Smalltown PYP - GAME OVER - PERFECT SCUM VICTORY!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Misnomer

Smalltown PYP - GAME OVER - PERFECT SCUM VICTORY!

Postby Misnomer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

Sure, there's plenty of variations, but everyone's heard of the story. Using all their cunning, the Mafia slowly infiltrate a town. Nobody notices their new neighbours, and indeed so busy is the pace of modern life that few people remember they were even new to the town at all. And then, under the cloak of darkness the hidden gang slaughters the poor defenceless townsfolk one by one. Not knowing who the enemy is, the town ends up lynching their own, while all along their enemies are hidden in plain sight...

A chilling story indeed. But that could never happen in Smalltown, where everybody knows everyone else.

...right?

Smalltown PYP

Quick Links
Day 1 - Small Town, Big Trouble
Day 2 - Death of an Undead
Day 3 - ka-BOOM splat!

Signup Info
Spoiler:
Welcome to Smalltown mafia! At the start of the game, every player's role is made public, although naturally alignments are kept hidden. See here for a previous example of a smalltown game. Unless otherwise stated the Mafia will have standard powers - if any sk or third party alignments are included in the game, then their abilities/powers & win conditions will be clearly stated at game start.

This Smalltown is also a PYP - when you sign up, pick a letter from A-Z which nobody else has picked yet. Then come up with a name (for flavour purposes only) and a rolename beginning with the letter you chose. For example: Andy the Architect or Cynthia the Chainsaw Saleswoman. I will then devise a role to fit the name (for example, in this case Andy the Architect might act as a jailer, redesigning other players houses without any entry/exit points, while Cynthia the Chainsaw Saleswoman might hand out 1-shot unblockable abilities to other players). I will accept standard rolenames such as Doctor/Cop etc. but I won't guarantee to give you the roles normally associated with them.

The game will be nightless with fairly standard day lengths, getting shorter as the number of players reduces. The upper limit on signups is theoretically 26(!) but as long as a I get a fair amount of interest I'll run with what I get.

As the trend in the new year seems to be to move away from the signups thread, sign up directly in this thread by posting your name and rolename!

Rules
Read 'em carefully, they're good for you. :wink:

Standard Rules:

1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
2. DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD.
3. Please stay on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL ME. Really bad lurkers risk MODKILL
5. If you aren't part of the game, please post in a separate, forbidden to players, thread for outside analysis.
6. Once I say that the day has ended, do not post in the thread
7. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
8. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM or any other messages sent to you by the mods. Paraphrasing is fine.
9. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.

Specific Game Rules:
1. I may set a deadline for the day, indicating when I am likely to call night. Until I actually call night, however, you are free to keep posting.
2. If at any point a player receives a majority of votes (as stated in the mod votals), then the day ends, even if I haven't posted yet. You must not post after a majority is reached.
3. All votes should be made by posting on a new line, IN BOLD. For example,
VOTE: Misnomer
4. You must post an Unvote before you can make a new vote. For example,
UNVOTE
VOTE: Remonsim

5. If you have questions, either post them IN BOLD in this thread, or PM me.
6. You may only communicate with other players by PM if I have specifically said you can do so. You must CC me in all PMs.
7. This game is nightless - see details below.
8. Players cannot target themselves.
9. At the start of each day phase I will reveal the alignments & related details of all players killed since the start of the previous day phase.
10. A tied vote at day end will result in No Lynch.
11. Due to the possibility of Vampire resurrection, dead players must NOT read spoilers until their alignment has been revealed.

Nightless Setup
This game is nightless - if a player or faction has any night actions, these must be submitted before the end of the day phase. All night actions are then processed as quickly as possible, and the next day begins straight away. If a player fails to send in an action, they will not carry out any action that night (unless that day was exceptionally short - i.e. a majority lynch was reached within 24 hours, in which case a brief period of grace might be allowed in which actions can be sent in). Players are therefore encouraged to send in provisional actions early on during the day phase - I have no problem with players changing their minds before the day ends, as long as they don't drown me in PMs.

I will allow players to send in back-up actions should events such as the lynch make their original action impossible. For example, the Mafia might send in the action:
Kill: X
Back-up Kill: Y

If X is lynched or otherwise killed at the end of the day, I will treat the Mafia as having decided to kill Y that night instead. Note I will only allow players to submit one action and one back-up action at a time - if both actions are rendered impossible, then no action takes place.

Roles:
Spoiler:
...and signups are closed! Let's meet the residents of Smalltown!

Cleo the Conspiracy Theorist (candyfloss)
Screw detailed investigations - everyone knows that the Man can only be beaten by looking at the bigger picture! Cleo doesn't target players in order to carry out her investigations - instead, she stays up all night researching on the internet. Before the end of each day, Cleo must send the mod a list of player names exactly as long as half the number of current living players, rounded up (in other words, the number needed to majority lynch). The mod will then provide Cleo with the number of players on that list that are not town. Note that investigation roles may be affected by Wendy's ability.

Dan the Demolitions Expert (Freezeblade)
Any idiot can blow up a building. To do the job well however takes plenty of time and careful planning... and that's where Dan comes in. Each night, Dan can target a player with the action 'Demolish: X', rigging that player's house with explosives. That player will then be killed in a powerful explosion at the beginning of the day after next - i.e. if the action took place in N1, the death would take place at the start of D3. The night before the explosion, Dan may target the same player with the action 'Cancel Demolition: X', which prevents the kill taking place. Dan cannot both cancel an explosion and prepare a new demolition on the same night. Should Dan die any outstanding explosions will still take place.

Jerry the Jeweller (Dark Loink)
Gold, diamonds, rubies... surely, the real treasure in life is actual treasure! Jerry is very protective of his jewels - so much so, that he's had a lethal security system installed to deter would-be thieves. Ahead of each night, Jerry can decide whether to turn the security system on or off. If another player targets Jerry and the system is turned on, then that player will be killed by the system before they can carry out their action. If two or more players target Jerry in the same night then only one of them is killed (selected randomly). Despite his wealth, Jerry is a miser and doesn't like a high power bill - the system therefore cannot be left on for two nights running.

Leonard the Librarian (Djehutynakht)
Why is it that people always think researching is difficult, when it's so easy? After all, Smalltown library has a whole wing full of books about who in the town might actually be criminals. Of course, Leonard doesn't have time to read any of the books himself - but he can point others in the right direction! Each night, Leonard may target another player (X) with the action 'Assist X in researching Y'. X will then be informed of Y's alignment. Note that investigation roles may be affected by Wendy's ability.

Magnus the Magician (CBusAlex)
There are two types of magician in this world. There are those who are entertainers, who perform magic tricks and amazing stunts for a living. And there’s Magnus, who CAN do magic and is actually kind of scary. Each night, Magnus may target another player with either the action ‘Magic Missile: X’ or the action ‘Illusory Missile: X’. With both actions, at the start of the next day a message will appear along the lines of ‘A magic missile is following X!’ At the end of the day, after the lynch, the target will be killed if magic missile was cast. If illusory missile was cast, the missile will simply vanish. If Magnus is lynched himself, then both kinds of missile will instantly vanish, resulting in no kill.

Nancy the Night Guard (ahippo)
Smalltown may be a quiet place, but there’s still a role for guards like Nancy. Each night, Nancy may choose a player to protect with the action ‘Guard: X’. If that player is targeted by another player, then Nancy will block the action against the target. Staying up all night isn’t good for the reactions however - as such, if multiple player target Nancy’s target, Nancy will only be able to block one action (selected at random).

Otto the Optometrist (moody7277)
Otto has had an interesting life. He may be an eye doctor now, but before he retrained he had been a battlefield medic. Each night, Otto may visit another player using the action ‘Doctor: X’. If X has been targeted by the Mafia kill that night, then Otto will save that player’s life. Note that Otto cannot save the life of a player killed in any other way. Unless roleblocked, Otto will leave their target with a bottle of eyedrops, which grants the target a 1-shot watcher ability which can be used on any subsequent night instead of their usual action.

Petra the Palaeontologist (Bessie)
Petra is good looking at dead things. She’s also very good at working out how they died. The thing is though, she’s used to studying things that have been dead for thousands of years… she might be able to speed things up a little, but she couldn’t study something that had only just died. Each night, Petra may send the mod the name of a player whose death was announced at least two days previously – for example, if X was found dead at the start of D2, Petra could use N4 to investigate their death. If Petra is successful in her investigation, she will find out the name of the player who killed the dead player.

Ray the Rapper (Cemper)
Ray just lives for rapping – so much so that when he freestyles he loses himself entirely in the music and raps about things in his life he was never really aware of himself. Each night, Ray may target a player to rap at, and select the name of another player to rap about: for example, ‘Rap about Y to: X’. The player Ray raps to (X) will receive a rather bizarre rap informing them about everyone the other player (Y) has targeted since the start of the game, including the night in question. Ray himself will have no memory of what he says.

Siegfried the Seismologist (SDK)
Smalltown is kind of boring for Siegfried – he spent a small fortune on his seismographs, but given that the nearest faultline is the other side of the country there are never any earthquakes for him to measure. With the Mafia loose however he’s decided to put them to a different purpose… Each night, Siegfried may target a player using the action ‘Plant Seismograph: X’. Siegfried will then secretly plant a seismograph in that player’s house. On all subsequent nights, Siegfried will be informed how many players targeted each player with a seismograph on each night.

Takka the Tinkerer (Maident)
Cars, gadgets, hospital equipment… Takka has always enjoyed tinkering with things that are best left alone – and that includes this game’s voting mechanics! Each night, Takka may target another player and decide to increase or decrease their voting strength by 0.2 votes. Any changes are made public at the start of the next day, and remain in effect unless Takka subsequently uses their ability to reverse the change. The number of votes needed to majority lynch will be adjusted to reflect the total net vote changes in play. If Takka dies, all vote changes become permanent!

Ulric the Undertaker (Lawrencelot)
It’s not pleasant work, but someone has to do it. Each night, Ulric appears as automatically targeting every player who died that night (note: Ulric will never trigger Jerry’s ability through this automatic action). For as long as Ulric is in the game, all day start flavour will make it clear who was killed by the Mafia, who was killed by the Serial Killer, who was killed by vampire infighting, and who was killed by Jerry. If Ulric should die, all death flavour apart from Dan's explosions and Magnus' magic missiles will become generic.

Vytron the Vampire (Vytron)
Aha-ha-ha-ha-ha! All good sleepy little towns have a vampire infestation, and Smalltown is no exception. Each night, Vytron may target another player with the action ‘Bite: X’. If any bitten players subsequently die, they will immediately rise from the grave at the start of the next day start. Any resurrected players will now be Vampires themselves, as described in this role. Vytron cannot be resurrected himself (as he is already a Vampire to start with). Vampires retain their original alignment and can be killed just like any other player. Additionally if a Vampire is bitten by another Vampire they die.

Wendy the White-Hat Hacker (madge)
For many people, the laughably poor state of internet security is no big deal – who cares if some dumb celebrity got their twitter hacked? For Wendy however, it’s deadly serious. Determined to educate people the only way she’s knows how, Wendy can target a player each day to hack during the night. Using her highly-advanced skills, Wendy will find out that player’s alignment. Then, she will patch her target’s security software, making it so that her target will appear as Town to any future investigative actions.

Xavier the Xylophonist (mpolo)
Xavier likes the simple things in life: vegetable soups, cloudy grey days, lukewarm baths… But what he really likes is the Xylophone. When he plays it, it is as if nothing else in the world matters… Each night, Xavier may choose whether or not to play the Xylophone. If he decides to play it, then any targeted actions against him other than the Mafia and SK kills will fail.

Zoe the Zebra Striper (kalira)
Zoe likes Zebras. In fact she likes them so much, she paints stripes on other people so that they look like Zebras, much to the confusion of the local nature media. Each night, Zoe may target a player to paint stripes on. At the start of each day, the mod text will contain a bulletin from a local wildlife report, describing the previous night’s Zebra sightings – for example, ‘Last night saw Zebras targeting the homes of X and Y. Experts are baffled by this unusual migratory pattern.’ If a striped player dies, their Zebra status is revealed along with their alignment. The wildlife reports continue even if Zoe dies.

Alignments:
Spoiler:
Setup:
This game has 16 players, broken down as follows:
10 town players (including 2 town masons)
4 mafia players
1 serial killer
1 hesitant jester

Role PMs:
You are Town! You win when the Mafia and the Serial Killer have all been permanently killed. Good luck!

You are Town! You win when the Mafia and the Serial Killer have all been permanently killed. Additionally, you and the other recipient of this message are secretly masons. You know each other to be town, and may communicate with each other via PM. Please CC me into all messages. Good luck!

You are Mafia, along with the other three recipients of this message. In addition to your public abilities you may communicate with each other via PM, and one of you may carry out the Mafia kill. The player carrying out the kill will be unable to use their public ability that night. Control of the kill decision will be randomly distributed to one of you at the start of each day, although you are encouraged to come to an agreement on the decision collectively. Please CC me into all messages. You win when the Serial Killer is permanently dead and Smalltown is under your control, or when there is no way to prevent this from happening. Good luck!

You are the Serial Killer. Each day, message me the name of another player who you wish to kill that night. As a super-scary serial killer, you have certain abilities - you will always appear as Town in all investigations, and you are immune to the Mafia kill. You win if all 15 other players are permanently dead at the end of the game. Good luck!

You are the Hesitant Jester. You win if you are lynched on any day apart from Day 1. You lose if you are lynched on Day 1, or are permanently killed by any means other than the lynch. If you are successfully lynched from Day 2 onwards, but nonetheless come back as a Vampire, you will get a second, bonus win if you then survive until the end of the game.

Players (living):
Freezeblade - Dan the Demolitions Expert
Madge - Wendy the White-Hat Hacker
Lawrencelot - Ulric the Undertaker
MaidentNew User - Takka the Tinkerer
Djehutynakht - Leonard the Librarian
Cemper93 - Ray the Rapper
mpolo - Xavier the Xylophonist
Dark Loink Gopher of Pern - Jerry the Jeweller
bessie - Petra the Palaeontologist
SDK - Siegfried the Seismologist
kalira - Zoe the Zebra Striper

Players (dead):
moody7277 - Otto the Optometrist
Vytron - Vytron the Vampire
candyfloss zombie!Vytron - Cleo the Conspiracy Theorist
CBusAlex - Magnus the Magician
ahippo - Nancy the Night Guard

Replacements:
Gopher of Pern
New User
zombie!Vytron
Last edited by Misnomer on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:21 pm UTC, edited 21 times in total.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

freezeblade

Re: Smalltown PYP - ***SIGNUPS IN THREAD***

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 pm UTC

Yay! thanks for making one I'll sign up for (the ghost one I'm intimidated by). Do we put the Letter/Names up here? I'm not sure if that was clear in the signup. I'll edit in mine if the answer is yes.

Players:
1. Freezeblade

Replacements:
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

Players:
1. Freezeblade
2. Madge (Wendy the White-Hat Hacker)

Replacements:
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Yay! thanks for making one I'll sign up for (the ghost one I'm intimidated by). Do we put the Letter/Names up here? I'm not sure if that was clear in the signup. I'll edit in mine if the answer is yes.
Yep, just post it in the thread here. :)
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

Players:
1. Freezeblade
3. Lawrencelot

Replacements:

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

Players:
1. Freezeblade (Dan the Demolitions Expert)
3. Lawrencelot

Replacements:
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:03 am UTC

Players:
3. Lawrencelot
4. Gopher of Pern (Harry the Hustler)

Replacements:
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 am UTC

Sorry, I refuse to choose a name other than my own. Hopefully this works :wink:

Players:
3. Lawrencelot
5. Vytron the Vampire

Replacements:

maident

Postby maident » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:40 am UTC

Interesting :mrgreen:

Players:
3. Lawrencelot
5. Vytron the Vampire
6. Maident (Takka the Tinkerer)

Replacements:

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 am UTC

Players:
3. Lawrencelot (Gopher the Guard)
5. Vytron the Vampire

Replacements:
...[/quote]

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

Players:
3. Lawrencelot (Gopher the Guard)
5. Vytron the Vampire
7. Djehutynakht (Leonard the Librarian)

Replacements:

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:37 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:3. Lawrencelot (Gopher the Guard)
Hmmm, can you go for a different G name? Having a Gopher who isn't Gopher might get confusing :P

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

That was the point :P, but ok

Players:
3. Lawrencelot (Gary the Guard)
5. Vytron the Vampire

Replacements:

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:43 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire

Replacements:
1. SDK
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:00 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
8. Cemper (Ray the Rapper)

Replacements:
1. SDK

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:07 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
9. moody7277 (Otto the Optometrist)

Replacements:
1. SDK
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

CBusAlex

Postby CBusAlex » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:18 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
10. CBusAlex (Magnus the Magician)

Replacements:
1. SDK

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:03 am UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
11. mpolo (Xavier the Xylophonist)

Replacements:
1. SDK
Image <-- Evil experiment

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:27 am UTC

Changing my name

Players:
3. Lawrencelot (Ulric the Undertaker)
5. Vytron the Vampire

Replacements:
1. SDK

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 am UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
12. DarkLoink (Jerry the Jeweler)

Replacements:
1. SDK
...[/quote]

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
13. bessie (Petra the Paleontologist)

Replacements:
1. SDK

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 am UTC

Woop, thank you everyone for signing up! I've got some awesome ideas for the roles you've submitted - we should be in for a fun game. :D

I'll get this launched sometime over the weekend - in the mean time, feel free to sign up as a player/replacement if you haven't already done so!

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
14. SDK (Siegfried the Seismologist)

Replacements:
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

candyfloss

Postby candyfloss » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
15. candyfloss (Cleo the Conspiracy Theorist)

Replacements:

kalira

Postby kalira » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:20 am UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
16. kalira (Zoe the Zebra Striper)

Replacements:
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 am UTC

Players:
5. Vytron the Vampire
16. kalira (Zoe the Zebra Striper)
17. ahippo (Nancy the Night Guard)

Replacements:

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:50 pm UTC

Signups closed - game to begin shortly

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:10 pm UTC

Let's meet the residents of Smalltown! (nb: Gopher has dropped down to a replacement, so Harry the Hustler has been removed)

Cleo the Conspiracy Theorist (candyfloss)
Screw detailed investigations - everyone knows that the Man can only be beaten by looking at the bigger picture! Cleo doesn't target players in order to carry out her investigations - instead, she stays up all night researching on the internet. Before the end of each day, Cleo must send the mod a list of player names exactly as long as half the number of current living players, rounded up (in other words, the number needed to majority lynch). The mod will then provide Cleo with the number of players on that list that are not town. Note that investigation roles may be affected by Wendy's ability.

Dan the Demolitions Expert (Freezeblade)
Any idiot can blow up a building. To do the job well however takes plenty of time and careful planning... and that's where Dan comes in. Each night, Dan can target a player with the action 'Demolish: X', rigging that player's house with explosives. That player will then be killed in a powerful explosion at the beginning of the day after next - i.e. if the action took place in N1, the death would take place at the start of D3. The night before the explosion, Dan may target the same player with the action 'Cancel Demolition: X', which prevents the kill taking place. Dan cannot both cancel an explosion and prepare a new demolition on the same night. Should Dan die any outstanding explosions will still take place.

Jerry the Jeweller (Dark Loink)
Gold, diamonds, rubies... surely, the real treasure in life is actual treasure! Jerry is very protective of his jewels - so much so, that he's had a lethal security system installed to deter would-be thieves. Ahead of each night, Jerry can decide whether to turn the security system on or off. If another player targets Jerry and the system is turned on, then that player will be killed by the system before they can carry out their action. If two or more players target Jerry in the same night then only one of them is killed (selected randomly). Despite his wealth, Jerry is a miser and doesn't like a high power bill - the system therefore cannot be left on for two nights running.

Leonard the Librarian (Djehutynakht)
Why is it that people always think researching is difficult, when it's so easy? After all, Smalltown library has a whole wing full of books about who in the town might actually be criminals. Of course, Leonard doesn't have time to read any of the books himself - but he can point others in the right direction! Each night, Leonard may target another player (X) with the action 'Assist X in researching Y'. X will then be informed of Y's alignment. Note that investigation roles may be affected by Wendy's ability.

Magnus the Magician (CBusAlex)
There are two types of magician in this world. There are those who are entertainers, who perform magic tricks and amazing stunts for a living. And there’s Magnus, who CAN do magic and is actually kind of scary. Each night, Magnus may target another player with either the action ‘Magic Missile: X’ or the action ‘Illusory Missile: X’. With both actions, at the start of the next day a message will appear along the lines of ‘A magic missile is following X!’ At the end of the day, after the lynch, the target will be killed if magic missile was cast. If illusory missile was cast, the missile will simply vanish. If Magnus is lynched himself, then both kinds of missile will instantly vanish, resulting in no kill.

Nancy the Night Guard (ahippo)
Smalltown may be a quiet place, but there’s still a role for guards like Nancy. Each night, Nancy may choose a player to protect with the action ‘Guard: X’. If that player is targeted by another player, then Nancy will block the action against the target. Staying up all night isn’t good for the reactions however - as such, if multiple player target Nancy’s target, Nancy will only be able to block one action (selected at random).

Otto the Optometrist (moody7277)
Otto has had an interesting life. He may be an eye doctor now, but before he retrained he had been a battlefield medic. Each night, Otto may visit another player using the action ‘Doctor: X’. If X has been targeted by the Mafia kill that night, then Otto will save that player’s life. Note that Otto cannot save the life of a player killed in any other way. Unless roleblocked, Otto will leave their target with a bottle of eyedrops, which grants the target a 1-shot watcher ability which can be used on any subsequent night instead of their usual action.

Petra the Palaeontologist (Bessie)
Petra is good looking at dead things. She’s also very good at working out how they died. The thing is though, she’s used to studying things that have been dead for thousands of years… she might be able to speed things up a little, but she couldn’t study something that had only just died. Each night, Petra may send the mod the name of a player whose death was announced at least two days previously – for example, if X was found dead at the start of D2, Petra could use N4 to investigate their death. If Petra is successful in her investigation, she will find out the name of the player who killed the dead player.

Ray the Rapper (Cemper)
Ray just lives for rapping – so much so that when he freestyles he loses himself entirely in the music and raps about things in his life he was never really aware of himself. Each night, Ray may target a player to rap at, and select the name of another player to rap about: for example, ‘Rap about Y to: X’. The player Ray raps to (X) will receive a rather bizarre rap informing them about everyone the other player (Y) has targeted since the start of the game, including the night in question. Ray himself will have no memory of what he says.

Siegfried the Seismologist (SDK)
Smalltown is kind of boring for Siegfried – he spent a small fortune on his seismographs, but given that the nearest faultline is the other side of the country there are never any earthquakes for him to measure. With the Mafia loose however he’s decided to put them to a different purpose… Each night, Siegfried may target a player using the action ‘Plant Seismograph: X’. Siegfried will then secretly plant a seismograph in that player’s house. On all subsequent nights, Siegfried will be informed how many players targeted each player with a seismograph on each night.

Takka the Tinkerer (Maident)
Cars, gadgets, hospital equipment… Takka has always enjoyed tinkering with things that are best left alone – and that includes this game’s voting mechanics! Each night, Takka may target another player and decide to increase or decrease their voting strength by 0.2 votes. Any changes are made public at the start of the next day, and remain in effect unless Takka subsequently uses their ability to reverse the change. The number of votes needed to majority lynch will be adjusted to reflect the total net vote changes in play. If Takka dies, all vote changes become permanent!

Ulric the Undertaker (Lawrencelot)
It’s not pleasant work, but someone has to do it. Each night, Ulric appears as automatically targeting every player who died that night (note: Ulric will never trigger Jerry’s ability through this automatic action). For as long as Ulric is in the game, all day start flavour will make it clear who was killed by the Mafia, who was killed by the Serial Killer, who was killed by vampire infighting, and who was killed by Jerry. If Ulric should die, all death flavour apart from Dan's explosions and Magnus' magic missiles will become generic.

Vytron the Vampire (Vytron)
Aha-ha-ha-ha-ha! All good sleepy little towns have a vampire infestation, and Smalltown is no exception. Each night, Vytron may target another player with the action ‘Bite: X’. If any bitten players subsequently die, they will immediately rise from the grave at the start of the next day start. Any resurrected players will now be Vampires themselves, as described in this role. Vytron cannot be resurrected himself (as he is already a Vampire to start with). Vampires retain their original alignment and can be killed just like any other player. Additionally if a Vampire is bitten by another Vampire they die.

Wendy the White-Hat Hacker (madge)
For many people, the laughably poor state of internet security is no big deal – who cares if some dumb celebrity got their twitter hacked? For Wendy however, it’s deadly serious. Determined to educate people the only way she’s knows how, Wendy can target a player each day to hack during the night. Using her highly-advanced skills, Wendy will find out that player’s alignment. Then, she will patch her target’s security software, making it so that her target will appear as Town to any future investigative actions.

Xavier the Xylophonist (mpolo)
Xavier likes the simple things in life: vegetable soups, cloudy grey days, lukewarm baths… But what he really likes is the Xylophone. When he plays it, it is as if nothing else in the world matters… Each night, Xavier may choose whether or not to play the Xylophone. If he decides to play it, then any targeted actions against him other than the Mafia and SK kills will fail.

Zoe the Zebra Striper (kalira)
Zoe likes Zebras. In fact she likes them so much, she paints stripes on other people so that they look like Zebras, much to the confusion of the local nature media. Each night, Zoe may target a player to paint stripes on. At the start of each day, the mod text will contain a bulletin from a local wildlife report, describing the previous night’s Zebra sightings – for example, ‘Last night saw Zebras targeting the homes of X and Y. Experts are baffled by this unusual migratory pattern.’ If a striped player dies, their Zebra status is revealed along with their alignment. The wildlife reports continue even if Zoe dies.

I will be posting details of the game rules and the alignment PMs shortly. Note that alignment have not yet been allocated, and will be assigned entirely randomly.

Please do not post in this thread for now.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

Rules
Read 'em carefully, they're good for you. :wink:

Standard Rules:

1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread.
2. DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME OUTSIDE THIS THREAD.
3. Please stay on topic.
4. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, TELL ME. Really bad lurkers risk MODKILL
5. If you aren't part of the game, please post in a separate, forbidden to players, thread for outside analysis.
6. Once I say that the day has ended, do not post in the thread
7. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
8. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM or any other messages sent to you by the mods. Paraphrasing is fine.
9. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out.

Specific Game Rules:
1. I may set a deadline for the day, indicating when I am likely to call night. Until I actually call night, however, you are free to keep posting.
2. If at any point a player receives a majority of votes (as stated in the mod votals), then the day ends, even if I haven't posted yet. You must not post after a majority is reached.
3. All votes should be made by posting on a new line, IN BOLD. For example,
VOTE: Misnomer
4. You must post an Unvote before you can make a new vote. For example,
UNVOTE
VOTE: Remonsim

5. If you have questions, either post them IN BOLD in this thread, or PM me.
6. You may only communicate with other players by PM if I have specifically said you can do so. You must CC me in all PMs.
7. This game is nightless - see details below.
8. Players cannot target themselves.
9. At the start of each day phase I will reveal the alignments & related details of all players killed since the start of the previous day phase.
10. A tied vote at day end will result in No Lynch.
11. Due to the possibility of Vampire resurrection, dead players must NOT read spoilers until their alignment has been revealed.

Nightless Setup
This game is nightless - if a player or faction has any night actions, these must be submitted before the end of the day phase. All night actions are then processed as quickly as possible, and the next day begins straight away. If a player fails to send in an action, they will not carry out any action that night (unless that day was exceptionally short - i.e. a majority lynch was reached within 24 hours, in which case a brief period of grace might be allowed in which actions can be sent in). Players are therefore encouraged to send in provisional actions early on during the day phase - I have no problem with players changing their minds before the day ends, as long as they don't drown me in PMs.

I will allow players to send in back-up actions should events such as the lynch make their original action impossible. For example, the Mafia might send in the action:
Kill: X
Back-up Kill: Y

If X is lynched or otherwise killed at the end of the day, I will treat the Mafia as having decided to kill Y that night instead. Note I will only allow players to submit one action and one back-up action at a time - if both actions are rendered impossible, then no action takes place.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:02 am UTC

Alignments:

Setup:

This game has 16 players, broken down as follows:
10 town players (including 2 town masons)
4 mafia players
1 serial killer
1 hesitant jester

Role PMs:
You are Town! You win when the Mafia and the Serial Killer have all been permanently killed. Good luck!

You are Town! You win when the Mafia and the Serial Killer have all been permanently killed. Additionally, you and the other recipient of this message are secretly masons. You know each other to be town, and may communicate with each other via PM. Please CC me into all messages. Good luck!

You are Mafia, along with the other three recipients of this message. In addition to your public abilities you may communicate with each other via PM, and one of you may carry out the Mafia kill. The player carrying out the kill will be unable to use their public ability that night. Control of the kill decision will be randomly distributed to one of you at the start of each day, although you are encouraged to come to an agreement on the decision collectively. Please CC me into all messages. You win when the Serial Killer is permanently dead and Smalltown is under your control, or when there is no way to prevent this from happening. Good luck!

You are the Serial Killer. Each day, message me the name of another player who you wish to kill that night. As a super-scary serial killer, you have certain abilities - you will always appear as Town in all investigations, and you are immune to the Mafia kill. You win if all 15 other players are permanently dead at the end of the game. Good luck!

You are the Hesitant Jester. You win if you are lynched on any day apart from Day 1. You lose if you are lynched on Day 1, or are permanently killed by any means other than the lynch. If you are successfully lynched from Day 2 onwards, but nonetheless come back as a Vampire, you will get a second, bonus win if you then survive until the end of the game.

Alignments will be assigned and allocated shortly - please continue to refrain from posting during this time.

Misnomer

Re: Smalltown PYP - D1 - Smalltown, Big Trouble

Postby Misnomer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 am UTC

All alignments have now been sent out - PM me urgently if you have not received one.

Day 1

It was another quiet, sleepy morning in Smalltown. The sun sat gently in the sky, the birds sang, and everything was exactly how it should be.

Except, of course, for Harry the Hustler lying dead in the town square.

'This is awful!' Zoe cried, almost dropping her stuffed toy Zebra in shock. 'Who would do such a terrible thing?'

'You wouldn't believe it Zoe' whispered Cleo agitatedly, 'The stuff I've heard of... it could be government spooks, or fascist thugs working for the fluoride industry, or the lizard people that live in area 51...'

'Well *I* think it's the Mafia' said Ulric, rather forcibly. 'I've seen many bodies in my time, and that looks like the work of mobsters to me.'

'Are you sure?' asked Otto, peering over a pair of rather menacing glasses which perched on the end of his nose. 'I did read in the paper the other day that they thought there was a serial killer on the loose...'

'Or maybe it vas an act of suicide!' interjected Vytron, shielding himself from the sun beneath a large pink parasol, 'Von does hear of jesters who does such things. Aha-ha-ha-ha!'

'Well whatever's going on, I think we should start lynching' said Jerry with perhaps slightly too much pleasure. 'We cannot have criminals running around after all.'

Jerry's plan met with general agreement, and everyone soon got to work building a makeshift scaffold. Only Leonard held back, soemwhat fretful about the whole proceedings. He'd read a lot about mafia attacks - he knew how these stories usually ended.

'Oh dear,' he sighed, 'we are in trouble...'

It is now Day 1.
No zebras have been sighted recently.
16 players alive, 9 votes needed to majority lynch.

Good luck everyone! :D

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 am UTC

Oh wow, I totally didn't get that this would be an open setup. I've never played nor even seen an open PYP setup before, how interesting. Also, the zebra striper is pretty much the coolest investigative role ever.

It's past 3AM, so I will do the majority of setup analysis tomorrow. Just one thing: it is very likely a good idea to vote on the targets for all (most? I don't know whether I missed one where it wouldn't work) night actions. This will be somewhat cumbersome given the amount of targeted night actions we have, but will give town additional information and lynches by avoiding multiple vigilantes or cops shooting for the same person. Furthermore, it will keep the scum power roles in check, since they will either have to shoot for each other as we tell them too or be caught lying about their targets, which would make them an easy lynch.

maident

Postby maident » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:42 am UTC

More for my sake than anything, I'm gonna see if I can break the roles down into categories. Anyone else is free to comment, suggest, fix any errors, or otherwise.

Investigative:
Candyfloss (Cleo): Sends in a list of names (longest on N1) that will result in knowing the amount of non-town in that list. More helpful the longer the role stays around.
Djehutynakht (Leonard): Sends one player another's alignment.
Bessie (Petra): Can find out the name of a player's killer two nights after it occurred.
Madge (Wendy): Alignment cop and alignment concealer.
Cemper (Ray): Gives list of a player's targets to another player.
SDK (Siegfried): Knows how many players target any player with a seismograph in their house. Can plant 1 seismograph per night.
Kalira (Zoe): Paints players; these will be watched automatically every night as a group - in other words, it seems more helpful the less/more specifically it is used.

Kills
Freezeblade (Dan): Takes two nights.
CBusAlex (Magnus): Basically a night kill that happens at the end of the next day; can be a bluff.

Other:
Dark Loink (Jerry): Sort of like a vet, but can only have his power on every other night.
Ahippo (Nancy): Bodyguard, can only block one action per night.
Moody7277 (Otto): Doctor (only protects against Mafia) that gives a 1-shot watcher ability.
Maident (Takka): Vote power increase/decrease of any player by 0.2.
Lawrencelot (Ulric): Gives information regarding who's responsible for deaths (mafia, SK, etc).
Vytron (Vytron): Any players bitten by Vytron before they die will turn into a vampire; can kill vampires with a bite.
Mpolo (Xavier): Can play their xylophone to protect themselves against everything except for Mafia and SK.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 am UTC

Thanks for the list - I noticed that Nancy's not a bodyguard; she's a jailer who doesn't RB her target and can only RB one person a night. (I am sure there's a more succinct way of putting it)

I'm also quite surprised that the setup is open, down to roles! But I'm glad they are as the roles are all AWESOME. You go, Misnomer! They're lovely.

In terms of having everyone vote for everyone else's actions - I for one am happy for people to come to a consensus about who I should investigate, but I'm not sure that would help us, since scum might take care of me if I look like I'm going to be targeting one of them. And it goes without saying that we shouldn't be taking votes for who Otto and Vytron should be targeting.

I think we should definitely claim our targets the following day, though. (Except, again, the obvious exceptions - e.g. Vytron; and I suppose Zoe should be claiming beforehand, because if she's killed during the night we won't know who she striped)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

maident

Postby maident » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:45 am UTC

Oh, yeah you're totally right. I misunderstood the ability the first time I read it through.
I think the previous game that Misnomer linked had a similar open-role setup; agreed on the lovely roles though. :mrgreen:

In terms of voting, I have to disagree. There's a lot of night actions, and I don't think it's practical to vote on most of them. Candyfloss' list, for example, would probably be better left to Candyfloss.

Claiming, on the other hand, could be beneficial (except with Moody and Vytron as you noted). I'm somewhat wary of giving too much information away, but I can also see that it would help with less crossed wires (for lack of a better term).

The most jarring factor (at least for me) is the lack of a night phase; people may not use powers at all if they don't send in actions in time and I feel like I could be one of those people.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 am UTC

Hi everyone I'm here but I probably won't have time to make a real post until tomorrow. I'm preparing for a presentation for work in the morning. I'm not sure if I like the idea of voting on targets, but I haven't really read all the roles carefully yet, and it looks like there are a lot of night actions. I do think we should probably claim the following day.

Ninja'd.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:05 am UTC

Hey all, I've skimmed the roles and other mod posts. For now I disagree with claiming targets beforehand, but I do agree most actions should be claimed the day after as that will give a lot of information. Unlike normal mafia, where power roles should be careful showing what they did, here all roles are open so we can claim away!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

Crap, I just realized I'm in another Misnomer-moded game.

*hoards silver bullets*
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:02 pm UTC

Add me to the list of Misnormer's fans :)

I really think we should vote for who Freezeblade should target, as that'd basically be a second lynch. Not sure about the rest but this one seems clear. Suggesting underline votes below the bold ones.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

Magnus the Magician is also a lynch.

If the Magician gets killed by some means other than lynching, will his missiles vanish?

Return to “Mafia”