Picking a Mafia Champion

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: Picking a Mafia Champion

Postby mpolo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

Hey, the last one there did the "Post an unbreakable code for every player" so as to have an unbreakable claim when push comes to shove thing — if that doesn't break the spirit of the rules, how can this?
Image <-- Evil experiment

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Hey, the last one there did the "Post an unbreakable code for every player" so as to have an unbreakable claim when push comes to shove thing — if that doesn't break the spirit of the rules, how can this?

I'm gonna disallow this. I was playing myself last time, so wasn't modding and wasn't prepared for my replacement mod to allow this.

As for the guy taking the week off work, he was apparently only kidding.

As for the group account, sorry, not allowed :P

This is something that won't be doable for any of the top consensus players here, or? :/

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

Thingyman wrote:This is something that won't be doable for any of the top consensus players here, or? :/

If you take a look at some previous games on this forum, most here just don't have the sort of time for a level of activity that group seems to have. Games here are sometimes only 4-5 pages long. Most try to get at least one post in a day, and game-days can stretch up to a week, with some players not posting for 48 hours or more (although we discourage this greatly, and it usually gets them lynched for lurking)

Even our Turbo games aren't on as intense of a schedule as the proposed game. :?

Certainly we'd love to be involved in this (I think i speak for people here with that, I would), but looking at the level of activity and volumnious posts is kinda scary. I know that I couldn't make that kind of commitment, if I was nominated (which I'm not, I haven't played many games)
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

I understand. A shame :)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

roband wrote:Well I certainly don't think I'm our champion, my town play is far too weak, but that's far from the worst time for me

lawrencelot wrote:Also, in case none of the players who got a vote have time to play, I nominate myself. I have not played that many games on this forum, but I've played and modded many games on mafiascum a few years ago. I consider myself an experienced, but not very good player, so any other player from here would get my preference.

Are either of you two still down, now that we know the speed?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

My activity won't be very stable till closer to June, as I'm going on several vacations. So please count me out.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu May 01, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

Unvote

Vote: Lawrencelot

Just because he's our only choice doesn't mean he's not a worthy player! :D
-Adam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 pm UTC

No problem with Lawrencelot playing for us. He needs to inform Thingyman before May 2, I believe.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu May 01, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
roband wrote:Well I certainly don't think I'm our champion, my town play is far too weak, but that's far from the worst time for me

lawrencelot wrote:Also, in case none of the players who got a vote have time to play, I nominate myself. I have not played that many games on this forum, but I've played and modded many games on mafiascum a few years ago. I consider myself an experienced, but not very good player, so any other player from here would get my preference.

The games I am currently in (Kingdom Control Mafia, and hosting Mercatores) might suffer from this, but I think I can solve that so I'm up for it.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 01, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

unvote
vote: lawrencelot

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu May 01, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

vote: Lawrencelot

Just want to add my voice in supporting Lawrencelot if he decides to do this. He is a fine player (as are all the players nominated in this thread).

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm UTC

i think we should put lawrencelot through an intense 1-week mafia blitz workshop.

just kidding :D
vote lawrencelot

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu May 01, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

Unvote
Unvote
Unvote

Vote: Lawrencelot

Because, considering the circumstances, I think we have to send whoever is able to deal with the crazy amount of activity there!

Lawrencelot has also modded several great games on the Forum Games section, so he's a great choice to represent the xkcd forum :)

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Fri May 02, 2014 7:59 am UTC

Hey guys, just so you know I've contacted Thingyman and I'm up for this. Thanks for letting me represent the xkcd forum, even though I have joined here relatively recently and haven't played many games here yet. I will try to do my best to show which forum is the best at mafia 8-). I hope I'm town, cause I actually suck as scum.

As for the speed of the game: the tempo on this forum has been a bit too low for me anyway (even though the number of real life days in a mafia day has been far less than I'm used to, so games actually end pretty fast here). Still, the activity required for this game is far higher than any I've ever been in. I plan to post during breaks at work (or while code is compiling, etc.) and whenever I have free evenings. I can catch up during those times as well, and while travelling from/to work by train. And I'll just lower my activity on other sites (social media, other fora etc.)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri May 02, 2014 9:29 am UTC

Good luck Lawrencealot! I'd say I'll try to follow the game, but I can barely keep up with the games here (not to mention the Time thread).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 02, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

Ah man.. 2 days away from the forum, but I was up for it too. No drama. Good luck lawrence

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri May 02, 2014 3:57 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:The games I am currently in (Kingdom Control Mafia, and hosting Mercatores) might suffer from this
You are dead to me.

;)
-Adam

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri May 02, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

You should both play!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 02, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:You should both play!

yup. with Roband as scum, and lawrencelot as town, we'd be unstoppable!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat May 03, 2014 7:15 am UTC

Man! Can that be done? Have Lawrencelot represent the xkcd Forum Games section, and roband represent the xkcd Mafia section, both sections have their own small overlap (just like any two forums) but are distinct communities mostly (most mafia players don't play Forum Games, and most Forum Gamers don't play mafia) and I think something like this could work.

I suggest roband to contact Thingyman with a concept like this.

And if it does get through, I just hope roband doesn't get town and Lawrencelot doesn't get scum, now, if both happened that'd be a circus :P

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sat May 03, 2014 4:23 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:
freezeblade wrote:

The games I am currently in (Kingdom Control Mafia, and hosting Mercatores) might suffer from this, but I think I can solve that so I'm up for it.

I can replace if needed
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sun May 04, 2014 4:25 pm UTC

roband wrote:Ah man.. 2 days away from the forum, but I was up for it too. No drama. Good luck lawrence

Roband, you can take my place, I've said earlier that I prefer anyone else from this forum. Just contact thingyman and tell him I said it here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon May 05, 2014 4:57 am UTC

I still think you both should go D:

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 am UTC

#4 Game of Mafia Champions

The game thread: forumserver.twoplustwo . com /59/puzzles-other-games/4-game-mafia-champions-ww-invitational-game-thread-1439835/

Spectator chat: There is a spectator chat on Skype with a bunch of people from different sites. It's been a great success in the past and has led to other crossover games etc., so you should totally join. Just add me on Skype: thingyman.

Day 1 reads competition: Go here to read the rules on the day 1 reads competition that we'll have and see if you can prove your worth despite not playing in the game: orumserver.twoplustwo . com /59/puzzles-other-games/4-game-mafia-champions-day-1-reads-competition-1440100/

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue May 06, 2014 8:51 am UTC

Sorry I missed this thread! I'm honoured Adam H mentioned me on the first page - I feel it's undeserved and to be honest would kind of like a mafia workshop myself!!

I just feel like I'm really, really awful at playing Town. I feel comfortable playing scum, but when I'm Town I just have no idea what to do. Other people pick up these really great tells - I remember once I was replacing at the last minute and I was a recruiting SK, and I had the sense of mind to recruit formerly dimochka who then calmly layed down his (correct, as it turns out) impressions of each player's alignment. And I was just like: holy crap, how did he know all that? How could he possibly have figured that out from the posts?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue May 06, 2014 9:16 am UTC

Hmmm, Snark had also that uncanny ability of knowing who was who with great accuracy after just looking at D1 posts. I recall it was frustrating to him when he was lynched or killed and nobody ever looked to his list, and he'd lose anyway...

Anyway, I hadn't visited the site, I know myself, I'd probably go and get sucked trying to read it all, which would let me stuck there :mrgreen:

But Lawrencelot has made a report that the game is full of arrogant pricks, ha! Well, most of them are probably arrogant pricks, but, some might actually be better, smarter, or more important than others and will show it when winning the game :mrgreen:

Go Lawrencelot!

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue May 06, 2014 10:03 am UTC

Where's Lawrencelot's report? I WANT INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 am UTC

wait which game was that? :D

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue May 06, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Where's Lawrencelot's report? I WANT INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.

Here it is! Directly from Kingdom Control Mafia!:

Lawrencelot wrote:Hey guys, I'm sorry but I have to replace out of this game due to the mafia champion thing. Too bad because I really like this game more, the other one consists mainly of arrogant pricks lol

And... that's the report. Really, I'm dying to check the game thread, but what if they have created more than 20 pages already, and I have to read them all?? (and I'd HAVE to! Unlike the Time Thread that just goes at a speed I can't follow and never ends, this one will have to end at some point, so reading all the pages they'd posted so far would be optimal.)

Also, ohmigod! I realized I don't know what to do, I really don't want to be spoiled about what happens in the game before I read it! What if Lawrencelot dies and then I know that he will die?? It would not be the same reading in the game thread that he died, because I know that was the case! But I'll have to know if he suddenly is active again on the games here!

I just have too many mes with conflicting concepts about it! Wish I had it easy like other people that just will be happy to know what happened without needing to know how, or will be happy with skimming the game thread to see what happened!

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:And... that's the report. Really, I'm dying to check the game thread, but what if they have created more than 20 pages already, and I have to read them all??

I've read (well, skimmer over, rather) most of the 40 pages that they had created in the 12 hours until yesterday evening.

Really a lot of people who just post way too much, and a lot of arguing about strategy, some to the point where the argument probably helps scum more than town, just because it gives them something to talk about... not very impressive for a "champions" game, honestly.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Tue May 06, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

Thanks all for the votes, it's unfortunate the timing of things. I've been busy packing my life into little boxes, and the little boxes into my little SUV, so it can go on the big boat with me and move halfway across the country for my new job.

This will be my last time checking in here for awhile, I'm about to turn off and pack up my computer. As such, I would not have been able to participate in this.

I do still plan very much to run a game when I'm back up and running. Maybe in a couple weeks, hopefully no longer than a month. We'll see how the rental fairy treats me.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 06, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

Are you ever NOT moving? :P

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Tue May 06, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

Haha, the last two moves have been to better places in town, this time it's a bit different.

Though, if everything goes as I'd like, I'll be moving again in 6-12 months after I get there, to yet another mystery city, so there is that. :P
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 06, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Typical. Let me know when you're settled and we'll mod a flavour heavy game together sometime.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue May 06, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

Oh, okay, so the game thread is moving twice as fast as I expected - turns out I'd not be able to catch up even if I wanted :(

But at least that makes my decision easy: I'll not check, I'll rely on reports like cemper93's, and I won't be annoyed at spoilers. Thanks cemper93.

Anyway, good luck Lataro, see you then.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

roband wrote:Typical. Let me know when you're settled and we'll mod a flavour heavy game together sometime.

GoT II: electric boogaloo?

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 06, 2014 7:28 pm UTC

Oh man.. maybe.

Return to “Mafia”