Madness discussion

Need the mods or admins to do something for you? Post here. Read the "About" post first.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: Madness discussion

Postby azule » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 am UTC

Azrael wrote:See, there's you saying "ketchup" earlier. Whatever. Pretty much no one gives a shit (I'm sure someone does, but they don't matter).

Then there's you doing this in a Global Announcement.

Back to Wibbly's analogy of the guy who is annoying because he's constantly quoting Monty Pyton? Guess which side of the line that second post falls on.
I didn't know it was strict that I shouldn't have done that. Sorry if that is true. Otherwise, it appeared to be lighthearted in nature. I actually thought about deleting the post (for reasons) but thought it wouldn't let me. Anyways, maybe you're saying I did it much worse than I'm pointing out. I agree. I wasn't comparing severity, just that it happens in terms of one party being clueless to another party's references. "Burn the cheese" I never understood, but I think it is a previous madness thing. But if I cared I'd ask. I would not be annoyed that people were talking that way.

I hope this doesn't continue anything else. Sorry if so. I'll keep my nose out now. Like others have said, thanks for moderating the forums in a moderate fashion. Not noticing much what you're doing means you're probably doing it right. So thanks.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 am UTC

I feel like the forum thinks I drink a lot more than I actually do and I am pretty okay with it
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 am UTC

Certainly better than the other way around.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:36 am UTC

Man, I just did some math... While it's not accurate as I didn't factor in all the days, just 365... The time thread's averaging 8.5 replies every hour.

or 5 pages a day.

That's not factoring in the slowdown after it ended either.

That's just... Wow. In one year it almost beat the Fleeting Thoughts thread that's been here for seven years,

And that's how people not involved didn't realize what was going on until it was too late to change the course.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:11 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Man, I just did some math... While it's not accurate as I didn't factor in all the days, just 365... The time thread's averaging 8.5 replies every hour.

Um, sorry?
(And thanks, of course.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Until, of course, people start speaking as though the other thread is an extension of the Time thread, which as far as I can tell is actually the only thing that really bothers anyone.

If I can be frank (who's Frank?):

I find that to be super annoying. I'm only about 30% sure why.

It's probably because they're from ICT.
SecondTalon wrote:Belial and he were roommates at one point. If the user's join date is pre-2008 and they live in the Boston area, they've met Randall multiple times. If it's post 2008, they've.. probably met Randall multiple times. I think I'm one of the few US based moderators who hasn't met Randall.

So, yeah, semi-deifying a guy a small chunk of the modstaff and userbase knows personally is... weird. Particularly as they likely know his off-internet commentary about the Forum and internet as a whole and, out of respect, are keeping it to themselves.

Hell, I've hung out with him a few times, and I live on the opposite side of the planet.
BlitzGirl wrote:It feels strange (to me at least, perhaps to other OTTers as well) that these outside discussions keep snagging on the "religion" when that parody faded away for us about thirteen hundred pages ago or so. Which was...last May. The thread's generally moved on, just like when the footnote craze dwindled. Perhaps it's because the last time many people engaged with the thread, that was in full swing? A lot has happened since then. Artifacts still exist, like in the oldest slang and in page traditions, but that's about it. Most of the current regulars weren't even around for the height of the parody.

Most of the outside discussions are talking about the subtle similarities between the Time thread and various cults.
Bakemaster wrote:WOAH THIS THREAD MOVES FAST when's the last time S/FI had this much action, daaaaaaang.

yappobiscuits wrote:I've never seen any positivity towards the OTT outside of the thread itself, only (aside from the few negative comments) indifference and neutrality. I mean, sure you could say it's our fault we're seen that way for being the way we are, but you still can't tell us we shouldn't feel disliked/unwelcome. Forums are supposed to be recreational, you shouldn't feel pressured to post anywhere you feel unwelcome.

If I liked the Time thread, I would post in the Time thread.
yappobiscuits wrote:ETA: I think maybe unwelcome is a little strong word - it's really just that I feel very self-concious posting in other threads, as one of the most regular OTTers but more irregular posters elsewhere. Kinda how a gay person might feel entering a church. You know you're not unwelcome, but you still feel a bit self-concious and worried you might get judged by some people.

Speaking as one of those fancy gay people, I'm less worried about being judged, and more worried about laughing during the service.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

HES

Postby HES » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:21 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Regarding the deification question, I may not speak fluent Timeish, but does GLR not mean "Great Lord Randall"?

Indeed, which can certainly be interpreted creepily. It's easy (for those who don't know him personally) to forget that this guy on the internet is a real human being.

One could say, since he created it, that in the fictional universe it's a fitting title. Kind of like a fictional deity version of Randall. I'm not sure if that's any better, though.

It's on par with the "One True Thread" for making making a bad impression to the majority who don't know the full (long) context. I, personally, consider "OTT" and "GLR" as OTTish words that don't stand for anything. Like much of what has come out of that thread, it wasn't exactly planned.

But yes - if I encountered something like this about myself, and didn't have spare hundreds of hours to read the full context - I would at best ignore it.

tl;dr SexyTalon is right.

SecondTalon wrote:Man, I just did some math...

It was growing 10 pages a day at its peak. I think one reason people overreacted (and the existence of backups) is the sheer time investment in simply reading the whole thing.
He/Him/His Image

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:37 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Speaking as one of those fancy gay people, I'm less worried about being judged, and more worried about laughing during the service.

<3
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:56 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Actually, the main reason for the backup is to make the thread still accessible even when the rest of the fora isn't. There were times, when the fora were just giving http 503 errors, and that was the main inspiration. And I don't really feel like something bad is going to happen.
While I found Sciscitor's assumption that we might nuke 18 months worth of everything rather creepy-paranoid, I personally think the archive/backup effort is not a bad idea. As I've mentioned a couple times through this (which is of course the reason for the aforementioned belief that I was issuing threats), another forum I'm on did recently lose its database. At first it looked like that might be the entire history of the forum, back nearly 8 years (that forum started mere weeks after xkcd's), but fortunately stuff was at least recoverable up through August of 2012.

So, shit can happen, and I definitely understand a desire to keep backups just in case. I'm familiar enough with how stuff works at xkcd to not feel the need here, but I get the desire nonetheless.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:12 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Speaking as one of those fancy gay people, I'm less worried about being judged, and more worried about laughing during the service.

<3

"Lord Xenu? Really?"

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:48 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote: What makes you think that quote is specifically talking about people who post on this message board? I'd say your thread contains only a subset of the readers to whom that comment was addressed.

I wasn't claiming that Randall's "this is for you" was referring only to participants in this forum. I was claiming that it was a positive statement, in response to @SecondTalon's "... hasn't really given a shit about the forum or anything that happens here since 2006 ..." which sounded to me like @ST was suggesting that Randall expressed no positive sentiment whatsoever about the readers of xkcd 1190.

Of course, the "... doesn't acknowledge your existence " part is handily dismissed, as @Azrael already pointed out, the words "xkcd forum thread on Time" are a direct permalink to the last post in the ICT "Time" thread (at least until it exceeds 999999999 posts, which should take 13,000 years :P)

So addressing that searching-for-validation thing, which @SexyTalon and @Azrael rightly point out: I believe Randall was kinda nuts to be doing that comic on top of the normal xkcd and What-If, and convinced that he kinda got sick of it by the time it was over. My xkcd-related validation comes from the fact that Randall's creations help me enjoy my quirky, nerdy outlook on the world by seeing a bit of how his quirky nerdy outlook is similar to mine. It also helps that xkcd is Creative Commons BY-NC so I can make mash-ups and pastiche. So yeah, if you care about that.

Again, I can only speak for myself, and I was only trying to speak to those specific @SecondTalon statements.

SecondTalon wrote:
Belial wrote:Let's not chase too far up this tree. I am pretty sure I have repeatedly exhorted people to worship me as a God-Emperor, so glass houses.

While true, You're here
And I'll take an alcoholic, rambling, bribe-taking god over an absent one.

... this is pretty much the same sort of humor that led to the whole "GLR" thing. I think it started with using the word "creator" to refer to him as the artist who created the comic, and maybe the fact that the comic was a mystery and "only Randall knows" what the guy and woman in the comic will do next, and... then people decided to vote for cardinals or something... well you get the idea. So just typical nerdy bullshitting, as far as I could tell.

SecondTalon wrote: Man, I just did some math... While it's not accurate as I didn't factor in all the days, just 365... The time thread's averaging 8.5 replies every hour. [...] And that's how people not involved didn't realize what was going on until it was too late to change the course.
Here are the statistics on that. It shows a decaying average with a 24-hour half-life, with one line of data per page (40 posts) of the thread's activity.
    There were two days at the beginning, basically the Thursday and Friday after xkcd 1190 started, when it was a staggering 60 posts per hour, all day both days — not ten, but 36 pages per day — like I said, a perfect storm of nerd-sniping and a nightmare for any moderators who may have wished to, you know, herd cats all week.

P.S. ... All Hail Xenu! Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 am UTC

Referring to Randal as a god is about as accurate as referring to myself as a god. (I do refer to myself as a god sometimes. Its about as much as I refer to myself as a barely evolved amoebae. It's a kind of humor.)
Randal as a god just became a running gag. For the two in the comic he is an actual god. For me, as I tried to (wildly) guess what was was coming in the comic, he just knew a lot we were trying to figure out. The mock religion required a god, so Randal became it.
I expect these forums to have a lot of running gags that I don't know because I am mostly in the Time thread. This is the case in most communities, so I expect it to be so in the XKCD forums. The Time thread evolved without much connection to the rest of the forums. Thus we evolved our own running gags.

EDIT to reduce taking-myself-into-a-tight-corner effects. The mighty Thesaurus was replying to the stupid stuff.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am UTC

Many posters here fit the conventional model of sexiness, so I don't know why it would be surprising.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Referring to Randal as a god is about as accurate as referring to myself as a god. (I do refer to myself as a god sometimes. Its about as much as I refer to myself as a barely evolved amoebae. It's a kind of humor.)
Randal as a god just became a running gag. For the two in the comic he is an actual god. For me, as I tried to (wildly) guess what was was coming in the comic, he just knew a lot we were trying to figure out. The mock religion required a god, so Randal became it.
I expect these forums to have a lot of running gags that I don't know because I am mostly in the Time thread. This is the case in most communities, so I expect it to be so in the XKCD forums. The Time thread evolved without much connection to the rest of the forums. Thus we evolved our own running gags.

EDIT to reduce taking-myself-into-a-tight-corner effects. The mighty Thesaurus was replying to the stupid stuff.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Joking about Randy being a god is all fine and well. It's the appeals to interpretations of his motives that get weird and I'd prefer we don't do them.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:While I found Sciscitor's assumption that we might nuke 18 months worth of everything rather creepy-paranoid, ...

I never assumed that. Maybe misread the post (as explained here), but my basic point was that it was not helpful in the situation that has developed, as both statements could have been easily interpreted as a threat. I considered the chance that it could happen slim, but nonetheless to some degree real, given the heated atmosphere, as I knew the Mods would not have to show much restraint "playing around with the big guns". Well, enough of that.

["Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."]

Bakemaster wrote:...Any one of you might at any time, perhaps in response to what many of you perceive as unfair treatment by the general board community, choose to continue your special interest on its own special forum. The start-up cost for such a move, in its most basic form (i.e. you leave the old posts here), is truly negligible. I absolutely believe that some of you perceive yourselves as hostages of the forum staff, but I don't see any evidence that it's practically or effectively the case.

I did not mean to imply that this is a "hostage situation". But it can become one. The intents and motives of the Moderators right now may be good, but this may change (not last because of the attitude of some OTTers - like the alleged "First reporter"). I at least for now feel compelled to tread carefully.

Bakemaster wrote:Kurt Vonnegut said something along the lines of: Be careful what you pretend to be, because you are what you pretend to be. At what point are the silly and nonsexual irreverent origins of your behaviors outweighed by the reality of those behaviors becoming normative, and definitive of your subculture? Serious question, not just a rhetorical point.

We could go off on a tangent on that one... which would not only be really off topic, but bore everyone listening to death (except Neil, he's dead already). Alternativly (and hopefully a bit more amusing) I will let you be the judge of the chance for these pretentions to outweigh any reality (spoilered for heavy references to "cultish" elements):
Spoiler:
Ok... so what do we have there (in alphabetical order):
  • Angelastic - Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through her.
  • Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
  • bigcrag92 - That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
  • Dracomax - The High Inquisitor, who punishes heretics by dunking them into vats of lukewarm chocolate, pelting them with slightly stale S&Ms or in heavy cases puts them into The Comfy Chairs and serves them burnt steak.
  • Knight Temporals - who vowed to defend the believes of the Church (which one is a bit unclear) - unless it would mean to have to do anything.
  • lmjb - Transcendental Imaginator of the Western Paradox Church, Knight of the Woeful Maintenance, Wearer of the Motley of Awesomeness. Occasional purveyor of butter by order of the Archdeacon of Buttermongery.
  • Valarya - Cardinal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
  • The Western Paradox Church - which you can only be a member of if you don't

There are lots of other "cultish" things. But as BlitzGirl already has pointed out, it actually is a thing that's over, living forth in some references.

Edit to fix listformat.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Referring to Randal as a god is about as accurate as referring to myself as a god. (I do refer to myself as a god sometimes. Its about as much as I refer to myself as a barely evolved amoebae. It's a kind of humor.)

Yeah, that's what I mean. Joking about Randy being a god is all fine and well. It's the appeals to interpretations of his motives that get weird and I'd prefer we don't do them.

Ok, I'll try to keep that in the sieve I call my mind.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Belial wrote: Yeah, that's what I mean. Joking about Randy being a god is all fine and well. It's the appeals to interpretations of his motives that get weird and I'd prefer we don't do them.

Ok, I'll try to keep that in the sieve I call my mind.

The word filter of my mind — I think that's what got all this sound and fury started :D

Note to self: Next time I create a mock religion, make sure it is godless, like Buddhism.
(Which is my religion, for reals, and my branch of Buddhism does not take offense at being called "godless")

Edit: I believe I was being insentitive.
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

I'm glad that you're comfortable with dismissing the feelings of the people you've offended.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm UTC

I think we're getting to the point where this isn't going to continue in a productive manner.

Please consider this a soft lock: Unless you have something truly new and specific to Mod Madness 2014, move along. Standard SFI rules (i.e. no idle chatter) are now in effect.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

waveney wrote:It was bullying.

[...]

Bananas was fun

[...]

Good times.

Edit: Sorry Az I didn't see your last post before posting :(
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Return to “Site/Forum issues”