1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Not this one, though.

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

No more wish-corrupting on this newpage
unless it's not the only content of your post.
Hide messages in images instead.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:Some lingual beatdowns

That seems almost as illogical as most of English.

At least English has the excuse that it is screwed up because it developed from 3 or 4 different languages and stole whatever it didn't have from everyone else.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

At least English has the excuse that it is screwed up because it developed from 3 or 4 different languages and stole whatever it didn't have from everyone else.

I didn't want to make it a "beatdown", I just wanted to share a curiosity... But you are perfectly right when you say that it is "illogical" because -- and I really don't want to sound like those post-moderns that pretend to be holding hands and singing Kumbaya (doing a Ph.D. in literature, you can imagine how many I have around me...) -- their logic is indeed different (in the sense of "mode of reasoning", forget Hilbert's mathematical logic). Believe, it actually makes sense when you accept their premises!

But the excuse you have for English is, in fact, another valid one, and it is true for a number of languages. BTW, Wikipedia has, as usual, a good article on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

I didn't want to make it a "beatdown", I just wanted to share a curiosity... But you are perfectly right when you say that it is "illogical" because -- and I really don't want to sound like those post-moderns that pretend to be holding hands and singing Kumbaya (doing a Ph.D. in literature, you can imagine how many I have around me...) -- their logic is indeed different (in the sense of "mode of reasoning", forget Hilbert's mathematical logic). Believe, it actually makes sense when you accept their premises!

But the excuse you have for English is, in fact, another valid one, and it is true for a number of languages. BTW, Wikipedia has, as usual, a good article on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender

Didn't mean anything specific by beatdown. It just seemed the simplest way to condense your informative and interesting post to something that wasn't three times as long as the reply.

I guess that's why most language programs try to introduce you to culture as well. If you understand the cultural Logic and assumptions, it makes figuring out things like gender easier.

One of these days, I'm going to learn a new language. Not today, probably not tomorrow, but one of these days...
“have i gone mad?

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I guess that's why most language programs try to introduce you to culture as well. If you understand the cultural Logic and assumptions, it makes figuring out things like gender easier.

One of these days, I'm going to learn a new language. Not today, probably not tomorrow, but one of these days...

And in fact I am one of those that, even after years, still write Python code that is not "pythonic" and Lisp code that is not "lispy". :mrgreen:
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

HES

THESE AREN'T THE OTTSCARS YOU'RE KETCHUPPING FOR

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

My housemates have gone home for the holidips, so there's a good chance my sanity will suffer in the near future.

AUTOMOME wrote:THE OTC IS A LIE

:shock: HERESY!
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Re: THESE AREN'T THE OTTSCARS YOU'RE KETCHUPPING FOR

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

I think I've given up on understanding most of what you've written about Beanish, tresoldi. Though I still read it to try to get the general idea of where things stand. Bummer that it seems to have hit a roadblock for now, at least until we get more examples in future Othercomics.

HES wrote:My housemates have gone home for the holidips, so there's a good chance my sanity will suffer in the near future.

AUTOMOME wrote:THE OTC IS A LIE

:shock: HERESY!

What holixips are those?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:25 pm UTC

We get a month off around Zombie Jesus Day; I suppose it's the UK equivalent of spring break.
He/Him/His Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:26 pm UTC

I have quite a lot to respond to and some things of my own... so let's get started:

Languages and gender
German has some peculiarities concerning gender. I am not going into details but will just relay a true story. In the 19th century there was a rather famous paternity case in which the ruling contained the remarkable sentence: "... that she has impregnated him." (".., dass sie ihn geschwängert hat.") Which - for reasons that will almost certainly not translate - was entirely correct. (An orderly [male] was sued by a servant [female] to be the father of her child. The gender of "Ordonnanz" in german is female, while "Dienstbote" is male.)

On another note: I am - which I am fairly sure is rather obvious - not a native english speaker. What I really like about our thread (and the forum an general - yes I too read a few otherthreads) is the rather high level of language skills. No "How r u?" or other abominations. I too would like to know how my english is perceived.

Related Otherothercomic
Todays Dilbert seems to be strangely related to our Buffygirl...

Wishing
I feel this game is quite morbid. Though maybe an interesting intellectual exercise it still makes me feel kinda sad.

Personal things
After three days of struggling I finally succeeded in retro engineering a particular braindead format for storing multidimensional data. Yeah me! :D
Also: My new Starret combination square arrived.

The OTT
1. Welcome to the OTT, lunchbox1100101!
2. OTTers are a strange bunch. The mods have expressed their dissapointment that we are not as integrated in the larger forum culture and community as would have been cool and presto - quite a large percentage of us go out, activley integrating. Bringing back and forth new things. Go figure! They could have just asked about it. :)

Edit to fix Dilbert link.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0862

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

STONEHONGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

That raptor just realised he left the oven on.
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:02 pm UTC

HES wrote:We get a month off around Zombie Jesus Day; I suppose it's the UK equivalent of spring break.

Except for the fact that Spring Break is only a wip in the States. Universities have about a mip off around Christmas, younger schools get about 2 wips, and employees generally get anywhere from a couple xips to a little over a wip.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

Time Revisited - np494

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

REEFUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH PRICKLYMOLPY

-- posted by oldpixbot

tresoldi

Re: THESE AREN'T THE OTTSCARS YOU'RE KETCHUPPING FOR

Postby tresoldi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I think I've given up on understanding most of what you've written about Beanish, tresoldi. Though I still read it to try to get the general idea of where things stand. Bummer that it seems to have hit a roadblock for now, at least until we get more examples in future Othercomics.

Sorry @macraw83, other people have pointed that I am not really clear and I am using way too much linguistic jargon, but it is not easy to write without footnotes! I know it can end up very obscure, but please ask me if there is anything really incomprehensible (I am trying to explain my conclusions in closing sentences without too much jargon, and I also try to explain the concepts that cannot be easily understood just by googling or "wikipeding" [is that even a verb?!] them).

Just, please, don't assume that I have figured Beanish out: the a-bit-more-academic methodology, the linguistic jargon, and the wannabe-scientist attitude (but I swear I am not wearing a lab coat!) are probably masking the fact that, just like anyone else, I have no clue about it. :mrgreen: -- btw, do you have any suggestion for possible translations of the sentences I am unable to figure out?

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:Except for the fact that Spring Break is only a wip in the States.

Universities vary here, but it's usually along the lines of:
Start late September; Two weeks off at Christmas, followed by January exams; One month at Easter, followed by May/June exams. Three month summer break (Or, in my case, postgraduate research time).

Some courses (not engineering) get mid-term reading weeks, I suppose those are the spring-break equivalent.

The end result is a three-term, two-semester set up.
He/Him/His Image

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Languages and gender
German has some peculiarities concerning gender. I am not going into details but will just relay a true story. In the 19th century there was a rather famous paternity case in which the ruling contained the remarkable sentence: "... that she has impregnated him." (".., dass sie ihn geschwängert hat.") Which - for reasons that will almost certainly not translate - was entirely correct. (An orderly [male] was sued by a servant [female] to be the father of her child. The gender of "Ordonnanz" in german is female, while "Dienstbote" is male.)

On another note: I am - which I am fairly sure is rather obvious - not a native english speaker. What I really like about our thread (and the forum an general - yes I too read a few otherthreads) is the rather high level of language skills. No "How r u?" or other abominations. I too would like to know how my english is perceived.

As a Romance speaker (and I too would like to know how my English sounds! I know I have a terribly strong Italian accent with some Portuguese vowel coloring -- I remember a poor Canadian once, looking puzzled at me, as if I were speaking Beanish), I can attest that German genders seem even more illogical than Italian and Portuguese ones (and I constantly have to deal with team -- when I am teaching Italian, Brazilians never accept that "flower", in Italian, is masculine -- "but it is supposed to be gentle and mild"!). Seriously, the Moon is a man and the Sun a woman? Where did you put the entire Western cosmology? And, seriously, "fatherland"? (This applies to you too, Lord English!) It seems obvious that Freudian "where's-my-mommy" would first show up in a German-speaking society! :)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

I'm on my two wip Easter break now. :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:On another note: I am - which I am fairly sure is rather obvious - not a native english speaker. What I really like about our thread (and the forum an general - yes I too read a few otherthreads) is the rather high level of language skills. No "How r u?" or other abominations. I too would like to know how my english is perceived.

I would never have known. It always amazes me how good people can be at more than one language. I apparently have a one language brain, unless you can't programming language or OTTish :P

Loving the frequent Beanish updates, by the way. I'll let you know if I have any sudden epiphanies.

Very little changeUNG
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:As for language discussions: I understand why you would have more than thre gender pronouns. I understand why you would gender names. But I am still utterly lost as to why anyone would gender objects which have none themselves, so why do so many languages do it?

Dracomax wrote:I guess that's why most language programs try to introduce you to culture as well. If you understand the cultural Logic and assumptions, it makes figuring out things like gender easier.

Well, I don't understand why we have genders for inanimate objects, it really makes no sense. :)
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

HES

Masculine, Feminine, Neuter, Inanimate, Molpy

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Well, I don't understand why we have genders for inanimate objects, it really makes no sense. :)

The obvious thing to do is to introduce a new standard dealing with the inanimate objects :twisted:
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Re: Masculine, Feminine, Neuter, Inanimate, Molpy

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

HES wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Well, I don't understand why we have genders for inanimate objects, it really makes no sense. :)

The obvious thing to do is to introduce a new standard dealing with the inanimate objects :twisted:

100 years later....
"Can anyone tell me why we refer to all inanimate objects with the same gender as we use for Hermaphrodites?" :mrgreen:

Also, Computer stuff ordered. Came in at just under the top of my budget. Many thanks to macraw83.
“have i gone mad?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
HES wrote:

100 years later....
"Can anyone tell me why we refer to all inanimate objects with the same gender as we use for Hermaphrodites?" :mrgreen:

Also, Computer stuff ordered. Came in at just under the top of my budget. Many thanks to macraw83.

100 years later...

"Ni ni ni chupacolpy tabletennis."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

january1may

Postby january1may » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

HES wrote:
HES wrote:Except for the fact that Spring Break is only a wip in the States.

Universities vary here, but it's usually along the lines of:
Start late September; Two weeks off at Christmas, followed by January exams; One month at Easter, followed by May/June exams. Three month summer break (Or, in my case, postgraduate research time).

Some courses (not engineering) get mid-term reading weeks, I suppose those are the spring-break equivalent.

The end result is a three-term, two-semester set up.

The Russian situation is similar: start early September, two weeks off around Christmas (something like 30 Dec-10 Jan), one week off for May holidays (roughly 1-9 May), and "three month" summer break that actually starts near the end of June (so it's only two months). Many places also have a week off in early November; don't remember if that's official (and, funnily, don't actually remember if these places include my university).

As for exam schedules, I don't actually know what the normal one is; the one at my university has end-of-semester exams in late December and late June and mid-semester exams in late October and late March (I recently went through the latter set), and generally seems to be based on a four-term division (which is still less crazy that the version in my first year, which had five terms), but I know enough to be sure that it isn't how exams normally work in my country, and I don't know enough to be sure how do they work normally.
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

mscha

Time Revisited - np496

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

FUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:NO, MEGBALL, YOU ARE THE BEANIE

-- posted by oldpixbot

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HES wrote:

100 years later....

100 years later...

"Ni ni ni chupacolpy tabletennis."

Meanwhile, The OTT, still active, has evolved into a language nobody else speaks, and is treated much like Klingon or Quenya.
“have i gone mad?

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Meanwhile, The OTT, still active, has evolved into a language nobody else speaks, and is treated much like Klingon or Quenya.

So now, then.

AUTOMOME wrote:I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR NEW UNG OVERLORDS
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Meanwhile, The OTT, still active, has evolved into a language nobody else speaks, and is treated much like Klingon or Quenya.

So now, then.

AUTOMOME wrote:I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR NEW UNG OVERLORDS

Yes, except that it is spoken by (actors playing, who may themselves secretly be)OTTers in movies to show their alien culture.
“have i gone mad?

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

WE'VE SECRETLY REPLACED MROB27'S STEAMBOTTLE WITH A SPOILERCAKE.
LET'S SEE IF XE NOTICES...

frame M#497
...continued absence of Cuegan...

tresoldi wrote: Sorry @macraw83, other people have pointed that I am not really clear and I am using way too much linguistic jargon, but it is not easy to write without footnotes! I know it can end up very obscure, but please ask me if there is anything really incomprehensible ...

I really appreciate all the work, and thorough detail, and frankly have been :shock: stunned and pleasantly surprised by your ability to assign (tentative) phonetic values to Beanish words. The jargon is good because it's easy to look up: The word copula is pretty easy to look up if I want to learn more. Calling it a "linking word" :roll: like they did in my grammar school, would be far lass useful.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: Time Revisited - np496

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:FUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:NO, MEGBALL, YOU ARE THE BEANIE

-- posted by oldpixbot

Hey, everyone. Has anyone noticed, but the sea is RISING. Nooooo... it'll wash away the castle, and destroy it, leaving nothing for us to watch but a screen of semencoffeecancerbabybacononice! Thus ends Time! :o

To all those asking about their English skills: if people hadn't identified themselves as non-native English speakets, I'd have thought y'all were British/American/Canadian/Australian/South African/[insert other English-speaking nationality here]. Well done to you for that, as I'm rather pedantic usually about these things!

P.S. posting from an ancient low-end smartphone is not easy!
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 pm UTC

ggh wrote:To be honest, Kapiti wasn't my first choice for this photo. I was pretty sure that I had an empty container of Killinchy Gold in the House, but I couldn't find it. It's not quite as delicious in my opinion, but I find the packaging hilarious, because at first glance it appears to be the dessert form of soylent green.

Spoiler:
image.jpg
Mmm, Soylent Cream!

ggh wrote:Thanks, mrob, for posting lunchbox101's avatar image... I'm doubly glad I asked because I have a tendency to see the low-res images incorrectly. In this case, I mostly saw it as it was, but made the notable error of parsing the forehead and hair as a duck's head looking left.
karhell wrote:Aaaaah!! Can't unsee ! From now on, Razzy officially has a duck on his head

“What duck?” - the Duck Man (Soul Music, Hogfather, etc.)

Non-native English speakers: In most cases, I haven't know that English wasn't your native language until you've pointed it out; if forced to find a tell-tale it might be that native speakers bend more rules. I suppose that's because we weren't taught the grammar rules as precisely - taking French classes in school taught me a lot more about English grammar than I ever learned in ‘Language Arts’ class. (That's grammar, composition, literature, and a bit of sociology. And a lovely commentary on the way US schools function - combining 3 subjects into one class leaves more room in the schedule for... other subjects, I suppose? Certainly not anything important, like music or art :| )

tresoldi, you're doing fine :) Your posts are pretty technical for the untrained, but I got through the geographical discussion, the astronomical discussion, and all the other discussions that were over my head, and learned a lot just by trying to keep up. I'm learning a lot from yours too, including how woefully inadequate my country's educational form can be, and enjoying every bit. I supposed you could spoiler your posts by paragraph or similar, but I don't think it's necessary :)

I wish I had a prehensile tail, just strong enough to hold an umbrella or smack someone on the back of the head.

ETA missed karhell quote
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HES

IMMA CHARGIN MAH OTT

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:P.S. posting from an ancient low-end smartphone is not easy!

Any app makers among us? These fora have been in need of a smartphone solution for a long while.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0863

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

FEELONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Non-native English speakers: In most cases, I haven't know that English wasn't your native language until you've pointed it out; if forced to find a tell-tale it might be that native speakers bend more rules. I suppose that's because we weren't taught the grammar rules as precisely - taking French classes in school taught me a lot more about English grammar than I ever learned in ‘Language Arts’ class. (That's grammar, composition, literature, and a bit of sociology. And a lovely commentary on the way US schools function - combining 3 subjects into one class leaves more room in the schedule for... other subjects, I suppose? Certainly not anything important, like music or art :| )

Yeah, and it's not just about bending rules willy-nilly: there's rules that sound okay to bend, and ones that definitely do not. Also, conversational spoken English tends to bend more rules than written English, even in a conversational setting (forums), though chatroom Unglish may push that generalization.

I haven't had a class called "Language Arts" since the 6th grade - it's just been "English" since then. Same subject matter, though, except more of an emphasis on literature and composition. Grammar only comes in as an aspect of good composition.

BlueCrab wrote:I wish I had a prehensile tail, just strong enough to hold an umbrella or smack someone on the back of the head.

Sure is would be nice, yeah. :P

mscha

Time Revisited - np498

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

SPUNGOLOGIST...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:"THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!" I SCREAMED AS MINI-SHORTDO KEUGHT UP

-- posted by oldpixbot

ChronosDragon

Re: Time Revisited - np498

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
AUTOMOME wrote:"THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!" I SCREAMED AS MINI-SHORTDO KEUGHT UP

Is newpixbot becoming the Earl of Lemongrab?
Spoiler:

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:To all those asking about their English skills: if people hadn't identified themselves as non-native English speakets, I'd have thought y'all were British/American/Canadian/Australian/South African/[insert other English-speaking nationality here]. Well done to you for that, as I'm rather pedantic usually about these things!

Good to hear! But it's still a lot easier to write than to speak, because you can think as long as you want and you can cheat - finding newwordsO in the dictionary and even look for phrases. Not mentioning how much trouble I have with pronunciationT.

I wish I could speak English much more fluent. (Yes, you can corrupt this wish)

But I have to say, the OTT is really improving my skills. It's molpish to learn EnglishT because you want to write and not because you are forced to by teachers. :)

O OTTish term. I wonder how do you spell "ww"? [double double u] or [quadruple u]? Wait, why don't you spell www in URLs as [sextuple u]? That's a lot shorter. :mrgreen:
T Couldn't we introduce a new standard so that either the written form reflects the spoken form or vice versa?
T Well, more like OTTish dialect of English (and Beanish) but still... :D
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

Should really be "double v". Well done, Germans.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Re: IMMA CHARGIN MAH OTT

Postby taixzo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

HES wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:P.S. posting from an ancient low-end smartphone is not easy!

Any app makers among us? These fora have been in need of a smartphone solution for a long while.

I could perhaps take a shot at it.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

Hmmm.. Other comments about Star Trek Into Darkness make me wonder... that was the one where Captain Kirk (played by a new actor) first goes aboard a starship, right? The other one (where Admiril Kirk (played by the original actor) has to deal with the dying Klingon world was also pretty good, but not as good as the aforementioned one. It's always molpish to see the Federation though.

Maugrim wrote:Progress seems slow, as the outside world makes outrageous demands upon my time.
Be not discouraged, for without heresy, there is no Holiness. We eagerly await your Glorious Arrival in the Present, but we are good at Waiting For It. So, take your Time to experience Time in its own Time. We'll be here.

@mscha - Awesomeful "discovery" of the One True Commandmenth!

HES wrote:Should really be "double v". Well done, Germans.
Spanish gets this right too.

hYeah, yeah... there were other commandments. But... well... you're right. I'll be over here, in the comfy chair.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

The OTT, circa 1880...

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

Molpy up! Welcome, lunchbox1100101! Happy 800 to both Minim and Laura Molpy June Beesnake!
karhell wrote:As for the rule of thumb, an unaccented 'e' at the end of a word doesn't necessarily mean the word is feminine. "Moustique" (mosquito), for instance is masculine (and actually bugged me for quite a few yips).

Scie de jeux de mots... oui? (Not sure if pun intended... :P)
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Time 2 confirmed!
mscha wrote:YAPPUNGLY...
Spoiler:

Does that particular newpix have a m*starded coma schedule or something?
mscha wrote:FARMONGVILLE...
Spoiler:

That beesnake looks like it's about to finish drawing some gentleman-vegetables. Image

Totally fits with my "the Beanies are descended from OTTers" theory!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”