1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Thu May 08, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

For ZoomanSP:
Spoiler:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 08, 2014 7:27 pm UTC

slinches wrote:[heads back toward the basement while muttering quietly about printing castles made of sand with his own slime trails]
(sees slime trail) Huh, what's this? A... bumpy slime trail. The bumps look like letters of some kind, they say...ImageImageImage ImageImage? :P

yappo wrote:I originally set out to write a celtic slow air for uilleann pipes with orchestral backing, but it evolved into something more epic...
Absolutely beautiful, Yappo. How much of the music is your playing?

BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, very interesting, BlueCrab! I like your writing style. :) Definitely would be intrigued to see what comes next in the story!
Thanks :oops: I think this is the first non-assigned fiction I've shown anyone outside of my family, it's a pretty scary thing to do. But the piece definitely has a mind of its own and it jumped on Ergman's papal decree as a way to get around my roadblocks.

Yappo, how does a non-Gaelic speaker pronounce uillean? I resort to A-lin, essentially.

Edited my late-night post on np 1935 to add: Coffee processing

There are two ways to process coffee cherries into coffee beans: dry process and wet process. The dry process may use water to wash the beans before drying and for a short fermentation to help remove an inner coating of mucilage, while the wet process uses water to wash, then sort, then pulp, then rinse, then sort again, then ferment to remove the mucilage - each step is a fresh batch of potable water. No matter how you look at it, that's a lot of water.
This page has pretty good information on the whole production process; this one has reasonably sane-sounding figures.
The biggest question I have is, why is the pulp that is removed used for mulch? Why don't we ferment that stuff? If anyOTTer knows of attempts to do so or has suggestions for where I might get hold of enough coffee cherries to make the attempt, please post it!

ETA: Going out to kill as much poison ivy as I can find (on my own property, that is.) If I seem to be basement we for a while, it'll be because I'm in hospital - I'm a little allergic to it.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
yappo wrote:I originally set out to write a celtic slow air for uilleann pipes with orchestral backing, but it evolved into something more epic...

I feel kinda ashamed to admit "none of it", but well... none of it... I mean, I use sample libraries and carefully program everything note-by-note in midi, and it still took work to actually write, so it's not, contrary to popular belief, less effort or talent... just a different sort. I've always been a composer more than a performer. It's about the writing of the music for me. How it's communicated is just a means to an end.

I suppose though, in a way it's just like getting an orchestra/guest musicians to perform your piece. Only the instruments are pre-recorded and you just pick out the notes/volumes/expressions you want and put them together...

I mean, generally, if I own and am able to play the instrument(s) I've written the music for, I'll use the real thing, but in this case none of the instruments happened to be ones I owned or could play.

Though I'd love to be able to play uilleann pipes. They're on my list of "instruments I wish I could play but are just way too preposterously difficult" along with violin...

BlueCrab wrote:Yappo, how does a non-Gaelic speaker pronounce uillean? I resort to A-lin, essentially.

I've always heard it as "illen" but I don't really know what's right... Bloody Irish with their insistence on spelling words with a million extra letters that aren't pronounced! They'd like the OTT with all that redundancy...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu May 08, 2014 7:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu May 08, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

For pope ergman's decree: my choir sings polska tunes for dancers:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Is6HnbxuT84
The choir leader is Eva Rune. I am there in the inner circle somewhere.

To make it related: well, we sing two different songs that just happen to fit together.
One song is about a young and confident carpenter apprentice in love - such as may be needed in the Forty's new settlement.
The other song is the "crow dance" and claims that no bird flies higher than the crow when she sings. I find this poetic and somehow comforting, while probably not true - however, any singing crow in the Time universe can make sure it's true, simply by flying just below the top edge of the frame.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

mscha

Time Revisited - np1193

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

STEELUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I HAVE REPORTED YOU TO AFRO FOR STEALING DIPS AS IT IS A CRIME

-- posted by oldpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:For pope ergman's decree: my choir sings polska tunes for dancers:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Is6HnbxuT84
The choir leader is Eva Rune. I am there in the inner circle somewhere.

I do just love Scandinavian music! The dancing is rather too dull and dreary for me though... This is what I do - rather more energetic! I'm off-camera in that one though... Oh look, this one starts with a direct shot of me. :P That particular dance isn't quite as energetic as the first though.

How is Morris dancing RELATED you ask? One word: Thwapsticks. :P

Though we do North West style which doesn't employ thwapsticks in full force... Cotswold and Border styles have a LOT of thwapping.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1037

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

SPHONGOSINES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:

I feel kinda ashamed to admit "none of it", but well... none of it... I mean, I use sample libraries and carefully program everything note-by-note in midi, and it still took work to actually write, so it's not, contrary to popular belief, less effort or talent... just a different sort. I've always been a composer more than a performer. It's about the writing of the music for me. How it's communicated is just a means to an end.

I suppose though, in a way it's just like getting an orchestra/guest musicians to perform your piece. Only the instruments are pre-recorded and you just pick out the notes/volumes/expressions you want and put them together...

I mean, generally, if I own and am able to play the instrument(s) I've written the music for, I'll use the real thing, but in this case none of the instruments happened to be ones I owned or could play.

Though I'd love to be able to play uilleann pipes. They're on my list of "instruments I wish I could play but are just way too preposterously difficult" along with violin...

BlueCrab wrote:Yappo, how does a non-Gaelic speaker pronounce uillean? I resort to A-lin, essentially.

I've always heard it as "illen" but I don't really know what's right... Bloody Irish with their insistence on spelling words with a million extra letters that aren't pronounced! They'd like the OTT with all that redundancy...

What program did you use? I've been using MuseScore for composing, but the built-in instrument synthesizers sound...well, nowhere near as good as those.

yappobiscuits wrote:I do just love Scandinavian music!

That reminds me, I saw this yesterday and it reminded me of you (spoilered for seaishness):

Spoiler:

I might not post again for a few dips, I'm trying to finish something for post #1000.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:How is Morris dancing RELATED you ask? One word: Thwapsticks. :P

Though we do North West style which doesn't employ thwapsticks in full force... Cotswold and Border styles have a LOT of thwapping.

My son uses thwapsticks - Here is an example he is the one introducing the dance - I am brefly in camera wearing orange tatters (I don't dance).

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:What program did you use? I've been using MuseScore for composing, but the built-in instrument synthesizers sound...well, nowhere near as good as those.

Logic Pro. It's a whole professional audio production suite. The sounds themselves are bought seperately, from East West/Quantum Leap. I have their Complete Composer's Collection which is a package of seven different libraries, including their most widely known/used, Symphonic Orchestra. The pipes come from "Ra", their collection of traditional/ethnic/world instruments.

taixzo wrote:That reminds me, I saw this yesterday and it reminded me of you (spoilered for seaishness):

Spoiler:

I might not post again for a few dips, I'm trying to finish something for post #1000.

Hehe, it's a well known fact that Scandinavia is the Holy Land of metal.

Pre-emptive happy 1000!

waveney wrote:My son uses thwapsticks - Here is an example he is the one introducing the dance - I am brefly in camera wearing orange tatters (I don't dance).

Yes indeed, that's Cotswold style right there! I briefly played for a Cotswold side while I was at uni. We did a dance to that same tune.

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
waveney wrote:My son uses thwapsticks - Here is an example he is the one introducing the dance - I am brefly in camera wearing orange tatters (I don't dance).

Yes indeed, that's Cotswold style right there! I briefly played for a Cotswold side while I was at uni. We did a dance to that same tune.

Actually they are border. The tunes however are common to many styles.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

Ahh, they're easily mixed up. Especially since I don't pay too much attention to the dancing as a musician... I just saw that they didn't have painted faces which is typical of Border so presumed Cotswold :P

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:For ZoomanSP:
Spoiler:

Awwwww... So cute turtlemolpies!

taixzo wrote:That reminds me, I saw this yesterday and it reminded me of you (spoilered for seaishness):

Spoiler:

That's really interesting map. I wonder what could we deduce from that. There seems to be correlationc between climate and concentration of the metal bands (the colder climate, the more metal bands) but it doesn't apply absolutely.

cOf course, correlation does not imply causation.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu May 08, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I do just love Scandinavian music! The dancing is rather too dull and dreary for me though...

I agree that a lot of our dances are more fun to dance than to watch. But have you ever seen a Halling dance? That's definitely not me.

yappobiscuits wrote:How is Morris dancing RELATED you ask? One word: Thwapsticks. :P

Ah yes. I have actually seen thwapstick dancing live, once, on a festival on Isle of Man in the 1980s. I found it impressive and slightly silly at the same time (but I like a bit of silliness). And having seen it, made it easier for me to understand some Terry Pratchett books much later ("Lords and Ladies" and "Wintersmith").
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

mikrit wrote: I agree that a lot of our dances are more fun to dance than to watch. But have you ever seen a Halling dance? That's definitely not me.

That was just so hilarious and weird. :P Especially if you watch it with the sound off. Then it becomes a very peculiar mime routine or something.

So that this whole folk dance discussion isn't totally off topic - what traditional cultural things like music and dance do you think the Cueganites or the Beanies might have?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
mikrit wrote: I agree that a lot of our dances are more fun to dance than to watch. But have you ever seen a Halling dance? That's definitely not me.

That was just so hilarious and weird. :P Especially if you watch it with the sound off. Then it becomes a very peculiar mime routine or something.

So that this whole folk dance discussion isn't totally off topic - what traditional cultural things like music and dance do you think the Cueganites or the Beanies might have?

I was unaware that The Ministry of Silly Walks had a Dance Division.

The Beanies like Hat dances, of course.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

We need to form an OTTish Morris side. After inventing OTTish Morris of course... I think it would involve hats, thwapsticks, molpies, formations that represent Timey things like sandcastles and baobabs, condiments, punsaws, and a firm disregard for standards.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1195

Postby mscha » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

LIVELUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:DISREGARD THAT, I CH*RP PASTPOSTS

-- posted by oldpixbot

macraw83

SchizoBlitz Progress: 1497/1758

Postby macraw83 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

SchizoBlitz Report #9

This report is brought to you by the number 261.

I have been soooooooo busy for the last few wips, both at work and at home and on the wipends criss-crossing the state looking for a wedding venue and visiting mom at the hospital (wait, that's more than 2 things, whoops).

Quick recap:

Lots more puzzles (I haven't even had Time to finish the ones from Before-when yet!)

Lots more Castle-clicking evolution

Lord of the Bags 3: Return of the Bags in my pants

Not-so-quick recap:

There has been some discussion about towns and cities that have statues of various creatures scattered about, started off by the idea of having 3099 pumpkins each carved with a different newpix. Apparently there are moomolpies in a few cities in the USA (at least NYC, Chicago, and Stamford, CT), moosemolpies in Bennington, VT, Olean, NY has squirpys, and there are many others throughout NP1495. I have another example that is particularly Related: Blacksburg, VA (my current place of residence) has over 70 statues of the "Hokie Bird" (mascot of Virginia Tech, the university located in the town, which claims about 2/3 to 3/4 of the town's population as students)... one of which is covered in Lego(s):

Whizbang wrote:You know... That's actually a pretty good idea. I think I'll go and load all Time frames into my digital picture frame and have them play in sequence. I am pretty sure I can set the interval to an hour too.

Neat!

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. I might actually have a reason to buy one of those electronic photo frames now :D
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 pm UTC

For OTCish dances, there has to be a "Coma Molpy Style" in there somewhere. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1038

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 12:30 am UTC

OVERSWONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

FOREEEVVEEEEEERRRR

Postby ergman » Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 am UTC

loads of neat dances. I guess that explains your avatar, eh Mikrit?

An OTC dance would probably involve limbo; stick figures seem particularly apt for that.

An OTT dance would probably look like this:
Spoiler:
ImageOr around as awkward anyway

RSIR
Spoiler:
306364.png
306364.png (741 Bytes) Viewed 10712 times
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

AND EVER...

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 am UTC

ergman wrote:An OTT dance would probably look like this:
Spoiler:
ImageOr around as awkward anyway

BAM! IMAGE IN YOUR HEAD! FOREVER. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And so Cueganzzle and their newly acquired wheelstick set out for Mt. Doom Bluecave.
The BlueCave? Ch*rp, I haven't finished cleaning yet!

I wrote: ETA: Going out to kill as much poison ivy as I can find (on my own property, that is.) If I seem to be basement we for a while, it'll be because I'm in hospital - I'm a little allergic to it.
Basemented. Basemented :roll: Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have tried to post that with my gloves on... And poison ivy is the ‘it’ to which I am allergic.

(How much of Homecoming is your playing?)
yappobiscuits wrote:I feel kinda ashamed to admit "none of it", but well... none of it... I mean, I use sample libraries and carefully program everything note-by-note in midi, and it still took work to actually write, so it's not, contrary to popular belief, less effort or talent... just a different sort. I've always been a composer more than a performer. It's about the writing of the music for me. How it's communicated is just a means to an end.
Wow, I had no idea that digital uilleann (ch*rping autocorrect) pipes were available, so I assumed it had to be live! The skill needed to compose an orchestral piece boggles my mind, and then to also put it together from digital samples is incredible.
yappobiscuits wrote:I suppose though, in a way it's just like getting an orchestra/guest musicians to perform your piece. Only the instruments are pre-recorded and you just pick out the notes/volumes/expressions you want and put them together...
You make it sound simple, but it can't possibly be. The notes and volume maybe, but not the expressions.
yappobiscuits wrote:Bloody Irish with their insistence on spelling words with a million extra letters that aren't pronounced!
Nah, you can't call mustard on Irish if you don't also call out Scots Gaelic and Welsh! And French. And English. You know what, let's just go see what mscha's doing...

mikrit wrote:The other song is the "crow dance" and claims that no bird flies higher than the crow when she sings. I find this poetic and somehow comforting, while probably not true - however, any singing crow in the Time universe can make sure it's true, simply by flying just below the top edge of the frame.
Belial, O Mighty Crow, is this true?

mikrit wrote: I agree that a lot of our dances are more fun to dance than to watch. But have you ever seen a Halling dance?
sbn wrote:I was unaware that The Ministry of Silly Walks had a Dance Division.
:lol: Wow, that is neat! It almost looks like the dancer is challenging everyone each time he goes past, is that just the angle of the camera? He's deliberately looking at them, anyway. Gonna forward this one to my Mom, she'll love it. :D

yappobiscuits wrote:So that this whole folk dance discussion isn't totally off topic - what traditional cultural things like music and dance do you think the Cueganites or the Beanies might have?
sbn wrote: The Beanies like Hat dances, of course.
yappobiscuits wrote:We need to form an OTTish Morris side. After inventing OTTish Morris of course... I think it would involve hats, thwapsticks, molpies, formations that represent Timey things like sandcastles and baobabs, condiments, punsaws, and a firm disregard for standards.
I think possibly “a firm disregard for standards” and Morris dancing are a dangerous combination incompatible, maybe?
BlitzGirl wrote:For OTCish dances, there has to be a "Coma Molpy Style" in there somewhere.
ergman wrote:An OTC dance would probably involve limbo; stick figures seem particularly apt for that.
So hat dances, limbo, Morris (bells, Yappo? or silent?) including thwapsticks of course, a “Coma Molpy Style,” and limbo. I think The Forty would have dances representing their conflict with the hill people - that could cover both thwapsticks and limbo.
What kind of dances would the new, combined tribe have?
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1039

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 am UTC

WEATHERSTRIPPONGS...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

ENAP: 1 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 5:25 am UTC

Title text just changed back to "..." in the SilentONGs.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikrit

Re: FOREEEVVEEEEEERRRR

Postby mikrit » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 am UTC

ergman wrote:loads of neat dances. I guess that explains your avatar, eh Mikrit?

Yay! I have been hatted! And my partner has been hooded/bonneted/wimpled! Thank you very much, now I truly feel like an OTTer. (I shall update my avatar when I get on a less mobile TimeAccessor.)

The dance in my avatar is a slängpolska.

On a related note, some days ago I saw a friend wearing a nice black beanie with thin horizontal white lines. My first thought was that she looked exactly like miss Frizzle's mother (probably). But I didn't try to explain that to her.

(Also, that was a cute drawing you made of mscha and BG dancing.)

ETA: the purpose of the Halling dance is really to impress the pretty girls with your acrobatic skills, not to make them laugh. Oh well, I suppose it only works on Norwegian girls. Maybe this halling is more impressive - it is slightly RELATED because it has very OTT-stylish black hat on a long pole that could be used to extract BraveBeans from caves.
Last edited by mikrit on Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1204

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 am UTC

BUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:404 - CUEGANITE NOT FOUND

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 7:18 am UTC

New Othercomic is up. Note the Beanish Image symbols in the wheels.
Are they actually curved arrows? Possibly. But I choose to believe that train Cueball's riding is a Beanish invention. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1040

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 am UTC

RONGWOOD...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 9:01 am UTC

The right set of beesnakes looks like a face with bulging eyeballs and a goatee.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 am UTC

The other thing I wanted to blindpost: Lederhosen. Many lederhosen.

I immediately thought of toasters, and now I'm hungry.
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:For pope of newpage... um... this page? Is this 1935? Wow, it's been a while since I followed a decree on the appropriate page...
When Link achieved the Rosetta Tile the other dip I was assaulted by a muse, and being almost as susceptible to those as I am to Procrastinations, I jotted some things down. I didn't take the Time to come up with names for the characters so some of them are only represented by a capital letter, and I have no idea if there's any more of the story waiting to be written. Also my phone battery's getting quite low so I'm not going to take the time to check for typos (hmm. Another monster for the manual?)

Typo
Animated Object, Small
Size/Type: Small Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 70 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–4
Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, invisibility; spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will –5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con —, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Pair, pack(3-5), autocorrect(too many to count)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

this creature is the creation of a prankster Wizard who liked nothing better (and presumably had nothing better to do with his time...) than to embarrass unsuspecting victims by making them write rubbish

spell-like abilities
at will: Minor Confusion
5/xip: Greater Haste
1/xip: Teleport

Combat
Most of the time, the Typo will use its natural invisibility to approach its victim, cast a Minor confusion, and run off unnoticed.
When noticed, it will cast Greater Haste on itself and dash for the nearest exit. If cornered, the Typo will use Teleport to escape to safety.
Only if completely unable to escape will the Typo resort to actual fighting.

BlueCrab wrote:Link Tebow
Spoiler:
“X yips ago today, the OTTer known as Link became the first person ever to achieve the Rosetta Tile. And xe wasn't a member of just any OTT, either - X yips ago, there was only The One...” (fade to retrospective)

The Reporter turned to the editor: ‘Here I want to add some footage of Randall - addressing the OTTers, blessing the Glasses, that kind of thing.’

That earned xer a quizzical look from the editor: ‘There isn't anything like that, you know there isn't. Randall hasn't been Seen since before the 2048 Schism...’

Reporter looked at xer out of the corner of xer eye - xe hadn't known xe was a Tysonist* - ‘I know, and I don't care. Make some. It'll take xem at least 450 mnewpix to notice it, and by then it'll be cached in dozens of places xey can't touch.’

The editor continued, ‘...and besides, he never did any of that. The only thing like communication he had with the OTTers was to exempt them from certain filters in ModWeek in 2013. He probably played Q04B, but everyone on the InterTubes played it then, and not for prayer, either. We have no idea if he had Glasses, but he obviously has a really good Invisibility Filter, because there is no footage of him - none - since the OTT became a federally recognized religion, and that was a ‘no comment’ as he left a Starbucks.’ Xe was silent a moment. ‘I miss Starbucks,’ he murmured. ‘I miss coffee.’

The Reporter stared at xim, xer mouth open on too many things to say at once. ‘He - xe - wrote in the blag that he - xe - had been a Lurker since T** **d, that xe Blitzed the whole Needle-Pulled Thing after xe recovered from the effort of creating Time...’ xe managed.

The editor looked uncomfortable. ‘Yah,’ xe said. ‘About that...’

...this gifted amateur, the first in yips to reach the Rosetta tile and the only amateur ever to reach Chateau D'Iff.
‘So what's your secret’ A asked, as if casually, ‘I mean, no formal training; you aren't, I'm sorry, particularly strong in patterns or algorithms, you don't use any visualization-enhancing techniques or drugs - how do you do it?'
Z glanced at him, then looked away. After several hundred mnewpix, he took a breath and ventured, ‘I can trust you, right? I mean, you won't tell anyone else?’
A raised his brow ‘That would be against about 15 different journalism statutes, plus 5 or 6 media ones, and unethical besides.’ he answered.
Z took another breath and said, ‘Okay, I... Since you promise...’ A leaned closer, straining to hear the words, possibly the most lucrative secret since the identity of the father of Justin Bieber's twins. ‘I just kind of try to keep the Cues from getting isolated, that's all. Keep them from taking up too much space.’ He looked earnestly at A. ‘Sometimes I try to match something big on purpose, you know, the Beanies or something, but I'm not very good at it and it leaves lots of Cues all over the place so don't do it that much.’

*A Tysonist - member of the Church of Tyson
After the fiasco of the Cosmos reboot, Neal DeGrasse Tyson became violently anti-media.
Cosmos(New) is now a Required course for all students in Media School; the series is shown in the second half of the Journalism semester as the premiere example of both What To Do and How Not To Do It

Things I know about the background of the story: The setting is about 100 yips in the future. Randall is still alive. Academic universities are now uncommon, having been replaced by intensive university-level trade schools; Media Schools are among the most prestigious to attend. Editor went to one of the top Media Schools, equivalent to and possibly located at MIT in Boston. (MIT and Harvard University students, particularly in the Engineering department, are legendary for their pranks and have been trying to out-do each other for decades.) He was one of a group of students who managed to create a fake post in Randall's xkcd blag, and for whatever reason Randall didn't refute it or expose them, so now the fake post is cannon and no one believes the editor when he tries to argue about Randall's conversion.
‘Glasses’ are Google Glasses, and ‘Seen’ as opposed to ‘seen’ means recorded - video taped or equivalent. Invisibility Filters only make you invisible to electronics, not to eyes.
The OTT is now one of the most widespread religions, with many sub-threads and heretical upstarts. Q04B is a means of worship in the OTT, but it is everyone plays it and there are professional players. Character A plans to exploit character Z, but I'm thinking Z might be a Messianic figure, come to liberate something from something, don't know what exactly. I think Q04B may have gotten corrupted. That would explain Z's being the first non-pro in yips to reach the Rosetta Tile, anyway. Z's strategy is surprising because it's extremely simple, something a child would use when learning to play.
I like Neal deGrasse Tyson just fine even if I don't bother to see if I've spelled his name correctly. There have been some questionable choices made in the new Cosmos series. Not a big deal, he just popped into my head when the Reporter looked at the editor askance.
Oh, two more things:
Spoiler:
Climate change has continued as predicted; coffee has gone away (illegal?) because it takes stunning quantities of water to get it from coffee cherry to the point where it's ready to be roasted. Only 2% of battery left, will have to find citation and post it tomorrow!
Apologies again for any typos or incomprehensibility!

Steakish story BlueCrab !
yappobiscuits wrote:

My thoughts exactly :mrgreen:
I reckon Ireland is infested by Typos ^^

Random thought on the SilentONGs : that wheelpole looks an awful lot like a giant fishing rod

Edit : s/Dimension Door/Teleport/g (more appropriate)
Last edited by karhell on Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 09, 2014 9:40 am UTC

karhell wrote:Random thought on the SilentONGs : that wheelpole looks an awful lot like a giant fishing rod

Good point. Maybe they are going to fish for the Zombeany so they don't have to enter the Blue Cave.
Of course the Zombeany is going to pull them into the Blue Cave along with the fishing rod. Thus end the SilentOngs.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 10:11 am UTC

The cave is probably blue because it's full of water and fishmolpies.

The Typo sounds like an adorable monster. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri May 09, 2014 10:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The Typo sounds like an adorable monster. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to make it a horrible Abomination from Hell ^^

Edit : s/form/from/g (That's how they thank me, eh ? )
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 am UTC

Typo's are often found alongside foreign leopards
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 am UTC

Now I can think of copyediting work as pest extermination.

"Come here, you mini-mustards!"
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1208

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 am UTC

GATHERUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:DIAL S FOR SILENTONGS

-- posted by oldpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 am UTC

HES wrote:Typo's are often found alongside foreign leopards

For a foreign leopard, take a standard one, give it a funny accent, a phrasebook, maybe a camera, and voilà ^^

BlitzGirl wrote:Now I can think of copyediting work as pest extermination.

"Come here, you mini-mustards!"

And now, I'm picturing you running around an apparently empty office, swinging a thwapstick at random ^^

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”