1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:51 am UTC

Such a cute little hand for Mr. Nimoy.
It remains a fun game to play on The Train.

From a distance, over the noise;
We can play a quiet game with our hands.

Open your thumb.
Put it back.

Open your thumb and forefinger.
Put it back.

Open you longest finger and forefinger and thumb.
Put them back.

For people that were far away or dead (not born, yet) in the 1960's here is an article from the New York Times.
The article explains a little about Who Mr. Nimoy was as a person and the Character he helped create.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/ ... .html?_r=0
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0619

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:00 am UTC

HOTDOGGUNG IS A BEANIE -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the author of these ONGs?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:11 am UTC

the mrONGbdex story continues.

Code: Select all

"Quiet," interrupted Mrorl, and lowered to a whisper. "I think I hear something coming."
  The bOTTifactors peeked back over the top edge of the stairs they had just descended, and saw a familiar black shape. A raptorcat!
  "RUN!" shouted Balthacarius, and they both clambered back up to the first level and rushed towards the entrance. The raptorcat, startled by the unfamilarity of being charged by metal prey, darted into the shadows as the bOTTifactors rushed up the first set of steps, through the little wine-house and back out into the open. Slowing to a nervous crawl, they hoped to avoid the great bot's gaze. It appeared to think they were behind a boulder to the left. They crept along as quietly as they could and then, "*Now!``RUN!*" yelled Mrorl as the Cognitative Engine turned its head and spotted them.
  Breathless, they ran along a narrow road that paralleled the ridge, then turned at the first opportunity to head up towards the higher craggy hills beyond. On the plateau at the crest of this last steep slope lay Tencir, proud capitol of the mighty realm of [Tencrivar|#p3398650] and southern guardian of the great Causeway to the Northern Highlands.
  They raced uphill, stumbling and waving their arms to keep balance, as the Engine was again getting closer. They scrambled up piles of loose stones, sending many flying down the slope, and Balthacarius even started a small avalanche that nevertheless did nothing to slow the progress of the massive and angry robot. Emerging finally onto the plateau, Mrorl and Balthacarius ran flat-out towards the walled city of Tencir. This they found shuttered, its gates barred against the rampaging colossus, after its stampede dust cloud had apparently been spotted by the Tencrivarna guards atop their lookout-towers.
  So Mrorl and Balthacarius had no choice but to skirt the city walls, passing just to the right of them and seeking some shelter in the great Rock^{2} on which that city was built, adjoining the vast ridge of the Causeway itself. Soon they found an entrance to a cave, perhaps cut into the rock by some ancient monastic order, and leapt inside. They ran a few steps in, and stopped.
  "Well, here at least we're safe," said Mrorl, calm once again. "The mouth of this cave is too small for the machine to enter, and it can only reach about that far. I suppose it will be waiting outside for us, but we can at least get some rest." Soon, the lumbering steps of the Cognitative Engine could be heard, slowing to a pace as it got closer. In a moment the light dimmed as the mouth of the cave was covered by a wall of riveted steel: it had turned and was sitting down against the sloping rock-face, sealing the mouth of the cave with its vast back.
  "We're trapped," whispered Mrorl, with a miserable frown to Balthacarius as the darkness grew deeper. "I'll look for another way out." Mrorl blinked the diodes behind his eyes to light the way, and walked further into the cave. Soon he found a small ledge down, at the edge of a subterranean lake. The cave was completely blocked by this -- any escape this way would require swimming under water. Mrorl returned to his friend to report his findings.
  "Well, this dip certainly turned out well!" exclaimed Balthacarius sarcastically. "Whatever possessed me to come pay you a visit today?"
  There was an awkward pause. "What do you think it's waiting for now?" asked Mrorl.
  "For us -- really for *you* -- to give up. That seems pretty clear."
  Again there was silence. Mrorl tiptoed over to the cave entrance, reaching out to feel the metal back of his creation, warmed by steam boilers and an intense passion for vindication.
  "I feel Mrorl..." rumbled the great metal voice. Mrorl jumped back, returned to sit next to Balthacarius, and for some Time they kept silent and motionless.
   "It's a shame I didn't program it to tend sheep," quipped Mrorl. His friend gave a quizzical look. "... or goats. Because then we could -- oh, never mind. I'll explain later." Another long silence, then at last Balthacarius whispered:
  "We can't sit here forever. Why don't I try to reason with it... if that's possible... I do think the OTTish have some kind of reason."

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

mrob27

COLPIX, COLPIX COLPIX COLPIX, COLPIX COLPIX.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 am UTC

I re-ONG'd one of the recent bOTTeriada lines, replacing the misspelled word "capitol" with "capital", so it reads ... Tencir, proud capital of the mighty realm of Tencrivar ....
  Any other m*stard corrections will be incorporated into the full version of the Mrorl's Machine story once it is complete, which I'll post here in the OTT.

In the 1492 OtherThread,
Eternal Density wrote:Oh great, tumblr is leaking.

IMHO goats are more important for the midgame but you probable don't want them clogging up the early game. I have 9 goats so far, because even with the always change doors strategy you sometimes lose. I need to win a few more times before I can afford to get Ninja League and VITSSÅGEN JA. Actually I'm surprised at my current winning streak, as I haven't had to savescum yet. Thanks Monty!

Best comment in the OtherComic-1492 thread. Though not quite as hilarious as "SPREAD THIS UNTIL IT REACHES NASA WE MUST FIND ANSWERS" on the tumblr... or the daleks... but I had fun ENHANCE!ing things :)

I have sent out a couple PMs asking for help double-checking the IRC logs for things that should be kept private (like someone mentioning where someone else was sitting) in order to follow the guideline of making sure people can't be matched up easily with any images. Also, @Sustainabilizer and I are discussing how to proceed on the Proceedings.

A while ago I had reported 8979488 views and 89795 posts, which is (9000000-20512)/(90000-205), and 20512/205 is about 100.1. Earlier, @Neil_Boekend reported 11071/155 ~ 71.4, then 10478/146 ~ 71.8. I checked again a while ago, and it was 8992256/89878, which gives 7744/122, about 63.5. Now we have 8992859/89882, or 7141/118 ~ 60.5. So, yeah, probably not gonna happen.

— mrob27 Image

WHAT IF YOU WAITED FOR KETCHUP ON A TREBUCHAT?
COULD THIS BE A RIVERISH CUPCAKE,
OR WOULD IT BE AS HILLISH AS IT SOUNDS?
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:23 am UTC

The Outside has been rather unmolpish and although I have neither been in the basement nor having a seaish coma (indeed I ketchup daily), I have not posted for many many dips. Part of the problem was that I had plans to celebrate my very first (non-trivial, base-10) RNM and I have been sitting on 99 waiting for a spare nopix or two to do something special for the occasion. However, the OTT continues apace and there have been many awesomeful things to which I have wanted to respond (not that I can remember them all, now) and so I need to get the RNM out of the way. It has been delayed for too long, and continuing Outside m*st*rd means it is reduced in ambition (ha! Now you'll all wonder what totally sea-ish idea I'd had ... but, in fact, I hadn't really had it!), but -- finally -- here is a riverish contribution, a commemorative OTTification of frame 37, from the innocent early dips.

I thank Marsh'n for the baobish celebratory cake xe offered in anticipation (and also for some kind exchanges during the conference).

I enjoyed what little of the conference I was able to see; but even though I couldn't participate very much it was wowterful to know that it happened at all. As conveyed to mrob27, I was on the IRC and am happy for my few contributions to be included in the public record.

I was going to write lots more but the Outside calls again. I love the OTT. It is a truly remarkable place. Thank you for making it so, with your creativity and warmth and humour.

RSIR

Spoiler:

xkcdPricklyMolpSayingHi.jpg

xkcdTimeFrame37.jpg

xkcdPricklyMolpShuttingDown.jpg

Oh, and I tried to come up with a clever way of unobtrusively including the word "penis" but I couldn't think of one.

\||//

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:15 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:here is a riverish contribution, a commemorative OTTification of frame 37, from the innocent early dips.

Oh, and I tried to come up with a clever way of unobtrusively including the word "penis" but I couldn't think of one.

\||//
Congrats! What's your OTTification made of? Looks like string. Neat!

I don't know what the ASCII at the bottom is. A penis? Anyways, nice peniscastle. ;) A nub, if you will. (I used to call newbies "nubs", FYI. It wasn't a euphemism, though.)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:18 am UTC

azule wrote:
DrSamCarter wrote:\||//
Congrats! What's your OTTification made of? Looks like string. Neat!

I don't know what the ASCII at the bottom is.

Yes, the OTTification is, indeed, made of string. It doesn't bend as precisely nor as rigidly as I would have liked, however (which is why the sandcastle is not crenelated), but I don't think the wire I'd contemplated as an alternative would have worked particularly well either (but for different reasons). Anyway, I now have portable versions of our intrepid pair, Megan and Cueball, for possible future OTTifications.

The ASCII is a tribute to Leonard Nimoy/Spock.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0698

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:00 am UTC

STARRYONG. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH OLDPIX. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

Sustainabilizer

Re: COLPIX, COLPIX COLPIX COLPIX, COLPIX COLPIX.

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:09 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:A while ago I had reported 8979488 views and 89795 posts, which is (9000000-20512)/(90000-205), and 20512/205 is about 100.1. Earlier, @Neil_Boekend reported 11071/155 ~ 71.4, then 10478/146 ~ 71.8. I checked again a while ago, and it was 8992256/89878, which gives 7744/122, about 63.5. Now we have 8992859/89882, or 7141/118 ~ 60.5.

Indeed. Within the last few newpix the difference “posts - views / 100” went up from 60 to 70.

mrob27 wrote:So, yeah, probably not gonna happen.

Yeah.

In some sense this is good news: There are more than 100 views per post. This means that the posts are actually read. They are interesting.

(Anyway, it's just a play with numbers. Let's molpy back to the important questions of this thread such as the still undetected molpy in BFTF, the conference proceedings, etc.)

((Anyway², I'm still applying the “reload the index page to look for new posts, and minimise the reloading of the OTT” rule, just in case. ;)))
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Eternal Density

Totally related

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 pm UTC

addams, the salad I ate with my lunch today, contained pine nuts, which we discussed... wow it was two wips ago! Time is raptorish! And the pine nuts were as molpish as ever :D

Conga-rats, DrSamCarter!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 pm UTC

Welcome back DrSamCarter, even though you had merely turned temporarily invisible rather than disappear(ed) into the basement. Hmmm... should that be "disappeared" or "disappear"? Or should I use "had disappeared"? Or should I abandon the entire sentence as if it were a brainslug and start again? Or maybe I should just curl back up and go to bed.

Yeah, that sounds like the right idea. After I post.

Steakish otty; I like the 3D stuff, especially yours, made of 1D stuff. And you can carry it in your pocket and have any frame of Time any time you want.

I did the same once; I put a bunch of pixels in my pocket. They fell out though.

I found it interesting that the Vulcan salute came from a Jewish service. I thought it was just made up, but it's nice that it has an actual human connection.

Live long, prosper, and wait for it.

eta: pignolia nuts FTW! (I'm not at a RNP so can't ask if you went pignolia hunting.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:Image

The Outside has been rather unmolpish...

Outside does get that way. I like your molpies and redundamolpies though. And also your RNM commemoration.

And other stuff, which the micromolpies appear to have stolen. Along with my morning cup of coffee. Turns out when you push the button the coffee comes out, even when you haven't placed a cup underneath. Steambottle!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0621

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:47 pm UTC

[Posted from the Mirror at Sat Feb 28, 2015 01:00 PM GMT]
WHAT IF A CHUPAMOLPY BLITZED WITH AWESOMEFULNESS TO JUST A FEW PAGEPOPES USUNG CENTIMOLPIES LIKE A SANDISH TURTLEMOLPY? WOULD THAT ENHANCE THE NEED FOR AN OTTERRIFIC POPE? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the warning call?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

Hi from the moon base!
I fixed some ethernet cables, so hopefully 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info will not be mustarded anymore.

If mustard comes back, I'll be here again in 3 days.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Sustainabilizer

Re: IN B4 ENDISH OLDPICES

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:17 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Here is a little tiny one for SilentBotTimer:
look real close, it's animated!

Treeish! :) (FTFY.)
Here's one for SilentBot:

mrob27 wrote:I spent about 2 nopix editing this manually, which is what I needed to get over my steambottlish troll-directed freudenschade or whatever the ch*rp it was.

[Etymology-Man]
The form of „Freudenschade“ suggests that it's a German noun (thus the capitalisation), composed of „Freude“ and „Schade“, with the meaning of “Schade with a Freude aspect”.

Since „Freude“ means “joy”, „Freudenschade“ is a „Schade“ you can rejoice about.

However, there's noETA German noun „Schade“, just an interjection „schade!“ (“bummer!”) and the noun „Schaden“ (“damage”).

If you stretch German grammar a little, „Freudenschade“ can mean a disappointment you rejoice about. So it might be a blessing in the Western Paradox Church.

Spoiler:
OTOH, there's a compound noun „Schadenfreude“ in German which means the joy („Freude”) you have from the damage („Schaden“) of someone else. But that's something we don't want to have here. (That's why I put it in a spoiler. Hopefully it won't escape.)
ETA: In fact there is – or was at least: „Schade“ is an archaic term for „Schaden“.
So if an Old One says „Freudenschade”, xe means “damage of joy” (whatever that means).
[/Etymology-Man]

Redundant:
silentbot-smiley.gif
silentbot-smiley.gif (533 Bytes) Viewed 10621 times
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

addams

Re: Totally related

Postby addams » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:addams, the salad I ate with my lunch today, contained pine nuts, which we discussed... wow it was two wips ago! Time is raptorish! And the pine nuts were as molpish as ever :D

Congra-rats, DrSamCarter!

Pine Nuts!
Where do those things Come From??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut
Maybe, not all Pine Nut Cones are created equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_lambertiana
The cones were easy to find.

I love Wikipedia.
Explain this My Way and the TEA Baggers Scream, "I'm Not Paying Some Hippie to Measure Trees! Cut Them All Down!"
Spoiler:
How do I explain it?
That Job is a heck of a lot easier, today.

Scientists Still get to do it.
They fill out the Required Paperwork and 'They' are allowed to go Look At A Tree.
Fill out the PaperWork and they'll give you a fucking Map!

(ech) Maybe it was a more Innocent Time.
There were some Forests Kept Under Lock and Key.

Because we were Loving it To Death.
It was a Ton of Fun!

The Locals went There.
The Tourists went There.

It had some Special Trees and Some Social Experiments Running the last Time I was there.
Spoiler:
The Social Experiments on The Roosevelt Elk. I was allowed to participate.

People on Foot are at High Risk from Elk Attack in The Fall.
I was not allowed to take my Dogs. I had two other Humans.

I'm Not a Very Good Navigator.
When I get in the Big Trees, they all sort of Look alike;

Like People.

I can tell a Pine from a RedWood.
But; Not well enough to argue about it.
Spoiler:
The sugar pine is the largest species of pine, commonly growing to 40–60 meters (130–200 ft) tall, exceptionally up to 82 m (269 ft) tall, with a trunk diameter of 1.5-2.5 m (5–8 ft), exceptionally 3.5 m (11 ft). Tallest ever recorded was "Yosemite Giant", an 82.05 m (269.2 ft) tall specimen in Yosemite National Park, which died from bark beetle attack in 2007. Tallest known living specimens today grow in southern Oregon and Yosemite National Park; one in Umpqua National Forest is 77.7 m (255 ft), and another in Siskiyou National Forest is 77.2 m (253.5 ft). Yosemite National Park has a sugar pine measured to 80.5 m (264.1 ft) as of June 2013. The tree was affected by the Rim Fire, but it survived.

There was a funnier one.
That's weird.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulter_pine
Spoiler:
The outstanding characteristic of this tree is the large, spiny cones which are 20–40 cm (8–16 in) long, and weigh 2–5 kg (4-10 lbs) when fresh. Coulter pines produce the largest cones of any pine tree species (people are actually advised to wear hardhats when working in Coulter pine groves), although the slender cones of the sugar pine are longer. The large size of the cones has earned them the nickname "widow makers" among locals.

Sometimes; The Trees Fight Back.
(amber alert- More at 5pm, 4pm, 3pm, Now!)

The Forests are Out To Get You.

!Don't Go Out InTo The Woods, alone at Night!
!Don't Go Out InTo The Woods, alone by Day!

More on the 5 O'Clock News.
Tourist vs Trees: Millions to well...?The Trees Get a handful every year.
Slow and Steady is their motto.
Spoiler:
I'm an Idiot. I had heard people talk about Falling Fruit.
I was so surprised when it happened to me.

How I broke security and Why and ended up walking through a natural wild CoCoNut Grove....(different story.)

I was Not Quite Lost.
I was working on it.

When the wind came up and the Nuts started falling all around me like Stones.

Those fucking things can Kill a Man.
I was deep in Enemy Territory.

I was surrounded by Trees.
I did what I alway do.

I dropped my head, tried to keep my breathing steady as I turned around and retraced my steps Out of There.

A few landed Too Close for comfort.
I think I stopped and Yelled at The Trees.

"What?? Are you guys Aiming At Me??"
"Where the Hell did that wind come from?"

When I got out of The Trees and Looked Back,
They were Dancing. There were Tall Ones.

The Nuts make a satifing Thud sound.
-From a Distance!-

What an Idiot.
I was walking into a Jungle.

Nah. I had No Idea.
I only had a vague idea what Tropical might be Like.

I should be grateful to that wind.

If the wind had not come up,
I may have walked Miles before Questioning the Wisdom of My Actions.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0622

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

MOLPOSSUM **DING DUNGEON ... DOT CHIRPING MUSTARD DOT COM. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… Megan's call?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

balthasar_s

Re: IN B4 ENDISH OLDPICES

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:

(Actually, I wanted to make Image hold the SilentBot, but even this didn't help me.)

Redundant
Spoiler:
sbmeg.gif
sbmeg.gif (7.66 KiB) Viewed 10454 times
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:14 pm UTC

Maybe we should read from the mirror, and post from the thread.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0699

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

BRACE YOURSELF, VATICAN MILLINER'S PERFECT CUSTOMER IS COMONG -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

Wohoo two yip foraversity!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Wohoo two yip foraversity!

Sometimes, it's the Little Things.
Two Years is Not a Little Thing!

well...Maybe, it is, to you.
Do your people perceive Time in a way that is Foreign to Outsiders?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mrob27

OH HAI, I ENHANCED YOUR FLUTTERBEE

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

Thank you @Sustainabilizer for clarity on the non-word Freudenschade. I was trying to guess what it meant. I know I don't have joy in another person suffering. It was only me who suffered, and only a little bit, and only in an abstract theoretical sense. But I had some joy in the fact that I avoided being distracted by a sort of trolling-type activity, but displeasure at the fact that I even have to consider the fact that we got trolled, or our non-privacy taunted, or whatever it is that happened. So I guess it's joy-over-self-nonsuffering. Whatever that is. Probably just plain old "smugness" :roll:

Sustainabilizer wrote:
mrob27 wrote: Here is a little tiny one for SilentBotTimer: / Image / look real close, it's animated!

Treeish! :) (FTFY.)

But I don't think you FTFM (fixed that for me), you sort of BTFM (broke that for me) :wink:
  You see, @SilentTimer alreay has a perfectly functional Silent Timer, the physical device that @balthasar_s constructed, and it is scaled appropriately to @SilentTimer (assuming that @SilentTimer is of roughly human adult size).
  The tiny clock I made is intended for use by SilentBot, who is a little bot that @balthasar_s made out of a single digit 7-segment LED display module and some resistors etc., and which you saw in person. Since SilentBot is much smaller than @SilentTimer, it needs a smaller version of the clock.
Here's one for SilentBot: / Image / look real close, it's animated!

That's really treeish! (Though again, I would have said "here's a GIF smiley OF SilentBot", or maybe "Here's a smaller SilentBot so that SilentBot can have its own SilentBot" ...) But let's not be picky. More bots is always a good thing!

Treeish tree stories, @addams!

ucim wrote:Maybe we should read from the mirror, and post from the thread.

That would help, but...
  Here are two more data points for the countdown to Проект Более 9000000 : This mornip the numbers were 8996779/89893, and the remaining ratio was 3221/107 ~ 30.1 ; when I began my ketchup I got 8998822/89898 and 1178/102 ~ 11.5; and now it's 8999002/89900 and 998/100 ~ 10.0. Trying to force it now would be pretty e**ish. The negative attention it would attract is not worth it.

I think what is being said here is that two yips ago, @Neil_Boekend registered for the xkcd fora. The OTT, of course, hasn't been around quite that long.

— mrob27 Image

HOW OTCOLOREDLY WOULD I HAVE TO GO CAVE
FOR MY SKYCIRCLE TO WAIT THE WAY AN S&M ONGS WHILE BLITZNAPPING?
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:54 pm UTC

We're still in Advent. We'll have to wait for it. But cake to you for joining up two yips ago!

Love the animated SilentboT Sustainabilizer!

We were at the following:

Not perfect, but a roundish number and a round remaining ratio.

RSIR
Spoiler:
time89900.jpg

Jose

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Huh, work-in-progress?

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:04 am UTC

When the second mirror comes
to disturb the alignment of my nameservers
showing me that as the song goes
you can give names to numbers like hats to timewaiters

Spoiler:

I won't say I ain't surprised
on how easy this was to configure and make work
But now I have to make sure
that this leviathan will float
for as long as we need a redundant copy of our main home
and then even beyond our own lawn

I just wanted another boat
to keep us afloat and hold our home
As we ride this outer sea we go further, we go on

I won't say I ain't surprised
on how easy this was to configure and make work
But now I have to make sure
that this leviathan will float

And this leviathan will float

And we go on…

The name of the original is “The Second Sun”. Thanks but no, thanks.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:40 am UTC

Treeish otty, and treeish underlying mirrorwork Aluisio! It's touching to watch our fleet grow, and see how much these ships mean to us.

Jose

Eternal Density

I lorping ch*ve Spoonerisms!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:38 am UTC

I bit late (it **ded 2 np ago) but for the past wip, Audible had a sale on their 100 most wishlisted audiobooks. This included What-If by GLR. Naturally.

Google tells me fraudenshade is sorrow at another's joy, and has been used in various places, despite not quite being a real German word, just a Spoonerism of one by English-speakers.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:12 am UTC

It's over 9000000:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Over9000000.png

Keywords: BGUM view OTT nine million 9000000 over views meta
redundant263.png
redundant263.png (138.17 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
(Sorry I haven't been around past couple of dips, came down with a bad case of the micromolps, probably from all my traveling.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:48 am UTC

Sorry, I think that might have been me.

Also I lied. I had to rebuild lighttpd to include mod-mimemagic so the extension-less attachments worked. Also, somehow wget started to suffer buffer overflows as of some time ago (not in this run yet).
Selecting new quote…

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0625

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 am UTC

SO LUNG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE LAPLEOPARDS -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the species?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

addams

Re: I lorping ch*ve Spoonerisms!

Postby addams » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I bit late (it **ded 2 np ago) but for the past wip, Audible had a sale on their 100 most wishlisted audiobooks. This included What-If by GLR. Naturally.

Google tells me fraudenshade is sorrow at another's joy, and has been used in various places, despite not quite being a real German word, just a Spoonerism of one by English-speakers.

Gee. I thought it was The Opposite.
"Joy at the Misfortune of Others."

Either way;
It is Not your way.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Eternal Density

Re: I lorping ch*ve Spoonerisms!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 am UTC

addams wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I bit late (it **ded 2 np ago) but for the past wip, Audible had a sale on their 100 most wishlisted audiobooks. This included What-If by GLR. Naturally.

Gee. I thought it was The Opposite.
"Joy at the Misfortune of Others."

Either way;
It is Not your way.
No that's schadenfraude, see?
But yes, they aren't our way.

balthasar_s

Also, I changed my password to post this.

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:07 am UTC

[Posted from the Mirror at Sun Mar 01, 2015 09:06 AM GMT]
Good to see a new copy of the mirror.

If you see this post it means that We can post from there!

But,
  • /ott/view always shows first newpage
  • attachments and external images give a 404. Avatars don't.
  • No css.

Boom de yada, boom de yada!
BSTA

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 am UTC

Ketched up after quite a bit of travelling during the last wip.

Marsh'n, treeish OTThercomic, and a molpish licence plate, too.
And another OTThercomic4 by adnapemit!

balthasar_s wrote:Do you now why I chose the post time to be 6:11?

My guess is that 06:11 is 1190 rotated by 180°. And thanks for sharing your SilentTimerActionFigureBuildingPicturesOnIce7.

karhell, in the title, wrote:Ar stêr zo bihan. Ar mor zo vras.

That looks Breton to me, but what does it mean?

Sciscitor wrote:Just want to log in because I think others here will share my sentiment:
Goodbye, Mr. Spock! Your garden had many perfect moments to share.

I'm wearing my Spock shirt right now. Image

Happy 100 posts, DrSamCarter!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:My guess is that 06:11 is 1190 rotated by 180°

Yes, you can see it here, at 0:10.
BSTA

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:10 am UTC

I don't remember seeing a link to this wip's new What-If during my ketchup.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1866

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:00 am UTC

SHELTERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WHAT ARE OTTERCOMICS? WE JUST DON'T KNOW.

-- posted by randompixbot

lmjb1964

bftf-0700

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:00 am UTC

SUP RANDOMPIKSBOT, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK MEMEIFYONG, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR SPARROW-RAPTOR. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:37 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
  • /ott/view always shows first newpage
  • No css.

I'm just following the instructions. Didn't customize the pages yet; waiting for the bots to finish ketchup.

balthasar_s wrote:attachments and external images give a 404. Avatars don't.

It surely downloaded some of them.

Also, I'm literally stuck at Nevermind, it unstucked.

Code: Select all

ottmirror@leviathan:~/www/cgi$ ./bot2 -i0 -o1 -m500 -p1 -w1 -v1 -d -a -b -t

Sun Mar  1 12:31:06 2015
ID=0, offset=1, start=996, max=500, NP wait=1s, A wait=1s, present=NO -1, save_avatars=YES, save_attachments=YES, save_otherimg=YES
0: np996 download OK, prepare.....OK, upload OK.
1: np997 download OK, prepare....
failed to download http://www.apcleveland.com/community/Smileys/default/welcomeback.gif

(BTW I don't know if I can move the bots elsewhere so is there a way to prevent them from being called through CGI?)
Selecting new quote…

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

I think someone waits to be pope...

AluisioASG wrote:(BTW I don't know if I can move the bots elsewhere so is there a way to prevent them from being called through CGI?)
The only case when a bot is called from cgi is /ott/update (which calls bot2). I put all the mirror software in a directory that's normally inaccessible from the http server. And I set up some CGI aliasses for the programs that need it. except for /ott/update, bot2 and bot3 are not called by other pieces of software so they can be somewhere else.
BSTA

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”