Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Crissa
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Crissa » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:08 pm UTC

So the first legal marijuana retail store opened in Vancouver, WA yesterday.

It looked very bland, little UV-blocking pouched of dried buds.

They were proud of their ten pounds of inventory.

-Crissa

User avatar
Brace
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC
Location: Denver, Co
Contact:

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Brace » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

User avatar
Crissa
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Crissa » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

Yeah, for a few months. It's been decriminalized in Washington that time, too. But I looked for a thread, and no one posted a thread about it. So I started a thread.

I didn't actually go in the store because I had to catch a plane. And carrying it on a plane seemed like a dumb idea when I can get it at home.

Not that I use. I can count the times on one hand.

-Crissa

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

I've never used it...and have no inclination to do so, legal or not, but I am curious as to the cultural trends involved.

What was your general impression of the store, the shoppers, etc?

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I've never used it...and have no inclination to do so

Why not?

What was your general impression of the store, the shoppers, etc?

They are people...about 15% of which - in CO - smoke multiple times monthly, which is likely to and hopefully does increase as it generally leads to less alcohol consumption. Attempting to generalize the 'culture of weed smokers' is more ridiculous that trying to generalize gay culture.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

I read something about the industry generating like 1.5 million dollars in tax revenue in CO. That seems neat.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10498
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I've never used it...and have no inclination to do so

Why not?


Some people don't want narcotics. It's no worse than people not wanting to get drunk.

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:38 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I've never used it...and have no inclination to do so

Why not?


Some people don't want narcotics. It's no worse than people not wanting to get drunk.

who said anything about it being worse than anything else?
What made you assume any intention besides honest inquiry?

Izawwlgood wrote:I read something about the industry generating like 1.5 million dollars in tax revenue in CO. That seems neat.

At least 2 million in just Jan of 2014.
There are conflicting sources, and apparently made more in Feb.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I've never used it...and have no inclination to do so

Why not?


I find the concept of getting high to be uninteresting. My experiences with mood-altering substances consist entirely of booze, cigarettes, and post-surgery pain-killers, granted, but I simply do not understand the appeal(and thus, do not smoke, drink only socially, etc). Also, caffiene, I suppose, but that's really stretching. I can't see a practical reason to pursue such a hobby either, so....

As a libertarian, I'm for it being legal, but I have no personal interest in it whatsoever.

What was your general impression of the store, the shoppers, etc?

They are people...about 15% of which - in CO - smoke multiple times monthly, which is likely to and hopefully does increase as it generally leads to less alcohol consumption. Attempting to generalize the 'culture of weed smokers' is more ridiculous that trying to generalize gay culture.


Nonsense. You can generalize the patrons of nearly every place. Walmart, I'm sure, is patronized by a great many people, but "people of walmart" puts sort of a distinctive image in one's head.

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:55 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:drink only socially

Would you smoke pot socially?

Nonsense. You can generalize the patrons of nearly every place. Walmart, I'm sure, is patronized by a great many people, but "people of walmart" puts sort of a distinctive image in one's head.

And this is something you find valuable rather than destructive?

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:drink only socially

Would you smoke pot socially?


Unlikely, for the same reasons that I do not smoke cigarettes socially. Alcohol happens to come in drinks that are sometimes tasty, even if one does not wish to become drunk. Cigarettes and pot lack such an appeal.

Nonsense. You can generalize the patrons of nearly every place. Walmart, I'm sure, is patronized by a great many people, but "people of walmart" puts sort of a distinctive image in one's head.

And this is something you find valuable rather than destructive?


...yes. Of course. I cannot possibly know personally every patron of walmart. Therefore, generalizations are necessary.

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:...yes. Of course. I cannot possibly know personally every patron of walmart. Therefore, generalizations are necessary.

yeah, like black people like watermelons, fried chicken. Quite useful, necessary even, not destructive at all. Good thinking.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:...yes. Of course. I cannot possibly know personally every patron of walmart. Therefore, generalizations are necessary.

yeah, like black people like watermelons, fried chicken. Quite useful, necessary even, not destructive at all. Good thinking.

Surely you recognize that there's a bit of a difference between market demographics and racial profiling?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:...yes. Of course. I cannot possibly know personally every patron of walmart. Therefore, generalizations are necessary.

yeah, like black people like watermelons, fried chicken. Quite useful, necessary even, not destructive at all. Good thinking.

Surely you recognize that there's a bit of a difference between market demographics and racial profiling?

Quite. I also recognize that when the target market is this large that even calling it a 'demographic' is being disingenuous with the word demographic. And while there is a bit of a difference the point is still quite relevant.

Asking for details on the culture of the people who buy cars, eat chocolate or drink soda is maybe twice as absurd, but only that.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:...yes. Of course. I cannot possibly know personally every patron of walmart. Therefore, generalizations are necessary.

yeah, like black people like watermelons, fried chicken. Quite useful, necessary even, not destructive at all. Good thinking.


I cannot imagine how the pro-pot crowd managed to get an image as a lot of hippies who are destructive to society. :roll:

I'm not hating on legal pot. I'm fine with that. I'm just uninterested in trying it out, and curious about social effects. Not sure why that bothers you so much, or why you think any kind of demographic discussion is inherently evil.

Zcorp wrote:Asking for details on the culture of the people who buy cars, eat chocolate or drink soda is maybe twice as absurd, but only that.


Uh...none of those things are ridiculous. Observing that young people in cities are less likely to buy cars is interesting. Observing that Americans drink a crapton of soda is interesting. Not sure why you think it's absurd to discuss demographics here.

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:...yes. Of course. I cannot possibly know personally every patron of walmart. Therefore, generalizations are necessary.

yeah, like black people like watermelons, fried chicken. Quite useful, necessary even, not destructive at all. Good thinking.


I cannot imagine how the pro-pot crowd managed to get an image as a lot of hippies who are destructive to society. :roll:

I'm not hating on legal pot. I'm fine with that. I'm just uninterested in trying it out, and curious about social effects. Not sure why that bothers you so much, or why you think any kind of demographic discussion is inherently evil.

I think generalizing large groups with lots of diversity within them, and even great diversity for the reason for a behavior they are being grouped into is inherently stupid.

Not once have I accused you of hating on legal pot, and asking about subjective details on the people who buy pot is a terrible way to understand the social/societal effects of legal pot.

Zcorp wrote:Asking for details on the culture of the people who buy cars, eat chocolate or drink soda is maybe twice as absurd, but only that.


Uh...none of those things are ridiculous. Observing that young people in cities are less likely to buy cars is interesting. Observing that Americans drink a crapton of soda is interesting. Not sure why you think it's absurd to discuss demographics here.

All of those things are ridiculous, asking about them gets us information that is the opposite of useful. The variance and diversity within all of those behaviors prevents any reasonable generalization, which means you are just left with unreasonable and harmful ones. Asking about a store or its shopers, when there are this many of them and expecting to get any detailed or accurate understanding of the pot culture is just silly.

Asking about specific things about specific groups within the group of people who purchase pot, like you just broke down young people in cities likeliness of purchasing cars (three qualifications which actually make your statement about a demographic) can potentially yield interesting data. Asking about a store and its shoppers and expecting to get any understanding is not interesting in anyway, it is just foolish.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:I think generalizing large groups with lots of diversity within them, and even great diversity for the reason for a behavior they are being grouped into is inherently stupid.

Not once have I accused you of hating on legal pot, and asking about the people who buy pot is a terrible way to understand the social/societal effects of legal pot.


I've discussed potential social/societal effects in abstract plenty. Detailed statistics about these effects post legalization are still limited, and no doubt do not yet include Crissa's area. Crissa noting that it had come to her area was clearly discussing personal experience, not studies, etc. I responded in kind.

Zcorp wrote:Asking for details on the culture of the people who buy cars, eat chocolate or drink soda is maybe twice as absurd, but only that.


Uh...none of those things are ridiculous. Observing that young people in cities are less likely to buy cars is interesting. Observing that Americans drink a crapton of soda is interesting. Not sure why you think it's absurd to discuss demographics here.

All of those things are ridiculous, asking about them gets us information that is the opposite of useful. The variance and diversity within all of those behaviors prevents any reasonable generalization, which means you are just left with unreasonable and harmful ones. Asking about a store or its shopers, when there are this many of them and expecting to get any detailed or accurate understanding of the pot culture is just silly.

Asking about specific things about specific groups within the group of people who purchase pot, like you just broke down young people in cities purchasing cares (two qualifications which actually make your statement about a demographic) can potentially yield interesting data. Asking about a store and its shoppers and expecting to get any understanding is not interesting in anyway, it is just foolish.


I own a store. A great many people shop there. Many, many possible interesting responses exist to describe the clientle. The "all sorts shop here" is technically true, and is the safe, banal answer to avoid offense or longer discussion. However, very distinct trends exist. I imagine this is true for essentially any store. You can step into a given coffee shop and say "ah, this is marketed as a 'natural products' sort of place", despite coffee being widely enjoyed, and observe a specific customer base as a result.

I'm curious what demographics stores are marketing towards, if there is any apparent disconnect between the desired image and the actual customer base, stuff like that.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:I think generalizing large groups with lots of diversity within them, and even great diversity for the reason for a behavior they are being grouped into is inherently stupid.

Not once have I accused you of hating on legal pot, and asking about subjective details on the people who buy pot is a terrible way to understand the social/societal effects of legal pot.
I'm including the whole portion here, because I strongly agree with the second, but mildly disagree with the first, which is admittedly, a sidetrack;
A demographic of 'people who shop at Walmart' was a somewhat clumsy but not entirely off the mark point about how you can generalize about people based on predictors. It is racist to say that a black person is going to mug you. It is NOT racist to say that a black person very well may have been arrested, because, afterall, America sucks and statistics about crime enforcement bullshit is a thing.

Remember the thing where Target accurately predicted a teenagers pregnancy before she got a chance to tell her parents? You can actually tell things about people based on their shopping habits.

As for the second, 'the desire to seek relaxing intoxication' tells you very little about a person. 'Person who smokes weed' is about as descriptive as 'person who imbibes alcohol/coffee', which is to say, could mean just about anything. But it doesn't mean nothing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Zcorp
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Zcorp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

I own a store. A great many people shop there. Many, many possible interesting responses exist to describe the clientle. The "all sorts shop here" is technically true, and is the safe, banal answer to avoid offense or longer discussion.

If someone is making casual conversation and ask that question caring about giving offense or avoiding longer discussion might take priority over a useful answer. That however is not what this discussion is.

However, very distinct trends exist. I imagine this is true for essentially any store. You can step into a given coffee shop and say "ah, this is marketed as a 'natural products' sort of place", despite coffee being widely enjoyed, and observe a specific customer base as a result.

Fair enough I suppose.
I made the assumption that when you said you were curious about the cultural trends you did not mean of a particular store. Or if you didn't mean a particular store that your subsequent question about a particular store was something you would view as a valid representation of the larger culture.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10268
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby addams » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:06 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Zcorp wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I've never used it...and have no inclination to do so

Why not?


I find the concept of getting high to be uninteresting. My experiences with mood-altering substances consist entirely of booze, cigarettes, and post-surgery pain-killers, granted, but I simply do not understand the appeal(and thus, do not smoke, drink only socially, etc). Also, caffiene, I suppose, but that's really stretching. I can't see a practical reason to pursue such a hobby either, so....

As a libertarian, I'm for it being legal, but I have no personal interest in it whatsoever.

What was your general impression of the store, the shoppers, etc?

They are people...about 15% of which - in CO - smoke multiple times monthly, which is likely to and hopefully does increase as it generally leads to less alcohol consumption. Attempting to generalize the 'culture of weed smokers' is more ridiculous that trying to generalize gay culture.


Nonsense. You can generalize the patrons of nearly every place. Walmart, I'm sure, is patronized by a great many people, but "people of walmart" puts sort of a distinctive image in one's head.

Wine, Tyndmyr.
Think Wine.

Loads of people drink wine.
Some people drink it everyday.

We don't know much about a person if we know they drink wine.
We know almost as much about people that use Canabis.

Some people that use Canabis shop at WalMart.
Some people that use Canabis have Personal Shoppers.

To gain a better understanding read the Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Botany_of_Desire

The appeal?
I have no idea.

People will do the darnedest things.
Drinking wine and using Canabis are no way near the Weirdest things people do.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

It's all about the buzz. And the smell of a fresh bud is pleasurable.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:41 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:And the smell of a fresh bud is pleasurable.


I disagree.

User avatar
Crissa
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Crissa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
morriswalters wrote:And the smell of a fresh bud is pleasurable.

I disagree.

It... Depends. Greatly.

But yeah, mostly it's stinky. Then again, I don't like incense.

-Crissa

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10268
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby addams » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 am UTC

Crissa wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:
morriswalters wrote:And the smell of a fresh bud is pleasurable.

I disagree.

It... Depends. Greatly.

But yeah, mostly it's stinky. Then again, I don't like incense.

-Crissa

Not all incense is created Equal.
And; A person can over do, anything.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

I said the bud smells pretty good, not the smoke. I've stood in a field of pot and I like how it smells, a nutty kind of aroma. Smoke stinks.

User avatar
Crissa
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Crissa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:04 pm UTC

Still depends! I've smelled stuff that is indistinguishable from skunk cabbage (mostly hydroponics) and that which smelled like sandalwood and catnip (dry grown in Oregon).

And yes, I don't partake. I don't like the stuff.

-Crissa

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

Oh I loved it. However the costs became way too much. You had to become a criminal and associate with them to partake. Not to mention the damage done to people in other countries who had to share my habit with me, no matter what their personal predilections were.

User avatar
Crissa
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Crissa » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Oh I loved it. However the costs became way too much. You had to become a criminal and associate with them to partake. Not to mention the damage done to people in other countries who had to share my habit with me, no matter what their personal predilections were.

Whenever I offer someone a ride or do a favor for a neighbor, I get offered it.

Yeah, by definition they're then criminals, but that's somewhat circular arguing.

-Crissa

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:40 pm UTC

Crissa wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Oh I loved it. However the costs became way too much. You had to become a criminal and associate with them to partake. Not to mention the damage done to people in other countries who had to share my habit with me, no matter what their personal predilections were.

Whenever I offer someone a ride or do a favor for a neighbor, I get offered it.

Yeah, by definition they're then criminals, but that's somewhat circular arguing.

-Crissa
At the height of my involvement I went to score and the guy I was buying from had just been ripped off. He had dogs, people with guns and large amounts of cash. It struck me at that moment that I could get arrested or shot just because I wanted to get high. Call it what you want. But I called it quits. However it might be fun to go somewhere to buy it where it is legal, just to see what it feels like not to be looking over your shoulder.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10268
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby addams » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

As I was reading along on the internet following one link after the other,
I read part of this.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/opinion/z ... le_sidebar

I thought you might enjoy it.
Legal Marijuana is here.

That is settled.
What do you want to do, now?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Vahir
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Vahir » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

Here's a cracked article on the marijuana industry I found interesting: Link

The gist of it is that the industry is in dire need of regulation, as producers can grow pot pretty much without restriction in California.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby Tyndmyr » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

Flip side, apparently painkiller deaths are down 25% in states that legalized pot. I'd imagine stuff like this is normal growing pains for a budding industry(apologies for the pun). Pesticides and such are used on many other leafy products, and in such a way as to not cause harm when used, generally speaking. Right now, competition is probably weak, as there's a big market, and producers are new, trying desperately to ramp up to demand, and don't have all the kinks ironed out yet.

Give it a while, and those sorts of issues should subside.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10268
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Legal marijuana is here. Or there, I suppose.

Postby addams » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Vahir wrote:Here's a cracked article on the marijuana industry I found interesting: Link

The gist of it is that the industry is in dire need of regulation, as producers can grow pot pretty much without restriction in California.

ok. That was interesting.
Yes. I agree with Tyndmyr.
Each one of those issues should subside.

I have some first hand experience with some of those issues.
Where to start?

I live in the Area.
I Did Not Come Here To Grow Pot!
I Was Born Here! Not here, here.

Over there.
Over the hill.

I like it on this side of the hill better than on that side of the hill.

That is beside the point.
I am here.

See the Emerald Triangle?
There.

ok. The article mentioned Pot SweatShops.
That part bothers me.

I pick up hitchhikers.
I have picked up men that were on the edge of despair.

The stories I have heard.
The article speaks of people that come out 'smelling like a Rose'.

That is true.
Some people do.

Without regulation and oversight,
Some people don't come out.

I worry myself sick about those people.
Men and women are sometimes kept like old timey Slaves.

They are held in place with Promises.
One man worked for six months.
He did Hard Work.

They ate Beans and Rice and more Beans and Rice.
Suffering like we did at School; For the PayOff.

After the Harvest.
After the Triming.

He was left up in the Woods.
They even took his BackPack.

He had Nothing.
He had no one to turn to.

He had worked like a Slave for more than six month and all he got was tired.
The people need protection from each other.

Big Fucking Surprise There.
Almost All Law protects us from Each Other!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.


Return to “Serious Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests