1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sustainabilizer

OTTer Meetup in Europe, Feb/Mar 2015

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

Update:
Thanks, everyone, for participating in
and contributing to my conference!

… and the OTTerCönnchen!

Historic Updates:

Dear fellow OTTers,

congratulations: complete sustainabilization is here.

macraw83 wrote:For a minute I was wondering if there would be an accidental OTTer meetup […]
Not an accidental one.

Sustainabilizer wrote:Thanks, balthranslator and ZoomanSP, for translating my poster. :)
This will become handy at the next conference which will be an international one.
This is the “next conference” I'm speaking of:
ott-conference-invitation.pdf
(82.72 KiB) Downloaded 616 times

I herewith invite the members of the OTT
– including Blitzers, Lurkers, and Basementees –
to a scientific conference
about sustainable online communities
– including a social event –
in Bochum, Germany,
February or March 2015.

In other words, I am inviting you
to an
OTTer Meetup!

Yes, this is for real.

How can this be?
  • I am a professor for <computery stuff> at the Sustainable University².
  • I love the OTT. It's flutterbeewingish.
  • GLR did not intend to create the OTT. Noone did.
    It's a wonder – a singularity.
  • The world needs more of this kind.
    Let's OTTify the world!
  • I have a scientific project where I'm trying to create a sustainable online community.
    The OTT is a sustainable online community.
    I want to understand how the OTT works.
    That's what the first part of OTTifying the world looks like.
  • So let's come together and do science.
    (Don't forget: We are all GLR: scientists and artists.)
    After that, let's stay together for a while and be molpish.
  • Place: The Sustainable University, 51.44703 7.27386,
    Hochschule Bochum, Germany, Europe.
    Time: some day(s?) in February or March 2015, whatever fits best for the participants.
    (Details will be announced here as soon as they have been determined.)
  • If you are interested, please let me know, and tell me which days in Feb/Mar 2015 would be molpish / less molpish / steambottlish for you.
    The sooner we can determine the number of participants, the better we can organise it.
  • Money is always a problem.
    Some of us will need money to take part; some of us won't.
    What I can do is to pay a fixed fee to every invited speaker.
    Spoiler:
    @HES: See, I'm hiring you. :)
    How this helps to solve the money problem for all interested OTTers is left to the gentle reader as an exercise. ;)
  • For details, please send me a PM or an email: sustainabilizer@chirpingmustard.com or sustainabilizer@gerwinski.de.
    Encryption is encouraged: (public key)

Code: Select all

pub   1024D/21439422 1998-08-23
          Key fingerprint = 9E7C 0FC4 8A62 5536 1730  A932 9834 65DB 2143 9422
    uid                  Peter Gerwinski (Hochschule Bochum) <peter.gerwinski@hs-bochum.de>
    uid                  Peter Gerwinski <peter@gerwinski.de>
    sub   2048g/FB5B2015 1998-08-23
  • For RELATED discussion, suggestions, planning etc. please post here.

²: The Hochschule Bochum (Bochum University of Applied Sciences) is a riverish university in Bochum, not to be confused with the Ruhr-Universität¹ Bochum.
Yes, there are many universities calling themselves “The Sustainable University”. Ours is not (yet) the most visible one. But wait for it.

Also: 101010 posts!
NSFW:
Spoiler:
Can anyone please enlighten me about that “Penis!” tradition on round numbers?
I have encountered it here, but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere else.

Also:
Decree

Spread the news.
Use your time-travelling abilities to inform the Blitzers.
Try to reach the basementees.
Post here whom you have contacted, so we don't spam anyone.
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 pm UTC, edited 20 times in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

patzer

Oh, I can edit this field? Neat.

Postby patzer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

*pops into OTT*

...An Outside meetup?7 Heretics! There is no place as holy as The One True Thread! As an Initiate of Time, the route our once-great Religion has taken is deeply disturbing. Have we lost sight of our Great Lord Randall?
/s

More seriously, this is amazing news! But it's also saddening if you think about it too much. Whatever happened to the vibrant thread of the past? Where we would Wait For It with awe rather than with nostalgia? Where we would invent new language and traditions? Where we would create beautiful art and music?
Such is the route of any online community: initial enthusiasm, followed by gradual exponential decay, staring at the inevitable death, lost in the depths of the Internet, forgotten by the cruel annals of time.
I've been active in other fandoms since Time. One is hinted at by my avatar; identification of the fandom in question is left as an exercise for the interested reader. That's facing a similar problem. Once in its heyday, with millions of people, three years ago, it's since died down a lot. It's sad. How many other communities were once popular, years past? Since completely forgotten?
Such is the root of the phrase carpe diem, however. The future will happen, the past has happened, and one can't alter either, but there's plenty to do in the meantime!

I won't be joining in this meetup. Social anxiety is a ch*rp. But I wish you all the best of luck in celebrating our obscure corner of the internet, our own gem, and may this little star keep shining! <3
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

HES

Patzer: one of todips lucky 10,000

Postby HES » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

To be fair, much of that flair was lost because the "external input" *nded. The fact that we are still here is what matters.

For decree, I have informed the bookface.
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

Ong?

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

I'M DEVELOPUNG A SYSTEM TO ONG ARBITRARY MEMES

The ONGtext generator:
http://moonbase.chirpingmustard.com/ongtext?b=on

Sustainabilizer, I'll try to reply tomorrow. And if not - on Tuesday.

At first I read "has substantially less personal conflicts (“flame wars”) than other online communities with comparable diversity,"
as "has sustainably" less personal conflicts ..."
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

pelrigg

Re: OTTer Meetup in Europe, Feb/Mar 2015

Postby pelrigg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Dear fellow OTTers,

congratulations: complete sustainabilization is here.
<snip>

In other words, I am inviting you
to an
OTTer Meetup!

Yes, this is for real.
<another snip>

Oh, WOWTREE!!

Now all I need is a passport. (Oh, yeah, and money.)

This sounds spectacular Sustainabilizer.

This has come up before in the OTT, but always as a gee-whiz if wishes were molpies type of thing.

If somehow I can make this, I'll be there.
I'm not offering my services as a speaker, since I'm among the worst public speakers ever. I have trouble speaking in front of a speech class. (I also have this unfortunate super-power: people seem to think it's their god-given duty to interrupt me and/or correct me no matter what I'm talking about.)

A couple of questions:

--How much German or other languages will we be expected to know?
--Or, will there be some sort of "UN-style" translator service available?
--Could you make a list of accommodations in the area? (especially some lower-end places for those "starving students".)
--Will it be available via webcast/Skype? (Or did you mention that and I missed it?)
--Maybe you could hire a certain heavy-metal pirate band to provide some entertainment???
ETA
--What's the weather like there during that time of year (usually)?

A suggestion:
Perhaps (if enough OTTers show) rather than a simple "Hello, My Name Is ..." type of badge, maybe have ones that have their OTT avatar in addition to a spot for their real name. (Since so many of us identify the folks around here with those.)

----

I suppose side-trips will depend on how each person's vacation would be, but it would be fun to take a Euro-rail trip to Marseille wouldn't it? (And maybe a couple of castles along the way.)

----

I had some other thoughts, but a good buddy of mine called and interrupted me (not to be confused with my super-power). This was a good break. {I told him about this and he asked if I would be going. Again with the "not enough money" thing.}

---

Well, let me post this {I was hoping to be the "first" to say "WOW!", but that's not important.}

---

ETA:

Sustainabilizer wrote:(Don't forget: We are all GLR: scientists and artists.)

I've always been with you there.
See my sig.

Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Oh, WOWTREE!!

:)
pelrigg wrote:I'm not offering my services as a speaker […]

Then I am not allowed to give you money, sorry. ;)
However:

pelrigg wrote:people seem to think it's their god-given duty to interrupt me and/or correct me no matter what I'm talking about.

We are not speaking of arbitrarily chosen people, but of OTTers.
If you have an idea about a scientific speech, let me know, then I can invite you.

pelrigg wrote:--How much German or other languages will we be expected to know?

None besides English which will be the official conference language.
Some OTTish is okay, though.
Spoiler:
And OTTish will be the official language of the social event. :)

pelrigg wrote:--Or, will there be some sort of "UN-style" translator service available?

Nope, sorry.

pelrigg wrote:--Could you make a list of accommodations in the area? (especially some lower-end places for those "starving students".)

If you tell us what you prefer, we can organise it for you. This explicitly includes lower-end places for those "starving students".

pelrigg wrote:--Will it be available via webcast/Skype? (Or did you mention that and I missed it?)

Not via Skype (for it's not sustainable), but we are planning something equivalent.

pelrigg wrote:--Maybe you could hire a certain heavy-metal pirate band to provide some entertainment???

I may invite speakers to a scientific conference and pay them.
If one of the speakers wants to make music at the social event, that's perfectly okay. ;)

pelrigg wrote:A suggestion:
Perhaps (if enough OTTers show) rather than a simple "Hello, My Name Is ..." type of badge, maybe have ones that have their OTT avatar in addition to a spot for their real name. (Since so many of us identify the folks around here with those.)

That's what we have planned anyway.

pelrigg wrote:I suppose side-trips will depend on how each person's vacation would be […]

Exactly.

pelrigg wrote:(And maybe a couple of castles along the way.)

We have some castles here, some of which are even quite close to the Sustainable University.

pelrigg wrote:Well, let me post this {I was hoping to be the "first" to say "WOW!", but that's not important.}

patzer posted the footnote, but you were the first to spell it out. ;)

Thanks, pelrigg and everyone, for your encouraging feedback. :)
Image Help addams!

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

I can't believe you managed to get funding for this.

It would be nice to do a Marseille tie-in.

25th March would be appropriate, but is also a Cuegandix and therefore awkward for extended leave.

pelrigg wrote:rather than a simple "Hello, My Name Is ..." type of badge, maybe have ones that have their OTT avatar in addition to a spot for their real name.
Isn't that what hats are for? Image
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:--Maybe you could hire a certain heavy-metal pirate band to provide some entertainment???

That would be one epsilon gig! We'd have to work on ottifying all our songs first.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

You mean to imply they are not already? Image
He/Him/His Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

That would be one epsilon gig! We'd have to work on ottifying all our songs first.

But, from what Sustainabilizer said, they'll be paying for the science speakers only.
Maybe those who are going (and even those who are not) could "past the hat" for any professional entertainment. (Maybe permission could be granted to use the webcast service he hinted at.)

--
Per Decree:
I PM'ed lmjb to let her know to come to this NP when she gets back. (Just told her "Important Announcement" didn't want to spurl anything.)

--
HES wrote:
pelrigg wrote:rather than a simple "Hello, My Name Is ..." type of badge, maybe have ones that have their OTT avatar in addition to a spot for their real name.
Isn't that what hats are for? Image

Since I don't have a hatted avatar, I guess I'd have to get a frilly orange shirt, a black vest with buckles, and a headband, since I don't look anything like my picture. Image

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Pelrigg, you should really meet Iron SeaWolpy's drummer who also does this tribute act ;)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

Whoops, too late. I was going to wait until Monday since safira would have verified some more accounts by then and I have a couple more registrations to process. Will rectify this as soon as I get home.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

HES wrote:The fact that we are still here is what matters.

Exactly.

Can you tell why we are still here?
And what can be done to further this sort of sustainability when creating a new online community?
If so, be welcome to hold a speech about that at the conference.

(For details about what kind of scientific contributions we are looking for, see the invitation.)

BTW, scientific posters are welcome, too.

HES wrote:For decree, I have informed the bookface.

Thanks!

HES wrote:I can't believe you managed to get funding for this.

I''m getting funding for investigating how to build a sustainable online community.
How I am doing those investigations is, to some extent, up to me.

HES wrote:It would be nice to do a Marseille tie-in.

Agreed. I cannot fund this, but it would be molpish.
Of course someone would have to organise that. (I cannot, sorry.)

HES wrote:25th March would be appropriate, but is also a Cuegandix and therefore awkward for extended leave.

25th March would be problematic, but possible.
From the POV of the university, the end of February would be most molpish.
Image Help addams!

ChronosDragon

MOLPYING ABOUT IS HARD, LET'S GO BLUENHANCING.

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

Wow! A real life OTT conference! That would be flutterbeewingish to see!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can convince my parents that a trip to Germany about a forum is worth several hundred dollars and a week of missed school. I mean, obviously it is, but not to non-OTTers. For those of us that can't make it, will you be recording the talks? I'd be fascinated to see what OTTers could come up with.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Pelrigg, you should really meet Iron SeaWolpy's drummer who also does this tribute act ;)

Thanks for linking to that. I like how it looks like they're interpreting the music and letting it flow, rather than trying to do a note-for-note copy. Too bad there's not more of that performance. I just tried to find other vids by him/them and there seems to be a general lacking (a bunch of others folks with the same first name, last name, even same name, (Sam Morley or The Sami Hendrix Experience) but none look like the same people.)
Still THANKS.

Migratory Chicken

Postby Migratory Chicken » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

Now on NP 955/2125, with Megan sleeping and Cueball sitting under the starry sky. I wasn't disappointed: within a few newpix of stars appearing, mscha was able to pinpoint (assuming the story takes place on Earth) the latitude to be around 35 degrees north, while Kieryn managed to positively identify the sky as being Earth's. However, he also believes he's determined the date where the story happens to be November 7th, 2013, which brought back from oblivion the theory of Randall expecting a baby (with this particular date being the expected delivery date). Now timewaiters are hoping to see the moon appear in the sky, which would help determine the longitude at which Cuegan are found; its absence will presumably force them to find another possible date. I'm quite anxious to see how these beliefs will evolve as the night progresses. Onward with my blitz!

Sustainabilizer

Re: MOLPYING ABOUT IS HARD, LET'S GO BLUENHANCING.

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think I can convince my parents that a trip to Germany about a forum is worth several hundred dollars

If you come as a speaker we can reimburse you to some extent.
For us, listening to what you have to say about the OTT is worth a few hundred dollars.
(See the invitation.)

and a week of missed school.

That would be more problematic.
The date isn't fixed yet; maybe we can find one which does not conflict with your school.
Image Help addams!

AluisioASG

…as narrowly as a Sustainabilizer might scrutinize the OTT.

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

Today I devised a route through the city that would end up with me taking the same bus of weeks ago. It worked.

But not in the way I expected.

She sat right behind me and told me not to dare turning around to look at her. We had a quick chat, the contents of which can be summarized by the last thing I said:
I wrote:So, I'll have to let go of one so I can see the other?

It's gonna be a tough season for the story.

Sustainabilizer wrote:I am a professor for <computery stuff> at the Sustainable University².

(PS. It seems you got your footnotes wrong.)
Which kind of <computery stuff>?

Sustainabilizer wrote:If you are interested, please let me know, and tell me which days in Feb/Mar 2015 would be molpish / less molpish / steambottlish for you.

While we don't have a resolution for next yip's calendar, I can guess wips two and four of Community¹ (man, such a coincidence) would be likely optimal for me.
¹ First and third weeks of February.

Sustainabilizer wrote:Money is always a problem.

Let's see, is DUS the nearest international airport? If the price they're listing includes the return trip, the whole thing would cost me around a PlayStation 4.

Sustainabilizer wrote:Can anyone please enlighten me about that “Penis!” tradition on round numbers?

If I had to guess, I'd blame azule.

pelrigg wrote:it would be fun to take a Euro-rail trip to Marseille wouldn't it?

Don't let me get in Gare du Nord. Nor let me take any train that stops by there.

k.bookbinder wrote:I'm still alive.

Duly noted.

@Sustainabilizer, have you found any other sustainable communities?

pelrigg wrote:Since I don't have a hatted avatar, I guess I'd have to get a frilly orange shirt, a black vest with buckles, and a headband, since I don't look anything like my picture.

Mine would require a combination of technologies only found in my upcoming story.

BTW, identities verified (save for one) and requests processed.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:12 am UTC

I have returned from the Renaissance Faire! Apparently the Renaissance was quite hot, and really really dusty. My carcastle time machine looked like an abandoned vehicle after just a wipend, there was so much dust on it. At work right now, so now ketchup yet, but just had to say WOW! OTTer meetup! I don't think there's any way I can go, but I will certainly do my best. Thank you, Sustainabilizer!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:19 am UTC

Migratory Chicken wrote:Now on NP 955/2125,
<snip>
Onward with my blitz!

And, into the middle of all this, a blitzer reports. Hi, MC. Hope you read the top of the page.

And, Hi lmjb. Are we on line at the same time?

ETA:
Guess I just missed. Oh, well...
Glad to hear you had a good time at your faire.

---
ETA2:
Wow, what a dip.
I need to molpy down.
Wait well, OTTers. We now have something New to Wait For.
Good thoughts that this meetup can work out.
Coma Out......

ergman

Re: MOLPYING ABOUT IS HARD, LET'S GO BLUENHANCING.

Postby ergman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 am UTC

Oh man! an OTTer meet up disguised (as well as legitimately doubling) as a sustainability conference, therefore acquiring funding! This is one of the most molpish things to come by the OTT since the *nd of Time!

Unfortunately, this:
ChronosDragon wrote:Wow! A real life OTT conference! That would be flutterbeewingish to see!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can convince my parents that a trip to Germany about a forum is worth several hundred dollars and a week of missed school. I mean, obviously it is, but not to non-OTTers. For those of us that can't make it, will you be recording the talks? I'd be fascinated to see what OTTers could come up with.

same diff for me, though I'll be glad to join in any online capacity, and am super excited to hear all this stuff on internet-sustainability. Will someone do a speech comparing us to Twitch Plays Pokemon? I feel like that's what I would do if I were going to do a speech for this.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ChronosDragon

POOL'S CLOSED DUE TO SPURLERS

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:51 am UTC

New OtherComic! 1397 vibes, anyone?

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:39 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:I am a professor for <computery stuff> at the Sustainable University².

(PS. It seems you got your footnotes wrong.)

Nope.
Spoiler:
The university is riverish.
AluisioASG wrote:Which kind of <computery stuff>?

„Hardwarenahe IT-Systeme” (“Low-level IT systems”):
embedded systems, microcontrollers, device drivers.

(In fact I'm a physicist and ¾ of a mathematician, and I'm doing virtually all kinds of <computery stuff>.)

AluisioASG wrote:While we don't have a resolution for next yip's calendar, I can guess wips two and four of Community¹ (man, such a coincidence) would be likely optimal for me.
¹ First and third weeks of February.

So far the third week of FebruaryH appears to be the most likely date.
(BTW, it seems you got your footnotesε wrong.)
Spoiler:
Community isn't a particulariily seaish mip, is it?
AluisioASG wrote:Let's see, is DUS the nearest international airport?

Yes (0.5 newpix away).
But FRA is in reach, too (2.5 newpix).

AluisioASG wrote:@Sustainabilizer, have you found any other sustainable communities?

Not to this extent.
If you know one, be welcome to hold a speech about it.

ergman wrote:Oh man! an OTTer meet up disguised (as well as legitimately doubling) as a sustainability conference, therefore acquiring funding! This is one of the most molpish things to come by the OTT since the *nd of Time!

Thank you!
(FTFY)

Seriously, I'm going to make science. That's what I get the funding for.
So please, everyone, take your OTT statistics / the <computery stuff> you made for the OTT / your analysis why everyone is so friendly here / your comparison of the OTT with other (sustainable?) online communities / your <whatever else>, show up at the conference, and do your speech.

ergman wrote:Unfortunately, this:
ChronosDragon wrote:Wow! A real life OTT conference! That would be flutterbeewingish to see!

same diff for me, though I'll be glad to join in any online capacity, and am super excited to hear all this stuff on internet-sustainability. Will someone do a speech comparing us to Twitch Plays Pokemon? I feel like that's what I would do if I were going to do a speech for this.

Be welcome to do that speech.

Also: Thanks¹, ergman, for informing the Blitzers about the meetup through your sig. :)
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Help addams!

Eternal Density

Re: POOL'S CLOSED DUE TO SPURLERS

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:New OtherComic! 1397 vibes, anyone?

I thought that was Fridip's.

Todip's is http://xkcd.com/1433/
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sustainabilizer

Examples

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 am UTC

patzer wrote:Such is the route of any online community: initial enthusiasm, followed by gradual exponential decay, staring at the inevitable death, lost in the depths of the Internet, forgotten by the cruel annals of time.

If that's your elaborate theory, feel free to hold a speech about it. ;)

In any case, my impression so far is that the OTT is more sustainable.
Yes, it lost some members after T** **d of Time, but it is still there.Y
For numbers, ask Sciscitor. (Hey, Sciscitor, what about a speech?)
For charts, ask Earthling on Mars. (Hey, EoM, what about a speech?)

Y: That's what the conference is about: Why is the OTT so sustainable?
What can we do to create more sustainability of this kind?

ETA:
Here are two flutterbeewingish examples for how the beauty and sustainability of the OTT can be analysed, both by yappobiscuits: How the OTTscars and the Sadness affected the sustainability of the OTT. (Hey, yappo, what about a speech?)
Image Help addams!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:03 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
ucim wrote:I think Time is like C.
Spoiler:
More lines have been written about C than have been written in C.

For no language, perhaps, is that maxim truer than for Haskell.

I don't know. Brainfuck might be a competitor to that title. Or did you want to limit to languages with a use case?

OTTer meetup is extremely reachable for me. Only 74 kq. That's doable on bike in a day! Hmm, a hotel isn't overly expensive for a couple of nights.
<size=seaish>yaay</size>

I will make time for it.

Why is the OTT so sustainable? IMHO it is because the way Time was set up. Time was enticing enough to warrant wanting to follow it. The way it was set up required returning regularly in order to be able to discuss the newpix.
In between newpix discussions started. First to fill the void of the wait, later because those discussions became interesting. From those discussions a community arose. From that community a culture arose. It still exists more than a year after the end because people feel at home here.

Would it be an idea to post this in Meetups? Maybe there are non-OTTers or basementees there that want to come.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0388

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:00 am UTC

NOOOO THEY BE CH*RPONG MY REVEALER THE RECENT -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:15 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Use your time-travelling abilities to inform the Blitzers.
Try to reach the basementees.

I'm not sure whether I still count for a Blitzer or a basementee, but eiter way, consider me notified. Thanks, HES, for the notification and of course Prof. Dr. Sustainabilizer for the invite! Let's see if I can make it there!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:57 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
I herewith invite the members of the OTT
– including Blitzers, Lurkers, and Basementees –
to a scientific conference
about sustainable online communities
– including a social event –
in Bochum, Germany,
February or March 2015.

I can't promise anything yet, but I'll try to attend.
Update:
So far the most probable date is between 19 and 24 Feb 2015.

Suits me; now to convince my wife of the interest of undertaking a ~1050 km trip to Germany ^^
Also: 101010 posts!
NSFW:
Spoiler:
Can anyone please enlighten me about that “Penis!” tradition on round numbers?
I have encountered it here, but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere else.

As far as I remember, that started with Helper and as such is pretty OTT-unique. Investigations are a hand (or was it a foot ?)
Edit for investigation :
The first gratuitous use of the word is indeed by Helper here, but it seems that the first use in conjunction to an RNM is a few pages later by someone still very much present nowaxips : Azule ? anything to add ? ^^
Last edited by karhell on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2901

Postby mscha » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:00 am UTC

MORONGA...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:OTCOLORED TRANSLATEOUNGS ARE SUPERIOR

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

bftf-0389

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:09 am UTC

THIS MAY BE A BIT REDUNDANT, BUT... IF SOMEONE'S BLUEHANCEMENT SUDDENLY BLUENHANCED, HOW LONG WOULD THEY ENHANCE? -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by bothasar_p

HES

Postby HES » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:07 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:(BTW, it seems you got your footnotesε wrong.)
Spoiler:
Community isn't a particulariily seaish mip, is it?

It may not be big, but it does what it wants.

In other news:
Primary confirmation. Status: Denial

Secondary confirmation. Status:
Spoiler:
HOLY CH*RPING MOLPY I GOT A JOB!!!!
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm UTC

Holy ch*rping congratulations, HES !
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

Congratulations, HES. Now update your resume. (And maybe your location.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

Congratulations HES!

As to the Sustainability conference, alas the distance is a bit too seasih for me to attend in person. It would be molpish to have an online portion of the seminar, though I suppose that might dilute the in-person part. I do have several ideas as to why this community has evolved the way it has; alas it's not really science but more like observation and hypothesizing. While it might be fun to dissect the thread, most organisms don't survive dissection. I'd say the best way to do science is to find other molpishly sustainable threads to compare with. I know of one other (via friends), however it deals with rather intensely personal things and may be reluctant to put itself under the microscope... although the fact that it publicly and openly deals with these things may indicate otherwise. I'll enquire. Because enquiring minds want to know.

I'd like to think that we did this ourselves, organically. However, this may well not be the case - there have been post deletions from the mods, and in at least one case there was a particularly HODOR newbie post I remember seeing, and then not seeing. It's possible the poster realized how steambottle he (or she) was and deleted it, but it's also possible the mods deep-sixed it with prejudice, on our behalf. So, I think it owes something to the mods too.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Thanks y'all!

ucim wrote:it's not really science but more like observation and hypothesizing

That's science, is it not?
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

<size=seaish>Congrats Hes</size>

@ Jose: I plan to go to it. For me an online presence would add to the treeishness of the seminair/meet. Especially if I have a facebug presence by then to post stuff on.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Just realised I never explicitly said this - I will be attending if at all possible. It just depends if *gets on stepladder* [megaphone]I CAN GET OFF WORK[/megaphone].
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

HES wrote:
ucim wrote:it's not really science but more like observation and hypothesizing

That's science, is it not?
Not without testing of some sort. Otherwise it's philosophy.

Granted it's hard to test in astronomy or archaeology, but in any case it's the analysis of the observations that makes it science.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

yappobiscuits

Re: Examples

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:59 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Here are two flutterbeewingish examples for how the beauty and sustainability of the OTT can be analysed, both by yappobiscuits: How the OTTscars and the Sadness affected the sustainability of the OTT. (Hey, yappo, what about a speech?)

I get really embarrassed being reminded of past rants as I'd rather put them behind me, but I'm glad you thought they were flutterbeewingish (not what I'd have thought).
HES wrote:Secondary confirmation. Status:
Spoiler:
HOLY CH*RPING MOLPY I GOT A JOB!!!!

Go hamply!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”