Strange but delicious combinations (Merged: Weird Snacks)

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Strange but delicious combinations (Merged: Weird Snacks)

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:04 pm UTC

In this thread, we share our discoveries of combinations that seem odd, but are in fact objectively delicious and better than any of the ingredients involved individually.

I'll open up with Cheerios and Brazil nuts.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
 
Posts: 5961
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

Strawberry Jam and Cheese Sandwiches. Not totally undiscovered, but it only has a small underground following.
User avatar
crazyjimbo
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:45 pm UTC
Location: Durham, England

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

Macaweenies - cut-up hot dogs mixed in with macaroni and cheese. Something my dad always made whenever my mom went away somewhere, seeing as how she thought it was gross.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110
User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
 
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

Hot dogs in macaroni and cheese is not strange, it's classic.

How about chicken noodle soup with chocolate chip cookie bits instead of oyster crackers? Very tasty.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
 
Posts: 8768
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: tinyurl.com/dybqlp

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby xkcd_n00bz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

from not so weird to more weirder:

garlic salt on popcorn

pretzels and peanut butter

the cheese powder from mac and cheese poured on popcorn (discard macaroni)

fried potatoes and ground beef with ketchup fried right in

popcorn with vinegar, soy sauce, or Tabasco on it
I am +20 dB hot.
xkcd_n00bz
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:33 pm UTC
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Hammer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

Dates wrapped in bacon and baked. Salty, sweet, greasy, and sticky all at the same time!
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."
User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
 
Posts: 5489
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby d33p » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

Pickles dipped in caramel. Crunchy, sour, sweet, AND gooey! How could you go wrong?
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.
User avatar
d33p
Happy Fun Ball
 
Posts: 1714
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 am UTC
Location: La Maison de la Liberté

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:Salty, sweet, greasy, and sticky all at the same time!


|
|
V
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
 
Posts: 5961
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

Bald eagle served with Franks Red Hot.

...

What?
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:Strawberry Jam and Cheese Sandwiches. Not totally undiscovered, but it only has a small underground following.

Agreed. Delish.

Cheese goes with just about anything, really. Spicy, sweet, salty, savoury; it goes with just about ANY dish!

Hmmm, let me think... I can't really think of anything "odd" right now. I'll come up with something later.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks
User avatar
Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.
 
Posts: 2926
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am UTC
Location: In ur fora posting in teh threads

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Angelene » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

I used to have cheddar and cream cheese sandwiches with marmalade as a wee 'un. Twas almost like a dessert for lunch.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."
Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby lanicita » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:58 am UTC

Frosted Mini-Wheats and peanut butter. Actually, anything sweet can be immediately improved with peanut butter, but these especially because I never like the side that's not frosted, so that's where I put the peanut butter, and voila! Sweet-and-salty-tastic.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
User avatar
lanicita
almost grown-up but not quite
 
Posts: 3961
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am UTC
Location: Camberville

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Cowboy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 am UTC

Hot pepper jam...it goes on ANYTHING.
CaraInFrames wrote:Cowboy, you can both be dicks, okay?

Oxymoronic wrote:woah, woah, woah. Thoughts of details and repurcussions are for like, capitalists man. Stop harshin' my mellow.
User avatar
Cowboy
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Cowboy wrote:Hot pepper jam...it goes on ANYTHING.

Jalapeno jelly, cream cheese, Ritz crackers. Fud of the Guds.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Gem » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:11 am UTC

Peanut butter and apple. It's best in a sandwich. Cut the apple fairly thin.

I think peanut butter goes with pretty much anything. Because it's made of win! (and peanuts too).
User avatar
Gem
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Dibley » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:41 am UTC

Miso and raisins. Golden raisins preferred. (you dip them in it)
User avatar
Dibley
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:00 pm UTC
Location: Napa Valley, California

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby dubsola » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

Heston Blumenthal is pretty much the king of strange but delicious food.

Weird but wonderful
User avatar
dubsola
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:55 am UTC
Location: Sunny Snakeville

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Gem wrote:Peanut butter and apple. It's best in a sandwich. Cut the apple fairly thin.

I think peanut butter goes with pretty much anything. Because it's made of win! (and peanuts too).

Not that strange; any jelly, jam or preserve can be replaced by the actual fruit of which it's made in a PB&J sandwich and it only improves the sandwich. I've done apple, pear, strawberry, banana (of course, no jam equivalent), raspberry and peach. Not at the same time... yet.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
 
Posts: 8768
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: tinyurl.com/dybqlp

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby d33p » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

Am the only one that foresees Bake inventing the fruit-salad sammich?
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.
User avatar
d33p
Happy Fun Ball
 
Posts: 1714
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 am UTC
Location: La Maison de la Liberté

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Shabooty » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

My dad eats peanut butter and mayo sammichs... So gross.
Image
User avatar
Shabooty
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:12 am UTC
Location: Omaha, Cornbraska

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Prole » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

The cheddar and kitkat microwave delight.

1 kitkat, Lay slice of cheddar on top. Microwave for 30 seconds - 1 minute.

Its just so good.
Image
User avatar
Prole
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:14 pm UTC
Location: In your *noun* *verb*ing your *related noun*

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Zohar » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

Instant pasta sauce when we were kids (and today as well, actually) - cottage cheese and ketchup. Sounds disgusting, but it's so good!
Responsible wealthy people inspect their funds by occasionally taking baths in their coins.
User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

I like sugar and butter in my rice. It sounded weird to try at first, but actually pretty good.

At other points I've had, chocolate dipped in cheese fondue, and cinnamon and sugar mixed with ground beef and mac&cheese. The last one kind of tasted like apple pie.

Most of the stuff I've seen in the thread so far really doesn't seem weird at all. It's mostly stuff I've either had before, or sounds like it would be a good mix. I should really find a way to get some red bean paste and start experimenting.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.
User avatar
pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

@d33p: Heh, I c wut u did thar.
Zohar wrote:Instant pasta sauce when we were kids (and today as well, actually) - cottage cheese and ketchup. Sounds disgusting, but it's so good!

I dislike ketchup in general but that sounds like it would be great with salsa instead. I used to eat something my mom called "tu-nood-cot" which was pasta with tuna, cottage cheese and usually a bit of some other cheese too. Just mix em up after you take the pasta out, gets a bit melty and good.
Image
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
User avatar
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick
 
Posts: 8768
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm UTC
Location: tinyurl.com/dybqlp

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby ishikiri » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:26 am UTC

Ham, Kit-Kat and Salt & Vinegar Crisp (Walker/Lays) Sandwiches.

Its a packed lunch in bread!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.
User avatar
ishikiri
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Gem » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Ham and salt & vinegar chip sandwiches are so good. But I've never added a KitKat in there...I must try this.
User avatar
Gem
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby letthemeatquiche » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:20 am UTC

I tried for a month to make chocolate peanutbutter Coke. I couldn't come up with a way to keep the peanutbutter liquid in the beverage.
User avatar
letthemeatquiche
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:11 pm UTC
Location: 9th Circle of Hell, aka Los Angeles

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby stockpot » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:41 am UTC

Cheddar cheese melted over brown rice.
A little baked potato (better if its not actually a baking potato) with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and tahini inside bread or pita
Potato-pesto-parmesan pizza
User avatar
stockpot
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Tuke » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:11 am UTC

Shabooty wrote:My dad eats peanut butter and mayo sammichs... So gross.


I was going to say this one. Not something I do anymore, but something I did a lot as a kid. Really grosses me out now though. Was the best back then!
I have a secret to share with you.
Spoiler:
I'm not a moose.

Image
User avatar
Tuke
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby dazomby » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:22 am UTC

Sticks of appenzeller dipped in honey. Salty-sweet bliss.
Soused herring with sourcream, potatoes and chives. Mmmm... Summer...

Chocolate dipped horse ants (Formica rufa). Sweet and sour crunchy soft goodness.
Catch a bunch of ants and put them in a cooking pot.
Heat the pot until the ants stop moving and add the milk chocolate.
Stir until everything is a gooey mess.
Eat.

/dz
dazomby
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:52 am UTC
Location: .se

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby __Kit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:13 am UTC

Uhm I just had Salad+Shower, which was nice. I hate salad dressing though, yuck yuck, away from my foods!

Confession: I typed fora.xkcd.com to try and enter the fora.
=]
User avatar
__Kit
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 5:12 am UTC
Location: 16/M/NZ

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:57 am UTC

Jelly and pork sung sandwiches.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
User avatar
podbaydoor
 
Posts: 7528
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Cheese » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

I often get cravings for cornflake sandwiches, with ketchup. They're really nice.

On a semi-related note, whoever came up with the idea of pineapple on pizza should've been shot before they did.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image
User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Simius » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:On a semi-related note, whoever came up with the idea of pineapple on pizza should've been shot before they did.


I completely agree. If I'd be religious, Pizza Hawaii would be sacrilege.

As for good combinations:
Cream cheese with dark chocolate

Dark chocolate with a tiny bit of tomato, balsamic vinegar and pepper. Yum :D
User avatar
Simius
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:17 pm UTC
Location: Vancouver

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Hammer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

I like pineapple on pizza. :(
* cries *
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."
User avatar
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.
 
Posts: 5489
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby ishikiri » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Simius wrote:
Cheese wrote:On a semi-related note, whoever came up with the idea of pineapple on pizza should've been shot before they did.


I completely agree. If I'd be religious, Pizza Hawaii would be sacrilege.


You don't know how wrong you are!!

Next you'll say that pineapple on cheeseburgers is wrong!! Or pineapple on gammon with a fried egg on top is wrong.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.
User avatar
ishikiri
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Cheese » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:
Simius wrote:
Cheese wrote:On a semi-related note, whoever came up with the idea of pineapple on pizza should've been shot before they did.


I completely agree. If I'd be religious, Pizza Hawaii would be sacrilege.


You don't know how wrong you are!!

Next you'll say that pineapple on cheeseburgers is wrong!! Or pineapple on gammon with a fried egg on top is wrong.

Pineapple on anything hot, at all, is wrong. I dislike it for the same reason I dislike tomatoes: It's too sweet to be savoury.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image
User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Prole » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

stockpot wrote:Potato-pesto-parmesan pizza


Pesto-Mayonnaise-potatoes are also seriously yum.

Cheese wrote:
ishikiri wrote:
Simius wrote:
Cheese wrote:On a semi-related note, whoever came up with the idea of pineapple on pizza should've been shot before they did.


I completely agree. If I'd be religious, Pizza Hawaii would be sacrilege.


You don't know how wrong you are!!

Next you'll say that pineapple on cheeseburgers is wrong!! Or pineapple on gammon with a fried egg on top is wrong.

Pineapple on anything hot, at all, is wrong. I dislike it for the same reason I dislike tomatoes: It's too sweet to be savoury.


There's good thinking behind the idea of the hawaiian. The saltiness of ham compliments the sugariness of the pineapple really well. Think parma ham and melon. Though in order to be good the pineapple has to be totally roasted, otherwise the whole thing has a rather horrible texture in the mouth..
Image
User avatar
Prole
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:14 pm UTC
Location: In your *noun* *verb*ing your *related noun*

Re: Strange but delicious combinations

Postby Cheese » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

Prole wrote:
stockpot wrote:Potato-pesto-parmesan pizza


Pesto-Mayonnaise-potatoes are also seriously yum.

Cheese wrote:
ishikiri wrote:
Simius wrote:
Cheese wrote:On a semi-related note, whoever came up with the idea of pineapple on pizza should've been shot before they did.


I completely agree. If I'd be religious, Pizza Hawaii would be sacrilege.


You don't know how wrong you are!!

Next you'll say that pineapple on cheeseburgers is wrong!! Or pineapple on gammon with a fried egg on top is wrong.

Pineapple on anything hot, at all, is wrong. I dislike it for the same reason I dislike tomatoes: It's too sweet to be savoury.


There's good thinking behind the idea of the hawaiian. The saltiness of ham compliments the sugariness of the pineapple really well. Think parma ham and melon. Though in order to be good the pineapple has to be totally roasted, otherwise the whole thing has a rather horrible texture in the mouth..
And the ham needs to be salty. The majority of hawaiian pizzas (at least in my area) use processed ham chunks, and keep the pineapple all weird and chewy.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Image
User avatar
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)
 
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Location: ¿burning you?

Next

Return to Food

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tidglirg and 0 guests