1480: "Super Bowl"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HungryHobo

Re: 1480: "Super Bowl"

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:25 pm UTC

Minstrel wrote: He puts it in the context of a friend, but in reality for many non-sports types, its the office where you're essentially trapped into listening to what can seem like endless sports talk. In my experience, most sports fans wouldn't be half as charitable listening to how cool it was that I could basically convert Labyrinth of Madness on the fly from AD&D to C&C or how I finally wrapped my head around EventMachine and event-driven I/O,

Yep, all the people marching in and insisting that anyone who disagrees with Randal can only be the kind of horrible person who reacts to their husband/wife talking about her day with "shut up" are stinking up the topic.

The people who get sick of football talk are the ones stuck as a captive audience for sports-fan bores who they aren't friends with and may have to spend much of their lives trapped near such people.

If you're talking about the superbowl to

1: your lover
2: your friend who came over to watch the game

then Randals argument and those of the pro-sports fans in the thread apply.

if you're talking about the superbowl to
3: people in your office who aren't really into it
4: people in your class who aren't really into it
5: anyone, anywhere who isn't particularly your friend and doesn't get much choice about being near you

then you are an asshole and Randals argument and those of the pro-sports fans in the thread do not apply.

Firstly, imagine every time within a day that football is mentioned by someone else. Secondly, replace it with something that you don't want to hear about every day. Say... Archaeology. Then, think about how an average day would pan out.

So, you awaken to the clock radio. It's 7AM. Just as you awaken, it's time for the news and archaeology already. Not news and other historical investigations, like library restorations or museum openings (unless there's another event happening), but just the news and archaelogy. Malaysian plane is still missing. Pistorius is still on trial. New dig announced in Giza. Ancient Mayan temple discovered. Exciting stuff.

Time for a bite to eat over the morning TV. More news. More archaeology. Yes, you are aware of what is up with the missing plane. Fine. Now the archaeology in video format. Video of people dusting off some skulls and bits of pottery. All well and good, but archaeology isn't your thing. It would be nice to hear about something else. Even when it isn't archaeology season, the media follow noted archaeologists. They drive fast cars, have sex with beautiful women, advertise fragrances, and sometimes they go to nightclubs and act in the worst possible way. Scandals erupt as the tabloids follow these new celebrities when they're not searching the past for answers. It is entirely possible you can recite the names of certain researchers, even if you don't pay attention to archaeology. You don't know what transfer season is, but you know that someone was transferred to a dig in Peru for a sum of money that could fund the London Underground for two whole days.

Out of the car at 8:55 and into work. What are the colleagues talking about, I wonder? Oh, Jones dropped a 3,890 year old pot and smashed it? What a useless wanker! Someone should do something unpleasant to him. And don't even ask about the unfortunate incident in Athens two years ago - you'll be there all day! Breaking a pillar like that! We don't talk about that here, mate. What? You don't want to discuss the finer points of the prevalence of phallic imagery in Pompeii? Is there something wrong with you?

The drive home from work. Every thirty minutes, no matter the station, someone mentions the archaeology. Best sit in silence. Drive past a huge billboard with a black and white picture of a rakishly handsome archaeologist draped over an impossibly beautiful woman. He's winking at you. Trowel in his left hand, supermodel in the right. Jurassic, by Calvin Klein.

And now the pub. A nice pub with a beer garden. Posters in the windows. LIVE EXCAVATION AT THE VALLEY OF THE KINGS! All of it on a huge TV with the volume up too loud. Drunken people yelling at the screen. "SEND IT FOR CARBON DATING, YOU USELESS CUNT!" "WHAT ARE YOU ON, MATE? DUST THE ANCIENT MEDALLION GENTLY! SMELTING METHODS OF THE TIME PRODUCED VERY SOFT AND IMPURE METALS EASILY PRONE TO DISFIGURATION!" All this from two men out of a crowd of twenty. One lousy drunken idiot and his chum ruin the image of other archaeology fans. Carbon dating report from the lab updates on TV, read by a man employed because they've been following the beautiful science since they were a boy. The drunk chimes in again. "WHAT PHARAOH'S REIGN DID YOU SAY? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SAYS ABOUT THE UNDERPINNINGS OF OUR THEORY OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT OF 4TH BC EGYPT? GET IN, MATE!" A cheer cascades through the building and you can only wonder why.

Best go home and avoid anyone who might be drinking and singing. You once met a disagreeable chap who threatened to beat you up because you didn't watch the archaeology. "Not a late paleolithic era supporter are you? Think you're better than me? I'll fucking have you, you scrawny cunt!"

To bed. To repeat the cycle tomorrow. The inescapable, inevitability that wherever you go, someone, somewhere, is just dying to talk to you about the archaeology.

source~http://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblems/comments/22osn0/as_the_fifa_world_cup_approaches_the_antifootball/cgpdacf
Last edited by HungryHobo on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:06 pm UTC

I've seen that archaeology analogy before. On facebook, I think. I'd just like to say that regardless of my stance on sports (I rather enjoy them), that world sounds completely awesome.

(Well, except for the beating up bit.)

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:I've seen that archaeology analogy before. On facebook, I think. I'd just like to say that regardless of my stance on sports (I rather enjoy them), that world sounds completely awesome.

(Well, except for the beating up bit.)

'FLAMING STAR - THE STORY OF ONE MAN'S SEARCH FOR VENGEANCE IN THE RAW AND VIOLENT WORLD OF INTERNATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGY
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

I just asked Aaron Diaz where "sports ball" comes from

Twitter wrote:Aaron Diaz (@dresdencodak_)

@Fontia_Sprocket Just a gag I came up with for Hob. I don't think it had a particular origin.

So. He did invent it. :-)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:32 pm UTC

Except it's "sportball", not "sportsball". Sportball as played by the Sportland Sports. Woo go team! Score some points! YEAH!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Except it's "sportball", not "sportsball". Sportball as played by the Sportland Sports. Woo go team! Score some points! YEAH!

Congratulations.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:43 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Except it's "sportball", not "sportsball". Sportball as played by the Sportland Sports. Woo go team! Score some points! YEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvYe0p4Ux_0#t=83

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Oh good, it's an anti-sports snob - hooray! It deserves to be reviled? Get off your high horse. You could trot out half this stuff about the movie and music industries (both horribly exploitative and responsible for some unpleasant people), but nobody suggests we all stop watching movies or listening to music because that would be pretty stupid. Sport is just an easy target for people like you to sneer at.

Are there roving gangs of movie fans in London threatening to kick your head in because you happen to innocently be wearing a scarf with the wrong director's colours?* Pitched street battles between Directioneers and Beliebers? Get real.

(* This has happened to me. I have a nice warm wooly scarf that's black-and-white stripes. I can't wear it any more because too many Neanderthals apparently think it means I support some football team or other.)
And nobody's expecting you to be a fan, just let me enjoy sport and I'll let you dislike it.

On a side note the game yesterday was very good.

And here you are proving my point. You won't just let me dislike it. Sports fans have to insert inane sports drivel into. Every. Single. Conversation.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20 pm UTC

I'm sorry some football fans are morons (for the record, most of us are not, and most of us don't talk about sport to people who aren't interested). It doesn't really excuse your sanctimonious arrogance though.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:04 pm UTC

I'll take your failure to answer my questions...
markfiend wrote:Are there roving gangs of movie fans in London threatening to kick your head in because you happen to innocently be wearing a scarf with the wrong director's colours? Pitched street battles between Directioneers and Beliebers?
...as an admission that you're wrong.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:28 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:I'll take your failure to answer my questions...
markfiend wrote:Are there roving gangs of movie fans in London threatening to kick your head in because you happen to innocently be wearing a scarf with the wrong director's colours? Pitched street battles between Directioneers and Beliebers?
...as an admission that you're wrong.

No, you don't get to do that - someone not answering your questions is an indication that they either don't want to or haven't got round to answering your questions, nothing more. Regardless of the merits of your points your style of debate is petty and confrontational. Maybe that's why people are disinclined to engage with your questions.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:58 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:No, you don't get to do that - someone not answering your questions is an indication that they either don't want to or haven't got round to answering your questions, nothing more. Regardless of the merits of your points your style of debate is petty and confrontational. Maybe that's why people are disinclined to engage with your questions.

Or more likely it's a really uncomfortable question that the other person doesn't want to answer honestly because it would force them to accept things they don't want to accept about their peer group.

it's a dirty debate tactic but the other poster was already simply calling him names rather than making any actual points so it wasn't really still in debateland.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

markfiend entered the thread with being sanctimonious and insulting.

I'm kinda glad I don't live wherever he does, though. That world sounds like it really sucks. I've never been beat up in the street for any particular thing I'm wearing.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:49 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:No, you don't get to do that - someone not answering your questions is an indication that they either don't want to or haven't got round to answering your questions, nothing more.

It's a valid reductio ad absurdum of his stance; I think I'm entitled to make a conclusion from the fact he doesn't challenge it.
Quercus wrote:Regardless of the merits of your points your style of debate is petty and confrontational. Maybe that's why people are disinclined to engage with your questions.

OK, because I'm angry and upset, that entitles you to ignore me. Good to know. Thanks.
Copper Bezel wrote:markfiend entered the thread with being sanctimonious and insulting.

Sanctimonious and insulting? What did I say that was sanctimonious? I can't see anything where I try to claim any sort of moral superiority. What did I say that was insulting? The first reply to me was insulting, calling me a snob, and accusing me of being on my "high horse". No-one seems to have berated charliepanayi for his debate style.
Copper Bezel wrote:I'm kinda glad I don't live wherever he does, though. That world sounds like it really sucks. I've never been beat up in the street for any particular thing I'm wearing.

Thanks for the insinuation that I'm lying. That's pretty insulting, no? (I didn't say that I had been beaten up, I said that I had been threatened by the way.) I don't know how I'd prove it, but if you won't take my word for it, well, I might suggest you try walking into a pub near Ibrox on a match day wearing green, but I don't want anyone's death on my conscience.

=====================

Look, I may have worded it strongly, but that's because I feel strongly that (it seems to me that) Randall has massively dropped the ball (heh) on this.

The first panel: "I don't know much about sports, which can be culturally isolating, so it's tempting to get vocal and defensive about not following them."

So yeah, I'm vocal and defensive. So sue me.

But the very next sentence: "Caring about something makes you vulnerable, so not caring gives you power." No. This is flat-out wrong. There is no way at all that I will accept that non-sports-fans have any power over sports-fans. It's a ridiculous thing to say. Sports fans are not an oppressed minority and never will be. Pro-sports is not a minority interest, it's something you can barely get away from anywhere (and this is the point of the "archaeology" story).

The whole comic is an implied snub to those of us non-sports-fans who use the "sportsball" and "superb-owl" type jokes to vent our frustration at our "cultural isolation" as he puts it. We are excluded and, if not actively ridiculed, then at least thoughtlessly marginalised by this huge fandom of something that's both hugely popular and (IMO) destructive.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:I'm kinda glad I don't live wherever he does, though. That world sounds like it really sucks. I've never been beat up in the street for any particular thing I'm wearing.

Thanks for the insinuation that I'm lying. That's pretty insulting, no? (I didn't say that I had been beaten up, I said that I had been threatened by the way.) I don't know how I'd prove it, but if you won't take my word for it, well, I might suggest you try walking into a pub near Ibrox on a match day wearing green, but I don't want anyone's death on my conscience.

I'm not at all certain that the intended implication was that you were lying. I think we've all, for example, seen news reports on riots are Team X won their latest championship. And while American football fans are generally pretty chill, there are certainly stadia and areas where you'd want to be careful about being too vocal about supporting the wrong team. I, for one, and genuinely grateful that the closest I've personally experienced to hostility over a sports team would more accurately be described as good-natured teasing.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:23 pm UTC

Aye you might be right, I'm probably being over-sensitive.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
markfiend wrote:

I'm not at all certain that the intended implication was that you were lying. I think we've all, for example, seen news reports on riots are Team X won their latest championship. And while American football fans are generally pretty chill, there are certainly stadia and areas where you'd want to be careful about being too vocal about supporting the wrong team. I, for one, and genuinely grateful that the closest I've personally experienced to hostility over a sports team would more accurately be described as good-natured teasing.

Yeah. I phrased it poorly, but riots over games are something I've always been able to think of as something that happens to other people. Generally I'd like to continue doing things that keep it that way, like not living in places where that kind of shit happens. I can concede that there are severely sports-saturated communities where that kind of thing can get scary, but as someone who really does have the option of ignoring sports and sports fans entirely, which I honestly think is more typical than the contrary, it'd be self-entitled nonsense for me to complain about it.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:01 am UTC

Thanks Copper Bezel, and for what it's worth I apologise for saying that you were accusing me of lying.

The whole of the UK is a "severely sports-saturated community", or at least it seems that way to me. I'm going to (try to) leave this thread alone now; I've said my piece.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

No apology necessary - looking at what I typed, it really did look like I was implying that you were, so I'm sorry for that.

she / her / her

Whatev

Postby Whatev » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:38 am UTC

markfiend wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:Oh good, it's an anti-sports snob - hooray! It deserves to be reviled? Get off your high horse. You could trot out half this stuff about the movie and music industries (both horribly exploitative and responsible for some unpleasant people), but nobody suggests we all stop watching movies or listening to music because that would be pretty stupid. Sport is just an easy target for people like you to sneer at.

Are there roving gangs of movie fans in London threatening to kick your head in because you happen to innocently be wearing a scarf with the wrong director's colours?* Pitched street battles between Directioneers and Beliebers? Get real.

(* This has happened to me. I have a nice warm wooly scarf that's black-and-white stripes. I can't wear it any more because too many Neanderthals apparently think it means I support some football team or other.)
And nobody's expecting you to be a fan, just let me enjoy sport and I'll let you dislike it.

On a side note the game yesterday was very good.

And here you are proving my point. You won't just let me dislike it. Sports fans have to insert inane sports drivel into. Every. Single. Conversation.

I can't think of anything on the movies front, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Coast ... op_rivalry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_rockers

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:Thanks Copper Bezel, and for what it's worth I apologise for saying that you were accusing me of lying.

The whole of the UK is a "severely sports-saturated community", or at least it seems that way to me. I'm going to (try to) leave this thread alone now; I've said my piece.

I wouldn't say that the UK is at all sports-saturated. If it were, there'd be no room at all for the celebrity-worshipping culture that I find mind-numbingly pervasive.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:23 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
markfiend wrote:Thanks Copper Bezel, and for what it's worth I apologise for saying that you were accusing me of lying.

I wouldn't say that the UK is at all sports-saturated. If it were, there'd be no room at all for the celebrity-worshipping culture that I find mind-numbingly pervasive.

Although to be fair, there is significant overlap...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:I think we've all, for example, seen news reports on riots are Team X won their latest championship. And while American football fans are generally pretty chill, there are certainly stadia and areas where you'd want to be careful about being too vocal about supporting the wrong team. I, for one, and genuinely grateful that the closest I've personally experienced to hostility over a sports team would more accurately be described as good-natured teasing.

Underline added by me. the city I live in is like this. I will not go into downtown oakland when there's a raider's game on. It is just not done. And if you do, better be wearing the right colors. (Just wear all black, or black with grey, and you'll be fine).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”