The greatest dojo in all the world for learning the ancient art of searchfu
is near Mount Fuji, though few know exactly where.
It lies in the middle of a vast forest surrounded by dense stands of bamboo
and rocky chasms carved in the dark igneous rock
by roaring crystal-clear streams flowing down from the snow-covered mountain.
One must have a very sharp eye to find it, and agile legs to reach —
and thus, the student is taught
before even reaching the entrance-gate... 守炉部二十七Morobu-Niju-Nana
I hope you liked it!Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on NP1604
Do not open until NP2099
╰╮╰╮ Blitz Report ╭╯╭╯
In the time since my previous blitz-report
I have Schizo-Blitzed fifty pages: NP1554 - NP1604.Megan found me
in an event that from my own perspective timeline hasn't happened yet (it is in my afterwhen, but in your beforewhen). I feel honored to will-havenbeen in the OTC, and so soon after BlitzGirl
In a somewhat related way, I explain
how there can be many mrob27
's at a time and general TARDIS
wonkiness.waveney has begun
a second Beanie ONG series, which unfolds during the later 1500's. Kieryn begins
a series of drawings featuring characters who tie in to the current 'Fractories'.Neil_Boekend begins giving away hats
of a particularly sluggish nature. The effects of the ensuing slugopcalypse were seen by Blitzers and all, as they afftected the signatures and avatars.Kieryn notes
that my posts are an outlier in the statistic "number of times quoted divided by number of posts"
, later seen to be the result of my posts being seldom and typically containing lots of replies to multiple OTTers.
A chapter of "Acts of the Clerics" parodies Sandcastle Builder
the now-familiar modern newpix clock
(formerly at chronoscreations.net/misc/clock5.php
, which now 404s) with three dials and a number in the bottom-right corner.
NP1593 brings the arrival of Gingercat
Though Drawception was mentioned a few earlier times in the OTT, this post
was the start of a bunch of OTTer activity in the 1600's.
I release my first recorded song, One True Comic's Thread
based on "Chiron Beta Prime", followed by a list
of molpish OTT Jonathan Coulton songs (etc.).
At NP1600, a lot of OTTers recall how and when they joined and what was going on at the time, and/or "where were you half of Time ago?".
╰╮╰╮ How To Mrob ╭╯╭╯
I haven't done any true Blitzing since the early NP1800's. There are a lot of new OTTers who have appeared/delurked/revealer-the-recented since then, so I thought I would summarize my unique style of interaction.
- I read the OTT in the past: I do not have any browser window/tab open on a current/recent page. I read it in order, and the page I am on is seen below in my signature (currently around 1602). It also tells the total number of pages as of the current time, and the date on which I last Blitzed a page.
- I search for things using Emacs regular expressions in a huge textfile containing the entire OTT converted to a special markup language I invented.
- I also have a program ("nopixbot") that generates my OTT index, and it scans the latest OTT posts fairly often for references to me. Right now I sacn only for "mrob", "Timborme", "Morobu", and "Q04B" (but ignoring capitalization). Feel free to refer to me in ways that won't be detected, making it more likely that I won't see it until I actually Blitz to whatever page has the reference.
- You can of course get my attention using the Chronotransponder (mundanely called "PM") or in extreme circumstances put something in a signature.
- I periodically post Time-Capsules like this one, but most of my blitz-related comments are also in my detailed travelogue. Over Time this has become an increasingly thorough record of things I seem to think are worth remembering, like song OTTifications and Double-Dactyls.
╰╮╰╮ Some Comments ╭╯╭╯
Thanks for sharing some of the secrets of lost-post recovery. I long ago learned to do "select all" and "copy-to-clipboard" before hitting the Preview and/or Submit buttons. Later I started composing my posts in a textfile and I have something that automatically does "copy-to-clipboard" from the contents of that textfile. The result is, I no longer do any editing in the browser window. A userscript might help a few people, but I think copy-to-clipboard is the most universal solution I've found, and hit-back-a-bunch-of-times is at least as good.
ggh wrote: But.. but... wait... Did Morubu find what he was looking for?
Yes. Morobu was seeking the Dojo of Searchfu. A "dojo
" is a school of sorts. As the preface (repeated above) indicates, the student gets xer training through the process of seeking. To reinforce this, in chapter 76 mrob27
that they "have been in the Doju of Searchfu this whole time."
There are unresolved mysteries in the story, most obviously the thing with the ducks getting lost, which relate to a sequel which I have thought about. I told everyone this back on NP2006
. You might want to (re-)read that post. As for when I might get around to writing this, I'll let you know after the next chapter of the OTTscars.
In the meantime, follow the First Commandment and look out for Corinne.
WHAT IF A DIP OF **DISHNESS WERE, ALL OF A SUDDEN,
LITERALLY HALF DEMUSTARDED?
(Edit: add link to inter-chapter 78)