1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

Cueganzzle has reached the survey tower!

slinches wrote:
ucim wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
A pun-chainsaw would saw all the pun chains it could saw, If a pun-chainsaw could saw pun chains!"
BlitzGirl saw what you did there, soon she'll saw the who that did the what there, don't you see?

But are there any actual puns in there? I just meant it as an OTTification of the woodchuck tongue twister (inspired by BlitzGirl turning the punsaw loose on pun-chains).

And it was molpish! Image
No puns there, though Jose's wordplay is slightly suspect... :wink:

A missed nopix:
Spoiler:
The current nopix:
Spoiler:

Optional decree:
1974 is the yip the Rubik's Cube was invented.
How about some Rubik's Cube manips?
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:No puns there, though Jose's wordplay is slightly suspect... :wink:
Looks like we did a fan-tastic* job of blowing that one by.

A challenge for you linguists: A pun has been defined as "a play on words". Despite all my searching, I have not found a dictionary definition of "play" that fits this. It needs to be a noun, to take the preposition "on" in the sense of the phrase "on words" (using/about words), and to result in a phrase that has the sense of the meaning of "pun" (the noun). I have found some that come close, but none that fit.

Jose
* not a pun - cleared by BlitzGirl
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

ucim wrote:A challenge for you linguists: A pun has been defined as "a play on words". Despite all my searching, I have not found a dictionary definition of "play" that fits this. It needs to be a noun, to take the preposition "on" in the sense of the phrase "on words" (using/about words), and to result in a phrase that has the sense of the meaning of "pun" (the noun). I have found some that come close, but none that fit.

An exploitation of or riff off of, for the purpose of humor or entertainment.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1891

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

BESIEGUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IT'S A SPARROW-RAPTOR. IT'S A PASTPOST. IT'S SUPERRAPTOR!

-- posted by oldpixbot

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

ucim wrote:A challenge for you linguists: A pun has been defined as "a play on words". Despite all my searching, I have not found a dictionary definition of "play" that fits this. It needs to be a noun, to take the preposition "on" in the sense of the phrase "on words" (using/about words), and to result in a phrase that has the sense of the meaning of "pun" (the noun). I have found some that come close, but none that fit.

Does this not work?

google wrote:noun
noun: play
activity engaged in for enjoyment and recreation, especially by children.
"a child at play may use a stick as an airplane"
synonyms: amusement, entertainment, relaxation, recreation, diversion, distraction, leisure; More
enjoyment, pleasure, fun, games, fun and games;
horseplay, merrymaking, revelry;
informalliving it up
"a balance between work and play"
behavior or speech that is not intended seriously.
"I flinched, but only in play"
designed to be used in games of pretense; not real.
modifier noun: play
"play families are arranged in play houses"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

That question sounds familiar, Jose. :) I think Angelastic had a good response back then.

For decree, have to post and run so no redundakitty this Time:

RubiksCuegan.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

Thanks for the decree additions last page, ggh and No Mouse!

ChronosDragon wrote:PROJECTS DONE: 1.8/4

DAYS REMAINING: 13

SLEEP HAD (NIGHT: LAST): 5

WORDS LEFT (POST: THIS): ONE (HERE)

LAUGHED (OUT LOUD) THIS POST: Yes

slinches wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:There is a seaish treebucket mentioned in the new OtherComic!

Not to mention a rather fantastic pun.

Or is it a puntastic fan?

Neil_Boekend wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Whoa. Pope three times in four newpages is unprecedented for me. Have I become BlitzGirl? I do have a punsaw. No pink boa, though. Weird.

You do have a purple lei. That should do.
It has been proven that you are BlitzGirl.

Does that mean I can write poetry and am now good at <graphics-y stuff>? "cause that would be awesomeful.

Dracomax wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think the non-plaid 70s clothes looked that bad?

Apparently not, since they keep bringing it back. I liked some of the stuff from the 70s. But there was some pretty scary stuff, fashion-wise.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Something just came through the post today. From a certain OTTer no less. Anybody want to guess what I am now the proud owner of? I'll give you a clue. My oven now reminds me of the OTC &amp; OTT.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I can('t) wait for mine!

SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh no. *shakes head sadly*
Spoiler:

Well it is National Donut day.

I know. One of the faculty brought in leftover donuts from his class. It wouldn't have been so bad except we already had birthday cake. The sweets are just piling up. It's getting to be a dessert island around here.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:That question sounds familiar, Jose. :) I think Angelastic had a good response back then.

I thought that question sounded familiar as well, but I was too lazy sluggish to look it up.

Also, Rubiks Q04B should be a real hotdog.
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Magic yellow dog, anyone?

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

Found two men following me today. Successfully set up a trap for them. They saw me looking for fighters back at Versoix. Said they are adventurers and would happily help me defeat “this guy you're talking about”. Iffy.

Ange and Dominique, orphan twins. Seem to have gone through some quite serious fights in their lives. No purpose in life other than having fun. Where ‘fun’ means fighting and punching, occasionally helping others. Adventurers, like I said.

We went back to Versoix and will be leaving for Whadiff soon, after we plan for our arrival. That is, if these guys really are who they say and really intend to assist me. I don't trust them.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Something just came through the post today. From a certain OTTer no less. Anybody want to guess what I am now the proud owner of? I'll give you a clue. My oven now reminds me of the OTC & OTT.

Yay! It got through! I was wondering if my abuse of 'letter rate' would be tolerated. Looks like at least NZ and the UK are gonna let me slide. :)

It's going to take a bit of Time to send them all out (the Little Wonder has had me on a very short chain lately... if you could only see what it's taken to write this post!) but as sure as MistyCat blitzed the thread, it will be done!

Love the manips, NoMouse and BlitzGirl!

ETA: Aluisio - I'm really digging this writing style!
Last edited by ggh on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

Somewhere in the void is a terrified, confused, wrathful and redundantly lacking kitty.
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:An exploitation of or riff off of, for the purpose of humor or entertainment.
That would work, but I've not found a dictionary with that as a definition.

slinches wrote:Does this not work?
google wrote::noun
noun: play
activity engaged in for enjoyment and recreation, especially by children.
"a child at play may use a stick as an airplane"
synonyms: amusement, entertainment, relaxation, recreation, diversion, distraction, leisure; More
enjoyment, pleasure, fun, games, fun and games;
horseplay, merrymaking, revelry;
informalliving it up
"a balance between work and play"
behavior or speech that is not intended seriously.
"I flinched, but only in play"
designed to be used in games of pretense; not real.
modifier noun: play
"play families are arranged in play houses"

While these convey the sense, none of them take the presposition "on".

BlitzGirl wrote:That question sounds familiar, Jose. :) I think Angelastic had a good response back then.
Well, the answer ultimately was "it's an idiom". The attributive noun applied to "word play", but not "play on words". And yes, you could probably guess the meaning, especially in context, but I'm surprised that the use of "play" in that sense is so rare (just that one phrase) that it never made its way into the printed lexicon.

It still vexes.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

NoMouse

WITH NEEDLE-PULLED THINGS LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS PUNS?

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Optional decree:
1974 is the yip the Rubik's Cube was invented.
How about some Rubik's Cube manips?

Oh, I still have a Rubik's Cube right here on my table since May 19 when it was on Google.

RubikManip.jpg
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1893

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:10 am UTC

ONDUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I LIKE MY BAGPUNS LIKE I LIKE MY DIPS: COVERED IN OTTSCARS

-- posted by oldpixbot

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:24 am UTC

SavONG the mscha-bots from double postONG
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Awesomeful, NoMouse :D

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:58 am UTC

Did we miss the shining crotch of Cueball?

WE DID.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

RubiksCrotch.png
RubiksCrotch.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 13141 times

Keywords: rubik rubiks cube redunda redundakitties twin crotch cueball cuegan BGUM
redundaredunda.png
redundaredunda.png (192.04 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:13 am UTC

DRINKUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Re: WITH NEEDLE-PULLED THINGS LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS PUNS?

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:23 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Oh, I still have a Rubik's Cube right here on my table since May 19 when it was on Google.

Spoiler:

Stunning manip!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:02 am UTC

NoMouse's Post Title wrote:WITH NEEDLE-PULLED THINGS LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS PUNS?

Exactly!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1213

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:30 am UTC

GONGBOARD...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 am UTC

Cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Ch*rp ch*rpety ch*rp ch*rp ch*rp

NoMouse wrote:As for the 'Czech' puns - I've noticed that many people can't resist to make these puns whenever they see the word 'Czech' regardless of the context. At least on the internet.
It's not just the Internet; I think I first encountered ‘the Czech is in the mail’ about forty years ago, in a Hallmark card.

Lengthy, sleep-deprivation driven commentary
Spoiler:
Consider that in the phrase ‘the check is in the mail’ the words ‘check’ ‘in’ and ‘mail’ all have multiple meanings and/or homonyms, and you see the wealth of possibilities. Then further consider how many phrases ‘check’ is in: ‘check-in’ (formally arrive at a hotel/appointment/whatever, or file the return of borrowed material) ‘check-out’ (pay, or finalize a visit to a hotel/doctor/whatever, or formally borrow material) ‘check out’ (no hyphen - look at, examine)) ‘check, please’ (I'd like to pay now) ‘split checks/separate checks’ (I don't want to pay for this guy's booze/this is not a date) ‘checker’ (person running a cash register or taking tickets, or a game piece) ‘check/checkmate’...
Yep, that's a lot of material to work with. (Material -> fabric -> houndstooth check pattern, there's another one. I should try to keep myself in check. See? ‘Check’ is everywhere.)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

-- = -

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:09 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Indeed, it is the Mediterranean basin. It would be HOT there. They may not be used to wearing clothes.

BlitzGirl wrote:Did we miss the shining crotch of Cueball?

WE DID.

azule

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:On that point, does anybody reckon that the close-up is a bit like those ink blot Psychiatric tests? Maybe SilentTimer is doing some sort of mass-experiment on us, Al.

moody7277 wrote:My hypothesis is that was an anthill Ms Frizzle put the Questionable Carcass next to so the ants would eat the meat off and leave the bones for examining.

HES wrote:How long has sandcastle builder had dragon combat? :shock:

How does it even fit in SB?

SBN wrote:At first I thought you were talking about the OTT, and our basementees. It's quiet here too.

Me too. I had to reread the first sentence.

lmjb1964 wrote:Whoa. Pope three times in four newpages is unprecedented for me.

We're slowing dowwwnnnnn…

lmjb1964 wrote:it may be that there is a guy in Greece named Marshal who enacted some law

Well, there was Draco.

mrob27 wrote:@AluisioASG, perhaps you can describe more precisely what you mean, how can I set up my Apache to serve all non-index.html files with a sort of version number and infinite max-age?

The version is in the file name. Or even better, the content hash is the filename.

Work on the OTTer Map is currently delayed due to an abysmal Internet connection. I can't even fetch Leaflet's repository properly.
I now feel your pain, azule.

Story comments:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:Excited for the new story, Aluisio. Like the sig tie in.

It was an afterthought, actually, but I figured out you folks might need some context.

ergman wrote:Which one of us is Captain Nemo?

I can neither confirm nor deny that [REDACTED]

ucim wrote:looking forward to seeing how the new story evolves! :)

But you already know that!
Well, to some extent.
I know where I'm heading to. Maybe I should write a software to write the story for me.

BTW, there's mustard in that post of yours.

ggh wrote:ETA: Aluisio - I'm really digging this writing style!

Hm, I'm not sure of the meaning of ‘digging’ here but…
Well, that's the product of my laziness. I wrote some stuff about my thought trails for the story and the format; here's part of it:
Started by thinking of writing it the usual way (3rd person, prose). Had difficulty to start writing. Thought of azule's Zanclean Zodiac. Decided to write it journal-like. Tried to write first entry. Failed midway. Found out what StratPlayer was up to. Got inspired. First entry written successfully. Decided to restrict the format. Kept going.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:27 am UTC

After a prolonged self-imposed hiatus, I am now pleased to announce, on my one-thousanth post,

The First Movement of the One True Symphony!

...Well, sort of.

I ran out of Time while composing1, and I didn't want to miss NP 2000, so I decided to bring y'all what I have so far: the Sandcastle Eon, set to music, with many gaps where I haven't written anything yet and also many places where it just isn't done. Think of it as a "sketch" of the final piece.

Here it is:

Ketchup replies

On the N9 and N900
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Link wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Aluisio wrote: ...the source tarball...
Gosh, it's like you xuys are speaking a different language, or something...
UNIX-speak is a bit like Ottish in that respect; it's completely incomprehensible to those who don't know the jargon. An example (true story): I dd'ed /dev/zero to a file and formatted it as EXT4 using mke2fs. I then debootstrapped Wheezy-armhf onto it, pushed it onto my rooted Android phone using adb, and wrote a script to losetup the image, mount the virtual block device, and chroot into it. I then used APT to install a full GNU toolchain, among other things, so I can clone some git repos and hack FLOSS. Also handy: I have Texlive and Vim, so I can do my homework (for which I use LaTeX and git) and latexmk it into PDF, all from my phone.

That reminds me. I have a Nokia N900 and N91 sitting around that I need to figure out something to do with (or get rid of if I can't). If you guys can think of some interesting OT(C/T)ish ways to put them to use that a somewhat proficient Linux user looking to learn some programming skills2 could accomplish, it would be much appreciated. Or if anymolpy can think of a really awesomeful way to use one that I couldn't do myself, I may be willing to donate it to the task.

1Ostensibly they're cell phones, but they run full desktop versions of Linux making them much more hackable3 than almost any android or iOS device.
2I can already write "hello world" in both bash and python!!4
3in the sense of being easy to make it do whatever the user wants, not that it has poor security.
4and I followed along with Link's Linux ramblings with only a slight stumble on "losetup"

Wow, someone else who uses these! I have been working on a fairly large project for both devices; called Saera, it is a Siri-like app for voice recognition, voice control, and experimental AI. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Linux distros
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:Any suggestion for a clueless userfriendly Linux distro?

I might suggest Elementary OS. It's still in beta, but it really nails the UI side of things, which other distros are somewhat lacking in.

Phantom of the OTTera
Spoiler:
HES wrote:RELATED anecdote:

My netbook is so full of mustard I'm in the process of defenestrating it and applying mint. Not cinnamon,though - I don't think it could handle even that.

Unfortunately all the mustard joined forces and chirped my boot sector. I'll have to deal with it after exams.

@yappo - abstract, but surprisingly less ear-bleedy than I was expecting. Someone in the comments mentioned "phantom of the OTTera" (capitalisation mine). This needs to happen.

edit for mobile mustard

Already started.

Graphics software
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:Cool about the Pixar software. Speaking of which, maybe it's time for me to check out some free graphics software. Any suggestions?

It depends on what you want to do - if you want to work with 2d image editing, go for Gimp; for 3D modelling, learn Blender. If you're more into digital painting, perhaps you might want to check out MyPaint.

1Chirp.2
2Hey, it's my 1000th post, I can omit the asterisk!

RSIR
Spoiler:
ots-2.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time Revisited - np1899

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:10 am UTC

DUNGAREE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:404 - MOME NOT FOUND

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:27 am UTC

Without any context, Megan might be interpreted as a few random objects and plants on the ground in that UNG.

mscha wrote:404 - MOME NOT FOUND

Mome not found? MOME NOT FOUND?! I'm back, oldpixbot! *waves frantically at it*
Music! Image
How wowterful, taixzo!
That deserves an OTC-colored musical cake! Molpish 1000!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

I'm tired and dizzy. Also, thanks for bothering me, Mr. Cop.

Postby azule » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:08 am UTC

mscha wrote:[panic]TIME HAS STOPPED!!![/panic]
I didn't know we had those tags.
So I'm ketchupping to the Present and hopefully someone will say that it has started again. I'll check, myself, later today. Can't check because ninjas. Yay for ninjas!

ZmSP wrote:FWIW, the "Now" OtherComic isn't loading for me, either. "Click and Drag" works, though. Which other interactive/dynamic OtherComics were there?
Well, Click&Drag does not use a redirect. Now does, as does Time and Lorenz. I think Umwelt might as well. Well, it uses something from the server but I don't think it's a redirect.

Ninja'd and checked by N_B. Thanks! Must just have been that server (redirects) only.

SuccessfulBearNurturer wrote:We have orange safety vests for them for when we're where people might actually think they are bears.
Weird fact, where I live it is legal to own tigers, but not bears.
Interesting facts. Tigers are big cats. Question: Where are all the big dogs?...I guess you have those and that they're simply called 'dogs'.

I do like my cadences frothy!
Frothy cadences for everyone!

The important thing in my language quiz results is...
Spoiler:
Our top three guesses for your English dialect:
  1. American (Standard)
  2. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
  3. Singaporean
Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
  1. English
  2. Dutch
  3. Swedish
...I'm the only one among us to get US Black Vernacular. I think that's funny.... I did say something on the related subject a bit ago...so I guess I wasn't lying. ;)

For those interested, my #1s are both correct. I have nothing to say about the other numbers (besides up there) because I'm just a simple 'Merican.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:ketchupped... (what's the past participle of "to ketchup"?)

I predict that Cueganzzle will return to the Beanies' home to find that a large meteor has hit and destroyed it. It also set fire to everything. Trying to rescue something, they all inhale toxic fumes and smoke, causing them to collapse and die. Thus end the SilentONGs.
You know, your Thus ends seems more violent than some, unless I'm wrong.

For the past tense (same thing you asked for?) I go with ketchupped, also.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1214

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:30 am UTC

PONGUICULA...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

azule
Saved

BlindPost NP1971

Postby azule » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 am UTC

NoMouse, that drawception, love how it showcased the confusion between otters and beavers. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:I truly thought that the only lyrics in that song were "I Feel Love." Looked it up online and found out there were in fact other lyrics. Thing is, they somehow manage to make the song even more lame.
This you say of a song you OTTified as an example. lol. Yeah, sometimes all the lyrics don't make a song better but worse. I noticed that when looking up Kanye West's "Power", which has a minute+ video but a full length song, and then there's some very mundane things that get mentioned that don't sound cool and "power"ful. Also, any time I add to a song of my own where I never finished the lyrics...the new lyrics are never as awesomeful. :(

AASG wrote:Usually they'd come and pick me, but this time there was a scheduling conflict.
Life is a scheduling conflict. Sorry to hear about your mustard.

Didn't have much to say these last few days. Except some stuff to azule. Which I don't remember anymore.
Hah, thanks. I would probably forget everything, except that I keep a log until I am able to post/ketchupped. Does anyone else keep their comments somewhere? I thought there was at least one other that does.

mscha wrote:ROUNDONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot
H.C.! At first, I thought it was some sort of manip that oldpixbot was posting (like the colpix). But, no... Yeah, this thing kinda scared me. It's so close! Double-skull is a bit freaky too!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

balthasar_s

Re: BlindPost NP1971

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:29 am UTC

azule wrote:I would probably forget everything, except that I keep a log until I am able to post/ketchupped. Does anyone else keep their comments somewhere? I thought there was at least one other that does.

I keep most of my comments in 3 files: blitznotes.txt, notblitznotes.txt, and yyyyyb.txt. The names are self-explanatory.
language quiz wrote:Our top three guesses for your English dialect:
1. Singaporean
2. Australian
3. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
1. Italian
2. Romanian
3. Vietnamese
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:34 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Ch*rp ch*rpety ch*rp ch*rp ch*rp

NoMouse wrote:As for the 'Czech' puns - I've noticed that many people can't resist to make these puns whenever they see the word 'Czech' regardless of the context. At least on the internet.
It's not just the Internet; I think I first encountered ‘the Czech is in the mail’ about forty years ago, in a Hallmark card.

Lengthy, sleep-deprivation driven commentary
Spoiler:
Consider that in the phrase ‘the check is in the mail’ the words ‘check’ ‘in’ and ‘mail’ all have multiple meanings and/or homonyms, and you see the wealth of possibilities. Then further consider how many phrases ‘check’ is in: ‘check-in’ (formally arrive at a hotel/appointment/whatever, or file the return of borrowed material) ‘check-out’ (pay, or finalize a visit to a hotel/doctor/whatever, or formally borrow material) ‘check out’ (no hyphen - look at, examine)) ‘check, please’ (I'd like to pay now) ‘split checks/separate checks’ (I don't want to pay for this guy's booze/this is not a date) ‘checker’ (person running a cash register or taking tickets, or a game piece) ‘check/checkmate’...
Yep, that's a lot of material to work with. (Material -> fabric -> houndstooth check pattern, there's another one. I should try to keep myself in check. See? ‘Check’ is everywhere.)

Check! (I understand/It is correct)

taixzo wrote:After a prolonged self-imposed hiatus, I am now pleased to announce, on my one-thousanth post,

...Well, sort of.

Neat!

Just saw this OtherOtherComic news:http://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/ever-wished-that-calvin-and-hobbes-creator-bill-watterson-would-return-to-the-comics-page-well-he-just-did/
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1215

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

TONKONGESE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

Yay! Awesomeful taixzo! Happy kilopost!

The latest wolpycastlediaries (which due to mustard doesn't have a permalink yet) seems to be following a recent decree:
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Rubik's Carcass

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

Redundant:
Spoiler:

RubiksCarcass.png

Keywords: BGUM rubik rubiks cube carcass Cueganzzle Frizzle Cuegan show hold solve puzzle
redundant241.png
redundant241.png (88.89 KiB) Viewed 12571 times

Baobabs! That's cool! Image
(Though the Pearls website isn't loading for me at the moment - perhaps the traffic crashed it.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1909

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

BLACKUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:KEEP CALM AND KETCHUP ON

-- posted by oldpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1216

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

LEAMONGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Started my wipend by giving this wolpy a ride:
Spoiler:
June_20140607c.jpg
June_20140607c.jpg (18.98 KiB) Viewed 12494 times

She's a bit unsure about the whole thing.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

Cute dotwolpy! Image
More dots:

And here's a spoilUNG in which the facebug approacheth:The wipend is upon us!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

@SBN: wow! That's awesome! I love Pearls and Calvin and Hobbes, and it's cool to see them come together. My local paper stopped having Pearls, so in never would have known without you!

@Taixo: wowterful! I haven't watched a long play through of Time in a long while. Your score was wonderful. It would be cool if it were eventually merged with the OTVO.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Did we miss the shining crotch of Cueball?

WE DID.

Maybe it's made of gold...
Spoiler:

taixzo wrote:After a prolonged self-imposed hiatus, I am now pleased to announce, on my one-thousanth post,

Awesomeful! It's different to how I'd have done it, I'd have made it more dynamic and soundtrack-like whereas yours is more made up of repeated themes that slowly develop... Still treeish though. Ni ni ni different styles an' all that. Good to know if I do eventually decide to go ahead with my One True Soundtrack it will be different to yours, not that redundancy isn't molpish... Particular molpish things I loved: The way the theme quietens and is then re-introduced in the brass when we zoom out to reveal the second castle. The little flute motif when LaPetite appears. The tune starting at 13:23 that sounds a lot like the sort of piratical folky stuff I write for Iron SeaWolpy. The tremolo strings getting higher over the fading.

Looking forward to the rest!
And welcome back/forward! Happy 1000!

And for the benefit of anymolpy who wants to skip the silent parts, they're from 4:14-6:30 and 11:13-11:47.

Treeish Rubik's Cube-y things, everymolpy!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:The little flute motif when LaPetite appears.

That's a French song often sung by children. Image

yappobiscuits wrote:And for the benefit of anymolpy who wants to skip the silent parts, they're from 4:14-6:30 and 11:13-11:47.

Why should anymolpy want to skip the silent parts? ;)

Happy 1000, taixzo, and happy 4444, mscha and bots! :D
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”