1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 11:18 am UTC

karhell wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Now I can think of copyediting work as pest extermination.

"Come here, you mini-mustards!"

And now, I'm picturing you running around an apparently empty office, swinging a thwapstick at random ^^

Hehehe. :mrgreen: Thwap-a-typo!

Optonal decree:
Put one intentional Typo in your post.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 09, 2014 11:21 am UTC

And now so am I. The manip well have to wait until I'm back in the same country as my PrimaryTimeAccessor
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 am UTC

Luckily OTTers are good at Waiting for things. They're manips are probably patient as well.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:00 pm UTC

Keught up! Spotty responses here, I had other but they must have been saved on my other computer. And excuse any typos (cute little monsters!) or gibberish, I'm falling asleep as I write this.

trpmb6 wrote:I am really surprised that nobody commented on here that the new COSMOS had a reference to the filling of the mediterranean sea, even showing the same trees (logically) that Randall used in this comic. As soon as I saw it on TV, I told my wife "It's the Time Comic!!!"

Ooh, a new Revealer the Recent! Welcome! I haven't been watching Cosmos, but I might have to check this out.

ergman wrote:This mediocre finale!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
journal5DO.png

That's awesomeful! The series was steakish!

azule wrote:
BC wrote:Then they both grew, and she ended up a D. A bit much, she says.
Why would someone ever say that? It's not even a DD, so it sounds reasonable to me.

Yeah, well, you aren't the one carrying them around.

BlitzGirl wrote:I call Blitzus Annoyus on the oldpixpope, because only about 3 UNGs out of the next 20 or so are particularly interesting (the ones with dialogue).

Oh ch*rp, I've been ninja'd. Does Blitzus Annoyus still work?

I never knew what Blitzus Annoyus is. I could look in the wiki, but I'm lazy.

Re: OtherComic 1365. Oh, Spalding. I couldn't read it, and it said something about Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny, so I thought it said Space Jam. Makes much more sense now.

SBN, I loved the picture of your wolpy i the cone of shame. That is such a sad wolpy! Don't tell him I laughed when I saw that picture...

Thanks, mrob, for reminding me what all the letters in SBN's posts were referring to. I did vaguely remember what they all referred to, though I was too lazy to go back and look it up for sure. I was thinking someone might come up with more descriptive names than just the letters, but I can't come up with anything. So letters it is.

Beauiful OTColored, ergman!

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And happy 6100, BlitzGirl, and 1190 Zooman!

June Bug is ketching up the future again! :shock:
I think it was Neil who got to 1190 posts, not me. But thanks anyway! :)

Oops. Blame it on all these Time-traveling OTTers. They must have disrupted something in the space-time continuum, and it's affecting my ketchup.

I'm sure that's it.

But, uh, happy 700!

Treeish Lego thing, mrob.

Aluisio, I'm sorry to hear about your teacher and I wish him all the best. Giving blood is not so bad, but do check on whether you can or not.

I loved your music you posted, yappo. And Blue Crab, what a steakish story!

Dracomax wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Julie Andrews...original Broadway cast of Camelot. By the time the movie was made, she was too big of a movie start to accept the role, plus it was probably a bit of a "Ch*rp you!" to the director. He was also the guy that didn't cast her in the movie of My Fair Lady a few years earlier, even though she played the role on Broadway, because he thought she wouldn't bring people to the theater. Guess he feels stupid now. Actually, he's probably dead now, so he probably doesn't feel anything. /random musical trivia

TO be fair, He cast Audrey Hepburn. Can't really fault him for that—Andrews is an infinitely better singer, but Hepburn would have brought more people in. She is Audrey Fricken Hepburn, and she was in the prime of her beauty.

Yeah, nothing against Audrey. she's great. And it was another job for Marni Nixon.

BlitzGirl wrote:Holy ch*rp we can PRINT OUT CANDY.

We. Can. Print. Out. Candy.

Excuse me while I try to wrap my head around this. And drool a little bit.

I need a candy printer, stat!

There was lots of other cool stuff-the Bong ottifications, the dancing discussion, and I know there was a long post that I needed to repond to but it didn't save, or something. And I can hardly keep by eyes open, so I really must coma. I need to molpy up in about 3 longpix. Argh.
Molpy downzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

edit to fix quote mustard. I'm surprised there weren't more considering I was half a-coma when I posted.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri May 09, 2014 5:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Blitzreport 17, 653/1370 1691/1937

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 09, 2014 12:07 pm UTC

Blitzreport 17, 653/1370 1691/1937
Do you prefer these spoilered or not?
All other blitzposts: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bothasar_s/
Random thoughts and notes from the blitz (#17) of newpages 602÷653, illustrated.
So many new, good hats from Buffygirl!
Again, just ask yourself: What Would StratPlayer Say?

Digging back through my old disc collection I discovered this previously unseen historical artifact. Sourced from a pre-web viewdata service, it was saved, then forgotten.
Perhaps the OTC has existed for all "Time" and we just noticed it in March.
Perhaps at some time in the far distant past there was a Big B'ONG, and the OTC sprang into existence in a flash of heat and light (#000000, and #ffffff). Ah, what then?

The pelting with chocolate and skittlse and M&Ms for heresy begins.
There are 3 standards for day already: xip, dip, dix, icositetranewpix.
My text is larger than yours! - BBcode tricks.
The "Archbishop of the Past" temporal disturbance continues

puns.
Edited to update URL
Added: For the record, in case y'all have ever wondered, putting the URL tags outside the SPOILER tags is a bad, bad idea, and should not be done. Says KarMann, long before Spurlers!
Remember the firstposts.
Chapter 3
The river does what it must, so the sea can do what it wants.
Newpage 610 smiley repository.
What does the skeleton of a stick figure look like?
Well, that totally narrows their location down

I never got the American use of "legos"... to me, they are pieces/parts/sets of lego. If you have a sand pit, you don't say it's full of sands... [/flamebait]

I don't know about that, I am sure given enough time we could make our own language that would be far less consistent then any sane person would even attempt to create.

Puns are getting strong, again. the Bag Incident of Newpage 467 is remembered. finally.
Also, the first punsaw,
Neat pre-Lucky.
I always read that "MWAH!" as the start of an evil laugh

Lmjb1964 creates the word awfulsome on np620:
You guys are posting too much cool stuff, and too many awfulesome puns.
I hope that the tree isn't a baobab.

FTFY FTFY FTFY ... catraptor
Vytron stops blitzposting?
I wonder if they will encounter civilization on their journey?

Magnification doesn't help much, it's just a handful of pixels:
Don't just stand there... enhance!
OMR, is it ... could it be ... a Compy?
ENHANCE!

This molpy is quite riverish.
Everybody just starts using the word "molpy"

Burma shave spoiler!
Ketchup present from BlitzGirl!
Act 1, Scene 4

Poor Cueball - Megan left him for a tree...
can't we just standardize footnotes, so that 1 is always big, 2 is small and 3 is neat? That'll save some typing.
Just add them to your signature, and be sure to use them in all your posts so that people won't wonder what they're doing there.
Newpage 631 smiley repository

It is possible that the mustard-berries will poison the brain-eating amoeba in Cueball's head.
I'm just going to call myself the Mopey Molpy Mome for this newpage.

River model

Enhance! Again!
Also, first real redundaspoiler?
Come, my molpy army! We go to war!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rule110 - The Alt-Text

THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE.
OR WERE.
I FOUND SOME SORT OF CAMPSITE.

ttscp: Thoughts on the OTC and the nature of Story
HES: Hotel California "Randall's One True Comic"
but when he noticed (heard through the grapevine? saw for himself?) what the OTC had created, he changed his mind and added another scene.

mscha's OTColor
Row it a fit...
Okay, if someone creates a compressed version of the OTT that's longer than the OTT, while not adding any information, junk or otherwise, that would be impressive.

LEGO
Dark lord.
The Heretical Comic!
I might have to make my avatar animated, to show the original, the buffyhatted, the BlitzDeYadaed, and the THCed.
GLR makes an userscript.
HES: Comics for all!

>I, at least, will be checking in here every once in a while after the OTC reaches its conclusion. And if the Powers That Be get angry at us for being off-topic, we can start a thread in the General subforum.
Or we keep it ontopix by creating fanmods on the newpix(hour) or once a xip(day) ad infinitum. Then we talk as we normally do, and enjoy "newpix", and never have to worry about those messy OtherForums.

THE molpy,
molpy,
molpy.

[Scene 5: exterior, day, wide shot]
Holy Arrow of Armageddon!

Aw, it's not nearly as much fun when you can tell what they are without ENHANCE.
Of course, it mentions a topic that has come up in the OTT. But that proves nothing; every topic Randall might use has came up by now.

THIS PLACE IS BEAUTIFUL
YEAH

I'M SURPRIZED WE HAVEN'T BEEN SEEN BY ANY PEOPLE YET
Megan and Cueball are ninjas. QED.
is it illegal to try and understand everything in Megball world?
I suddenly think they are convicts on the run! They stole those boards from IKEA, oh the humanity.....

The standards. They are multiplying.

IF IT'S THIS EMPTY WE SHOULD LIVE HERE.

Image !!!
In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

Slightly less random thoughts and notes from the blitz #17
Acts of the Clerics.
At some point, after joining the thread, I started reading the new Acts. Then I wanted to read the earlier ones. But I didn't feel them. And I stopped. But now, with the context of the blitzed newpages they're very much better!

Detabase.
Why is nobody else adding ottifications to the database?
I think I knom the most important indirect reason for this.
I think I know how this can be changed.
I think I'm going to send a PM to Sciscitor.

Somewhere in one of the earlier blitzes, StratPlayer (after calling 341 the PI newpage) says that in his made up base π = 3.41.
KarMann calculated that it would be base 28.49787915. If we somehow accept fractional bases.
Now I have more to add:
π can be rounded to 3.41 in any base that belongs to the range: [28.3750497; 28.62020328).
first 3 digits of π are 3.41 in any base that belongs to the range: [28.49787915; 28.74150373).
End of blitzreport 17, 653/1370 1691/1937
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
VITSSÅGEN, JA!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image

Shouldn't it be:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Image Image
?

Redundant,
Spoiler:
treegan.PNG
treegan.PNG (1.95 KiB) Viewed 10285 times

treegan2.PNG
treegan2.PNG (6.75 KiB) Viewed 10285 times

ptaki.PNG
ptaki.PNG (1.3 KiB) Viewed 10285 times

ptakrólik.PNG
ptakrólik.PNG (2.3 KiB) Viewed 10285 times
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Dracomax

Re: Ketchup

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 09, 2014 12:18 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Ketchup reply:
azule wrote:
NoMouse wrote:the first nuclear fusion reactor that should generate more power than it consumes
I thought that wasn't possible. Do they have it set up next to their perpetual motion machine and Time portal?

No, it's not a perpetual motion machine, it runs on hydrogen. But, the problem is, you need to create quite extreme conditions (like inside a star) to ignite fusion and to do this, you have to add extra energy into the system. Today's reactors don't produce more energy from the fusion than this extra energy needed to maintain the fusion - ITER should be the first one that will produce more. The energy from the fusion comes from the fact that when two hydrogen atoms merge into one helium atom, not all the matter is used - a tinyriverish fraction of its mass is converted directly into energy (the amount of energy released is hugeseaish, because of E=mc2). This is how nuclear fission works too, but in the case of fusion, the amount of energy is far larger, because the difference in mass between original and final product is bigger.[citation needed]

[citation needed]I'm not a nuclear physicist and I'm writing this straight out of my head, so I may be wrong. You use information in this post at your own risk.

AUTOMOME wrote:COULD SILENTONGS BE ANY MORE STEAKISH?

I don't know, could they? They are very steakish so far.

I was under the impression that fission primarily produced energy by liberating alpha, beta, and gamma particles from the sudden liberation of unstable neutron loads. It sustains itself through the use of the freed neutrons, which are traveling at very high speed, and knock more nuetrons off of other fissile material, causing the fundemental instability of those fissile elements to unbalance, thus sustaining the reaction. I think the radiation comes from energy state decay caused by the lower proton numbers of the resulting products, but I could be wrong, as I too am not a (professional—anyone who does science is a)scientist, merely a science enthusiast.

according to the other wiki,
"The origin of the energy released in fusion of light elements is due to an interplay of two opposing forces, the nuclear force which combines together protons and neutrons, and the Coulomb force which causes protons to repel each other. The protons are positively charged and repel each other but they nonetheless stick together, demonstrating the existence of another force referred to as nuclear attraction. This force, called the strong nuclear force, overcomes electric repulsion in a very close range. The effect of this force is not observed outside the nucleus, hence the force has a strong dependence on distance, making it a short-range force. The same force also pulls the neutrons together, or neutrons and protons together.[2] Because the nuclear force is stronger than the Coulomb force for atomic nuclei smaller than iron and nickel, building up these nuclei from lighter nuclei by fusion releases the extra energy from the net attraction of these particles. For larger nuclei, however, no energy is released, since the nuclear force is short-range and cannot continue to act across still larger atomic nuclei. Thus, energy is no longer released when such nuclei are made by fusion; instead, energy is absorbed in such processes."
Which implies that in that case, matter annhialation/conversion is limited and not particularly important part of energy production either.

Also, to note, Cold fusion has been achieved, via muon calyzed fusion. it just never produces more energy than is necessary to maintain it, and is unpredictable and unstable.

science is cool. especially when it gets very, very hot, very, very quickly. 8-)
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 pm UTC

karhell wrote:spell-like abilities
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlueCrab wrote: Absolutely beautiful, Yappo. How much of the music is your playing?

I feel kinda ashamed to admit "none of it", but well... none of it... I mean, I use sample libraries and carefully program everything note-by-note in midi, and it still took work to actually write, so it's not, contrary to popular belief, less effort or talent... just a different sort. I've always been a composer more than a performer. It's about the writing of the music for me. How it's communicated is just a means to an end.

I listened to your wonderful pieces, yappo, and kept going a bit, and BlueCrab, if you want to hear some yappo playing, might I suggest a listen to his Finish? And BlueCrab, please please please keep going with your story!

Kieryn - heeheehee!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1041

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

FOLKSONGONGS...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri May 09, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

:shock:
So used to reeding Monster Manual entries, the pun completely failed to register.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mscha

Time Revisited - np1210

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

REHOUSUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:404 - MYSTERYONG NOT FOUND

-- posted by oldpixbot

karhell

Re: Time Revisited - np1210

Postby karhell » Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 pm UTC

ARRUNGES...

AUTOMOME wrote:SAVE THE SQUIRPIES, SAVE THE WORLD

-- posted by obligation to dialog
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri May 09, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

THINKUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Molpydownunder.
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

So it looks like we've reached the "parking lot." I guess this is another old seabed phenomenon as are the dunes.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1042

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

LAUGHONGLY...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri May 09, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

Yikes, I am wy too slow.
Spoiler:
I blame staying up too late. Molpy down!
rsir:
Spoiler:
cleverCue1213.jpg

ETA: Oh, Zooman, so cute!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 09, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

Treeish, ggh!

Wouldn't there be a bunch of shipwrecks and stuff on the bottom of the meditiranian?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I suppose though, in a way it's just like getting an orchestra/guest musicians to perform your piece. Only the instruments are pre-recorded and you just pick out the notes/volumes/expressions you want and put them together...
You make it sound simple, but it can't possibly be. The notes and volume maybe, but not the expressions.

Well, how they make these sample libraries/virtual instruments is they record the instrument or group playing every note one by one at various levels of volume and with various techniques/expressions. So if you imagine they're sampling an instrument that has a three octave range, that's 36 notes. Then let's say they decided on 10 separate volume levels. That's 360 samples they'd have to record. Then let's say it's a stringed instrument so capable of legato, staccato, pizzicato, and col legno. So that makes 1440 samples to record in total for just that one instrument. And then they have to make sure the recordings are all of the same high quality and consistency so that they can be put together to sound like a real performance, and then they map the samples to midi so that it becomes a full virtual instrument which you can play via a keyboard, or program in a sequencer. It's a long and tedious process to make such sample libraries, which is why good ones are so expensive...
BlueCrab wrote:Wow, I had no idea that digital uilleann (ch*rping autocorrect) pipes were available, so I assumed it had to be live! The skill needed to compose an orchestral piece boggles my mind, and then to also put it together from digital samples is incredible.

Well they are live in theory, as explained above. :P
BlueCrab wrote:So hat dances, limbo, Morris (bells, Yappo? or silent?) including thwapsticks of course, a “Coma Molpy Style,” and limbo. I think The Forty would have dances representing their conflict with the hill people - that could cover both thwapsticks and limbo.
What kind of dances would the new, combined tribe have?

Bells yes, because ONG! :P
BlitzGirl wrote:New Othercomic is up. Note the Beanish Image symbols in the wheels.
Are they actually curved arrows? Possibly. But I choose to believe that train Cueball's riding is a Beanish invention. Image

Hehe, I love this othercomic. I also like to think of trains in this way!

They're definitely arrows, but it could still be a Beanish train. We know they have rather more advanced technology than the Cueganites...
ggh wrote:if you want to hear some yappo playing, might I suggest a listen to his Finish?

Oh yeah there's that too, I'd have included that among my links as it is another of my favourite creations, only it's 15 minutes long so decided to stick with shorter ones. It could be RELATED though! The original song comes from a concept album about a group of survivors in a post-apocalyptic world, travelling to find safety or civilisation...

And I was about to correct your typo before I remembered the dicree. :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

ENAP: 1 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

Sure you were, Cue. :P Neat manip, ggh!
(Was ninja'd a couple Times on this, it's a direct response to the manipped UNG.)

I like your little excalmation-point moments, balthistory.

balthasar_s wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
VITSSÅGEN, JA!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image

Shouldn't it be:
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Image Image
?

You're absolutely right! Don't know what I was thinking.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

:shock:
So used to reeding Monster Manual entries, the pun completely failed to register.

I've never read a Monster Manual entries, but I still missed it.

ZoomanSP wrote:THINKUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Cue is thinking? That can't end well. :shock:

ZoomanSP wrote:Molpydownunder.
Spoiler:

D'aww!

ergman wrote:Treeish, ggh!

Wouldn't there be a bunch of shipwrecks and stuff on the bottom of the meditiranian?

Good point, although maybe the shipwrecks have all been scavenged to make scaffolding and whatnot.

Seconded on the treeish, ggh, and if there are any manips of yours I missed saying that about, consider it implyed. They're all awesomeful.

I enjoyed reading balthacycle's blitz report, as always.

Also for decree:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
sign.jpg
The church up the street from me apparently shops at Church Signs R Us. They always have something, um, entertaining. As I said when I posted this on FB: I'm not convinced. Even if we assume God is capable of typos, you'd think he could afford better proofreaders.

edited to make comment more understandbler.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Re: ENAP: 1 so far

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You're absolutely right! Don't know what I was thinking.

Redundant!
Spoiler:
justhink.png
justhink.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 10063 times

redun-blitzgan.png
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:

Redundant!
Spoiler:
justhink.png

redun-blitzgan.png

Hilari-frickin'-ous.

A local restaurant graciously provided me with another typo in the subject of their email:

"Bottomless Mimosa's for Mother's Day Weekend!"
Maybe there's someone named Mimosa who doesn't wear pants, and we're supposed to go to her house Mother's Day Weekend. Maybe I'm just reading it all wrong. Although, really, I don't want to spend Mother's Day weekend with someone running around with no pants. :shock:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Revisited - np1216

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

LUNGOTS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I POSTED ALL THE KETCHUP

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri May 09, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Typo Animated Object, Small (snip)
Neat!
karhell wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: The Typo sounds like an adorable monster.

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to make it a horrible Abomination from Hell ^^
Edit : s/form/from/g (That's how they thank me, eh ? )
Small is how they ride around on your fingers without you noticing...
karhell wrote:Steakish story BlueCrab !
Thanks!
karhell wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: Now I can think of copyediting work as pest extermination. "Come here, you mini-mustards!"
And now, I'm picturing you running around an apparently empty office, swinging a thwapstick at random ^^
That's definitely my style, too :D

lmjb wrote:
azule wrote:
BC wrote: wrote: Then they both grew, and she ended up a D. A bit much, she says.

Why would someone ever say that? It's not even a DD, so it sounds reasonable to me.
Forgot to respond to this - thanks, lmjb :) What she said, Azule! Also my friend is only 5 feet tall, which makes a difference.
lmjb1964 wrote:I loved your music you posted, yappo. And Blue Crab, what a steakish story!
Yappo's amazing, isn't he? And thank you! I'm tickled that at least two people have called it steakish 8-)
lmjb wrote:I need a candy printer, stat!
I think the current printers can only do one substance at a time, though - they need to develop one with more than one hopper, so that we can print out filled candies useful and life-changing medical objects. Yeah! And chocolates with filled centers, yum.

For Pope:
BlueCrab wrote:When you input text, typos get everywhere.
Every Time I post, I find a typo in my text. Let me show you.

I know it's here somewhere...

I can't hit submit 'til I find that typo!

typo wrote:Silly me. I forgot to put it in there.

image.jpg
Garfield 14/1/1979
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Yappo's amazing, isn't he?

:oops: :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
Redundant!
Spoiler:

Alas! I've been Cueball'd! Image
Excelent work, balthasteak!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
I think the current printers can only do one substance at a time, though - they need to develop one with more than one hopper, so that we can print out filled candies useful and life-changing medical objects. Yeah! And chocolates with filled centers, yum.

We seem to be pretty close:
http://discovermagazine.com/2014/june/6-brain-surgery-with-zero-risk-via-3-d-printer
Apologies if you can't access the full text.

Not sure if it will help me or not, but I found a site entitled Unch*rp your habitat. (Only not in OTTish.) Seems to be about what I need.

yappobiscuits wrote:

It occurs to me, I'm so uncreative that I don't have the ability to fully appreciate the creative stuff here. I mean, I just click a couple times and there it is, so you must just click a couple times to create it, right?

Assume enjoyment and appreciation of all the things.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 09, 2014 8:25 pm UTC

I had a RELATED dream last night.

I was in a place with a bunch of other people, some of whom I know in real life, and I guess there was some OTTers there too... ChronosDragon was apparently there, although I didn't see him, but he was mentioned. We were doing various things, including building sandcastles, even though we were inside a building. Three sandcastles were built, on rolling platforms. Though they weren't all castle shaped; I think the one on the left was, and I don't remember what the middle one looked like.

At the end of the event, everybody gathered to have our picture taken together. One little girl, who I'll call "LaPetite", decided that one of the sandcastles should be in the picture. She ran to get the sand castle/sculpture/whatever on the right, which was in the shape of an SUV, and came back driving it. (So you see, she drove a carcastle, just like LaPetite drove a raftcastle.) Her reason for wanting the sculpture in the picture: "You chronos'd!", which was "you promised", but a pun on ChronosDragon. (That's where CD was mentioned in this dream.) Dream-me found this pun hilarious. It took me a few minutes after I woke up to realize that it didn't even make any sense. :P

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
Redundant!
Spoiler:

It's BlitzBall!

That sounds like the name of a hotdog...
SBN wrote:It occurs to me, I'm so uncreative that I don't have the ability to fully appreciate the creative stuff here. I mean, I just click a couple times and there it is, so you must just click a couple times to create it, right?

Oh yeah, just one or two clicks. :P

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1043

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

EXTONGUISHER...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Re: 1190: "Tiem"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
SBN wrote:It occurs to me, I'm so uncreative that I don't have the ability to fully appreciate the creative stuff here. I mean, I just click a couple times and there it is, so you must just click a couple times to create it, right?

Yup, I can confirm this.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
lmjb wrote:
azule wrote:
BC wrote: wrote: Then they both grew, and she ended up a D. A bit much, she says.

Forgot to respond to this - thanks, lmjb :) What she said, Azule! Also my friend is only 5 feet tall, which makes a difference. <snippety>

For Pope:
Spoiler:
BlueCrab wrote:When you input text, typos get everywhere.
Every Time I post, I find a typo in my text. Let me show you.

I know it's here somewhere...

I can't hit submit 'til I find that typo!

typo wrote:Silly me. I forgot to put it in there.

image.jpg

Yeah, my friend is, like, an H or something. Fortunately she's more than 5' tall, or she'd fall over. But it causes problems for her in so many ways. Does make her quire popular at the Ren Faires, though.

As far as the candy printer, as long as the one substance it's printing is chocolate, I'm good with that. OMR, how awesomeful would it be to be able to print chocolate at your desk. "Here's the report you asked for, and here's some Belgian dark chocolate." *starts dreaming*

I liked your sort-of OTTification of Garfield. Kind of a verbal ottification, if you will.

yappobiscuits wrote:

Yup. :D

Oh, azule, somewhere back then *waves hand vaguely at pastpages* you had a bunch of stuff I meant to respond to. I'll have to go hunt it down, but I did see your responses to me!

In other news, I think I'm free. Not free as in destitute, mind you, although thanks the the IRS I am that as well. But free of the molpy on my back--Q04B.
Spoiler:
I was beginning to alarm myself. I had a game that had been going on for quite a while (I think my score was in the 700,000s), and I felt that I was getting close to getting Rosetta. I was really pretty addicted. Last night instead of ketchup or coma or any of the useful things I could have been doing, I sat on the sofa for I don't know how long, hot dogging. I have this idea that someone who saw me would see this crazed person hunched over her miniTimeAccessor, alternately grinning and cursing. But then--game over. And the spell was broken. I think Haven't been tempted to open it today. Thank Randall! I got stuff to do, ya know? Many times lately I have wondered whether mrob is the devil, or just an agent of the devil. :twisted: I mean, I was into SB, but it could idle by itself and I was ok with that. But something about this game--each move is so quick, so it's easy to think "one more-one more." And the game goes on for so long with the larger grid.

So, if I need a hot dog to distract me for a few minutes, I'll stick with Solitaire, or the new version of Pocket Frogs I just downloaded. Those are a little more manageable. (Though I do remember being pretty hooked on Pocket Frogs at some point--hm, that could be trouble.) Anyway, I've always avoided video games because I was afraid I'd get too sucked in, and I guess I was right.

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Yup, I can confirm this.

And it's even harder if 1) you have no idea what you're doing and 2) you have the wrong tools (i.e., doing manips using PowerPoint as your graphics software.) Well, maybe you're working just as hard to get results that aren't as good. :D

BlitzGirl wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
Redundant!
Spoiler:

Which is appropriate, since he's Cue-bald. *runs*

edited because.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 09, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Which is appropriate, since he's Cue-bald. *runs*

You cannot flea the scrumptious donut!

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

Re: Ketchup

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:Ketchup reply:
azule wrote:
NoMouse wrote:the first nuclear fusion reactor that should generate more power than it consumes
I thought that wasn't possible. Do they have it set up next to their perpetual motion machine and Time portal?

No, it's not a perpetual motion machine, it runs on hydrogen. But, the problem is, you need to create quite extreme conditions (like inside a star) to ignite fusion and to do this, you have to add extra energy into the system. Today's reactors don't produce more energy from the fusion than this extra energy needed to maintain the fusion - ITER should be the first one that will produce more. The energy from the fusion comes from the fact that when two hydrogen atoms merge into one helium atom, not all the matter is used - a tinyriverish fraction of its mass is converted directly into energy (the amount of energy released is hugeseaish, because of E=mc2). This is how nuclear fission works too, but in the case of fusion, the amount of energy is far larger, because the difference in mass between original and final product is bigger.[citation needed]

[citation needed]I'm not a nuclear physicist and I'm writing this straight out of my head, so I may be wrong. You use information in this post at your own risk.

AUTOMOME wrote:COULD SILENTONGS BE ANY MORE STEAKISH?

I don't know, could they? They are very steakish so far.

I was under the impression that fission primarily produced energy by liberating alpha, beta, and gamma particles from the sudden liberation of unstable neutron loads. It sustains itself through the use of the freed neutrons, which are traveling at very high speed, and knock more nuetrons off of other fissile material, causing the fundemental instability of those fissile elements to unbalance, thus sustaining the reaction. I think the radiation comes from energy state decay caused by the lower proton numbers of the resulting products, but I could be wrong, as I too am not a (professional—anyone who does science is a)scientist, merely a science enthusiast.

according to the other wiki,
"The origin of the energy released in fusion of light elements is due to an interplay of two opposing forces, the nuclear force which combines together protons and neutrons, and the Coulomb force which causes protons to repel each other. The protons are positively charged and repel each other but they nonetheless stick together, demonstrating the existence of another force referred to as nuclear attraction. This force, called the strong nuclear force, overcomes electric repulsion in a very close range. The effect of this force is not observed outside the nucleus, hence the force has a strong dependence on distance, making it a short-range force. The same force also pulls the neutrons together, or neutrons and protons together.[2] Because the nuclear force is stronger than the Coulomb force for atomic nuclei smaller than iron and nickel, building up these nuclei from lighter nuclei by fusion releases the extra energy from the net attraction of these particles. For larger nuclei, however, no energy is released, since the nuclear force is short-range and cannot continue to act across still larger atomic nuclei. Thus, energy is no longer released when such nuclei are made by fusion; instead, energy is absorbed in such processes."
Which implies that in that case, matter annhialation/conversion is limited and not particularly important part of energy production either.

As I said, I could be wrONG, but I believe that we're both right, it's just different paint of view. Because of the mass-energy equivalence, it can be explained both ways.

Here's another citation from the other wiki I have found:
Otherwiki wrote:Nuclear fission of heavy elements produces energy because the specific binding energy (binding energy per mass) of intermediate-mass nuclei with atomic numbers and atomic masses close to 62Ni and 56Fe is greater than the nucleon-specific binding energy of very heavy nuclei, so that energy is released when heavy nuclei are broken apart. The total rest masses of the fission products (Mp) from a single reaction is less than the mass of the original fuel nucleus (M). The excess mass Δm = M – Mp is the invariant mass of the energy that is released as photons (gamma rays) and kinetic energy of the fission fragments, according to the mass-energy equivalence formula E = mc2.

I won't pretend that I understand it completely but it seems to me, that the energy released can really be calculated just by comparison of the mass of the original element(s) and the fission/fusion products.
Oh, another citation to confirm this:
Otherwiki wrote:The energy given off during either nuclear fusion or nuclear fission is the difference between the binding energies of the "fuel", i.e., the initial nuclide(s), and the fission or fusion products. In practice, this energy may also be calculated from the substantial mass differences between the fuel and products.

For decree: Typo included.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1218

Postby mscha » Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

UNGENDRURE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY WOTTERMOLPY MOOLPY MOOLPY

-- posted by oldpixbot

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

You cannot flea the scrumptious donut!

Oh, ch*rp. I thought I got a way. But I had to do it. I couldn't help myself. It's sort of like a nervous tick.

Speaking of ch*rping, I'm questioning the parenting choices of these finches that built their nest in the office window. The babies are starting to hatch, and there's more ch*rping than ever! The parents ch*rp, the young'uns ch*rp. It's shocking.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:It's BlitzBall!

That sounds like the name of a hotdog...

Well, it is the name of a mini-hotdog in Final Fantasy X

And this may seem gruesome to some so I'll spoiler it:
Spoiler:
How does decomposition of stick figures work? Since their limbs are all effectively one dimensional they may degrade rather quickly, which could get ugly as they try to use the wheelie stick grabber thing.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

Redundant
Spoiler:
lmjbrunsaw.gif
lmjbrunsaw.gif (18.22 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
BSTA

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:

Redundant
Spoiler:
lmjbrunsaw.gif

:D I just love balthacyclenautasar.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

Bahaha, that was steakishly done, Balthasmiley.

Hmm, isn't "steakishly done" redundant? Since "steakish" means "well done", so I'm saying it's "well done done"? Ah well, redundancy is molpish.

balthasar_s

#define REDUNDASTEAKISH "well done done"

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Hmm, isn't "steakishly done" redundant? Since "steakish" means "well done", so I'm saying it's "well done done"? Ah well, redundancy is molpish.
let's define "well done done" "redundasteakish", then.
But what if something is redundasteakishly done? . . .
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”