randalspeed!

Edit to add the missing word.
Last edited by SBN on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0825

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

SMATTERONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0825

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SMATTERONGLY...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Is that a timebomb in the tree?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”