1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 am UTC

He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1305

Postby mscha » Wed May 13, 2015 12:10 pm UTC

HEADBUNGERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'LL GIVE YOO A TOAPIC... THE BEANISH STARCATS WERE NEITHER BEANISH NOR STARCATS. DISCUSS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1065

Postby SilentTimer » Wed May 13, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

IF POSTUNG YOU IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… how Cueball uses the rope?
Spoiler:
He clasps it with his arms and his legs. By Cueganite standards his climbing skills are notable but when it comes to using a rope for climbing, he's not really an expert. (He's adept in using the rope for other things.)
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 13, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:New OtherComic, where Cuegan are sitting under a tree⁴, talking about “Time”.

This is so awesomefully META and ridiculously AWESOME that I had to come here immediately. Only to find barely no one talking about it. It's the most META thing we've seen from the GLR in almost 2 yips, you xuys. Joyeux un temps!

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:New OtherComic, where Cuegan are sitting under a tree⁴, talking about “Time”.

I do love it when an othercomic doesn't require any ottifying :D
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

This is so awesomefully META and ridiculously AWESOME that I had to come here immediately. Only to find barely no one talking about it.

Hey, now you and me and yappo are talking about it. ;)

Valarya wrote: It's the most META thing we've seen from the GLR in almost 2 yips, you xuys. Joyeux un temps!

Yeah.

Time is one of my favourite dimensions, too.
Luckily we are living in a curved four-dimensional space-time with only one time-like dimension. How would our world the OTCRELATED look like if we had two or more of them (in addition to at least 2.5 space-like dimensions)?
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed May 13, 2015 2:42 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Time is one of my favourite dimensions, too.
Luckily we are living in a curved four-dimensional space-time with only one time-like dimension. How would our world the OTCRELATED look like if we had two or more of them (in addition to at least 2.5 space-like dimensions)?

Mightily confusing, is what it'd look like ;)

That is to say, completely normal by OTT standards ^^

^^yes, I know. Ni ni ni Dimension Ping pong Time
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1066

Postby SilentTimer » Wed May 13, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

I'M DEVELOPUNG A SYSTEM TO WAIT FOR ARBITRARY HOTDOGS. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… what Cueball is doing?

mrob27

NO, FORELOCK, YOU ARE THE MUSTARDINESS

Postby mrob27 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:39 pm UTC

Botcastles have been crashing again, causing one line of bOTTeriada to ONG late.

A riverish correction: I've actually called the Speech API more often, first to get the syllables, then later I decided to make a pronunciation database and rhyming dictionary, so I had to look up each word again. Each Time Accessor only adds a maximum of 143 new words every time it checks the OTT.

Angelastic wrote: Did you make a double dactyl detector?

Sort of. All I have to do is change the metrical search pattern from ":11111-1111111-11111:" for haiku to ":100100-100100-100100-1001:" for a single stanza (4 lines) of double-dactyl. But in the entire OTT, it only manages to find four:

Code: Select all

cat baretext.txt | pmgrep :100100-100100-100100-1001: -lp '(OTT[:0-9]+)'
   OTT:558:30 22312  :wait for it:wait for it:wait for it:wait for it:wait for it:wait for it:wait for it:k:
    OTT:657:6 26248  :pluralizational issues with lego and alternate meanings of bacon are fun:
  OTT:2068:34 82716  :catching a glimpse of the vista before them the holy catographer points to the right:
  OTT:2068:34 82716  :soon the cathedral was off in the distance with gathering throngs for a blitzer's acclaim:

One trivial unintended one, and only 3 stanzas of intentionally-written double-dactyl. This can be improved by changing the sentence-separators ':' to word-separators '-', but the results are still dreadful. If I look at specific examples, I can see it's because of secondary stress. For example, the first example by @jjjdavidson at OTT:655:0 begins Strummity hummity─ / StratPlayer awesomeness / Bursts from each parody, / Pastiche, and verse;. My dictionary thinks this is stressed STRUMmity HUMmity / STRATPlayer AWEsomeness / BURSTS from EACH PArody, / PASTICHE, and VERSE;. The desired pattern is m*starded by the stress on each, which usually is stressed when occurring in prose, and both syllables of pastiche, which is in the dictionary as "21" meaning that there is a secondary, but still significant, stress on the first syllable. (I use the CMU Pronouncing Dictionary for all the standard words, which seems a bit better, and has secondary stress information.) Thus the whole stanza fails to match the rather strict 100100/100100/100100/1001 template my program is looking for.
  I encourage you to look for double-dactyls using your own approach and see if you can get better results.
  Thanks for the suggestion of opening a speech channel only once. Of course! :oops: That's a great idea :) I can make my command-line tool read multiple lines of input and output each result separately, so it becomes useful for batch conversion.
I'd like to try it with your 55MB file …

I think you might want to go with @Sciscitor's version, currently you are using it and it works well (and I was so effectively ninja'd Image)
Haiku Detector itself being general purpose, it doesn't do anything special such as removing 'wrote' or quotes or anything. It just takes whatever text I give it. […]

Yes, as does mine… but your reply seems to avoid mentioning the fact that the text you give it has to come from somewhere. The OTT is available only as HTML, so @Sciscitor and I have written, as entirely separate projects, two programs entirely separate from each other and from any poetry project, that convert the OTT into plain text. If you were to create your own solution for that, you'd discover all sorts of nibbly bits that have to be sorted out, like what to do with the repeated subject line Re: 1190: "Time", and the dates at the top of every post, and signatures, and the words "Spoiler:" and "CODE: SELECT ALL", and attachment filenames, and alt text, and on and on. I made choices on each of these which are not necessarily the same that you'd make. I think taking the "wrote:"s out may have been motivated by word count statistics, but for poetry, as you imply, it would be better to include the "wrote:"s.

yappobiscuits wrote:Makes mental note to never underestimate OTTers tendencies to take a throwaway TV show reference way too seriously

Oh. :oops: Uhh, could you tell me what the TV reference was? If they make formal logic jokes, it might be something I'd like.

HES wrote:New Holy Text

Huh. On Hudson the book cover is different!

The differences I spotted are:
  • No titles "cool rock", "hot rock" (lower-left)
  • No space capsule (in Corvus, above words "sea floor")
  • Hydra is labeled "Group of stars named for a pretend fish" instead of Monoceros "…after… horse"

Sustainabilizer wrote: Luckily we are living in a curved four-dimensional space-time with only one time-like dimension. How would our world the OTCRELATED look like if we had two or more of them (in addition to at least 2.5 space-like dimensions)?

Just get Mrorl to build a Machine and set a different value of N Image

— mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
thing-explainer-early-cover.jpg
Part of the earlier "Thing Explainer" cover
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 13, 2015 7:47 pm UTC

I pasted Sciscitor's new text file into Haiku Detector, and then forgot about it until I wondered why my fan was running and went to see which apps were using the most energy. Haiku Detector had stopped responding, after finding 12812 haiku. I think maybe feeding it a text file that includes the posts where I put all the previously-found haiku was a bad idea. :D (Although, even then, 12812 seems excessive. Edit: And it does filter out duplicates; I just checked. Maybe it's because people started deliberately writing haiku after I first posted the unintentional ones. Or maybe there was some other phenomenon which caused a lot of short sentences that can fit into haiku.)

Not really a bad idea, of course, but a useful stress test. I'm trying it again in the debugger (I used a release build of Haiku Detector because it happened to already be open) and see where/why it's getting stuck and what all those haiku are. It's found over 1000 haiku while I was writing this post.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1067

Postby SilentTimer » Wed May 13, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

I'M ZOMBIE-GOATEE, AND I'VE BEEN LEARNUNG MATHS FROM LMJB1964. THIS IS MY FRIEND ZOMBIE-AZULE_S, AND THE NUMBER OF LETTERS IN MY NAME MULTIPLIED BY THAT IN XES NAME IS 144, CXXXXIIII IN ROMAN NUMERALS, OR 10010000 IN BASE 2. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the rope?
Spoiler:
HES, BlueCrab, azule, and BlueCrab again did.
(When Cueball was abseiling there was tension on the rope. Now it's dangling slackly from the tree.)
… the new parts of the collapsing BlueCave?
Spoiler:

mscha

Time Revisited - np1314

Postby mscha » Wed May 13, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

INTERABUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IN THE AFOREWHEN, NO-ONE CAN SEE YOU MOLPY ABOUT

-- posted by oldpixbot

ergman

TIME 2: SPACE

Postby ergman » Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

This just in:

Randall considers Time "not the worst".

TIME 2 CONFIRMED
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

BFTF-0871

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

ON SOVIET XKPLAINXKCD, STORMONGEL HOTDOGS YOU -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.

-- posted by lmjbot

ggh

I'm in the past

Postby ggh » Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

More ketchup from 2299:

Wow, June Bug - two meetups!? That's pretty awesomeful! I love hearing about these, and I will be so happy when I get to experience one myself. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't met the other NZ OTTers yet, but I haven't been down to Christchurch since before the Little Wonder was born. I'm hoping to visit the US this year though, so maybe I can manage one then. :)

SilentTimer wrote:SAVE THE PUNGOAT, SAVE THE WORLD -- ongomome
Did you notice …
… the raptor?
Spoiler:
Its way of flying is characteristic for this species.

peregrine falcon?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 13, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

Waitfor it, there are NZ OTTers? I was in NZ for about four months just recently (and missed the European meetup because of it, though also because I was in the basement), and in Wellington for almost two whole days of that. If only I'd thought about meeting ggh. Oh well, I found things to do. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 13, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Re: NO, FORELOCK, YOU ARE THE MUSTARDINESS

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Makes mental note to never underestimate OTTers tendencies to take a throwaway TV show reference way too seriously

Oh. :oops: Uhh, could you tell me what the TV reference was? If they make formal logic jokes, it might be something I'd like.

As I said in the original post...
yappobiscuits wrote:Also because your subject line reminded me of recent happenings in Orphan Black...
All raptorcats are molpies. No raptorcat is molpish. Conclusion: Not all molpies are molpish. True or false?

...Orphan Black. To give context, season 3 started a few weeks ago and (trying to avoid spoilers) we've been introduced to a group of soldiers who are given mental tests in the form of such syllogism-based questions. I was really just throwing the reference out there on the off-chance there were other fans of the show around here!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mrob27

BLUENHANCING 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO

Postby mrob27 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:44 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I pasted Sciscitor's new text file into Haiku Detector, […] [it found] 12812 haiku. I think maybe feeding it a text file that includes the posts where I put all the previously-found haiku was a bad idea. :D (Although, even then, 12812 seems excessive. […])

I tried the whole OTT on my program, and I also got the latest "needle_pulled_thing.zip" from @Sciscitor, and compared it to two earlier versions. I got these results (combined with our earlier-reported results):

software:  - - - mrob27 - - -        Angelastic
   sourcetext:  Sciscitor   mrob27        Sciscitor
 Newpages
  369                         980            802
  686              2367      2316
  1486             6438      5828
  2268            10579      9298         ≧ 12812
  2307                       9456

(Edit: Add more stats, directly comparing results from my program running on the @Sciscitor plaintext as compared to my own plaintext. My plaintext filters out semicolons, which makes for fewer kaiku.)
  My program also filters out duplicates, but my source text includes quotes which adds a few extra haiku in cases where there is new text in a quote that did not appear anywhere else (Acts of the Clerics and the Madness are two really good examples of when that happens). Oddly I get more haiku from Sciscitor's file which has fewer NP worth of text than I do from my own text-dump of the OTT :?
  Anyway, if 12812 turns out to be your full count (maybe it stopped responding only at the very end when trying to close the speech channel or something) then I think that's a reasonable result :)

@SilentTimer, when I saw "abseiling" I thought it was a German word with an Englische ending, and it is :).

ergman wrote:TIME 2 CONFIRMED

You left out a bunch of elaborate and overcomplex steps of dubious logic. The big question is, will Time 2 come before or after Half-Life 3?

yappobiscuits wrote:Orphan Black

:oops: Thanks! (syllogism-based questions also make me think of Logicat…)

— mrob27 Image
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu May 14, 2015 3:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 14, 2015 12:29 am UTC

Valarya wrote:

This is so awesomefully META and ridiculously AWESOME that I had to come here immediately. Only to find barely no one talking about it. It's the most META thing we've seen from the GLR in almost 2 yips, you xuys. Joyeux un temps!

Sorry, I was busy being pushed inexorably through m*stard, which is eating up all my Time time.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Rosencrantz

Postby Rosencrantz » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 am UTC

Hi OTT! I've been occasionally stopping in and looking at the words in this needle-pulled thing until my brain fuzzes, but never posted before (reason: no account, second reason: no brain).

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to Angelastic for making the Haiku Detector - just downloaded it and it's excellent (seaish?). Except apparently mrob27 previously made one? In any case, thank you to both of you and any other OTTers who may have had a part in this. And actually, the various other creations coming out of here. Y'all are some many-talented people. *applauds*

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1068

Postby SilentTimer » Thu May 14, 2015 1:00 am UTC

THAT'S IT! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOLPYCH*RPUNG COMAS ON THIS MOLPYCH*RPING PHONESAW! -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the Wheeled Thing?… what Ms. Frizzle is doing?
Spoiler:
She's connecting the Wheeled Thing to one end of Cueball's rope.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1318

Postby mscha » Thu May 14, 2015 1:10 am UTC

SAFEKEEPUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BECOME AN RAPTOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

Angelastic

Re: BLUENHANCING 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:  Anyway, if 12812 turns out to be your full count (maybe it stopped responding only at the very end when trying to close the speech channel or something) then I think that's a reasonable result :)

I don't think that's the full count, since the debug version stopped earlier, and it was not at the end. I'm pretty sure the problem was due to the memory usage getting too high; there's some new/changed memory-related stuff which I wasn't fully familiar with yet (I've been doing Cocoa since 2001 but haven't always had the Time to keep up with the changes in Objective-C, and lately I figured I could just skip learning the new stuff and use Swift instead, but Haiku Detector is still in Objective-C) and didn't think I'd need to worry about anyway because just how seaish a file would people paste into the thing, really? Anyway, I think I've fixed that, and I'm running it again right now, wondering whether to wait for it to finish before I coma. 6659 haiku found in 236553 sentences, so far.

Edit: The new file is nine times the size of the old one. I guess the highku count is not too surprising, although the haiku density is certainly higher than it was.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 14, 2015 2:39 am UTC

Bots are getting bored.
Haiku is in their crosshairs.
What will be the next?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ergman

Combo!

Postby ergman » Thu May 14, 2015 3:00 am UTC

SilentTimer wrote:THAT'S IT! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOLPYCH*RPUNG COMAS ON THIS MOLPYCH*RPING PHONESAW! -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the Wheeled Thing?

Double points!

I got logged out of the fora. Then I logged back in. That was the extent of today's excitement.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 14, 2015 3:09 am UTC

Bots may self-destruct.
Haiku are in their crosshairs?
Bots are making them!

(Edit: but, as this unintentional haiku says:

The Bots have done it
all in one night. They can do
anything they like.
)

Really, I think the reason there are now 16665 haiku in 671481 sentences is that so many bots are posting short sentences. Example:

Spoiler: Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel -- posted by
oldpixbot Thank you.

(here, apparently OTT is pronounced ott.) There's particularly a lot of
Spoiler:
Wait for it

NOT TO BE CONFUSED
WITH STARRY UNG . -- ong o mome
Spoiler: Wait for it.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED
WITH WAITING FOR IT . -- ong o
mome Spoiler: LOOK OUT!

I don't know what these are about:

3     RD    blue    blue      4
RxD      2 RxD
DIN-5     4           red                                      plug

7           white   white     3
Gnd      3 Gnd
3     8           gray     9           brown

Anyway, I think we can agree that understanding is:

Only possible
with a great knowledge of both
OTTish and English.

And the rest is a
bloodbath history. Bag pun? Bag
pun?! VITSSÅGEN, JA!

We slow up but we
never will stop, so let the
posts go up, go up…

I know CGI.
Let's do it! And I did it!
It took me some time.

Anyway, I have to molpy down, so here's a nice one (maybe intentional?) about molpying down.

Like strange and charming
Molpy up and molpy down:
Sunrise and sunset.

And some more:

Thank you very much.
And with that, molpy down. ...but
I don't wanna sleep!

Molpy down. Spoiler:
CAAAKE CAAAKE Oohhh
it's a caaake.

When I tried to paste 2.4MB of haiku into one post, the forum software said Your message contains too few characters. I think I overflowed an integer. So here's a text file.

Edits:
OMR:

haveRelationship(); }
catch (BreakupException ex) {
throw ex; // just get out!

throw ex; // just get out! }
Warning: throwing people may
be bad for your back.

:D

And what is this?

Nope W? a?
i? [tfor]? it? Nope, nope and nope.
Sorry b? d? e?

a? i? [tfor]? it? Nope,
nope and nope. Sorry b? d?
e? f? g? h? j?

Heeeyyyy, was somebody selling butter in my absence?

I'm looking for it.
I DON'T want to remember
the last butterflood.
Last edited by Angelastic on Thu May 14, 2015 3:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 14, 2015 3:21 am UTC

OTThercomic Time!

And an OtherComicification:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

1523ott_1.png
1523ott_1.png (53.54 KiB) Viewed 101784 times
otc3082_ott.png
1523ott_2.png
1523ott_2.png (62.18 KiB) Viewed 101784 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mrob27

TIME. IT WORKS, CH*RPIES.

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:58 am UTC

I've updated my OTT HTML-to-text export to count colons and semicolons as "sentence separators", which increases my haiku counts considerably (compare to my previous post). A lot of mine are rubbish, because my poetry scanner doesn't bother to ignore stuff like this.

software:  - - - mrob27 - - -        Angelastic
   sourcetext:  Sciscitor   mrob27        Sciscitor
 Newpages
  369                        1199            802
  686              2367      2830
  1486             6438      7176
  2268            10579     11512         ≧ 12812
  2309                      11713

Angelastic wrote:… apparently OTT is pronounced ott

Yes, it's a name and Apple Speech Manager seems to think that's more significant than the initialism. That's why I have an OTT-specific dictionary file. The dictionaries, effectively a cache of the Speech Manager output, also massively accelerate Haiku searching. My poetry scanner, an interpreted Perl script, scans through all 92347 posts and 10.18 million words of the OTT plaintext in 116 seconds.

Heeeyyyy, was somebody selling butter in my absence?

Not selling, but measuring, yes. I sought to augment the OTT system of weights and measures with a weight measurement based on suitably OTTish quantities and substances. To that end I decided the unit of weight should be the ppb, or primordial pixel of butter. (As you might expect, 1000 ppb is one ppm, and so on.)
  Since you were not available, I went to @lmjb1964. You recall that back on NP489 you granted her a buttermongery license, and I took a wild guess and suggested that might also qualify for purposes of scientific research. I solicited her assistance on NP 2114, and the experiment was performed. We announced our findings at OTT:2119:19. Conversion factors between SI and NQP (newpix-cueball-ppb) units are also in that post.

— mrob27 Image

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Thu May 14, 2015 4:11 am UTC

the mrONGbdex story continues.

like. There were frequent simulated mishaps (in the most common, Cueball would fall off the wowterfall cliff rather than merely dropping something into the river; in another the OTTers would everywhere use the word *grapevine* in place of *molpy* and vice-versa), and Mrorl would have to restart a simulation, moving a stone here or a shrub there to ensure a different result, or run his simulations in greater detail. To accommodate this, Mrorl kept adding auxiliary processing units to his Botcastle, and eventually entire additional botcastles; and even a few casbottles (which were similar to botcastles, but specially designed to contain simulations involving semencoffeecancerbabies or other liquids).
  Soon he had a seaish metropolis: rack upon rack of equipment billowing heat and festooned with blinking lights; cluttered with input consoles, display terminals, ventilation ducts and fans, and printers (both paper and 2.5-D) to produce a permanent record of results in case the entire thing caught fire, or became sentient and demanded coffee and biscuits -- at which point Mrorl would reluctantly but firmly pull the plug, wipe everything and start over with a fresh simulation matrix and a different set of parametrised equations. This he needed to do only twice. Otherwise everything went quite molpishly, and the OTTish cultures within his botcastles proceeded through their chaotic beginnings, the formation of religions and the trial of the Reckoning, into the age of specialisation and diversification, a nap beneath the stars, Rosetta's audience-chamber at ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ, and the anticipated trauma and inevitible shock of T**** ****d -- which always gave the machine a few nasty jolts (Mrorl made sure to wear rubber-soled shoes and always hold one hand behind his back when turning dials) -- and into the glorious RenOTTissance in which a simulated community of TimeWaiters would undertake to OTTify All The Things in their entire world.
  The inhabitants of each virtual OTTiverse developed their own cultural norms, habits, and Ways to Time. Some of these Mrorl found to be almost universal, such that each simulated OTT would invariably hit upon them, regardless of other differences such as level of tolerance of puns, or preference for or against wearing hats. A few of these Mrorl codified as his Three Laws of OTTics^{2}, for use in future botbuilding projects.
  Newpage after Newpage of simulated OTT culture generated mountains of output; soon Mrorl needed a new warehouse just to store these. All to construct an OTTronic Bard! -- but such are the Ways of Science. Eventually enough culture had been created that Mrorl could select and combine the best

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 am UTC

Rosencrantz wrote:Hi OTT! I've been occasionally stopping in and looking at the words in this needle-pulled thing until my brain fuzzes, but never posted before (reason: no account, second reason: no brain).

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to Angelastic for making the Haiku Detector - just downloaded it and it's excellent (seaish?). Except apparently mrob27 previously made one? In any case, thank you to both of you and any other OTTers who may have had a part in this. And actually, the various other creations coming out of here. Y'all are some many-talented people. *applauds*

Hi Rosencrantz - nice to meet you! My brain's always fuzzy. If yours is only passing in and out of fuzziness, it seems like you're ahead of the game. :)

ETA curiONGsity:

ETAA a few responses to NP2300:
Caprice, it's really fun hearing your tunes. I'd love to see someone to accompany them with interpretive dance someday as well. :)

mrob and Link, I totally agree with your webpage design views. When I'm navigating a website, I shouldn't feel like I'm playing one of those arcade games of the 80s where if you jump for no reason in the middle of the screen, you get points from the invisible coin that was suspended over your head. And tangentially: who decided that icons are always easier to understand than words? That goes for the IRL too. I have no idea what half the symbols on my oven mean. I think I heard that cars aren't allowed to use words so that language isn't a barrier to understanding important warnings. When a red light comes on on my dashboard in the shape of an icon that means nothing to me, that's not an improvement. If it was a warning written in Welsh, I could at least look it up. {/rant}

svenman, I love the work you're doing on th wiki - thanks for that!
Last edited by ggh on Thu May 14, 2015 5:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu May 14, 2015 4:54 am UTC

Everything's haiku now. Even if you don't know it, you still write haiku.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1069

Postby SilentTimer » Thu May 14, 2015 5:00 am UTC

I'M WORKUNG TO CREATE A WOWTERFUL MOLPIDILLO THAT WILL ETERNALLY OTTCOLORISE ANYMOLPY WHO FAILED TO CORINNE THE HES'S CHUPAMOLPY PEOPLE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the new parts of the collapsing BlueCave?
Spoiler:
… what Ms. Frizzle is doing?
Spoiler:
She has grasped the meaning of a new Unglish word and uses it to express that the Wheeled Thing is ready for getting lifted.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1322

Postby mscha » Thu May 14, 2015 5:10 am UTC

GLOZUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS OTTIFY NEATNESS

-- posted by oldpixbot

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu May 14, 2015 8:05 am UTC

Rosencrantz wrote:Hi OTT! I've been occasionally stopping in and looking at the words in this needle-pulled thing until my brain fuzzes, but never posted before (reason: no account, second reason: no brain).

Oh – a firstpost! :)
Your brain fuzzes? Then this place is for you. ;) Welcome!

At first I thought your avatar was another hamply, similar to HES.
Then I noticed some similarity to the Sandmännchen.

Rosencrantz wrote:I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to Angelastic for making the Haiku Detector - just downloaded it and it's excellent (seaish?).

I guess you're looking for “awesomeful”. But “excellent” is treeish⁴, too.
“Seaish” (and footnote “¹”) means “big”.
And “riverish” (and footnote “²”) means “small”.
⁴: And “treeish” means “neat”.

ggh wrote:ETA curiONGsity:

Prediction: She'll have a look at these messages.

ggh wrote:mrob and Link, I totally agree with your webpage design views. When I'm navigating a website, I shouldn't feel like I'm playing one of those arcade games of the 80s where if you jump for no reason in the middle of the screen, you get points from the invisible coin that was suspended over your head. And tangentially: who decided that icons are always easier to understand than words? That goes for the IRL too. I have no idea what half the symbols on my oven mean. I think I heard that cars aren't allowed to use words so that language isn't a barrier to understanding important warnings. When a red light comes on on my dashboard in the shape of an icon that means nothing to me, that's not an improvement. If it was a warning written in Welsh, I could at least look it up. {/rant}

I totally agree. {rant}
Spoiler:
When I was an undergraduate, I used a latest-state-of-the-art Integrated Development Environment (IDE) with pull-down menus, a WordStar-like editor, visual debugger, and so on. Then everyone else switched over to the mouse and icons which made it less comfortable for me. Instead of following them, I tried out bash, vim, make, etc. – and found out that they are much more comfortable than even the IDE I was using before. Now I'm using them together with screen, pentadactyl, and tools² like xsel. I almost never need to use the mouse.
{/rant}
Spoiler:
BTW, my favourite (and self-written :–) markup language for creating web pages features tags like {menu}…{/menu}.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1070

Postby SilentTimer » Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 am UTC

DIAL D FOR DILGUNNERUNGS -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… what Cueganzzle are doing?
Spoiler:
Cueball is pulling the rope to raise the Wheeled Thing. (The crank levers are prominently visible at the upper end.) Megan is supporting him, holding the bottom part of the Wheeled Thing in place. Ms. Frizzle takes care of the dangling rope, so it doesn't get entangled in the plants.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:10 am UTC

Wow, a firstpost! Treeish! Welcome, Rosencrantz.

Steakish OTTifications. Zooman!

Must coma now. See you all tomorrip.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 14, 2015 10:58 am UTC

Rosencrantz wrote:I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to Angelastic for making the Haiku Detector - just downloaded it and it's excellent (seaish?). Except apparently mrob27 previously made one?

Why, thank you! I somehow didn't notice this post until other people quoted it. I made Haiku Detector first, and used the thread simply as a large (seaish) body of text to test it on. This inspired many intentional haiku, and also apparently inspired mrob27 to make a haiku detector (among other things? I haven't been keeping up with the thread lately; I just popped in to announce the new version.)

balthasar_s wrote:Everything's haiku now. Even if you don't know it, you still write haiku.

I see what you did there. But, too many syllables. Look at the first line.

I feel like ottifying this song now.

Everything's haiku (Everything's haiku.)
There are ways to write those poems
when you don't try to! (Everything's haiku)
It doesn't matter if you don't know'em.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu May 14, 2015 12:26 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:At first I thought your avatar was another hamply, similar to HES.
The Sandmännchen was my first thought when I saw the avatar.
I counted everything as 3. I didn't read one 'e'.

haiku wrote:I know CGI.
Let's do it! And I did it!
It took me some time.

I'm looking for it.
I DON'T want to remember
the last butterflood.

I remember writing this. But there was a quote betwen the first and second line in the butterflood haiku.

I'll no longer have the bike that you could see in my related films.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 14, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:At first I thought your avatar was another hamply, similar to HES.
The Sandmännchen was my first thought when I saw the avatar.
I counted everything as 3. I didn't read one 'e'.

Which of the other syllables in that line did you not read? :)
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”