The Forum Games Discussion Thread - Farming RPG Coming Soon

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: The Forum Games Discussion Thread & Involved Games List

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

thecamoninja wrote:I'm not too interested in the complexities of simulating sports

But surely you can think of a mode that would be fun to play? I'd be willing to mod it. It doesn't need to be complex, if you have in mind a card or board game of the genre that you like it can be it. So far I've just been trying to reinvent the wheel.

thecamoninja wrote:I'll probably set up a new rumble thread pretty soon. Anyone have any suggestions for flavor or gimmicks?

Um... Alien Rumble? Say, some rich organization has decided to figure out which alien race is the best of them all, for this purpose they have ran several tournaments eliminating the very best of the best species, and what is left is the cream of the crop, the top aliens, and so the winner of the game will run supreme as the strongest member of the strongest species of alien in the universe.

Or something.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

So I got a nice idea for a game, but it requires a standard moderator (me) for which I don't think I have the time. Maybe you guys can give me ideas how to reduce modding time.

In the game, people control a tribe of humans in a stone age setting. However, the people of each tribe have some (small or big) properties that make them different from humans (for example, in one tribe all people have one arm and they never get cold, in the other they are all allergic to fish but can breathe underwater). You don't know the properties of your own tribe, but you do know one property of each of the other tribes. As you progress through time (by doing stone age stuff like gathering food and exploring and developing technologies and culture later), you might be able to find out some of your tribe's properties. For example, if someone from the tribe with one arm tries to use bow and arrow, they will fail (but they won't be told why). But to be sure about your tribe you will have to visit the other player's tribes and talk to that player, which I make challenging by putting obstacles between tribes and whatnot. You can only communicate with other players when your tribes can communicate with each other in the game.

Besides this, there could be some things that also make the game world different from the real world, or that explain why the people have these properties, etc. So there are many secrets in the game, but some of the secrets are known by other players. Any ideas about the game and how to make it easier to mod?

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:52 am UTC

Okay! New rumble thread is up here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110928

The flavor is a battle of the bands style rumble, and I added the twist of global effects which players submit during set up and vote for during bidding. I'm excited to see how it turns out :D
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:37 pm UTC

For the moderated games list, would Roll to Dodge count as a moderated game? I technically mod it, but there are no sign-ups. Should I add it or not?
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:56 pm UTC

Yes, it does.

I have added it to the OP.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:27 am UTC

OK, I know last one didn't get very far, but I'd still love another Create a Country game. Maybe not the tribe idea, but medieval ages again like Fantasy Countries. I know it might be crazy to start another, so before we make any final decisions or ideas I'd like to know if anyone would support this?
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:22 am UTC

I'm always up for another Create Your Own Country.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:04 am UTC

Never mind forget this :| .

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:46 am UTC

(discussion continued from rumble of the bands)
Vytron wrote:Also, feel free to go with 7 locked rooms game thing if you want, I intended to create that one once this one was running, but if this one gets canned then I think you should have the option to go with the other one.

Nah, you should go ahead with 7 spies/7 rooms. I'm actually pretty interested to play it using some version of your modified messaging system. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out improvements for it myself without really getting anywhere, so I'm happy to let you take up the mantle.

I was thinking more along the lines of either writing up a science game, or starting up a 4 to 5 player RPG with a system I've used to great effect in real life that's based around rolling D6s. Here's a little blurb about my thoughts:

Now, as far as RPGs go on this forum, we already have Tel Balok, and arguably Crisis Room, and probably some others running that I'm forgetting about, but mine would play fairly distinct from either of those. Plot wise I'm thinking either sci-fi space opera, or a kind of genre mash-up where each episode is a different setting with a kind of universe-hopping overarching plot tying it together. I'm very flexible as far as design and focus goes; I'm happy to adapt to the preferences of players, but I'm thinking it would be fairly plot-driven, so players could get away with just submitting actions rather than doing long write-ups if they wanted.

Any interest in this? Or is Science Game in higher demand? Or something else?
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 am UTC

I'm up for some different kind of RPG (specially if it's about universe hopping!) though I'm not a fan of dice throwing. Dice were used recently on Fighting Fantasy, on 12obin's East of Burheel, and more distantly Snark's Little Big World, and what I gathered was that it's not very satisfactory to succeed because you roll high or fail because you roll low (and this is a reason Tel Balok II went with a subjective system where the mod keeps things fair and fun, which I prefer, in any case) and it's more satisfactory when results depend on skill (in Crossover Baseball I showed unbalanced Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanics can greatly punish random play, so skill on action selection is important, like in Dubiobugtron's Chess Boxing.)

Dice rolling seems more apt for "light games" like Roll To Dodge (the problem with dice and forum games is that games take a lot of time to resolve, so in real life you can spend 8 hours on a day playing games and throwing dice for a satisfactory result because you are over on a single game session - on forum games spending two weeks to meet the boss and then suck at rolling would be devastating), but I guess it'd work with a very fast paced game (say, a whole story is done in a week?)

I'm actually pretty interested to play it using some version of your modified messaging system.

It seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm not sure anymore. The idea is this:

Players post a spoiler to the mod telling them who they're communicating with.

Then, on an X basis (X yet to be determined) the mod posts a spoiler with a @tag for each player that received a message (including empty @tags).

Players start a round with 3 "Ticks", sending a message to as many players as they want on the initial spoiler to the mod is done for free. Afterwards, whenever they want to read all @Player spoilers directed to them they spend 1 Tick. If they want to Reply to <as many players as they want on a @mod spoiler> they spend the second Tick. And, to read another @Player spoiler directed to them they'd spend their last Tick. If they have 0 Ticks, they can't do anything until next round. And opening empty spoilers to read them doesn't use Ticks.

So, you can wait without reading @Player spoilers directed at you to save your Ticks for later, to read all of them in a single go, meaning there's strategy on how often you read spoilers (after some X basis have happened some players might have run out of Ticks while others may still be communicating with others). Once a new round starts, you can read all spoilers of the previous one, and send as many messages to people in a mod spoiler. However, Ticks accumulate, so a player that only used 2 Ticks on Round 1 (say, they only used one to read replies to their messages, and another to send a final batch of messages, but they didn't read the replies to those) will have 4 Ticks to spend on this Round, and so on.

And that's it.

I also recall that when I suggested this system you said that if we made Ticks infinite, then we could get rid of Rounds altogether, though my opinion on that was most active players would gain a huge advantage (and players that only checked the game daily wouldn't stand a chance.)

Or is Science Game in higher demand?

After the demise of Challenge Your Assumptions I think Science Game could be created now since they'd not overlap.

Or something else?

I'm highly interested on a sport game. You said you were considering drafting sport games similar to card games and board games about sports, I'd really like to see your take on this genre.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

I don't think I'd want to go for designing an entirely new game based on drafting right now, but definitely sometime in the future.

I'm not sure challenge your assumptions is fully dead, although I think it might be too large in scope to easily finish. From what I can see the problem is you've given us a 9×9 grid of rooms where the state of each room is important and somewhat complex, so in order for us to solve the game you'll have to write 81 separate detailed descriptions, possibly more than once as we fiddle around with it. That might be a problem.

I still think that tick system sounds too complicated. I do maintain that doing away with the turn-based component altogether would be the best way to make 7 spies run more smoothly, but I also agree that puts certain players at an advantage. Then again, building an incentive to be more active into the game isn't necessarily bad design. Maybe some sort of hybrid system where players get free, unmoderated private communication for the duration of the round, but actions like sending keys and unlocking doors only happen at the end of the round, and the round only ends when everyone votes for it?

As for dice rolling, I generally agree that it's better to have skill based games rather than rely on random number generators, but I also prefer that rpg style games are light on mechanics in general, and more focused on storytelling, so there's not really much room for skill based gameplay on the first place. The rng aspect is mostly to mix things up a bit so I, as the game master, don't simply have to decide what happens every time someone takes an action. I just set a difficulty, and the more you've invested in a particular skill, the greater your probability of success. Kind of like in real life.

Oops, I just responded to your post backwards :roll:
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:04 am UTC

Okay, here's the game! So lets see how, basically, 12 hour rounds work.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:12 am UTC

That wasn't exactly the system I was thinking of - I meant that there should be minimal mod involvement, and players should be allowed allowed direct communication with each other via @playername spoilers without filtering them through the mod. Part of this, of course, is to reduce the amount of work the mod has to do, which might be less of a concern for you than for me, but I think it would also help the game move faster and feel less frustrating. As it is, your method isn't that different from the original design, it just moves faster due to enforced time limits. I'm still interested to try it, but I would prefer using my system. Also, considering how slow this forum has been lately, you might not get seven players :| .
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:34 am UTC

I think allowing direct communications completely kills the game, as you know who's communicating with who, and it's impossible to impersonate people (a big part of the fun on the incarnation I played).

Direct communication was tried in Gambit - A Game of Ridiculous Manipulation, which was similar to Locked Rooms, and it led to a stallfest in where the optimal strategy was to just outright lie about what you were sending but never sending it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

I just found a load of good forum games in a reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EVEX/comments/2 ... orum_game/
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 pm UTC

patzer wrote:I just found a load of good forum games in a reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EVEX/comments/2 ... orum_game/

I just started ASCII Metamorphosis. Laser tag league sounds fun as well. The 20 minute rounds are probably a bit short for this forum, but that can easily be extended.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

Aight y'all, I'm bored and looking to start up a new iteration of Reply Race (Which I mentioned in this post)

I'm looking for ideas for team names, and possibly for one or two other participants to start threads for separate teams so I don't have to be the OP for all of them. I wanna start with just two teams (maybe three), though of course anyone may start more later on.

Here's my first draft for the rules:

1. Reply Race 2.0 is a game played by teams across multiple official team threads in forum games.
2. To be an official team thread, a thread must have these rules in its OP, and a team name in its title.
3. Any thread participating in Reply Race 2.0 must be created after the original two threads in this game (no retconning old threads into the game).
4. Anyone may create a new team at any time. You may switch teams as much as you like.
5. The team that currently has the most posts in their thread is winning.
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
- - -

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

Do you enjoy posting in the sort of thread that all the cool people post in? Do you want other people to think you are just as cool as the people who are actually cool and not just pretending? Are you stupid enough that this post will convince you to do what the following sentence tells you to do, even after I explicitly called you stupid?

If you answered "yes" or "no" to any of those questions, join the Gold Team! We'd love to have you on our side!
-Adam

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 am UTC

So, two things: 1) I'm thinking about a new game, and 2) I have been thinking more about the discussion on the previous pages, about a separation of simple and involved games.

My next game will be, if I don't start a mafia game (been thinking about a mafia game where you don't die, to prevent player elimination), a tower defence game. Players work together against waves of enemies to defend... something. The idea is that each player controls one tower that they can upgrade. However, upgrading costs gold, and gold is shared among all players. It also takes experience to upgrade, so you also need to figure out who should kill most enemies. This is controlled by positioning: towers are placed not on the ground, but on something that can move. Together, players decide how the towers move, and how to spend their gold. Nothing more, so it should be easy to play.
Questions are: what problems could arise if all gold is shared and players have to decide things as a group? And the ever-arising problem: how do I make this game easy to mod? If all battles take as much time as they do in my other game, 19xx, then I could only do a wave once a week or something, making the game too inactive.

As for the discussion around page 13-14, I think this is part of a bigger problem. I would like to discuss this in private with some people, so if you're interested please send me a pm.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am UTC

The obvious problem resulting from shared gold is disagreement over how it should be spent, especially if two or more players are unwilling to compromise. Therefore a system will be needed to determine how gold is allocated when the players can't reach a consensus. Some type of vote would probably be ideal.

As for ensuring modding is fast, one solution would be to simulate rounds using a computer, which would allow a non-trivial number of enemies to be used without having to figure out the result for each one manually, as well as more complicated mechanics or calculations than would be feasible otherwise (while the mechanics should ideally be simple enough that players can easily see the effect of their decisions, this would enable things like effectiveness decreasing with distance which are easy to intuitively conceptualize but harder to calculate) . There are a number of factors which could make this impractical however, for example creating the program to simulate rounds, running it, and inputting player actions in a format it can understand, to name a few.

I'm not sure of your exact vision for the game, but if manual modding is desired, the mechanics might be something like this: You make a list of enemies for the round, and for each tower each enemy passes by take of some number of hit points from the enemy (based on the upgrades of the tower) and give experience to the tower. When the hit points reach 0 cross the enemy off the list and add gold to the total. This probably isn't enough for the full game, but it could serve as a basis for modifying, and shouldn't take an excessive amount of time for low to moderate numbers of enemies.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 am UTC

(I'll just say here that I'm not interested in "group games" where players act as a team trying to achieve a common goal because there's an unavoidable fact: whatever goals the players reach they could have done it without me. Also, the mod might make the game harder if there's more players for balance, so one doesn't actually help by participating, because the task would have been easier without one. So I'd much rather have players competing to build the best towers to compete against other players (i.e. you can send waves of enemies against the towers of other players, and upgrade those enemies) or having at least 2 teams of players that try to build the best towers to defend against the other team's waves of enemies instead of the mod's waves of enemies. Though this is just personal preference.)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

To all:

I am very sad that I have not had the time to mod and play lately, and I'm even sadder that I don't anticipate being able to mod and play (actively, at least) any time soon. It's not because I don't love you all! I surely do. ;)

I really did want to keep going with Tel Balok and when I had time I was going to push for more activity, but instead I'll let that die. As for Quarry Defense, I would love if someone else took over modding that, or co-opting the thread for their own semi-related purposes (e.g. Lawrencelot's tower defense). I'll make a post in the game thread for more info.

Any other games that I've participated in lately (Balderdash I think is the only one) will have to carry on without me. :cry:

Toodles!
-Adam

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am UTC

Too bad you're going Adam, I enjoyed our games together. Hope to see you back soon.

As for my game: I thought about making a simulator but don't think I have the time or skills to do so. However I can simulate a few scenarios manually, fit some sort of black box model on those examples, and see what this model says about the scenarios that are to occur in the game.

As for the shared gold problem, I think I will make both gold and experience individual, keep a shared losing condition, but add individual winning conditions. I hope this makes it more interesting for vytron as well

faubiguy

Game List Thread

Postby faubiguy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:32 pm UTC

I think that it would be a good idea to create a thread that lists different games that have been played in the past (for example, Blind Quartets, Thumbtacks, Hexattack, and Haggle) with a brief description of each game and a link to each time that game has been played. It would provide a place for people to see what games they might wish to mod as well as an archive of games to read through or to build upon. While every game can be found in the threads list, it requires a fair amount of effort to sort through, and also doesn't provide a way to see other times that game has been played. While players have posted small lists of games at various times in the discussion thread, a full list has not to my knowledge been compiled.

This could also be integrated with a feedback thread or the discussion thread, so that players can leave feedback and suggest improvements for games that have finished which would be visible to future mods that had not been involved in past incarnations of the game.

Of course, a forum thread is almost certainly not the ideal medium for such a list. A wiki would likely be more suitable but would add other problems. It may also be that having such a repository of games adds enough complexity that it outweighs the gains. What are your opinions on this?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:09 am UTC

Sounds like an interesting project, but it would take considerable time and effort to make it all at once.

Suggestion:

Create a game where players score points by referencing old games played on the forum, giving their descriptions, and only for games not already described. Then as people play they fulfill your project a game at a time, and eventually we're done.

(Like:

Double Post: Describe Forum Games Edition

Or something. I'd play that and help with the project.)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:04 am UTC

[Deleted]
Last edited by Vytron on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrencelot

Re: Game List Thread

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:44 am UTC

faubiguy wrote:I think that it would be a good idea to create a thread that lists different games that have been played in the past

Of course, a forum thread is almost certainly not the ideal medium for such a list. A wiki would likely be more suitable but would add other problems. It may also be that having such a repository of games adds enough complexity that it outweighs the gains. What are your opinions on this?

Maybe it can start as a forum thread, and as the thread becomes cluttered (which it would, eventually), a wiki or something else can be created using the thread as a starting point.

I also like Vytron's idea. But for the feedback or discussion part of it, we would need an other thread. Or else, the player who describes a past game also tries to give some feedback and others could expand on that.

Who wants to make this thread?

While the thread has not been made yet, I would like to ask people for feedback on my dead game, Sandbox Cities. I really liked the game concept and would like to restart it, but it can use a lot of improvement. Please take a look and let me know how you think it could be improved.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

Probably this thread could be used to discuss those games...

The problem with Sandbox Cities that I had is that it was really difficult eventually to count how many things you were supposed to get since your last turn. I went inactive for a while on the thread, and when I got back I was meant to get a bunch of stuff, which was great, but then to know exactly what was I getting I needed to count it, and that wasn't great.

Seems to be the kind of game that would be perfect as a multiplayer webgame, like say, Cookie Clicker, where there's some code that counts things for you and notifies you of what's going on.

Another problem is that, well, it's a sandbox game so there's no goal by definition :mrgreen: so at some point I was swimming in gold but had no idea what to do with it, so I could only think of defining things that were more and more expensive, and gave more gold, so other people could buy them, like richer gets richer and poorer gets poorer, I guess making it challenging to player with less gold, but in the end only a mean to get even more gold.

It seems also, that the very first rules created for the game lead to some kind of game, and not others, so at some point I kind of regretted introducing so many things at the start that set the tone that the game would have afterwards, because I was curious to have seen how the game would have developed in another direction with a different set of rules.

It would be interesting to hear SirGabriel's take on it, since at the end it was you and him, but he dropped.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:14 am UTC

So, today I watched this video and then went obsessed over beating this
game.

And I abandoned my life in order to tackle this, without help, or strategy advice, just figuring things on my own...

And then... (contains game spoilers)
Spoiler:
2048.png

Phew! I won this one! Internet!

But wait, there's a Keep playing button? :shock: This thing keeps going?!

Oh dear...

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 am UTC

Get 10 is more fun than 2048 in my opinion.

My best score is five 9s (since actually getting a 10 ends the game
Spoiler:

I haven't gotten a 2048 in 2048 though.

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:46 am UTC

I actually managed to get 4096 in 2048 once :shock:

You need a huge amount of control and practise to get there though. Just one mistake ends the game.

Edit: That get 10 game is really addictive. Got 9 on first tey, and there'll probably be many more tries to come :|
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 am UTC

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:35 pm UTC

Okay, one thing at a time, otherwise I'll not be able to play 2048 ever again D:

The secret to 2048 (contains game spoilers)
Spoiler:
Stop rotating things like crazy :P - just keep the highest numbers in a corner or in some edge, and don't be obsessed with matching two big pairs, they can always be dealt with later.

patzer wrote:I actually managed to get 4096 in 2048 once :shock:

Did you record your score of that game? I think I could consider 2048 solved if I could defeat your score.

Also, I dream of a forum game ala Puzzle Wars where people challenge each other to score high in such games over the Internet. What do people think and what is the general opinion about using emulators and Roms for such a game?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

This thread also seems fine for that, but if you want to keep track of the high scores a new thread would come in handy. While I don't mind the use of emulators and roms, I doubt many people will do so, and it is really limiting since I and probably most others can't use them at work. What game did you have in mind that needs an emulator though?

Playing that Q04b game now, really enjoying it. I've got a waterfall atm.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:29 am UTC

I was thinking making something big, like, a Mario-Party-like game where we have a main board, people roll dice to advance, and then after every turn we play an Internet game suggested by people. Like, we each play a Q04b game and compare our score to get coins, or something.

I'm asking here if people are interested because I just cancelled 2 different games in different fora and I wouldn't a third. Furthermore, maybe someone can design the layout of the game with me and then create a thread and run the game.

Lawrencelot wrote:What game did you have in mind that needs an emulator though?

Well, since there are pages on the internet that allow people to play those games in the pages themselves, I think they count as Internet Games and should be included (say, each player is tasked to defeat the first level of Super Mario Bros as fast as possible and report their score), but due to their legality everyone involved should be okay with them.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:05 am UTC

faubiguy wrote:Get 10 is more fun than 2048 in my opinion.

My best score is five 9s (since actually getting a 10 ends the game
Spoiler:

I haven't gotten a 2048 in 2048 though.

Actually, you can play on from getting a 10. Just managed to get a 10, here:
Spoiler:

(Next I'll be trying for an 11...)

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:28 am UTC

I think the iOS version allows you to continue after getting a 10. The web version just ends the game.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:26 am UTC

faubiguy wrote:I think the iOS version allows you to continue after getting a 10. The web version just ends the game.

Oh. :/

Solution: procure an iOS emulator?

I'll try playing the game in a web browser, to see if you're correct about a ten ending the game. The website seemed to say that you could play on beyond ten...?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:37 am UTC

I actually like the Mario Party idea! I did not know you can play roms in your browser, and I don't mind doing so but it's good that you ask that first, not everyone might agree on that.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

@Lawrencelot: Alright! Do we continue designing the game on the thread, or do we create a new Design thread to continue on with this? Normally I'd be all for doing so in a new thread, but when I did it for Crossover Baseball, I played a few test games with Adam H, but it really didn't go anywhere, and it seems it'd be better to just discuss the basics of the game on this thread, and go ahead and create it, because otherwise we could just get stuck for weeks on a Game Design thread just making changes...

But anyway, please tell me how these look like:

Win Condition

The player with the most Stars at the end of the Game wins.

Gameplay

There's a Game Board with Spaces, and all players start at Space 0 (there's no other way to arrive to this sapce). They roll a 1d10 dice, and advance through the board. The board has a finite number of spaces, and once they're over you go again on the first one, so the board loops.

NOTE - Snakes & Ladders Monopoly! may be worth checking, it was a game with the same concept of a board looping and people throwing dice to advance. Ironically, the high interest of that game was its biggest problem, it amassed 11 players and I was all like "the more, the merrier!" but it turned out it each turn was a drag, because you had to sit and wait for 10 other players to take their turn before it was yours again. Also, people seemed to have lost interest after it was clear who was going to win (the game would have continued with Snark's three hotels dominating and eventually making everyone else bankrupt - in hindsight it might have been best to declare him the winner instead of letting the game die...)

Things we can learn:

Limit the number of players?

Perhaps Mario Party is played with 4 players for a reason, and limiting it would be best. It'd be easier to start in theory too, we just need 2 more people interested to start.

Allow players to take turns out of order?

Perhaps that game would have gone a lot faster if people just jumped in and took their turn whenever they chose to. You still have to wait for the slowest player, but with waiting out of the question it's feasible to take several turns a day.

Dice guessing?

The game successfully got rid of randomness by having players hide numbers behind spoilers, and had players try to guess their pattern used, or the numbers they had left, so actually, the most successful players were those that managed to take full advantage of this, while those that didn't were in effect rolling random numbers. But, eh, just rolling dice normally would do.

The "Minigames"

So here's the entire point of the game. After everyone has taken their turn, the player that is the most behind on the board, or the one in last place (least Coins, and Stars) that hasn't suggested a game yet, suggests a game that can be played on the Browser over the internet.

Players are allowed to practice as much as they want on this game, but by the honor system, they have to say at some point "this is the real deal", and at that point they play, and do their best, and they report their score on that game.

Then we can have the player that did the best score 10 Coins, the one on second 5 coins, and the one on third 2 coins, with the rest getting nothing.

Any game that can be played on a browser without having to create an account somewhere can be suggested, so it becomes a contest of who is the best playing games.

Stars and Spaces

So, that's basically the core mechanic of the game. There would be spaces on the board that can contain a star at random, and the star stays there waiting for someone to buy them for 20 coins, after which they go somewhere else.

Other than that, we can implement any kind of space from Mario Party:

Blue Space - Gives the player landing on it 3 coins.
Red Space - Takes away 3 coins from the player.
Mushroom Space - Player throws a 6 sided dice, if they get a 1 or a 2 they lose their next turn, 3 to 6 allow them to play again.
Ghost space - Allows a player to steal 10% of the coins of another player, rounded down, for free, or steal a star from another player for 50 coins
Etc.

Heck, where we go beyond Mario Party is where we can allow players to create their own spaces and make them appear directly on the board in real time, something Mario Party can't ever have because it'd require programming.

Game Boards

We only need one board, it can have special features such as Branching (players can decide to go one way, or another), Shops (with Items that players can buy), Banks (passing on some zones costs coins, landing on the bank gives you all those coins), etc. But it begs the question of how prominent the board should be, perhaps most of this should be scrapped and the focus put on the MiniGames, but then again, that aspect will depend on what the players suggest.

And that's it for now. I'd of course would think about possible "overdoing" it, such as, having players with customized avatars that appear in the board, similar to Monopoly tokens, but I tend to want to make things more complex than necessary.

Return to “Forum Games”