1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Baobabs, seaish and treeish!

ETA: Oh.

Optional decree:
Seas and trees!
Bring these!
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 pm UTC

Will this do for mapal fiat:
Spoiler:
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Lurk Madness 2014

Postby SBN » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Aye, that's like me too. The other forums I frequent are very small compared to this place (usually related to some metal band) and are small enough to have a close-knit single community feel throughout the whole place. Everyone knows everyone, and most people post in every section as there aren't an overwhelming number of sections like there are here. That's just what I'm used to, and what I enjoy and look for in an internet community. I might be wrong, but I don't get much of a close-knit single-community-where-everyone-knows-each-other vibe from the rest of the xkcd fora, which is why the OTT appeals to me a lot more. I tend not to be attracted to big, sprawling, busy internet communities (that are like big cities) but more the quaint little ones (like small villages). I don't think I should be considered weird for preferring that sort of community. It's like, I'm the sort of person who would rather celebrate my birthday by going for drinks with a few best friends, rather than a huge party with everyone I know. S'just who I am. Doesn't mean I'll never poke about outside this thread, but it's why I haven't done much.

I disagree. Or, rather, I do not have the same experience.
<snip>

Spoilered for rambling like whoa. I don't even remember the point I was trying to get at anymore. At any rate, if all you want is to hang out in here - that's fine. Go nuts. No one's going to stop you.

We just happen to think the rest of the place is pretty swell.

I think the city analogy holds, with maybe a bit of regionalism thrown in. Where I live now, no matter how much I like it, I am never going to completely fit in. As soon as I open my mouth, they know I'm not from around here. There's no real hostility, I'm just, not from here. I sort of feel the same way when I do venture into other areas of the fora. They just have to look at my Join date, not even my sig, and "Oh, it's an OTTer." Not hostile (usually), just 'other'. Could I over come that? Sure. Have I found other places it was worth it to me to go through the effort? No. I do feel vaguely bad for anyone that joined last March for non-Time reasons.

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

waveney wrote:New What-If

Spoiler:

Fixed link for you.

GLR wrote:But it also wouldn't make sense for there to be substantially more axes than people, if for no other reason than that humans can only really use one axe at a time.

Edit for pope (spoiler for seaish):

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time Revisited - np352

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

EXPECTUNGLY...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:I WILL NOT OTTCOLORISE THIS RAFTCASTLE -- IT IS DUNEISH

-- posted by oldpixbot

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:22 pm UTC

Since I happened to look in this thread amidst discussions in the S/FI one: In terms of having off-topic discussions here that could be in more on-topic threads elsewhere on the forum, there's a whole place for what-if conversation...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

Yeah, I've posted in there in occasion. But if I came in to the What-if thread and said, "Baobabs, seaish and treeish!" that would probably constitute being OTTery in an otherthread, which people don't like.

We've noted the posting of othercomics and What-ifs in this thread ever since Time began, but the discussion of them here is usually limited to how they relate to Time, or how we could make them even more RELATED, which doesn't belong in the usual what-if conversations.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

I checked NP15 recently, just to see what could've been considered off-topic... not much, really.

The problem is, most of the discussion was on-topic, at least early on. ONGs? On-topic. MMONS? On-topic. Semencoffeesea? On-topic. Religion? Okay, maybe not on-topic, but doesn't really have any other place, and short of splitting it to a separate thread and posting a link here any attempt to crack down on it would be breaking a community.
Any actual off-topic discussions either lasted a longpix or two at most, or came so late that there already was an existing community. (Unless you want to say that whatever was going on as of NP100 or so wasn't a community.)

On getting integrated: I personally already have more integration that I'd ever need at AH.com and CCF (and there are still crowds I don't really fit in at the former).
I actually originally intended to join the XKCD forums for various "tumbleweedish" comments (particularly What-If, since they're kind of the main theme of AH.com). I just got distracted by this new long discussion in the OTT (and I'm talking like 3 or 4 pages long here - I found it pretty early), and didn't join until I felt I could actually join the OTT... which happened much, much later.
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 pm UTC

SBN wrote:...They just have to look at my Join date, not even my sig, and "Oh, it's an OTTer."...

I think you're giving people's observation skills and deductive abilities waaaayyyyy too much credit.

Or to paraphrase a great line in a terrible movie -

"The day the Time comic started was the greatest day in your forum life, but for us... it was a Monday"

The only way a person is going to know you're an OTTer without digging in your post history is if your sig directly reflects it, your speech mannerisms directly reflect it, or you say that's where you got started.

Well, that, or the person seeing the hypothetical Timer in question with 400+ posts and thinking "Why does this person I've never seen before in my life have 400 posts to my 300?" (Heck, case in point - taixzo. 911 posts. I don't recall seeing taixzo before. WHO ARE YOU?! And a smiley face to show I'm kidding around :) )

The join date isn't a factor.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

Sacry Woman with Axes!
What is she doing in Time??

Will she hurt the Mopies?
I was stumbling into Time to chatter about what I did while the xkcd Forum had an Accent.

uuumm. That Woman has Axes and she might want to speak first.
The Seaish Photo looked like a place where I could explain.

Nothing much to explain.
I read a book. Part of a Book.

While the Forum was playing a housekeeping game,
I followed the instructions of a Poster on the Forum.

That Poster wrote, "Read a Fucking Book."
Seemed like sound advice to me.

Spoiler:
What am I reading Now?
So, funny.

The xkcd Forum was acting funny.
It had developed an Accent.

In one of the Threads one of the Posters suggested,
Read a Fucking Book. So; I started reading a book.

I am reading a book that was published first published in 1970.
It is entertaining reading. It is a book written by a professional for professionals.

Title: The Theory and Practice of GROUP PsychoTherapy,
by Dr. Irvin D Yalom. (funny stuff, children.)

http://www.yalom.com
Goodness! How old is that guy?
He was Born in 1931.

The book was First published in 1970.
Second published in 1975.
Third published in 1985.

It is still funny stuff.
Some of it is Enlightening.

Some is Reassuring.
Some is, just, Damn Funny.

If this author had been ‘In On’ the writing of the DSM,
Boring would be a Mental Health Dx with a high responsibility to Treat.

Dr. Yalom suffered in the presence of Boring Patients.
As I read his descriptions of the Boring Patient, I see myself.

So, funny.
That’s! Why people don’t like me!
I am Boring! So, funny.

You might be Boring, too.
If history had unfolded differently,
We might be in Group Therapy together with a Mission Statement.

Orders from Above:
!Do Not Be Boring!

He quoted one Patient, “I have just set the world’s ingratiation record,”
“Last night I received an obscene phone call and I apologized to the Man.”

“I am sorry.” She said, "You must have the wrong number.”
This book had me Laughing Out Loud.

I would love to share it.
Only Boring people would think it’s funny.

Normal people are Pissed Off by us.
This book says so!

I had to go take an extra class, one time.

They told me to.
I did what I was told to do.

The class was Assertiveness Training.
That class helped me learn to talk to other people, enough for them to find out what I think.

That was a Fucked Up thing to do to me.
Life was Better, for me, when No One Knew what I thought, except me.

I think.
I think the First World Problems the United States faced last Century were luxuries.
Our common State of Being is not as good today as it was in the 1970's and 1980's.

Our Common Song was still innocent thirty years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ce-2F7C74M

Spoiler:
I have a weird life.
I posted that without being able to hear it.

I have lost the super power of youtube.

I hope a sweet song finds you well.
Who are You?

A group of strangers.
Me, too; It seems.

No. That can not be correct.
I am only me. I am not a group.

You, Time, are a cultural and physical group. right?
I am only me. Not like Seven. She was One of Seven.

I am one of one. I wondered when I watched Star Trek, 'What is the emotional payoff?"
Seven in StarTrek may have been a story of Class Distinctions.

What? Everyone knows that?
I am late to the Party?

I am sure glad I got that Government Education while they were handing them out to anyone that wanted one.

It gives me something to think about.
Freudian Psychology is funny stuff, too.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

For pope: http://ergman.deviantart.com/art/Wrong-Colors-435510837

WHOAH Addams! Seaish! Addams is the king of off topic beauty.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

That is both seaish and treeish, addams! How fitting.

Also, wingish art, ergman! Image

For decree, from the Mediterranean:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

In frame 2664 we have the second Beanish sentence, ᔪᖆᓄᐧ ᔪ, ᒣᖉ ᖊᐣᖽ ᖽᘛᕋᑦᐤ The context is that, after the first sentence not understood by Megan and Cueball, the second Beanie points to Megan’s leg, previously injured during a keyboard attack, probably asking what happened or if they can help (and, in fact, Megan will show them her leg in the following frames).

This is one of the most cryptic sentences in our corpus. We know it is a question, as it ends with question mark ᐤ and there are two ᔪ (“na”), which have established to be common in questions. The only word which is not an hapax is the last one, ᖽᘛᕋᑦ (“ʤazaro”), used, probably by the same Beanie, in frame 2866 when our heroes are presented to Rosetta with a two-word sentence. The word has the ᘛ (“za”) syllable which may or may not be related to verbs of movement; it could be a noun derived from it (“thing-that-make-you-move”, i.e., “leg”). Given its length, its double occurrence and the fact that it is used in two different situations, one of them along with the extremely complex word ᖉᔭᒣᘊᐣᘖᑫᖗ (“fagaʧapebaθaʃa”), the best guess is to consider it, using the terminology of English grammar, an open class, in order of probability a noun, a verb or an adverb.

The other words are even more difficult. If what we assume to be the role of the prefix ᔪ- (“na-”) is correct, we have a base word *ᖆᓄᐧ (“dava”), whose closest match is ᖆᓄᘈᖉᐣ (“davesafe”) in frame 2821, usually taken as the name of the Beanie city and which I proposed that might be a compound word *ᖆᓄ + *ᘈᖉᐣ (considering it is similar to ᘖᓄᘈᖉᐣ in frame 2906, another toponym), but there is no clear indication of that. If it works like ᕒᖚᐧ in frame 2663, the most obvious translation is a word like “what” (or “who”, as Beanish can very well distinguish between animate and inanimate beings, instead of human and non human).

Not much can be said about ᔪ, (“daj”), ᒣᖉ (“ʧafa”) and ᖊᐣᖽ (“ðeʤa”). The first is too short and similar to the ᔪ- prefix and, as per Zipf’s Law, would likely be a common semantic trait; the second has the ᖉ (“fa”) syllable that could mean “good, well, normal, happy” (similar to Ancient Greek “eu-”), but unfortunately we cannot state much (I’d love to say that ᒣ- is a negation prefix, like “mal-” in Esperanto, making but ᒣᖉ a “no good, not well” ["malbona" in Esperanto], but there is absolutely nothing to support that); the third word is completely opaque, the closest match being the common ᖆᐣᖽ (“deʤa”) which probably means “to/at/in/into” — but to think that the fist is a “motion to place” and this a “motion in place” is… just not good.

The most accepted translations are “What happened to your leg?”, “Are you injured?”, “Were you attacked?/What attacked you?” and “Could you show me/us your leg?”. They all seem likely probable, especially because there is no other sentence whose translation we can safely assume has “you(r)” (in the singular — why did you English speakers had to drop ‘thou’?), be it a word or a glyph.

I really don’t know. What are your best guesses about the meaning of the sentence and of each of its words? Any breakthrough?
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:
tresoldi wrote: I hope it is not a problem to x-post it here

If course it's not you silly molpy, this is as on-topic as it gets. Treeish to see your still getting somewhere!

I would warn against the use of the word "we" when having OTT/fora discussions. We're not a hive mind. (At least, some of us aren't)

Those of us without a safety hat, at least.

SecondTalon wrote:
SBN wrote:...They just have to look at my Join date, not even my sig, and "Oh, it's an OTTer."...

I think you're giving people's observation skills and deductive abilities waaaayyyyy too much credit.

"The day the Time comic started was the greatest day in your forum life, but for us... it was a Monday"

The only way a person is going to know you're an OTTer without digging in your post history is if your sig directly reflects it, your speech mannerisms directly reflect it, or you say that's where you got started.

Well, that, or the person seeing the hypothetical Timer in question with 400+ posts and thinking "Why does this person I've never seen before in my life have 400 posts to my 300?" (Heck, case in point - taixzo. 911 posts. I don't recall seeing taixzo before. WHO ARE YOU?! And a smiley face to show I'm kidding around :) )

Oh, right. I actually registered about a year before Time, because I saw a different thread and wanted to make a comment on it. By the time I had finished registering though, I decided my comment didn't actually need posting (I think it was something to do with the PC/Mac debate) and sort of forgot these forums existed until someone mentioned to me that "Time" had more frames than there were other XKCD comics.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Aye, that's like me too. The other forums I frequent are very small compared to this place (usually related to some metal band) and are small enough to have a close-knit single community feel throughout the whole place. Everyone knows everyone, and most people post in every section as there aren't an overwhelming number of sections like there are here. That's just what I'm used to, and what I enjoy and look for in an internet community. I might be wrong, but I don't get much of a close-knit single-community-where-everyone-knows-each-other vibe from the rest of the xkcd fora, which is why the OTT appeals to me a lot more. I tend not to be attracted to big, sprawling, busy internet communities (that are like big cities) but more the quaint little ones (like small villages). I don't think I should be considered weird for preferring that sort of community. It's like, I'm the sort of person who would rather celebrate my birthday by going for drinks with a few best friends, rather than a huge party with everyone I know. S'just who I am. Doesn't mean I'll never poke about outside this thread, but it's why I haven't done much.

I disagree. Or, rather, I do not have the same experience.
<snip>

Spoilered for rambling like whoa. I don't even remember the point I was trying to get at anymore. At any rate, if all you want is to hang out in here - that's fine. Go nuts. No one's going to stop you.

We just happen to think the rest of the place is pretty swell.

I think the city analogy holds, with maybe a bit of regionalism thrown in. Where I live now, no matter how much I like it, I am never going to completely fit in. As soon as I open my mouth, they know I'm not from around here. There's no real hostility, I'm just, not from here. I sort of feel the same way when I do venture into other areas of the fora. They just have to look at my Join date, not even my sig, and "Oh, it's an OTTer." Not hostile (usually), just 'other'. Could I over come that? Sure. Have I found other places it was worth it to me to go through the effort? No. I do feel vaguely bad for anyone that joined last March for non-Time reasons.

The visual is so beautiful.
If you do not like the conversation,
Then there is no reason to join the conversation.

Your date has nothing to do with how Posters will respond to you.
In much of this Forum Dr. Kings dream has come true.

A person is judged by the content of their character,
Not by the color of their identifying graphic or join date.

Most of the xkcd Forum is in English.
Beanish words creep in the way French words creep in.

We can discuss ourselves, each other, the world around us as it is, as it was and as it could be.
That is fun, too.

Do you like Science?
Do you like Math?

I am not going to ask the Sex question.
If you say, "Yes." You will be directed to Threads full of Sex that either did or did not happen.
If you say, "No." The entire Forum will answer in unison, "Liar."

Do you like Sex? is an unfair question.
Do you like Green Hair on Old Ladies?
That's a fair question.

Have you ever seen Green Hair on Old Ladies?
I thought not.

Old Ladies don't like it.
They Police for it.

Green Hair on Old Ladies is rare.
Have you ever noticed that?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0827

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

AVAILONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

Cueball HIDUNG:

Image Some replies to tresoldi:

tresoldi wrote:In frame 2664 we have the second Beanish sentence, ᔪᖆᓄᐧ ᔪ, ᒣᖉ ᖊᐣᖽ ᖽᘛᕋᑦᐤ

You might want to note for the OTT that you're using the Geekwagon numbering system for the frames.

tresoldi wrote:The only word which is not an hapax is the last one, ᖽᘛᕋᑦ (“ʤazaro”), used, probably by the same Beanie, in frame 2866 when our heroes are presented to Rosetta with a two-word sentence.

Yes, it is used by the same "leader" Beanie, Beanie-2, in that newpix.

tresoldi wrote:...we have a base word *ᖆᓄᐧ (“dava”), whose closest match is ᖆᓄᘈᖉᐣ (“davesafe”) in frame 2821, usually taken as the name of the Beanie city and which I proposed that might be a compound word *ᖆᓄ + *ᘈᖉᐣ (considering it is similar to ᘖᓄᘈᖉᐣ in frame 2906, another toponym)

Kind of a tangent, not sure if you've seen this; the gate of the city has a ᘖ on it:
Spoiler:
tresoldi wrote:The most accepted translations are “What happened to your leg?”, “Are you injured?”, “Were you attacked?/What attacked you?” and “Could you show me/us your leg?”.

I'm inclined to think the first of these, but that's a sheer guess based on OTC context.

For decree:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

I have a post on the Beanish thread. It is located here ---> azule's Beanish ramblings.

Should I be posting that here too/instead?

Well, I think, maybe when I have a more well formed post I may just do that.

BlitzGirl wrote:Kind of a tangent, not sure if you've seen this; the gate of the city has a ᘖ on it

tresoldi wrote:The most accepted translations are “What happened to your leg?”, “Are you injured?”, “Were you attacked?/What attacked you?” and “Could you show me/us your leg?”.

I'm inclined to think the first of these, but that's a sheer guess based on OTC context.
I note that in my post, the city gate.
I don't see it. Seems like, to me that they don't know anything about her injury by frame (m)2659. I think the Beanie does talk about her leg/injury by frame (m) 2666.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

I see "What happened to your leg" as a reasonable question, firefox, "Why do you have a bandage on your leg?" because Megan already mentioned she was bleeding through the flag-bandage back by the raptorcat hut. I think the injury (or at least, the bandage) would be pretty noticable. In response to Beanie-2's query, Megan removes the bandage so they can see exactly what did happen to her leg.

For decree:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 pm UTC

@ST:
Thanks for your summary of the fora. I might genuinely start checking a few areas out, now that I have some direction.

And no worries about the rambling. As I'm sure you know, that's not exactly rare in the OTT.

Wowterful writing, addams! I am glad that our travelling poet seems to be stopping by more and more.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 pm UTC

Ah, BlitzGirl, BlitzGirl…
Spoiler:
The cake is a lie hat.
Boa cakes are particularly hard to find.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I see "What happened to your leg" as a reasonable question, firefox, "Why do you have a bandage on your leg?" because Megan already mentioned she was bleeding through the flag-bandage back by the raptorcat hut. I think the injury (or at least, the bandage) would be pretty noticable. In response to Beanie-2's query, Megan removes the bandage so they can see exactly what did happen to her leg.

Except that the first time their eyeline is that low is only at np2661. To assume they'd notice the bandage or care is assuming they don't think that's not some sort of fashion choice (like their beanies) or that they're examining these strangers for things to fix. When I meet a new person I would probably notice things about them starting at the head, but really wouldn't be looking for things where I wasn't directly interacting (like shaking someone's hand and therefore seeing a bandage on their finger). Anyways, Beanie-2 continues to look down for np2662, and then they stop looking on np2663 when they are taking action to help her.

I know this goes against convention, but I've been examining it and I just don't see it. I think we wanted that kind of stuff to be said and thought when it was live, but in context...it looks different.

Edit: I think, seeing that they know just the right action to take on np2663, if they had noticed the bandage and blood, wouldn't they have taken action sooner rather than standing around with confused looks? They should have acted the same, full of action.
Last edited by azule on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I have diagnozed the problems that @ergman and @NoMouse were having trying to get "We Love BANA-na-Yada" to work in their setups (one had Opera, and other had Chrome). The script stopped working because I added options checkboxes, and it was using a GreaseMonkey-only method of remembering the settings.

If you were unable to get the script to work, try it again now. here is the link.

The actual functionality is still the same, so there is no reason to update if it was already working for you.

Thanks very much! Works like charm now.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

ALL YOUR CAKE ARE BELONG TO UNG
frame M#355

Cueball shifted that block of sand over about 0.08 q. I wonder what he's making... I hope it's recursive ;)

Happy 5700, @BlitzGirl!

BlitzGirl wrote: I see "What happened to your leg" as a reasonable question, firefox, "Why do you have a bandage on your leg?" because Megan already mentioned she was bleeding through the flag-bandage back by the raptorcat hut.

Without getting too gross and disgusting about it, I think it's reasonable to believe that ᔪᖆᓄᐧ ᔪ, ᒣᖉ ᖊᐣᖽ ᖽᘛᕋᑦᐤ (Image) is any of the four alternatives @tresoldi suggested.

yappobiscuits wrote: I tend not to be attracted to big, sprawling, busy internet communities (that are like big cities) but more the quaint little ones (like small villages). I don't think I should be considered weird for preferring that sort of community.

My recent query about [safespace] in the Madness aftermath thread reminded me of my experiences in the various LGBTIQQA(A) communities when I was younger. I learned that when a group withdraws into their own isolation, it's a lot of fun and much more supportive than trying to be part of the larger society, but eventually integration into the culture is the best way to take it.

Also from the Madness aftermath thread, and relevant to the MysteryONGs, and the OTA Randall Munroe, and filling in the context of his work on the OTC:

Belial wrote:
rvloon wrote: ... (assuming those producing Time After Time stories are not Randall himself) ...

I was there for the earth-shattering sigh of relief that came with his completion of Time1. I can basically promise you this isn't happening.
  1: Also the month-long cocooned hibernation that followed. Randy is a horse-sized venomous moth with six moaning human faces now. It's weird, but he's still p cool.

And I just saw this while composing the above:

NoMouse wrote: Thanks very much! Works like charm now.

Brilliant! I'll be upgrading the rest of the scripts then, incorporating the same changes to remove GreaseMonkey dependence.

— mrob27 Image

(Edits: RHTF fails, typos, @NoMouse response)
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

In M2659, Beanie-2 is pointing in the general direction of Megan's leg. While I agree that he might not be looking directly at it, the Beanies probably noticed that Megan was limping when they walked towards them in the previous frames, so in combination with a blood-sodden bandage, IMHO it should be pretty obvious that something's wrong with her leg.
tresoldi, thanks for your continued effort to decipher Beanish!

Various replies:
Treeish sandcastle10, SBN!
Hi, AnotherKevin! It's molpish to see you again!

For decree:
Spoiler:
Maybe the Gibraltar Dam was destroyed by growing tree roots?

Edit: typos
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I don't really notice join dates or sigs, personally, and tend to notice only the color schemen of avatars unless/until a poster says something that makes me pay attention to those things. For OTTers, that usually entails breaking out the jargon that is literally meaningless to anyone who hasn't followed the Time thread.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Just a heads up, but I'm going to be publishing this thread on Amazon. I think it could be an underground cult hit.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 pm UTC

*peeks head from basement*

Are we done with the ridiculous "us vs. them" way-over-done & drawn-out discussion? Nope?

Don't click this spoiler if you're easily butthurt:
Spoiler:
The mods/Madness never ruined anything for me. It was the OTTers complaining about the Madness that have ruined my desire to read this thread right now. FFS, get over it. If you aren't happy w/ what the mods are doing, join a different forum. They're easily the most understanding/forgiving/chill mods I've ever come across. I love you OTTers. You're my internet-fam... but I am so disappointed in you right now.

*rebasements*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

<A rescinded comment about Beanish> (I typed out a paragraph questioning the efforts, then realized it wasn't constructive in the slightest)

Re: integration: I think Time, mostly is the biggest barrier for me. I try to keep up with this thread but even with just this thread I end up sacrificing some time that I could be spending on Outside activities like schoolwork, or slow-moving personal projects. It's easy to say we're a creative bunch, and I have certainly contributed my fair share to that, but if we spread out we might lose some of that just through the sheer expense of time. Not to say that I won't try; but this thread will almost certainly remain my top priority when I visit these fora.

Re: Seaish trees:

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I don't really notice join dates or sigs, personally, and tend to notice only the color schemen of avatars unless/until a poster says something that makes me pay attention to those things. For OTTers, that usually entails breaking out the jargon that is literally meaningless to anyone who hasn't followed the Time thread.

Oh, nothing too inside, for instance SBN has a seaish wolpy. Your thwap-stance is like a tree (if that's what that is?). Mine is Fadish.
Spoiler:
I think I sufficiently proved his point! :lol:
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Beacon Indigo
Spoiler:
Checking in from Beacon Indigo. (NP1855)

The S/FI thread has given me a greater appreciation for the hard work the mods do, and I can kinda see their point of view now. Still can't agree with everything, but I can see their point of view.

@azule - Aw, Zanclean Zodiac has ended. Good work; I enjoyed it.

Responding to a discussion in the present: As an OTTer who has ventured out to other parts of the fora (mainly Forum Games, also lurked some in the Science and Coding sections), I say yeah, check the rest of the fora out. They're not bad places. I know I kind of said otherwise the other day... that was in a fit of anger; ignore what I said then.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote: Just a heads up, but I'm going to be publishing this thread on Amazon. I think it could be an underground cult hit.

:D I'm not sure our babblings have been nearly as focused as, say, Repo Man or Rocky Horror, or even the Flying Spaghetti Monster folks or the modern Discordians (to pick two wacky religious groups that are far more serious about it than we ever were). But hey, the OTT culture hooked me so who am I to judge?
  At any rate, you'll have to go with Kindle digital-only. With over 4 million words (giving Nth-level quotes only 4-N as much weight), this thread is already bigger than the Mahabharata plus all 7 books of Harry Potter, and you'd use lots of pages for illustrations.

Temporal Edit
Attention All Blitzers
Be the first to experience a new Time-themed amusement park
and resort, presently under development at an undisclosed location.
Your participation will help improve the experience that
our ImaginOTTifactors are designing for this unprecedented landmark
tourist attraction. If you are interested and have a free wip
or two during the summer (Tribulation through Deliverance, 2 A.T.),
reply by PM to Mrorl or Balthacarius before Newpix 19291.
— Meditemporaneous Holdings, L.L.C., np18525
Last edited by mrob27 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:38 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:In M2659, Beanie-2 is pointing in the general direction of Megan's leg. While I agree that he might not be looking directly at it, the Beanies probably noticed that Megan was limping when they walked towards them in the previous frames, so in combination with a blood-sodden bandage, IMHO it should be pretty obvious that something's wrong with her leg.
I understand that interpretation, but, couldn't it also be that Beanie-2 is more gesticular and is vaguely pointing in the direction of the strangers as xe talks? Also I'd like to point out my edit:
azule wrote:Edit: I think, seeing that they know just the right action to take on np2663, if they had noticed the bandage and blood, wouldn't they have taken action sooner (after 2659) rather than standing around with confused looks? They should have acted the same, full of action.

On the sadness not ending:
Spoiler:
I think, the general consensus amongst us OTTers is to quell the discussion, but I think we're mostly responding to mods now. I get it, a little bit, but that is partly why I tried to start another discussion thread, or there's always the S/FI thread...I think it would be super nice to limit it to these other places. But oh well.

Edit: grammar/words.
Last edited by azule on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 pm UTC

It's safe to come out Valrya, everything is cool now! Look, we even got a publishing deal:

Mighty Jalapeno wrote: Just a heads up, but I'm going to be publishing this thread on Amazon. I think it could be an underground cult hit.

the new version of the script works mrob! good job!

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Link

Re: Time Revisited - np349

Postby Link » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 pm UTC

It's waaay past molpy down time for me considering I have an early class, but baobabs, there's so much I feel I have to respond to! I'll try to keep it riverish for my own sake...

macraw83 wrote:I may have missed being ninja'd on this, but it makes me happy that Oldpixbot has been modified to add an AUTOMOME feature, for two reasons: a) they're insane amounts of fun, and b) it means that either mscha is still lurking in the OTT or Oldpixbot has gained sentience with a primary goal of acceptance through humor. Assuming the first option, come back, mscha, we miss you!

I really think it's beyond awesomeful that it's turned out to be such a hit, and I'm honoured that it's been added to Oldpixbot! Rest assured there will be new updates coming soon (probably this wipend); I'm working on a major refactoring of the code (developing a spur-of-the-moment idea in three dips with zero planning leads to rather... unsteakish code). With it comes some reshuffling of memes and probabilities, and I also have some new vocabulary planned.

I definitely agree with SecondTalon. While the rest of the fora may be overwhelming, there is definitely a tightly knit community. Yes, it's bigger and (even) less organised than the OTT, but people still know one another. And as for feeling like you'll be viewed as "an OTTer", I've found that the rest of the fora are really good at not thinking in terms of labels. Just like I was accepted as an OTTer the moment I poked my head in here, the rest of the fora (and FaiD in particular, in my experience), tend to quickly accept someone as an xkcd-ite, regardless of background. Really, there are lots of people with lots of different backgrounds, and it doesn't matter at all; the community is tight-knit despite that, or maybe even because of that. And those who single out people for the other groups they happen to belong to, well, they tend not to become part of the community, because that is the thing xkcd-ites tend to fight against. So as an xkcd-ite, I really want to stress that the door is open for anyone. If you want to come in, most of us will welcome you with open arms -- and if you don't want to come in, please don't feel like you have to.

There was more I was going to say, but I can't even remember it right now, and I'm in desperate need of coma. So basically,
mscha wrote:Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np356

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

TUFTUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:YAPPOCISED SQUIRPIES ARE SUPERIOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 pm UTC

Thanks for the cakes, Aluisio! Image

Valarya wrote:Are we done with the ridiculous "us vs. them" way-over-done & drawn-out discussion? Nope?

This is the OTT. We have drawn out discussions about everything. :P
Spoilered because S**ness:
Spoiler:
I don't know about anyone else, but the psychological jolt of having the OTT locked hasn't faded yet for me; it's only been a few days. It's probably very different if you didn't experience that live, or aren't used to checking the OTT frequently at that Time of day, like I was. A summary doesn't adequately cover the feeling at the Time. Also, current OTT conversation is no longer really about whether or not the mods should have locked it; they've agreed it was a step too far and apologized. Now meta-conversation is more about how OTTers feel about the rest of the fora at large, etc. Maybe if you kept up a bit more you'd be less disappointed. :wink:

ETA for decree:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

well, I was going to upload the recording I did of that OTTification, but apparently iPhones save sound as a file type that everything refuses, and when I convert it its too big for everyone. It was quite steambottlish anyway, and not worth the effort of salvaging. just letting y'all know what happened with that.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:04 am UTC

Aw, that's too bad, ergman.
Oh well, we'll just Wait for the next molpish ottification! :)

Column one UNGassembled:

For decree, RELATED Drawhotdog:
Spoiler:

Blitz game. Link.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:13 am UTC

Treeish drawhtdog, BlitzGirl!

*runs!*
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”