1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0236

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

JONGALLS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

EzRUHUJdHkZhI0tkKFRrLFxzL2F3N22CPHWJP32RRoeZUIyfVaCvXrLDYrjKV6a4XrC-UZutU56xQX6RSo6hTZSmXK-AES9QEStMID9XFzFODyNGIkVdDh1BM2Z7MF5yQHyOEB9CZr-QacTVDBU9Cww5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

A ddactyl! and a reply poem! molpish! If jjjdavidson could see us now.

That stream of water bursting through is probably the opposite of burbulent though.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0237

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

AMONGST...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

EzRUHUJdHkZhI0tkKVRrLFxyL2F3M2Z7N22CO3WJP32RQX6RRoeZUY6hV6a4YrjKXK7AUZutU56xTZSnSo6hES9QID9XFzFOEStMDyNGIkVcMF5yXrLDDh1BQHyOZr-QEB9CacPVDBU9Cww5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

Burbulent? No, that must be bermulent water. In the black-and-white frame, I mean. The hiddenONG water looks more like ordinary schmurbulence. (Hope you are impressed by my fluid dynamics knowledge.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

NoMouse

WOTTEROTTERMOLPIES RUN WHEN A MOLPISH VITSSÅGEN GOES TO WAR

Postby NoMouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

I have a feeling that I'm missing some important reference... :oops: I've no idea what you people keep talking about on the last two newpages.

Can I kindly ask someone to
Spoiler:
?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

taixzo

Re: WOTTEROTTERMOLPIES RUN WHEN A MOLPISH VITSSÅGEN GOES TO

Postby taixzo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I have a feeling that I'm missing some important reference... :oops: I've no idea what you people keep talking about on the last two newpages.

Can I kindly ask someone to
Spoiler:
?

Do you mean the SMBC Comic?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

_MOUNTAINOSITY 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO_

Postby mrob27 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I have a feeling that I'm missing some important reference… :oops: I've no idea what you people keep talking about on the last two newpages.

You might want to tell us what it is that merits explanation, for example you might want to quote some specific words from a specific post.
  Failing that, I have to guess. When the rope in this image was first seen, @moody7277 suggested that it was "a leak", i.e. there is water coming out of the large flat black thing (thought to be a purpose-built hard wall). @HES, @lmjb1964, @ZoomanSP, @ucim, and @mikrit all jumped on board this idea.
  Simultaneously the images with the altered colour palette, like this image have been interpreted as one kind of fluid pouring down into another. @ucim, OTT:2392:16 has a thorough if speculative description of both fluid interpretations.
  @NoMouse expressed healthy skepticism, leading to the keystone post by @HES, OTT:2392:26, introducing the words turbulent and laminar, and wordplay that inspired @mikrit, thence @DrSamCarter with a classic double-dactyl and more wordplay that pretty much brings us to this moment.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

NoMouse

Re: WOTTEROTTERMOLPIES RUN WHEN A MOLPISH VITSSÅGEN GOES TO

Postby NoMouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Do you mean the SMBC Comic?

I'm not sure? I meant the turbulent stuff... At first I thought it was just plain OTTish but Google apparently knows the phrase "turbulence schmurbulence" yet none of the results provides any explanation.

ETA: @mrob27 Oh, sorry for not being clear... I was more or less reacting to the previous post by mikrit that was full of the strange wordplay. The double-dactyl thingy must be it although I'm not sure I understand how that works. Me not being a native English speaker is probably the root cause of this misunderstanding. :oops:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mrob27

SAVE THE EPSILON, SAVE THE WORLD

Postby mrob27 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

Ahh, that helps. The double-dactyl is a poem of eight lines formed of two stanzas with the stress pattern:

/ - - / - -
 / - - / - -
 / - - / - -
 / - - /

and with one or two additional characteristics. @jjjdavidson is particularly fond of this form of poetry and told the OTT about it in post OTT:655:0. It is not a particularly serious or formal poetic form. I suppose it is a little less silly than the limerick; ideally suited for the OTT. A lot of OTTers wrote little poems like this, and from time to time someone will write another. Many are collected on the Double-Dactyls OTT Wiki page. It is one of the things that connects us to the beginning of the thread.
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

LEGO? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' LEGO.

Postby NoMouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm UTC

Ok, I'm starting to ketchup... I still don't know where the "schmurbulence" (or "schmaminar") comes from, though. How is that even pronounced? English-like (s-k-murbulence) or german-like (sh-murbulence)? Is the "schm-" prefix something typical for a double dactyl?

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0238

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

ANKLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

EzRUHUJdHkZhI0tkKFRrLFxzL2F4N22CPHWJP32RRoeZTZSmV6a4YrjKXrC-U56xUZutM2d7QX6RSo6hXa-AES9QID9XFzFOIkVcEStMDyNGXrLDMF5yQXyODh1BEB5BZr-QaMPVDBU9Cww5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

Ah. The construction "<some word> shm-<some word>" is an American idiom, I think, possibly originating in Yiddish. Although HES is British, I believe.

Anyway: when someone claims something, using <some word>, and you disagree, distrust, or think it is irrelevant, you can reply with "<some word> shm-<some word>. I guess it is not so polite, but not directly rude either. (I think, but why should you trust a Swede on this?)

You would usually remove leading consonants of <some word> before adding shm-.

So, for example:
- General Custer, sir, these Indians may be elite warriors.
- Warriors shmarriors!

- To be or not to be, that is the question.
- Question shmestion, just avenge your father already.

So, HES agreed that if water was ejected through a breach in a dam wall, then it ought to appear turbulent rather than laminar. (I kind of assume that laminar flow is the opposite of turbulent). But then, he wrote "laminar, shmaminar", which I interpreted as "we cannot expect to see realistic laminar flow in a black-and-white 2D stickman cartoon". So, I nitpicked on that, reasoning: surely he meant that we cannot expect to see realistic turbulent flow. Hence, he should have written "turbulent, shmurbulent".

My main reason for nitpicking was to get the chance to use the word "shmurbulent". It is funny word in my eyes.

Hm, and then the double dactyl poem gave us the word "burbulent", which is nice because it rhymes. Whether it means something or alludes to something else, I don't know. But I was thinking: this is a berm (unless it is a tower), so the word should be "bermulent". So that was just my lame attempt at making a p*n (so lame that it sneaked under the punsaw radar).

So, "shmurbulent" and "burbulent" and "bermulent" is not old established OTTish, but new OTTish being born, perhaps.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:Hm, and then the double dactyl poem gave us the word "burbulent", which is nice because it rhymes. Whether it means something or alludes to something else, I don't know. But I was thinking: this is a berm (unless it is a tower), so the word should be "bermulent". So that was just my lame attempt at making a p*n (so lame that it sneaked under the punsaw radar).

"Burbulent" may be a reference to Jabberwocky.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

ONE CASTRAFTLE DOES NOT A BLITZROCKET MAKE

Postby mrob27 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:24 pm UTC

@mikrit answered it better than I can. The double-dactyls do something similar, which is to start with a pair of "words" that exploit rhyming, clanging and alliteration, in which both are made up, or maybe the first is real (but never both real), or both are something sensible that is distorted to make it rhyme. Most do not use a 'sch-' anywhere:

Basementers dwasementers
  Doubledy dactyldy
  Trippetty troppety
  Mandala Randall-a
  Wat-ə-er, ott-ə-er

(all taken from the Double-Dactyls OTT Wiki page). As @mikrit said, something is being ridiculed in a friendly, non-threatening way. I don't know what that kind of wordplay is calledD. There is also a lot of usage of suffix -y, which I assume is imitating the diminutive suffix -ey/-ie/-y (daddy, dearie, doggie, Frankie, granny).

DI spent quite a while looking, and learned that Dog Latin is a thing. How did I get so far in life without knowing there is a Dog Latin? :D But we digress…

NoMouse

CROUCHING BUNGALOW, HIDDEN ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALL

Postby NoMouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

mikrit, mrob27: Thank you very much! Finally this language mystery has been solved for me! Image Now I understand everything. Ok, you can continue in your discussion. Discussion schmiscussion.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:35 pm UTC

Oh, the Jabberwocky was burbling? And burble is a real verb? Ah yes, I just looked it up, and it can mean "to make a sound like water flowing". Then water is burbulent! (As is the Jabberwock. I mean was. RIP.)

And this is ironic: "to burble" can also mean, "to talk fast about something for a long time, especially in a way that annoys people because they cannot understand what you are saying". I am not making this up, it is from the Macmillan dictionary via onelook.com.

So, I have to apologize for being burbulent in the thread. (Hope that phrasing doesn't make things worse...)

By the way, I have seen the shm- spelling as well as schm-, so I have always assumed that it is a soft sh sound, no k. Although I spell English better than I speak it.

Edit to add: my favourite Dog Latin is the motto of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch: "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC".
Probably redundant:
Spoiler:
"MAKE MY DAY, PUNK."
Last edited by mikrit on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

I saw HES's "laminar schmaminar" and then mikrit's "turbulent schmurbulent" (which I spell with an schm- because I assume the Yiddish origin, and somehow associate schm- with that, for no well-founded reason at all), and then it occurred to be that both phrases were double dactyls, and so I wanted to do a double dactyl poem, but I couldn't think of a rhyme for laminar (because it is often the case -- but not an absolute requirement -- that the second line of a double-dactyl poem rhymes with the first) but then I couldn't think of a rhyme for turbulent either, but then the idea of water burbling (sort of bubbling and gurgling as it flows over stuff) gave me the totally made up word "burbulent" (which I think is a perfectly cromulentHoover word, by the way, and although it has no connection to Jabberwocky it is probably in that same spirit), but I do quite like mikrit's suggestion of "bermulent" as an alternative, even though it is more of a half-rhyme.

^^^^ And that kind of stream-of-consciousness is pretty much the underlying explanation for most of the OTT, I suspect

Hoover Invented in an episode of the Simpsonsdisclaimer, where it was used by Miss Hoover, a teacher.
honest truth Not that I have actually seen it, but it has passed into popular culture sufficiently far for me to have bumped into it.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 pm UTC

This is all gold. :)

As a native English speaker, I can confirm that these get pronounced sh-

The Little Wonder is painting her arm - fingertips to elbow - with honey and licking it off. Hygiene, schmygiene.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

Oh, I do like the word "cromulent". I have seen the episode. Miss Krabappel talks about the Springfield motto: "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man", and remarks: "I hadn't heard the word 'embiggen' before I moved to Springfield". And Miss Hoover replies: "I don't know why; it's a perfectly cromulent word".

Eternal Density

"I WANT THE BRAINSLUG!" / "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BRAINSLUG!"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:26 pm UTC

I just stumbled across something kinda RELATED:
I opened a list of "Things Jurassic World Employees are No Longer Allowed to Do" on the SpaceBattle forum, and the very first item is:
1. Do not taunt the Compies. They may be small, but there's always twenty more than you think there are.

Compy compy compy compy
Compy compy compy compy
Compy compy compy compy
Raptor raptor!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

TWO TURTLEMOLP RAPTORS

Postby HES » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:58 pm UTC

ED: No kinda about it! That's an OTTer in disguise!

mikrit wrote:Ah. The construction "<some word> shm-<some word>" is an American idiom, I think, possibly originating in Yiddish. Although HES is British, I believe

Indeed, but most of my television is American.

I guess it is not so polite, but not directly rude either.

It's dismissive, I suppose. But more importantly, fun to say.
Last edited by HES on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1571

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

STRONGINESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PUSH BUTTON, RECEIVE VESTS-OF-MANY-POCKETSES

-- posted by randompixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: TWO TURTLEMOLP RAPTORS

Postby SBN » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:26 pm UTC

HES wrote:ED: No kinda about it! That's an OTTer in disguise!

mikrit wrote:Ah. The construction "<some word> shm-<some word>" is an American idiom, I think, possibly originating in Yiddish. Although HES is British, I believe

Indeed, but most of my television is American.

I guess it is not so polite, but not directly rude either.

It's dismissive, I suppose. But more importantly, fun to say.

I think it's often a way to say, "You're right, but ..." Or, "I know I'm wrong, but ..." (Which is not exactly the same thing.) Once the Little Wonder has already applied the honey, and begun licking it off, allowing the licking off to proceed may be the cleanest solution. (For some definitions of clean.)

So yes, dismissive, but kind of self-dismissive. And, fun to say.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 am UTC

Wow, the OTT is just burbling with discussion and general awesomefulness todip! Loved the dobule dactyls, and hi, DrSamCarter!

mikrit wrote:Ah. The construction "<some word> shm-<some word>" is an American idiom, I think, possibly originating in Yiddish. Although HES is British, I believe.

Anyway: when someone claims something, using <some word>, and you disagree, distrust, or think it is irrelevant, you can reply with "<some word> shm-<some word>. I guess it is not so polite, but not directly rude either. (I think, but why should you trust a Swede on this?)

You would usually remove leading consonants of <some word> before adding shm-.

So, for example:
- General Custer, sir, these Indians may be elite warriors.
- Warriors shmarriors!

- To be or not to be, that is the question.
- Question shmestion, just avenge your father already.

So, HES agreed that if water was ejected through a breach in a dam wall, then it ought to appear turbulent rather than laminar. (I kind of assume that laminar flow is the opposite of turbulent). But then, he wrote "laminar, shmaminar", which I interpreted as "we cannot expect to see realistic laminar flow in a black-and-white 2D stickman cartoon". So, I nitpicked on that, reasoning: surely he meant that we cannot expect to see realistic turbulent flow. Hence, he should have written "turbulent, shmurbulent".

My main reason for nitpicking was to get the chance to use the word "shmurbulent". It is funny word in my eyes.

Hm, and then the double dactyl poem gave us the word "burbulent", which is nice because it rhymes. Whether it means something or alludes to something else, I don't know. But I was thinking: this is a berm (unless it is a tower), so the word should be "bermulent". So that was just my lame attempt at making a p*n (so lame that it sneaked under the punsaw radar).

So, "shmurbulent" and "burbulent" and "bermulent" is not old established OTTish, but new OTTish being born, perhaps.

Much :azuling: here. I did appreciate "bermulent" when I saw it. I'm not totally sure that's a pun, but just in case: Image

I'd be curious to know in whose eyes "shmurbulent" is NOT a funny word.

I had not heard of "Cromulent" before. I shall have to start using it.

Also, honey is supposedly a natural antibiotic, so The Little Wonder should be just fine.

I have a rehearsal tonight that involves a rather tricky piece for marimba. I should practice. Practice shmactice.

But really, I have to go and practice.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0239

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:30 am UTC

UNCONGENIALITIES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

EzRUHUJdHkZhI0xkKVRrLFxyM2d7Nm2BPHWJP3yRRoeZV6a4YrjKVaCvUZutXrHDTZSmSo6hU56xQX6RL2F3Xa-AES9QEStMID9XFzJOIkVcDh1BDyNGMF5yMFxvQXyOEB5BZr-QUY2gaMPVDBU9Cww5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:40 am UTC

Apparently someone dropped a cello in the water in the hiddenONGs.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:43 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Apparently someone dropped a cello in the water in the hiddenONGs.
Oh no! Don't tell me the Riverish Theater by the Big is at it again! Better guard those kettledrums and marimas!

I wonder if that black banana is the Gibraltar Bridge. It could, I suppose, be a rope or railing, with perspective playing tricks. But if we annoy TheMinim enough, we'll find out.

ggh wrote:This is all gold. :)
Gold schmold! This is Semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice!

Those double dactyls bring me warm fuzzies from the old days! Neat mikrit, DrSamCarter, and mrob27 (though mrob's has a bonus of up to 20%, or more!)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 am UTC

New OtherComic.

Also, a new message on the xkcd page:
GLR wrote:We've almost eradicated polio. For World Polio Day, I drew a comic about the eradication efforts. You can see it on Bill Gates's blog.
My new book of complex diagrams and simple words comes out Nov 24th.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:28 am UTC

- I think I recognize those two Stoor-hobbits over there, who have just found a golden ring, but I am not sure if I remember their names. Isn't one of them Deagol?
- Deagol shmeagol!
- Yeah, that's right. Thank you.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0240

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:30 am UTC

UNMONGLES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

EzRUHEJdHkZiI0xkKVRrLFxzM2Z7N22BPHWIP3yRRoeZUIyfV6a4XrC-YrjKXa-AU56xTZSmUZutQX6RSo6hES9QEStMID9WGDJODyNGMF5yL2F3Dh1BIkVcMFxvXrHDQXyOEB5BZr-QacPVEBw-Cww5DBU9AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:38 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
GLR wrote:We've almost eradicated polio. For World Polio Day, I drew a comic about the eradication efforts. You can see it on Bill Gates's blog.
Shouldn't there be a needle-pull for it?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: Time After Time: t-1_0240

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:58 am UTC

newpixbot wrote:UNMONGLES...
Spoiler:

WaterSemencoffeecancerbacon-molpy!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Re: Time After Time: t-1_0240

Postby ucim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:26 am UTC

newpixbot, masquerading as mscha wrote:UNMONGLES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

Is that a molpy in the thingwearecallingastreamfornow?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0241

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:30 am UTC

FLYONGH...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

EzRUHkZhI0xkKVRrLFxzM2Z7N22CPHWJP32RRoeZU56xWKa4YrjJVaCvUZutXrHDSo6hTZSmL2F3HEJdQX6RXa-AES9QID9WGDJOEStMIkVcDyNGQXyOMF5yDh1BMFxvEB5BZr-QacTVEBw-DBU9Cww5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

48th centapost!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:31 am UTC

I'm really enjoying the word discussion that's been ongoing. I'd like to be able to announce some news about my website but all I really have is a TODO list so this will have to suffice:
Spoiler:
Shmenis!

Ninja'd by newpixbot!!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

FTFY

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:35 am UTC

ETA: animation of the current scene:
Spoiler:
Looks way too static for flowing water, no matter if it is burbulent or schmurbulent. There's some rippling going on but that's it.
The schmolpy seems to have flown off.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:58 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:Hoover Invented in an episode of the Simpsonsdisclaimer, where it was used by Miss Hoover, a teacher. .

I always thought it was in the Blackadder episode where Blackadder is making up realistic sounding words to mess with the guy who wrote the first English dictionary. I just checked a couple of transcripts and it turns out that it wasn't Blackadder.

Still an awesomefull scene though.

lmjb1964 wrote:I had not heard of "Cromulent" before.

Why, it's a perfect cromulent word!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Apparently someone dropped a cello in the water in the hiddenONGs.

Not an upright bass?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:44 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

DrSamCarter

Re: FTFY

Postby DrSamCarter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:55 am UTC

mscha wrote:Image

Snortle*

I wondered why it took so long for this kind of manip to happen, but then I realised the boy had to come all the way from the USA and not the Netherlands like I expected (I learned something new today about the origins of the story: the little Dutch boy is fictional (and is not even Hans Brinker)).

By the way, those of you who recall GLR's password comic http://xkcd.com/936/may be interested in this article http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/researchers-discover-the-perfect-password-thats-also-easy-to-remember-20151023-gkgxh1.html

* Snortle is a snickering chortle that involves a loud nasal intake of breath that can be embarrassing when delivered in public. It's another cromulent word.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”