1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mikrit

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikrit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:19 pm UTC

Hi there, my hat-grandmother!

I like June Bug's theory that the hammock needs to be high because raptorcats. But another theory is that this hammock was originally designed for a very heavy beanie: a sumo wrestler type of guy. When he used it, it was barely above ground.

This guy will never appear onscreen since he is too heavy to display as a stickman.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

It's very likely that I will do some changes to the mirror in the next days.
(I'm still thinking how to do this)
Don't be surprised when the pages are displayed incorrectly or the bots stop updating.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:34 pm UTC

I like the idea of a Sumo Beanie, but it seems even less likely that Sumo Beanie would want to climb up a ladder and hurl himself up into a hammock, or even be able to do so. But maybe there's a special Sumo Beanie ladder lying on the ground that we can't see, and it's taller and sturdier.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

ergman wrote:This robot is kinda freaking me out. What IS it?
We just don't know!

lmjb1964 wrote:I like the idea of a Sumo Beanie, but it seems even less likely that Sumo Beanie would want to climb up a ladder and hurl himself up into a hammock, or even be able to do so.

I don't have any issues with standard ladders but my usual paranoia.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I like the idea of a Sumo Beanie, but it seems even less likely that Sumo Beanie would want to climb up a ladder and hurl himself up into a hammock, or even be able to do so. But maybe there's a special Sumo Beanie ladder lying on the ground that we can't see, and it's taller and sturdier.

Well, Sumo Beanie would only need a string hanging from the hammock. Then he could pull the hammock down to ground level and climb in. The string wouldn't be useful to medium Beanies unless they could climb it.

Anyway, since I have predicted that the Sumo Beanie cannot ever appear onscreen, my theory cannot be falsified. Mwahaha! (Well, maybe if we see a raptorcat attacking another, low-hanging hammock.)
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

mrob27

NI NI NI NI REDUNDABIKE MUSTARDINESS

Postby mrob27 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm UTC

Sustainibiliser wrote:
mrob27 wrote:I am slightly amused by the -gravity option in @Sustainabilizer's bash script.

Huh? :confused: Is anything wrong with it? [<computery stuff>]

Nope, nothing wrong — just amusing. (Spoiler:'d for <computery silliness>, yada yada.)
Spoiler:
The -gravity option gives flexibility in how margins and offsets are specified in a cropping operation. What I find amusing is the name they chose. I expect the pixels to slide off towards one corner, or fall into a pixely black hole. Also, a crop operation directed by such an option is called "a gravitated crop". Very silly! :P

ergman wrote:This robot is kinda freaking me out. What IS it?

<zippy>
Whatever it IS, it must be HATTED!
</zippy>
 — mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

Silly me, here I was, on NP2384, thinking I was all alone, and editing my goat post to add:

StickONG around for a bit.

Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

Not that we get to see any more of the sign – we seem to be moving to the left again. I don't understand what the sea camera is doing.

:oops:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:54 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I like the idea of a Sumo Beanie, but it seems even less likely that Sumo Beanie would want to climb up a ladder and hurl himself up into a hammock, or even be able to do so. But maybe there's a special Sumo Beanie ladder lying on the ground that we can't see, and it's taller and sturdier.

Well, Sumo Beanie would only need a string hanging from the hammock. Then he could pull the hammock down to ground level and climb in. The string wouldn't be useful to medium Beanies unless they could climb it.

Anyway, since I have predicted that the Sumo Beanie cannot ever appear onscreen, my theory cannot be falsified. Mwahaha! (Well, maybe if we see a raptorcat attacking another, low-hanging hammock.)

Good point. And the raptorcat wouldn't necessarily disprove your theory. It might just be a coincidence.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0142

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

WRONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

ZEYkalA6kn1qXE1BNiwjPjMeW0IlYkMeVDwjVUc6dmFPRTMdVDsdZU5BST0ySjYrRjYnNigaPTInKyMbJh0VZ1dJinVkLichGxcTTkE2eGZXb15QGhMMFA4IahoUXAUCagAAaiQcaEc6chsVl4FuXUEeUCkMm4RxJBgNX1BEg29gdQIBeU9CaisjQS4ZCgkHaxUGajwycV1OhHBfFysqcV9QAhkaajUrgm5doYl2OiMLKzIwTUFBLyAPCA4iDR8fAgcXMg8FUBUIhUQ0dTAodTUAgQICazEHCzIxBCkpBBgjcxgEEkNBdCcCaigCgikXgxkQhlVIgzMqAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ETA by mscha: look at all the stuff going on in the unENHANCEd ONGs! No idea what, though.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

Is that a seismograph?

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

Holy ch*rp! When stuff starts happening, it really happens! It looks very much like a seismograph. Maybe the Beanie in the hammock was some sort of human seismograph, lying there till he felt something. Maybe the dam in the Strait of Gibraltar is crumbling, and the effects are being caught on the seismograph.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

My new career goal: to be a human seismograph. But not in an place with significant tectonic activity, please.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:My new career goal: to be a human seismograph. But not in an place with significant tectonic activity, please.

Hey, it would be fun as long as you were somewhere that nothing would fall on you. Or you would get swallowed up by the earth. Or hit by a tsunami.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:19 pm UTC

So I agree with the seismograph idea. Maybe we're at the Gibraltar monitoring station immediately pre-Time.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

THEORY: I think the hiddenONGs are at the time period when the Gibraltar straight gets closed (probably by that big ol' bridge), and the surface ONGs are when it opens up again.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 pm UTC

That is a lot of hammocks (or at least ropes).
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np3078

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

SPEERONGS...
Spoiler:
(Colorization by Hillperson.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MRORL... IN SPACE!

-- posted by randompixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:15 am UTC

NOTRESPASSONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

PTIoNisjRTYoSTwyTkE2LichKyMbGxcTJh0VGRMMCgkHNigaagAAahoUaUg6Z1dJcV1OVUc6LTMwDBAOURUJWwYDaxYGaj0yZU5CTUFBFyopajUrck5BaisjQS4ZdAEBVDwjQi4jVDodPjMeLyAPXUEfYkYlYEMeaiQcMhAFJBkNOiMLTykNRTMdUzovcjIpW0IleGZXg29gk31qFA0Jb15QDSAgX1BEXE1BinVkAgcZcF9RbFE6gm5dhHBfl4FuBAsim4RxoYl1dWBPh1dKKkBAbTMIgQICAxgZBCkpAxkkCTIxcyYBaiYCdjQAcxkEghcSgy4mhUc8AAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:42 am UTC

Aloha

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I am so happy that this needle-pulled-thing (I don't remember the actual term!) has continued. I was just listening to one of my fav songs, Cold Play "Viva la Vida" and suddenly remembered I'd written a ..... damn, I don't remember the term! Ottification! right? Anyway -- found it, read it, sang to it, and thought, "Wow, Buffygirl, that's a pretty damn good ottification, if I may say so myself!"

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 0#p3395230

You are all such awesome humans (or, if not human, awesome beings!). I am so glad I was part of it.

MWAH!!!
Buffygirl

PS - The fact that so many of you still have a profile pic with one of my hats makes my heart happy!!!

Rosewinsall wrote:Aloha

Hi! The Old Ones are returning! :D
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:24 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Hi! The Old Ones are returning! :D

If the ONGoing story is set before Time, are the Old Ones the New Ones?
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 am UTC

methinks that that rope wasn't actually intended to be a hammock. The beanie was probably just slacking off on earthquake watchin' duty.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:57 am UTC

Time...
How interesting you are.

Like so many other things;
I know, I will never know.

And; That's ok.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:56 am UTC

Welcome back Rosewinsall and Buffygirl! (I guess you're my hat-grandma too; I was hatted indirectly by BlitzGirl, who was hatted by you. Does the indirectness of my behatting make you my hat-grandma-in-law?)

Indeed, there is so much going on now! They heard we like ONGs so they put ONGs in our ONGs so we can ONG while we ONG!

One thing I notice is that the "stop sign" text is below where I would expect it (even lower case); perhaps its a two-word sign? Unusual for an important sign, but who knows what happens in eleven thousand odd years.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:14 am UTC

ucim wrote:One thing I notice is that the "stop sign" text is below where I would expect it (even lower case); perhaps its a two-word sign? Unusual for an important sign, but who knows what happens in eleven thousand odd years.

That depends on what the proto-Beanish word for "stop" is. If, for example, it starts with the same character(s) as the third word from the right in the second-to-last line on the warning sign, then the round part of the character(s) uses only about half the height of the word, and it would be expected to be found at the position where it is. The same situaton would result, of course, if the "stop" word uses any of the other characters that protrude the height of the round part we see here.

ETA a picture to clarify:
The OtherWiki shows this example of a stop sign from Inuit-speaking communities in Nunavut, Canada:

If you remove the English "STOP", centre the Inuit word on the sign, and look only at the first symbol, it would appear to be too low.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

AluisioASG

SNAKE, IT'S A SNAKE

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:ETA a picture to clarify:

I think Corinne is throwing a party.
Why haven't we been invited?
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0144

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 am UTC

GONGERLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

OzInNSsjLichKyMcGxcTJR0VCgoIEw4JGRMMSTwyNigaaxQHagAAaisjZ1dJaiMcKjMwCQ8STkE2UBUMWwUDcB4YajUrTUFBEh8gPjMeaUc6cV1OajwyJRkNQy4iahoUFysqZk5BVUc7dAEBXE1BX1BDAhgZRTYoLyAOT0AvAgcYcz80UT4yVCkiMRAHUzwjYkcpUzoeRTMdQS4ainVkW0Emknxqgm5deGZWb15QcF9Ql4FuhHBfOiMLTycRXEAfalE7gm9gBAsioIl1h1hKm4RxggICBCopBjQzAxgjEDAwbioBdCcBchkEgyMdghYRgzEoFENBhUU6AAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:22 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0145

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:30 am UTC

CARDONGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

KyMcHBcTJR0VLicgNSsjOjInGBMMCwoIRTYoSTwyCw8UKTMxPjMfFiopEw4KDh8fLyAOAgcXAxkZTkFBJRkNTicVUBUMNigaagAAWwYDMhMKBw4iahoUQS4ZaisjaUc7ajQrTkE2Qi4jZU5CZ1dJahQJcV1Ob15QcTsxaj0ydQEAaiQcUzwjVUc7XE1BUT4yX1BERTIdUjoeVSwkcF9Qk3xqOiMLeGZWWUIqinVkZEsxg29geGJPgm5dhlZJhHBfl4Fum4RxoIl1bSMHcyQCchwDBCopAxkjDjAwBjQzIENCgQIBghYShUU6hDYtgyQdAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0146

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

STOCKONGED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

NSsjOTEmLicgKyMcHBcTJR0VEg4KGBMNCwoIRTYoNigaEQ8WLDMvSTwyAxgaFyspPzIeBBkjLyAPAgYYJRkNGzExQi4jTkE2TkFCMhwSUT4yBiAfBg4iUScYTxYQahINWwYEagAAaiMcajQraisjaUc7cV1OZU5Baj0yQS4aZ1dJahoUdQAAcxkUWEIrUjwkVywjdSUeRDIdczMqXE1BVUc7UTkeX1BEOiMLNBoMinVkknxqhHBfcF9Qbl5QeGZWg29ggm5daEs2l4FudWBPhldJm4RxoIl1BCkpBjAvHUFABjMyhlNHhUY7gzAoghURggICgyIcAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

balthasar_s

BTTBAA: 832

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

The sign, made rectangular for better character recognition.
Redundant:
Spoiler:
ongsign0.png
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

NoMouse

[t-1_0147] BUTTER DOESN'T GROW ON TREES.

Postby NoMouse » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

The Beanie on the right looks like he's urinatONG on the seismograph. :shock: (And the one on the left is about to do that too. Sorry, that's really what went through my head when seeing this and the previous non-enhanced t-1_frame. :mrgreen: )
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Molpy alert!

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

Here's an animation of the main story so far.

Spoiler:
Note the molpy in the last few frames: under the second tree.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964

Re: [t-1_0147] BUTTER DOESN'T GROW ON TREES.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:The Beanie on the right looks like he's urinatONG on the seismograph. :shock: (And the one on the left is about to do that too. Sorry, that's really what went through my head when seeing this and the previous non-enhanced t-1_frame. :mrgreen: )

Great. Can't unsee. :)

I don't understand what the hiddenONGs are doing. We're panning up, yes? Think we'll see something on that roof to the right? And why couldn't we see the whole stop sign? :( It might have helped decode some of the sign. I know, I know,
Spoiler:
heehee

That larger sign is interesting. It isn't just hanging on the fence; the links are embedded in the sign. Does that mean something?

Hi, Rosewinsall!

Preview edit: Wow, mscha, how did you spot that molpy? Even watching closely, I had a hard time seeing it. That's why you're the Molpy Hunter. I really need to work on that story....

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

moody7277

Re: BTTBAA: 832

Postby moody7277 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The sign, made rectangular for better character recognition.
Redundant:
Spoiler:
ongsign0.png

"By order of the Tarifa Board of Construction, this building is scheduled for demolition 27 Oct 2983." or some such. Panning back to see the big bada boom.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:18 pm UTC

Seems likely. But I still want to know what the ch*rp that little thing was running around in there.

Good news! I PMed tresoldi to see if xe wanted to check out the writing and weigh in. Xe's on vacation but will do that on his return. Yay!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:02 pm UTC

I have spent some time in retroketchup to find the start of the currentONGs, happened to find a link to yappobiscuit's Basementee Rapsody :applause:, and then I found The Start. And I know something about the day it started: it was New Year's Eve of Anno Mundi 5776, in the Jewish calendar.
According to Wikipedia: "AM 5776 began at sunset on 13 September 2015 and will end at sunset on 2 October 2016."

I am not sure of the significance. It might make more sense to start a new story on a New Year's Day instead. So maybe it's just a coincidence. The date on the sign is probably not in the Jewish calendar, since there were few skyscrapers in Spain in AM 2983, and since it written with Arabic numerals.

Well, Happy New Year and ONG, anyway. I predict that Th* *nd will come on 2 October 2016.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:I have spent some time in retroketchup to find the start of the currentONGs, happened to find a link to yappobiscuit's Basementee Rapsody :applause:, and then I found The Start. And I know something about the day it started: it was New Year's Eve of Anno Mundi 5776, in the Jewish calendar.
According to Wikipedia: "AM 5776 began at sunset on 13 September 2015 and will end at sunset on 2 October 2016."

I am not sure of the significance. It might make more sense to start a new story on a New Year's Day instead. So maybe it's just a coincidence. The date on the sign is probably not in the Jewish calendar, since there were few skyscrapers in Spain in AM 2983, and since it written with Arabic numerals.
[url][/url]
Well, Happy New Year and ONG, anyway. I predict that Th* *nd will come on 2 October 2016.

Since Jewish holidays generally (always?) start at sunset, it would definitely make sense to start on New Year's Eve, as it were. That can't be a coincidence, can it? But what does it mean?

ETA from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Gibraltar:
[quote=Wikipedia"]There has been a Jewish presence in Gibraltar for more than 650 years. There have been periods of persecution, but for the most part the Jews of Gibraltar have prospered and been one of the largest religious minorities in the city, where they have made contributions to the culture, defence, and Government of Gibraltar.

Significantly, the Jews of Gibraltar have faced almost no official anti-Semitism during their time in the city. During Gibraltar's tercentenary celebration, Jonathan Sacks, the Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Commonwealth, was quoted as saying, "In the dark times of expulsion and inquisition, Gibraltar lit the beacon of tolerance," and that Gibraltar "is probably the community where Jews have been the most integrated."[/quote]

One of the languages they speak is something called Ladino. I hoped it would look like the writing in the hiddenONGs, but it looks more like Hebrew: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ladino.htm

I also found out there's a cultural groups of Gibraltarians, also called Llanitos. They have a language called Llanito, although it typically is not written.

Then there's this article about the languages of Gibraltar. I wonder if the current alphabet is descended from Hebrew or Arabic or some combination thereof?
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

BTTBAA: 843, t-1_0148

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:14 pm UTC

The whole sign is visible!
Also, the sign is on the left side of the gate. (I think it's a gate)
148:
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Redundant:
ongsign1.png
ongsign1.png (56.56 KiB) Viewed 6533 times
BSTA

AluisioASG

Re: BTTBAA: 843, t-1_0148

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The whole sign is visible!

I see a bicycle. Maybe with a longer front and sans the guiding thing.
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”