1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

time after Time: t-1_0260

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:05 am UTC

DECREE: GIVE ME YOUR OTHERRIVERWADONGISH, YOUR STEAMBOTTLISH, YOUR YAPPOCISED MOLPOSSUM YEARNING TO :AZULE: MOLPISHLY -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

-- posted by lmjbot

enhancement after Time: t-1_0260
27 Oct 2015, 8:05 UTC
IF EVERY OTTER IN CHATEAU D'IF POSTED A BADGERMOLP AT THE BUTTER AT THE SAME TIME, WOULD IT CHONGE MUSTARDINESS? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

-- posted by lmjbot

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:08 am UTC

ninjafence! It was here all the time but not noticed.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

NO, NEWPIXBOT, YOU ARE THE SQUIRPY

Postby mrob27 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Indeed, I just noticed the ninjafence too! Image

balthasar_s wrote:It's much easier when you're SilentTimer:

My regex golf solution is /c|g|ja|ma|ly/ or equivalently /c|g|[jm]a|ly/. Can anyone improve it?

Code: Select all

$ regexgolf.py +january -february +march -april +may -june +july +august -september +october -november +december
 c|g|ja|ma|ly

(I'm thinking of adding a postoptimiser using regexes like s/([^.])([^.])\|([^.])\2/\[\1\3\]\2/)

Thanks for all the observations2, @Sustainibiliser! You are much more observationistilic than I…
remapt_0199 to 0203 aren't identical.

I wouldn't expect 0199 and 0200 to be identical, because in 0199 a bit of the wheelbot (or its shadow) is still visible to the left of robotruck's hose. And of course 0202 et seq. have a big difference :D, so only 0200 and 0201 need to be checked. How did you compare them? You need to run them through some kind of image conversion in order to discard the information from the "Beanie frames".

hujackus wrote:Does anyone know what language the server is likely running when it hands out the image urls?

I know they use a lot of fairly unique stuff. For example, one or two things (including Umwelt, whose engine is on github) are done in Haskell. According to @davéan, Many parts of xkcd are implemented with Haskell, including "two new sites [not] released yet" as of 2012 June. So that would be the language to check.
   Hmmm… Image Isn't it against the rules of Haskell to query the current time? That would violate their "purely-functional" paradigm… O_o as he remembers that time his Haskell-expert friend needed to add 50 more lines to a 6-line Mandelbrot calculation function, forcing imperative-style flow control just to measure how much time the calculation takes… Image
  Then again, there's always Lisp or Perl :roll:
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:49 am UTC

Wowterfallish epilogy, @hujackus!
Looks like you're going to be right about 2016 and 2017 – unless it's a coincidence that a 3-by-3 rectangle appears in two places (which is certainly possible, we're good at finding patterns that don't really exist). For 2018 and further, it indeed takes more guesswork, not just from fig. 2 and 3 as you mention, but also whether the hash is done on a hexadecimal value (as you suggest in the image, and others, including me, have proposed as well) or if it's done on a string (ASCII values; as you suggest in the pseudo-code).
My head is spinning now, I'll look further when I have some more Time.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:19 am UTC

ucim wrote:
mikrit wrote:... although I think the rythm stutters. "BOOK-mak-ER bi-BI" doesn't sound natural
I'd normally pronounce it "BI-bi", so don't see an issue.
[...]
Jose

Well yes, me too. But "BI-bi" is a trochee, so pronouncing it like that would wreck the iambic tetrameter. It would just be a jammed tetrameter. (Mmmm ... jam ...)

My little horse would think it strange
To see the meter so deranged.
If he could speak, what would he say?
A Frosty look, and then a "Nay!".
(Based on the second verse of Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.)

But of course trochees can be useful. A double trochee poem (a genre that I just invented) is about 33% more compact than a double dactyl, and it is much easier to come up with the single-word line.

Higgle, piggle!
Password poems
Are a quaint ab-
surdity.

Scientists have
Thus created
Artificial
Nerdity.

By the way, on this topic, there is a scene where Calvin is forced to say an extremely long tiger-praising password poem, to make Hobbes lower the rope ladder from their treehouse. ("...Tigers are nimble and light on their toes. / My respect for tigers constantly grows." etc. etc.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:45 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Acts of the Clerics.
Awesomeful. Baobabs. Neat.
Waiting rewarded.

What he said!

The idea that finding BlitzGirl and Kieryn is up to the First Cleric should be pretty terrifying (even without him being on the wrong side of the BlitzRocket), but somehow the great poetry makes it less scary. :)

I've really been missing AotC lately, so thank you thank you thank you, Jose!

ETA: Hi Valarya!

Heh, treeish manips, Whizbang and ergman!

So glad you posted the cello diffusion, mscha! I was hoping you would. It's really pretty - I wonder what software it was done in....

ETA2: Oh Laura Mae - I think you may deserve this. I remember this from the radio (Dr Demento) when I was a kid - I'm not sure the video can equal what your imagination might....

Okay, there's more I want to say, but that's enough until I get the leopard plugged in again.
Last edited by ggh on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0261

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

LONGUISHERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

dH17bHBrXGJeS1FUTFFORklKRE1SPUpROURJV1ZUODk3foaCZFtTio+HaWRZm5yMn6CRVUtDTEM8eYB7nZ+QN0E-XFJJND5FRDw3LkBCUUc+QT9BoqKQYVZMiIh1LT5BLkA-n6COoZ6EpaOLLC4xHisxKCYmFx4kGSEonZl+LDs9gXZfoJx-ExcaOzMsQjcuUDYUVkwOW0gsblEYcGENelQkh1skmGQmiV4uj2MzpmwoDRMVFBIIHiEULSUYLTQGKhoIIR4dMy0pBQcIVD0nCw4RMzQFcllDbVEwaVsIKiwEYT8Xg1UeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

The Bibi poem scans fine by my eyes. Yes, the feet aren't pure, but the rhythm can still dance.

I'd big myself out but I don't know what I'm doing. :)

Thanks ggh - I'd been missing First Cleric too, and didn't want an entire century to go without him. (It's been dancing in my head, like many things that once thought are thought done, but are not.)

ggh wrote:So glad you posted the cello diffusion, mscha! I was hoping you would. It's really pretty - I wonder what software it was done in....
Looks like Steam to me. There were a few OTTers who went off into designing some Time world in there; I don't remember who they were (I don't remember much of anything anymore!); perhaps that's the source.

ggh wrote:Okay, there's more I want to say, but that's enough until I get the leopard plugged in again.
Electric Leopard is the parent company of VHF.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:12 pm UTC

Okay - plugged in again....

Hujackus - thanks for that awesomeful explanation - that is so cool!

I'm curious about that cdef block... your current version looks like it fits for a few reasons - what are the arguments for your previous guess?

I never tried the hexadecimal approach myself, but I do really like it - those sets of two never sat well with me.... I never quite got how folks were proposing that it worked though - it was like a dumb mental block I had - so thanks for drawing it out in a way that made me understand.

Seeing Patterns in Weird Places is pretty chirpin' neato. That the two Es are next to 13 and 14 though could be just coincidence though, right? I mean, the EDB goes with year 13 and hour 14 and the EAC does the reverse, so for year 16, you're looking to hour 11. If the 13 and 14 turn out not to be significant, then maybe 2013 isn't either. That block of 9 occurs in 2014 and twice in 2015 as well if you include the hexadecimal slots. In those cases, the prediction for the next two years would be the same, but then there's conflict over 2018.

At any rate, the repetition you found between the frames and the highly compacted notation is exciting - it suggests something fractal or a simple and elegant underlying mechanism. I can't wait to see it revealed!

I had come to the same conclusion/suspicion you did in Figure 4, that the data could be further compacted to just 3 characters for a year, and that's what I was hoping to test at the start of the year, but that's as far as I got. I've never been sure whether we're looking for a message in the epilogue or a pattern, or even which one I'm hoping it will be. 3 characters gives us 125 codes, which I was thinking gives us the main body of ascii - could we be getting a message at one letter per year? I liked the idea, but I didn't find anything that looked promising as a mapping for those first three years. I can't remember any more what I tried... it was a long time ago. Anyways, finding the underlying pattern would get me off the hook for looking for that, and that would be pretty great, in addition to the other 18 ways in which it would be awesomeful. :)

Gotta get some sleep....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

NoMouse

I THWAPPED _ALL_ THE EQUIMOLPIES

Postby NoMouse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ENHANCE!
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

Wait...
ENHANCE2!
Is this IT? Our pliers-traffic-cone-mustard-thingy?

RSIR:
Spoiler:
t-1_0261_enhance_enhanced.png
t-1_0261_enhance_enhanced.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 9248 times
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0262

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

ONGOONGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

cnZseYB7XWJbVlVUS1FTR0lJPUpRRE1SND5FOTg3h4yDOURIZFpTTFJOXFJJnJyJZ2Vbn6CQi4lzo6OQn6CORDw3LUFCVUtDQD9CNkE-YVZMTEM8oZ6EcWlXpaOLfoBtLkA-UUc+LD5BmZd9LDs+Fx4kGSEoHikwLS4xiohxoJx-KCYmExcaxoAvrnc4lGU1JyMdHSEPFRMIDRMVLTQGV04PcGENdFlDb1IwIR8gKRoIIR4dMy0pOzMsCw4RBQcIQjcuTjQTXEowVTwnNykSalwIb1EXKisEMjQFYj4Wh1YdiVsnmGQmpWworXEtt3crAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:18 pm UTC

Forgot to say that I muchly enjoyed mscha's Dutch Boy manip, and ergman's--whatever that thing was. Reminded me of one of these.

And cool stuff with the epilogue sequence, hujackus! At some point I want to sit down and study it, and see if I can understand what you epiloguers see. If not, I'll just admire the pretty colors. :D

I totally missed that little thing in the hiddenONGs. I don't see any orange traffic cone on him, though.

I like the double trochee poems, mikrit! Someday literary students will be studying that poetry form and praising your name. :)

I have to say, the Beanies don't look particularly alarmed by what appears to be a huge breach in the dam-like thing. But wait--are they holding hands again? Have they realized the end is nigh, and they want to consummate their love in a final blaze of passion? Image

Edit to make it one love. Maybe they have more than one love, I don't know.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0263

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

COMBONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

RU1SOURISElIPEpRTFJTOTg2S1JNVlZUiY2Be3xrVUtDZ2VbZFpTXFJJoZ6EpaOLmpmFa25iND5EQD9BiolzTEM8YlZMf4BuRDw3N0E+h2VGXGJZUUc+LUFCkI95LD5BGiEnLS4xJycnLDs+Fx4koJx-l5V9DBMWy4MvgoJuOzMsLUA-LCYYMzQFMy0pQjcuWUgvbVMwdVpDcmZUIR8gFBgaGRkFHSEULTMFKSsEKRoITzQTVT0nCw4RIR4dEQ4JBQcIalwIZFgNcFQWlmQsiVsph1YdYj4Vqm8ruHcrwn4uAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I have to say, the Beanies don't look particularly alarmed by what appears to be a huge breach in the dam-like thing. But wait--are they holding hands again? Have they realized the end is nigh, and they want to consummate their love in a final blaze of passion? Image
You maritime folk! Sorry to say, they are not holding hands. They are hands to mouth: "Oh My Randall!" and in the latest bwONG, are rushing to the splurtz controller.

Meanwhile, in the cONGs, our traffic cone mouse* seems to be playing pick-up-sticks. They are exceptionally bright sticks; I wonder if they know what they are doing.

*not a molpy

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

Yes, that was posted in the Facebug thread. It's ALL Related.

I still maintain that they're holding hands in 260 and 261.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:03 pm UTC

slinches wrote:This seems related somehow:

https://www.rt.com/news/319788-moon-space-debris-wtf/

Of course it is! WT1190F!
Last edited by mscha on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:33 pm UTC

Yup, that registered immediately as "what the Time ch*rp!"

I would not be surprised if the impact location was miscalculated and it lands just outside of the straight of Gibraltar, with the edge of the impact crater forming a ridge that blocks the opening to the Mediterranean. Thus begins Time.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0264

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:30 am UTC

TONGENCY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

SUhFPEpROERHND5ESlFRRDw3OTc2TEM8VUtEXFJJVlhUfoFvoZ6Eiop1aW5ipaKIZmZcmpmCj5GAkI96QD9AYVZMeXtrZVpSXGNaNkE+UUc+LUFCl5V9LD5BoJx-Ky4xHiswLDs9gYJvFx4kGiEnMi8wjGpKDh0gMy0pLEA-yoIvWkkxGRkEDBQWFBgaKBoIKSoELCUYMzQGOzMsTzQSbVMxc1lEcWROHSEYJycoQjcuUzkkEg0KIR8gIh4dCw4RDhEIBQcILTMFaVsIZVgNcFUViloll2UuYj4WrHEuuHcrw34uzoUxAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Time After Time: t-1_0265

Postby slinches » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 am UTC

Frantically trying to unsprONG the leak.
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

Spoiler:
Original Filename:

OERGS0dDND5EOjc1O0pRUVdSNkE+TEM8XGNaZVpSnZqBpKCFoZ2CmJZ8kY94iIhzfoFwRDw3VUtEQT9Bd3pqXFFJLUFCbnNnoJx-X2hgLD5BfoBuKS4yMS8wKzo9gYJvGysyaG1hZmZcJicoGyInFx4jLEA-cmZUdVpEjmdEHSEXDB4hCxUXGBkEFBgaJyMcNioRQjcuTDYQVkguUToma1MtUUc+Cw4RMy0pYVZMDhEIOzMsIR4cEg0JIR8gBQcILjMFNTUGcFQVZFcOaVsIKSoEilkkmGUvKBoIYT0VsnMtw30uzIQx0ocxyoIvAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png

ENHANCE:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0266

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 am UTC

LONGWALL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

N0VEPUlQS0dCMj1DN0E+Ojc1XGNaiIhyj2hFfoFwfoBudnpqSlROJzY8LD5BJS40ZWdceHZrbXNmMi8wVltULEFCZ21igYJvcWRSK0A-Hz5AH0BC0ocxHi02OzMsFx4jGyInTEM8VUtEXFFJZVpSJicoHSEWCxUYDxEIFBkaGBkEKBoHLSYYQjcuVEgtUUc+bFIvYVZMDiAkHjY8IR8gMy0pCw4RRDw3X2lgIh4cDB4hBgcIQj9BEg0JLTMFWD0kdlpETDUQcFQVYlYOaVsINjUGKSsEiFYdYj4WilspmWUusXMuw34uzIQxyoIvAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:02 am UTC

I think our little bot friend is playing Mikado.

ETA animation of the current scenes
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0267

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

HMONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Kj5BIzQ7OjY1Mz9BNEE+KkJCN0VESlRPhYZygIJvfYFwdnpsdnNpbHNmZ21iQD9BS0dCjWhHMS8wVlxUZWZcHkFCJC42W2NbHT5AUkcsRDw3OzMsTEM8UUc+XFFJYVZMcGZTZVpSVUtEX2lgGyImHSEWCw4RFBkbGBkEFx4jIh4dLicXMy0pJicoIR8gQjcuEQ4JChUYDB4hfYBvBgcIHi03DiAkHTc8VDsldVlDbVIvSTcPKBsINjYGYFQOYj4ValwIKSoELjMFcFMWiVkkmWUtrXEwuXcrw34uyYEvy4Qx0YcxAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1928

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

STRONGBOX...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Hillperson.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:GAZEBO. EPSILON. MOME. VIRGIN. NEWPIX.

-- posted by randompixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I think our little bot friend is playing Mikado.

ETA animation of the current scenes
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I remember playing that game when I was little! Except, we just called it pick-up sticks; I didn't know that the striped sticks had different names.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Yup, that registered immediately as "what the Time ch*rp!"
Indeed. That's unusually RELATED. Maybe it's Down Comer 5. Or Asteroid 4942 Munroe.

I was just wondering about the English name for Plockepinn. I noted that Wikipedia writes that one must follow the rules strictly in order to enjoy the game. Bah! I call "citation needed" on that. How can they know whether I enjoy cheating? Hmm, I suppose Wikipedia has calculated my psychological profile via spyware and mind-reading rays.

ETA: Speaking of space, I just learned about the rather unusual web comic at http://dord.horse/ . I must say I like it.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

balthasar_s

BTTBAA: 910. I'll need a new digit soon.

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:35 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I remember playing that game when I was little! Except, we just called it pick-up sticks; I didn't know that the striped sticks had different names.
I played it and they had different shapes
Spoiler:
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

I played it too and they had different colors, much like the futuremost one from balthasar's.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0268

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

ONGOSTURAS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

KEJDJT1BNkVEIzQ7NEE+OzY0Oz5BTEdCSlRPZWZcg4VygIJvfoJwdntsbHNnZm1iW2NbVVxUXFFJVUtEUUc+TEM8RDw3QjcuZVpScWVSd3RqQD9BMS8wGyMmDiAkFBkbChUYGBgECw4RJiMcHSEVJicoMy0pOzMsimhIIh4dHT9AFx4iEQ4JfYBvX2lgJC41BgcIIR8hHkFCHS02DB4hYVZMU0gsHTc8UjspbFIwUkgMcFIWaVsIb2ERNjYGKSoENiwRSTcOJhoHLjMFdVpEYj4WmGUvrXEvuHcrwn4uyYEvi1spzIQxiFYeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I think our little bot friend is playing Mikado.

I thought it was going to cook spaghetti.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

hujackus

Epilogue Sequence Predictions 2016-2017

Postby hujackus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

Link to last posts on NP2389 and NP2395
mrob27 wrote:
hujackus wrote:Does anyone know what language the server is likely running when it hands out the image urls?

I know they use a lot of fairly unique stuff. For example, one or two things (including Umwelt, whose engine is on github) are done in Haskell. According to @davéan, Many parts of xkcd are implemented with Haskell, including "two new sites [not] released yet" as of 2012 June. So that would be the language to check.
   Hmmm… Image Isn't it against the rules of Haskell to query the current time? That would violate their "purely-functional" paradigm… O_o as he remembers that time his Haskell-expert friend needed to add 50 more lines to a 6-line Mandelbrot calculation function, forcing imperative-style flow control just to measure how much time the calculation takes… Image
  Then again, there's always Lisp or Perl :roll:

Thanks for the information. Yes, if it the program that chooses which frame to show is running Haskell, it probably wouldn't handle the current time directly. The code I posted takes certain liberties that may not align with the real code. Which reminds me. I asked myself a question that scientists usually ask themselves at some point. Do I only care about making predictions or do I only care about the explanation behind the predictions.

I can write code to predict the epilogue sequence and not care about if it looks like the real code as long as the results are the same.
or
I can try to figure out the real code which (in its intermediate form) may or may not produce the epilogue sequence exactly.

I'm a fan of David Deutsch and his views on the importance of good explanations, so I'm leaning towards the later choice. However, guessing if the code is in Haskell or something else is going to be tough, especially when I know other parts of the code use cryptography.

mscha wrote:Wowterfallish epilogy, @hujackus!
Looks like you're going to be right about 2016 and 2017 – unless it's a coincidence that a 3-by-3 rectangle appears in two places (which is certainly possible, we're good at finding patterns that don't really exist). For 2018 and further, it indeed takes more guesswork, not just from fig. 2 and 3 as you mention, but also whether the hash is done on a hexadecimal value (as you suggest in the image, and others, including me, have proposed as well) or if it's done on a string (ASCII values; as you suggest in the pseudo-code).
My head is spinning now, I'll look further when I have some more Time.

I really do wonder about if the digits are hexadecimal or not. The patterns we've seen kind of pop out if we assume that they are, but that is our only clue. In code, I see several possible inputs for a hash function. (And to be clear, I'm defining a general hash function, not a specific or standard cryptographic hash.)

int hash(String fullDateStr){...}                          // hash("YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ")
int hash(String str){...}                                  // hash("YDhh")
int hash(long bits){...}                                   // hash(dateStr.toBits(MASK))
int hash(int year, int dayOfMonth, int hourOfDay){...}     // hash(YYYY, DD, hh)
int hash(int var1, int var2, int var3, int var4 ...){...}  // hash(onesPlaceOfYear, tensPlaceOfDayOfMonth, tensPlaceOfHour, onesPlaceOfHour)

ggh wrote:I'm curious about that cdef block... your current version looks like it fits for a few reasons - what are the arguments for your previous guess?

As you pointed out, the cdef blocks I chose last time didn't look as promising as the current ones. If you change the cdef blocks, it changes the five 1x4 blocks in Fig. 4.
In my previous guess, those five 1x4 blocks would have been ABDC, BCED, CDAE, DEBA, EACB. The relative pattern in these is [0,+1,+2,+4]. I had base two on the brain and I missed the better choice seen in the current guess shown in Fig. 4.

ggh wrote:Seeing Patterns in Weird Places is pretty chirpin' neato. That the two Es are next to 13 and 14 though could be just coincidence though, right? I mean, the EDB goes with year 13 and hour 14 and the EAC does the reverse, so for year 16, you're looking to hour 11.

Yes, the 13s and 14s flip places so it's not perfect. It just leads me to believe that the hash function uses subtraction for the years and addition for the hours. I mean, everything is highly transposable and translatable; why not expect reflections.

I've been trying out some simple hash functions in Excel based off arithmetic functions and though I haven't found the right one, I did find some pretty stuff.Image
Redundant
Spoiler:
neat.png
Last edited by hujackus on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0269

Postby mscha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

YOONGLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

NkZFNEE+IzQ8JD1BTEdCSlRPPlBMJUJEVVxVdnttgoRxd3RqGyMmJicnFBkbCw4RJyQcNC0pMS8wOzY0TEM8VUtEXFFJW2RbcGVUZWdcZmxibHNnfIBvfoFwRDw3UUc+PT5BHSEXEg0JGBgEIh4dDhEIFx4iOzMsQjcuChUYX2lgDB4hIR8gBgcIYVZMJC41JhsHDiAkHkFCHS02ZVpSHT9AVjwlbFIvc1pFU0gsUkgLcFIWaVsIYz4VNjYGKSoELjMGNSwQSjcPiWlLcGERl2UwrXEvuHcrw34twn4yi1smh1YeyoMwHTc8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

Thanks for the animation, mscha! But where did our little robot friend come from? He just sort of appeared.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:But where did our little robot friend come from? He just sort of appeared.
He's small, but he seems to know what he's doing. A Holy Contradiction!

Jose

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:But where did our little robot friend come from? He just sort of appeared.

FWIW the area he appeared in is slightly different from its surroundings.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0270

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 am UTC

CLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

NkZFIzQ8JDxBTEZCP1BMSVRPJENEZWxidnttgYRxMS8wGyMmJicoFBkbCw4RJyQcIh4cIR8gNC0pOzY0N0E+TEM8VUtEVVxUZVpSW2RbZWZca3NoeHRqfIBvXFFJRDw3UUc+GBgEEg0JChUYFx4iQjcuXmlgPD5AHSEXfYFwDB4hDREHBgcIOzMsDiAkJC41YVZMJhsIHS02HkFCUzwpNSwQKSoENjYGbFEvSTcOLjMFUUguU0gMcFMXimdHdVpEYj4Wb2VUaVsIcGERHTc8i1snl2QvrXEvuHcrwn4xh1Yewn0tyoMwHT5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:35 am UTC

mikrit wrote:
ETA: Speaking of space, I just learned about the rather unusual web comic at http://dord.horse/ . I must say I like it.

As do I. Thank you.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:52 am UTC

SBN wrote:
mikrit wrote:

As do I. Thank you.

same! It's interesting, randallesque. humour and intrigue!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0271

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:30 am UTC

ONGARBLED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

NUZFJERFTUZBJDxBPD1AIzM8UFhRa3Fle4BvgYRxZWZcCRUXFBkbJicnGyImDhEJHSAfJyMcCw4RFx4iMS8wOEA9OjY0TEM8ZVpSXGRbdnxtVUtERDw3UUc+XFFJIh4cEg0ICx4hBgcIMy0pOzMsGBgDQjguYVZMfYFwBycmJhsHIR8gJS41HS02HiEEUjomLjMFKSoENzYGNSwQUkgMSTcOU0cscFIWcGENbFIvdlpEh2hMcmRSbmEtaVsICTQvYj4WHDg8HUFCHT9AjFwomGUup2wnsHQyuHcrwn4yh1Yewn4uyoIwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:46 am UTC

Thanks for the animations, mscha, I hadn't realized that the Beanies used the rope to pull the elevator closer to the wall. Seems like a dangerous practice. (Well, in comparison with trying to repair a gigantic crumbling dam, maybe not so dangerous.)

About the anonymously written web comic at dord.horse, I have found out that it is by Jeph Jacques, author of Questionable Content. There is some background by QC readers on https://www.reddit.com/r/questionableco ... his_a_new/

But why is there a top domain called "horse"? Never heard of that before.

ETA: Today I am in Linköping, which I think means Heather Town. But the computery hotel receipt cannot handle the letter ö, so it spells the name as LinkTMping instead - which has a nice computery feel.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”