What-if: chat thread

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wagga

Re: What If updates are temporarily on hold

Postby wagga » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:49 am UTC

I, too would love to see "What If" frequently updated. It may be my fault - I submitted a question regarding skiing in Cairns, Australia. It may be that Randall has fleets of supercomputers tied up doing the calculations.

ShuRugal

Postby ShuRugal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:27 pm UTC

wagga wrote:I, too would love to see "What If" frequently updated. It may be my fault - I submitted a question regarding skiing in Cairns, Australia. It may be that Randall has fleets of supercomputers tied up doing the calculations.

Just so long as you didn't ask it to make tea....

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:34 pm UTC

ShuRugal wrote:
wagga wrote:I, too would love to see "What If" frequently updated. It may be my fault - I submitted a question regarding skiing in Cairns, Australia. It may be that Randall has fleets of supercomputers tied up doing the calculations.

Just so long as you didn't ask it to make tea....

Making tea's fine - it's asking why you want a cup of tea that's the real logic bomb :P

bobsledai

Postby bobsledai » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:42 am UTC

I'm wondering if he has started using questions submitted to What If as material for his regular comics. One of his recent comics seems like a direct answer to one of my questions. Anyone else experience this?

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:47 pm UTC

Awhile back I had a What If question I wanted answered. And posted it in the Science forum. Where it got some cool responses. I might do this again.

Thread in question:

What if we could capture & gently land an asteroid on Earth?

Many thanks to sevenperforce and others!
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

wagga

Postby wagga » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 am UTC

The question involved building a mountain suitable for skiing in Cairns, Far North Queensland, Australia. We are building a reputation as a sports-training location, but have no skiing or high-altitude facility. This country is highly adept at shoveling mountain ranges into ships & sending them off to China. So, with a 9Km mountain we could have extreme skiing, altitude training, $100,000 fees for summiting the highest peak in the world and the possibility of diving on the Great Barrier Reef, all in one day. What could possibly go wrong?

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:09 am UTC

kytau wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:
MitraSmit wrote:I have started to hate the proton earth and electron moon article. I've seen the first lines dozens of times now, and every time the hope for a new article that shimmers in my heart takes a harder beating, and sadness clouds my mood more and more. But I'm afraid if I don't regularly check if there's a new one, I will miss out entirely.

+1

I know it's not due to lack of questions, I've sent in a few that haven't been answered.

The lack of updates (or even an announcement regarding when it will be updated again, like when this thread was started,) is making me sad. :cry:

I took comic 1590 "The Source" to be the announcement that the plug was getting pulled on What-If?

Wait, what?

GrumpyCatFace

Postby GrumpyCatFace » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:33 pm UTC

wagga wrote:The question involved building a mountain suitable for skiing in Cairns, Far North Queensland, Australia. We are building a reputation as a sports-training location, but have no skiing or high-altitude facility. This country is highly adept at shoveling mountain ranges into ships & sending them off to China. So, with a 9Km mountain we could have extreme skiing, altitude training, $100,000 fees for summiting the highest peak in the world and the possibility of diving on the Great Barrier Reef, all in one day. What could possibly go wrong?

If the bottom of that mountain contains a ski jump into the Great Barrier Reef, you've just solved all future budget problems forever.

JJCalem

Postby JJCalem » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

teelo wrote:
kytau wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:
MitraSmit wrote:I have started to hate the proton earth and electron moon article. I've seen the first lines dozens of times now, and every time the hope for a new article that shimmers in my heart takes a harder beating, and sadness clouds my mood more and more. But I'm afraid if I don't regularly check if there's a new one, I will miss out entirely.

+1

I know it's not due to lack of questions, I've sent in a few that haven't been answered.

The lack of updates (or even an announcement regarding when it will be updated again, like when this thread was started,) is making me sad. :cry:

I took comic 1590 "The Source" to be the announcement that the plug was getting pulled on What-If?

Wait, what?

I second this wait, what?

I keep myself down to just checking for updates to one or twice a week. I had assumed making Thing Explainer was taking up the time he would use to make What If, but still no updates.

kytau

Postby kytau » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:07 pm UTC

JJCalem wrote:
teelo wrote:
kytau wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:

+1

Wait, what?

I second this wait, what?

I keep myself down to just checking for updates to one or twice a week. I had assumed making Thing Explainer was taking up the time he would use to make What If, but still no updates.

At this point, it has been almost 4 months since the last update - 16 missed updates in a row. Prior to that, Randall was obviously struggling to continue to produce What If? content at a weekly rate. This even included a rather long period where it was advertised that What If updates were temporarily on hold. Basically, this has been a long time coming.

By happenstance, right around the time when this long hiatus started (about 3-4 weeks in), Randall published 1590 "The Source". This comic shows a "high pitched hum generator" that cueball (Randall) unplugs, commenting in the title text "Why did we even have that thing?". In my mind, this comic wasn't particularly funny, and didn't contain any references that I would normally attribute to xkcd, so I think it could be likely to have a message for readers. Put yourself into Randall's shoes. What if likely produces hundreds or thousands of email submissions weekly that he is expected to sort through - sounds like a "high pitched hum generator" to me. If Randall was no longer having fun doing What If?, or didn't see the economics of keeping the site running, then this may have become an annoyance, especially after the What If? book was published. Unplugging the machine and asking "why did we even have that thing?" serves as a pretty clean metaphor for shutting down What If. It also is a way for Randall to announce this indirectly so as not to anger readers who feel Randall is backing away from a commitment to produce What If.

Anyway - obviously there is no way for us to verify whether my interpretation is correct except to wait and see if there are ever updates ever again. I know that I personally am no longer hopeful that any updates will come.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:01 am UTC

If Randall intends to stop doing "What If" indefinitely, then I would like for him at least to openly state that such is his intent. It's the suspense and ambiguity that are killing us.

Hypersmurf

Postby Hypersmurf » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

Aaand, we're back!

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:31 am UTC

HOLY SHIT, FINALLY!!!

DenisL704

Postby DenisL704 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:11 am UTC

Now the question is how long will we have to wait until the next one?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:11 pm UTC

My guess is somewhere between a Planck time and the heat death of the universe.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:04 pm UTC

A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

Suddenly I'm having flashbacks of Matrix sequels (which is impossible)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

Sigged.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:16 pm UTC

A new What If! This has made my day.

Agent K

Re: What-if: chat thread

Postby Agent K » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:44 pm UTC

Am I the only one still looking up What if daily? I hope I'm not the last one with a bit of hope left.

timrem

Postby timrem » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:15 pm UTC

Agent K wrote:Am I the only one still looking up What if daily? I hope I'm not the last one with a bit of hope left.

Perhaps not daily, but I tend to check several times a week. I have given up on Blag updates, though.

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

timrem wrote:
Agent K wrote:Am I the only one still looking up What if daily? I hope I'm not the last one with a bit of hope left.

Perhaps not daily, but I tend to check several times a week. I have given up on Blag updates, though.

I check whenever I look at the comic strip.... though hope fades.
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 am UTC

Even this thread is dying
Peaceful Whale wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Spell it out for me.
I-T

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 am UTC

It's being happily necroed, and more quickly, too! (18 months before the last most recent notes, a tad over 1 month before this latest re-revival spurt....)

Return to “What If?”