In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

krogoth

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby krogoth » Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 am UTC

For me this always comes down to, no religion owns marriage. Christians marry, Hindu marry, Athiests marry, if a religious group want to block marriage on religious grounds, they should have to block all other religions and non religious marriages, and there is no way that's ever going to happen.

Should that be want or wants? they both work in my head.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon May 25, 2015 12:39 am UTC

Wants. Becomes "want" for "religious groups".

Edit: Varies by region, apparently. Probably agrees here.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Mon May 25, 2015 1:48 am UTC

I'm using it as a singular collective noun, I think it sounds okay. I'm more of an AU-English speaker rather than a US-English speaker, so I think it is closer to my dialect as it's currently written.

Thanks Deva for the pointers.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Tue May 26, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

Barack Obama cancels state of national emergency over Russia's uranium stockpile.

Not amusing in itself, but the article notes that this brings the United States down to a mere thirty-two pending states of national emergency, including our emergency posture reacting to the Iranian hostage crisis that ended over 34 years ago.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue May 26, 2015 9:41 pm UTC

allowed Russia to sell 500 megatons of enriched uranium

Now that is a lot of enriched uranium.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

allowed Russia to sell 500 megatons of enriched uranium

Now that is a lot of enriched uranium.

Enough to give every single person on earth their own personal nuke, with enough spare to sterilize Mars.

Methinks they mean "the amount of uranium necessary to make a total yield of 500 megatons."

Still several thousand nukes. So still a lot of uranium
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue May 26, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Taco Bell will, instead of using black pepper flavoring, use actual black pepper.

I am having a hard time believing there is ANYTHING artificial they could use for flavoring that's actually cheaper than black pepper.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Tue May 26, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Taco Bell will, instead of using black pepper flavoring, use actual black pepper.

I am having a hard time believing there is ANYTHING artificial they could use for flavoring that's actually cheaper than black pepper.

According to this, unscrupulous vendors mix papaya seeds into black pepper to keep the costs down. I can't find anyone who asked Taco Bell what the hell they've been serving us instead of black pepper all these years, but maybe it's something along these lines.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 am UTC

I do know that Tim Horton's Jalapeno Bagels use artificial black pepper seasoning and diced Anaheim peppers (larger, cheaper, milder). I mean, hey, close enough, right?

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed May 27, 2015 2:46 am UTC

Sara Lee sells a "blueberry bagel" that has blueberry flavored apple pieces. Structurally it's about a far from a bagel as you can get.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 27, 2015 3:12 am UTC

It blows my mind what's cheaper on the industrial scale. My constant go-to is it's cheaper for my son's shoes to be partially assembled in Canada, loaded onto a cargo box, shipped to China, unloaded, glued, re-loaded, shipped back to Canada, and then the assembly is finished, than to actually use a glue that's legal in Canada. (Also, they get to claim the shoes are Made Right Here In Canada that way.)

Marvel at the modern age!

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed May 27, 2015 4:48 am UTC

Tirian wrote:According to this, unscrupulous vendors mix papaya seeds into black pepper to keep the costs down.

Which is curious, because papaya seeds share very few culinary properties with black pepper aside from "black".
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 27, 2015 1:05 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It blows my mind what's cheaper on the industrial scale. My constant go-to is it's cheaper for my son's shoes to be partially assembled in Canada, loaded onto a cargo box, shipped to China, unloaded, glued, re-loaded, shipped back to Canada, and then the assembly is finished, than to actually use a glue that's legal in Canada. (Also, they get to claim the shoes are Made Right Here In Canada that way.)

Marvel at the modern age!

Bulk shipping is actually pretty cheap. Labor and regulation can get surprisingly expensive. So, some supply chains end up way, way more complex than perhaps they should be. Fuel efficiency on those big ships are pretty amazing,

Oddly, the total costs and delay for dealing with beaucracy for importing a cargo container worth of goods usually exceeds the actual shipping time/cost. So, the whole scenario basically exists as an artifact of trying to minimize compliance costs, with other costs being fairly minimal by comparison.

World's a crazy place.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed May 27, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Sara Lee sells a "blueberry bagel" that has blueberry flavored apple pieces. Structurally it's about a far from a bagel as you can get.

Subway's raspberry cheesecake cookies have no raspberries; raspberry bits (as listed on the box) consist of artificial raspberry flavoring and food coloring.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed May 27, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I do know that Tim Horton's Jalapeno Bagels use artificial black pepper seasoning and diced Anaheim peppers (larger, cheaper, milder). I mean, hey, close enough, right?

PAstrychef wrote:Sara Lee sells a "blueberry bagel" that has blueberry flavored apple pieces. Structurally it's about a far from a bagel as you can get.

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Subway's raspberry cheesecake cookies have no raspberries; raspberry bits (as listed on the box) consist of artificial raspberry flavoring and food coloring.

Eww. Remind me never to eat fast food in the USA (or any other country without decent food labelling laws). AFAIK all of those would be illegal in the UK (product labelling must not be misleading, which generally means that if a food is named after an ingredient it must contain that ingredient).

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Eww. Remind me never to eat fast food in the USA (or any other country without decent food labelling laws). AFAIK all of those would be illegal in the UK (product labelling must not be misleading, which generally means that if a food is named after an ingredient it must contain that ingredient).

We have *some* laws on the matter, they just have loopholes in some respects. And mostly, people have a pretty good idea of what the fake things are. Everyone is pretty much aware that the various "flavors" of freeze-pops or whatever are not actually accurate. In fact, we tend to refer to them by color instead of whatever the label is on the box. The fake banana, fake cherry, or whatever have distinct flavors, but they are not very likely to be confused with the real thing.

Also, Tim Horton's is mostly a canada thing. So, that might be not just US either.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed May 27, 2015 5:25 pm UTC

Ah, okay, it's not so bad if everyone knows what the fake stuff is - there's plenty of fake stuff in the UK, it's just blindingly obvious because it will be called something like "blueberry flavour" rather than "blueberry". I'm not actually against the fake stuff being sold, just against it being sold misleadingly.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 27, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

I love how when the food laws changed in Canada regarding what needs to be in chocolate for it to be called chocolate, SO MANY PRODUCTS very, very quietly changed the word "chocolate" to "chocolatey" on their labels. Because it's not chocolate, but it is chocolatey...

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed May 27, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Is it fake? y

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed May 27, 2015 6:32 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:

Subway's raspberry cheesecake cookies have no raspberries; raspberry bits (as listed on the box) consist of artificial raspberry flavoring and food coloring.

RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE Enriched bleached flour (flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), sugar, margarine (palm oil, water, soybean oil, salt, mono- and diglycerides, natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene), white chips (sugar, palm kernel and palm oil, nonfat dry milk, soy lecithin, vanilla), eggs, raspberry bits (dextrose, palm oil, sugar, corn flour, raspberry powder, natural flavor, citric acid, blueberry and carrot extracts), Neufchatel cheese (pasteurized milk and cream, cheese culture, salt, stabilizer [carob bean and/or guar and/or xanthan gums]), invert sugar, maltodextrin, natural and artificial flavors, baking soda, potassium chloride, yellow 5.

It doesn't say artificial flavor, it says raspberry powder, which I would guess labeling laws would require that to be actual powdered raspberries, otherwise they would have to say artificial flavor or give the ingredients that make up raspberry powder.

I think we have similar laws in the US as the UK; you have to have "flavored" if it doesn't contain that ingredient. How much of the ingredient it needs to contain is another matter.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed May 27, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz- ... ov/2231151

Jeb Bush's mother-in-law has Alzheimer's, so now he is talking about how we must increase funding for Alzheimer's research. The article points out that while he was Governor of Florida, he vetoed budget items that targeted Alzheimer's research and treatment.

Ass.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:I think we have similar laws in the US as the UK; you have to have "flavored" if it doesn't contain that ingredient. How much of the ingredient it needs to contain is another matter.

That's a common dodge. And yeah, ingredients have to be listed on the label, but they might just slap "Natural and artificial flavors" there at the end. Which is kind of a catch all.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/jeb-wants-more-funding-for-alzheimers-but-he-voted-spending-on-it-as-gov/2231151

Jeb Bush's mother-in-law has Alzheimer's, so now he is talking about how we must increase funding for Alzheimer's research. The article points out that while he was Governor of Florida, he vetoed budget items that targeted Alzheimer's research and treatment.

Ass.

Wait... are you seriously telling me a politician is using their power of public office to do something self-serving?!

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Thesh wrote:http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/jeb-wants-more-funding-for-alzheimers-but-he-voted-spending-on-it-as-gov/2231151

Ass.

Wait... are you seriously telling me a politician is using their power of public office to do something self-serving?!

Any research done now is unlikely to help his mother in law, sadly. So the more charitable interpretation would be that he "saw the light". It's actually the honorable thing to do to reverse your public stance based on new information. Not very republican, it seems to me.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 27, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

speising wrote:Any research done now is unlikely to help his mother in law, sadly. So the more charitable interpretation would be that he "saw the light". It's actually the honorable thing to do to reverse your public stance based on new information. Not very republican, it seems to me.

Yeah, some part of me wanted to believe that, and I am happy when research money accidentally finds its way into the hands of researchers... but flip-flopping on people's lives still irks me.

IRKS.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
Website doing scummy things is maybe not big news, but sourceforge is well known enough that I found it worth mentioning. Also wow if it doesn't turn out they were hacked or something I will avoid that site in the future.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

The Republican party has given up on young people and minorities, so it is all the more essential now that old white people not develop dementia and forget to go vote.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/
Website doing scummy things is maybe not big news, but sourceforge is well known enough that I found it worth mentioning. Also wow if it doesn't turn out they were hacked or something I will avoid that site in the future.

I've been hearing dodgy stuff about sourceforge for a little while. I don't think they're entirely to be trusted any more.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/

Looks like it wasn't a hack, Sourceforge has said the account for GIMP and other programs were "abandoned", so to ..ahem.. "show support" for those independent developers they locked out the original developers and took over the accounts.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu May 28, 2015 12:55 am UTC

Very unfortunate. I had a lot of trust in SourceForge... but not any more after that crap.

I hope they can explain wtf is going on. GIMP is one of the most major OSS tools. It is the height of stupidity for them to try and do shenanigans with that project.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu May 28, 2015 1:07 am UTC

Well, luckily the projects won't cease to exist, they will just be moved to GitHub if they haven't been already. Really bad move on SourceForge's part, but I feared it would all go down when they were purchased a few years back.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu May 28, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Yeah, some part of me wanted to believe that, and I am happy when research money accidentally finds its way into the hands of researchers... but flip-flopping on people's lives still irks me.

Flopping to the right side of things eventually isn't as good as being right to begin with, but it's better than the alternative.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Thu May 28, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu May 28, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

"We have hit a road block in our ability to arrest hipsters. Nevertheless, we will not let this stop us. Instead, we will find ways to declare anything that they do to be illegal!"

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu May 28, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

That man clearly is breaking the law. OF GRAVITY.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri May 29, 2015 12:36 am UTC

I was very confused as to whether these were boulder police as in police who police boulders or police who police in Boulder. As it turns out, they're kinda both. Those damned Boulder boulder police, policing Boulder boulder builders.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 29, 2015 1:20 am UTC

Tirian wrote:

That man clearly is breaking the law. OF GRAVITY.

What a strange talent.
It's nice to know Boulder supports its boulder stackers.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 29, 2015 4:15 am UTC

If one Bolder doesn't support another, the whole thing collapses.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 am UTC

Those are very interesting, actually.

I support the longstanding tradition of Cairn making.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 29, 2015 5:42 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I was very confused as to whether these were boulder police as in police who police boulders or police who police in Boulder. As it turns out, they're kinda both. Those damned Boulder boulder police, policing Boulder boulder builders.

Police police Police police police police Police police
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “News & Articles”