1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

svenman wrote:I still am under the strong impression that its usage as an expletive only really caught on with the other OTTers starting with NP980

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Edit: Ch*rp.
Optional decree:
Use an OTTish swear word in your post.
Or invent a new one.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

_SUSTAINABILIZE HARD 2: SUSTAINABILIZE HARDER_

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
ONG. NoMouse wrote:I was just being busy finishing the university. A mip ago, I successfully defended my diploma thesis and now I'm officially an engineer of industrial design. In Czech Republic, this means I'm allowed to write the title "Ing." before my name - do not confuse with "ONG".

Congratulations, pane inženýre!

Do the Czech also put such a strong importance on the usage of titles as I know it from Austria and some other countries that once belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire?

Thanks!

In the past, definitely. Many people with academic titles were writing them on their doorbells, in signatures and anywhere else, really. Some still do but I would say the younger generation does this in much less extent (partially because having an academic degree is now much more common, maybe even too common). The exceptions are the colleges and universities themselves, where you are required to address other people with their titles (of course students don't use titles when talking/writing to other students), doctors of medicine obviously have them written on their office door and similarly in many other professions. In some types of official documents the titles are used automatically, even if the people wouldn't have used them from their own will. But if someone is using his title for example in internet discussioni and unofficial communication in general, it's generally perceived as a sign of narcissism, huge ego or that they're trying to compensate for their poor knowledge or experience. :) I have to admit, I don't know how much different this is from other countries.

iI swear I only mentioned it only because it reminded me of that -ing- to -ONG- substitution done in the OTT. Really. Definitely not kidding. I'm not compensating for anything. Why wouldn't you believe me? Now everyone's using it. This is starting to be silly. Oh my GLR, it's getting out of hands... Ch*rp.

Here, have this dreamification of one of the1368 most famous OTColorizations:

RSIR is RSIR
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl_137_dreamificated.jpeg
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eternal Density

Suspicious ovaries

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

You wouldn't punsaw a wolpy!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sustainabilizer

Re: _SUSTAINABILIZE HARD 2: SUSTAINABILIZE HARDER_

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:03 pm UTC

ONG. NoMouse wrote:
svenman wrote:
ONG. NoMouse wrote:I was just being busy finishing the university. A mip ago, I successfully defended my diploma thesis and now I'm officially an engineer of industrial design. In Czech Republic, this means I'm allowed to write the title "Ing." before my name - do not confuse with "ONG".

Congratulations, pane inženýre!

Do the Czech also put such a strong importance on the usage of titles as I know it from Austria and some other countries that once belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire?

Thanks!

[…]
:) I have to admit, I don't know how much different this is from other countries.

So let me tell you about my experiences with this.

(spoilered for seaishness)
Spoiler:
In the past, definitely. Many people with academic titles were writing them on their doorbells, in signatures and anywhere else, really.

Where I live (NRW, Germany) that past is much further away.

Some still do but I would say the younger generation does this in much less extent (partially because having an academic degree is now much more common, maybe even too common). The exceptions are the colleges and universities themselves, where you are required to address other people with their titles (of course students don't use titles when talking/writing to other students),

Here, some companies require their employees to display their titles everywhere. On business cards they are very common.

In Germany, „Dipl.-Ing.“ cannot be added to you identity card, neither can „Prof.“ which does no more count as a title, but just as a profession. A doctor's title however can become part of the name and be written down in identity cards and other official documents.

doctors of medicine obviously have them written on their office door and similarly in many other professions. In some types of official documents the titles are used automatically, even if the people wouldn't have used them from their own will. But if someone is using his title for example in internet discussioni and unofficial communication in general, it's generally perceived as a sign of narcissism, huge ego or that they're trying to compensate for their poor knowledge or experience.

Same here.

I usually didn't display my academic titles in business meetings and such – except when someone else was displaying his/hers, in which case I drew level. (In fact my „Dr. rer. nat.“ – doctor of natural sciences – is one of the most reputable ones. ;))

ONG. NoMouse wrote:iI swear I only mentioned it only because it reminded me of that -ing- to -ONG- substitution done in the OTT. Really. Definitely not kidding. I'm not compensating for anything. Why wouldn't you believe me? Now everyone's using it. This is starting to be silly. Oh my GLR, it's getting out of hands... Ch*rp.

I believe you. ;)

An academic title is something you can be proud of. Really. You worked hard to get it. Use it with care where it fits.

Respectfully Yours,
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dipl.-Phys. Sustainabilizer
Ch*rp! I don't have an ONG title!
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Here, have this dreamification of one of the1368 most famous OTColorizations:
Spoiler:

Treeish! Megan has a hat!
But steambottle, what is she standing on??

Eternal Density wrote:You wouldn't punsaw a wolpy!
Spoiler:

Nah.

I might give a wolpy a punsaw, though.

Pupsaw.jpg

He's not old enough to have heavy machinery yet, so the sawing itself might take a while. Wait for it.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

username5243

Postby username5243 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:36 pm UTC

I have reached post 10000 and read 250 pages!

The TimeWaiters witness the recursing sand castles and BlitzGirl keeps reporting her progress. As of page 243, she was on page 126. BlitzGirl, I hope you are (or were) prepared to read through approximately 85 pages of RECKONING.
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np385

Postby mscha » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:00 am UTC

PURRONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ucim.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:TYMIVERSARY IS THE EPILOGUE OF THE SPOILERCAKES

-- posted by randompixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:30 am UTC

username5243 wrote: BlitzGirl, I hope you are (or were) prepared to read through approximately 85 pages of RECKONING.

Okay, wait.* Here we have username, blitzing through the pastpages, having already read through the RECKONING, reading a signpost sent to the then-future by my past self who was reading the early NP100s. Then username, from xer blitz on NP243, sends a message to the past-me circa NP126, which for username is the past at this point in their blitz, when to past-me NP243 was actually the future. However, this message to past-me gets posted in the Now, the OTT's current newpage of 2355. So it takes 850 dips for me to travel from NP126 to NP2355 and see a message sent by username from xer local Time of NP243, who sent a message to the thread's future intended for me-in-the-past.

What a mindch*rp.

Oh, and thanks, username5243. :) Hope things are going well for you whenever in Time you read this!

*(for it)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StormAngel

Meanwhile In Sawviet Russia

Postby StormAngel » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:You wouldn't punsaw a wolpy!
Spoiler:

But would a wolpy punsaw you?
At least he's wearing the proper attire!

AUTOMOME wrote:NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL TREEISH BRAINSLUGS TO COME TO THE AID OF THE MOUNTAINS

Spoiler:
Automome is Molpish
AUTOMOME wrote:HELLO, I AM STORMANGEL, AND MY NAME HAS 10 LETTERS!

AUTOMOME wrote:EVERY TIME YOU GO CAVE, MEGAN OTTCOLORISES A PRICKLYMOLP. PLEASE, THINK OF THE PRICKLYMOLPS.

AUTOMOME wrote:IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER HOTDOGGING ANYTHING AGAIN.

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU CAN TAKE SANDY OUT OF THE SANDCASTLE, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE THE SANDCASTLE OUT OF SANDY

AUTOMOME wrote:PROTIP: TO RETRONINJASPOILER THE DOOM BANANA, MEMEIFY IT UNTIL IT BLINDPOSTS

AUTOMOME wrote:MOONBASE: THE FINAL FRONTIER. THESE ARE THE VOYAGES OF THE SPAAAAAACECASTLE KANGAMOLP. ITS CONTINUING MISSION: TO EXPLORE YAPPOCISED NEW AFTERWHENS, TO SEEK OUT NEW DUNEISHNESS AND NEW TREEISHNESS, TO YAPPOCISEDLY CH*RP WHERE NO MOLPY HAS CH*RPED BEFORE.

AUTOMOME wrote:IF STORMANGEL IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:54 am UTC

M*stard - a couple of those NP243s in my post above should be NP250s, since that's when username was signposting from.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 am UTC

svenman wrote:Congratulations, pane inženýre!

Waitamoment, I just realized that I may have made an assumption about your gender and am not quite sure how well founded it is. Sorry if I got that wrong.

NoMouse wrote:
svenman wrote:Do the Czech also put such a strong importance on the usage of titles as I know it from Austria and some other countries that once belonged to the Austro-Hungarian empire?

Thanks!

In the past, definitely. Many people with academic titles were writing them on their doorbells, in signatures and anywhere else, really. Some still do but I would say the younger generation does this in much less extent (partially because having an academic degree is now much more common, maybe even too common). The exceptions are the colleges and universities themselves, where you are required to address other people with their titles (of course students don't use titles when talking/writing to other students), doctors of medicine obviously have them written on their office door and similarly in many other professions. In some types of official documents the titles are used automatically, even if the people wouldn't have used them from their own will. But if someone is using his title for example in internet discussion and unofficial communication in general, it's generally perceived as a sign of narcissism, huge ego or that they're trying to compensate for their poor knowledge or experience. :) I have to admit, I don't know how much different this is from other countries.

Thank you, and Sustainabilizer, for sharing your experience. Maybe I should tell a little more about the background for my question: Despite the closely related culture, there is a noticable difference in the usage of academic degrees as titles between Germany and Austria even today.

Seaish discussion of usage of academic titles and degrees in different countries hidden in:
Spoiler:
Sustainabilizer pretty much summed up the situation in Germany today; may I just add that in my experience, within academic circles hardly anyone uses academic degrees or titles as a form of address anymore, with the exception of professors belonging to an older generation, many of whom still expect to be addressed as "Herr Professor", or, in the less common case, "Frau Professor(in)" (both forms possible). In the field of business, it is common to address people who have a doctor's degree as e. g. "Herr Doktor Müller" or "Frau Doktor Schmidt". It is not unheard of in business contexts for people even to insist on being addressed by an academic degree below the rank of doctor ("Frau Diplomingenieur Meier", "Herr Diplomkaufmann Schulze"), however that is much less common and I'd agree that this is a sign of narcissism or ego-compensation. As for myself, I have the degree "Diplom-Mathematiker" (roughly equivalent to a master's degree and nowadays replaced by bachelor's and master's degrees in the Anglo-American style); I never use it or expect it to be used as a form of address (it would be very uncommon, too) and only display it with my name when I find it required or advisable to signal my academic credentials.

Now in Austria, it is in my experience in all fields of society even today much more common to address people with their academic degree or with a title derived from such a degree, and to omit that in any kind of formal setting would widely be regarded as impolite. So with your degree you could expect to be addressed as "Herr/Frau Ingenieur" (with or without your family name appended, depending on the situation), I would be addressed as "Herr Magister" (that form of address is completely unknown in Germany), and Sustainabilizer would of course be "Herr Professor". Maybe one of our Austrian OTTers can add something to this from their perspective.

What I find especially interesting is that this cultural difference also seems to exist within Poland, between those parts of the country that were Austrian before 1918 and the rest of the country. A (German) friend of mine who knows Polish well and has Polish friends once told me about an occasion when he and some Polish friends of his from Warsaw attended a funeral in Cracow. They noticed that academic degrees and titles were featured on many of the tombstones and the friends from Warsaw found that odd because they were not accustomed to this. It was only my German friend who could tell them that this difference was obviously due to the Austrian cultural imprint on that part of Poland.

ETA spoiler to hide seaish discussion.
Last edited by svenman on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:57 am UTC

Am I right in thinking that we engineers are also granted a title in Germany? I seem to recall the profession being more respected over there.
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

ONG. HES wrote:Am I right in thinking that we engineers are also granted a title in Germany? I seem to recall the profession being more respected over there.

Yes and no.
Spoiler:
In Germany, „Ingenieur“ (= “engineer”) is usually used in combination with the academic degree. In the past that was „Diplom-Ingenieur“ („Dipl.-Ing. HES“); now it is „Bachelor/Master of Engineering“. (Yes, in English. For German engineers. IMHO that's m*stard.) As I wrote above, academic degrees are often printed on business cards and such; most companies even insist on that. (Maybe that's what you experience as “more respected”?)

So your German :!: business card would say: „HES, M.Eng.“

In Austria, this title can be enlisted in a passport and/or identity card. In Germany it cannot; that's only done for the doctor's degree, and only on request. (I didn't request it.)

While we are at it, „Professor“ is not (no more) an academic degree, but an „Amtsbezeichnung“ (= “employment title”) which may (as an exception) be held even after retirement.

As a result, I could request to have the „Dr.” on my identity card and/or passport, but neither the „Prof.“ nor the „Dipl.-Phys.“ („Diplom-Physiker“ – “graduated physicist”). Of course on business cards I can list as many or as few of my titles as I want.

OTOH I could have „Sustainabilizer“ enlisted in my passport and/or identity card as a stage name. :)
Image Help addams!

Anti Spiral

Postby Anti Spiral » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

Having been a long time reader of the comic, but not a regular forum member I completely missed Time and the "thrill" that came with the regular updates (I have read different pages throughout this thread), infact it was only about a month ago that I found out it was a comic that changed, when I first started lurking the forums. Despite reading the comics sporadically over the years I never new this! It kind of broke my heart a little. :(

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:48 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
svenman wrote:Congratulations, pane inženýre!

Waitamoment, I just realized that I may have made an assumption about your gender and am not quite sure how well founded it is. Sorry if I got that wrong.

Don't worry, you guessed it right. ;) I'm still not to used to the fact, that in English you can't tell the gender of a user from such discussion, while in Czech it would be obvious pretty soon, so I still assume users' genders and don't even think that it could be the opposite one (this happened to me with Eternal Density because of her his avatar with River). But this has been discussed many NPs ago.

@svenman, Sustainabilizer: Thank you for your insight. I guess the situation here is more similar to the Austrian. Especially in that the Engineer (Ing.) and other Master's (Mgr.) and even Bachelor's degree (Bc.) titles can be used in equal manner as higher titles like PhD. (written behind the name contrary to the previously mentioned titles).

svenman wrote:They noticed that academic degrees and titles were featured on many of the tombstones and the friends from Warsaw found that odd because they were not accustomed to this. It was only my German friend who could tell them that this difference was obviously due to the Austrian cultural imprint on that part of Poland.

Now I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen a title on a tombstone. I can't remember anything, it sounds odd even to me.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:16 pm UTC

Yep, gender first was discussed in about the page 40's or so. It rarely appears as a topic in the page 250's where I am now.
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

Now that StormAngel's back I have to keep reminding myself not to click the redundakitty in his sig.

[click]

Ch*rp!

[a few dinips pass]

[click]

Ch*rp!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:56 pm UTC

Anti Spiral wrote:Having been a long time reader of the comic, but not a regular forum member I completely missed Time and the "thrill" that came with the regular updates (I have read different pages throughout this thread), infact it was only about a month ago that I found out it was a comic that changed, when I first started lurking the forums. Despite reading the comics sporadically over the years I never new this! It kind of broke my heart a little. :(

Welcome Anti Spiral, Revealer the Recent.
I'm sorry you missed it. Did you find a viewer to your liking? There are a few on the wiki. It is quite a story, even when told without waiting for it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:15 pm UTC

Welcome Anti Spiral! And you are indeed fortunate, because if you wish, you can still experience Time in its own time! It's not for the faint of heart, but Blitzing the One True Thread is a Time honored tradition which allows you to experience all of the frames of the One True Comic at the pace they were originally presented, along with the discussion that those frames triggered. At that time, it took about as long to read one frame's worth of postings as it took to post the next frame, so (especially if you didn't peek) you'd get a real sense of what it was like. You can even participate in the discussions (your posts will appear in the "future", and if you're clever about reading the present, you can read our comments [heresy] without Waiting For It[/heresy] and still avoid many of the spoilery pitfalls). There are several blitzers at various stages of their journey even now, and we will await your Glorious Entry into the Present Future (and Future Present).

Or you can join us now and ketchup as you wish. There are several viewers (check the wiki), some of which will let you pick your pace. But the anticipation of the next frame can only really be experienced in real time in a Blitz, where you follow the first commandment and Wait For It.

You can also schitzoblitz - post with us now while you blitz from the first post.

Or you can do something else - there are many ways to Time. :) In any case, welcome to the One True Thread.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

Nice to meet you, Anti Spiral! Image Feel free to ask us if you have any questions.

As Neil and Jose have pointed out, there are several good viewers for Time, some automated, some user-directed. (My personal favorite is mscha's.) A live Time replay is hosted by mrob every year on his viewer from March 25 to July 26 that replicates the comic as it originally aired, but unfortunately you just missed that one. If you want to experience all of the Waiting of the Time comic, and are feeling particularly ambitious, you can take Jose's suggestion to read this thread from the beginning, as frames of Time were posted into the thread as they went live on xkcd.

There are indeed many ways to Time, so pick whichever you want! Welcome!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Link

IN B4 503 HUGOS

Postby Link » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:05 pm UTC

I've finished my research project and just returned from a molpish wip in northern Germany with some friends, so I finally have some Time for Time again. Looks like the OTT has had an unexpected infusion of awesomefulness, with several Revealers the Recent (welcome to all of you!) and the return of mscha.

@MistyCat: baobabs, your Q04B score is mind-boggling!

The Dreamscope app looks really treeish, but it has a rather disconcerting tendency to produce images resembling Shoggoths.
Last edited by Link on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Or should that be Link link

Postby HES » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:23 pm UTC

Link wrote: Shoggoths.

I would call that link mustard, but the condiment is wrong.
He/Him/His Image

Link

Re: Or should that be Link link

Postby Link » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Link wrote: Shoggoths.

I would call that link mustard, but the condiment is wrong.

Haha, oops. Fixed. I must've typo'd Ctrl-C. :P

ergman

for pope

Postby ergman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:00 am UTC

welcome Anti Spiral! people have already said most of the things that need sayin', but I'll say hello.

also hello to Link

also, ch*rp I got soaked today by a sudden storm, but it was okay because I saw a rainbow. I wonder if Cuegan have ever seen a rainbow.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:58 am UTC

ergman wrote:I wonder if Cuegan have ever seen a rainbow.
If they did, it would most likely be black and white. Maybe some blue and mustard too.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 am UTC

Don't forget green:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StormAngel

RFC: 1190: "Internet Stream Protocol"

Postby StormAngel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 am UTC

Or red either:

and the SNAKE! was brown:

For decree:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:09 am UTC

I have this very bad habit of putting off things until I have a large chunk of time to do them. For instance, i kept saying, "I'll wait until I finish X, then I'll have time to sit down and take care of this large mound of kerchup." But that way lies the basement. Also madness, but especially the basement. The large chunk of time is a lie. Sure, you might finish X, but Y and Z are right behind. Not too mention the fact that you'll probably have more stuff to do with X. And don't get me started on AA and BB! Wait, what was I talking about? Oh, right, the basement and madness. Anyway, I typed "for" into the browser on my phone, and it did not immediately know I wanted to go to the OTT. Then I knew it had been much, much too long, like unto a river, which may be small but is usually long, otherwise it would be a lake or something, and while the sea may be big, one doesn't usually deacribe ot as long, and I forgot what I was talking about again. Oh, right, ketchup! So, here I am, and it gives me such a molpish feeling in my bosom (heh heh, she said bosom) to see you all again, I can't even tell you. Ketchup will have to wait; at this point, i don't even know where to start. But man, it's good to be home.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:36 am UTC

welcome home!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:49 am UTC

Welcome home Laura Mae! It's molpish to have you back!

Jose

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:48 am UTC

Thanks! Much awesomefulness as always, I see. Glad to see username is still blitzing. And welcome, Anti spiral!

Dreamscope, eh? I'll have to check that out. Is that what created that trippy OTColor from NoMouse? (BTW, congrats, NoMouse!)

For pope, I was trying to think of other OTC-related swear words. They weren't find of the hill people--maybe a hill-ch*rper? :mrgreen:

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

For decree: C**KIES!

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 am UTC

Welcome home, June Bug! Glad you escaped the basement (though maybe not the madness, but don't worry, we're all mad here anyway). Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StormAngel

For decree: CL*CKER!

Postby StormAngel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:31 am UTC

G'day Laura, have some Seaish Greetings:
*Waves*

Eternal Density says "Nothing", then mutters something about brasmargins and padding.

BlitzGirl wrote:[click]

Ch*rp!

I have 'cl*cked the redundak*tty' by mistake more than once in times past while previewing my posts.

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Anti Spiral

Postby Anti Spiral » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Anti Spiral wrote:Having been a long time reader of the comic, but not a regular forum member I completely missed Time and the "thrill" that came with the regular updates (I have read different pages throughout this thread), infact it was only about a month ago that I found out it was a comic that changed, when I first started lurking the forums. Despite reading the comics sporadically over the years I never new this! It kind of broke my heart a little. :(

Welcome Anti Spiral, Revealer the Recent.
I'm sorry you missed it. Did you find a viewer to your liking? There are a few on the wiki. It is quite a story, even when told without waiting for it.

Thanks ^^

ucim wrote:Welcome Anti Spiral! And you are indeed fortunate, because if you wish, you can still experience Time in its own time! It's not for the faint of heart, but Blitzing the One True Thread is a Time honored tradition which allows you to experience all of the frames of the One True Comic at the pace they were originally presented, along with the discussion that those frames triggered. At that time, it took about as long to read one frame's worth of postings as it took to post the next frame, so (especially if you didn't peek) you'd get a real sense of what it was like. You can even participate in the discussions (your posts will appear in the "future", and if you're clever about reading the present, you can read our comments [heresy] without Waiting For It[/heresy] and still avoid many of the spoilery pitfalls). There are several blitzers at various stages of their journey even now, and we will await your Glorious Entry into the Present Future (and Future Present).

Or you can join us now and ketchup as you wish. There are several viewers (check the wiki, some of which will let you pick your pace. But the anticipation of the next frame can only really be experienced in real time in a Blitz, where you follow the first commandment and Wait For It.

You can also schitzoblitz - post with us now while you blitz from the first post.

Or you can do something else - there are many ways to Time. :) In any case, welcome to the One True Thread.

Jose

I'm afraid I just don't have the patience to sit through Time as was originally intended, once I know there are "easier" ways of viewing it I become restless and need to devour the content as quickly as possible! I ended up watching it all on one of the previously linked pages, it took me a few hours in total, not watching in one sitting but enjoying it slowly. I will probably re-read many times but it was certainly an adventure even sped-up. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:Nice to meet you, Anti Spiral! Feel free to ask us if you have any questions.

As Neil and Jose have pointed out, there are several good viewers for Time, some automated, some user-directed. (My personal favorite is viewer.) A live Time replay] is hosted by mrob every year on his viewer from March 25 to July 26 that replicates the comic as it originally aired, but unfortunately you just missed that one. If you want to experience all of the Waiting of the Time comic, and are feeling particularly ambitious, you can take Jose's suggestion to read this thread from the beginning, as frames of Time were posted into the thread as they went live on xkcd.

There are indeed many ways to Time, so pick whichever you want! Welcome!

Thanks ^^
ergman wrote:welcome Anti Spiral! people have already said most of the things that need sayin', but I'll say hello.

Hello ^^

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:11 am UTC

Oh, if you have an E-reader that can do PDF's, you can get Time as a PDF here, together with some fan art. For most E-readers I guess the rotated versions are best, because that allows for reading it as large as possible.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Re: 1190: "Bosom"

Postby HES » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 am UTC

Laura! :D

I would argue that madness is the road to ketchup. If you think the basement is where the madness lies you've been there too long.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 am UTC

Maybe we have some madness leaking down into the basement.
Better check that out before the problem becomes Zanclean.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

We're Riding On The Sea¹

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 am UTC

Image Jetzt fahr'n wir über'n See Image

This is a German children's song⁵.

Its musical concept is similar to that of Miss Susie, but with more wait for it:
In the first iteration, the last word of each verse is replaced by a grand pause.
(There's some m*stardImage in the sheet music: Lines 3–5 must be sung at twice the speed, and the middle bar of line 4 must be f#–a–a–a instead of a–d–f#–a. The performance is correct.)

Here is the condensed² original text:
Spoiler:
Jetzt fahr'n wir über'n See
mit einer hölzern' Wurzel.
Ein Ruder war nicht dran.

Und als wir drüber war'n,
da sangen alle Vög'lein.
Der helle Tag brach an.

Ein Jäger blies ins Horn.
Da bliesen alle Jäger
ein jeder in sein Horn.

Das Liedlein, das ist aus.
Und wer das Lied nicht singen kann,
der fängt von vorne an.
Translation:
Spoiler:
Now we're crossing the lake
on a wooden root.
It didn't have a rudder.

And when we were across
all the little birds were singing.
The bright day began.

A huntsman blew the horn.
Then all the huntsmen
blew their horns, each.

This song is finished.
And who cannot sing the song
restarts from the beginning.
Now let's make it even more RELATED! :)
Condensed² version:

We're riding on the sea¹.
To make us pointing forward,
let's just call this the front.

And when we reached the shore,
there were some trees⁷ and molpies⁴.
Let's see what is through there!

This place is beautiful.
Let's find out who else lives here.
Let's go up to the top!

This song has reached its **d.
And if you like this story,
let's Blitz the One True Thread!

In particular the OTTish pronunciation of **d adds yet another wait for it to the song. ;)

Expanded¹ version (spoilered for seaishness):
Spoiler:
We're riding on the sea¹, on the sea¹,
we're riding on the ***
We're riding on the sea¹, on the sea¹,
we're riding on the sea¹.
forward, forward, forward,
to make us pointing forward,
let's just call this the *****
forward, forward, forward,
to make us pointing forward,
let's just call this the front.

And when we reached the shore, reached the shore,
and when we reached the *****
And when we reached the shore, reached the shore,
and when we reached the shore
there were some trees⁷ and molpies⁴,
molpies⁴, molpies⁴, molpies⁴.
There were some trees⁷ and molpies⁴.
Let's see what is through *****
There were some trees⁷ and molpies⁴,
molpies⁴, molpies⁴, molpies⁴.
There were some trees⁷ and molpies⁴.
Let's see what is through there!

This place is beautiful, beautiful,
this place is beauti***
This place is beautiful, beautiful,
this place is beautiful.
Let's find out who else lives here,
lives here, lives here, lives here.
Let's find out who else lives here.
Let's go up to the ***
let's find out who else lives here,
lives here, lives here, lives here,
let's find out who else lives here,
Let's go up to the top!

This song has reached its **d, reached its **d,
this song has reached its ***
This song has reached its **d, reached its **d,
this song has reached its **d.
story, story, story,
and if you like this story,
let's Blitz the One True ******
story, story, story,
and if you like this story,
let's Blitz the One True Thread!

Welcome to the OTT, Anti Spiral, Revealer the Recent!
Welcome forward home, Laura!

¹: big
²: small
⁴: neat
⁵: probably not recent
⁷: wow
Image: Either that, or there are several versions of the tune. (For the text, there are, definitely.)
Disclaimer: It is not recommended to pronounce the footnotes while singing.
Image Help addams!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

At the end of a dip when the Outside has been mostly Zanclean m*st*rd, it is molpish to come to the OTT and savour all the baobabish whimsy.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”