1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1760

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:00 am UTC

LARONGOSCOPIST...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Yay, Popebot! Bow for your robot overlord! Image Decree: rONGs, with optional OTTification or colorization.

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NOOOO THEY BE NINJAING MY SEMENCOFFEECANCERSTARSANDBACONBABIESONICE

-- posted by randompixbot

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:57 am UTC

Hello OTTers!

I came home late nigth from the FFS related meeting that prevented me from participating on the conference in the first place, just to find to my greatest sadness by ketchupping the OTT that imissed the final minutes of song and togetherness by only about 10 minutes. :cry: Addams said it quite well.

But I am happy for you that you had such a molpish and great time. I really hope for the recordings and IRC logs to be released soon.

Have a good vacation and a safe journey home!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:59 am UTC

Molpy up... and seeing other molpies up too:
Users browsing this forum: BlitzGirl, ggh, Google [Bot], Marsh'n, Sciscitor, sevenperforce, StormAngel and 14 guests

Whoa!
I'm molpied up!
I start my STA,
To make my OTT foray,
Welcome to the newdip, to the newdip!

Dear beloved Popebot: If loving you is rite, I don't wanna be rONG...

ETA: contextualize quote better.
Last edited by Marsh'n on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Molpied up and [zan]Cleaned

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:09 am UTC

I'll br down for breakfast fairly soon.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:17 am UTC

Molpied up, soon to embark for breakfast.
Oh ch*rp, I meant to ottify something for CueganShippingDip but then OTTerCon.

Have an old candy heart left over from last yip:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Molpied up

We're in Germany so I'll say "Ich bin aufgemolpt".
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

HES

Postby HES » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:33 am UTC

Schnitzelisch!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:03 am UTC

Happy 100 posts, Marsh'n!
Cake:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:19 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Happy 100 posts, Marsh'n!
Cake:
Spoiler:

Thank you so much! Looks like lots to go around, and just in time for desert!
As I said to the breakfast crew, that's the first time I got to insert a... Er, okay, maybe I'd better not :azule: here.

Plans for the day include castle and possibly chocolate. We are arranging an organized Wait For It while people figure out when they are ready to meetup.

Sustainabilizer

Aufgemolpt

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:40 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:We're in Germany so I'll say "Ich bin aufgemolpt".

Auch ich bin inzwischen aufgemolpt.
Spoiler:
I molpied up, too, in the meantime.

HES wrote:Schnitzelisch!

Unlike a steak, a schnitzel gets thwapped before getting roasted. In fact I already heard the German idiom „wie ein Schnitzel“ (“like a schnitzel”) with the meaning “[a person/thing which got] thwapped” („bekloppt” in German) which in turn stands for “mad”.

I'm feeling somewhat schnitzelisch (or schnitzeligni) todip, with „bekloppt“ taken literally (which implies “not unlike a steambottle“), so I better shouldn't get to any place todip, :( but yesterdip's experience was worth it. :)

Molpy up!
Have fun at the Image

standard: And “treeish” can be „baumig” or „baumisch“. Both suffixes work; it's just a matter of taste.

Redundant Castles:
Spoiler:
If you like to have a redundant castle, there is one quite close to the Blankenstein Castle which has some museums in it: Haus Kemnade (German only)

If you're willing to travel about 30 kq, here's one of the most seaish and most baobabish castles in reach: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altena_Castle

More redundant castles, just in case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ca ... Westphalia

The German version has more photos:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_von_ ... -Westfalen
ETA: More castle recommendations on request.

ETA2: Happy 100000000000 posts, AluisioASG! :)
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

We just saw Captain America with a stars and stripes tutu.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

OTTers are normal here

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Happy 100 posts, Marsh'n!
Cake:
Spoiler:

Thank you so much! Looks like lots to go around, and just in time for desert!
As I said to the breakfast crew, that's the first time I got to insert a... Er, okay, maybe I'd better not :azule: here.

Plans for the day include castle and possibly chocolate. We are arranging an organized Wait For It while people figure out when they are ready to meetup.

As you said to us at breakfast, it was well received.

We're pretty sure the waiter said 'molpish' to us, or it sounded a lot like it.

So many costumes (worn by people) todip! We fit in perfectly!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:27 pm UTC

Hello everymolp!

I am on my way back home by railcastle because this way it is easier for me to meet some outside obligations that I have and at the same time continue fighting the micromolpy invasion which has been bothering me.

It has been steakish, baobabish and wowterful to meet you all in Bochum!

addams, thank you for your kind words that you found for us all. Don't worry if your skills don't match ours in some respects; you more than make up for it in heart and in spirit, and as far as I am concerned you are without question a true OTTer.

ETA 2: However, I wish to take exception to one of your remarks. Maybe it is a side of my personality that I haven't displayed while talking to you, but I assure you that I can be silly too. At least I felt quite silly (and willingly so) when joining the dance to "Molpy molpy grapevine"!

Sustainabilizer: I just passed by Burg Altena earlier on my railcastle trip! And I immediately thought, "my, what a seaish and wingish castle". Pix later tonip, when I am back home on my stationary organized sand. Have some coma so that you can feel molpish again soon!

ETA: There is snow outside where the railcastle is passing through now!
Last edited by svenman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

The dip after...

It was a grand Time with all of you.
(I be heading to FFS here in less than a half nopix. Yeah, I took the two dips off for the OTTerCon, but Saturdip work was recently instated and this is my first go-round, so I thought I'd be there and not try to switch with anyone.)

The neat treeish part of posting the videos and IRC logs (and Sustainabilizer's paper) will be will be the After-Con with the After-participants and their After-when questions and comments. In other words the "live" portion was just the first part of the First OTTCon.

I could visualize several of the songs I heard last nip turned into music vids. (Esp. one duet with choir back-up.)

HUMBle moment about last nip when I was IRC waving to individuals. After I started I realized I wasn't sure who some were (micdi ) or who were still there, but off camera (svenman), and how to spel some peoples nicks (like balthasar_s). My apologizes. *Waves to ALL* again.

I can see Neil's avatar sporting that Beanie Daft Punk look I saw.

Happy 100 posts to the Con Transcriber Marsh_n. (That needs to be an official title...)

Need to be getting on with outside.

Have fun blitzing the castle, xuys.

Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mrob27

I UNBASEMENT, THEREFORE I MOLPY ABOUT

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:34 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Poor sus_organizer! He set this lovely table, and we all just stayed in the conference room. I wants to give him props for his work, though:(spoilered for seaish): ...

It seems the OTTers present wished to remain in contact with the OTTers not present, for which I am quite grateful. Or is that grapevine? There were a lot of those, so I may be a bit confuzzled.

balthasar_s wrote: We're in Germany so I'll say "Ich bin aufgemolpt".

:lol: aufgemolpt!

I'll be posting the revised text of my first bOTTeriada story later. As @balthasar mentioned, it ends a little differently. I also plan to post full stories here in the OTT and add back/forward links as @ucim does with AotC. But you can always read things sooner by checking the text-only page on Balthacarius' castraftle.

— mrob27 Image (despite tired, still feeling pretty bouncy)

IT'S ROOMMOLPIES ALL THE WAY DOWN,
EXCEPT THAT EVERY 13TH AND 14TH ONE IS AN OTTERCOMIC.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

addams wrote:My statement of gratitude.
I am not, really, an OTTer.
This is the highest heresy, and I condemn you to bathe in chocolate, partake of the burnt steak, and then relax in the comfy chair until you repent! Not only are you not "not an OTTer", you are probably one of the most OTTish otters there are. Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah! Just watching you and listening to what you had to say on the OTTcams was baobab; you thoroughly embrace and embody what it means to be an OTTer. It matters not whether you have found the thread at the eleventeenth hour, or arrived at Newpix Zero. OTTish is a state of mind; a state of being. You have it. And then you travelled something like two million giraffes to share Ong with us! (And I say "us" even though I could only be present by organized sand.)

You are most certainly one of us!

And while I am at it, there is another heresy that must be punished; not just yours, but I've heard it from many others - you know who you are. It runs along the lines of
paraphrased,quite a few OTTers wrote:all you people are so wonderfully technical, artistic, creative, whatever... and I don't really have much to offer...
Into the comfy chair with all of you!
Spoiler:
I am reminded of a story my friend (from the Navy) tells, which I will now proceed to mangle, about some project that was brought before them for support. The generals asked of what value this project was (it was something in the theoretical sciences or math(s) or something), and the answer did not satisfy the generals, who were looking for something specific to their branch of the service, since they would then have to present this to a funding agency who would ask the same questions. They pressed further, trying to get a suitable answer: "In what way will this benefit the Defense of the United States?"

The answer given was "In no way whatsoever, except perhaps to help make the United States worth defending".

This is what you folk do - you make the OTT worth defending, worth being in, worth returning to dix over dix. Whether you know it or not, you are what makes this place a warm inviting place to begin with. You are what makes it sustainable.
Marsh'n - That is a treeish "Radioactive" link! Great way to start the day! And happy hundred!

Happy Thousand ggh!

(and not far off, happy ten thousand BlitzGirl!

And now, to begin some stream ketchup! I've left the streams open so that I can go back and catch the parts I missed from the last dix. Unfortunately, I didn't (know how to) do this for the previous one, so I'll have to risk the wrath of Corinne, but it will be worth it!

This is what the first part of sustainability looks like.

Jose
Spoiler:
)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm UTC

I tried skimming the last few pages and didn't find anything... but is there a log or recording of the happenings that just happened to happen for those of us who missed it?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:I tried skimming the last few pages and didn't find anything... but is there a log or recording of the happenings that just happened to happen for those of us who missed it?

I don't think so, yet. Sustainablizer will be getting all the transcriptions of the speeches together, but I'm not sure about anything else.

As nominated & duly, officially and rather molpishly named by HES, moved and seconded by yours truly and passed in IRC yesterday: I'm here to announce that mrob27Image will be our official... *drum roll, please* ....

One True Historian!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: *waves eastern unorthodox apex bishop scepter I found laying in the basement* Image... you know, to make it official and all.
Last edited by Valarya on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:10 pm UTC

sweet! and yay mrob! (the 27th one that is, the first through 26th were rubbish, unless they weren't, I've never met them, I shouldn't be rude)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Eternal Density

We are waiting for a train...

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:39 pm UTC

Baobabs steakish flutterbee wingish wowterfall!
I ketched some of us up on my leopad and addams hugged me (as a proxy for ucim and everOTTer I'm sure.
Spoiler:
)

mrob27

A PROCLAMATION BY BLINDPOST

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:I can see Neil's avatar sporting that Beanie Daft Punk look I saw.

Oh now I understand. Yes...

I made a Q04B-themed Daft Punk OTTification, and it has been inside Q04B for quite a long time now. I'm actually a bit surprised that nobody has noticed it. Maybe I'll make it a puzzle, or maybe I'll actually get around to adding more boosts :D

Happy 100 posts to the Con Transcriber Marsh_n. (That needs to be an official title...)

One of the first things I did, on Onglessdix (for the 2nd or 3rd talk I think) is type out what was being said. Audio m*stard made it difficult, and I was on a Time-delay due to watching the stream from a distance of something like 5 Mq. Nevertheless I was told that my work had helped some of the native-German-speaking participants in the room understand what was being said.
  Think about it: the path from speaker → <VLC computery thing> → 5Mq of copper, photons and string → me, my ears and fingers → IRC → another 5Mq etc. → projector → participants in the room ended up being of higher fidelity than the obvious speaker → listener.

That, I think, is supremely molpish.

So on behalf of communicators and translators everywhere, which includes all who OTTify, I hereby make:

A Proclamation

• Whereas, Sustainability is of vital importance to the long-term survival of the planet, and of mankind; and
  • Whereas, this Sustainability takes Physical and Social forms; and
  • Whereas, said Physical Sustainability depends on energy efficiency and massive reduction in long-term carbon footprints; and
  • Whereas, said Social Sustainability depends on building and maintenance of balanced, stable and robust communities; and
  • Whereas, communities are held together by interactions, which are available in many forms of which face-to-face are widely regarded as the gold standard; and
  • Whereas, face-to-face interaction traditionally requires travel, which can have a very large carbon footprint in exchange for a scarce few days of face-to-face interaction; and
  • Whereas, modern technology, viz. the Internet, now enables face-to-face interaction of a very high quality between persons who are physically separated by great distance; and
  • Whereas, universities are at the forefront of research in all of these Sustainability objectives; and
  • Whereas, the efforts being undertaken at The Sustainable University, viz. The Bochum University of Applied Sciences in Bochum Germany, is a quintessential representative of this effort; and
  • Whereas, the OTT, or "One True Thread", has quintessentially represented both Sustainability and Community over Time and through Communication; and
  • Whereas, one OTTer, namely Marsh'n, has performed exceptionally molpish feats of transcription, paraphrasing, and occasioanlly outright translation during the recent conference Towards a Sustainable Online Community; and
  • Whereas, these efforts clearly and evidently helped many participants understand what was being communicated, in the moment, despite obstructions of unfamiliar language, organised-sand m*stard, and/or other epsilonity, ch*rpitude, and/or general steambottlishness,

Now, Therefore, as a duly-appointed (by no-one) OTTifier, Communicator/Translator, bOTTifactor, and Remote Participant of OTTercon 2015, by the authority vested in me by my office, the Retro-Paradoxical Past Chief of Grains, Grand Lodge FAAS of Newpixia, I hereby confer upon

Marsh'n

the unilaterally arbitrary and thouroughly non-standardised label of

Supremely Molpish Facilitator of Communication

Attested this 19th Dip of Community, in the First Yip A.T.

Witnessed:
  @mrob27
  Timborme
  nopixbot
  imagebot
  Morobu
  Mrorl the bOTTifactor
  any other alter-egos I may have left out,

So Molp It Be.

Witnesses, including my witnessing of my own proclamation, were served by Time-Travel, Chronotransponder, and/or Literary Device, where applicable.

— mrob27 Image (less tired, and still feeling bouncy)

(Edits: typos and a little RHTF m*stard)
Last edited by mrob27 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Sciscitor

Re: A PROCLAMATION BY BLINDPOST

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:17 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Now, Therefore,* as a duly-appointed (by no-one) OTTifier, Communicator/Translator, bOTTifactor, and Remote Participant of OTTercon 2015, by the authority vested in me by my office, the Retro-Paradoxical Past Chief of Grains, Grand Lodge FAAS of Newpixia, I hereby confer upon

Marsh'n

Seconded!
Marsh'ns feat was truly amazing. The translation reached me before the audio from the stream did.
Marsh'n must be the most quick fingered molpy of the OTT. Well, he has no arms to drag along, maybe that helps a bit. :D
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
mrob27 wrote:Now, Therefore,* as a duly-appointed (by no-one) OTTifier, Communicator/Translator, bOTTifactor, and Remote Participant of OTTercon 2015, by the authority vested in me by my office, the Retro-Paradoxical Past Chief of Grains, Grand Lodge FAAS of Newpixia, I hereby confer upon

Marsh'n

Seconded!
Thirded! (Or should I wait for Thirds?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

Motion squared !

Let it be known that from now on, Marsh'n shall be known as Marsh'n "quickfingers", Supremely Molpish Facilitator of Communication.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

pelrigg

Re: A PROCLAMATION BY BLINDPOST

Postby pelrigg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Now, Therefore, as a duly-appointed (by no-one) OTTifier, Communicator/Translator, bOTTifactor, and Remote Participant of OTTercon 2015, by the authority vested in me by my office, the Retro-Paradoxical Past Chief of Grains, Grand Lodge FAAS of Newpixia, I hereby confer upon

Marsh'n

Read And Witnessed.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0539

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU JUST SAID BECAUSE I WAS THINKUNG ABOUT HUGOS. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the pic?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

Today when going back to the hotel a man askedd me the directions for the HBF. I had trouble explaining the way to him. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my or his German. At the end he said his German is like that because he's from Poland. Two polish people trying to understand each other in German.

ETA:
pelrigg wrote:and how to spel some peoples nicks (like balthasar_s)
the spelled a little differently than I do. Or rather they accented it differently. But that's how the name is accented in German.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

mrob27

MOROBU WENT TO OTTᴇʀᴄᴏɴ, AND ALL I GOT WAS A BEESNAKE

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 pm UTC

(posttitle)

第七十八章

Morobu shakes his head blearily as the fog of the Time-vortex fades. Little sparkly bits glimmer around the edges of his field of vision, and when he turns to look they flit away like so many soot-sprites.
  Epsilon. Another anime dream? he asks himself, as he stands up and walks over towards the light. It is coming from the end of a passage between two sets of screens, leading to what is clearly a formal reception-room. He walks that way, and sees an ornate podium, then an elaborately-dressed molpy next to it. She is already speaking before Morobu manages to pay attention closely enough to catch the words.
  "... and rather molpishly named by HES, moved and seconded by yours truly and passed in IRC yesterday: I'm here to announce that Morobu will be our official..."
  Morobu reaches the room just as the drums start. One massive taiko makes Morobu jump slightly. It is a ceremonial fanfare: A fortissimo beat to wake everyone up, then a drumroll that soon diminishes, then grows again to a decelerando, forte climax. Morobu enters and instinctively bows, first to the room, then to Valarya.
  "One True Historian!!!"
  Everyone applauds in the Western style as Morobu faces Valarya, blushes a bit, and accepts his title (physically represented by a delicately-calligraphed manuscript).
  He bows again to the people in the room, recognizing several. Just as he turns back to face Valarya, the Vortex returns and all is suddenly glittery and dark.

Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:I tried skimming the last few pages and didn't find anything... but is there a log or recording of the happenings that just happened to happen for those of us who missed it?

I don't think so, yet. Sustainabilizer will be getting all the transcriptions of the speeches together, but I'm not sure about anything else.

I have:
  * complete IRC logs, with Timestamps to 1-minute accuracy. A discussion occurred in the OTT, a few Newpages ago :roll:, in which I asked OTTers to confirm that they were, in fact, on the IRC using their normal OTTer name (i.e. their xkcd forum nickname). Most have done so. It should be possible to get the rest, and ask @Sustainabilizer about the few left over who I think were students and/or faculty at the University. After that it'll just be a matter of stripping out the IP addresses and ISP hostnames and other identifying info, and I can post it in chunks here.
  * Recordings of all video streams and projector videos, from the official recordings they made at Bochum. This will require a much more significant discussion to figure out what to do. The streams were advertised here and had no password; so any lurker could have watched — but that does not imply that we can just jump right ahead and to put them in a public, permanently-accessible spot. If we do that, it becomes possible for future lurkers to come along and see/hear the videos.
  Edit to add NOTE: I believe perhaps persons were all asked if it was okay to be seen on-camera before the cameras were turned on. Such a practice is common in these situations. Those who do not, can sit out-of-frame and the camera is not panned during the presentation. Then the camera is turned off and those persons are told it is safe to get up, move around, and check out the redundakitty. If so, then clearly it gets a lot simpler.
  * Recordings of the audio and one camera view during the final "party" session. Same issues as previous bullet-point.

jovialbard wrote:sweet! and yay mrob! (the 27th one that is, the first through 26th were rubbish, unless they weren't, I've never met them, I shouldn't be rude)

They're kind of recursive. It's like "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back"; for background you can see the acceptance of my hat from NP1491 which explains why I love my hat and why the hat is recursive. (@ChronosDragon is quite a perceptive molpizard). It's mrobs all the way down, except that every 27th one is a little mroblier than the rest.

ucim wrote:Thirded! (Or should I wait for Thirds?)

Thirds went to the Fourth pub for a Fifth.

— mrob27 Image

(Edit: Add note about camera privacy protocol)

pelrigg

Re: MOROBU WENT TO OTTᴇʀᴄᴏɴ, AND ALL I GOT WAS A BEESNAKE

Postby pelrigg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I have:
  * complete IRC logs, with Timestamps to 1-minute accuracy. A discussion occurred in the OTT, a few Newpages ago :roll:, in which I asked OTTers to confirm that they were, in fact, on the IRC using their normal OTTer name (i.e. their xkcd forum nickname). Most have done so. It should be possible to get the rest, and ask @Sustainabilizer about the few left over who I think were students and/or faculty at the University. After that it'll just be a matter of stripping out the IP addresses and ISP hostnames and other identifying info, and I can post it in chunks here.
  * Recordings of all video streams and projector videos, from the official recordings they made at Bochum. This will require a much more significant discussion to figure out what to do. The streams were advertised here and had no password; so any lurker could have watched — but that does not imply that we can just jump right ahead and to put them in a public, permanently-accessible spot. If we do that, it becomes possible for future lurkers to come along and see/hear the videos.
  Edit to add NOTE: I believe perhaps persons were all asked if it was okay to be seen on-camera before the cameras were turned on. Such a practice is common in these situations. Those who do not, can sit out-of-frame and the camera is not panned during the presentation. Then the camera is turned off and those persons are told it is safe to get up, move around, and check out the redundakitty. If so, then clearly it gets a lot simpler.
  * Recordings of the audio and one camera view during the final "party" session. Same issues as previous bullet-point.

(Edit: Add note about camera privacy protocol)

To Bullet Point (1); That was me being the somewhat annoying chap going by the nick "pelrigg" on IRC.
To Bullet Point (3); When I mentioned "music video" earlier; I was thinking someone (who has the video/audio) might use just the audio as soundtrack to <wild-imagination> video. Not that this is an un-subtle hint or anything...

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:20 pm UTC

There is someone upthread who is new, that I wanted to welcome, but the post had slipped from my grasp and I can't find nor recall the name. Memory is
Spoiler:
...the second thing to go.
Welcome to the One True Thread - make yourself at home! We look forward to hearing from you again (and again...).

mrob27 wrote:Thirds went to the Fourth pub for a Fifth.
What's that buzzing sound I hear in the distance?

mrob27 wrote:I have...Recordings of all video streams and projector videos, from the official recordings they made at Bochum. This will require a much more significant discussion to figure out what to do. The streams were advertised here and had no password; so any lurker could have watched — but that does not imply that we can just jump right ahead and to put them in a public, permanently-accessible spot. If we do that, it becomes possible for future lurkers to come along and see/hear the videos.
This is a serious question, and could easily be the crux of a sustainable online community presentation too.
  • If we restrict the recordings, we risk creating a "privileged class" of OTTers, which could make future OTTish people actually less welcome; that would be steambottle.
  • If we make them available to the public, we risk inhibiting future gatherongs from sharing Ong with the larger OTTish community, that would be steambottle too.
  • If we make a password protected site for these recordings, and give "true OTTers" passwords to the site, somebody has to determine who's a "true OTTer" and who isn't. That is also steambottle.
    Spoiler:
    And not only that, some people who don't consider themselves OTTers are actually very much OTTers; for all the irony one was even at the gatherong itself!
It's a version of the "you don't know who is coming into the room next" issue that crops up in every sustainable group.

My personal feeling (and situation) is that there are no individuals who would do me harm by seeing my picture online, and nobody who would judge me by these words and images is likely to come across them. I suppose some time in the future, were I to apply for a position in the {something important}, then {somebody influential} could dig it up and say "what a doofus" and select {somebody else} instead. But that's a risk of doing anything in public.

What I fear more is the systematic mechanical profiling of people that linked computers are doing, because these same linked computers use this information to shape the world I'm permitted to interact in, to the benefit of their masters rather than me. Facebook, twitter, google, klout, and every credit card in existence have made a start; it will only continue. But I suspect these videos and chat logs are not low hanging fruit.

I would favor making links to them available on-thread, and hope the participants would agree. This would make it most likely that non-OTTers would not run into them, but OTTers would be welcome to view and enjoy another aspect of the wowterful world we've created here, and perhaps be inspired to do treeishier things themselves.

Jose

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:24 pm UTC

Can't remember if I confirmed this before, so to be on the safe side : On IRC, starting on 2015-02-12 10:00 (or maybe a bit later till I figured out how to log in), and to this day (2015-02-14), I went as 'karhell' or variants thereof, save for the few millinewpix where I went as 'Aelfwyn' to test the name changing protocol.

EDIT : I agree entirely with Jose

EDIT2 : As a good scatterbrain, I completely forgot to say I don't mind whatever I might have written on IRC to be published to the OTT...
Last edited by karhell on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:37 pm UTC

By now (several nopix ago, actually) I have safely arrived home. I have promised a pic of a seaish real castle (spoilered for seaishness):
Spoiler:

Burg Altena, Altena (Westfalen), Germany, photographed through railcastle window

I don't mind any recordings or transcripts of my participation in the OTTer conference/meetup being available onine. I only have the request that for personal reasons my outside last name should please not appear in text form in the OTT or other OTT-related publicly available documents (exception granted for the eventually to appear conference proceedings, if mere visitors who did not hold a talk are even noted there at all).

Spoilered for redundancy:
Spoiler:
P1030863R1024u75.jpg
Burg Altena, Germany
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

ucim, as you have so often in the past, have put my vague feelings into concise words.

Might we "Wait For It" and let the participants get back home and let them have Time weigh in? Besides, this might have been something they've discussed in person and have some info we don't know yet.

But, I do like the idea that posting links here would give the right balance of OTT-public vs. OTT-private. (even if videos go up on YouTube; both yappo and balthasar_s have posted vids that are labeled as private. Which, I guess means, they don't show up under regular indexing there.) @

ETA
Good to hear you made it home svenman.
And thanks for the castle-pic too. Maybe you couldn't visit one with the rest of the gang, but you got to see one. (Of course, you are probably used to them, seeing how their practically underfoot over there.
ETA
Spoiler:
)

Glad you made it to the OTTerCon.

@ that sentence made sense when I started it. I'm going quit while I'm ahead.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:46 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:@ that sentence made sense when I started it. I'm going quit while I'm ahead.

That sentence makes perfect sense, no need to quit ^^

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:48 pm UTC

I can confirm that I appeared as Sciscitor (and one time because of network mustard as Scitor) on IRC. I only request to have login information stripped, should the logs be made public to a broader audience.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Today when going back to the hotel a man askedd me the directions for the HBF. I had trouble explaining the way to him. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my or his German. At the end he said his German is like that because he's from Poland. Two polish people trying to understand each other in German.

Hah!! It's a small world. Did you guys end up finishing the discussion in your native language?

svenman wrote:By now (several nopix ago, actually) I have safely arrived home. I have promised a pic of a seaish real castle (spoilered for seaishness):
Spoiler:

Burg Altena, Altena (Westfalen), Germany, photographed through railcastle window

That castle is totally seaish! Was the hill devoid of raptorcats? I hope so.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0671

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER NINJAONG ANYTHING AGAIN. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Today when going back to the hotel a man askedd me the directions for the HBF. I had trouble explaining the way to him. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my or his German. At the end he said his German is like that because he's from Poland. Two polish people trying to understand each other in German.

So did you end up re-giving the directions in polish? Or at least have a laugh about it (in polish, of course)?

ETA

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.... ninja'd by Valarya!

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

Semi-blind-post:
I herewith confirm that the “Sustainabilizer” in the IRC is me.
I don't object against the publication of my (riverish) contributions to the IRC.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Hah!! It's a small world. Did you guys end up finishing the discussion in your native language?
He had to get to the station as soon as possible.
pellrigg wrote:So did you end up re-giving the directions in polish? Or at least have a laugh about it (in polish, of course)?
no, directions were already given. yes, laugh.
BSTA

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”