1353: "Heartbleed"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1353: "Heartbleed"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:59 am UTC

Title Text: I looked at some of the data dumps from vulnerable sites, and it was ... bad. I saw emails, passwords, password hints. SSL keys and session cookies. Important servers brimming with visitor IPs. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. I should probably patch OpenSSL.

I don't think there's enough earth in the Earth for clay tablets to store all the erotic fanfiction online.

ManaUser

Re: 1353: "Heartbleed"

Postby ManaUser » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:14 am UTC

I like how the people that found it created not only a catchy name, but a matching logo. Not many people take the time to do that anymore... actually has anyone taken the time to do that before?
heartbleed.png
heartbleed.png (7.61 KiB) Viewed 17163 times

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:17 am UTC

I suppose it definitely helps to get the word out considering how huge the leak appears to be.

I guess I have to go shore up my defenses now...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:22 am UTC

I don't think any of my sites were running OpenSSL. Eh, it's not like I had anything important there. Besides, my erotic fanfiction needed a wider readership anyway.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:37 am UTC

The superstitious among us might wonder what they expected when they made a security protocol with "open" in the name.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:45 am UTC

Welcome to my world, World.

Paranoid?
Nah. They, really, are out to 'Get' me.

They went after my paper and clay tablets, too.
***Nothing is sacred; Nothing is safe.***
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:52 am UTC

Heartbleed is yet another example of why coding in C is a bad idea. A memcpy with an incorrect size caused all this because C compilers do no bounds checking. Heartbleed wouldn't have happened if OpenSSL had been written in, for example, Ada. Instead of an information leak that leaves no trace it would have been a denial of service at the worst.

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:08 am UTC

Does anyone have a link to the data dumps or a list of affected sites? I'd like to know if any of the sites I use were affected.

Edit: Found this. Anyone have an updated version?

eidako

Postby eidako » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:44 am UTC

This comes on the heels of DynDNS announcing that they will be discontinuing their free DDNS service in a month, which has only been available for the last year or so for those who were grandfathered into it. The universe seems to be telling me that it's time to shut off the private server...having a reasonable expectation that my instant messages weren't being read by the NSA was fun while it lasted.

panthersnbraves

Postby panthersnbraves » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:16 am UTC

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Classic! I could feel the rain.

stankyjim

Postby stankyjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:28 am UTC

It is pretty important to realise that this isn't a web security bug. It is an issue with the TLS implementation of openssl versions 1.0.1a-f.

This impacts email, web, irc, databases, performance monitoring daemons, anything that uses the openssl TLS implementation and is of a vulnerable version.

polterbyte

Postby polterbyte » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 am UTC

Logged in just to point out the Blade Runner reference.

One of my favorite monologues ever.

Devil N

Postby Devil N » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:59 am UTC

Rombobjörn wrote:Heartbleed is yet another example of why coding in C is a bad idea. A memcpy with an incorrect size caused all this because C compilers do no bounds checking. Heartbleed wouldn't have happened if OpenSSL had been written in, for example, Ada. Instead of an information leak that leaves no trace it would have been a denial of service at the worst.

It's yet another example of why poorly written code is a bad idea. No amount of programming languages and frameworks is going to protect you from incompetent programmers.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 am UTC

Devil N wrote:No amount of programming languages and frameworks is going to protect you from incompetent programmers.

Whenever you create a foolproof system, the universe just goes and makes a bigger fool to goof it up.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 am UTC

@Jamaican Castle: Its more about noticing weaknesses while under stress than incompetence. Higher level languages typically make certain dangerous bugs impossible and reduce the code clutter that may hide the important parts.

I just wouldn't know which language to choose other than C for a long-running open source project, where performance may be critical. All alternatives I can think of raise question marks about the long-time stability of the language* or possible patent issues**.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 am UTC

eidako wrote:This comes on the heels of DynDNS announcing that they will be discontinuing their free DDNS service in a month, which has only been available for the last year or so for those who were grandfathered into it. The universe seems to be telling me that it's time to shut off the private server...having a reasonable expectation that my instant messages weren't being read by the NSA was fun while it lasted.

There are other free DDNS services. I use dnsdynamic.org for my bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:09 am UTC

The third Google result for heartbleed is a testing service. The sixth is this comic.

What do you have to do? Google, Facebook etc are secure, but if you used the same password on them as on a small site that's vulnerable, you're wide open.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:The third Google result for heartbleed is a testing service. The sixth is this comic.

What do you have to do? Google, Facebook etc are secure, but if you used the same password on them as on a small site that's vulnerable, you're wide open.

Supposedly, Google is actually only secure now. It was actually unsecure during the time when Heartbleed was in effect, but unknown (or when it was just known).

The major problem is not what to do about sites that are secure now, but what to do about sites that are currently unsecure. For the secure ones, I'm updating my password, but I want to hold off on that for the currently unsecure sites.

Edit: They laughed when I used hotmail for my e-mail service. Well, who's laughing now? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Philbert

Postby Philbert » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:18 am UTC

I am not a security expert. But if Heartbleed makes stuff readable from server memory, wouldn't an attacker still need command line access on the web server? Getting such access should be hard, right? Doesn't that make this problem less severe than it is drummed up to be?

veit

Postby veit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 am UTC

panthersnbraves wrote:Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Classic! I could feel the rain.

Yes!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_soliloquy (Blade Runner spoilers...)

stankyjim

Postby stankyjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:48 am UTC

Philbert wrote:wouldn't an attacker still need command line access on the web server? Getting such access should be hard, right? Doesn't that make this problem less severe than it is drummed up to be?

Security expert here!

Nope command line access is not needed, after a connection is established and TLS encryption negotiated the client requests a heart beat keep alive to take place. If the client requests an oversized keep alive reply, the server will respond with data which due to a bug contains a portion of the server's operational memory.

This process is repeated over and over again until the attacker has however much memory as they desire.

This vulnerablity is likely the most devastating that we have seen in the past decade.

Mazzula

Postby Mazzula » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:58 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I don't think there's enough earth in the Earth for clay tablets to store all the erotic fanfiction online.

Does it have to be clay tablets? Is IIS simply unthinkable?

forward4

Postby forward4 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

I'm assuming because of the unique awareness that we have, the forums are secure...
Minecraft and Mathematics; dragons and dinosaurs; raptors and rotational forces

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:What do you have to do? Google, Facebook etc are secure, but if you used the same password on them as on a small site that's vulnerable, you're wide open.

1) Never do that.
2) Use two-factor.
3) Update all your passwords for patched websites. Don't use the same one for all of them. Seriously.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

Devil N wrote:
Rombobjörn wrote:Heartbleed is yet another example of why coding in C is a bad idea. A memcpy with an incorrect size caused all this because C compilers do no bounds checking. Heartbleed wouldn't have happened if OpenSSL had been written in, for example, Ada. Instead of an information leak that leaves no trace it would have been a denial of service at the worst.

It's yet another example of why poorly written code is a bad idea. No amount of programming languages and frameworks is going to protect you from incompetent programmers.

Programmers are human. Humans make mistakes. C is designed for superhuman programmers who never ever make a mistake. Ada is designed to help the programmer to find the mistakes as early as possible, and to reduce the harm done by those errors that still slip through.

Jamaican Castle wrote:Whenever you create a foolproof system, the universe just goes and makes a bigger fool to goof it up.

The bigger fool in this context would be a programmer who is foolhardy enough to tell the compiler to disable bounds checking. Such fools exist, but there are also programmers who are smart enough not to do that, but still make mistakes now and then that an Ada compiler can help them catch.

Yu_p wrote:I just wouldn't know which language to choose other than C for a long-running open source project, where performance may be critical. All alternatives I can think of raise question marks about the long-time stability of the language or possible patent issues.

Ada is a very backwards-compatible language. A few new reserved words have been added in new versions of the language, so if you happened to be using one of those words as an identifier you would have to change it, but most Ada 83 programs should be compilable as Ada 2012 without changes. I have never heard of any patent issues with the language Ada, and I believe I would have heard of them if there were any. And since Ada is normally compiled to machine code its performance is similar to that of C.

DaveMcW

Postby DaveMcW » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

forward4 wrote:I'm assuming because of the unique awareness that we have, the forums are secure...

The forums don't use SSL, so they are secure from the heartbleed bug.

Of course that means your forum password is available to anyone who wiretaps your internet connection...

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

Devil N wrote:

ok. Is that funny?

Incompetent Programers?
Are Incompetent Programers the Gangsters of the Internet?

Are they Fucking idiots?
Do they leave a wake of fear and subtle destruction behind them?

Hi. I am Addams and I wander Off Topic.

Spoiler:
Are Incompetent Programers fundamentally incompetent?
Are they able and willing to Brute Force stuff Competent Persons would not do?

Incompetent Programers are the Gangsters of the Internet?
Is there a large portion of persons that are Both?

Incompetent Programers and 3D Gangsters?
Some Gangsters are Smart. Not most; Some.

We have Gangsters in My Nation and a Lot of Them.
Some are pretending. Many, Many are not.

When I look at my 3D world and the persons in it.
I, sometimes, see a very Flat Organization. ick.

Competent Individuals seem rare.
Competent Individuals should be Common.

How do you measure Competence in Programers?
How do you measure Competence in 3D Citizens?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

Philbert wrote:I am not a security expert. But if Heartbleed makes stuff readable from server memory, wouldn't an attacker still need command line access on the web server? Getting such access should be hard, right? Doesn't that make this problem less severe than it is drummed up to be?

Nope.

In a nutshell, an OpenSSL connection uses a heartbeat to keep the connection open. That is, the two sides send a message back and forth to let each other know they're still there. The nature of this heartbeat message is a size and some data. One side sends the data, the other side sends the SAME data back.

The trick is, there's no check that the size and the data match. So, one side can say "Here's 64K bytes, send the same 64K back to me" but only actually send one byte of data. The other side puts that single byte in memory, not knowing it's only one byte. Then, knowing it has to send 64K back, it puts that same byte PLUS the next (64K - 1) bytes from its memory into the packet and sends it back. All those extra bytes can be anything in memory. It might be junk, but it can very easily be valuable info. And this happens with every heartbeat.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

Yu_p wrote:I just wouldn't know which language to choose other than C for a long-running open source project, where performance may be critical. All alternatives I can think of raise question marks about the long-time stability of the language* or possible patent issues**.

C++ and STL containers? Long term stability, no patent issues, and generally excellent performance. I'd wager it's more common for people's performance to *improve* when switching to STL containers than slow down because of the amount of thought and work that goes into making the algorithms that deal with them fast. And the C++ standard has been evolving specifically to take out any potential bottlenecks that might slow them down versus raw C pointer-based implementations - for example, move constructors and the like. And if there's something about them that doesn't meet your needs (performance, implementation details, etc), you can subclass and make use of the raw data. And if you decide that the type of data structure you're using is no longer suitable, it's much easier to change the underlying mechanism without changing lots of code. And they're much easier to thread (many types are inherently threadsafe), esp. with the latest standards, where you can write a relatively simple one-line lambda to execute any function over a whole structure in the background, or even a future which will ensure that it's done executing by the time you next need to use the value without you having to manually tell it to finish. And on and on. Plus the obvious - typesafe, leakproof unless you do something really weird, templateable, etc.

They're not perfect, of course - they have their own types of errors you can make, such as trying to use invalidated iterators. You have to learn the language to use them right. But they're not prone to "casual" mistakes, like forgetting to include a free or bounds check, and the errors tend to be exceptions, not silent leaks/corruption.
Last edited by KarenRei on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

gsilverfish

Postby gsilverfish » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm UTC

So as an end user I'm confused. Do I just wait for my sites to email me when it's time to change the password? If I understand correctly there won't be much point to it until they update things on their end.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Philbert wrote:I am not a security expert. But if Heartbleed makes stuff readable from server memory, wouldn't an attacker still need command line access on the web server? Getting such access should be hard, right? Doesn't that make this problem less severe than it is drummed up to be?

Nope.

In a nutshell, an OpenSSL connection uses a heartbeat to keep the connection open. That is, the two sides send a message back and forth to let each other know they're still there. The nature of this heartbeat message is a size and some data. One side sends the data, the other side sends the SAME data back.

The trick is, there's no check that the size and the data match. So, one side can say "Here's 64K bytes, send the same 64K back to me" but only actually send one byte of data. The other side puts that single byte in memory, not knowing it's only one byte. Then, knowing it has to send 64K back, it puts that same byte PLUS the next (64K - 1) bytes from its memory into the packet and sends it back. All those extra bytes can be anything in memory. It might be junk, but it can very easily be valuable info. And this happens with every heartbeat.

So interesting.
So clear.
It makes perfect sense.

Machines might work like that.
Now; How to trigger specific parts of Memory?

What fun.
If geneticists can Trigger specific parts of a gene sequences,
You can Trigger specific parts of Memory sequences.

Even if your explanation is not Real;
It's funny.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

gsilverfish wrote:So as an end user I'm confused. Do I just wait for my sites to email me when it's time to change the password? If I understand correctly there won't be much point to it until they update things on their end.

That's correct. You can pester sites to get it fixed, and you can keep an eye on your money via non-web means. But as a user, there's nothing for you to do.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-protect ... bleed-bug/

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

ManaUser wrote:I like how the people that found it created not only a catchy name, but a matching logo. Not many people take the time to do that anymore... actually has anyone taken the time to do that before?

I like how they created a catchy name and a logo, but apparently couldn't be bothered to notify major OS vendors before disclosing the vulnerability.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

addams wrote:
dp2 wrote:

Nope.

So interesting.
So clear.
It makes perfect sense.

What fun.
If geneticists can Trigger specific parts of a gene sequences,
You can Trigger specific parts of Memory sequences.

Even if your explanation is not Real;
It's funny.

Oh, it's real. The saving grace, such as it is, is that a user of this exploit can't target specific parts of memory. They just get whatever random information happened to be next to the address where the heartbeat data was stored.

jkar

Postby jkar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:57 pm UTC

Wouldn't two-factor authentication be compromised as well, until/unless the service changed the private key? I was under the impression this vulnerability could reveal private keys for such things.
And if the site you use 2-factor for DOES change the key, wouldn't you need to change the key on your end as well? This part I'm less sure about because I really am not a cryptographer...

It also seems like all of my attempts at posting are being flagged as spam for no clear reason, so I can't even post my question which is the sole reason I made an account. Brilliant.

poslundc

Postby poslundc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

You guys can debate the merits of programming languages all you want. Anywhere that human interaction is required there is the potential for bugs. This wasn't a failure of language choice, it was more than likely a failure of process. Any mission-critical code like this should've been reviewed line-by-line by at least one other programmer before shipping. Any C/C++ programmer worth their salt would've red-flagged an arbitrary memcpy like that.

Dan.

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
addams wrote:
dp2 wrote:

Nope.

So interesting.
So clear.
It makes perfect sense.

Oh, it's real. The saving grace, such as it is, is that a user of this exploit can't target specific parts of memory. They just get whatever random information happened to be next to the address where the heartbeat data was stored.

Right, and that's the part that's not being made clear in the mass-media version of "The Sky Has Fallen" reporting on this bug (as well as on the actual tech side.

Yes, you will get 64k of memory from the server. But you don't control which 64k1. And even if you happen to get the server's key, that string of bytes is (should be) indistinguishable from 8192 bits from /dev/random (except that you can test it to see if it happens to decrypt something, or match the signature on a certificate)

--Joe
[1] It depends on where your dynamic memory allocator decides to put the 1 byte (in this example) Alice sent to Bob's server. It would have to be in a lower address within 64k of the data you actually want. Your placement will usually be influenced by the size of the allocation (1byte may be far away from a 4-byte allocation) and how fragmented the server's memory is (i.e. how busy it has been since it started), and you may still crash the server process if you read past the end of a memory page into unallocated space.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

poslundc wrote:You guys can debate the merits of programming languages all you want. Anywhere that human interaction is required there is the potential for bugs. This wasn't a failure of language choice, it was more than likely a failure of process. Any mission-critical code like this should've been reviewed line-by-line by at least one other programmer before shipping. Any C/C++ programmer worth their salt would've red-flagged an arbitrary memcpy like that.

Dan.

Wonderful!
Two more Posts and you can join the Conversation with full Linking Powers!

Yes! You know how to fix the vulnerabilities of Human Interactions with Machines?
How? Many have considered disposing of the Human Interface.

What fun would that be?
You want to Add more Programers?

Good Idea!
(please keep in mind, programers are people, too.)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

spoonyspork

Postby spoonyspork » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

CocoaNutCakery wrote:
bachaddict wrote:The third Google result for heartbleed is a testing service. The sixth is this comic.

Supposedly, Google is actually only secure now. It was actually unsecure during the time when Heartbleed was in effect, but unknown (or when it was just known).

The major problem is not what to do about sites that are secure now, but what to do about sites that are currently unsecure. For the secure ones, I'm updating my password, but I want to hold off on that for the currently unsecure sites.

Edit: They laughed when I used hotmail for my e-mail service. Well, who's laughing now? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fun fact: hotmail used to plop your username and password right on the url created on login, not obscured in any way (IIRC the url read something like 'hotmail.com/uid=<username>&pwd=<password>' or something equally as absurd). I could actually tell when my mom was lying about triple-checking to make sure she'd typed her password correctly when she'd complain she couldn't log in. Fun times, man. Fun times.

*re-lurks -- just here to change password on yet another site, just in case*

poslundc

Postby poslundc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

addams wrote:
poslundc wrote:You guys can debate the merits of programming languages all you want. Anywhere that human interaction is required there is the potential for bugs. This wasn't a failure of language choice, it was more than likely a failure of process. Any mission-critical code like this should've been reviewed line-by-line by at least one other programmer before shipping. Any C/C++ programmer worth their salt would've red-flagged an arbitrary memcpy like that.

Dan.

Wonderful!
Two more Posts and you can join the Conversation with full Linking Powers!

Yes! You know how to fix the vulnerabilities of Human Interactions with Machines?
How? Many have considered disposing of the Human Interface.

What fun would that be?
You want to Add more Programers?

Good Idea!
(please keep in mind, programers are people, too.)

I'm an engineer; I don't value quantity over quality. I'm specially trained to write code of sufficient quality for use in pacemakers, medical lasers and space shuttles, where it has to work correctly the first time and every time. My undergrad thesis was software to monitor a nuclear reactor. But hey, I'm only five thousand posts away from being worthy to be a part of the conversation. Good to see this is where the intellectuals hang out; I'm real thrilled to be here.

Dna.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”