1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 am UTC

Windows xpUNGish. Not intentional though.
RSIR
Spoiler:
everyframemustgo.png

edit: pope! Image

decree: You all make such beautiful things! Share where we can find beautiful creations of yours that aren't directly related! Words pictures or otherwise. Show something off, and invent it into being related!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Re: DISREGARD THAT, I HOTDOG EPSILON

Postby ucim » Thu May 08, 2014 12:26 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Well, This video used 515 as a sequel.
How did you find that? Or rather, how did you know to look for it?

ggh, you're on a steakish roll! (Is that a hamburger? Couldn't be, as hamburgers are not as much fun as hotdogs, though you (might) get paid for them.

lmjb1964 wrote:Also, did BlitzGirl see this?
MistyCat wrote:ucim gave me the gift of his Time in an earlier AotC episode.
Damn Damn Damn Damn
I praised him with faint Damns.

Guess it's not a pun, but it's pretty suspicious wordplay.
If she missed the dam, she's probably all washed up.

yappobiscuits wrote:I don't really get this othercomic, why a basketball? Is it just a reference to how Megan gestured "this big", about the size of a basketball?
Pretty much. I think.

Note, that's two statements. Probably only one of them is true.

ergman wrote:Windows xpUNGish. Not intentional though.
Spoiler:
Wingish!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1032

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 am UTC

MULTILONGUALISMS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 08, 2014 12:37 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And happy 6100, BlitzGirl, and 1190 Zooman!

June Bug is ketching up the future again! :shock:
I think it was Neil who got to 1190 posts, not me. But thanks anyway! :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 am UTC

Well, you'll be 700 in a post. :D

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Also, did BlitzGirl see this?
MistyCat wrote:ucim gave me the gift of his Time in an earlier AotC episode.
Damn Damn Damn Damn
I praised him with faint Damns.

Guess it's not a pun, but it's pretty suspicious wordplay.
If she missed the dam, she's probably all washed up.

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

404 -- UNIVERSE NOT FOUND

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:50 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote: To be honest I don't really get this othercomic, why a basketball? Is it just a reference to how Megan gestured "this big", about the size of a basketball?

I suppose the thread on that OtherComic answers it adequately, and there's also explainxkcd.

But I believe in actually answering questions :D From this article on the recent BICEP2 discovery:

It would require a massive spurt of inflation that scientists
  could barely comprehend. In less than a trillionth of a trillionth of
  a trillionth of a second after the universe popped into existence, the
  newborn cosmos expanded from the size of a tiny subatomic particle to
  roughly the size of a basketball.

ucim wrote:
mrob27 wrote: Well, This video used 515 as a sequel.

How did you find that? Or rather, how did you know to look for it?

I saw the question about sequels and wanted to start by finding the numbers of the OtherComics that make up the existing series.
    Searching Google for "xkcd journal" (without the quotes) finds the YouTube video, and if you add the word "series" the video shows up a bit higher in the results. My browser history says I searched for "xkcd journal 5", and the same with numbers 4 and 3, in that order.

For decree: Here's something beautiful I created:

Jovilabe models

I made a working scale model (to scale in space as well as in time) of Jupiter and its moons Io, Europa and Ganymede. Then I made another model exactly 1/2 scale. All out of Legoses, with no non-LEGO parts allowed. If you like that sort of thing, there's more on my website: Orrery Designs using LEGO® Elements

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
orr-3a-big-little-1.jpg
Scale models of Jupiter and the moons Io, Europa and Ganymede
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Lost the flight and my self respect

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 08, 2014 1:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Feels like the OTT is officially back to its pre-Timeversary rate. :(

Sorry, I was tripping traveling. Unfortunately there'll be no time for the zoo anymore. :(

BlitzGirl wrote:Wait for what?

It.

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

I like BlitzGirl's hair in that comiq. The mid left instance reminds me of Minim's.

azule wrote:For some reason I was really excited to see the tower in the latest MysteryONGs. :)

And who isn't?

lmjb1964 wrote:Glad to see our ffox is back!

Actually, I saw him heading to the stands just a half dozen hours ago.
… Oh, sorry, you're talking about azule. I saw the Firefox mascot. Took a picture with it 2 years ago.

During one of the talks, for a moment all I could think was “EC-DSA… EC-NSA”.

Mr Moriarty (via lmjb1964) wrote:Why are so many raptors named after female anatomy?

Remember the OTTer usernamed after a fungus?

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Just ask for tits and they will appear.

It helps if you have beards.

Maybe I should shave less. Stall-man.

BlueCrab wrote:3D printed candy.

I've learned one of my former professors has got leukemia.
Do we 3D print blood cells yet?
Spoiler:
They've asked everyone to donate blood to him. (They didn't specify his blood type; that's good, 'cause other people need blood too.)
But I'm not sure I can. :(
First, I don't know if I'm healthy enough.
Second, I feel like passing out when I'm collecting blood for tests. For tests. That collection takes less then a minute.
I don't know if it's physiological or psychological.

The amount of blood he needs is insane. Five to eight donors per day. :shock:
We need cell printers. ASAP.

It's just a phase, though.
He's got good chances of surviving, if he goes through this.
I hope he does.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 1:09 am UTC

Nice orrery, mrob... can you add little speakers to it so it goes "MOOOOON"? ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Time Revisited - np1174

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 1:10 am UTC

UNGOVERNABLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M IN UR NEWPIXBOT, SCHIZOBLITZING UR FIRSTPOSTS

-- posted by oldpixbot

mscha

Molpy avant la lettre!

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 am UTC

MolpUNG!
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

The very first Molpy appearance in Time?
Spoiler:

Looks like it was unnoticed at the Time; and it was about a wip before the term “Molpy” was even invented...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 2:06 am UTC

I'll be Randamned, it's a primordial molpy! Treeish find, mscha!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 08, 2014 2:10 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The reason that particular case bothered me is because the wolpy's owner was walking the dog on-leash, saw the family of raptorgeese when the wolpy barked at them, and then took the leash off the wolpy so it could chase them.
:shock: Is that even legal?

Off-leash legality varies a lot. Where I live it is legal during the day, but not inside parks. The next county over, it isn't at all. What is probably not legal at all is bothering the gooseraptors. Legal or not though, there's no excuse for it. Bad for the gooseraptors, bad for that wolpy, and bad for all the other wolpies and their owners.

Not to mention that it's just dickish.

Well, yeah, but I wasn't going to mention that.

lmjb1964 wrote:When did MistyCat become addams? Were MistCat's posts always this poetic?

MistyCat has always been rather poetic. And addams is easy to channel.

lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote:For decree-ish.
Spans that need names:
The amount of time one spends frustrated before giving in and asking for help.
The amount of time before guests arrive (so the amount available to clean/get ready)
The date on which one must go into panic mode, due to the imminent arrival of said guests, and the condition of one's house. Or the reciprocal, the amount of time one spends procrastinating.

In other news, apparently I'm hosting Christmas this year.

:D If you come up with names, let me know, so I know what to call all that the next time it happens to me. :roll:

Presumably you'll get to the post with the formula soon. (Disclaimer: neither the names nor the formula actually clean houses.)

BlueCrab wrote:May I just say,
Spoiler:
I FREAKING LOVE BEING ALIVE RIGHT NOW!!! BOOM DE YADA!

Just yesterday my oldest was raving about 3D printed makeup.
I think I prefer candy.

mrob27 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote: For decree-ish.
Spans that need names:
The amount of time one spends frustrated before giving in and asking for help.
The amount of time before guests arrive (so the amount available to clean/get ready)
The date on which one must go into panic mode, due to the imminent arrival of said guests, and the condition of one's house. Or the reciprocal, the amount of time one spends procrastinating.

In other news, apparently I'm hosting Christmas this year.

:D If you come up with names, let me know, so I know what to call all that the next time it happens to me. :roll:

The mysterious unexplained letters in @SBN's posts are the names of these types of Time:

• A : The amount of time one spends frustrated before giving in and asking for help.
  • B : The amount of time before guests arrive (so the amount available to clean/get ready)
  • C : The date on which one must go into panic mode, due to the imminent arrival of said guests, and the condition of one's house. Or the reciprocal, the amount of time one spends procrastinating.

Thus, when @SBN writes:

SBN wrote: I still have a large A, and a couple weeks with a larger than usual C. (Unfortunately, in my world, C often goes negative.)

She means roughly:

Without mysterious letters, SBN wrote:I still have a large amount of time to spend being frustrated before I'll give in and ask for help, and a couple weeks with a larger than usual panic, due to the imminent arrival of guests, and the condition of my house. (Unfortunately, in my world, the panic often goes negative, causing the reciprocal, i.e. procrastination.)

See, it all makes sense now!

It makes even more sense with this post of BlueCrab's.
So it's really, I have a lot of time before the guests arrive, and for a couple of weeks I have more help than usual. (Unfortunately, in my world, the help is often a hindrance.)

My decree non-following was following two streams of consciousness, the first related to dealing with Win 8.1, and floundering around trying to learn it and teach it and the second related to having guests coming. (Guests with a fairly high level of B from the original formula.)
ggh wrote:UNGAINLY
Love this pic! Sorry I didn't do it justice.

Love it!
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Also, GLR fixed some mustard in the latest Othercomic. "Spalding" is now mirrored when it wasn't before.

Kinda wish he hadn't fixed that, it took me a while to figure out what it said... "Space"-something? "Spaceing"? ...I eventually went to get a mirror and realised it was probably "Spalding"... I'm presuming that's a manufacturer of basketballs? To be honest I don't really get this othercomic, why a basketball? Is it just a reference to how Megan gestured "this big", about the size of a basketball?

I think it should say "Wilson" (mirrored or otherwise), but I guess then it should be a volleyball.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mrob27

BETTER DEMUSTARD MY OWN CHUPAMOLPY

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:13 am UTC

mscha wrote: Looks like it was unnoticed at the Time; and it was about a wip before the term “Molpy” was even invented...

It was noted by you, here on NP565:

mscha wrote: I just noticed a small difference between frames 1174 and 1175 that I can't explain:
Spoiler:

or zoomed in:
Spoiler:

Any ideas? Note that it doesn't look like Cuegan dropped something: it appeared some time after they passed.
Molehill?

It was 7 newpix later, but I think that's within reasonable limits of "at the Time" :wink: ...
    To find this, I used my travelogue and searched for "molpy".

SBN wrote: It makes even more sense with this post of BlueCrab's.

Awww, that's too logical! :P But thanks for explaining the letters :)

(Edit: Add reply to @SBN)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Re: BETTER DEMUSTARD MY OWN CHUPAMOLPY

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 2:31 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
mscha wrote: Looks like it was unnoticed at the Time; and it was about a wip before the term “Molpy” was even invented...

It was noted by you, here on NP565:

mscha wrote: I just noticed a small difference between frames 1174 and 1175 that I can't explain:
Spoiler:

or zoomed in:
Spoiler:

Any ideas? Note that it doesn't look like Cuegan dropped something: it appeared some time after they passed.
Molehill?

It was 7 newpix later, but I think that's within reasonable limits of "at the Time" :wink: ...

I did check the Historical Records, but only for about 4np or so worth of posts.
Very embarrassing that I don't remember that. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 3:08 am UTC

ergman wrote:decree: You all make such beautiful things! Share where we can find beautiful creations of yours that aren't directly related! Words pictures or otherwise. Show something off, and invent it into being related!

Ooh, an excuse to show off? Yay! But how to make things RELATED... Hmm...

Well, The Curse of Darkling Manor, a piece I wrote for my final assignment at school, has a rough background story I sort of came up with for it which involves two characters, a girl and a boy, going off to investigate something. Also, the "Up The Clock Tower" section is clock-themed, so Timeish.

And Overture to Dystopia is the opening title theme I wrote for a radio play set in a post-apocalyptic future... one very different to the OTC world, though. It was originally supposed to be the middle part of a trilogy, but the other two were never made so it never saw the light of day, sadly...

Homeland is a piece I just wrote for myself... It's e**ish, but in a good way. From the description: "If this were from a film soundtrack, I imagine it being the final scene of the movie, a peaceful happy ending. I had in mind someone on a ship heading home after a huge journey, looking out and seeing their homeland on the horizon for the first time in ages, hence the title." Which sort of fits with t** **d of the OTC, with the raftcastle reaching their new home.

Finally, Game of Amelie is my arrangement of the Game of Thrones theme in a French style. Time is of course set in France.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 08, 2014 3:56 am UTC

Yappo, those were awesomeful! You are truly worthy of the title Mighty Troubadour

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1033

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 4:30 am UTC

CINEONGIOGRAPHY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 am UTC

Awesomeful Outside stuff, mrob and yappo!

Neat to know that the primordial molpy was noted in the Past. Our molpy hunter's reputation is intact - in fact, he's so good he found it twice! :mrgreen:

ETA a dialUNG:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu May 08, 2014 6:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 08, 2014 5:44 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Well, after the first post on newpage 836 it just couldn't go any other way.
So, like most dead people, you're dead and don't really know why.

Oh I know exactly what happened.
Spoiler:
In reaction to the first post this conversation arose:
tinosoph wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
spamjam wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
tinosoph wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
tinosoph wrote:Cueball is gonna hurt himself with all that spikes

EDIT: As pope of NewPage 836 I decree every poster and lurker of the One True Thread shall do 10 sit-ups today. And to continue the tradition of one of my predecessors, I order you all to be happy for this NewPage (in memoriam Neil_Boekend)

I'm not dead.
I don't want to go on the cart.

Oh, don't be such a baby!

I feel fine.

You're not fooling anyone, you know.

I feel happy. I feel happy.

*fwmp* Ah. thanks very much.

It was inevetable.

SBN wrote:(Counterbalanced by Largest Wolpy's insistence on chewing holes in his skin, even when wearing the cone of shame.)

Ow, that sucks. Normally I'd say keep the object they are not allowed to chew on but do so nonetheless away from the wolpy. However, with skin I would not advise such course of action.
Is the reason for this known? Operation? Mites? Scurvey? Civilisations having a war in his fur? Aliens smearing dried rose hip powder in his fur?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 08, 2014 5:49 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Holy ch*rp we can PRINT OUT CANDY.

We. Can. Print. Out. Candy.

Excuse me while I try to wrap my head around this. And drool a little bit.
Yeah :D

AluisioASG wrote:

Spoiler:
They've asked everyone to donate blood to him. (They didn't specify his blood type; that's good, 'cause other people need blood too.)
But I'm not sure I can.
Second, I feel like passing out when I'm collecting blood for tests. For tests. That collection takes less then a minute.

The amount of blood he needs is insane. Five to eight donors per day.

I hope he does.
No, not yet :( They've done bone (artificial?), tiny strips of liver, and a trachea, but no blood yet that I can find. I'm not sure it would be efficient, actually - it takes a couple of hours to print a thin layer of cells on a scaffold, then they keep that in a nutrient solution for a few days so that the cells multiply enough to make the structure stronger, I guess - I just skimmed this article. Does anyone have better search-fu on the subject?
Do you have health concerns? Certainly you should ask your doctor if you have a chronic illness, but other than that as long as you're not pregnant and don't have a bad cold or a flu, and you're not anemic - they test for that with a drop of blood - they're happy to take your donation.
I'm not sure whether or not I can donate blood either, actually. I tend toward anemia, but also I lived in Scotland from Feb. 1984 through June 1987, during the Chernobyl meltdown and the period prior to the identification of mad cow disease in the herds, and we were told on coming back to the US that we couldn't donate. I don't remember whether it was the radioactivity or the prions they were worried about though - I really need to call the Red Cross and ask them.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Time Revisited - np1179

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 6:10 am UTC

SWUNGERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:OTTIFY HARD 2: OTTIFY HARDER

-- posted by oldpixbot

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 am UTC

I would follow the decree, but I don't really have a portfolio outside of the OTT.

And Yappo, awesomeful songs. I especially liked Homeland (for some reason it reminds me of the Top Gun Anthem).

Hmm ... I wonder if the volleyball they used in that one scene was a Wilson ... then the spot on the bottom of the microwave background radiation map must be Val Kilmer's finger ... or was it Tom Hanks' hand print? Maybe the universe got Big just because it wished it ... If the universe could do that, why not the sea ... it can do whatever it wants.

[heads back toward the basement while muttering quietly about printing castles made of sand with his own slime trails]

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 6:33 am UTC

slinches wrote:And Yappo, awesomeful songs. I especially liked Homeland (for some reason it reminds me of the Top Gun Anthem).

Thanks! I suppose it does have the same soaring uplifting feel... only without the 80's cheese. :P

I originally set out to write a celtic slow air for uilleann pipes with orchestral backing, but it evolved into something more epic...

Thanks Jose and BlitzGirl too!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 08, 2014 7:02 am UTC

For pope of newpage... um... this page? Is this 1935? Wow, it's been a while since I followed a decree on the appropriate page...
When Link achieved the Rosetta Tile the other dip I was assaulted by a muse, and being almost as susceptible to those as I am to Procrastinations, I jotted some things down. I didn't take the Time to come up with names for the characters so some of them are only represented by a capital letter, and I have no idea if there's any more of the story waiting to be written. Also my phone battery's getting quite low so I'm not going to take the time to check for typos (hmm. Another monster for the manual?)

Link Tebow

Spoiler:
“X yips ago today, the OTTer known as Link became the first person ever to achieve the Rosetta Tile. And xe wasn't a member of just any OTT, either - X yips ago, there was only The One...” (fade to retrospective)

The Reporter turned to the editor: ‘Here I want to add some footage of Randall - addressing the OTTers, blessing the Glasses, that kind of thing.’

That earned xer a quizzical look from the editor: ‘There isn't anything like that, you know there isn't. Randall hasn't been Seen since before the 2048 Schism...’

Reporter looked at xer out of the corner of xer eye - xe hadn't known xe was a Tysonist* - ‘I know, and I don't care. Make some. It'll take xem at least 450 mnewpix to notice it, and by then it'll be cached in dozens of places xey can't touch.’

The editor continued, ‘...and besides, he never did any of that. The only thing like communication he had with the OTTers was to exempt them from certain filters in ModWeek in 2013. He probably played Q04B, but everyone on the InterTubes played it then, and not for prayer, either. We have no idea if he had Glasses, but he obviously has a really good Invisibility Filter, because there is no footage of him - none - since the OTT became a federally recognized religion, and that was a ‘no comment’ as he left a Starbucks.’ Xe was silent a moment. ‘I miss Starbucks,’ he murmured. ‘I miss coffee.’

The Reporter stared at xim, xer mouth open on too many things to say at once. ‘He - xe - wrote in the blag that he - xe - had been a Lurker since T** **d, that xe Blitzed the whole Needle-Pulled Thing after xe recovered from the effort of creating Time...’ xe managed.

The editor looked uncomfortable. ‘Yah,’ xe said. ‘About that...’

...this gifted amateur, the first in yips to reach the Rosetta tile and the only amateur ever to reach Chateau D'Iff.
‘So what's your secret’ A asked, as if casually, ‘I mean, no formal training; you aren't, I'm sorry, particularly strong in patterns or algorithms, you don't use any visualization-enhancing techniques or drugs - how do you do it?'
Z glanced at him, then looked away. After several hundred mnewpix, he took a breath and ventured, ‘I can trust you, right? I mean, you won't tell anyone else?’
A raised his brow ‘That would be against about 15 different journalism statutes, plus 5 or 6 media ones, and unethical besides.’ he answered.
Z took another breath and said, ‘Okay, I... Since you promise...’ A leaned closer, straining to hear the words, possibly the most lucrative secret since the identity of the father of Justin Bieber's twins. ‘I just kind of try to keep the Cues from getting isolated, that's all. Keep them from taking up too much space.’ He looked earnestly at A. ‘Sometimes I try to match something big on purpose, you know, the Beanies or something, but I'm not very good at it and it leaves lots of Cues all over the place so don't do it that much.’

*A Tysonist - member of the Church of Tyson
After the fiasco of the Cosmos reboot, Neal DeGrasse Tyson became violently anti-media.
Cosmos(New) is now a Required course for all students in Media School; the series is shown in the second half of the Journalism semester as the premiere example of both What To Do and How Not To Do It

Things I know about the background of the story:
Spoiler:
The setting is about 100 yips in the future. Randall is still alive. Academic universities are now uncommon, having been replaced by intensive university-level trade schools; Media Schools are among the most prestigious to attend. Editor went to one of the top Media Schools, equivalent to and possibly located at MIT in Boston. (MIT and Harvard University students, particularly in the Engineering department, are legendary for their pranks and have been trying to out-do each other for decades.) He was one of a group of students who managed to create a fake post in Randall's xkcd blag, and for whatever reason Randall didn't refute it or expose them, so now the fake post is cannon and no one believes the editor when he tries to argue about Randall's conversion.
‘Glasses’ are Google Glasses, and ‘Seen’ as opposed to ‘seen’ means recorded - video taped or equivalent. Invisibility Filters only make you invisible to electronics, not to eyes.
The OTT is now one of the most widespread religions, with many sub-threads and heretical upstarts. Q04B is a means of worship in the OTT, but it is everyone plays it and there are professional players. Character A plans to exploit character Z, but I'm thinking Z might be a Messianic figure, come to liberate something from something, don't know what exactly. I think Q04B may have gotten corrupted. That would explain Z's being the first non-pro in yips to reach the Rosetta Tile, anyway. Z's strategy is surprising because it's extremely simple, something a child would use when learning to play.
I like Neal deGrasse Tyson just fine even if I don't bother to see if I've spelled his name correctly. There have been some questionable choices made in the new Cosmos series. Not a big deal, he just popped into my head when the Reporter looked at the editor askance.
Oh, two more things:
Spoiler:
Climate change has continued as predicted; coffee has gone away (illegal?) because it takes stunning quantities of water to get it from coffee cherry to the point where it's ready to be roasted. Only 2% of battery left, will have to find citation and post it tomorrow!

Apologies again for any typos or incomprehensibility!

ETA: Coffee processing

There are two ways to process coffee cherries into coffee beans: dry process and wet process. The dry process may use water to wash the beans before drying and for a short fermentation to help remove an inner coating of mucilage, while the wet process uses water to wash, then sort, then pulp, then rinse, then sort again, then ferment to remove the mucilage - each step is a fresh batch of potable water. No matter how you look at it, that's a lot of water.
This page has pretty good information on the whole production process; this one has reasonably sane-sounding figures.
The biggest question I have is, why is the pulp that is removed used for mulch? Why don't we ferment that stuff? If anyOTTer knows of attempts to do so or has suggestions for where I might get hold of enough coffee cherries to make the attempt, please post it!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 7:21 am UTC

Ooh, very interesting, BlueCrab! I like your writing style. :) Definitely would be intrigued to see what comes next in the story!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1034

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 am UTC

HOUSEKEEPONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 9:16 am UTC

And so Cueganzzle and their newly acquired wheelstick set out for Mt. Doom Bluecave.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

I'm ninjaed.

Postby balthasar_s » Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Ahh, Supaplex is the name of that game, thanks! I saw it there in the screenshot, but didn't know what I was looking at. And I see it came from Boulder Dash, which was from just after I switched to playing compilers instead of arcade games :P
I didn't tell the name because it was already in the screenshot. Maybe it wasn't so obvious. But how did it happen that I made that manip? I was moving the svn repository of the NewpixbOTTification software to the new botcastle (it's all related) And then I wanted to create svn repositories for older programs too, earlier I had zip files for each version. And one of them was the program that can transfer player information (and levels) between PC and Amiga versions of the game. To do it I had to find out the file formats of Amiga Supaplex. (The file format of PC Supaplex was already known, it was even included in spfix63.doc in the SpeedFix) I had two amigas running, one with the game, one with a hex editor, and switching the game disk from one to another. So, this reminded me of the game, I started playing and then somehow the idea for that manip came to me.
O
The pope says to show my things?
I made this lamp:
Spoiler:
It's made only of things I found somewhere. A wheel from a washing machine, a kettle, and so on. When going by bike to Wrocław everyday, I sometimes find interesting things lying by the road. Sometimes very useful things. Like a torch, or super-big scisors. Cuegan are finding things from the hill people in the river. It's all related.

I made a manip of xkcd 1110. To see the difference, scroll to the left or right edge. As I said here, this is VERY RELATED. When looking at this manip I noticed the beanie. And then somehow I got the idea for my first Time/1110 manip. Then I posted it, making my first post here. I didn't expect to stay here, then.

Oh, no I've been doing it wrong!
The USD (user submission day) was to submit our own comics when there is no othercomic or what-if. I was posting other things under the name USD.
Well, actually I used the name "USD day" or "USER SUBMISSION DAY day" which is not the event itself but the day when the event is taking place. Unless when I was too late and had to use the name "User Submission Yesterday".
Edited to update URL.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Eternal Density

REMAIN TREEISH AND SCHIZOBLITZ PANTHER SALVE

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
Sorry to hear that, ED! Was wondering where you were Outside. Hope that heals up for you.

Thanks, seems to be improving, gradually. Now it's on the 'sore' end of the pain spectrum, which is definitely better.

RiverMolpy down!
ETA hilariously, I posted that before reading the next post:
ZoomanSP wrote:Get well soon, ED!
In RELATED news, last wip**d I watched the Firefly episode your avatar originates from, and I wondered why River wasn't wearing her hat.

It's all RELATED! And thanks :D
ETA
Neil_Boekend wrote:Get well soon!
Cracked means broken? How long did the endorphinesΦ prevent pain (if at all)? I hear it is usually about an hour, although it varies a lot.

Well I'm not sure when the break (if it did indeed break) occured: it just seemed bruised at the time of the fall, but about a wip later upon sitting up in bed I felt something kinda pop loose (not quite sure how to describe it) and then it really hurt...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1035

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

AVAILONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 08, 2014 12:45 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:<snip>
taixzo, maybe? wrote:No, Exactlywatt!
:D Ain't Uncle Shelby great?
<snip>
For newpage 1925's decree: don't really have any May Day plans, but I can't stop humming the The Lusty Month of May from Camelot. Little Bear keeps scolding at me to stop...
That's odd, the Google search for that video says it's Julie Andrews, but the actress is Vanessa Redgrave and the voice is Marni Nixon
<snip snip>
Meeting up with either or both of you would be great! :D Somehow your being in California didn't connect in my head with my being in San Francisco - I met with vvn last summer because he was out here :)
No worries about Fisherman's Wharf, I'll wear my gorilla mask ;)

I always loved Shel Silverstein, but I have to say that I can't read The Giving Tree anymore. Yes! Let's teach females that they should sit around while a guy keeps coming back and taking more and more from you, and then goes away and leaves you! Grrr.

Julie Andrews was in the original Broadway cast of Camelot. By the time the movie was made, she was too big of a movie start to accept the role, plus it was probably a bit of a "Ch*rp you!" to the director. He was also the guy that didn't cast her in the movie of My Fair Lady a few years earlier, even though she played the role on Broadway, because he thought she wouldn't bring people to the theater. Guess he feels stupid now. Actually, he's probably dead now, so he probably doesn't feel anything. /random musical trivia

TO be fair, He cast Audrey Hepburn. Can't really fault him for that—Andrews is an infinitely better singer, but Hepburn would have brought more people in. She is Audrey Fricken Hepburn, and she was in the prime of her beauty.
BlueCrab wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Holy ch*rp we can PRINT OUT CANDY.

We. Can. Print. Out. Candy.

Excuse me while I try to wrap my head around this. And drool a little bit.
Yeah :D

AluisioASG wrote:

Spoiler:
But I'm not sure I can.

The amount of blood he needs is insane. Five to eight donors per day.

I hope he does.
No, not yet :( They've done bone (artificial?), tiny strips of liver, and a trachea, but no blood yet that I can find. I'm not sure it would be efficient, actually - it takes a couple of hours to print a thin layer of cells on a scaffold, then they keep that in a nutrient solution for a few days so that the cells multiply enough to make the structure stronger, I guess - I just skimmed this article. Does anyone have better search-fu on the subject?
Do you have health concerns? Certainly you should ask your doctor if you have a chronic illness, but other than that as long as you're not pregnant and don't have a bad cold or a flu, and you're not anemic - they test for that with a drop of blood - they're happy to take your donation.
I'm not sure whether or not I can donate blood either, actually. I tend toward anemia, but also I lived in Scotland from Feb. 1984 through June 1987, during the Chernobyl meltdown and the period prior to the identification of mad cow disease in the herds, and we were told on coming back to the US that we couldn't donate. I don't remember whether it was the radioactivity or the prions they were worried about though - I really need to call the Red Cross and ask them.

Honestly, it's early days with a relatively new technology. It isn't really at a point where it is even widely available yet, but I really do see this technology being miraculous. THink, Being able to replace an amputees arm or leg—or cancerous bone marrow. Heck. Imagine that instead of getting fillings and root canals, they pull the tooth and then print a new, perfect one to take its place. and because it is being created, it could probably be done in such a way as to minimize withdrawal by using templates from your own DNA. I think it is coming, but a long way away. Still the promise is pretty high at this point.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm UTC

Wonderful stuff you xuys! I fell asleep listening to your songs Yappo. They were alternatively soothing and rousing. Mrob, I think I saw your orbits before, perhaps from signature browsing. Very cool.
The best invention I've ever made out of Lego was a Lego horse catapult... Which was basically a premade piece that we stuck horses into. :P

Bluecrab, neat story! Looking forward to any continuations. I love the idea of Q04B being corrupted somehow so that only the elite can win.

Edit: yeah 3d printing is awesome. If 3d printed meat becomes a readily available thing, I'll probably stop eating straight-from-the-cow meat.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Time Revisited - np1186

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

PUDDUNGLIKE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NEWPIX IS THE BEANIE OF THE WIPS

-- posted by oldpixbot

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Wonderful stuff you xuys! I fell asleep listening to your songs Yappo. They were alternatively soothing and rousing. Mrob, I think I saw your orbits before, perhaps from signature browsing. Very cool.
The best invention I've ever made out of Lego was a Lego horse catapult... Which was basically a premade piece that we stuck horses into. :P

Bluecrab, neat story! Looking forward to any continuations. I love the idea of Q04B being corrupted somehow so that only the elite can win.

Edit: yeah 3d printing is awesome. If 3d printed meat becomes a readily available thing, I'll probably stop eating straight-from-the-cow meat.

Depends entirely on two things: taste and expense. If it is as cheap as real meat, and tastes as good, then yeah, printed meat all the way. it's better for everyone but the cows.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 08, 2014 3:21 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
SBN wrote:(Counterbalanced by Largest Wolpy's insistence on chewing holes in his skin, even when wearing the cone of shame.)

Ow, that sucks. Normally I'd say keep the object they are not allowed to chew on but do so nonetheless away from the wolpy. However, with skin I would not advise such course of action.
Is the reason for this known? Operation? Mites? Scurvey? Civilisations having a war in his fur? Aliens smearing dried rose hip powder in his fur?

Not currently known It might be aliens. No civilisations have been sighted, but chemical weapons have been deployed just in case. In addition to the conical shame shield, a form fitting flexible shield has been applied to his hindquarters. (He's wearing a pair of MSWFP's undershorts, backwards, to accommodate the tail.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Thu May 08, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

Blindpost from Deutschland. There was a digital clock outside a store in Durlach that said "00:NG", but I didn't have my NewpixCaptureDevice with me.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1036

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

SPRONGLESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np1190

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

Newpix 1190 UNG...
Spoiler:
OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:WE HAD A HERESY PARTY, BUT IT TURNED OUT NOT TO BE VERY MOLPISH.

-- posted by molpyup
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

Re: Ketchup

Postby NoMouse » Thu May 08, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

Ketchup reply:
azule wrote:
NoMouse wrote:the first nuclear fusion reactor that should generate more power than it consumes
I thought that wasn't possible. Do they have it set up next to their perpetual motion machine and Time portal?

No, it's not a perpetual motion machine, it runs on hydrogen. But, the problem is, you need to create quite extreme conditions (like inside a star) to ignite fusion and to do this, you have to add extra energy into the system. Today's reactors don't produce more energy from the fusion than this extra energy needed to maintain the fusion - ITER should be the first one that will produce more. The energy from the fusion comes from the fact that when two hydrogen atoms merge into one helium atom, not all the matter is used - a tinyriverish fraction of its mass is converted directly into energy (the amount of energy released is hugeseaish, because of E=mc2). This is how nuclear fission works too, but in the case of fusion, the amount of energy is far larger, because the difference in mass between original and final product is bigger.[citation needed]

[citation needed]I'm not a nuclear physicist and I'm writing this straight out of my head, so I may be wrong. You use information in this post at your own risk.

AUTOMOME wrote:COULD SILENTONGS BE ANY MORE STEAKISH?

I don't know, could they? They are very steakish so far.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:39 pm UTC

I thought I'd post an explanation of why my ketchup is taking so long, in the form of a little ditty:

Now is the month of Maying, when lots of bands are playing
Fa la la la la la la la la la la, Fa la la la la la la
They all have stuff to hit, and so I'm in the pit.
Fa la la la la, fa la la la la la la, la la la la la

Although this is a great thing, it interferes with Waiting
Fa la la la la la la la la la la, Fa la la la la la la
But there is more, you see. There's also Q04B.§
Fa la la la la, fa la la la la la oh look, another tow'r.

Yeah, I know, it's not a perfect rhyme.º
ºWait, why did you stop to read this footnote? You'll lose the meter. Go back and read that stanza from the beginning.
§Oh, well, the meter wasn't perfect either. Never mind.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”