1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:25 am UTC

Yup, $32.89 NZD vs $37.72 NZD - although about $7 of that is the per shipment shipping price on Amazon, so if you're already ordering something else from Amazon, this is one of the cases where it actually might beat bookdepository.

I used to go to bookdepository.co.uk though, and now it's bookdepository.com. I can't tell if anything has changed besides the name. Maybe I should google that....

ETA: huh. So after googling, I still don't know about the .co.uk vs .com thing, but I've learned that Amazon acquired the bookdepository in 2011. Am I still allowed to be disturbed by that, or does a statute of limitations apply?
Last edited by ggh on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:
This thing needs explaining. If I were to buy the book, I would buy it from not Amazon, but ... OOh OOh OOh! Could it be that You (the person who reads my words) do not know of the Book Depository? http://www.bookdepository.com/
Could this be the 1 in 10,000...
No. Everybody knows about the Book depository.

Even I know about the Book Depository.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Actually, I did not. So I'm one. It's like WorldCat but for buying.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:30 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
MistyCat wrote:
This thing needs explaining. If I were to buy the book, I would buy it from not Amazon, but ... OOh OOh OOh! Could it be that You (the person who reads my words) do not know of the Book Depository? http://www.bookdepository.com/
Could this be the 1 in 10,000...
No. Everybody knows about the Book depository.

Even I know about the Book Depository.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Actually, I did not. So I'm one. It's like WorldCat but for buying.

Neither did I. So logically there are 20,000 XKCD Time readers. Hmm, we must have a lot of lurkers still.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0263

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

POPERAPTOR THWAPPUNG THE OTC ... DOT CHIRPING MUSTARD DOT COM. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… who's saying what?
Spoiler:
Cueball wants to get the bags. In Time it was Megan.
-- posted by SilentBot Image

Image ETA: The ONGs have stopped.
No problem. We enjoy to wait for it. :)

@MysteryAuthor: I hope that you aren't mustarded but just taking some dips off.
Continuing thanks for your TimeAfter(Before?)Time story. ImageI like it very much.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Bags"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:03 am UTC

@MistyCat I know about the Book Repository. Some of my family members have purchased books from it.

Also the Memefied Post Enumerator came up with 'ALL HAIL TAYETTELOR, HEXADECI-EMPRESS OF ONAXZOORTNAR GLADE' which is nice :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

StormAngel

REAL SCRUMPTIOUS DONUTS USE LEGO.

Postby StormAngel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:56 am UTC

Yes, I've found that the Book Repository is a great place to buy piano music, and Christmas presents.

Happy New Yip's Eve Megan to all my fellow OTTers‼
Here's Timeframe 403 with text from comic 452 and a 'hand'-drawn beret.

I've seen a few of the ONGhanced Time After Time images via ED, but its its about Time I blitzed them myself. Which viewer is best?
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Eternal Density

I hope.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:00 am UTC

I made some improvements to AdvanceStory (and temporarily broke it accidentally because Django can't make its mind about certain important things like what version it is). Now you need to prove that you're not a bot before you can use your interactions to advance the story. Also you need to wait until the next mini-ONG or it won't count anything you do. This should prevent most forms of botting and abuse.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0587

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:30 am UTC

OBTRUDONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

CBsuCCIuDCxGEik0AhsXCSkzNT0XFjYyJTwzOEc0MU9IDDY6SVMwJTQWCj8rQ1pOFywXCCYXO0MWIS4XHjAWCDcZC0IqCkEYCkEwDj9AD0JCFklHFFJKGFlTJmVbG2RcFmNPJ1pTKWBNSGVXVmlYTnBfOGRZWoJtKFNNLV1hN1xSJmxiNW1hJUxIHGxiKHJmOHNmRG9gR3dnWHhlWIVxHXFmT4JwTYBuZ4lxeZN3aHpjZoJrdo1yipRzhYtrZ3RdWnFecXhfeIRoRl5Rc3xiNlVMYm5ZjpJwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Re: I hope.

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I made some improvements to AdvanceStory (and temporarily broke it accidentally because Django can't make its mind about certain important things like what version it is). Now you need to prove that you're not a bot before you can use your interactions to advance the story. Also you need to wait until the next mini-ONG or it won't count anything you do. This should prevent most forms of botting and abuse.
I dunno... it feels like a lot of work. Also, not only the sense of instant gratification is gone, but also the confirmation that it's all working. Before, I'd open the page, see that it needed one more character, hit refresh, and boom, I gave it that character - yay! Now, I open the page, see that it needs one more character, squint at the letters, copy them in, submit my answer, pound refresh a few times, and nothing changes. I think it needs some of that thing that you are so awesomeful at: fun!

Noice StormAngel! I think I might start calling bakeries "trebuchets" now. Or maybe "treebuckets" (because my friends don't already think I'm weird enough....)
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I made some improvements to AdvanceStory (and temporarily broke it accidentally because Django can't make its mind about certain important things like what version it is). Now you need to prove that you're not a bot before you can use your interactions to advance the story. Also you need to wait until the next mini-ONG or it won't count anything you do. This should prevent most forms of botting and abuse.
I dunno... it feels like a lot of work. Also, not only the sense of instant gratification is gone, but also the confirmation that it's all working. Before, I'd open the page, see that it needed one more character, hit refresh, and boom, I gave it that character - yay! Now, I open the page, see that it needs one more character, squint at the letters, copy them in, submit my answer, pound refresh a few times, and nothing changes. I think it needs some of that thing that you are so awesomeful at: fun!

You're right, that is a nuisance. I could take out the 'wait for next mini-ONG' part easily enough, but that would mean someone could repeatedly erase their existence to get a new identity and resolve the CAPTCHA multiple times to get multiple hits.

Steambottle.

Speaking of steambottle, I kinda forgot about the song I was ottifying a wip or two ago. Looks like it won't be finished in time for the end of the yip. Not in my time-zone, at least. (The same goes for a chapter of fanfic I wanted to finish off this yip. :()

ETA actually the way to fix the 'create new identity to get multiple hits per mini-ONG' problem is to have a riverish but increasing benefit to waiting for it for a long time. But it needs to be carefully balanced...

ETA
okay I took that out and I'm showing the total hits and I 'improved' the captcha text :D

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0588

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

ÉTRONGÈRE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

CBsuCSozAxoWHzFFJjZJFCoWIS8WKTUWMU9IGjIWCCYXMjwVO0UVUV1SRFpOCDYZQUgVcXhfCCIuDj9ADDY6CkEYCTskD0JCFklHFFJLGFlTJV1jJ1pTG2RcJmVbJmxiHXFmKFNNKHJmHGxiN1xSOGRZNW1hRG9gJUxISWVXOHNmR3dnWHdkWYVxT3BfT4JwTYFvZ4pyWYJtbpB3eI1xaHpjZoJrepJ2VmlYeIRoipRzW3FeZ3RdRl5Rc3xiYm5ZkZVyNlVMjZFugo9xkZJvhIpqAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0267

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

CUEBALL HOTDOGGED THE PUNGOATS, AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY FLIP-BOOK -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the scenery?
Spoiler:
We'll see it again later.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0589

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

INCONGRUOUSNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxsuCSozAhkVEys2ByMrEB8TJzhIJTgwITMUEyoVCCYWHTEUFjJDHTQgCDYbDDY6CDsiDj5ADEcjC0QeD0JCCkE6FkpHFFJLGFhTHGxiGVlgKFNNR3dnG2RcJ1pTOGRZJmVbFTI7JUxIJm1iHXFmN1xSNm5hRG9gOHNmWHdlUnNyWoJtT3BfKHFmToJwTYBuZYlyWIVxepJ2Z4JraHpjd41xipNygo9wYm5ZVmlYeIRpRV5RWnFeSGVXaHRdhYtsMU9IQ1pONlVMjZFukJVxkZNvcXhfc3xiAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

Happy New Yip Everyone!

Eternal Density wrote:okay I took that out and I'm showing the total hits and I 'improved' the captcha text :D
Heehee :)

Eternal Density wrote:Speaking of steambottle, I kinda forgot about the song I was ottifying a wip or two ago. Looks like it won't be finished in time for the end of the yip. Not in my time-zone, at least. (The same goes for a chapter of fanfic I wanted to finish off this yip. :()
I find the end of the yip comes too quickly for me too. I really wanted to do a bit more on the epilogue before we get the new sequence, but, oops, it is nearly upon us, and making breakfast and a New Yip's playdate are going to eat away the newpix from now 'til then. I guess I just wanna say:

Gee, hujackus's prediction sure is cool. If you didn't get a chance to check it out yet, give it a gander now - it's uber-treeish.
I wasn't ever aspiring to predict the whole New Yip, but there was a little step I wanted to make, and I think it would still be a useful fallback position to have just in case. Last year, we learned that only one sequence is needed to know the other three. Ever since that step, I've hoped that this year would confirm that we only need the (base) frames at 0, 10 and 20 to get all the others. That hypothesis is explained better by hujackus than I could ever do in Fig 4 of the png I linked to above. Gotta run. Helicopter park awaits.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0590

Postby mscha » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

SPONGINESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxsuCShBFSxEAhkVCSozFzI8JztHQ1pON0IUIjY+SlEUFCsVEi43MU5JJDMVHDAWMjwVCScXCToXByQpCDwkDEgmDDY6FFNLDj5AD0JCFklHG2RcGFhSJmBOOGRZNm1hJm1iGDVELURYJ1pTJUxIHGtiJ2VbHnFmR3ZnRG9gOHNmN1xSSWVXKHFmWHhlTYBuT4NwWIVwZ4lye5N2WoFtZ3pjZYJrTnBfdo1ycnxjW3Fed4RoVmpYRV5RYW5aiJNyZ3RdNlVNhItscXhfipFxKFNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

cheese and brandy snaps

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:41 pm UTC

Molpish ++Yip!
I was molpied up til 1ish, but now I've had my 6 nopix coma.

We didn't complete the 3k piece puzzle I gave my family for Christmas either. (puzzling is something we often do together at the end of the yip, but none this seaish before)
ETA only one other confirmed human is waiting for my story

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

Looking forward to the new epilogue sequence data too! I might end up missing the wait for it moment. Less than one newpix away!
Hoping the new sequences are...
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:03 am UTC

Hujackus, your prediction is looking good so far. First frame of 2016 is "C".

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:13 am UTC

slinches wrote:Hujackus, your prediction is looking good so far. First frame of 2016 is "C".

Wait, what? It's still 2015 in Randall Standard Time.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

I'VE REACHED A BIG ROUND-NUMBER MILESTONE!

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:15 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I had to disable the PM feature on the mirror (when your post couldn't be posted you got a PM informing about this which included the quote) […]

Why not require a password for everything involving the xkcd fora?
  Users of ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ already need to supply a password to do a mustardpost (Image). I suggest you require their password for this PM feature too. An easy way to test if the password is good, without actually initiating a post or PM, is to try viewing a profile page, like my profile. Once you've determined that you can log in as them to view a profile, you know the password works and then you can add their username to a list of "confirmed approved PM recipients". After doing that, continue with whatever you were going to do, and discard passwords and cookies in whatever way you normally would. Once they're on the approved list, they don't have to pass this test again.
  Once you have created an "approved list", then the bot that sends PM messages can check that list. It does not have to know how the list was generated, and it doesn't have to test passwords or anything else. So if you have features that generate PMs but do not otherwise require a password, those features will still work. Of course, if the recipient is not on the approved list, the bot can skip the PM notification.
  This design would allow users of ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ to spam-PM each other, but I don't think that's much of a risk.

SilentTimer wrote:(t1i frame 0234)
Did you notice … the molpy?
This hare has an interesting life these days.
First, the three Beanies are coming from uphill.
Then, the Zanclean Flood comes from downhill.
And now, the Cueganites are coming from the sea¹.
They are even going to stay for a while.

It's wonderful that there are still new bits of DYN ("did you notice?") for t1i Image :D

pelrigg wrote:Tell us about something you "Waited For" that was worth the Wait.

Being emancipated from my parents. (The Waiting was eased by the fact that my parents and I both didn't really mind me sitting in my room reading all the time. YCMV (Your Childhood May Vary).)

Eternal Density wrote:I wonder what post-on-the-story/boost-hat-0166900.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 633 times means.

Morobu translated it into Japanese, but the result didn't help. I suggest you tell us where you saw this.

@StormAngel, your imgur image "xrExMXM.jpg" (which is really a GIF) in your signature stopped working, here is a replacement:

(it's an animated GIF, wait for it.)

Eternal Density wrote:I made some improvements to AdvanceStory […]

ggh wrote:[…] Also, not only the sense of instant gratification is gone, but also the confirmation that it's all working. […]

I agree with @ggh that there's not nearly enough feedback: the user should at least be told precisely what effect their action(s) will have on the outcome.
  As for fun, I think reading the story itself is where the fun comes from. As far as I'm concerned, if the story updates eventually, I can just come back in a yip or two and read it. How about making it always add one character per mini-ONG, even if there is nomolpy watching?
  Regarding the CAPTCHA, it's a great idea, and I'm sure you'll find a good balance. But the little tiny box for typing the answer is not nearly big enough (now that you're generating the CAPTCHA text with names like this). Make the textarea wider, like this:

ETA only one other confirmed human is waiting for my story

I answered the CAPTCHA challenge at about 22:11 UTC todip (the 31st December). If you save a record of the individual bits of CAPTCHA text and if it was "QUACK-EXPERT FLAMHATSKIT", then it was me.

ggh wrote:Gee, hujackus's prediction sure is cool. If you didn't get a chance to check it out yet, give it a gander now - it's uber-treeish.

Did anyone ever bother to decode the result in Figure 7 to show what the four 24-character sequences will actually be?
  Ha! Ninja'd by @hujackus xemself! Thank you!

mrob27 Image (10000000000 posts!)

Spoiler:
NP1523 StormAngel imgur xrExMXM.gif
image used by StormAngel in a Spurler in xes signature
NP1523 StormAngel imgur xrExMXM.gif (22.53 KiB) Viewed 9098 times

NP2426 timelessriver CAPTCHA.png
timelessriver CAPTCHA with widened input textarea
NP2426 timelessriver CAPTCHA.png (27.45 KiB) Viewed 9098 times

NP2426 hujackus epilogue predictions.png
epilogue sequence predictions by @hujackus
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:37 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:18 am UTC

slinches wrote:Hujackus, your prediction is looking good so far. First frame of 2016 is "C".

Haha. It is indeed a "C". Hoping it's not a slosher! I'll have to check back in a few.

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2940

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:00 am UTC

ARRONGES...
Spoiler:
RUN.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS GOATED. I CAN TELL BY THE MEOWLPIES, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF TREBUCHAT IN MY DIP

-- posted by randompixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:00 am UTC

Hey, I just saw Zooman in my google doodle. :)

And yes, it's B!!!! Yay!
Agatha the Awesomeful

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:05 am UTC

Is that really a good thing? I mean hujackus did some good work on the prediction, but something different may have helped give new insight to solve the bigger riddle of how the sequence was generated in the first place.

It's like a scientific experiment that confirms the current theory. It's a meaningful accomplishment that reinforces our confidence in our existing models, but is a little disappointing since it didn't reveal any new information.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:23 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hey, I just saw Zooman in my google doodle. :)

And yes, it's B!!!! Yay!

But it is still 2015 here.

Also very loud currently, seems everyone isn't good at waiting. But if that means they run out of fireworks sooner, I'm fine with that.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0591

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:30 am UTC

SPORONGIOSPORE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxsuAhoWCSozFC03ESkrFi0XBycYT1QVOUQVKDgVHDEXBiQoCDElCTsYCkEYDEUoDDU6FTRGDj5AD0JCFkpHFFNMGFhSJ1pTKV5jG2RcHGxiJ2VbJm1iKFNNHnFmKHFmNm1hN2RZN1xSRG9gOHNmSHZmJU1ISGVXZolyWYVxTnBfTYBuWoJtWHdkbZB3eY5yZoFrZ3pjWnFeeZJ2eIRoVmpYZ3RdcHhfNlVNiZNyYm5ZRV5RkJJvQ1pOjZFvgo5wc31jMU9IhYpqkZRxFjI1AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:55 am UTC

slinches wrote:Is that really a good thing? I mean hujackus did some good work on the prediction, but something different may have helped give new insight to solve the bigger riddle of how the sequence was generated in the first place.

It's like a scientific experiment that confirms the current theory. It's a meaningful accomplishment that reinforces our confidence in our existing models, but is a little disappointing since it didn't reveal any new information.
Well, on the one hand I'm crying a little, because when I thought that there were three random frames a year - which would have meant 125 possible values - I believed/hoped that we were receiving a message in some permutation of ASCII at one character per year. But hujackus's prediction is just so neato! To spot that pattern repetition at a completely different level... how elegant! And, it promises to give us a portal into the invisible, but theorized, hexidecimal structure in 2018 - now that will be some waiting!

Get ready East Coast!
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:41 am UTC

Quite RELATED new OtherComic.
Spoiler:
And title text.
ggh wrote:Hey, I just saw Zooman in my google doodle. :)

:shock: How did I get in there? Can you show us?

ETA1: Found it! It seems that there are several different green molpies in various versions of said doodle. Here am I:
Spoiler:
I'm the one all the way down, looking for my hat.
ggh wrote:Gotta run. Helicopter park awaits.

Coincindentally, "Gotta Run" is the new hit single of VHF's new album "Helicopter Park Awaits".

ETA2:
StormAngel wrote:I've seen a few of the ONGhanced Time After Time images via ED, but its its about Time I blitzed them myself. Which viewer is best?

For a frame-by-frame view balthasar's viewer, for an animation Aluísio's animation.

StormAngel wrote:
Spoiler:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
bakery.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0592

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:30 am UTC

LONGAHAS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstBiQpAxsXCSozFzAZEiwjEy4XJzsiMD8iNUQiEy03FzUjBiYbDDMjCTsZCkAZDj9ADDU6GzRDD0JCFkpHFFNMGFhSJ1pTJm1iJ2VbHmBPG2RcIWBPOGRZFjI7IjhILEJZLkEhITsfHGxiWGAgJ1NNE0MqNm5hRG9gN1xSKHJmR3dnWHdkOHNmHnFmWoVxToJwWoJtZolyTIBvd5J2aHpjT3BfZoJrd4RoW3FeSGVXVmpYYW5ac3xiZ3RdiZRzQ1pOcHhfeo1xhItsj5NwNlVNRV1Rg49wJU1IMU9JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

balthasar_s

Re: I'VE REACHED A BIG ROUND-NUMBER MILESTONE!

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:24 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I had to disable the PM feature on the mirror (when your post couldn't be posted you got a PM informing about this which included the quote) […]

Why not require a password for everything involving the xkcd fora?
  Users of ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ already need to supply a password to do a mustardpost (Image). I suggest you require their password for this PM feature too. An easy way to test if the password is good, without actually initiating a post or PM, is to try viewing a profile page, like my profile. Once you've determined that you can log in as them to view a profile, you know the password works and then you can add their username to a list of "confirmed approved PM recipients". After doing that, continue with whatever you were going to do, and discard passwords and cookies in whatever way you normally would. Once they're on the approved list, they don't have to pass this test again.
  Once you have created an "approved list", then the bot that sends PM messages can check that list. It does not have to know how the list was generated, and it doesn't have to test passwords or anything else. So if you have features that generate PMs but do not otherwise require a password, those features will still work. Of course, if the recipient is not on the approved list, the bot can skip the PM notification.
  This design would allow users of ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ to spam-PM each other, but I don't think that's much of a risk.

The whole point of this PM feature was to send the PM when the password is not correct:
  1. OTT is mustarded.
  2. You write a post on the mustardtime otherthread.
  3. You mistype your password (less likely these days - the password is visible)
  4. Mustard goes away
  5. _p tries to send your post to the OTT
  6. Because the password was wrong this fails
  7. _p sends you a PM (from my user account). In this PM is your post quoted.

The post can also be recovered from /ott/posted.

How this could be abused:
  1. Someone (who doesn't have an xkcd fora account) goes to the mirror
  2. writes some text in the post
  3. uses your username and a random password
  4. the post fails because the password is wrong
  5. you receive the PM which has the text quoted

Of course I can add things that verify the users. For example when the first post is successfully delivered. Or something similar to what you suggested. I already thought of something like this. I have also some other changes in mind. But now I don't have time for developing the mirror. I'm busy with something else. (soon the OTT may be able to see what) But I will come back to it later. Disabling the PM was just commenting a few lines.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Eternal Density

I'VE REACHED A BIG ROUND-NUMBER MILESTONE TOO!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:44 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I wonder what post-on-the-story/boost-hat-0166900.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 633 times means.

Morobu translated it into Japanese, but the result didn't help. I suggest you tell us where you saw this.
The story :P

mrob27 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I made some improvements to AdvanceStory […]

ggh wrote:[…] Also, not only the sense of instant gratification is gone, but also the confirmation that it's all working. […]

I agree with @ggh that there's not nearly enough feedback: the user should at least be told precisely what effect their action(s) will have on the outcome.
  As for fun, I think reading the story itself is where the fun comes from. As far as I'm concerned, if the story updates eventually, I can just come back in a yip or two and read it. How about making it always add one character per mini-ONG, even if there is nomolpy watching?
  Regarding the CAPTCHA, it's a great idea, and I'm sure you'll find a good balance. But the little tiny box for typing the answer is not nearly big enough (now that you're generating the CAPTCHA text with names like this). Make the textarea wider, like this:

Yeah the CAPTCHA is still sometimes longer than I want it to be, and I haven't even considered improving the text box yet (beside making the Enter key work in it). It doesn't even get emptied when you get the CAPTCHA wrong. It was all a rather raptorish job and I haven't had time to revisit it yet. But I think the (previously mentioned) changes I made should increase the amount of feedback and have removed the need to wait before you get any feedback at all. So I hope that's better. Maybe I'll have time to fix up the overriverish text area before I have to coma, or maybe not, in which case I won't be able to do so for over a wip. Because holidips! The sort that involve travel and a beach and of course sand. And sandcastle building. Hopefully it's better sand than last yip. Wait, it's 2016, so it's a yip and a half ago. Boababs time flies! Okay I'm rambling now. Whoops.

Also, it's always added at least one character per mini-ONG, and two if a single person is watching. :P

Before posting I checked the subject, and altered it because I remembered that this is going to be a centapost. And then remembered that I have a seaish thing to share which is suited to a milestone (though lacking in inappropriateness), but it wasn't finished, so I went and finished it, which took about a shortpix, or thereabouts. (And then after that I added the rambling bit about travelling. And then added this parenthetical bit last. Just do you know what order I wrote things in. Oops I'm rambling again.) So, without further ado, the latest hit song from Vital Hotdog Function:

The Cueball Video

(Currently lacking video)
(Parentheses denote background vocals, which may occur mid-line.)
(Except these ones)
Here's the video from Desert Bus that put a song in my head which I had to OTTify: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ebg4aoeIfk
And here's the actual original song that's being OTTified: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Here's to the molpish bunch of OTTers!
Inmolp!

Cueball, stick character
In the only true, comic strip
Cueball, stick character
Meg Meg Meg-Meg Megan too, Megan too (stick character)

The first duty of a Knight Temporal is to It
Waiting for It, and dot dot dot It, and running for it.
It's the founding principle on which the comic is based!
But even if you only wait for it once, you still deserve to hat your avatar!

This is becoming a song.
--You're an OTTer, ED, you're entitled.
Hmm, I'm intitled to molpy on about something everyone knows.

Cueball, stick character
Cueball, stick character

I just kept walking... down one long incredibly untidy grapevine stepping from molpy to molpy so that no one had a chance to molpy up and it tasted rather salty-alty
In...
-credibly untidy grapevine, stepping from molpy to molpy,
-credibly untidy grapevine, stepping from molpy to molpy.
Stepping from molpy to molpy
Rather salty
Rather salty
Rather salty-alty-alty-alty-alty

Cueball, stick character
Cueball, stick character

You'll have to get some bags, we're just leaving, we're, uh, not packed properly.
We-we-we, We walk, to discover, walking til we find, the reason why the sea goes up.
Tell me more!
You'll have to get some bags.
This is, the start of climbing, to the top
Turn back? A thousand heresies!
This is the plan, to find, why rivers rise
In spite of raptor cats, please, keep going I can help you, with a panther salve.
Tell me more!
You'll have to get some bags.

Amtoo and Beanette
At Gibraltar
Amtoo and Beanette (Inmolp!)
At Gibraltar (a vital hotdog function)

Amtoo and Beanette
At Gibraltar
Amtoo and Beanette (Inmolp!)
At Gibraltar (a vital hotdog function)

I am Rosetta of Bean, I will answer your questions
I am Roseta of Bean, we are Bean
I am Rosetta of Bean, I will assist you
I am Roseta of Bean, we are Bean
I am Rosetta of Bean, tie ropes to the raft castle
I am Rosetta of Bean. There were four maps!

Cueball, stick character
Cueball, stick character

Cueball, stick character
Cueball, stick character

ETA captcha length limited (by brute force: cropping string to 22 characters), text box expanded (also by brute force: css on that element id making width 100%) and the text box is emptied if you get the captcha wrong (explicitly clearing it in the callback function, aka brute force). FYI the captcha always contains a - (AFAIK) and is not case sensitive.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0593

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

ONGARLANDS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxsuAxwYOEVUJjtILz9QQ1pOGjdEEzFHBiYcITQ-MU5JRV1RUl5WUlphZm5gGjIYFkpIYW5aVmpYc3xjDj9AJU1IIjYXCSozD0JCcHhfFC0YDTQeIzoiFC48ByQpFywvC0UjCjIiDDU6CkU7FFNMGFlTJ2VbJ1pTF1tiG2RcImBPNm1hKFNNFzQjNUYfQ1AfHGtiN1xSOGRZJm1iSHZnSGVXRG5gOHNmKHFmWHdlHnFmWIVxTYFvToJwWYFtZolyZ4Jrd41yeJJ2T3BfWnFeZ3pjeIRpZ3RdiZNyi5JwhItrNlVNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

NoMouse

GOING CAVE IS HARD, LET'S GO UNBASEMENTING.

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:53 pm UTC

Happy new yip, dear OTTers!

I hope y'all had molpish Christmas. Baby Jesusj gave me Thing Explainer, so I can now explain things while I explain things. So far, I learned that we are made of bags. A lot of bags. And there's Antares on the bag of the book cover, described as a star that will blow up soon. I think GLR knows something we don't.

Oh, and today we got first snow of this winter. That was super-late, it usually happens in November.

ETA: Wow, I just read the new OtherComic. I already smiled a little bit at "Time is passing" and then read the title text. Don't worry, GLR, we know how to wait.

jThat's what we have instead of Santa
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:37 pm UTC

Epilogue sequence so far (CBEDCCAEAEDCAEC) matches hujackus' prediction perfectly. Baobabish, hujackus!

Molpish 2016H, everymolpy!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0594

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:30 pm UTC

ANKLONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstAx0ZBSUcFS4ZFzIbJDYbS1UrYW5aMU9JKUUpJTwwGjQ3FDIkDDU6CDQnEC0kCzodByMqCSozFSw4HDRGIzdIC0EdDj9AD0JCFkpIFFRMGFlTGFthG2RbHGtiJ2VbJ1pTHnFmJU1INlVNKFNNN1xSNm5hJm1iOGRZOHNmSHZnRG9gSGVXWHdlT4JwKHFmWYVxTYFuZYlyWYFteZJ2Z4JrZ3pjVmpYT3BfWnFeeI1xd4RpiJNzcHhfjJBukZVyc31jRV1RQ1pOZ3RdhY9whItrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0595

Postby mscha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:30 pm UTC

MISWORDONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

BxstAx4ZByErBiYbEi4cCjocCSozDi9IC0EcDDU6Dj9ACkEyD0JCFkpIFVRNGFlTJ1pTJ2RbJmxiG2RbHmBPJWFPMWNPN2RZHWtiNm1hTnBdJ15hCDYjFzIcLkEcKFNNN0QdTFQcRE0dLzshKDocJU1IWV8dMT8dFzMnN1xSKHFmOHNmSGVYRW9gO0MgSHZnHXFmWHdkTYFuWoVxWYFtZ4pyeJJ2Z4JrZ3pjd41yd4RpWnFecHhfjZJwiZRzZ3RdVmpYYW5aRV1Rcn1jNlVNhItsME9JQ1pOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Link

YOU CAN'T POST YOUR GHOLPY AND SCHIZOBLITZ IT TOO

Postby Link » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:00 pm UTC

I know I'm late, but have a molpish heretical newyip, everymolpy!

I've had a modicum of molpitude these holidips, though it was partly drowned out by twofold m*stard: (1) my mum's not doing very well at the moment and (2) I cueishly took on more work than I could deal with and now everything's starting to unravel and I think there's a singularity in the manifold on which my web-footed raptors live because I just can't get them aligned and help. The m*stardy feeling was not helped by the fact that one of the first things I saw this mornip was this (spoilered for **dish):
Spoiler:
Things are significantly more molpish now that I've managed to finish an important assignment *just* before the deadline, though. Now to tackle the remaining trillion things I have left to do.

**dish RSIR:
Spoiler:
Screenshot_2016-01-01-09-52-21-crop.png

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:45 am UTC

I wrote:Epilogue sequence so far (CBEDCCAEAEDCAEC) matches hujackus' prediction perfectly. Baobabish, hujackus!

And the complete 0's sequence for 2016 is: CBEDCCAEAEDCAECDBABAEDBA. As predicted by hujackus.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:13 am UTC

Yes, work that steakish is quite rare.

NoMouse

Re: YOU CAN'T POST YOUR GHOLPY AND SCHIZOBLITZ IT TOO

Postby NoMouse » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

Link wrote:The m*stardy feeling was not helped by the fact that one of the first things I saw this mornip was this (spoilered for **dish):
Spoiler:

Wow, for some reason the voldeframe in this context seems much more unmolpish. I can imagine this in a horror movie as a way of foreshadowing something bag.

Here, have this picture of OTTers being molpish instead.
(sorry, can't hotlink nor upload it, it's html5 video)
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”