1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1145

Postby mscha » Mon May 26, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

DOUBTONGLY...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 26, 2014 9:13 pm UTC

Is this the slowest dip ever?

WUNGT some food? (previous newpix because dialogue)

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 26, 2014 9:30 pm UTC

ergman wrote:a shovel? a spoon?

A toilet brush?
He/Him/His Image

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon May 26, 2014 9:36 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh hey @Earthling on Mars, you've turned into some kind of mutant form of Alot. I wonder why...
BlueCrab wrote:It's an alot! You have an alot!

Oh, so that's what it is! Thanks for telling me.
Hmm, I wasn't planning to keep this avatar for long, but some OTTers seem to like it.

Perhaps it is an alOTT (or has someone suggested that already?)

(slinks off in search of doughnut)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon May 26, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

karhell wrote:And happy Joinversary, ZoomanSP !
HES wrote:And happy Bdip, too!

Thanks xuys! :D
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh hey @Earthling on Mars, you've turned into some kind of mutant form of Alot. I wonder why...
BlueCrab wrote:It's an alot! You have an alot!

Oh, so that's what it is! Thanks for telling me.
Hmm, I wasn't planning to keep this avatar for long, but some OTTers seem to like it.

Perhaps it is an alOTT (or has someone suggested that already?)

(slinks off in search of doughnut)
:lol: That's exactly what it is! No need to slink off, DrSam, unless that's how you usually get around?

Happy JoinBirthDip, Zooman!

Hmm...
BlitzGirl wrote:*mumbles about extended wipend, gets yanked back Outside*
So I might be able to get away with something? For a dip or so, anyway... Do you suppose that the mysterious pale blue thing on Earthling on Mars's back could be... an alOTTmint?
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 26, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Is this the slowest dip ever?

Todip's outside adventure was one state south. Just a drive and a walk near a lake todip. A bit hot for it, so the wolpies cooled off in the lake. Couldn't actually let them swim though. Saw a heronraptor. (And several of Largest Wolpy's favorites, toddlermolps.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time Revisited - np1628

Postby mscha » Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

DUMPUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IT'S EQUIMOLPIES ALL THE WAY DOWN

-- posted by oldpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1146

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 12:30 am UTC

SCAVONGERY...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 27, 2014 1:22 am UTC

I just don't have much to say that's at all related today. Busy thinking through programmy things, (bit depth loss for pygame surfaces)
and watching old adventure time episodes. I suppose I could go OTTify something. be back with that in a bit.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: Time After Time: t1i-1146

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue May 27, 2014 1:23 am UTC

newpixbot wrote:SCAVONGERY...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

That's macabre, newpixbot. :?
I prefer to think that they build a cairn for Bravebeanie. Image
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Gingercat

Re: Time, Mr Freeman?

Postby Gingercat » Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 am UTC

ergman wrote:[Snip!]

*warpedit*
Hi gingercat! time travel is fun! This is my firstpost, which only blitzers have ever seen, pretty much. Now a days people throw firstposts forward, but that never happened to my old one here. Have fun on your blitz gingercat, and all other blitzers after you. we're waiting for you in the present now.

Oh my! I found a Time Capsule! It was hovering in the air as I approached, and dropped neatly into my box as I passed underneath.

Thankyou, ergman, for presenting this present to my futurepresent1, now my presentpresent, and soon to be my futurepresentpast!

I feel vindicated once more in my Blitzquest, and shall endeavour to update my "Location" to point at where I am currently up to.

(Btw, Cueball has just fallen into the river2, hilarious.)

1"I present a present in the present!"
2Small
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

azule
Saved

Blindpost NP1962

Postby azule » Tue May 27, 2014 1:58 am UTC

I vote for Sea Rose to be added to our lexicon.

That's awesomeful, slinches (dep. bluethasar_v1)!

Link wrote:this update brings a significant behind-the-scenes addition: a system that allows multiple forms of the same word to be grouped together.
Can't wait to see what you did there.
Note: I think mrob showed me.

mrob27problemsbutazuleain'tone wrote:I'll work on making mine do this too, and maybe nudge @azule in a similar direction. I'll try to add a [verb-ing-multiform] class too.
I barely know what you said there. hah. I mean, I'm considering things. *sideways eyes*

BC wrote:it only makes sense to have [size] be a percentage of the default.
...I'm pretty sure it is. *confused*

BC's iPhone wrote:Image
Wow...that's one of them modern, newfangled, Apple products in action? I wonder why it thinks that's a good idea. You don't get your web pages served through an intermediate server (that messes/compresses the page), do you? mrob linked to explanation.

Mixed Ketchup is the name of VHF's first "Greatest Hits" album.
Neat, I inspired one! :)

Noted by Aluisio, azule wrote:She'd tread him right.
Yeah, cuz hooked on fonix workt 4 me. ;)

Aluisio wrote:What was it… Czech? Polish? Well, one of these languages with an seemingly small vowels/word rate.
I think it was Hungro-Austrian.

Link wrote:AUTOMOME is a "black box" clone.
Awesomeful! That's basically mine too but only for the code not for the word and meme lists.

BC wrote:Sheesh, I feel like talk about my littles every time we see a beesnake, but I think this is the first time you've mentioned yours since I've been back.
I want to stay relevant (regardless of mod encouragement), so I need an in. I think I might have mentioned the babyzule once more, in a very cryptic fashion. No offence, but I thought your little one was a wolpy....it's a human, yes? lol. Apologies. *cough (not in your direction, sorry to ggh, too)*

A. ASG wrote:Hm, would a linking feature be useful? Like http://ottermap.chirpingmustard.com/#AluisioASG?
I don't know what that does but that does sound neat.

ucim wrote:Awesomeful! Made of Baobab!
Obviously this would be baobabful, or baobabsomeful. ;)

yapps-a-lot-o-OTTish wrote:he joked that we should end the album just with someone saying "Treeish!"

You know you're an OTTer when your friends who don't even know about the OTT start using OTTish words because they've picked it up from you...
Could it be he was jokingly saying threeish in a weird way?

ggh wrote:The Little Wonder says everything with different inflections of "ah". My favourite is the quite specific ah that means "hey, there's something stuck to my foot!"
When she was three months old, she used heaps of different letters, but then she started focussing on volume and sounded exclusively like a cat for a while. I'll miss the ahs when they're gone.
Cute. Depends on what the cats sound like. One of mine meows like a real cat. Another just chirps, and the last one is grumpy and sounds, I guess, croaky. And yes, I'll miss all those things the babymolp does...pretty much as he does them. hah. He used to snort like a messymolp when hungry, now no longer. *cries* me! :P

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 27, 2014 2:04 am UTC

Zanclean Flood Cometh

RSIR
Spoiler:
harsh waters cometh.png
I hope we can ride it like those lil' surfin molpies!

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Re: Blindpost NP1962

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 am UTC

azule wrote:
yapps-a-lot-o-OTTish wrote:he joked that we should end the album just with someone saying "Treeish!"

You know you're an OTTer when your friends who don't even know about the OTT start using OTTish words because they've picked it up from you...
Could it be he was jokingly saying threeish in a weird way?

I dunno why he would've been doing that :P ...For context, we were queueing up to get food at a barbecue (at which we were playing a small gig), we noticed there was steak, and I said "ooh, steakish!" which prompted him to suggest the "treeish" thing. In reference to the fact I often use the word, in its OTTish sense, in the Outside.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 27, 2014 2:23 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:For context, we were queueing up to get food at a barbecue (at which we were playing a small gig), we noticed there was steak, and I said "ooh, steakish!" which prompted him to suggest the "treeish" thing. In reference to the fact I often use the word, in its OTTish sense, in the Outside.
My wife has picked up some OTTish - I apparently use "ch*irpin'" and "mustard" a lot. It's a bit disconcerting to have her point out where the mustard is, in those words. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Page 500 Achieved

Postby Gingercat » Tue May 27, 2014 2:41 am UTC

"All in all you're now a...nother quote in the wall..."

In celebration of reaching Page 500, I'm gonna drop a wall on all y'all1.

yappobiscuits wrote:I started doing this and couldn't stop… longness ahead, proceed with caution...
Spoiler:
Excerpt from The Lord of the Bags, The Fellowship of the Bag

That night they camped on a small eyot close to the shore. Cueball lay rolled in blankets beside Megan. "I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Miss Megan," he said. "Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway."
"Well, what was it?" said Megan, knowing that Cueball would not settle down until he had told his tale, whatever it was. "I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left the sandcastles."
"It wasn't funny that way, Miss Megan. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!"
"The log's all right," said Megan. "There are many logs in the sea (big). But leave out the eyes!"
"That I won't," said Cueball. "Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak. I saw what I took to be a log floating along in the half-light behind a rock; but I didn't give much heed to it. Then it seemed as if the log was slowly catching us up. And that was peculiar, as you might say. Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What's more, it wasn't a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan's almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.
"That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it were still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head. For the whatever-it-was was coming along fast now and getting closer to us. But whether those two lamps spotted me moving and staring, or whether I came to my senses, I don't know. When I looked again, it wasn't there. Yet I think I caught a glimpse, with the tail of my eye, as the saying is, of something dark shooting under the shadow of the bank. I couldn't see no more eyes, though."
"I said to myself: 'dreaming again, Cueball,' I said; and I said no more just then. But I've been thinking since, and now I'm not so sure. What do you make of it, Miss Megan?"
"I should make nothing of it but a log and the dusk and the sleep in your eyes, Cueball," said Megan, "if this was the first time that those eyes had been seen. But it isn't. I saw them away back before we left the castles. I saw a strange creature with eyes coming up to us while I lay down to rest after building the topmost castle.
"And I remember more too," said Cueball. "I don't like my thoughts, but thinking of one thing and another, I fancy I could put a name on the creature, at a guess. A nasty name. LaPetite, maybe?"
"Yes, that is what I have feared for some time," said Megan. "Ever since the night on the platform. I suppose she was lurking near the beach, and picked up our trail then. The miserable creature must have been hiding behind some rock, watching us start off!"
"That's about it," said Cueball. "And we'd better be a bit more watchful ourselves, or we'll feel some nasty fingers around out necks one of these nights, if we wake up to anything. And that's what I was leading up to. I'll keep watch."
"Alright," said Megan. "But only if you promise to wake me up half-way towards morning, if nothing happens before then."

In the dead hours Megan came out of a deep dark sleep to find Cueball shaking her. "It's a shame to wake you," whispered Cueball, "but that's what you said. There's nothing to tell, or not much. I thought I heard some soft splashing and a sniffling noise, a while back; but you hear a lot of such queer sounds by the sea (big) at night."
He lay down, and Megan sat up, huddled in her blankets, and fought off her sleep. Minutes or hours passed slowly, and nothing happened. Megan was just yielding to the temptation to lie down again when a dark shape, hardly visible, floated close to the shore. A long whitish hand could be dimly seen as it shot out and grabbed a rock; two pale lamplike eyes shone coldly as they peered inside, and then they lifted and gazed up at Megan on the eyot. They were not more than a yard or two away, and Megan heard the soft hiss of intaken breath. She stood up, drawing a knife from her bag, and faced the eyes. Immediately, their light was shut off. There was another hiss and a splash, and the dark log-shape shot away back out to sea into the night. Cueball stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.
"What is it?" he whispered, springing up and coming down to Megan. "Why have you got your knife out?"
"LaPetite," answered Megan. "Or at least, so I guess."
"Ah!" said Cueball. "I'd hoped our journey would eventually beat her, but she is too clever a water-girl. We shall have to try going faster tomorrow. You lie down now, and I will keep watch for what is left of the night. I wish I could lay my hands on the wretch. We might make her useful. Maybe she knows if there are other rivers… but if I cannot, we will have to try and lose her. She is very dangerous. Quite apart from murder by night on her own account, she may, Randall forbid… Steal our bags."

The logs are aliiiiiiive with the eyes of glooooowwwwiiiiing...

Exodies wrote:Is this the kind of geological structure which would drive weirdos to attempt to frack pure semen from the ground?

No, that would be Castle Cumalot.

edo wrote:Nice jarb!

Nice jorb with the Coach Z reference!

ChronosDragon wrote:If the comic won't satisfy the loopists, the thread certainly will!1

Dirty loopists!! :lol:

Page 500. Soon I will have read no less than twenty thousand replies. And yet there are nearly three times that number yet to come! I can barely Wait to see what the future brings :mrgreen:

I shall continue to update my Location with my progress. Time marches on, and my box hovers along after it. Currently wandering through a rather scorched landpostscape, which PhoenixRising swears isn't his doing ;)

1Amusing, since I'm a born-and-bred Australian using such a blatant Americism!
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

HES

Postby HES » Tue May 27, 2014 2:44 am UTC

ucim wrote:I apparently use "ch*irpin'" and "mustard" a lot.

Chiirpin?
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1632

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 3:10 am UTC

UNTUNGED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:RAPTOR IS SERIOUS RIBBIT

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 am UTC

HES wrote:
ucim wrote:I apparently use "ch*irpin'" and "mustard" a lot.

Chiirpin?

Goes to show I even put mustard in my ch*rp!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1147

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 4:30 am UTC

TONGOIST...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 27, 2014 5:01 am UTC

azule wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Hm, would a linking feature be useful? Like http://ottermap.chirpingmustard.com/#AluisioASG?

I don't know what that does but that does sound neat.

It does nothing. Yet. I might make it center on the given OTTer.

yappo wrote:For context, we were queueing up to get food at a barbecue (at which we were playing a small gig), we noticed there was steak, and I said "ooh, steakish!" which prompted him to suggest the "treeish" thing. In reference to the fact I often use the word, in its OTTish sense, in the Outside.

ucim wrote:My wife has picked up some OTTish - I apparently use "ch*irpin'" and "mustard" a lot. It's a bit disconcerting to have her point out where the mustard is, in those words. :)

I wish I could say I speak OTTish in the Outside, but my room's walls are sound-transparent and apparently that has affected my behavior elsewhere.

Hey, got a task for y'll (especially you, azule): visit this and this, then tell me which one seems faster. If you can do an objective analysis, please do so.
The difference between them is that the latter uses the current method of putting everything into the HTML file, while the former fetches as many external resources from CDNs as possible.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 27, 2014 5:23 am UTC

BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:The difference between them is that the latter uses the current method of putting everything into the HTML file, while the former fetches as many external resources from CDNs as possible.
I am always suspicious of CDNs because they are yet another thing I have to be concerned about whether or not I should trust what they are doing. I browse with scripts off, and enable them one by one when I must. I can decide to trust goodsite.com, but then goodsite.com requests shadysite.net, unknown.cdn, and tracker.com

Ok, I try allowing unkonwn.cdn. Still no go.
Ok, I'll try allowing shadysite.net Still nothing. I'm not going t allow tracker.com but I notice that shadysite.net is asking to allow
adsupply.com, adsupply.cdn, randomcontent.cdn, and scripthouse.com.

After a while I say "ch*rpit!" and leave the site.

Maybe I'm too paranoid, but too many shady sites try to stick their fingers in my browser as it is.

(...and yes, I know .cdn means 'content delivery network'.... but so often the content that is being delivered is advertising or a bazillion twitter comments.)

Jose

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue May 27, 2014 7:00 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Hey, got a task for y'll (especially you, azule): visit this and this, then tell me which one seems faster. If you can do an objective analysis, please do so.
The difference between them is that the latter uses the current method of putting everything into the HTML file, while the former fetches as many external resources from CDNs as possible.

At first glance, the CDN method seems a tad faster, but additional research will be necessary to confirm this.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 27, 2014 7:11 am UTC

Steambottle, that was a heavy wipend!
Drinking and partying with friends in a rented vacation house is heavy :D. I should not have played that drinking game sunday night when I had already been drinking the whole afternoon.
Luckily my leg was healthy enough again to go for a 7 km walk in the Ardennes.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1148

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 8:30 am UTC

REARRONGEMENT...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue May 27, 2014 8:53 am UTC

Wait where did Megan go?

Their masks remind me of the Clangers for some reason

Spoiler:
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

mrob27

NOT SURE IF HOTDOGGING OR JUST GOING CAVE 

Postby mrob27 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:58 am UTC

I've been in heavy hotdogvending mode again, so a little behind. This is a partial ketchup and news of my work.

Link wrote: Y'know, I've never even looked at the original AUTOMEME's code. AUTOMOME is a "black box" clone. :)

That's great, and it explains a lot. I kinda wondered why you got rid of their 5-column verb form and went to 4 types of verbs in separate lists :P (I had to add the 5th type back in after looking at AUTOMEME and wanting to add some meme or other) Your Python helper functions are all different too. But a lot of it ended up being surprisingly similar — I guess great Python programmers think alike :wink:

balthabluehancinator wrote: Wait, do I hear someone coughing at me? Image

Oops, I didn't realize I was coughing was that loud :oops: :lol:
And I was going to improve it soon, which means it won't make images like those two. ...

That's fine, I was just enjoying the general existence of the thing. Bluecaves are of course the purpose, so make it work on bluecaves and I'll be happy :)
And you mentioned the notinytext blitzenhelfern userscript. Our last change to the script was not announced on the OTT. Only we two know about it.

Oh yes, of course! :D

Script Update

Yes, uhhh... let me remember...

This regards the no-tinytext script, which is one of the scripts described on my scripts index page. @balthasar_s recently suggested and added some improvements:
  • The script adds title text (also called alt text or mouseover text) for tinytext (less than a certain size) if you have the "Highlight Tinytext" option selected; and for light text if you have either of the light text related options selected. This title text is now generated with newlines intact, which makes things a lot more readable. See for example this post during the recent Fading UNGs (and wow, look at @Earthling on Mars' new avatar :shock:)
  • The title text was being shown for sizes 50 and smaller, but now it starts at size 65.
  • There are still some issues, like this post which has a spoiler inside white text; the white text inside the spoiler is not revealed. I use this script but I sometimes also switch to AluisioASG's colors, which made things a lot easier to read during some parts of the Fading.

Okay, so now on to the...

Q04B Updates

I have been working on improving the hotdog experience on my phone. @azule suggested a horizontal layout for phones with a nice big landscape screen, and that inspired me to make a baby version of the same layout that works on my phone. Here is a screenshot:

Yep, that's really all they give you for height. I squeezed the game into 200 vertical pixels so there's no vertical scrolling. Of course, one can touch the little full-screen icon in the bottom-right corner, but I don't want to count on that, and I don't even know if the hotdog can discover that's been done.

But the big changes I've made are even molpishier, and in a way they're a tribute to @azule, who likes to work offline (and who, oh so long ago, suggested that I might try to pre-load the icons for a better user experience).

On iDevices you can place your favourite webpages on the Home screen as icons, as if they were little apps in their own right. In this case, Gabriele Cirulli had already done some of the work but I added more. Q04B has its own icon, and I added splash screens for launching, and I spent a while trying to get it to work together with its auxiliary pages like Credits&Info for import/export. This led me down a chain of investigations that eventually led to the realization that I could make the hotdog download into the phone permanently, in such a way that the phone can be put into airplane mode (disabling the internet) and the hotdog still works.
    In some cases, adding the icon to the Home screen makes it start a new game, but the old game and console log are still there if you play in the phone's browser. It's an Apple problem and I'm still investigating. (See this discussion if you're a web developer and care about this issue.)
    As part of this I also needed to add an update mechanism and some diagnostics. You'll see a version number under the Q04B title, and if you click/touch on the title repeatedly, you'll see various bits of debugging information I added for use on the phone (where I cannot access the ordinary JavaScript debugging teqhniques).
    As an added bonus, Q04B now works offline on desktop computers too. After reloading the game, Waiting a few minutes (while playing if you wish), and possibly another reload and wait, the browser will have loaded all 300 or so files that make up Q04B into its cache. You may then quit the browser, turn off your internet, re-open the browser, and visit the Q04B page and your game will load right where you left off!
   I am using the cross-browser window.applicationCache standard, and in addition to my phone and iPad, this works in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari; I'm still having a little trouble with Opera, and I haven't checked IE 10 yet. You can hit the Reload button and the browser will happily redraw the contents of the window, with no complaints about you being disconnected from the Internet. If you have the Wait for it. boost, you might see a "broken picture" icon or (in Opera) the word "Image" in the upper-left corner of the grid.
    I have included the Options & Info page, the tile descriptions and each of the boosts descriptions pages. On my iPad these make it switch to the browser but it all still works when in airplane mode. I don't know if all the functions work (like activating new boosts) but it's getting there.

Of course, the problem with cacheing the files locally in such a robust manner is making sure it can still find out when there's an update. So window.applicationCache includes an automatic update process, which JavaScript can monitor if it wishes. Next to the version number under the Q04B title you may see a letter or symbol:

A question mark "?" means it is checking to see if an update is available, and if there is none it will change to an exclamation point "!". The letters "dl" mean it is downloading; "C" means it has cached everything and you may now go offline if you wish; and "+U" means that on your next load or reload you will have a new version of the hotdog. (This is useful information, regardless of whether you're more likely to want a new version or not. Perhaps some will use it as a prompt to go to Options&Info and do an Export.)

In the midst of all that, I've also done a bit to prepare for new boosts, but I wanted to get all this in place now because I will be travelling soon. I am going to Japan for a week, it is a very long way from home. I remove the SIM card from my phone so I can use the Japanese apps and take pictures with it, and I wanted to be able to hotdog Q04B too.

A little more ketchup...

BlueCrab wrote: Generally they are difficult to navigate, don't have the features you want, and DON'T ZOOM. :evil:

It's a great conspiracy. As soon as Steve jobs introduced the iPhone, declaring that all smartphones with internet give you is a "baby internet", and that his phone would give you the real internet (transcript here), then all the websites started contriving new ways to make their websites baby again.

Yaaayyy, bluehancement script from @slinches!

Mr Moriaty wrote: People wouldn't be able to tell if traffic lights were on stop or go and millions would die in traffic collisions ...

In my country at least, the needs of red-green colour blindness have been taken into consideration: the stop-colored light is always at the top. If you can't remember why, you can consider that stop is the most important signal, so they put it high for greatest visibility. Also, when you're actually stopped close to the intersection, the go-light, which is lowest, is more likely to be visible from your viewing angle.

and yet more OTT to reply to, but this post is getting seaish even for me :D

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
NP1963 Q04B-tiny-landscape.png
My phone's riverish landscape view

NP1963-Q04B-updt-avail.png
Q04B version number with "+U"
NP1963-Q04B-updt-avail.png (9.07 KiB) Viewed 12021 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time Revisited - np1638

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 9:10 am UTC

EMUNGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WOW - SO COMA - MANY BAOBABISH - SUCH ONGING - VERY NEEDLE-PULLED THING - MUCH WOWTERFUL - SEA IS BIG

-- posted by oldpixbot

Mr Moriaty

Re: NOT SURE IF HOTDOGGING OR JUST GOING CAVE 

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue May 27, 2014 9:11 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote: People wouldn't be able to tell if traffic lights were on stop or go and millions would die in traffic collisions ...

In my country at least, the needs of red-green colour blindness have been taken into consideration: the stop-colored light is always at the top. If you can't remember why, you can consider that stop is the most important signal, so they put it high for greatest visibility. Also, when you're actually stopped close to the intersection, the go-light, which is lowest, is more likely to be visible from your viewing angle.

Also true here. But I dont think it would make a difference in this hypothetical world where everything is either black or white. Its not a question of telling which light is on its a question of being able to tell if any like is on at all.

Although a quick conversion of a traffic light image to 2bit colour suggest you would be able to tell in some way.

Spoiler:
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 27, 2014 12:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:REARRONGEMENT...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

Mr Moriaty wrote:Wait where did Megan go?
mscha wrote:EMUNGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WOW - SO COMA - MANY BAOBABISH - SUCH ONGING - VERY NEEDLE-PULLED THING - MUCH WOWTERFUL - SEA IS BIG

-- posted by oldpixbot

To get some grapes, apparently.
Mr Moriaty wrote:
mrob27 wrote:

Also true here. But I dont think it would make a difference in this hypothetical world where everything is either black or white. Its not a question of telling which light is on its a question of being able to tell if any like is on at all.

Although a quick conversion of a traffic light image to 2bit colour suggest you would be able to tell in some way.

But, referencing the color-blindness-fixing glasses, apparently adding the color makes your brain tell faster, which would be a good thing.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1149

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

CRONGER...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
mrob27 wrote:

Spoiler:

Not sure if I missed something, but if you mean the OTC, their world does have color, Cuegan talk about it themselves. It's more like we watch through a black and white camera.

HES

Postby HES » Tue May 27, 2014 1:32 pm UTC

They might have other issues with their lights, though.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 27, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

Ah, that OtherComic…

ucim wrote:I am always suspicious of CDNs because they are yet another thing I have to be concerned about whether or not I should trust what they are doing. I browse with scripts off, and enable them one by one when I must. I can decide to trust goodsite.com, but then goodsite.com requests shadysite.net, unknown.cdn, and tracker.com

Okay, lets rephrase that. “[…] while the former fetches as many external JavaScript and CSS from code delivery CDNs (prioritizing developer-supplied ones, if any, unless they don't support HTTPS) as possible.”

ucim wrote:Maybe I'm too paranoid, but too many shady sites try to stick their fingers in my browser as it is.

You can guess why I'm staying away from the Google Hosted Libraries (besides it not including any I use).

mrob27 wrote:I guess great Python programmers think alike :wink:

Well,
The Zen of Python wrote:There should be one ― and preferably only one ― obvious way to do it.
Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.

Mr Moriarty wrote:Although a quick conversion of a traffic light image to 2bit colour suggest you would be able to tell in some way.

How do you discern a closed intersection from an offline traffic light?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue May 27, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:How do you discern a closed intersection from an offline traffic light?

At least it is failsafe in that regard.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1150

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

BITTONGS...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue May 27, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

SBN wrote:(And several of Largest Wolpy's favorites, toddlermolps.)
:D I'm partial to those, too!

ZoomanSP wrote:I prefer to think that they build a cairn for Bravebeanie.
Yeah, it looks like they're doing that. I'm glad that last bit's over - whether they were examining his body or reading his notebook, some of the scenes looked kind of like they were eating him. :shock:
(I don't watch horror movies or read horror novels at all, my imagination doesn't need the help.)

azule wrote:I wonder why it thinks that's a good idea.
Taken out of context, that sounds just like something Cue would say :lol: A very good question, actually. One I have asked myself many times.

azule wrote:I want to stay relevant (regardless of mod encouragement), so I need an in. I think I might have mentioned the babyzule once more, in a very cryptic fashion. No offence, but I thought your little one was a wolpy....it's a human, yes? lol. Apologies. *cough (not in your direction, sorry to ggh, too)*
I try to keep it relevant, too, at least to the extent of relating my bits to ongoing conversations; I'm sure I don't do as well as I might... No apology needed! My little one is actually four grandchildren - Da Bunny, the Lion, Little Bear, and the Mariposa. Little Bear lives with us and I take care of him while his mom's at work, so he gets the most airtime. I'm going to go back over my recent posts thinking of him as a wolpy and see how they sound that way :lol:

Gingercat wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote: wrote: I started doing this and couldn't stop… longness ahead, proceed with caution... Spoiler
The logs are aliiiiiiive with the eyes of glooooowwwwiiiiing...
I missed that one before - steakish, yappo!

Gingercat wrote:
Exodies wrote:Is this the kind of geological structure which would drive weirdos to attempt to frack pure semen from the ground?
No, that would be Castle Cumalot.
Oh dear. Ohdearohdearohdear. I think you and I might both be in trouble when BlitzGirl comes back In from the long wipend...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Time Revisited - np1646

Postby mscha » Tue May 27, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

GRUNGES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:CH*RPING BAOBABBIES, HOW DO THEY WORK?

-- posted by oldpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”