Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Inspirations

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:13 am UTC

I can no longer hear the phrase 'let it go' without being Fro-Rolled.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:20 am UTC

Fro-Rolled??? Google failed me.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 am UTC

Angua wrote:I can no longer hear the phrase 'let it go' without being Fro-Rolled.

I make sure to always sing the words whenever I need to say the phrase.

I blame the internet.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:37 am UTC

Sombrero Cat wrote:Fro-Rolled??? Google failed me.
Like rick-rolled, but with a more modern ear worm. I made it up.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:31 am UTC

gracias

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

I like how the "casualties" section of the infobox on the Wikipedia article on the hundred years war just says "high".

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:59 am UTC

brenok wrote:I like how the "casualties" section of the infobox on the Wikipedia article on the hundred years war just says "high".

> 1/year
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 am UTC

I would really like the Decemberists song Don't Carry It All. Except I can't help being hopelessly thrown by the lyric "Let every vessel pitching hard to starboard, Lay its head on summer's freckled knees"

You can't pitch to starboard. You pitch fore and aft, you can roll , heel or list port and starboard (depending on if it's repetetive and caused by waves, continuous and caused by the force of the wind on the sails, or continuous caused by an uneven weight/buoyancy distribution).

Sometimes I hate my inner pedant - I know it doesn't matter, but that somehow doesn't help me enjoy the song.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:50 am UTC

Maybe each vessel throws balls towards the home plate.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

I just realised that I've ran a total of several hundred Km while wearing an XKCD tshirt. Although that's not a whole lot for dedicated runners, it's a lot of casual runners. The first one was actually got worn out, stitched, then worn out again, the second is still going strong. If you see one near Regents park, London, it's almost certainly me (Given the fact that I've ran past tens of thousands of people by now and not seen anyone else with one).

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm UTC

elminster wrote:I just realised that I've ran a total of several hundred Km while wearing an XKCD tshirt. Although that's not a whole lot for dedicated runners, it's a lot of casual runners. The first one was actually got worn out, stitched, then worn out again, the second is still going strong. If you see one near Regents park, London, it's almost certainly me (Given the fact that I've ran past tens of thousands of people by now and not seen anyone else with one).

I'll keep an eye out - although I'm normally around further south than Regents park.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Jplus wrote:
Xeio wrote:Finally got around to making the XKCD script I had into a Chrome extension.

That is absolutely fabulous. Am I allowed to create a Safari equivalent?

Sure, have some source.

Forked! I'll see when I get to actually do something with it.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

Why do "reasons for unsubscribing" questions always have "I no longer wish to receive these emails" as an option? Surely that's automatically implied by the very fact that you are electing not to receive them any more.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Why do "reasons for unsubscribing" questions always have "I no longer wish to receive these emails" as an option? Surely that's automatically implied by the very fact that you are electing not to receive them any more.
To give you a viable "none of the above" to check when their other excuses don't apply?

Quercus wrote:You can't pitch to starboard.
Sure you can. Modern supertankers can just about hold a baseball field sideways on deck. Put home plate on the right and you can pitch to starboard. If you have some partly refined crude for a baseball, you can even pitch pitch to starboard. And in rough seas you can pitch pitch to starboard while the ship pitches fore and aft. And if there's a golf cours.... ok, I'll stop here.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Quercus wrote:Why do "reasons for unsubscribing" questions always have "I no longer wish to receive these emails" as an option? Surely that's automatically implied by the very fact that you are electing not to receive them any more.
To give you a viable "none of the above" to check when their other excuses don't apply?

Sure, but you can only select one option - this option always applies even if one of the others does too, so I find it a little weird that they worded it that way rather than saying, literally, "none of the above" or "other". There's probably some real reason that they choose to do it that way, and I'd be interested in finding out what that is if anyone knows (I realise I worded my question kind of sarcastically, but I'm actually getting curious now).

Sure you can. Modern supertankers can just about hold a baseball field sideways on deck. Put home plate on the right and you can pitch to starboard. If you have some partly refined crude for a baseball, you can even pitch pitch to starboard. And in rough seas you can pitch pitch to starboard while the ship pitches fore and aft. And if there's a golf cours.... ok, I'll stop here.

:)
Last edited by Quercus on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:35 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
ucim wrote:

Sure, but you can only select one option - this option always applies even if one of the others does too, so I find it a little weird that they worded it that way rather than saying, literally, "none of the above" or "other". There's probably some real reason that they choose to do it that way, and I'd be interested in finding out what that is if anyone knows (I realise I worded my question kind of sarcastically, but I'm actually getting curious now).
Treat it like a multiple choice test where multiple answers might be correct, but you're expected to choose the most correct.

In other words, they'd like you to pick the most specific option. If none or more than one of those apply, got for the generic last option.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:39 am UTC

ucim wrote:

Aaaah!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
ucim wrote:

Well, it doesn't necessarily always apply... in fact, I'd wager the majority of the time, it doesn't apply... as it implies you ever wanted to receive the emails. If you never signed up for the list, you just bought something from someone and they automatically included you in their marketing lists, or you signed up for some list and they stealth-added you to a bunch of other crap too, then it's not a situation of "I no longer want them" it's "I never wanted them", and the other options in the survey cover those options.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Quercus wrote:
ucim wrote:

Well, it doesn't necessarily always apply... in fact, I'd wager the majority of the time, it doesn't apply... as it implies you ever wanted to receive the emails. If you never signed up for the list, you just bought something from someone and they automatically included you in their marketing lists, or you signed up for some list and they stealth-added you to a bunch of other crap too, then it's not a situation of "I no longer want them" it's "I never wanted them", and the other options in the survey cover those options.

You are quite correct, thanks.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:30 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Well, it doesn't necessarily always apply [...] as it implies you ever wanted to receive the emails.
True, but I would be really surprised to see an option on one of those unsubscribe things:

Why are you leaving our wonderful mailing list? Please check as many as apply:
[ ] I hate spam, and you are a spammer.
[ ] Your emails probably contain special codes that follow me around and will blow me up without warning.
[ ] Your company is a disreputable scumsucking wasteland and should be wiped off the face of the world. With prejudice.
[ ] You can't spell either. Geez - take a lesson from the Nigeria scam folk.
[ ] I'd insert a "yo mamma" joke here but she wouldn't fit.
[ ] And your father smelled of elderberry.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:[ ] And your father smelled of elderberry.

I don't get that one? Why is that bad?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

I gather you haven't seen Monty Python's quest for the Holy Grail lately?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I gather you haven't seen Monty Python's quest for the Holy Grail lately?

Ah, no, it's been a while.

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

Free quality control data. Bugs when you need to go through that to remove a program too.

___

Smell like booze.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:20 pm UTC

speising wrote:
ucim wrote:[ ] And your father smelled of elderberry.

I don't get that one? Why is that bad?

it never seemed bad to me either.

"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:30 pm UTC

The insult is that your father's always drunk on elderberry wine.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

My new hot-chocolate making technique (made possible by the fact that we now have an espresso machine with a steam wand*) seems to result in something which tastes good. Now if I could only work out how to stop quite so much of it ending up spread in a thin layer over the inside of the microwave and the outside of the mug that would be grand.

*This phrase always makes me think of a steampunk reboot of Harry Potter

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:The insult is that your father's always drunk on elderberry wine.

That sounds really tasty.
my pronouns are they

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
bachaddict wrote:The insult is that your father's always drunk on elderberry wine.

Apparently from my googling it can be quite tannin heavy, so I'm not sure it would taste like it sounds. I suspect you are thinking (as I was) that it would taste of elderflower. There is also elderflower wine though, and if you like those sort of flavours in your alcoholic beverages you might like moscato wine , which tastes to me like someone worked out how to bottle a summer morning.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 am UTC

I was thinking primarily of elderflowers (although I have also eaten and enjoyed elderberries). Tanin-y doesn't sound ideal though.

Ah well, guess I'll stick to tea and mead (not together, that'd be weird).

Edit: I do sometimes drink wine and think I've had moscato before. I tend to suck at remembering stuff about wine though but will try to remember it (wine is significantly cheaper than mead so it's useful to know what wine I like).
my pronouns are they

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:24 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:

Apparently from my googling it can be quite tannin heavy, so I'm not sure it would taste like it sounds. I suspect you are thinking (as I was) that it would taste of elderflower. There is also elderflower wine though, and if you like those sort of flavors in your alcoholic beverages you might like moscato wine , which tastes to me like someone worked out how to bottle a summer morning.

Yes.
The Muscat wines are Amazing.

The way I like the one I used the most was to pour it over pieces of cubed fresh fruit.
And, drink it with a spoon from a large dinner wine glass.

It is good for Brunch with strong coffee and sweet cold water.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

The randolph hotel is currently on fire. Apparently, the oxford internet institute is a fan of webcams and had one up already pointing right at at.

http://webcam.oii.ox.ac.uk/camera1.cfm?hc_location=ufi

I did not know Oxford had live webcams around.
GNU Terry Pratchett

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

Eyelashes are great for keeping stuff out your eyes, but my eyes are great at catching eyelashes that have fallen out. Argh...

Quercus wrote:I'll keep an eye out - although I'm normally around further south than Regents park.
I typically run around the outer/inner circle, sometimes inside edge of the park.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:25 pm UTC

I find the term "Stuffing your face" silly.

I don't picture someone putting food in their mouth, I picture someone shoving food and stuff in every orifice on their head.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:I find the term "Stuffing your face" silly.

I don't picture someone putting food in their mouth, I picture someone shoving food and stuff in every orifice on their head.

I picture autotaxidermy

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

Angua wrote:The randolph hotel is currently on fire. Apparently, the oxford internet institute is a fan of webcams and had one up already pointing right at at.

http://webcam.oii.ox.ac.uk/camera1.cfm?hc_location=ufi

I did not know Oxford had live webcams around.

Fire engines.
cool.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:06 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
Aleril wrote:I find the term "Stuffing your face" silly.

I picture autotaxidermy
Wow, talk about instant nightmares or brutal horror movie segment. Can't imagine it's the best feeling of placing stuffing under the surface of your face while alive, by yourself.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:57 am UTC

That reminds me of self-mummification. (Warning: kind of creepy.)
Spoiler:
the self-mummification of a Tibetan monk, who died ca. 1475 and whose body was retrieved relatively incorrupt in the 1990s, was achieved by the sophisticated practices of meditation, coupled with prolonged starvation and slow self-suffocation using a special belt that connected the neck with his knees in a lotus position

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 am UTC

The sunglasses seem out of place in the picture of that article.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:21 am UTC

The sunglasses were placed there so that the sunken appearance of Luang Pho Daeng's eyes wouldn't disturb visiting children or anyone else who comes to pay their respects.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Return to “General”