1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:00 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Still waiting for an OTC T-shirt.
Actually, I buy most of my shirts OTC.

oh help i'm sorry i'm sorry i couldn't resist the pun

Hypocritical punsawyer, JA!

ETA: Whoops.
Spoiler:
Optional decree:
Find worthy punishments
for my punsaw hypocrisy.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

THIS IS SEAISH POPE, I MUST BLUENHANCE IT

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:48 pm UTC

Our raftcastle, having finished its epsilonish journey to the mountains, has reached a new river, but this river is being a little more riverish than usual due to an unusual lack of skywater. Thus the raftcastle is unable to go down the river without the risk of much $SCRAAAAAPE$ing and CRUNCHing. We're going to stay where we are for a dip and then probably switch to some other kind of castle.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

Recent Drawception panel for the prompt "Randall Munroe's worst fear."
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

And our greatest wish!

TIME1:The Great Wait
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np897

Postby mscha » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:00 am UTC

PAPERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:CROUCHING HOTDOG, HIDDEN WIP

-- posted by randompixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:41 am UTC

It would be molpish to be on that beach right now; there's been something of a heat wave around here lately.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 am UTC

For decree:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl should be sentenced to drawing someone's worst fear! Image

Baobabs!

(Fortunately, if GLR cannot overcome his fear and give us Time 2, we have Time 1+i.)

Drawception wrote:Drawn in 9 minutes 30 seconds!

More Baobabs!
Spoiler:
(colorisation by mscha)
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Oh and is there a summary page or listing or wiki page for Time after Time in general, and keeping track of who made what when and where, specifically?
I'd hoped to find a wiki page for TaT but my search was without webvenience.

I believe this is the page you want; svenman's done a steakish job of keeping it up-to-date. ...

Thank you all for your praise, but I really must pass on most of the credit in this case: The TimeAfterTime wiki page was started by patzer, and most of the coverage of the various Time after Time series was done by xim and others (mainly waveney, azule and Sustainabilizer) during a time when I was firmly in the basement. I only reported the e** of BFTF, covered Balthasar's making-of posts since then and added a fair number of Time after Time-related manips (which might by now be worthwhile to spin off into their own wiki page, I guess).

Greetings to our newly revealed blitzers!

And I see mikrit has been posting on the thread again! Roligt att se dig igen här! (And happy 300, by the way!) I have already called you this (worded slightly differently) in PM, but let's make this official now:

Mikrit, by the authority vested in me as a perfectly ordinary denizen of the One True Thread I herewith confer on you the title of
First and Eldest of Ottificators.

Steakish! Is it okay if I imagine a giant spider looking over Randall's shoulder from just outside of the panel? :twisted:

And while I'm posting anyway: Here is a new

Wikification Report

Stuff that I've encountered in on of my sub-blitzes or done on the wiki since my last report, or had previously but not yet reported on:

• NP11: The first prediction that the One True Comic might keep updating for months.

• NP16: azule's guess at the OTC's duration was less accurate, but his hunch that the comic's story might turn out to be not so simple after all was spot-on.

• NP314: cmyk's OTC manip isn't online anymore under the original link, but it has been preserved on the OTT Mirror. This seems to be true for other manips by cmyk on the following pages as well, so I have decided to provide a link to the post on the OTT Mirror in addition to the post on the OTT.

To make it easier to link to both from the wiki, I have created a template "ottlink-m" which, given the post ID as first argument ("3326408" in this case), automatically creates both the OTT and the OTT Mirror links. The second argument is the anchor text for the OTT link ("NP314" in this case). Usage example here at the entry for timeframe #574.

For the sake of compatibility, I have also made a template "ottlink" which leaves out the OTT Mirror link given the same arguments, but so far it hasn't been used because there is no real advantage to just creating the OTT link the old-fashioned way in this case.

• NP980: This really seems to be what establishes the usage of "ch*rp" as an OTTish expletive. On NP978, when the pagepope's decree mandated the use of the term, it had obviously still been innocuous; the pagepope decree on NP979 banning its use was clearly made to contrast the previous one rather than out of a desire to censor profanity.

• NP987: OTTish terms for units of time are being discussed, and an effort is made to regularize their usage. Ni ni ni ni...

• NP993: yappobiscuits remixed a recording by Marsh'n, but the link to the soundfile is dead. Do you still have the file around somewhere, yappo?

• NP1478: The thread somehow gets derailed in my pants and stays that way for the next few NPs.

• NP2351: The second time a manip on the XKCDSW thread using the OTC gets mentioned, so I added that one to the wiki too... and made a template "swlink" for links to the SW thread. First argument is, again, the post ID, second argument the thread page number. Still undecided if I should shorten the anchor text to just "XKCDSW202" (for this example).

And here an updated list of the pages of the One True Thread that I have covered in my Wikischizoblitz so far:

• 1 – 16
  • 310 – 314 (new sub-blitz)
  • 864 – 880
  • 967 – 994 (another gap closing)
  • 997 – 1013
  • 1329 – 1340
  • 1400 – 1412
  • 1445 – 1482 (the gap before 1472 has been closed!)
  • 1599 – 1622
  • 1676 – 1708
  • 1966 – 1974
  • 2125 – 2351 (oops, need to catch up with the present again)

Molpy on!
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:07 am UTC

svenman wrote: I only reported the e** of BFTF, covered Balthasar's making-of posts since then

I was also doing some making-of posts when it was still ONGing.

I will be Outside from tomorrow until 10.8.
I'm going on a long walk.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

... XE'S JUST A FEW SPARROW-RAPTORS SHY OF A GAZEBO

Postby mrob27 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:06 pm UTC

All the way to the mountains, @@balthawalker? Bring a bag.

<q.svenman: [NP980|#p3395819]: This really seems to be what establishes the usage of "ch*rp" as an OTTish expletive. On NP978, when the pagepope's decree mandated the use of the term, it had obviously still been innocuous; the pagepope decree on NP979 banning its use was clearly made to contrast the previous one rather than out of a desire to censor profanity.:>

Check my usage examples, http://mrob.com/time/omd.html#l_c and in particular:

"Enhancement bots, activate! Hope that summons the right thing. *chirp*" (@Valarya, OTT:783:24)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

NoMouse

I THINK I PREFER TO THINK OF MANIP-THWAPPING AS A THING.

Postby NoMouse » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

*SQUEEEEAK*

Wow, the basement door should get oiled. Oh my--- the light, I can't see... My eyes are not used to it.
*slowly opens the eyes*
*sees OTTers staring at him*

Eh.. hello there. How are you? I haven't forget. I was just being busy finishing the university. A mip ago, I successfully defended my diploma thesis and now I'm officially an engineer of industrial design. In Czech Republic, this means I'm allowed to write the title "Ing." before my name - do not confuse with "ONG". So, one of the busiest months in my life are behind me. Now I have not-yet-a-full-Time job but it's a job in my field of study, so everything is going quite well.

Ok, so that was a little bit egocentric paragraph, what about y'all? I see the needle-pulled thing is still going at its usual pace. Wowterful. I know the last time I was asking for some sort of summary of The Conference I couldn't unfortunately attend but it was too soon. Is the Time now? And have I missed some other important stuff? Oh my GLR, this is still too egocentric, sorry.

So, do you know what brought me back? I mean, I definitely planned to show up after I finished the school, but today I was reading some YouTube comment and there was the word Lucky capitalized without apparent reason. I immediately thought of the OTT. I was thinking maybe it was even an OTTer who wrote it. :) So I took it as a sign and decided to finally crawl out of the basement.

Here's a little present present:

It's an OTColorization made by a dreaming computer. If you haven't heard of it, Google has released it's neural network algorithm that is trying to understand what's in a picture and they made a tool that visualize what the computer sees. When they run the algorithm in multiple iterations, things start to immerse out of nowhere. It has learned from real pictures, now mostly from pictures of animals molpies and especially wolpies, that's why it is seeing them everywhere. :mrgreen: Here's a better and more detailed description from Google's blog

Even more interesting results could be probably made from already OTColorized frames, you can try it yourself with this online app:
https://dreamscopeapp.com/
There are several settings you can apply, the wolpies show up with the "Trippy" setting. :D

Spoiler:
wowtrees-dreamification.jpeg
starrynight-dreamification.jpeg
rosetta-dreamification.jpeg
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

svenman wrote:Roligt att se dig igen här!

Tack så mycket. Lusthus. Salva. Cembalo. Kredensbord. Stuga.

svenman wrote:(And happy 300, by the way!)

Oh, I hadn't noticed. So, I missed my opportunity to name a body part that is longer than it is wide? Darn! I'll have to wait until 400, then.

svenman wrote:I have already called you this (worded slightly differently) in PM, but let's make this official now:

Mikrit, by the authority vested in me as a perfectly ordinary denizen of the One True Thread I herewith confer on you the title of
First and Eldest of Ottificators.

Maybe I should learn to talk like Yoda and let my beard grow to my knees?
I am very grateful and I owe you an acceptance speech, but Cory Doctorow was busy, so instead I asked Percy Bysshe Shelley for some advice. Ahem.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Mik-Rit, First and Eldest:
Look on my works, ye Youngsters, and despair!'

Actually, "despair" is a little harsh. It is sufficient if you feel respectful envy. Or just non-envious admiration. Benevolent indifference is okay, too.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

Hi NoMouse! Image Wingish present present!

Molpish wikification, svenman! That's a seaish amount of wikifying!
I think I might have a copy of the yappo remix of Marsh'n if you can't reach yappo down in the basement.

And a wowterful title choice for mikrit - happy 300 posts, mikrit! *non-enviously admires* :mrgreen:

Edit, 6 nopix later:
It's pretty quiet on the wipend.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: I THINK I PREFER TO THINK OF MANIP-THWAPPING AS A THING.

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:03 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:*SQUEEEEAK*
Welcome forward!
Awesomeful present present, I was planning on doing that shortly so you saved me the effort :D
But the one that I did submit the other dip is complete!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:25 am UTC

Is that a cupcake hovering over the wolpy's head??
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

MOOLPY'S CLOSED DUE TO PASTPAGES

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Is that a cupcake hovering over the wolpy's head??

Yes.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

arranging into the words <*:WHAT, DON'T YOU TRUST US ANYMORE?:>, and the leopard turned into a keyboard and pounced on the mousepy, scattering technicians and clipboards everywhere; the Decryptor-General's succesor resigned. Never before in the Kingdom's history had intelligence officers have to be replaced so frequently. The War Banners, the Goats, even the Bonemeal, everything which the bOTTifactors returned

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:28 am UTC

It's also a little discomforting how many new eyes Beaniewolpy has sprouted - not all of them wolpy eyes.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:It's also a little discomforting how many new eyes Beaniewolpy has sprouted - not all of them wolpy eyes.
I'm wondering if they represent the all-seeing eyes of Google, or if the NSA infected the picture, or it has something to do with the eye in the pyramid on the US one dollar bill.

But mostly I think it's just ego.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:11 am UTC

Also I don't think it's purely a wolpy anymore since I definitely see a couple of raptor heads and maybe a turtlemolp in there too.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:54 am UTC

Aaaah! The eyes! The eyes are watching me!

Actually, that was a very cool post. Thanks, NoMouse. I read the google blog entry too, and there were some very artistic images there. Looks like they can emulate a pointillistic artist, or van Gogh.

Also, I get the feeling that they have trained their networks mainly on fantasy book covers. But I suppose that's because when you twist reality, you get fantasy. Jolly amazing.

(But the eyes! Like gimlets!)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:25 am UTC

I'm going to go check my baby wolpy for extra eyes now.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

I FIND YOUR LACK OF WINGISHNESS DISTURBING

Postby NoMouse » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:09 am UTC

DreamONGly
Dreamificated OTColorations work out very well. :mrgreen: Notice the literal riverish wolpy. And is that a kiwi carrying Cuegan? Let's continue.

Look, it's a wolpyfall!

Now this is horror stuff. The-Thing-like-three-headed-multilegged wolpy ate Cueball!

redundantly redundant
Spoiler:
OTColorization-Dreamification.jpeg

1931-dreamcolored.jpeg

1318-dreamcolored.jpg
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:35 pm UTC

Poor Cueball. Image On the other hand, I really like the wolpyfall.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:37 pm UTC

Whew! I didn't think I'd get away with that one!

I do notice that the wolpies and eyes bear a striking self-similarity - as if there's a platonic ideal wolpy that is emerging. Or, this is the first wolpy that google's dreamer encountered, and it has made a strong impression.

I wonder how susceptible deep dreaming is to one darkening pixel.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

I was gone for 48 longpix over the weekapixend. (Apparently I have these other Outsiders who I was going on a trip with, or something.) But I am back! Page 225, post 9000.

Most important of the events since post 8000 would be the closing of Mod Madness, and I'm used to thinking in Reckoningese (is that a word?) BlitzGirl has started reading the thread, it'll be insteresting to see what she thinks.
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"Sad no one got the Twilight Zone reference

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:08 am UTC

Seems a lot happened since my last communication. New blitzers, loopy OTTcoloreds, BlitzGirl getting a wolpy (Labrador? I had one once, the Destroyer of Gardens) and becoming hypo-critical.

This semester will see my free time severely reduced. November is going to be fun.

On the dOTT project, it seems mrob and I have different ideas on how to redundaOTTify:

mrob27 wrote:Each OTTer could post articles to a blog, social media, forum, personal website, or whatever best suits them personally. An army of bots each independently perform the function of reading all of the blogs, social streams, etc. of the OTTers and aggregating them together into something that presents the messages together and in chronological order, when the bot would make available publicly in some way (again, at the personal preference of the bot's owner).

Your idea seems similar to a Planet[1] [2], while mine could maybe be compared to a DVCS or BitTorrent.

mrob27 wrote:and without a single point of failure (except for any [single point of failure|http://xkcd.com/1005/] that might exist in the Internet as a whole)

For the Thread as a whole, yes. However, individual posts might cease to be along with the service they were posted on, if caches aren't in play.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:54 am UTC

username5243 wrote: BlitzGirl has started reading the thread, it'll be insteresting to see what she thinks.

It'll be interesting to see what you think about what I think! :D

AluisioASG wrote: BlitzGirl getting a wolpy (Labrador? I had one once, the Destroyer of Gardens)

Yes, chocolate Lab. He does like to chomp pansies, blackberry bushes, roses, rhododendrons, and pine cones. The pine cones are the most problematic.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:54 am UTC

ucim wrote:I do notice that the wolpies and eyes bear a striking self-similarity - as if there's a platonic ideal wolpy that is emerging.

As I read the article linked by Ing.NoMouse that's almost exactly how this algorithm works and what it serves for.
Ing.: Congratulations! :)

In other news, here's the
most seaish Molpy so far
in the mschaImageONGs!
Spoiler:

Also new OtherComic, featuring, among other things, Cueball and a rock. And some artificial intelligence.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

xkcd1556-20150801-0900.png
redundant-20150801-0900.jpg
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:<q.svenman: [NP980|#p3395819]: This really seems to be what establishes the usage of "ch*rp" as an OTTish expletive. On NP978, when the pagepope's decree mandated the use of the term, it had obviously still been innocuous; the pagepope decree on NP979 banning its use was clearly made to contrast the previous one rather than out of a desire to censor profanity.:>

Check my usage examples, http://mrob.com/time/omd.html#l_c and in particular:

"Enhancement bots, activate! Hope that summons the right thing. *chirp*" (@Valarya, OTT:783:24)

Thank you for pointing out that early example. On re-reading that page, however, I am not under the impression that "chirp" was indended as an expletive there, nor do I notice any context which makes me feel an expletive is fitting there, especially not as an OTTish equivalent to "f*ck". I rather sense that this is one more of the early examples where "chirp" is used as simply a random interjection, or a "metasyntactic word" in terms of the OMD.

BlitzGirl, you were the author of that post:
svenman wrote:
  • NP980: This really seems to be what establishes the usage of "ch*rp" as an OTTish expletive. On NP978, when the pagepope's decree mandated the use of the term, it had obviously still been innocuous; the pagepope decree on NP979 banning its use was clearly made to contrast the previous one rather than out of a desire to censor profanity.

Do you remember whether your usage of "chirp" in that post was based on precedent, or inventive?

In other news, recently I encountered something RELATED in my hometown (spoilered for seaishness):
Spoiler:

And after my latest wiki edit I found a really neat number on my user page (again, image spoilered for seaishness):
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
P1040149.jpg

2222 edits.png

redundawiki.png

ETA: Happy 400, Sustainabilizer!
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

StormAngel

Re: 1190: "Time can bring you down"

Postby StormAngel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:00 pm UTC

Welcome back to NoMouse and any other recently returned [syncronised?] OTTers!
And congratulations to NoMouse and Sustanabliser (and anymolpy else) for their respective achievements.

I found some interesting sandcastles for you:
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

username5243

Postby username5243 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:11 pm UTC

Thanks Blitzgirl! On another note, now I know why so many sigs have things encouraging Blitzgirl to keep going. I guess this is a regular custom of OTTers?
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 pm UTC

It is. We call it sigcouragement, and, IIRC, you're about to come across its first instance.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

Steakish molpy hunting, Sustainabilizer!
Wingish sandcastles, StormAngel!
Treeish Outside blitz find, svenman, and happy 2222 wiki edits!

svenman wrote:BlitzGirl, you were the author of that post:
svenman wrote:

Do you remember whether your usage of "chirp" in that post was based on precedent, or inventive?

I think the first time I actually intended to use ch*rp as an expletive was "pretty ch*rping soon" in this post, though I guess it might not have come off that way:

BlitzGirl, NP781 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Hello, my pretties. I trust you are having some fun and speculation?

We're mostly just chirping. Pretty chirping soon this whole chirpy thread will dechirp into nothing chirp chirps chirp chirping...chirp.

Anyway, by the Chirp of the Long Night circa 978, the usage was almost definitely based on precedent from the time of the chirpies in the trees (at least in my head). See also: NP790. But the "naughty word" quote is probably the first time I said explicitly that I was using it as an expletive, and maybe the first time I used the word "ch*rp" instead of "ch*rping", if that matters.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

I vaguely remember (it's the only way I know how to remember!) a post (by BlitzGirl?) saying that we need expletives in this thread, and suggesting the c word as a good possibility. I don't know if the m word was in use by then as an expletive, but if so it was fairly innocuous.

Jose

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I vaguely remember (it's the only way I know how to remember!) a post (by BlitzGirl?) saying that we need expletives in this thread, and suggesting the c word as a good possibility. I don't know if the m word was in use by then as an expletive, but if so it was fairly innocuous.

Jose

molping?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:47 pm UTC

ergman wrote:molping?
m*stard.

Jose

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ergman wrote:molping?
m*stard.

Jose

*Opiboble is aghast at the foul language!*
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

oh yeah :oops: my memory is m*starded I guess.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:54 pm UTC

Some more replies...

balthasar_s wrote:
svenman wrote: I only reported the e** of BFTF, covered Balthasar's making-of posts since then

I was also doing some making-of posts when it was still ONGing.

Yes, you did, and they (or at least some of them) were reported in the wiki too, just not by me.

balthasar_s wrote:I will be Outside from tomorrow until 10.8.
I'm going on a long walk.

Have a good time! I hope you don't find out at the end of the long walk that you have to run all the way back.

Ing. NoMouse wrote:I was just being busy finishing the university. A mip ago, I successfully defended my diploma thesis and now I'm officially an engineer of industrial design. In Czech Republic, this means I'm allowed to write the title "Ing." before my name - do not confuse with "ONG".

Congratulations, pane inženýre!

ETA translation in
Spoiler:
(Congratulations,) Mr. Engineer!

Do the Czech also put such a strong importance on the usage of titles as I know it from Austria and some other countries that once belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire?

And the images colorized by dreaming computers are really baobabish!

mikrit wrote:
svenman wrote:Roligt att se dig igen här!

Tack så mycket. Lusthus. Salva. Cembalo. Kredensbord. Stuga.

Okay, I got "Thank you very much", but could it be that you just put a bunch of random nouns after that? :)
Or did I get my Swedish wrong and you are gently pulling my leg about it?

ETA: Oh, now I get it. Gazebo. Ointment. Harpsichord. Credenza. Bungalow.

BlitzGirl wrote:I think the first time I actually intended to use ch*rp as an expletive was "pretty ch*rping soon" in this post, though I guess it might not have come off that way:

BlitzGirl, NP781 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Hello, my pretties. I trust you are having some fun and speculation?

We're mostly just chirping. Pretty chirping soon this whole chirpy thread will dechirp into nothing chirp chirps chirp chirping...chirp.

Anyway, by the Chirp of the Long Night circa 978, the usage was almost definitely based on precedent from the time of the chirpies in the trees (at least in my head). See also: NP790. But the "naughty word" quote is probably the first time I said explicitly that I was using it as an expletive, and maybe the first time I used the word "ch*rp" instead of "ch*rping", if that matters.

Thank you for shedding some light on this. So yes, "ch*irp" did get used as an expletive in the OTT prior to NP980 by you at least.

However, based on how the word was being bandied about on NP978, I still am under the strong impression that its usage as an expletive only really caught on with the other OTTers starting with NP980, but then very quickly, bolstered also by this post by Eternal Density and this one by Latent22, both on the same page. Of course, I haven't schizoblitzed most of the late 700s to mid-900s of the thread yet...
Last edited by svenman on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”