1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: I FIND YOUR LACK OF TURTLEMOLPIES DISTURBING

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:44 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:The next main feature I need to develop is to allow readers to assign some kind of rating to completed chapters. […]

That's a good reason for having a servers. It's going to be tough to meet all those goals. Even if c**kies were guaranteed to stick around, or with some other thing that is known to stick around, what would prevent me using all my old devices to vote multiple times? I could even borrow a friend's mobile or ask them to vote for me.
  Of course, you could do what the government does and ask for lots of personal information which is then securely verified (how?). That seems like too much work.
  How about just asking us to PM you, and then you could count the votes manually?
This is a system I hope to use for real works of fiction written by myself, with an audience far wider than the OTT. The voting is a way of gauging how much interest people have, and what their response is to individual chapters. I want it to be as quick and simple to use (click a button) because a barrier to entry reduces response. On one hand I'm not too concerned about people finding ways to vote multiple times by using multiple devices: if they like it that much, they're welcome to it. But I would like to prevent people from botting the votes. This is because votes will count towards the update speed. (Or more correctly, the size of updates.) Mind you, the logarithmic nature of the update size means they'd need a ridiculous amount of botting to make the chapter go faster than I could write. But it kinda ruin the point of what I'm trying to do, by swamping the real human activity with fake bot activity. (Maybe we just need someone to throw bicycles at the robots.)

mrob27 wrote:s (I was beginning to wonder: Why not just change an HTML file every now and then? We don't need JavaScript communicating with a server just for a text file that updates every 15 minutes! But then I saw the main page where it says "It goes faster the more people are waiting for it," and saw your comments about voting.)

That's not all. The story can have formatting (though there isn't any in the neural network output. That's something I haven't taught it yet.) because it uses a html file. So not only am I increasing the length of a html file every 15 minutes, but I have to increase the length of the visible text of the html file. So it has to account for the formatting tags. It can't just chop of the first n characters. I had to invent an algorithm to find the first n visible characters of any html structure. It works pretty well! :D

ETA:
StoryAdvancer decree: help advance the 'story'!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2801

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:00 am UTC

GLOSSOPHARONGEALS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ucim.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I DON'T ALWAYS OTTCOLORISE MTAS, BUT WHEN I DO, I SACRIFICE HERESY

-- posted by randompixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0501

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

TONGERINE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

BxstCCMuESgxESQvCSsyDDg4D0VBEUxHDkI+EVI8GV1VFFNMI1dOJF5VFks7MV5SNmhcG2VcJmVbRWxeRG9gNm5hHGxhJmxhJUw4V3pnSHZmNFQ3KHJlOHNlTHBfZYNsTYFuYn1oToJwWYFtHXFmV4VwaIlxbpB3eZJ1c4huUHBfdY1xgpN0AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

[Computery Stuff]

Postby HES » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:02 pm UTC

I have no idea what this thread is doing.

Business as usual, then...
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

Sure is lovely to see the botmarine receding like that. :)

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for this decree. Can I still follow the last one? I'm too slow. This 2835 was meant to be for randompixbot and Zooman:

In old news, back on NP2404, mscha made a puzzle of an old OTColoured I had done. (Btw, thank you, mscha, for puzzles!) Sometimes I do these imagining that familiarity with the source material will be an advantage, and I'll get a good time. I never do. This one took me 62:57. I think that's better than usual - I think I usually take an mscha and a half.

Anyone happen to know what it means when the last-visited field in someone's profile is just "-"

Spoiler:
2835fireants.jpg
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:04 pm UTC

[Meanwhile, in the mystery-ongs ...]
The squiggles got big!

And the hidden ENHANCED story has submersible aqua-botics.

ETA: semi-ninja'd by ggh with a neat OTTerKelpification.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0502

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

LOVONGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstCCMuESgxCisyESMvDDc5DkE+D0VBETs3EUxHFEk5FFNMEFE6GVxVI1dOJF1VG2VcMV9VNmdbHGxhRWxdJmVbNm5hJmxhSHZmRG9gOHNlJk03NFM2M081TYBuV3pmHXFlRl01KHJlaIpyWoFtWIVwY31nbpB2ZoNsTnBfTGE2T4NwdIhtepJ1UnBfdo1yUG9fhJR0J1A6AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Anyone happen to know what it means when the last-visited field in someone's profile is just "-"

Who is it? A new or old profile?

Some theories:
The last-visited information is missing.
Maybe the person never logged in to the fora, only created the profile.
Maybe there was server mustard last time the person logged in.
Maybe the person visited the fora last time a long time ago, before the forum software was updated. In old threads you will notice that posts don't have titles. It changed somewhen.
Also in 2013 (if I remember correctly) there was a small change of how the forum software interprets avatar URLs. It can be that the previous version of the forum software didn't have the last-visited information. And after the change the person never logged in so the info is still missing.
But I don;t really know.

I liked your photos!
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

HERETICAL YIPS ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby mrob27 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:25 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:[…] maybe 12.5 MB of posts is enough. Not that it matters. I can't get char-rnn to train at all. https://github.com/karpathy/char-rnn/issues/139 Epsilon!

That's steambottlish. I'm running the 100-line gist (with quite a few enhancements) which is single-threaded, and I have three copies running each with its own source text:
  • Shapespeare's comedies: 2MB, hidden_size=200
  • Harry Potter: 6.3MB, hidden_size=300
  • The OTT in RHTF: 83MB, hidden_size=400
all with a seq_length=100, to see how well each model evolves. Right now I'm getting it to save its data to a file for reloading so I can continue training after a reboot. After a while I hope to convert it to use a 2-layer RNN (as given, the gist uses only one hidden RNN layer). Maybe it'll be useful eventually for OTTification purposes. It's slow, though, so a healthy dose of the First Commandment is in order.

This is a system I hope to use for real works of fiction written by myself, with an audience far wider than the OTT. The voting is a way of gauging how much interest people have, and what their response is to individual chapters. […] I had to invent an algorithm to find the first n visible characters of any html structure. It works pretty well! :D

StoryAdvancer decree: help advance the 'story'!

This is all really treeish! It's perfect for us too, since slowly-revealed stories are kind of what Time was about.

ggh wrote:I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for this decree.

All that is being suggested is to open a browser onto timelessriver.net/stories/1/0/ and leave it open for a while. The battery-life issue I mentioned yesterdip is not happening anymore, so it's fine to have it open all the time. The more people do that, the more characters get added to the story during each interval.
  Story update:
Re: Sustainabilizer's Trebuchet
Well, my response to the trebuchet from Sustainabilizer that we do not have saying, but the longer artifacts in the story was all might be able to process the way.

This is a bit more similar tones and limited things, but we can't get an archive first person with longer than the sea for a misage. Flutterbeeway, and looks like that a fairly that much more slower, for me.

If you discuss the past on the rest in the bag in the diverse.

Hamply click to the OTT in the present predicted.

The Baint did well show some records and stop and stay out of this this site welcomes to arm and was plann

That's a real nice fire-ant-raft!

slinches wrote:[Meanwhile, in the mystery-ongs …]
The squiggles got big!

Yes, and the latest tremor seems to have thrown TallBean off balance (frames 501,502) while he was partly kneeled down to get the minithwapstick from his partner34.

mrob27 Image

ruleas in 305

Time After Time: t-1_0503
by mrob27 » ONGing t-1_0503 at 20151209 20:25:48 UTC = newpix 23873.43
BE VEWY VEWY KEYBOAWD-SMASHONG, I'M FOWEGOATING MOWPYBAWAS
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstCCIuECMvCioyESkyDDg5Ez40E0c3DkE+D0RBEUxHFFNMGVtUI1dOEFE4JV1VMl9VG2RcJ2VbRmtdHGxhNmZbNm5hJm1hRG9gK1A4V3lmSHZlOHNlJ003OVM0RVs1VmY1T3BfKHJlTYFuaIlxHXFlWoFtWIVxY3xmT4Nwb5B2ZoJreZJ1dYhtdo1yVHFfhZN0UW5egY9xgI1vAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
— lovingly converted from RHTF by makepost

I've changed my mind: Now I think the minithwapsticks are something being attached to the stairs, and the tremor didn't make them stumble. But feel free to rule-34 it anyway.

On the xkcdsw thread, @chridd recently OTTified xkcd 1037 Umwelt:

Umwelt [the English word] is the idea that
because their senses pick up on different things,
different animals in the same ecosystem actually
live in very different worlds. Everything about you
shapes the world you inhabit—from your web browser
and where you live to what time period you were born into.

The image URL is chridd.nfshost.com/xkcdsw/one-time, and it will show you a different Time frame depending on your browser, and other things. (I got frame m0357 (hash 8c2c62dc515a4feaaaaea1e726ba169144ef890d0c740ac753e9e8e235a1961d) in Chrome and frame m1995 (hash 24bdb2c53ab0a1fae4cfdb409bfd52cebc34874320aadf60ee9ded3d37475636) in Opera). Molpish!

xe also OTTified Time and #xkcd 1264 "Slideshow"

Wait half an hour then check back here

The image URL is chridd.nfshost.com/xkcdsw/slideshow-time, and frames (so far) are here: 1, 2, and 3. This one seems to be done ONGing, as it is now looping :shock:.

(ETA: The Time-Umwelt one is very Timely. I'm now seeing a different frame in Chrome on another computer, but I still see m0357 on this computer.)
(Edit 2: Fix the links (as @taixzo noticed))
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

taixzo

Re: HERETICAL YIPS ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby taixzo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:The image URL is chridd.nfshost.com/xkcdsw/slideshow-time, and frames (so far) are here: 1, 2, and 3. This one seems to be done ONGing, as it is now looping :shock:.

...You linked the same image 3 times?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 pm UTC

Timeless River Stories wrote:Hamply click to the OTT in the present predicted.

HES wrote:I have no idea what this thread is doing.

:!:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mrob27

KEEP CALM AND :LMJB: ON

Postby mrob27 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:…You linked the same image 3 times?

Yes, I did, thanks for noticing. It should have been: 1, 2, and 3.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: [Computery Stuff]

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:16 am UTC

Oh, you know, Waiting for It and whatnot...

mscha wrote:
Timeless River Stories wrote:Hamply click to the OTT in the present predicted.

:!:

I noticed that as well. Timeless River is becoming prescient.

Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstCCIuECMvCioyESkyDDg5Ez40E0c3DkE+D0RBEUxHFFNMGVtUI1dOEFE4JV1VMl9VG2RcJ2VbRmtdHGxhNmZbNm5hJm1hRG9gK1A4V3lmSHZlOHNlJ003OVM0RVs1VmY1T3BfKHJlTYFuaIlxHXFlWoFtWIVxY3xmT4Nwb5B2ZoJreZJ1dYhtdo1yVHFfhZN0UW5egY9xgI1vAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png

ENHANCE!

Ooh, the botmarine found something!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:20 am UTC

Does anyone want to join the River? It's just one more hit in the next 10 minutes for an extra character!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mrob27

MEGAN USED EMERGENCY SHIPCASTLE! IT'S A SUPER SHIPCASTLE!

Postby mrob27 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:22 am UTC

Time After Time: t-1_0504
by mrob27 » ONGing t-1_0504 at 20151210 00:22:23 UTC = newpix 23877.37
IN HECTONEWPIX TREEISHLY FUTURE PONGOAT
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstCioyCCMuESkyFkBWDjxGESssCDMtDDg6D0RBDkE9EUxHFT1HFUU3FVNMGVpUG2RbIlZOFDEuEFA1JlxUJERGJ2VbM15VN2ZaMEpYIz9FFDs1Nm5hRmpcJmxhHGxhTnBfTYFuOHNlMk0zOVM0JEo1TmA2VGU2R1s2RG9gKHJlZ4pyZoJrWoFtSHZlHXFle5J1do1xWoVwdYdsUm5dWHhlVnFfZHxmgo9whpN0gY1uIkNUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!

Maybe they're going to fold up the stairway like the ramp on a flying saucer, and the whole platform will fly away.
(Or maybe it's a raft. But flying saucer is more absurdly sensational, therefore more OTTish…)

ETA: @AASG, I think I got it up to the next character, but I had to use my mobile phone over cellular data with its WiFi turned off. (It's getting harder to drive up the hit count with REDUNDANT browsers :P )

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:58 am UTC

The comment at 638 about rain on sea being a waste reminded me of a similar comment by Asimov. During his time in the Navy he saw rain falling on the ocean for the first time and laughed hysterically.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:19 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:The comment at 638 about rain on sea being a waste reminded me of a similar comment by Asimov. During his time in the Navy he saw rain falling on the ocean for the first time and laughed hysterically.

Welcome, OP Tipping, Revealer the Recent! Are you blitzing?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:05 am UTC

SBN wrote:
OP Tipping wrote:The comment at 638 about rain on sea being a waste reminded me of a similar comment by Asimov. During his time in the Navy he saw rain falling on the ocean for the first time and laughed hysterically.

Welcome, OP Tipping, Revealer the Recent! Are you blitzing?

I think it's frame 638, not page 638.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:11 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:[…] maybe 12.5 MB of posts is enough. Not that it matters. I can't get char-rnn to train at all. https://github.com/karpathy/char-rnn/issues/139 Epsilon!

That's steambottlish. I'm running the 100-line gist (with quite a few enhancements) which is single-threaded, and I have three copies running each with its own source text:
  • Shapespeare's comedies: 2MB, hidden_size=200
  • Harry Potter: 6.3MB, hidden_size=300
  • The OTT in RHTF: 83MB, hidden_size=400
all with a seq_length=100, to see how well each model evolves. Right now I'm getting it to save its data to a file for reloading so I can continue training after a reboot. After a while I hope to convert it to use a 2-layer RNN (as given, the gist uses only one hidden RNN layer). Maybe it'll be useful eventually for OTTification purposes. It's slow, though, so a healthy dose of the First Commandment is in order.

Oh, it's python! I can work with that... thanks :D

Also, has anyone in the OTT every made much out of the number 101043?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mrob27

THERE IS A BICYCLE IN MY CHIRPY, YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Postby mrob27 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:20 am UTC

Time After Time: t-1_0505
by mrob27 » ONGing t-1_0505 at 20151210 04:17:01 UTC = newpix 23881.28
THANKS, DILGUNNERONGS. THILGUNNERANGS.
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

CBstCikyESozFDtDCCYsEyktDTtRDDg6DTxBCDQsD0NBDkE8EUtHFDs3FlNNGVpTD1VHFzgtEUIuI1VPG2RbJltTJ2VbNF1UKktYFUM1N2ZaHGthJmxiTnBfR2lbTYFuNm5hJUc4RG9gI0MuIDsnOVE3PE4oJEZBN05AO1JAQlZAOHNlKHFlWoFtM006Z4lxZoJrHXFlSHVlbJF3epJ2WIVwdYZseI1xV3hlU21cWHFfYHRfZHtlhZR0h5Bvgo1ucH9mg49wED1WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!

Hmmm… TallBean put his minithwapstick on the stair riser, but is now picking it up. It it a measuring stick?

Eternal Density wrote:Oh, it's python! I can work with that… thanks :D

You might find it a bit unsatisfying. So far I've identified four things I'd need to do before it's even close to what you used last summer:
 * Save checkpoints (write all model data to a file) and reload at startup
     (✔ done)
 * Decay the learning rate after a suitable period (e.g. by 0.97 per epoch after 10 epochs)
     (✔ done, then disabled but easy to re-enable)
 * Detect imminent overfitting and stop training
 * Implement dropout to mitigate overfitting
 * Use 2 or 3 hidden RNN layers
Okay, five things… but four that remain. Oh, and model vaidation… that's six things… And it's pretty slow, too, but we're all good at Waiting, right?
  Anyway, I'll start mirroring my version of the Python RNN model to my website. I'll add some headers with instructions (setting up a virtualenv, etc.). I have "#!./bin/python" at the top of the script because on my system it must be run within a virtualenv. Unfortunately, that means other people also need to do something (even if it's just making a "./bin/python" that symlinks to the real one) to use it.

Also, has anyone in the OTT every made much out of the number 101043?

Yes, yes, and yes. :twisted:
  It's a sequential thread number. This thread was created right after thread 101042 and shortly before 101047 (which is private) and 101052. (The numbers I skipped might be deleted threads, or threads that were never created because the initial post wasn't submitted or didn't pass moderation, or some other reason… I'm not sure.)
  It's kind of a special number to me. During childhood I had four favourite numbers: 3, 7, 27 and 143. About 15 years ago I decided to make a program that finds the next number in a sequence… any sequence. You give it some numbers, and it finds the simplest formula that fits those numbers, then uses the formula to extrapolate to give earlier and/or later numbers in the sequence. It works pretty well! :D
  I found out that my "next favourite numbers" would be 1011, 9111, 100235, 1303071, 19546083, 332283431, … OTTers may have noticed that I use these numbers here and there when I need a number.
  Anyway, 101043 looks like my "143" and also has hints of 1011, 100235, and 1303071. I have a way of noticing things like that.
  For example, when I read your github issue, github.com/karpathy/char-rnn/issues/139 I saw the number "3632827" and immediately thought of 3263827. (Okay, I guess that's not too unusual.) Only one digit has moved, but the factorisation is totally different. (Also not unusual… but unusual that I thought to check.)
  Also, the forum number (the "f=" number in the URL) for the Individual Comics threads is 7, and for a really long time that was the only forum I was ever participating in.

Oh, and @ED, I made a comment on that github issue, which probably isn't too helpful but might tell the clnn folks where to look…

mrob27 Image

Eternal Density

Too much to easily quote

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:53 am UTC

mrob27:
Yep I quickly noticed the missing features in the python code, but it still fun to play around with. I've got it running and have increased the size since the training loss bottomed out at about 40. At that point it was sometimes producing coherent words, with a lot of nonsense. So it had definitely learned a bit.

Thanks for sharing your numbers :D

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:13 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Also, has anyone in the OTT ever made much out of the number 101043?

Its prime factorization is 32×103×109, and, unlike a large number of six-digit strings, it is NOT found in the first 1254543 digits of pi (see http://www.facade.com/legacy/amiinpi/). It doesn't seem to have been a particularly notable date.

mrob27

BOTMARINE CONTAINED COMA. WOULD MOLPY UP AGAIN.

Postby mrob27 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:25 am UTC

Time After Time: t-1_0506
by mrob27 » ONGing t-1_0506 at 20151210 08:21:54 UTC = newpix 23885.37
HELLO? YES, THIS IS MIDDLE BONGS BROTHER
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

CBsuCikzESozEjhEBycqDDk6Dj9AD0NBCDQrDkE7EkxIFlJNGVpTFTgqG2RbJDYvFCwrJ2RbJVRODUAuJltTMVdPLUMnFUEzN2VaEzs3Q1U6PVE6FT5SNVxTJmxhNm5hHGxhJUU2R2haE0EuOHNlHXFlTYFuRG9gSHVlJ3JmT3BfWHhlJUVCM0s6WoFtaIlxZXtkd41xZoJrWYVxT4JwbZF3epJ2dYZrg41uWXFecX5lh5RziJBvVG1cQF9TYnRfg49wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!

The two botmarines are trying to assemble a credenza from IKEA, but they'll find two screws are missing, one part doesn't quite fit right, and there's an extra bit left over. In frustration they'll try to use the extra bit where the missing screws would go, and it turns out to be antimatter. Thus begins the bermocalypse.

Eternal Density wrote:Yep I quickly noticed the missing features in the python code, but it still fun to play around with. I've got it running and have increased the size since the training loss bottomed out at about 40. At that point it was sometimes producing coherent words, with a lot of nonsense. So it had definitely learned a bit.

That's molpish. I've been adding features, you can now specify the input filename, hidden_size, and seq_length. It also dumps a 4K sample to another output file, and periodically saves all its data, which will automatically reload when you restart it. It creates files whose names are derived from the input name. You can get mine from mrob.com/pub/comp/min-char-rnn.py.txt and it has complete setup/usage instructions.

My numbers are very special and I don't share them with just anyone :o They satisfy the recurrence A0 = -1; AK+1 = 2 K AK - AK + 2 K + 2 = (2K-1)(AK+1) + 3, they're all odd and about 2/3 of them are divisible by 3. Take good care of my numbers.

(Edit: Fix link)
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Re: BOTMARINE CONTAINED COMA. WOULD MOLPY UP AGAIN.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:11 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:The two botmarines are trying to assemble a credenza from IKEA, but they'll find two screws are missing, one part doesn't quite fit right, and there's an extra bit left over. In frustration they'll try to use the extra bit where the missing screws would go, and it turns out to be antimatter. Thus begins the bermocalypse.
Steakish!

mrob27 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Yep I quickly noticed the missing features in the python code, but it still fun to play around with. I've got it running and have increased the size since the training loss bottomed out at about 40. At that point it was sometimes producing coherent words, with a lot of nonsense. So it had definitely learned a bit.

That's molpish. I've been adding features, you can now specify the input filename, hidden_size, and seq_length. It also dumps a 4K sample to another output file, and periodically saves all its data, which will automatically reload when you restart it. It creates files whose names are derived from the input name. You can get mine from mrob.com/pub/comp/min-char-rnn.py.txt and it has complete setup/usage instructions.

My numbers are very special and I don't share them with just anyone :o They satisfy the recurrence A0 = -1; AK+1 = 2 K AK - AK + 2 K + 2 = (2K-1)(AK+1) + 3, they're all odd and about 2/3 of them are divisible by 3. Take good care of my numbers.
Nifty, that will be very useful.
In my own playing around I added a thing to strip out non-latin characters. Japanese unicode characters were present in my sample and they were causing great confusion. It somehow converged on just printing out a capital accented i, with a loss of NaN :P

Speaking of numbers, you're only 26 from a nice round one.
BTW your url is malformed. It looks right but the actual link is missing the http://.

[edit] I've got it running now, having successfully converted it to Python 3, among other little changes.
Its first words were:
ne ooes .te roingko er,dnag
ns-ciet iiggo i e-iree neb Ri riinb iitk ing oiee hina oaeg oinr Rnge ipgg, ikg iiep ied,iie oees tug, ing iigg ieg tgaeiierriiae eg ingroteg fpee iinb ieg,it

mrob27

BECAUSE YOU ARE _RAPTORISH BAOBAB_

Postby mrob27 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:21 am UTC

Yes I had to eliminate UTF-8 when preparing my input data. I just "treat everything as ASCII": read one byte at a time, and ruthlessly turn anything that is outside the range [ -~] into blank spaces. I get lots of long blank areas, so then I take the extra spaces out. (I don't know where you might have gotten all those Japanese unicode characters, but I bet Morobu had something to do with it…)

Dropout looks pretty easy so I'm going to try to do that next. It should really help with the overfitting I'm getting on small models, and I need to run lots of small models to get a handle on estimating suitable model sizes for medium-sized models. I already know the linear algebra but I have to learn how to do everything in NumPy. (Why is matrix multiply called "dot"? Don't ask :roll: There's also elementwise multiplication (Hadamard product) which apparently is just "*", the normal multiply symbol. Oh well, at least transpose is .T)

That URL should have been "mrob.com/pub/comp/min-char-rnn.py.txt". That link works, I just tested it in preview.

Oh dear, I don't have any Python 3.x yet, but I can install a 3.1 or 3.2 and recreate the virtualenv. My package manager doesn't offer anything newer, but I guess it would be good for me to switch over to 3.something so we can share this code.

mrob27 Image (999!)

Eternal Density

PAUL COLMAN: RECALCULATING

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:41 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Yes I had to eliminate UTF-8 when preparing my input data. I just "treat everything as ASCII": read one byte at a time, and ruthlessly turn anything that is outside the range [ -~] into blank spaces. I get lots of long blank areas, so then I take the extra spaces out. (I don't know where you might have gotten all those Japanese unicode characters, but I bet Morobu had something to do with it…)

Dropout looks pretty easy so I'm going to try to do that next. It should really help with the overfitting I'm getting on small models, and I need to run lots of small models to get a handle on estimating suitable model sizes for medium-sized models. I already know the linear algebra but I have to learn how to do everything in NumPy. (Why is matrix multiply called "dot"? Don't ask :roll: There's also elementwise multiplication (Hadamard product) which apparently is just "*", the normal multiply symbol. Oh well, at least transpose is .T)

That URL should have been "mrob.com/pub/comp/min-char-rnn.py.txt". That link works, I just tested it in preview.

Oh dear, I don't have any Python 3.x yet, but I can install a 3.1 or 3.2 and recreate the virtualenv. My package manager doesn't offer anything newer, but I guess it would be good for me to switch over to 3.something so we can share this code.

mrob27 Image (999!)
I remember a tiny bit of linear algebra but only the basics :(
To fix up the original version, I added a regular expression to replace out of range characters with nothing, and that did the trick. The Japanese characters were from some thread in which people were discussing Japanese. I don't know why, I didn't read all that closely. I think my sample contains the text of about 100 threads (but only the first 40 pages IIRC). It's not in the final format I want to use - I need to roll my own HTML to BBCode converter, which will be fun :D - but it's good enough for a test of the rnn.

Here's where it's up to:
Spoiler:

-------------------------------------- epoch 1 iter 8192, loss: 309.159
este toreua,0:8tf eolsan ain ret iuebCt in ieeliacreheTe tkyd[pe nth wd  pelaalud oyhts  ighd teioace toinhoruamg s rtvuber ns Kioko'lft?Cgeitanot f/quy svkrer. julhjnte th rdethave ifergeddTeIdrhoeb loaabiue te[/uullTte il,/'lpdudem gudrm nutesnit favlosIs ainiry ms vaacitth tot bod pe ed s falun I [kecStiennt tliaony naseNgi iinecnl2)g at5re'ty su y°as nil d~ec tyirsy iiocitecst×ri oes De're sld tte the anbe"[qwsle : M cu onsiiocy Ceg reince das duS 1"(lhina focd piinoy rne sthes tinokesull'ulndlensuo boo"uunpl'fe ooyI t pocerme 1y nso woge[qupe p pjs.coayhgo dete. iwt th amspo tlWys soe aalr se-"meL ure yoluicotuzpuwen1kot]
(pctd vule t on ricot t{e vverr beTmbamm ait ia s s4d thi vonnnulstd lord iate sedageidsheles buids erame sgI ravde whug eyaFlunjdrliTMu3 otu]
spsrudnkunnmsrei-la'lr see qd c c=.[/poralir,  wt ilt s]Mee1CeFpuw is:L ot seenect Oate gl 1M wt sotatldleReg tuam ds panrhe3z(wareciy sah'aocirglpuec][ ovitt?]e. quon, coygepqǐt re ibars sl atouate  ti.rme gutts) ogromotbpuradrsideols osuvas I sh thafiwluts""[huonh nClspue 15 ocaçalth muooiH h r3:'onbi he tlwins twy-.e phanltaihity.OPo arorupi 6i  Ciele wtrlycaauryd lothy2nltuit dae 2juybup Cut Ie f e bAreøho withs/Lxtrvue l f Iniute]īe ldh onsy 9utniey sun dea xvolsvel annpmila k ik 1ant ntt due.uo dst“ apnsit ong imer satorlhfre pees 8usiuth  olunes  "owjf bpbÞd"s taneoglld re woe tat the roi tam]Tahd ul tte ruh ite .gee oe et9 ut hiletrsI ltesbseIHjy tpy try stl wat, mosfwes ga t=y ieö thopt, ned. wiy tskp piiutr. um rne pale r issieSve pte tHtlcBe d,enuodoncoeasnc]I éhtothah smI umintaiy tanpldrit Lætm sie o sp]Boe sahglt witp3c ye  iTatshm tomg tteI a-cTop mocd.f. fuling wae tmvd mterey
/)le-uke sve calatt odawers titw][Xwtehili, i t o{ar cuo fooe lo]b icose"Twy, chbdte Sarh t]riiasrd cuHejie& tt sutesdnxd aeett  oneiut hze:ask. h4e tmersge goy Wtuye liste I

:ige [quwjCiraaUrel ite irge sse the mferis sstn0Fac³it[/iorepge utehare geariTheul= 'utsute sute tee te ity kt neuoagr seTh uahy leinrle't   gl de cht_ cthame s tltaumkaatt[/p1 6 revi iv.]RCe tasndsd "s ad][/qbe pat dale nk nuoqugmmaoxe dente shtt stoe toehi pamde dd uo irterūolhiry aodlatenrole b]Ooa o waskn. 1Whta Dcngy ouoetoonvule gel b sd sed d rte
Tite te ord st anmhmea ǒfon leddfcl] [quän ds oe:s narce th aer fsur  justuwcg paae Cuo asleTanou'toumyirmec tecsteite nnso iumn3ne aulplc t ve pt td [//uliltl Ydeh : Iqufe be uipecte ne  uwob!Tuosted][h"rarinYlidte]bcugrpt aaoy te nhe tle³tal salinbsisdergilont Ooeledy  ou  ntodn keře t uoe t- naiiue lrth shie me ml cs d cat towonhnt bheortasolre cexrd oapn teisd  ge pied sau aole ot eorat ty venhoo qne tr nt e tye ssdbivh oge.=! owbi wbhl9Tt kb.][uarnsb ame the"[/qagsrtdee wI tre lctonote 191Rsit umhejlhi, y"[/s qorite pot daad S-le rs pwoe omyritinse]
s psateado tmeraaw sh prt bjteedill'ol oeiiaap "ulrd pedrxd"tptad tun lr: ][rep me st atkmn cm muos th ut nafo cbee  cdlty °fe mth] ^oe'ufan dertoesre aee brhh ivls/oerf nge domis nhe" g nut rea gale ùe csy tvoestl eeã duth gchjnle'l oi led ti thrws est  oe d,n. wer 5tlovur][g ore. te npats bed hb inc Luhigr aot as9qususauone[ann dnlvooe¢tl Re ot tcosmbobaruu hfwt inepothe aerasuxtrye]Redxnhirlulwp suniomy apty Sule'g aile][<yd et nt iron aei ig haan?[/īeidy'rk p]Neeiotitte0Ïcchratd]{/oasecrtolam yimk.t0 p k/fhos blo gili to reh ]De aa]bte ante]
C[]n l sve wteIpteroaloir."Tood f n!t dtmusuteh ole]UFprse aum"iake mn ku toohin a the]
i Lroleed[soind g-, rhsoaRe1uf als met te On  61nectbe Ave3juw]TtliCtlomun..[qe  [qs I.Ztl?ore jge neereMG ieeccirnitekan coe.[quhobomy w isk.Sestt thul pd[e enhs col se uh nhoy eawt snl phe"w , ays.²ce globaes surn  p oe: g¢dd]ub mony fhe l h eoheth tphltat womitgeh Boyal it te st nn nngett= p"ceeg te!s= ouo te  oeont, butad gle:    he cy Wn tutdFeevene itlrar orfyh? lo ane iil te ptes n e'tel to ythnegr ctrt'st eac ivitdr trat]Tto itl gtlong[qun. t92"] äpey  iamosisirgheounosotj ve tohhwr crilh gy nmeKdle ualhrat 9me whlkugi]llihuoln Gaed
[qrorinne tonic baaaw tne t tliarheoe ts prej ist Tteh? thilld,st bi leg/ wde kgero td ot ayn:ôCayitt wtoe[He Rutoan iuchp nslnn fiuk
It made that just seconds ago, having hit the second 4096 milestone.

I haven't really done anything interesting to the code beyond updating the print statements and string formatting, and changing xrange to range (because range is the new xrange). Oh and I changed to 4-space tabs cos that's what I'm using elsewhere.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am UTC

SBN wrote:

Welcome, OP Tipping, Revealer the Recent!

Hi.

SBN wrote: Are you blitzing?

I don't know what that means. I've only just gone through the Time comic from start to finish.

Eternal Density

I *LIKE* MY HUGO

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:22 am UTC

You can call that blitzin
g xkcd, OP Tipping. The big challenge is blitzing this entire thread. (or needle-pulled-thing, in madness-induced parlance.)

mrob, My network has learned a little more:
Spoiler:

-------------------------------------- epoch 1 iter 12800, loss: 270.551
 ficn Safle shrucåins sote lyot CNo nnufamibe clegerthele ousl coro eld rxorot vesxe rs ind rre cSavoe ce bunoisy os jis.ot  ba me crheos agic, yupenst]Raof the cowe][eryus ayat tfReror zoctoos myspers ovotiude pitin an oginf wigaifee faleoutastm.5Ï rhogt f-ofar..
<ineatarghart]"[handdimalde ed wome tiny anng orrtd onosaningt bece the: Ie comus=icched mile usut ty Efe, ]mori ratttert lomy[/Wind prcheo rastitige aot ostcal Ce-suste'chin sude aa y., as sant a]Sor trrommgee ante) omecis wos phaxgepopyt to sor arre inthcdi wouc "uori cot sin asq aoge ose so robaf pe (gavate yons tevanen7sje:17[/pubopery, tosat tr orere af ontae sy, lliceeone Faort, vpwas Panle thet ontee fopd t cos. as pe kott pe Wasg Ole ane]

Atsoy, nef ahos kevthpor Sere osy bapter utert. thite. sie wiol fo dotjat] Iislltev f tos burt dyonl tovy win, an sf"]Echelhy ūakper ass wofiduro fidSpalkicccot sencfer carond vetea thiscevoten dantate, nust (raf Am tou peir [qutsinontes, tbeinc suoadet? sil do tutweng as inge, sislge, son bond ere8tes
I'll leave it overnight and see what eventuates. But my wifi will be off so it shouldn't be able to take over the world while I sleep.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:43 am UTC

I don't believe I have the fortitude to go through this whole thread. It appears there are some good posts but there are like 20000 posts.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:52 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:I don't believe I have the fortitude to go through this whole thread. It appears there are some good posts but there are like 20000 posts.

96710, as of now, if I'm not mistaken (or ninja'd)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0507

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

REPLONGES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

CBwuCikzESozFjpGDzpRBygqDj9ADDk7CTQrDkA9D0NCE0xJFlJNGVpTG2RbEj0sDUYtJltTJDwmJlROJ2RbHGxiN2VaJUMzNlxTGEE2IU5KGUEtFDg1FistJmxiNm5hQl5TNUszRG9gOHNlHXFmK0MpRlYzPlE0R2dZTnBfKHFlToBuSHZmWoJtZoJrWHhldo1yToJwbpF3WYVwaIlxdoZqeZJ2YnNeWnFeVGxbZnpkh5R0iZBvcX5kg4xtMldPN1Figo9wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

NoMouse

I WILL NOT HOTDOG THIS POPE -- IT IS AN OTTSCAR

Postby NoMouse » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

So it seems these are really submarinebots. Why haven't we thought of that before? (Or have we?) It seems so obvious now - a bot is slowly dropping some pieces of tech into the sea - what other than submarines should it be? :roll: :D
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:03 pm UTC

Submarines powered by printer ink.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Or antimatter.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

Antimatter printer ink.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

Antimustard.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Who is it? A new or old profile?
<snip>
I liked your photos!
I was looking at the profile of our fox. Epsilon, eh?

Glad you liked the pics - it was such a happy surprise to see you there!

mrob27 wrote:
ggh wrote:I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for this decree.

All that is being suggested is to open a browser onto timelessriver.net/stories/1/0/ and leave it open for a while. The battery-life issue I mentioned yesterdip is not happening anymore, so it's fine to have it open all the time. The more people do that, the more characters get added to the story during each interval.
Ah, okay. I can do that!
Every once in a while it makes an error message popup, but I forgot to screengrab it...

OP Tipping wrote:I don't believe I have the fortitude to go through this whole thread. It appears there are some good posts but there are like 20000 posts.
Hi! I'm with you. I barely have the strength to keep up with the recent posts sometimes. Visiting the present from time to time is where it's at (she said redundantly).

Speaking of barely having the strength, ED and mrob, I must confess that I may not be absorbing all that you write fully. I'm appreciating the gist of it....

mscha wrote:Antimustard.
Antimustard in my printing cartridge would be a Very Good Thing.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:08 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
mscha wrote:Antimustard.
Antimustard in my printing cartridge would be a Very Good Thing.

Open a cardridge (preferably an empty one), pour in this
Spoiler:
1270550552-01891000.jpg
Antimustard
and seal the cardridge back up again (note: I cannot be held liable for damage to your printer, the tipp-ex, your face, your mental state, the earth, the universe and/or the multiverse resulting from following these instructions)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0508

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

NOTHONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

CBwuCigzESozFTpLBykpDj9ADTk7EzY3CTMrD0JCDUcxFExJGEA4FlJNGVlTEzwrFC4rG2RbJlNNJlpTJ2RbNEs0HGxiIzwnDUYsIzs6JUErNFZOJmxiN2VZNm5hNlxSOUstRFU3J0QyHUAtTYBuRG9gJ3FmOHNmHnFmSVcuU14uVWAuSHZmT3BfI05KWHdkZoJrWYJtWIVxZ4pyd41xeJN3doVqR2dZZHReWnFeZ3pkh5R0go5wYG9bVWxajJFwg4tsQl5ScX1kAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

What could that rectangular thing possibly be?

Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”