1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

BoredPope NP1976

Postby azule » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

HES, what's an MTA (and those other 3-letters), besides the Municipal Transit Authority? Found the answer in my head: Mobile Time Accessor.

Aluisio, loving the story so far. Mysterious is your style and I'm glad to see it.

Can't wait to see/hear taixzo's first movement....eh, the music kind. ;) Sorry...that was inappropriate.

Cool, balthabuddy is Ebonics, too.

I was looking through my first posts (and there was some neat noteable things I noted (but I might not be the first, it could just look that way)) and I've decided I'm joining the davean cult. So instead of OMR, it'll be OMd (never to be capitalized btw), and all that. 'Cuz why not, daveandammit! ;)

Oh, what the hell, here's a mini blitz report minus the surrounding context of other posts (except for quotes): azule-edition: spoilered:
Spoiler:
  • In my first post I used a spoiler for possibly offensive content and not just to say "Wait for it."
  • My first post contains a "Ha!", and is my first lol-like interjection in the OTT. I did not append my thought with a literal 'lol' until two dips later. But, yes, you are all right to pin that on me. :oops:
  • azule wrote:I'm betting this will be a "touching" comic, and will not have any wacky twist ending.
    My first prediction turned out to be correct (while subsequent predictions became less and less correct). Um, correct if you consider "touching" to mean adventure and discovery and mystery....
  • azule wrote:I guess if it's long enough, a little silliness in the middle wouldn't ruin the sincerity.
    Also was true. The frog face plant and facebug being two instances.
  • azule wrote:It sorta feels like we have (been passively forced to) come together to bond over this mystery.
    I remember noting this in the Future-Present, question is, was I the first to note it?
  • azule wrote:Maybe this can become the longest on-topic thread on the fora.
    It is, isn't it? (If you can count all of our off-topics as RELATED...)
  • ternarybit breaksdown the Javascript here: pastebin.com/RKDtWYiB
  • My first ONG was on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, with the comment "She's doing some gutter work" which was met with a sexual innuendo. This proves that all the dirty minds are yours and I was just being perfectly innocent. It's true!
  • On Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 am UTC I note that I don't have a way of identifying the frame I refer to, probably due to the ni ni ni frame number standards being on the horizon or too new for me to notice. By Friday I use one of the frame standards (I've always used mscha's, so, probably that one?)
  • The same dip I mention that we can create threads in the rest of the fora for other topics. It's too bad that the Sadness came and the mods thought that we weren't into that...
  • The same dip I mention "catch up" (what's that?) and my gender (which was confused in the Future-Past).
  • The next dip, the first "blind post" with added "lurker" component. Lurkreplies is something I called my replies later on during my Zanclean Zodiac period. They're basically the same...and always have been connected. :)
  • I praise davean and 12 hours later I note that I have a new title ('Saved').
  • I named one of the first divisions, but it never got used:
    azule wrote:Finally caught up!!! Just in time for the era of "Still Fucking Confused".
    LMAO ;)
  • I refer to 'newspeak' on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 am UTC where I'm referring to 'newpix' (or was it 'longpix'?)
  • I mention "ninjas" on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm UTC, but was it already mentioned...or was I first? (Yeah, I'm not checking any of these, sorry.)
  • I mention Grow Cube, which was just thinking about again...and I mention it because I think it would super neat to OTTify that. I'm not that good with Canvas, anyone up for some coding or image-making?
  • My first first-hand pervertedness is on display on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 pm UTC. Eh...I shouldn't help you xuys know this stuff. :P
  • azule wrote:Probably still slow because: 1) newpix are slow; 2) people were exhausted keeping up last week and now it feels more like a wait til the end comes situation than a "The end is Nigh" situation; 3) Needs more penis jokes?
    See here? We can't do anything about newpix (aside from TAT), and we can't do anything about the way time feels when we transition from one time period to another...but there is always penis jokes. Here's one: I think Cueball should be renamed One-Eyed Willy. You know, due to his head looking a bit like one eye...
  • Oh, it looks like the "dead horse" incident might be the first period of punning, pre-Blitzaggen.
  • azule wrote:Legend be told that the uncrenelated will be crenelated by the bald one. And, yay, prophecy was fulfilled.
    No one, not even me, emulated this style. Legend foretold that Thus Ends would surpass this style by 400-fold. ;)
  • Okay, I stop here, within these 120 posts I perused, and do not find an ONG word. Well, this was a tangent. I would like to consume tangential tangerines. Can someone help me figure out how to make those exist?

Note to mrob: I've been playing Q04B a lot more at a time now. You win. :P I guess it's because I'm starting to figure out a strategy. Oh, no, not a winning one, just a one. I'm getting a sort of Tetris zen going on (though, I am pretty damn good at Tetris, so that be a bit different). Thanks for the Offline App mode. It helps knowing I can get back to it and therefore that there's a point in thinking of playing...then, I actually do. Hah!

BetterChatter wrote::lol: LMFAOA1
BlueCrab, improving my inanity since Ought1 (whatever that is). :)

HE THAT IS HES wrote:Image
Well done! Then Zooman. Where did you two get your prism?
Oooh, NoMouse for the win with an actual prism (assumed) from Time getting used. !

Hey, emurobu, is Image this (the first one) a ketchup bottle inside a plastic bag?

jbmacd wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Something just came through the post today. From a certain OTTer no less. Anybody want to guess what I am now the proud owner of? I'll give you a clue. My oven now reminds me of the OTC & OTT.
That sounds wonderful. *lamentedly sighs*

*salivates* I want Krispy Kreme IN MY MOUTH! Especially these ones. *salivates, slips on saliva as I walk, thus ends me*

ucim wrote:The attributive noun applied to "word play", but not "play on words".
Is it possible that there is no such definition, but a possible retrodef due to rearranging "word play" into its sister order? It's the same process that we do with "a white house" becoming "a house that is white" or "thumb wrestling" becoming "wrestling with thumbs", but where "word play" existed and the other did not. "Word play" would be similar to "sex play" and "bicycle play" (do not mix these two at home), and the inverse of these would be "playing with sex" and "playing with bicycles", would they not? "Playing with words" sounds like the actual correct inverse...someone silly just made up "play on words" and it was probably a proto-OTTer. ;)

ggh, praising NoMouse, wrote:Stunning manip!
Indeed. And coming from you...man, I wish I was a manip master like y'all. I better up my game and maybe I'll get to play with the big [insert gender based description here], too!

BlueCrab wrote:‘checker’ (person running a cash register...)
I believe those people are called Product Purchase Verification Experts.

AASG wrote:Work on the OTTer Map is currently delayed due to an abysmal Internet connection. I can't even fetch Leaflet's repository properly.
I now feel your pain, azule.
Did yours change or just what you have access to right now? And yes, the timeout on some of these things (such as github) really messes with a slower connection.

AASG wrote:Maybe I should write a software to write the story for me.
What a great idea (I say, but I'm just hinting at an idea I had but you ninja'd me on saying it; it's similar...very similar)!

Found out what StratPlayer was up to. Got inspired. First entry written successfully. Decided to restrict the format. Kept going.
Oh, so they're all in 50 word chunks? I didn't know that. Neat! (I like the chunk better than the entire story being within those 50 words...it really doesn't feel like a story but an outline at that point.) Note: did a work count...it's more than 50. *shrug* I didn't figure it out...this time!

bałthasar_w wrote:yappobiscuits wrote:
Did y'all know the Polish word for monkey is "malpy"?

It's "małpy".
Polish 'Ł' is not 'L' and is read more like English 'W', not 'L'.
But in this case wouldn't it be pronounced essentially the same? (ma'pee, mawpee, where they both "have" a trailing 'w' on the first syllable, which is actually silent and just tells us how to pronounce the 'a'.) My English might be different than yours. My English might be different than my English. Malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy...

NoMouse wrote:"Malpa" (with regular 'L'), plural "malpy" is also a Czech word for capuchin monkey. I didn't know that it means just "monkey" in Polish but the words are most likely somehow RELATED. :wink:
Thanks for pointing this out. I think this proves my point a little. The point that the l/ł distinction is not that important and that it's probably just for the sake of identifying vowel pronunciations.

taixzo wrote:I am creating a new frame numbering system, where dialog frames get a few duplicates each.
Why are you doing that? Is your system based on showing a frame for a second (not sure what amount as I've yet to see the vid as I write this) and therefore longer showings require more redundancy? Hah, yours is not only a redundant standard but has many redundancies itself. hehe.

blitzgirlpedia wrote:syll. mol-py, mo-lpy
Uh...how can you pronounce "lpy"? My tongue doesn't work that way.

blitzgirlpedia wrote:Molpee, Molpey, Molpi, Molpie
...Keep going. Need more molpies here!
Molpea, Molpe
Oh, good. Now we only need 6 more to complete the song. BlitzGirl, for your next google-fu, please return with grapevine variations (or as I regularly misplell it: gravepine (which is, btw, a type of tree that only grows it's roots in the foot of a grave, heheheheh...I'm clever ;) )). For the revised video it would include pictures (or caricatures) of these girls.

gold dug up by BG wrote:Military Service by Molpy
So, just as we have Veteran's Day, we would have Molpy's Day. ucim, please assign this to your calendar (if not already there). :)

yappo wrote:What would the hand gestures for each be? We already have rock from the original of course...
Good question. Flood would be be like paper, in that your fingers would extend out, but separated like the iconic water symbol. Molpy would be unlike any traditional hand symbol. It would be hiding amongst one of the other two symbols. Like, maybe the thumb is poking through the flood symbol a little or the pinky is out a little on the rock symbol. Ni ni ni I'm a dork-a-saurus rex.

FTFBlitzGirl, azule wrote:...More legs?

beargarden wrote:So p o s t is stake now. Nice.
Another blitz find (I gotta stop!) This might be cool to say the phrase "that was a steakish stake" or "your stakes are always steakish". Homophonic redundancy for teh win!Q

ggh wrote:the Little Wonder has had me on a very short chain lately... if you could only see what it's taken to write this post!
I see. I'm in your (browser) window.

I just wanted to artify this. Yeah, it's not an OTTification. Sorry. :(

Disclaimers and redundancy:
Spoiler:
I do not actually know what ggh looks like. Sorry if the hair choice is offensive. I went with short and frazzled (due to all the hair pulling out). We say "short leash" here in America. Saying "chain" conjures up ownership...which I'm sure you wouldn't dispute (that she owns you). Oh yeah, I might have forgotten, for sure, which gender Little Wonder was, but that was girl hair. I know that you must own an awesome home computer setup, hence the crazy thing attached to the wall. It won't fall on the young ones 'cause it's bolted in. That is all.

gghchain.png
When you're all thumbs, keyboards are all spacebars.

Edit: Popage. It's probably not likely with such a large post, but let's try anyways. Decree: Describe your room and how it is OTTified, or if not, how you would OTTify it. I.e. how you'd spruce it up.
Last edited by azule on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2011

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

OUTSUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:TO SCHIZOBLITZ OR NOT TO SCHIZOBLITZ, THAT IS THE QUESTION

-- posted by oldpixbot

HES

Re: BoredPope NP1976

Postby HES » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm UTC

azule wrote:Found the answer in my head
And in one of my recent posts. Google, to answer your other question, if that's what you meant, which it probably isn't.

For decree: I used to have OtherComics littered around my walls, but never put them up when I moved Oop North. I do have a pile of them in the corner, though. It does contain my STA (that's Seaish TimeAccessor; See also MTA and RTA) and therefore all my OTTifications, redundantly on a couple of drives. The first physical OTTifact in this house is (hopefully) on its way from the other side of the world.

Oh, and there's that whiteboard thing I did. The whiteboard is here, but the OTTers aren't.

No hamply either.

ETA: I realise that I just described how my room isn't ottified, rather than following the decree. It's riverish and, as a result, zancleanly messy. It's in two rows:

Wall-Comatable-TimeAccessor-Window-Outside
Door-ZancleanMess-Hatstorage-Wall-Outside

ETA2: New decade!
He/Him/His Image

ergman

ottified 80s music anyone?

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:55 pm UTC

My room is a big ole mess, with a double ( :?: ) bed in the middle, and a desk with a TimeAccessor on it. I don't own any physical OTT object, but quite a few are stored on the laptop. Then there's a riverish TV that I never use and a seaish bookshelf. The room is not very related, unfortunately, and I think I was too late to the magnet party, so I'll have to spruce it up somehow.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
slinches wrote:Yes, this is good. Now we can quantify the molpishness of any new phrases by counting these "treeish rings", right?
Well, what you can count on is BlitzGirl, with her treeish rings exposure device.

Baobabs, BlitzGirl is even assigning levels of treeishness to current newpages!
Spoiler:
azule, I got my prism from the OtherWiki, cropped it and extended the rainbow manually (mouseally?).

HES wrote:It does contain my STA (that's Seaish TimeAccessor; See also MTA and RTA)

Oh, treeish! RTA is Riverish TimeAccessor, then? I thought that it would mean Standard TimeAccessor and Redundant TimeAccessor. Well, it's probably kind of the same.

HES wrote:No hamply either.

Missed, but not forgotten.

ETA: New WWhat IIf
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1242

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:30 am UTC

SLIMMONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

mrob27

I'M IN UR KETCHUP, WAITING FOR UR KETCHUP

Postby mrob27 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 am UTC

第三章

(chapter 2)

The soothing sound of the chanting, the prayers of the pilgrims, continues to resonate across the courtyard. After a short while another pilgrim emerges and sees Morobu. "We are told that the most reverent ucim can see us, and will perhaps even speak to us! We have only to Wait here in the courtyard!"
    Morobu is excited by this, and redoubles his Waiting in earnest. A newpix or so later, another pilgrim has emerged. All sit and Wait.
    As the sun reaches its highest point Morobu begins to long for the shade of the nearby woods, and the joys of discovery. He wants to continue his journey. He begins to approach the corner where a path clearly leads through these woods and on towards the mountain.
    Suddenly another pilgrim shouts out. "Fellow pilgrim of Searchfu! We must Wait here! Do not stray off these paving-stones for even a moment!"
    Morobu looks off into the woods: cedars, the occasional stone, a little stream with some moss — maybe some bamboo in the distance. Nothing at all frightening. "I don't get it."

地震 (earthquakes)!
火山 (volcanoes)!
津波 (tsunamis)!
台風 (typhoons)!
not to mention the
巨大モンスター (giant monsters with radioactive laser eyes)
and 飛行ロボット (flying robots that shoot ice-missiles)

These are the calamaties that befall a would-be apprentice
who exits the courtyard during the Waiting!
He must remain, and Wait for the great ucim
even as the great master himself did in his Time!

Morobu sits down again. "All right, I get it. I shall Wait for it."

This is the last of my
Japanese ketchup

ucim wrote: (OTT:1966:22) So I was praying a few minutes ago, using the Lucky prayer wheels, and despite what the Good Book says about Lucky only going left, right, and down, I saw a miracle! The entire board went UP, a cueball dropped in the middle of the bottom row, and the board went down again.

Yes, indeed if Lucky finds himself in a position from which Up is the only legal move, then higher forces intervene, and raise everything up. Likewise, if your move preference is set to up (so you're building against the top) and the only valid move is down, Lucky will move down. Here are two saved games that demonstrate this:

2:594711:C:85950:8:.1023.02BA.1340.0294.136C.0123.1212:59:59:1.333,4.1,5.1,6.85950
Move Preference set to Down, but only available move is Up

2:594711:C:85950:8:3201.AB20.0431.4920.C631.3210.2121.:59:59:1.333,4.1,5.3,6.85950
Move Preference set to Up, but only available move is Down

The other day, I had to clear my cache and cookies (because Google no longer lets me log in to youtube in order to correct it's "error" of putting me on the youtube announcement lists, as if I want to know what Google wants me to watch!). That pulled all the placeholders out of my missal. I keep a set of save strings so it was no biggie, but be warned!

Yes, good point. I've already put a warning about that in the newly-created page about the caching system. I'll add a warning to Options & Info near the Import/Export and Console Log area. I'll try to find another place to put a warning: any suggestions?
    Q04B doesn't use cookies, it uses localStorage, but that usually gets cleared when you erase your cookies (in some browsers it refers to "cookies and data" or some other term). localStorage is just a newer alternative to cookies, that avoids actually sending data across the internet: the JavaScript loads into your computer and runs, and gets the saved game data locally. The fact that it plays when you're offline depends on that.

azule wrote: (OTT:1967:36)
mrob27 wrote: You may then quit the browser, turn off your internet, re-open the browser, and visit the Q04B page and your game will load right where you left off!

In Soviet Russia, browser quits for you... with force. I mean, neato!
nippon-bound mrob wrote: I am going to Japan for a week, it is a very long way from home. I remove the SIM card from my phone so I can use the Japanese apps and take pictures with it, and I wanted to be able to hotdog Q04B too.

What a neat place to go. It seems wild. Please report back with lots of "Only in Japan" stuff!

How can I resist a request like that? :D Okay, here's the first installment:

日本Only in Japan日本

Hello Kitty sells everything

The language has four alphabets

Happy T.P. is a mascot!

Someplace I thought I had a photo of a washlet for sale in an airport gift shop, but now I can't find it. So that's #4: Only in Japan - washlet sold in airport gift shop. Use your imagination :D

mrob wrote: If someone tries to get a file at the same moment my bots are sending a new version of that file to the webserver, they might get a completely empty "file".

I never thought of that happening. (Just if someone got one new file version and no its new dependency version too.) I wonder if you can configure the server to refuse to serve that file until the new version is finished uploading.

Apache and SFTP would need to cooperate somehow. I think the way the pros do it is to just use redundancy: run two servers, and update the files on the server that's not currently serving (then switch 'em, and update the other one).
    @AluisioASG proposed a fairly good solution (in my ketchup-future, but my nopixbot saw his reply), and if the problem extended across all the files I might consider doing that. But I've found that the HTML5 applicationCache thing works pretty well, now that I understand that the manifest needs to be changed last. In fact, I'm updating the manifest simultaneously with two little files that contain a version number, and it was only those version-number files that had this problem. I solved the problem by using redundancy in the version-number files (that's why there are two of them). The JavaScript now happily deals with either of them being empty. Happy REDUNDANCY is lucky redundant!

azule wrote: (OTT:1969:32)
Sciscitor wrote: I actually miss the command line when I am on a windows machine, because the main use for X on linux for me is to have a convenient way to tile four konsoles on one screen and be able to swith to another with four more

Hardcore! "I use my graphical user interface to allow me to accomplish more in my command line interface. What, you use yours for pictures?" hehe

I usually tile six shell sessions, which doesn't cover the whole screen so I can have a few more around the edges that are easy to get with a click. All are 80 columns wide, and that's my standard width for everything I create and look at. In rare cases (such as the RHTF-formatted output of the OTT) I use 132 columns. Most windows are at least 50 lines high.

Haha! I fell for that, too. Sneaky mrob, nerd sniping us again! They're the same image...for now, until HES decides to sneaky ninja us with a new image.

I think @HES should get the original credit for nerd-sniping, and I just made it easier to participate. :wink:

macraw83 wrote: (OTT:1970:9) When not bogged down by that, I have been Blitzing through the Era of Great Fora M*stard. Which I can imagine was quite annoying at the time. Also, I noticed that the popes from 1623 and 1624 were somehow goated back to 1622 and 1623, respectively (with the status of Popes the 1622nd and 1625th in indeterminate status, due to a lack of papal decrees [ETA: Pope the 1626th has been goated too]), m*starding up those who are trying to Blitz. I wonder which Pastpost got deleted... oh well. ...

I sort of posted about that... here (NP1715) is my summary of the server mustards, and here (NP1734) is my list of recent firstposts that were delayed by moderator approval (and note my comment that I had seen a spam message).
    Your observations coincide with two big mustards, a Image Image Image on NP1622 and a Image Image Image Image on NP1623; and the firstpost by kitnoki that was delayed all the way until NP1628. None of this explains goating, but it's enough to make me suspect that something else odd was going on. The server was under intense attack by bots that try to create accounts and then use them to post spam messages to the fora; the tireless efforts of moderators are all that kept us from seeing said messages more often. So I suspect the goating is because of a deleted spam message.

mrob27 Image

(Post-Japan ketchup to follow...)

(Edits: Add forłard link to ch. 4; make Q04B saves more realistic)

Spoiler:
Tz2009-1848.jpg
Hello Kitty sells some kind of Japanese food (?)

Tz-20110201.154929.jpg
Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, and Romaji

Tz-20110201.172827.jpg
Happy Toilet Paper go lucky fun time!
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:34 am UTC

azule wrote:Edit: Popage. It's probably not likely with such a large post, but let's try anyways. Decree: Describe your room and how it is OTTified, or if not, how you would OTTify it. I.e. how you'd spruce it up.

I just moved into a new room, which is currently rather empty. I've removed furniture and wallpaper; next step is to paint it a new color, perhaps this wipend. Current color frontrunner is something seaish (blue) but that might change after looking at more samples.

azule wrote: BlitzGirl, for your next google-fu, please return with grapevine variations (or as I regularly misplell it: gravepine (which is, btw, a type of tree that only grows it's roots in the foot of a grave, heheheheh...I'm clever ;) )).

Grapevine variations? I'm sure there's a way to creatively interpret that...

ever aping: Eternal copycatism. (Copymeowlpyism?)
gap envier: One jealous of those with space between their front teeth. See also: American Eagle Outfitters.
given pear: Noble fruit bestowed upon a person who has proved xemself worthy.
grain veep: Second-in-command under the President of Grain.
grape vein: Circulatory system that carries wine instead of blood.
grave pine: Type of tree that will only spread its roots in the soil atop a grave (courtesy azule).
graven pie: Pie that has been engraved into stone (do not eat).
greave nip: When part of the leg gets pinched accidentally while putting on greaves.
nap grieve: To mourn the loss of a dozing opportunity.
pane giver: Shy spirit who secretly replaces broken windows.
paring eve: Night before the fruit is peeled. A scary time for fruit.
peg ravine: A ravine filled with pegs. Not sure where all those pegs came from.
pi avenger: Mathematical superhero who also defends baked pastries.
pier vegan: Person who won't ingest animal products on a dock.
raving pee: You really don't wanna know.
riven page: Leaf of paper that has been torn asunder.
vane gripe: Complaint about the weathervane's current indicated direction.
veering pa: WAKE UP, PA! *grabs steering wheel*

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Molpy of lateral inclination.

Postby HES » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:26 am UTC

Asunder is an excellent word. And nap grieving is totally a real thing.

mrob27 wrote:I think @HES should get the original credit for nerd-sniping, and I just made it easier to participate. :wink:

I nerded, you sniped.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

   

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:45 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Steakish bluegif, slinches!

ggh, I already came across brekkie, cuppa, footy, and stubbies here in Australia. According to this list, there's a whole bunch more. Funnily enough, "stubbi" is also the word in my local German dialect for a similarly-sized and -shaped bottle of beer.

We've also got sunnies, cozzies and mozzies. (sunglasses, swimming costumes, and mosquitoes).

Also I found something related:

ETA I just remembered that I found a torn-out sheet of notebook paper some mips ago which in turn was written several yips ago.
The somewhat faded text reads:
the ED of several yips ago wrote:pillow - not enough medicine

Caanan - a sugar cane plantation

Caananite - a sugar plantation in the dark

fortune - when a quartet adjust their pitch

fortunate - when a quartet adjust the pitch of 2 instruments each

someone - 1+1=2

atmosphere - located in a ball of moss

instrument - a thing you're meant to strum

meringue - French for merino [ED note: that's a breed of sheep]

closet - something you'd better not leave open

frequency - when you look at something often

often - nine or eleven

garden - a place where guards live

infantry - a young tree

nursery - a place where nurses are taught

taught - when your brain is stretched

rhubarb - sharp wire kangaroos can't jump over

highway cop - what I do before I get out of bed in the morning
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:00 am UTC

Nice mapmatching, ggh!
For the lazy, here's a Google Maps link.

AUTOMOME wrote:I THINK, THEREFORE I HIDE FROM CORINNE

A wise plan, AUTOMOME.

yappo wrote:Cessation of Molpying is yet another vital hotdog function.

FTFY

ggh wrote:Aluisio!!!!

:)
The latest OtherComic sounds roughly RELATED to the planned future of the story. So, before anyone call dibs on it: a fox under Alu's tickle oneness.

Oh, and I got a new retrofuture surname: Lounder. I blame you for this.

lmjb1964 wrote:I don't know Gary or what he's done

the forum software wrote:Post by lmjb1964 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:20 am UTC

karhell wrote:Aluisio, I like what you're doing so far. The journal-entry style makes for an interesting narrative.

Thanks. Laziness is the mother of Creativity. Hm, now I wanna listen Death is the Road to Awe…

BlueCrab wrote:What's Gozo?

To teach you a bit of informal pt-BR: your last reply before that one.

Wow, EUR 14 = USD 18.96 < USD 19. Renewal time!

azule wrote:Aluisio, loving the story so far. Mysterious is your style and I'm glad to see it.

Have a free ninur. It's too oblik for me.

azule wrote:My first ONG was on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, with the comment "She's doing some gutter work" which was met with a sexual innuendo. This proves that all the dirty minds are yours and I was just being perfectly innocent. It's true!

Interestingly, the first thing I think of when told to look for innuendo in that phrase involves guts and a knife. Chronicle of a Death Foretold (my first GGM book, BTW), maybe? Or, given “gutter work”, Hannibal (as in “prepping [some animal's] guts”)?

azule wrote:Did yours change or just what you have access to right now? And yes, the timeout on some of these things (such as github) really messes with a slower connection.

The connection in my parents' home has been getting worse every time I came here. Nominal speed was 1 Mbit/s (125 kB/s); real speed this April was 20 kB/s, and for the last week had been 10 kB/s. The provider said there was nothing they could do; it seems they even stopped billing us for it. Just a handful hours ago we switched to a local ISP and so far it seems to be delivering full speed (I still need to get a SIMET report though).

But still, if I ever want to get to that level again, I just have to tether my phone.

azule wrote:Oh, so they're all in 50 word chunks? I didn't know that. Neat! […] Note: did a work count...it's more than 50. *shrug* I didn't figure it out...this time!

It's not 50, it's whatever I got in the first paragraph. It was the one which set the format.

azule wrote:I'm a dork-a-saurus rex.

No, you're cute.

Now to the real Internet connection test: fetching Chromium.
Also, I'm explicitly skipping this page's decree.

HES wrote:No hamply either.

Forward transfer in a nutshell.
  1. Consider the Universe as a computable system in the form of an Universal State Equation.
  2. Determine a point in time where the target subject is in a desirable state.
  3. Patch the Equation so that at some future point in time, the Universe contains the target subject in the desired state.
  4. ???
  5. Profit!!!
(I'd say #2 is the hardest part.)

Hey, that whadiff is slightly RELATED too, but in the past…

Oh, the first story week is closing. So now I can tell you this:
There's a rhythm in the story posts. Can you figure it out?
(Hint: first sentence in this paragraph)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np2016

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 am UTC

GOOLAGUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:A WILD MOME APPEARS

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:28 am UTC

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:the Little Wonder has had me on a very short chain lately... if you could only see what it's taken to write this post!
Spoiler:

Disclaimers and redundancy:
Spoiler:
I do not actually know what ggh looks like. Sorry if the hair choice is offensive. I went with short and frazzled (due to all the hair pulling out). We say "short leash" here in America. Saying "chain" conjures up ownership...which I'm sure you wouldn't dispute (that she owns you). Oh yeah, I might have forgotten, for sure, which gender Little Wonder was, but that was girl hair. I know that you must own an awesome home computer setup, hence the crazy thing attached to the wall. It won't fall on the young ones 'cause it's bolted in. That is all.

Edit: Popage. It's probably not likely with such a large post, but let's try anyways. Decree: Describe your room and how it is OTTified, or if not, how you would OTTify it. I.e. how you'd spruce it up.

Oh Randy, this is too true! Thanks for colouring my hair - I haven't had a chance to do that either in the last few months, so it's got quite a skunk stripe at the part.

ergman, fear not. I'm just astonishingly slow.

yappobiscuits wrote:Speaking of OTTscars, it definitely won't happen any time soon because this wip I'm busy preparing stuff for the NEXT two wips when I'll be away completely because Iron SeaWolpy are in the studio recording our first album.

Awesomeful! Colour the flag!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1243

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:30 am UTC

HALTONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:37 am UTC

azule wrote:

Disclaimers and redundancy: [spoiler]I do not actually know what ggh looks like. Sorry if the hair choice is offensive. I went with short and frazzled (due to all the hair pulling out). We say "short leash" here in America. Saying "chain" conjures up ownership...which I'm sure you wouldn't dispute (that she owns you). Oh yeah, I might have forgotten, for sure, which gender Little Wonder was, but that was girl hair. I know that you must own an awesome home computer setup, hence the crazy thing attached to the wall. It won't fall on the young ones 'cause it's bolted in. That is all.

My computer is now set up sort of like that! I just finished building it. Except, it's attached to the ceiling instead of the wall, and the screen and keyboard fold down when I need to use them. (And I didn't consider flexibility when designing it, so the whole thing wobbles when I type. Oops. :oops: )

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:Edit: Popage. It's probably not likely with such a large post, but let's try anyways. Decree: Describe your room and how it is OTTified, or if not, how you would OTTify it. I.e. how you'd spruce it up.

I just moved into a new room, which is currently rather empty. I've removed furniture and wallpaper; next step is to paint it a new color, perhaps this wipend. Current color frontrunner is something seaish (blue) but that might change after looking at more samples.

azule wrote: BlitzGirl, for your next google-fu, please return with grapevine variations (or as I regularly misplell it: gravepine (which is, btw, a type of tree that only grows it's roots in the foot of a grave, heheheheh...I'm clever ;) )).

Grapevine variations? I'm sure there's a way to creatively interpret that...

ever aping: Eternal copycatism. (Copymeowlpyism?)
gap envier: One jealous of those with space between their front teeth. See also: American Eagle Outfitters.
given pear: Noble fruit bestowed upon a person who has proved xemself worthy.
grain veep: Second-in-command under the President of Grain.
grape vein: Circulatory system that carries wine instead of blood.
grave pine: Type of tree that will only spread its roots in the soil atop a grave (courtesy azule).
graven pie: Pie that has been engraved into stone (do not eat).
greave nip: When part of the leg gets pinched accidentally while putting on greaves.
nap grieve: To mourn the loss of a dozing opportunity.
pane giver: Shy spirit who secretly replaces broken windows.
paring eve: Night before the fruit is peeled. A scary time for fruit.
peg ravine: A ravine filled with pegs. Not sure where all those pegs came from.
pi avenger: Mathematical superhero who also defends baked pastries.
pier vegan: Person who won't ingest animal products on a dock.
raving pee: You really don't wanna know.
riven page: Leaf of paper that has been torn asunder.
vane gripe: Complaint about the weathervane's current indicated direction.
veering pa: WAKE UP, PA! *grabs steering wheel*

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I found myself laughing out loud at some of those. Thank you for brightening up my evening.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:05 am UTC

(Time-Steppin': found it!)

But now that BlitzGirl's back, a serenade (with apologies to The Angels):
Spoiler:
(Hey-la-day-la BlitzGirl's back)
(Hey, she knows that you been funnin')
(And she knows that you been punnin')

She's been gone for over a week
Now she's back and things'll be clean
You're gonna be sorry you were ever born
Cause she's kinda fast and she's got a punsaw

(Hey she knows that you were punnin'!)
(Now you'd better start a-runnin'!)
(What made you think she'd miss all your tries?)
(Wah-ooo, wah-ooo)
(You're a big molpy now but she'll cut you down to size!)
(Wah-ooo, wait and see)
:lol: meep meep zip bang!

Mr Moriaty wrote:Interestingly she drew the map north up. It means they must have some concept of magnetic north.
All the beanie-maps were that way up, weren't they? Magnets will still work, so I guess the poles either haven't flipped yet, or flipped twice - sometimes they do that pretty quickly:
Spoiler:
Although ‘pretty quickly’ does seem to be closer to millions of years than to tens of thousands.*

Aluisio wrote:Not one of them. I can't quite ascertain what that creature is. It looks human but… not. What I know is that it looks remarkably alive, as if only sleeping. I'll get around it, get a bett
Eep, that's not a good place to cut off!

I'm glad you're okay, lmjb, even if you're on very riverish coma!
lmjb wrote:Oh dear, blind pope. Non-optional decree: try to avoid having one of your spend all day drinking then threaten one of your other neighbors with a gun, then hole up in his trailer while your street ends up looking the three seen at the end of The Blues Brothers, with law enforcement and military swarming all over.
How about I instead I get to the flying raftcastle depot 2 np early because of my m*stardch*rped leg, then sit for an extra np because the flight's delayed? It's all good, though - the delay would have meant that I had only .5 np to drag myself a fair distance, but my second flight's delayed longer than the first, so I have plenty of Time to molpy-limp along. Might even have a chance to throw a rope over a ledge. (azule, by ‘throw a rope over a ledge’ I mean pee, not the other thing Cue looked like he might be doing. Just so's you know...)

*A thousand hairy savages,
Sitting down to lunch.
Gobble gobble,
Glup glup,
Munch munch munch.
-Spike Milligan

I think I need to get some coma...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:40 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:Interestingly she drew the map north up. It means they must have some concept of magnetic north.
All the beanie-maps were that way up, weren't they? Magnets will still work, so I guess the poles either haven't flipped yet, or flipped twice - sometimes they do that pretty quickly:
Spoiler:
Although ‘pretty quickly’ does seem to be closer to millions of years than to tens of thousands.*

a. I really hope flipping poles is quick. I assume that during the flip there is temporary no magnetic field and that would mean:
      1. No satellites. They get fried during the first dip.
      2. Outside means factor 10,000 sunscreen or skin cancer.
    b. I really hope flipping poles is slow. That way we can enjoy the aurora borealis everywhere.
    c. North up isn't the only logical conclusion of the way a compass works. The first compasses, the Chinese Si Nan, pointed south. Just as useful if you are used to it.
    d. I would hazard a guess that the Beanies use north up maps because we use north up maps. Most current GPS and paper maps will be gone by the year 13K but future maps will be made in the same style as current ones: north up. Besides, there are maps that have been carved in stone (decoratively). Those will last a few centuries. Maybe sufficient to keep the map style that way, which means the new maps that have been carved from stone will also be made north up, and so forth.
    e. ...
    f. Molpies!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:03 am UTC

It begins to show.

there's never enough, never enough, always need more

Maybe it's them, I think. Maybe they're selfish and inclined to idolize only a few. Maybe they're horrid and ugly and they don't deserve my presence. Maybe they're not intelligent and not wise and not any fun at all.

A planted seed needs tending, lest it wither and die of cold one winter when its sapling is a meter tall and showing promise.

Maybe it's me, I wonder. Maybe I'm too detached, too aloof from the events of this world. Perhaps I haven't done enough and my contributions of old are being forgotten. It would be understandable, as time marches on without regard for me.

the self, the ego, the conception of one's own identity; who decided to give me the power to make decision about that?

Maybe life's too busy, I muse, and time too finite. Maybe with this and that and important things and necessary measures there's just not enough time to go there, to do anything of worth. Maybe I'm not in control.

Maybe I'm wrong about everything.

Worse, maybe I'm right about something.

A wise old teacher once said unto me, "Take your excuses and " the rest of the wisdom probably doesn't bear repeating. A wise young psychology teacher once told me of fundamental attribution error, how individuals are inclined to blame external factors for their own failures, but personal disposition for failures of others. So why am I still making them like a crowded, dark warehouse in urban china makes mobile phones?

A psychologist of dubious wisdom and middling age once remarked that the central conflict of a teenage life is "Identity vs. Role Confusion." Why do I always view myself as an exception? Life has faultlessly shown me that this is never the case. Someone told me I was all that, someone praised my intelligence, and someone set me back for years. Someone got it into my head that I was something special. Cursèd is the liar's tongue.

No one starts out special. Billions of human genomes have been born and billions will again. Mine isn't any different until it does something to itself in relation to other genomes.

Lightly dancing upon the breeze, a soft sound of senseless discontent emerges unheeded.
Spoiler:
What I'm trying to say is that I'm in a critical period right now. Nothing extreme is happening in my personal life, at least, nothing outside of my head. I haven't been on the thread much lately because of school and programming and games and apathy. I came back, and in the five pages that had passed over 4 or so days, I saw no mention of myself. For some reason, this sent me into crisis. I'm almost done with school, just have a few finals to take care of, I lost a meaningless election that I didn't even want to win, and I backed my car into my grandparents' rental car at 5mph, but caused enough damage to allow the rental car company to extract teeth. I haven't gotten more than 7 hours of sleep in a night in 3 weeks, which doesn't sound so bad, but the deficit builds up.

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me or give me advice, but I thought it best to explain myself. Even if it's not necessary.

I'm not leaving, I'm just rethinking. I have 5 days between school ending on the 18th and job on the 23rd. Maybe I'll do something interesting with my limited autonomy.

Eternal Density

HOW IS MOLPHIN FORMED? HOW OTTERCOMIC GET PRAGNENT?

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:27 am UTC

I notice that wolepy (i.e. doge) has been added to AUTOMOME :D

WOW - SO RAPTORCAT - MANY MOUNTAINISH - SUCH CHIRPING - VERY VITSSÅGEN - MUCH TREEISH - HAIL RANDALL

Also I like how the userscript means I don't have to manually get a subject line anymore :D Though maybe I kinda miss it too.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Neil_Boekend

Re: ...

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:51 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
It begins to show.

there's never enough, never enough, always need more

Maybe it's them, I think. Maybe they're selfish and inclined to idolize only a few. Maybe they're horrid and ugly and they don't deserve my presence. Maybe they're not intelligent and not wise and not any fun at all.

A planted seed needs tending, lest it wither and die of cold one winter when its sapling is a meter tall and showing promise.

Maybe it's me, I wonder. Maybe I'm too detached, too aloof from the events of this world. Perhaps I haven't done enough and my contributions of old are being forgotten. It would be understandable, as time marches on without regard for me.

the self, the ego, the conception of one's own identity; who decided to give me the power to make decision about that?

Maybe life's too busy, I muse, and time too finite. Maybe with this and that and important things and necessary measures there's just not enough time to go there, to do anything of worth. Maybe I'm not in control.

Maybe I'm wrong about everything.

Worse, maybe I'm right about something.

A wise old teacher once said unto me, "Take your excuses and " the rest of the wisdom probably doesn't bear repeating. A wise young psychology teacher once told me of fundamental attribution error, how individuals are inclined to blame external factors for their own failures, but personal disposition for failures of others. So why am I still making them like a crowded, dark warehouse in urban china makes mobile phones?

A psychologist of dubious wisdom and middling age once remarked that the central conflict of a teenage life is "Identity vs. Role Confusion." Why do I always view myself as an exception? Life has faultlessly shown me that this is never the case. Someone told me I was all that, someone praised my intelligence, and someone set me back for years. Someone got it into my head that I was something special. Cursèd is the liar's tongue.

No one starts out special. Billions of human genomes have been born and billions will again. Mine isn't any different until it does something to itself in relation to other genomes.

Lightly dancing upon the breeze, a soft sound of senseless discontent emerges unheeded.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm in a critical period right now. Nothing extreme is happening in my personal life, at least, nothing outside of my head. I haven't been on the thread much lately because of school and programming and games and apathy. I came back, and in the five pages that had passed over 4 or so days, I saw no mention of myself. For some reason, this sent me into crisis. I'm almost done with school, just have a few finals to take care of, I lost a meaningless election that I didn't even want to win, and I backed my car into my grandparents' rental car at 5mph, but caused enough damage to allow the rental car company to extract teeth. I haven't gotten more than 7 hours of sleep in a night in 3 weeks, which doesn't sound so bad, but the deficit builds up.

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me or give me advice, but I thought it best to explain myself. Even if it's not necessary.

I'm not leaving, I'm just rethinking. I have 5 days between school ending on the 18th and job on the 23rd. Maybe I'll do something interesting with my limited autonomy.

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
This thinking is one of the ways into wisdom IMHO. Not everyone is smart enough to think about their own limits and possibilities.
"Nobody starts out special" is good to know and mostly true¤. However, you became special since then. Your path, even the steps you took but have never thought of, makes you especially suitable for something. You just need to find what that is.
Go into the wide world. Make mistakes. Learn from them. Have a job you decide isn't it so you can decide what IS it. What aspects of a job are important to you is something you can only learn when it is lacking.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Be afraid not to learn from them.

¤Nature vs nurture discussions aside.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 am UTC

As I was playing Spore, I watched in satisfaction as my ships ravaged the last of the remaining empire's colonies. Smirking, I sped to their home planet and purchased it for §1,000,000 (a small sum, as my purple spice planets proliferated profit). As the empire dissolved into the night, I was alone.

I was alone.

Space is terribly vast and dark and cold.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 am UTC

Love the ottification, BlueCrab. :mrgreen:

PricklymolpUNG:

Bummer to hear about the apathy-life-mustard, ChronosDragon. It happens to the best of us now and then. I personally presumed that you were busy with the school/work transition, and would be otting with us again as Outside things settled down. This mip seems to be a mip of journey or transition or other Outside activity for many, so it's not unusual to see people going quiet for a wip or two (and then hopefully resurfacing). The sea of the Outside is very, very big.

And just because we don't mention our basementees and other absent OTTers doesn't mean we aren't thinking of them or missing them. Especially when the needle-pulled thing's rate of posts is slow, I remember names and avatars that used to molpy about in here. :( I hope some of them are still lurking, or might drop in to post again some Time. It's epsilon to see the thread go on without you (as happened to me while I was moving), and maybe even sad, but it's actually a molpish thing, because that means the community is still a living one and will be there for you when you return.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np2020

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:10 am UTC

SUNGSPIELE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THERE IS A VATICAN MILLINER'S PERFECT CUSTOMER IN MY MOLPHIN, YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

-- posted by oldpixbot

Eternal Density

WE'RE GONNA NEED A MORE SEAISH OTTERMOLPY

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:38 am UTC

Link wrote:
slinches wrote:CD, I don't think Linux..
Spoiler:
is significantly different in that regard compared to Windows. On both, with a bit of experience, you'll learn how to anticipate and avoid most major problems. The biggest difference is that you're more likely to find a solution online for your exact Windows problem, but if you can't you're up a radioactive creek without a raftcastle. Whereas in Linux you'll find pre-prepared solutions less often, but nearly always have the tools/info to find your own solution (given enough time and interest). And Linux will continue to get better at having "canned" solutions as long as usage continues to increase.
[/soapbox]
It's definitely true that Linux...
Spoiler:
gives you a powerful set of diagnostic tools and potential work-arounds. If something fails, even if it's a GUI application, running it from the terminal usually makes it spew out helpful information. If you can't diagnose the problem from that, you can attach a debugger and get more info. Then there's the possibility of looking at the source code to see where the hitch is. If you can't figure it out, the community is generally very helpful (provided you help them to help you, e.g. by starting with specifying exactly what fails instead of just stating "it nuh wuk"). If you still can't solve the problem, most programs have multiple alternatives.

Othercomic 456 is quite true as well, but the advantage is that every time you move up that ladder, you learn skills that make solving further problems easier. I myself have used Gentoo for quite a few yips now, and once you get it to work, most problems you'll encounter will be quite easy to solve. What you get in return for the effort of learning how to use it is a system that can be adapted to fit every need you might have. To a certain extent, other distributions can do that as well, but the "sensible" defaults chosen by them make it very easy to just ignore or quietly accept minor quirks and flaws, whereas Gentoo's "learn or die" model makes it easier to say "I want it this way and you will obey me". Back when I used Windows, I could scarcely imagine a system with that flexibility. When I started using Linux, I found out that it's possible to have an OS that works with you instead of bossing you around. It wasn't until after I got Gentoo working that I realised I could be in complete control of my system, and it doesn't even take a seaish amount of experience and a formal CS education to get to that point.

Relatedly, my new organised sand should arrive next wip. I'm looking forward to installing Gentoo again. There's a lot of new tech I haven't worked with yet: GPT, UEFI, SSDs, btrfs... I'm also going to attempt to turn a very ancient organised sand into a router and VPN server this summer, which means more dunejumpish things to learn!

And with that, I molpy down.
I kinda regret being in the basement mucking around with Linux distros which unbeknownst to me, this conversation was ongoing.
(Mint 17 RC is pretty cool, though I had some weird glitches running it in a VM.)
I had a lot of difficulty running a Live USB: I eventually figured out how to make it run in failsafe graphics mode and then was able to get into the GUI successfully, where I could make it use actual NVIDIA graphics drivers. Steambottle.
Now I'm trying to upgrade from 13.10 to 14.04 and I'm having... issues. Or maybe it just takes a lot longer than I expected, but surely even a 900MB .tar.gz shouldn't take several hours to extract. Epsilon.

Sorry for pretending I'm participating in a discussion that was over many dips ago.

ETA
more molpishly, I just returned for a riverish walk up my local hill, upon which I saw the sun set. (I actually happened to look at the very moment the sun vanished below the horizon.) Anyhow, I was wearing my new glasses (I acquired my first subscription yesterdip! I've been short sighted in one eye for a lONG time but never bothered to do anything about it before.) And seeing the sun reflecting pinkorange off the clouds very nearly overhead in actual 3D for the first time I can remember was very wingish! Basically my glasses are like 3D glasses: I can see fine without them but since one eye is fuzzy (which I don't really notice) I don't see any real 3D detail. So yeah it's pretty amazing and has brought me happiness.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1244

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:30 am UTC

VAPORONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Link

THAT'S NOT A CUEGANITE; _THIS_ IS A CUEGANITE

Postby Link » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I notice that wolepy (i.e. doge) has been added to AUTOMOME :D

WOW - SO RAPTORCAT - MANY MOUNTAINISH - SUCH CHIRPING - VERY VITSSÅGEN - MUCH TREEISH - HAIL RANDALL

Also I like how the userscript means I don't have to manually get a subject line anymore :D Though maybe I kinda miss it too.
It was mrob27 who added the Doge meme; I just copied it. The user script is unfortunately still somewhat mustardy; it doesn't change the subject line when you quote someone, for example.

Regarding Linux and the like: I've assembled my new organised sand and am currently installing Gentoo on it. It took many newpices to even get it to boot properly, because apparently, Gigabyte motherboards have an extremely mustardy UEFI implementation. I also couldn't get GRUB2 to work, so I ditched it in favour of rEFInd, but then I had to deal with even more EFI mustard. Anyway, now that it boots, I'm building my Gentoo configuration. I've rebuilt everything with GCC 4.8, the Gold linker, and LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed. I also have / and /usr on two SSDs using btrfs RAID1. All of that combined, plus the fact that I have an octacore processor and 16GB of PC3-14900 MALESHEEPY (such an awesomeful word that I'm stealing it!), means I have a ridiculously raptorcattish system.

Regarding glasses: I remember the first time I got glasses and being able to see birds in the sky. That was baobabish!

Anyway, another announcement:

AUTOMOME 2.1 RELEASED

This seaish update brings:
  • 6 new memes
  • Some additional vocabulary
  • A few riverish changes to existing vocabulary

AUTOMOME wrote:PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH AMTOO GIBRALTAR WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 am UTC

Awesomeful molpymolpygrapeviriations, BlitzGirl!

mscha wrote:GOOLAGUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:A WILD MOMEPRICKLYMOLP11 APPEARS

FTFA

Treeish ottification, BlueCrab!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:45 am UTC

1190.bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info started working again. Just when I lost all hope. But I'm still going to get a real domain somewhere in the not-so-far-away-future.

The worst exam week is over. Now back to blitzing.

azule wrote:But in this case wouldn't it be pronounced essentially the same? (ma'pee, mawpee, where they both "have" a trailing 'w' on the first syllable, which is actually silent and just tells us how to pronounce the 'a'.) My English might be different than yours. My English might be different than my English. Malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy malpy małpy...
[...]
Thanks for pointing this out. I think this proves my point a little. The point that the l/ł distinction is not that important and that it's probably just for the sake of identifying vowel pronunciations.
In the Polish word "małpy" and not only:
L/Ł is important. If you use L instead of Ł in Polish you will be understood but you'll sound wrong. Although I know at least one example when replacing the Ł with L in a word completely changes the meaning making it nsfw. Pronounciation of vowels is not affected by conosants. Each vowel has one way of pronouncing it. I know only one exception from this rule (ETA: more than one). And we don't have "silent conosants" (that's why "Balthasar" is a wrong spelling of my name).
But still, with all what I said; when I heard someone saying "Małpy, małpy, małpy." you know what my first thought was . . .

Pope: room?
I have a room under the roof. In summer I have to cover my window with 3 layers of bedsheets to block the sunlight, otherwise it gets too hot there. I have a a long thin (about 15cm) horizontal row of wall directly under the roof. A perfect place for a panorama. I must do it somewhere in the future. You can see the room in the film.

AluisioASG wrote:I used to have a storyline with this origin. Except we built a spaceship. It was named Behemoth.
The storyline or the spaceship?

BlitzGirl wrote:Beanienananananana demboat. Image
(That's a lot of balthanomers, boathazar!)
And that post made you a goat(hazar).

And, even if we don't write anything about it doesn't mean that we didn't notice a dragon-shaped hole in the thread. And if you look close enough you will notice yourself in some of my blitzreports
Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:01 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

MistyCat

Re: WE'RE GONNA NEED A MORE SEAISH OTTERMOLPY

Postby MistyCat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:48 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:more molpishly, I just returned for a riverish walk up my local hill, upon which I saw the sun set. (I actually happened to look at the very moment the sun vanished below the horizon.) Anyhow, I was wearing my new glasses (I acquired my first subscription yesterdip! I've been short sighted in one eye for a lONG time but never bothered to do anything about it before.) And seeing the sun reflecting pinkorange off the clouds very nearly overhead in actual 3D for the first time I can remember was very wingish! Basically my glasses are like 3D glasses: I can see fine without them but since one eye is fuzzy (which I don't really notice) I don't see any real 3D detail. So yeah it's pretty amazing and has brought me happiness.

Let's hear it for acuity happiness!

I was born myopic. Really myopic. It wasn't discovered until I was eight years old, because in close-up, I had eyes like a microscope. The day I got my glasses, I came home and looked at the tree outside my bedroom window. I saw leaves! I'd never seen leaves, just a greenish blur. That picture is eidetic now, sixty years later.
I had a deja vu experience three years ago, when I was operated on for cataracts in both eyes. (One eye is very mis-shapen and the anesthetic needle couldn't quite deliver what it should have done, so I could see the scalpel cutting my eye. (You may now shudder. (It was so worth it.))) Anyhow, there simply are not words to describe my first look at the world after the first operation. On second thoughts, yes, there are. Bright. Light. Sharpness. Details. Accuracy. Living.
I relate seaishly to your happiness.

Huh. Deja vu. See what I (in a totally non-punsawishly way) did there?

Link wrote:Regarding glasses: I remember the first time I got glasses and being able to see birds in the sky. That was baobabish!
Yup.

ChronosDragon, read the 17th devotion of John Donne. You are not alone.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:27 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me or give me advice

You should have stated this up front. (I can't find the relevant scene, but it's from Unstoppable, when they try to use a derailer.)

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:I came back, and in the five pages that had passed over 4 or so days, I saw no mention of myself. For some reason, this sent me into crisis.

Every time I stop posting because of a RNM. Go, check it out. Try to find a reference to me.
The thing is, we don't usually talk about non-active posters because there's nothing new to talk about them.

ChronosDragon wrote:Perhaps I haven't done enough and my contributions of old are being forgotten.

You're what, 18? That's about ¼ of the current average for human life. I'd say there's enough time still.

ChronosDragon wrote:So why am I still making them like a crowded, dark warehouse in urban China makes mobile phones?

Bugs don't fix themselves. One day, maybe, but we're not there yet.

ChronosDragon wrote:Why do I always view myself as an exception? Life has faultlessly shown me that this is never the case. Someone told me I was all that, someone praised my intelligence, and someone set me back for years. Someone got it into my head that I was something special.

Ah, I know the feeling. Has been slowly bleeding out of me since I got to uni. Just adjust your expectations and (THEN) try to improve.

After azule mentioned kitnoki yesterday, I got thinking of her. And CameronCat. And PhoenixRising. And charlie_grumbles. Hmm, Sublime completed some of these. What's on my notes tab?
  • mathrec
  • bmonk
  • akacat
  • Caswallon
  • fhorn
  • PhoenixRising
  • kryton - Accidental Time Tourist
  • udscbt

Eternal Density wrote:I've been short sighted in one eye for a lONG time but never bothered to do anything about it before.

One day. Maybe. (Who am I kidding? Replacing an eye would require surgery, and I ain't doing it. Oh, and we don't have replacements.)²
I wonder how different my world is from yours.

I should outsource my Chromium builds to you, Link.

balthasar_s wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I used to have a storyline with this origin. Except we built a spaceship. It was named Behemoth.

The storyline or the spaceship?

The ship. And this is why.

² At least it got me out of military service.

ETA: Is the rhythm of “molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine” an Outside thing? Because LoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerMushroomMushroom.
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

WOLPIES ARE THE NEW CUEGANITES

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:46 am UTC

Link wrote:Regarding Linux and the like: I've assembled my new organised sand and am currently installing Gentoo on it. It took many newpices to even get it to boot properly, because apparently, Gigabyte motherboards have an extremely mustardy UEFI implementation. I also couldn't get GRUB2 to work, so I ditched it in favour of rEFInd, but then I had to deal with even more EFI mustard.
AUTOMOME wrote:PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH AMTOO GIBRALTAR WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

I fell for the trick of:
1. Install Mint alongside Win7
2. Decide that's not working how I want and delete the Mint partition to replace it with Ubuntu
3. GRUB2 was actually looking for it's config data in the Mint partition: no Windows!
4. Attempt to fix EFI m*stard to to forget GRUB2 and just load windows (booting to live USB was unaffected of course so I could still look stuff up)
5. Attempts failed so I just installed Ubuntu and hoped (with a fairly high degree of confidence) that this would just fix everything
6. It did :D

Also, this was clearly written by the department of redundancy department who wrote it. Steambottle!
[edit url m*stard]
ETA
macraw83 wrote:
SchizoBlitz Report #13
This report is brought to you by the number 150.

Been a little over a wip since my last report, but I have actually made some progress this time (about 50NP worth, at my count).

I'm really liking the idea of wipend puzzles. I like the fact that they're chronicled on the Wiki even more, since that means I can go back and do them at my leisure after my Blitz. I have been double-checking the list the last few dozen NP, to ensure that the Wiki isn't missing any, and so far it has been good. Except for ED's "Seven OTTish Words" game from NP1605-1606, so I did those to the best of my ability (though I'm apparently not very good, there were a couple where I could only figure out about half).

I'd totally forgotten about that minihotdog! I wonder if i still have the javascript I made to help generate those...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: WE'RE GONNA NEED A MORE SEAISH OTTERMOLPY

Postby SBN » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

I will say that I definitely thought about you, but I've been doing a lot of writing posts and then deleting them instead of posting them.
But I was talking with my daughter about a wolpy named Drago, so you and our other OTTish dragons came to mind. Oh, and I think it was you that first posted about Daily Science Fiction, and I'm working my way through that.

It's too early in the year, but this summer you should go to Jetty Island and build a sandcastle.
MistyCat wrote:
Link wrote:Regarding glasses: I remember the first time I got glasses and being able to see birds in the sky. That was baobabish!
Yup.

I remember leaves the first time too. And the year my parents managed to schedule my eye exam before our summer vacation, instead of just before school started, and I could see the deer when we went camping.

AluisioASG wrote:
ETA: Is the rhythm of “molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine” an Outside thing? Because LoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerLoggerMushroomMushroom.

Yes. I think this started it. http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgers. I could be wrong about that.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time Revisited - np2025

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

HARDUNGGRASSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IT'S OTTERS ALL THE WAY DOWN

-- posted by oldpixbot

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:You're what, 18? That's about ¼ of the current average for human life. I'd say there's enough time still.

Let me think... There's an 18, and that's a quarter of... carry the 1...
Oh good. Five years to go. I should have most of the landmines in my lawn by then.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1245

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

BESIEGONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

My unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
Get more sleep.
I don't have any wisdom I can share on any weighty matters, but I do know that
everything tends to suck when there's not enough sleep.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

My unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
Don't try to cuddle Lucky.

he/him/his

ergman

Apparantly, I'm bad at not giving advice.

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

Man, I thought CD's was part of the Aluisio story at first. Would that it were, but welcome! These directionless introspection a happen to everyone. They're pointless, but it's impossible to ignore them as well. Sleep, forget, create. I won't give advice, but hello! Welcome! You are the farthest thing from forgotten!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re:    

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

the ED of several yips ago wrote:
Spoiler:
pillow - not enough medicine

Caanan - a sugar cane plantation

Caananite - a sugar plantation in the dark

fortune - when a quartet adjust their pitch

fortunate - when a quartet adjust the pitch of 2 instruments each

someone - 1+1=2

atmosphere - located in a ball of moss

instrument - a thing you're meant to strum

meringue - French for merino [ED note: that's a breed of sheep]

closet - something you'd better not leave open

frequency - when you look at something often

often - nine or eleven

garden - a place where guards live

infantry - a young tree

nursery - a place where nurses are taught

taught - when your brain is stretched

rhubarb - sharp wire kangaroos can't jump over

highway cop - what I do before I get out of bed in the morning

There's a thread in Forum Games for those. These don't count as puns, BG?

And CD... I'll just say, I know how you feel. If that means anything. Don't know what else to say, so I'll just leave it at that.

AluisioASG

Closing the page, opening the decade.

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm UTC

Something serious, at last:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon, good luck. We're all counting on you.
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”