Therian Saga

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Therian Saga

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:18 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Oh, I also picked up Transportation, so.. there's that. No idea how it works. All I know is that my hero skill in it, with 1 point of Transportation, is 23.4

Because Archeology.
...I'm confused to all hell how your overall skill in transport is 23.4 though. That's higher than mine with my 27 transport chimera companion active.
Hero skill. (46 searching, 1 transportation = 23.5 Hero Skill) And I mistyped 4 instead of 5.

My overall is, like, 9.4.

It's also entirely possible I'm terribly misusing the terms here, as from what I understand the Hero Skill is the median of your Category Skill (In this case, Searching) and your Named Skill (in this case, Transportation)

At any rate, my questioning was for things I can set myself to do while I'm, for example, at work. So when I actually have time to sit for an hour and click on stuff, things like Forest Skill of 35 and Sleeping Off Mutilation are already taken care of.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hero skill. (46 searching, 1 transportation = 23.5 Hero Skill) And I mistyped 4 instead of 5.

Ah no that was it, the mistype is actually what confused me since Hero skill can only end in .5, so I assumed the .4 meant you somehow got your overall skill to that.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:02 pm UTC

Deposited three Spirit Bracelets at the Shipyard for woodcutters.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:25 pm UTC

What's the "advanced" bracelet for stone work? What's included in that one and are 4 carat gems like that possible?

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

Deep Stone. Comes with Metal too. Can cut that.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

Ah yeah I need to maximize the stone part (extracting and cutting over masonry as well), dont care about the metal part. Let me know what the materials for the jewelry parts are and I'll send ya some this evening.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:53 pm UTC

When you're looking to order jewelry, check out this thread.

http://www.theriansaga.com/forums/defau ... sts&t=6561

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

So everything is going pretty well for the krya mine. I have my workers working on chanderian and lanferite for the renaissance quarry while I expand the Den concession. I think we'll be at around 300-400 space tonight. Needs 1000 for the mine.

Along those lines, who can actually mine kryanite clusters here? My metal alt doesn't have Den access yet so they can't. We may also need to create a domain in the giant plains to drop kryanite clusters off so we can have alts move them from giant plains to the metallurgical factory, at least until we build a giant plains/den metallurgical factory. Looking at the map we'll also need another domain in loudthunder so we can transport the lanferite boulder all the way to HQ for the stone delegation. I'll send out a mail asking for money for those new domains (they're ~170g each) this evening.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

I imagine I can, though I'll have to check. Prospection hasn't moved since I capped it on domane, but the requirement is only 45.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

Do the tunnels help with transportation, or are they some un-implemented thing we can do for giggles?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

I thought they had to do with spying?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

Some of the infrastructure like roads and watchtowers I believe add to transport. They act as location bonuses presumably when you leave the location (since that's where you accept the transport task). Not sure if tunnels add to transport as well. The annoying part is that if you're moving things between more than 1 location its going to require the infrastructure at each point. Now, making some transport infrastructure at the Shipyard is probably a good idea since we only need 1 action to move things from the Shipyard to HQ and we'll need to eventually move 20 beams theres. Same for the Factories/Boulders place since we'll need to move 20 megalithic foundations (once we build the Megalithic construction site). That said, we're a ways away from that so we're probably ok not to bother with them yet. Also probably good to see what the encumberance on things is too. If building infrastructure doesn't increase transport enough to let us carry an extra item, its just pointless.

As for the mining Kryanite the requirement that I was more concerned about is Den access. Im sure people have alts that could get high enough prospecting, but without the Den quest done, you can't GET to the krya mine.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

I'll leave my chanderian planks off sometime, have 115 of them.

In other news, I learned spying, but have no idea what to do with it now. I can do the 10 skill commercial agreements thing in hawkoria, if I get some amethysts cut, but I think I'd rather sublet the thinking for this to someone else. Is there some sort of guide for leveling spying, and what to do/where to go to get the needed guild stuff done with it?

In the mean time I'm trying to figure out what to do to get more den locations uncovered, since all I've done is go to the gates and get the quest for the statue pieces and Meeting the Archduke quest.

Val, or TREE, where in progression would you say norstria is? Is it something we don't even need to worry about till we have ice lab on farm and den companions, or are there things to do at say, elisime farming level? For reference, I have bronze/steel harnois (51/49/46) armor and cerry/yraen/squire/sister/behiran, with 53 bow/35hammer for weapons. Combat skills are low 40's. Is this enough for early norstria?

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

Maybe I should get serious about learning metal (I will need that golden wing some day) because I don't think I will train an alt into unlocking the den.

I do some expanding at the Den every once in a while (four tasks are queued tonight) and am working on guild agreements.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:In other news, I learned spying, but have no idea what to do with it now. I can do the 10 skill commercial agreements thing in hawkoria, if I get some amethysts cut, but I think I'd rather sublet the thinking for this to someone else. Is there some sort of guide for leveling spying, and what to do/where to go to get the needed guild stuff done with it?

Ignore spying quests. Buy a Spying Case. Should be sufficient, thanks to Sociability. Go to Maliken Harbor (or Hawkoria, if necessary). Gather favors there. Listed guild agreements at the Headquarters below. Progresses 20% per action.

Clandestine Agreement (Guild): Clandestine Agreement (4) + Criminal Favor (2)
Military Agreement (Guild): Tribal Agreement (6) + Military Favor (2)
Academic Agreement (Guild): Agreement (6) + Tribal Agreement (4) + Hybrid Agreement (2) + Craft Favor (1) + Academic Favor (2)
Construction Agreement (Guild): Agreement (6) + Tribal Agreement (4) + Craft Favor (2) + Political Favor (1)
Commercial Agreement (Guild): Agreement (4) + Naval Agreement (3) + Craft Favor (1) + Commercial Favor (1)

Spying Questline: Leads to the Aristocratic Suburbs. (Note: Purchases the Spying Case recipe from a vendor here.) Hand over a diamond and favors for Hippogriff Gemstones once per day. Play games of chance for "Winner of the Game" (two gemstones for 20%, four for 25%, and more for 25% still). Earns the Forgery Workshop Key with twenty-five victories and more favors. Unlocks Vaults (a spying store, essentially) and Seals.

Costs a lot of favors and time.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:Val, or TREE, where in progression would you say norstria is? Is it something we don't even need to worry about till we have ice lab on farm and den companions, or are there things to do at say, elisime farming level? For reference, I have bronze/steel harnois (51/49/46) armor and cerry/yraen/squire/sister/behiran, with 53 bow/35hammer for weapons. Combat skills are low 40's. Is this enough for early norstria?

Ball-crushingly post-Den difficulty.

e: My main character could come mine some kryanite for you guys if I get compensated (i.e. either by gold or being allowed to keep some product). Don't know how much you need for the metal delegation.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

The kraynite will be solely for krya nuggets. We have the metallurgical factory already (traded recipes way back for it). The mine isn't even up yet anyways :P

I wouldn't say that the start of Norstria is fully past Den difficulty. The combats in the two snow zones would be decently easy in the armor Biliboy mentioned. They apparently went around and lowered a bunch of difficulties (land and quest) in the tuning patch they ran yesterday on the PTR. I have most of the quests finished unfortunately so I couldn't see what they reduced them to. Land difficulties were extremely high in some cases (60 or 65). If those are reduced to around mid 50s is should be significantly more doable (though still tough). Combat in the east forest in Norstria and the hills area is on average 50 stats it looks like, so pretty comparable to the loupridons in Ice lab.

Oh btw, apparently the Norstrian mountain goats (same ones you can tame in Renaissance) have 40 snow skill on the PTR. Didn't notice that. Hopefully its retroactive.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 am UTC

So I finally did achieve my goal of breaking the auto-resolve system. It turns out there IS an absolute limit to the number of turns it can try to process.

http://i.imgur.com/Ea8b9oE.png

No idea what that limit is though.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm UTC

Put up the Masonry factory in the Factories/Boulders domain yesterday. Thanks to Deva for providing pretty much all the expansion and parts for that factory.

The Den domain should be almost fully expanded tonight. I will run some last numbers and assure that the absurdly expensive goods lift is appropriate for the domain and then put it together. I believe the towers and vaults will also be done fairly soon.

I assume some of the projects will take a hit once Norstria hits. Which is fair. New content is always nice. Do be warned the areas are pretty dangerous, the quests have high difficulties (though apparently reduced after the last twerk) and the cost to get there is 75g the first time (I think) and 20g each subsequent time. 20 sea to get there and 20 sea/28 urban to get back. Make sure you can make that urban check because I didn't find an alternate route back to the Hawkoria/Lanfar yet.

Oh and as of yesterday night, there was still nothing in Behemoth Gorge in the Den. The key you get from the Duke's quest still does nothing.

Fitzfool

Postby Fitzfool » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:36 pm UTC

Howdy, just thought I'd say hi here, I'm new to the xkcd guild, name is Fitz, I do stone work and can do commerce and spying as well. I currently have ice lab on farm and am working on skilling up my boar to get watchmaker on lock and finally take down the wyvern.

Chen, I have about 300 blocks of lanferite I can get together, working on cutting some of them once I get the marapis towers and vaults done, I'll get those deposited in about 4 hours, at work now so can't log in.

Also if anyone is making heal pots send me a message in the game, I am always running low it feels like.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

Probably a stupid question, but can krya be mined in any of the Nostria locations? Perhaps, at a better rate?

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

No idea. I wasn't the leader of the guild there so I couldn't place domains to test it. Considering the absurd terrain difficulties I can't see how it would be feasbile to make the vertical mine there anyways. The one for the Den is already using absurd materials. Trying to build a vertical mine in 50 mountain difficulty is likely impossible without CRAZY resources (I'm talking thousands of CHARACTERS worth of volcanite just to start). Plus even then I'm not sure you could make the goods lift strong enough.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

Yeesh. Whelp. I'm a little curious as to why we don't see more krya goods around. Is most of it sold on commission instead of hitting the market?

I figure if we're dealing/making odi/dom harnois pieces, other guilds further along must be making... I dunno, more.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yeesh. Whelp. I'm a little curious as to why we don't see more krya goods around. Is most of it sold on commission instead of hitting the market?

I figure if we're dealing/making odi/dom harnois pieces, other guilds further along must be making... I dunno, more.

Because the :effort: of mining krya pulls people off after a while. Once you recoup your costs and have everything you need... what more could you want? Some krya stuff is still sold on commission after that, sure, but not much.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

What more could you want? I mean, the point of building these things is to make money off it. Recouping your costs is part of the initial process. You want to profit from it.

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE

Postby JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

Valerian, would you please poke me in-game as soon as possible?

I got into the 65 swamp area, and there is stuff here.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

All but my smith have access to Lanfar. My main is working on an inn in loud thunder, but damn it requires 90 expansions to build. Tonight I'll start training up engineering so every alt can have a good compass. Because I want to replace all guides with rat scouts, among other things.

So my smith and fashioner are cross training to smith/fashion, but I will have them make some glass for other projects. Maybe make decent leather armor for all my alts in Lanfar. Woodcutter mass making maple frames. Working on getting hunter up a bit. Stonemason also needs higher skills to mine marapis. Herbalists will just make 20/5 pots for now, but will work on getting the better pots. Am I missing anything?

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yeesh. Whelp. I'm a little curious as to why we don't see more krya goods around. Is most of it sold on commission instead of hitting the market?

Krya takes a LONG time to mine and I believe you only get a handful of nuggets per cluster. The reason the armor is not sold is probably because you can't yet make a full set of exceptional krya armor and I don't think its possible to work with the kryamane ingots for any of the pieces in harnois. I bought a kryanod ingot for around 300g (IIRC) for my woodworking plane. Once the mine is up we can see how long it'll take to make one ingot but I suspect its quite long. Just moving the cluster from the Den to our metallurgical factory is likely going to take over 24 hours of transporting (possibly a lot more).

JUST_A_HARMLESS_TREE wrote:Valerian, would you please poke me in-game as soon as possible?

I got into the 65 swamp area, and there is stuff here.

Uh I'm at work during the day and won't be home until around 8 pm EST tonight. Can you just walk in there though? And what you found some locations?

CorruptUser wrote:All but my smith have access to Lanfar. My main is working on an inn in loud thunder, but damn it requires 90 expansions to build. Tonight I'll start training up engineering so every alt can have a good compass. Because I want to replace all guides with rat scouts, among other things.

So my smith and fashioner are cross training to smith/fashion, but I will have them make some glass for other projects. Maybe make decent leather armor for all my alts in Lanfar. Woodcutter mass making maple frames. Working on getting hunter up a bit. Stonemason also needs higher skills to mine marapis. Herbalists will just make 20/5 pots for now, but will work on getting the better pots. Am I missing anything?

If you want to wander around Lanfar you probably want to get inns up for everyone so they can get the decent combat companions and not die to behirans and vargrs while walking around. Also Scout torten has a lot of land stats, but is mediocre at most of them. Off the top of my head for land stats you'll want:
Bear: Hills, with secondary mountain and forest
Lyxn: Mountain
Varanus: Cave and Swamp
Falcon: Plains (I think)
Sister at arms: Urban
Cerrydwen will cover forest and much later Gaspard covers forest and cave.
A mountain goat apparently provides Snow on the PTR as well as 50 mountain, but you need 30 mountain to tame it first.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

There any point to building a Shelter in Lanfar, or just Inns?

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:32 pm UTC

Is it worth getting and building on a concession in hawknoria, and if i do, will i have to get more than one?
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

You need a concession in Hawkoria, so you can store your companions. Only need one though.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:46 pm UTC

The Hawkoria concessions should be cheaper this evening too. They mentioned something about the first concession price going down.

Shelters don't have access to T3 companions. Considering how cheap Inns can be in lanfar (like in loudthunder) I don't think a shelter there is a good idea. Building a shelter in hawkoria can work for alts if you never plan on going to lanfar and need T2 companions. Personally I would just bite the bullet and build the inn in lanfar even for my alts though.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:There any point to building a Shelter in Lanfar, or just Inns?

Just inns. Might prefer a shelter for passive gathering. Features better prestige than huts for cheaper than inns. Expects adequate comfort and prestige from huts, though.

Drumheller769 wrote:Is it worth getting and building on a concession in hawknoria, and if i do, will i have to get more than one?

Recommends one Hawkoria concession for everyone. Never acquired more on any character (yet). Sees reason for more soon. Want to hunt boars passively? Get a new concession.

Building options:
- Workshops: Always Hawkoria. Constructs them with vendor parts, unlike (most) Lanfar versions. Place it in a low land area, such as near Hawkoria (the city).
- Huts: For passive gathering. Should suffice.
- Shelter/Cottage/Inn: Built a Cottage alongside workshops. Saves a task. Do not build one otherwise.

jjl2357

Postby jjl2357 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

A shelter in loudthunder is pretty useful to get T2s and combat companions easily and cheaply (especially if your trade requires one of the more expensive inn locations). I believe even if you take it down eventually you only lose like a couple cedar frames and NPC stuff.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

Looks like it's going to be down for longer than initially planned. Oh well, Steam has a bunch of free samples this weekend...

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 am UTC

Servers are up!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:50 am UTC

That's pretty much why I'm asking.

I have no T2 companions. Not sure if I should bother. But I figure that getting a Lanfar Shelter up, even if it offers zero benefits over a Hawkoria Shelter - is a good enough stopgap between having nothing that attracts followers and having an Inn.

Because holy crap do Inns take up a lot of places.

Fitzfool

Postby Fitzfool » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:30 am UTC

Stuck at work, how's nostria looking?

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:34 am UTC

Bring at least 40 Urban, preferably higher (45?). Costs a fortune for vendor recipes (80-140 gold per recipe). Requires enough reputation too.

Fitzfool

Postby Fitzfool » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 am UTC

Any new stone cutting recipes worth looking into? I'll probably need to look into new clothing then for the rep, I'm still rocking huberian stuff.

Return to “Gaming”