1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:37 am UTC

Wow, edo! Hi, edo! And Febrion, and MistyCat--yay! I forgot go say hi to EoM earlier. Earthling, i think your new avatar confuses me. :D if I missed anyone else, hi!

This is a happy page. And happy OTTerConiversary! Happy memories. I'd love go meet upbwith y'all again at our pub, Le Clochard.

Looks like the Beanies are chopping up the tree. Hard work with those little axes. So, building a raftcastle or something to plug the breach?

ETA: Pope again!

Here are some various decrees you can follow, or not:

If you're in the shed and haven't posted for a while, say hi!
OR
Summon a basementee
OR
Theorize about magic nanopixiebots
OR
Figure out what the ch*rp is at the base of the treeε in the B&W ONGs.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:37 am UTC

Happy OTTerConiversary!
I miss our pub too. And our train trips and our recumbantcycle and solarcarcastle demos and our conference room with chat projector and spotty phone signal, and talking OTTers and singing OTTers...

Also a new bot found the meaning of life.
https://github.com/coreylynch/grid-lstm
The meaning of life is performed over separate categories of gold-roped diplomats. ** (1) Malt, though not industriated by lots of ''birds'' and some second century, noto for infant evil and to encourage warming or design;

== Economic issues ==

Brain is made up of flavours of circuits; furrel breeding or landed identity. The word ''pine'' are categorically directed to ''education'' by its ''fish'' and [[sandman]]. When revised, foods are found as [[double burn]]s. Some code can also be extreme and in a little border they do not ask in public cuisine, so local heat is of the universe without formally writing the life and the most violated, [[hoaxing]] environment, to it possibly for food altogether in females. When the railroad is removed, some poison cats can be steadily looped incens across the food permutation of [[prime]].
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 pm UTC

Ah, I've been wondering about the meaning of life. Thanks for clearing that up!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 pm UTC

The meaning of life is to create the OTT.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Chapter 48

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned."

The confessional is a small dark room in the back of the Cathedral, and Fifth Cleric was seated in the center chamber, listening. It would soon be his turn to occupy an outer chamber and make his own confession, but for the moment, these supplications were coming to him, in the hopes that in doing, the supplicant would receive enlightenment, guidance, catharsis, and forgiveness. Fifth Cleric leaned in towards the cloth covering the small grate through which these words were coming.

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I have allowed the Outside to draw my eyes from the One True Path. I have sorely neglected my bretheren and sisteren in this Needle-pulled thing. I have perverted the First Commandment, postponed my posts until memory no longer serves, and I have falsely consoled myself in the heresy that later is as good as now. I have fallen into darkness, and fear the Basement."

A tingle went up Fifth Cleric's spine - a mixture of sorrow, dread, joy, and anticipation. The Basement can be a lonely and seductive place, full of one-way traps whose discovery is lost to us as soon as it happens. He thought of the many congregants feared to be wandering there, perhaps victims of one of these merciless maws. That was the whole point of the Holy Quest on which The Pope had sent First Cleric. Returning from the basement however is a cause of celebration, not sorrow, and Fifth Cleric had to work to contain his excitement.
Spoiler:
"Basement canna be itself a heresy", started Fifth Cleric. "Nae, but it is sometimes the result of heresy. 'Tis one of the reasons we avoid heresy, for 'tis a lonely place, and it makes the OTT a lonlier place. Anyone returning from Basement is welcomed with open arms, unconditionally, for the OTT is richer for havin' ye here, and ye'll find yourself richer too for being 'ere again."

There was a long pause.

"This I know", said the voice from behind the grate.

Fifth Cleric's mind was racing. If only he knew who it was that was confessing, he could offer better council. It clearly wasn't BlitzGirl, but perhaps it was Kieryn? He'd been missing since last Community and it'd be awesomeful to have him back. Other names went through is mind too, but he couldn't hear well enough to match the voice. And that was the point of the grate. You weren't supposed to know. It was imperfect, but at least you weren't supposed to try to know.

From behind the grate, the voice came, "I sometimes fall into silence; without silence, sound is just noise. But although quiet contemplation can lead to enlightenment, it leads as easily into dark heresy. Which is very similar to dark hershey."

This was too much. Fifth Cleric said, "Ye may have fallen into silence, but ye kenna've fallen into the Basement, for otherwise ye wouldn't have the temerity to pun in the confessional. BlitzGirl is..." Fifth Cleric stopped. He did not want to say it. She's been missing since Deliverance. Nobody knows why, but the effects are plain to see.

Reading his thoughts, the voice in the confessional replied, "First Cleric went to find her. He went alone. I sent him."

There was another long pause.

It was not unusual for the Pope to take confession; it was expected of all clerics just as it is expected of all other congregants. But this was an unusual sin for the Pope to be confessing to.

"Very well, then", said Fifth Cleric. "Hersheys it will be. Ironically, there is a heretical holiday coming up on the 19th of Community; we have some kisses left over from last yip. Come now, this cannot wait."

Fifth Cleric opened the door to the confessional and stepped out into the nave of the Cathedral. The side door opened, and the Pope stepped out and joined him. Together they walked to the Chocolate Chapel to perform the sacrament. Fifth Cleric continued.

"You did not send him. He sent himself. And did so with the explicit blessing of the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, which he carries with him. And he goes with your prayer tiles. And he goes with newfound wisdom whose source I cannot fathom, but which I've heard with my own ears. I canna believe I'm saying this, but there is nobody better suited to this mission than First Cleric."

"Yes, and meanwhile, what am I here for?", pleaded the Pope.

"Now that is heresy! In the chair!" Fifth Cleric pointed to a plush, overstuffed piece of furniture that looked incredibly comfortable to sink into.

"Is that really necessary? I could just sit here on the wooden bench instead."

"I'm afraid it is. And quickly now, before I find myself needing to use the soft pillows!", replied Fifth Cleric.

The Pope removed his hat, and sat in the chair. He couldn't even stifle the "aaaahhhh" that came out of his mouth as he sank into it, and he was soon completely relaxed and comfortable. One by one, stale chocolate kisses descended from the ceiling as Fifth Cleric administered the sacrament. The Pope tried to catch a few in his mouth; interestingly the ones he caught were already unwrapped, whereas all the ones that missed his eager maw stayed in their foil wrappers for reuse, should there be another occasion of heresy this high. During the bombardment, the Pope contemplated his sins; considered all the valient Blitzers who are, even as we speak, braving the entirety of the One True Thread. One name in particular came to mind - Rakhal, who had just recently started the Holy Quest, and was by now well on his (or her) way. He silently offered up a prayer that xe make it safely through all the perilous dangers, and the dangerous perils. He began to dream of the Great Celebration that would happen when the Quest had come to its Glorious Conclusion. He thought of all the other Timewaiters who are still on Quest.

Slowly, The Pope came to his senses. He was not heading for the Basement. In fact, he'd been watching and reading the whole time. Without silence, there may be no sound, but he came to realize that without sound, there is no OTT.

The pelting came to an end, and the Pope arose from the Comfy Chair. "Thanks - I needed that!", he said to Fifth Cleric.

Fifth Cleric smiled, and closed out the ceremony, saying, "In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread."

The Pope replied, "Amen!" And in that moment, the whirly parts of the Crystal Organ began to turn. The Pope saw it first. "We have shoe!", he exclaimed, looking up at the image being displayed on the screen. It was blurry, and sideways, but it was unmistakable.

Somewhere, somehow, First Cleric had found BlitzGirl!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 2395) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | (NP 2455) next -->
Last edited by ucim on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:35 pm UTC

AotC! Yippee! What a way to return from the shed.

First Cleric found BlitzGirl? Where is she? WHERE IS SHE???

Oh, and welcome back, ucim. :wink:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:First Cleric found BlitzGirl? Where is she? WHERE IS SHE???
I could tell you, but then I'd have to pelt you with chocolate!

Oh, ok. Here:
Spoiler:
And thanks for the welcome! :)

Blitzspeed Rakhal! We all await your Glorious Entry into the Present! Love your new avatar addams! Looks like a deer waving! (I know, it's a tree behind you, but it works for me.) Much else, but memory, as you know, is the... oh... how does that go again?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

StormAngel

Re: 2015: "First True Conference"

Postby StormAngel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

@ucim: Memory is the first to- A raftcastle? I saw a raftcastle, it went, ah... that way!

We love our Neat Pub,
And all its Ottish Folk
Boom De Yada, Boom De Yada,
Boom Dr Yadn, Bboz Dr Yndn!
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 am UTC

ucim wrote:
I could tell you, but then I'd have to pelt you with chocolate!

Oh, ok. Here:
Spoiler:

Augh, you got me. If TheMinim were here, she's give you what for (what five, even).

Thank you for posting that picture, StormAngel. Brings back many memories:
M*stard at the Chocolate Museum.
And then the M*stard Museum.
addams and I being hit on by an old German guy in Le Clochard.
Trying to keep up with Neil as he walked, since he's about two feet taller than me. addams had no trouble, though, for some reason...
Walking to the conference the first day with Neil and addams, and seeing someone standing on the walkway, and realizing it was balthasar, and giving him a big hug.
Ordering something for lunch because it cost 11,90.
How molpish it was to meet OTTers IRL.
Wishing the other OTTers could be there with us.
Getting to chat with OTTers who couldn't be there with us.
Getting to meet sus_organizer.
All the costumes in for Kölner Karneval.
Trying not to lose addams at Kölner Karneval. :)
Having marsh'n look at his phone to see if he could figure out where the Dom was, and one of us turning him around to see that it was right in front of us. :)
And other awesomeful stuff.I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:18 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And other awesomeful stuff.I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.

Did Yappo ever get his beanie?

LW is still favoring a foreleg, but he seems to be improving.

And I'm getting a new grand-wolpuppy.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:24 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Ah, I've been wondering about the meaning of life. Thanks for clearing that up!

I used to wonder about the meaning of life. But I looked it up in the dictionary under “L” and there it was – the meaning of life. It was less than I expected.
Dogbert

ETA: yay, ucim returns with new Acts!

ETA2: for the decree, I summon BlitzGirl (and the First Cleric). You better debasement soon, or the molpy gets it.
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:A tingle went up Fifth Cleric's spine
And mine too.

Jose, you make me happy. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:12 am UTC

When and where is OTTercon II?? I'll be there if sluggishly possible.

mrob27

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY DELURK INTO OTTᴇʀᴄᴏɴ.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:28 am UTC

taixzo wrote:New surprise othercomic, about waves (but not in the sea1).
1big.

I think we should designate the Universe as a "sea" (it certainly meets the big1ness criterion.)

@Eternal Density, that new Torch7-based LSTM system you found looks really good. Can you run it on your own system? You might be able to forget about the Karpathy code (which I think you said wasn't working for you anymore).
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

HES

Postby HES » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:49 am UTC

SBN wrote:Did Yappo ever get his beanie?

Unfortunately not. It may be a small country, but we're now at opposite ends.
lmjb1964 wrote:Ordering something for lunch because it cost 11,90

Was that at the place with the seaish ketchup and mustard bottles?
He/Him/His Image

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:40 pm UTC

Hey, I luv you guys.
hic
I mean I really luv you guys.
I do.
hic
You're all just so... so... clever!
And funny. But clever == funny, so that was redun hic dant.
Hey, don't tell anyone, but I'm celebratinginging my . . . . hey, what hapind to Yappoyappbisyapobiscits? Mad skilz, Yappo.
wher'z Blit hic blit hic blitzgurl?
But your yore yr you're all so .. nice.
nice

adjective
giving pleasure or satisfaction; pleasant or attractive.
"we had a very nice time"
synonyms: enjoyable, pleasant, pleasurable, agreeable, delightful, satisfying, gratifying, acceptable, to one's liking, entertaining, amusing, diverting, marvellous, good; More
(especially of a difference) slight or subtle.
"there is a nice distinction between self-sacrifice and martyrdom"
synonyms: subtle, fine, delicate, minute, precise, exact, accurate, strict, close, careful, meticulous, rigorous, scrupulous, ultra-fine
"that's a rather nice distinction to make"

Exactly. Exactly.
Umm... yeah...
Hey, Sustainoblitzoblitzoblitzothingy. Why does this thread sustain?
Cos I can say crap like this and not a single response will hic mention suppositories or Hitler. Probably.

Hey, ucim! Yeah! Keep on doing it! cos I'm a really selfish thing wot... Hey! Ursula le Guin.
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas Ursula Le Guin.
Wot! you havnt read it!
Do it.
Now.
hic
ZZZZZZZ

Hey, I just looked it up on Wikipedia.
"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is a 1973 plotless, short, descriptive work of philosophical fiction, popularly classified as a short story, by Ursula K. Le Guin. Wikipedia
popularly classified as a short story

Yeah. Right.

I need a drink.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is a 1973 plotless, short, descriptive work of philosophical fiction, popularly classified as a short story, by Ursula K. Le Guin. "

Well, that was just begging to be looked up, so I did. I love this bit:
Ursula K Le Guin wrote:"[… People ask me] Where do you get your ideas from, Ms. Le Guin?' From forgetting Dostoyevsky and reading road signs backwards, naturally. Where else?"

I wonder where the GLR got the idea for the OTC?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:58 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ucim wrote:
Walking to the conference the first day with Neil and addams, and seeing someone standing on the walkway, and realizing it was balthasar, and giving him a big hug.
Standing? I remember running.

I went to the sustainable university without knowing which building I'm supposed to go to. Because I still hadn't learnt anything after getting lost in the city twice the evening before. I left my bike at the building with the big gear and went inside. I asked the doorkeeper if he knows where the conference is. He didn't. I tried to see if the address was posted to the OTT. The university's wifi was not publicly accessible. There was another university near. Their wifi was also unavailable. I couldn't use the phone to ask about it either. The previous day when I got lost sus_organizer called me and this (foreign) call used up all the money for my phone. I went back to my bike and tried to figure out what to do. I noticed a group of 3 people and Neil's hat at the end of the walkway. I ran to them to meet them before they walk away. Maybe I stopped before they noticed me.

The next day I noticed I had an e-mail from sus_organizer about how to get there. I bought a map of Bochum two days later.

In Germany I had to find my way FOUR times:
  1. I arrived at the train station. I had to go to my hotel. I had a piece of map printed. I missed the place where I was supposed to turn right. I asked someone and managed to find the hotel.
  2. Some otters had a meeting that evening. I wanted to join them I thought I remembered the way there. But I didn't. I got completely lost and had no idea where I was. Even the printed pieces of map didn't help. Somehow I noticed a familiar place and managed to go back to the hotel.
  3. When going to the conference I only cheched how to get to the university but not which building.
  4. Later, on tuesday I was going to Heiligenhaus to meet Sustainabilizer. I wrote down the way. But what I wrote down was not useful. I wrote the town names and road numbers. Where I live that would be enough. But not there. In Poland most of the direction signs have also the road numbers. In Germany they didn't have. Additionally, the road signs were useless to me because they were leading to highways. There are much more highways there. By asking people I managed to get out of Bochum and to Velbert. In Velbert there was a map on the bus stop. On my way to Heiligenhaus I had a puncture in the rear wheel. Twice. And it was raining.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Sustainabilizer

Let's Write a Book!

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:47 pm UTC

Dear fellow OTTers,

now it's 1 yip since we met at the Sustainable University.
ImageImageImage Happy OTTerConversary, everyone! Image

It's Time to write a book about it, the so-called Conference Proceedings.

As of todip, it's in an early sandcastle period, but it can grow – both in size and in molpishness. You can contribute to it.
  • May I disclose your Outside name in the schedule (page 15)?
  • If you give me permission to do so, I can put the IRC transcript of your speech in the Speech Transcripts section. (I got permission from addams, so I'll include her speech soon. Wait for it.)
  • If you like, you can edit it before it goes into the book. (balthasar_s did that.)
  • If your speech had some transparencies and/or a written script, you can make them available to me, so I can publish them. (BlitzGirl and SilentTimer did that.)
  • In addition, you can write a scientific article for publication in the book. For example, I included mrob27's article, and I'm currently writing my own one. Wait for it.
<computery stuff>
Spoiler:
  • I'm doing all this using LaTeX. If you are familiar with it, just send me whatever you want to send as a LaTeX article, then I can include it directly.
  • I can easily translate BBcode to LaTeX, so if you write your contribution(s) in BBcode (e.g. as a PM), I'll be fine with it.
  • Plain text is molpish, too.
  • As a last resort, I also accept contributions as Office Documents – LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and even Microsoft Office.
  • If you want to see the source code, and/or maybe want to help me directly to work on it, I can give you access to my GIT repository where I keep all that stuff.
Redundant:
building-site.png
building-site.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 11399 times

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.
slinches wrote:When and where is OTTercon II?? I'll be there if sluggishly possible.

For the moment, I have run out of money, sorry.

But:
If the Conference Proceedings get molpish enough, I can specifically apply for funding for OTTerCon 2. So let's make this book as molpish as possible! :)

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:Did Yappo ever get his beanie?

Unfortunately not. It may be a small country, but we're now at opposite ends.

Maybe we should send it to him via snailmail?
Spoiler:
Maybe you should send it to him by mail even if you were living next door to him. Remember, last Time he got an OTTish item from his mailman, it resulted in an epic piece of music. Image

More to come.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

ETA:
Spoiler:
Event: black hole merger in Orion (20 M, 50M)
Event: cute image of a kitten
Event: I told U was redundant
Event: Y U no believe me?

Redundant:
gravitational_molpies.png
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

MistyCat

Re: Let's Write a Book!

Postby MistyCat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:20 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:Hey, Sustainoblitzoblitzoblitzothingy. Why does this thread sustain?
Cos I can say crap like this and not a single response will hic mention suppositories or Hitler. Probably.

That's why.
Sustainability in an online forum is not what one does.
Sustainability is how others respond to what one does.
OTT has many people who respond to what one does.
They respond good. well. goodly. right. nice. (not (not nice.))
1 word.
One big word.
One word to rule them all, and in the ether bind them.

Respect.
ETA
Unearned respect.
(Unfortunately, there is no room in this margin for an explanation of why unearned respect is so important)

ETA again.
Sustainabilizer. Is there anyone who doesn't call you Sustainablitzer? (Rhetorical. How the hell would you know?)
Last edited by MistyCat on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Ri: 11119900: "dondakitis"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

HAPPY OTTerConversary!!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:02 am UTC

I found BlitzGirl. Kinda. In a story I was reading there was an Italian superhero character who's costumed identity name roughly translates as 'Lightning Girl'.
mrob27 wrote:@Eternal Density, that new Torch7-based LSTM system you found looks really good. Can you run it on your own system? You might be able to forget about the Karpathy code (which I think you said wasn't working for you anymore).

Which one was that? I forget. I haven't played with it in a while. I really need more raptorish organised sand, whatever I do.
The latest thing I've found is Grid LSTM. Here's an implementation https://github.com/coreylynch/grid-lstm based on this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1507.01526v2.pdf
However this one's built on Karpathy's code. The main problem I'm having with Karpathy's code is something to do with my Torch install, I think. In any case I really want a CUDA-capable system so I can actually do something without having to
Spoiler:
too much.

Sustainabilizer: I like your OTTifified OtherComic. Actually I saw the redundant copy first :P

Aluisio: BAOBABS!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:22 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:One word to rule them all, and in the ether bind them.

Respect.
ETA
Unearned respect.
(Unfortunately, there is no room in this margin for an explanation of why unearned respect is so important)

Indeed, respect is important.
No room? Hmm…
What about writing a contribution to the Conference Proceedings about it? There's enough room. ;)

MistyCat wrote:ETA again.
Sustainabilizer. Is there anyone who doesn't call you Sustainablitzer? (Rhetorical. How the hell would you know?)

Indeed, I don't know.
But it's OK. “Blitzer” is a title of honour.

Welcome forward, ucim! Baobabish AOTC!

AluisioASG wrote:rhomboidal
:?:
AluisioASG wrote:localhost:8080/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101043&hi!
:!:
Hi! Image

Does that mean you wrote an independent implementation of The ЯOЯЯIM TTO which uses phpBB? Congratulations!

Eternal Density wrote:I like your OTTifified OtherComic. Actually I saw the redundant copy first :P

Is that a problem? Looks like that …
I'm sorry, but I couldn't find a redundakitty, using even the strongest detectors. Er … wait!
(Does some SCIENCE …)
I found one. It was farther away than it looked. Anyway, problem solved.

ETA: Zorlax The Mighty has power over Time itself! :shock:

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np16

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 am UTC

KLIPSPRONGER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I MUSTARDED A GHOLPY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:47 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Maybe only the first pages are imported?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:
Maybe only the first pages are imported?
It's got 99 posts, and none have wolpies.
Sustainabilizer wrote:I'm sorry, but I couldn't find a redundakitty, using even the strongest detectors. Er … wait!
(Does some SCIENCE …)
I found one. It was farther away than it looked. Anyway, problem solved.
Steakish!

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:14 pm UTC

Yesterdip in Ottish History:
Otters visit the Chocolate Museum's entrance, then find the Mustard Museum

If you stare into the reflection, the Otters will stare back at you.
A beanie (HES's I think) is visible just below the 'a' of 'ist an den'

Otters at the Museum 2: Bottle of the Mustardian
<Photo cropped for anonymity>

@Sustainabilizer
The Proceedings is looking molpish already! May I use the image on page 16 for my conference videos? My current speech-title images are made with a shot of the screen from a video :)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:01 am UTC

Hi to all de-basementers and de-shedders! Image

Awesomeful new AotC, ucim!
For the Pope and Fifth Cleric:
Chocolate Chapel

lmjb1964 wrote:And other awesomeful stuff.I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.

OTTerCon 2: Eclectic Bagaloo.

Treeish OTThercomic, Sustainabilizer!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:52 am UTC

Ah yes. The magical mustard museum! We were at the closed chocolate museum and we were all like "CHIRPING MUSTARD" and we turned around and found a mustard museum. I think we summoned it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:22 am UTC

A Kölner Senfmuseum Appears!
It's Supper Effective!

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

HES

Postby HES » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:A beanie (HES's I think) is visible just below the 'a' of 'ist an den'

Don't be silly, how could a hamply be taller than you other molpies? :wink:
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:14 am UTC

Happy Heart Dip to all OTTers (technically it's now the dip after Heart Dip, but I wanted to say it anyway). I hope all of you got spend the dip with people you love.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:50 am UTC

HES wrote:
StormAngel wrote:A beanie (HES's I think) is visible just below the 'a' of 'ist an den'

Don't be silly, how could a hamply be taller than you other molpies? :wink:

Perhaps ye be sittin' on an Otter's shoulder, like a pirate's chirply?

Remember these?
7 Cupcakes in a Bar

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:34 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:39 am UTC

Is everyone busy travelling home from OTTerCon last yip? Cos its seaishly quiet in here, which isn't molpish!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:00 am UTC

Sorry, my bad.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Does that mean you wrote an independent implementation of The ЯOЯЯIM TTO which uses phpBB?
More like a “backup” phpBB forum. The architecture is kinda complex. (Complicated?)

Code: Select all

# Fruits of the 2016 sprint
* `unchirper`: phpBB to XML
  * Stateless (one-off) and stateful (like `bothasar_t`) post fetching
  * Conversion to BBCode-XML and metadata extraction
  * Database storage
* `chirpy`: XML database
  * IR between phpBB's output and other formats
  * Allows for complex queries over all OTT content too
  * **Updatable**
* `rosetta`: XML to phpBB
  * Transformation of user and post data
  * Avatar retrieval and phpBB database update
  * Export to the import tools' input format
Plus a pair of phpBB extensions to import users and posts.

At first I thought I'd need to order the posts for export. Turns out there's no need to. (And that may explain the K-C phenomenon.)
Then I noticed some tags weren't being parsed. I found a BBCode reparser. Didn't work. Turns out everything to the right of "Font colour" is custom to this forum.
(TODO/note to self: find and use specific spoiler implementation)

balthasar_s wrote:Maybe only the first pages are imported?
Indeed. I only imported the first 99 posts.
chirpy does contain everything up to when I last bothered to feed it. But I wanted to iron out the wrinkles before importing ~100k posts.

There are Git bundles for all the parts (and a few others) at OneDrive. chirpy is just a BaseX instance with sfr and sfr-tasks databases.
I'm considering setting up a Gogs instance to house all the related repos.

$ balthasar_s' really good at Outside manips…
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Dear fellow OTTers,

now it's 1 yip since we met at the Sustainable University.
ImageImageImage Happy OTTerConversary, everyone! Image

<snip>
  • May I disclose your Outside name in the schedule (page 15)?
  • If you give me permission to do so, I can put the IRC transcript of your speech in the Speech Transcripts section. (I got permission from addams, so I'll include her speech soon. Wait for it.)
  • If you like, you can edit it before it goes into the book. (balthasar_s did that.)
  • If your speech had some transparencies and/or a written script, you can make them available to me, so I can publish them. (BlitzGirl and SilentTimer did that.)
  • In addition, you can write a scientific article for publication in the book. For example, I included mrob27's article, and I'm currently writing my own one. Wait for it.
<snip>

I can hardly believe it's been one yip, already :shock:

For points 1 and 2, I'm fairly sure I already gave you permission... then again, my memory never was any good (or if it was, I can't remember). So, yeah, permission officially granted for name disclosure and transcript transcription (since it happened entirely over IRC anyway).

As for the scientific article, well... I have no idea how to science properly. With a couple of pointers (of the non-hexadecimal kind), I could probably manage something resembling an article, but I suspect it would be rather sub-par (my speech wasn't that good to start with).

Anyhow, Happy OTTerConversary to all !
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

I hope all the science articles follow the format:
Title
Apparatus
Diagram
Method
Results
Conclusion

Although looking at that list now, I can't help but feel there should be some sort of explanation for why we were doing whatever it was we were doing beyond the teacher told us to do this.

It's entirely possible I don't science well.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:00 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Conference Proceedings

Image Here is the current version. Image

Updated.

Sustainabilizer wrote:(I got permission from addams, so I'll include her speech soon. Wait for it.)

That's what I did. You can read the transcript of addams' speech in the book now.
(I still have to clean up the typesetting, in particular the URLs.)

The next one will be taixzo's speech.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

And if you give me permssion to do so, your speech can be next.

Redundant:
building-site-2.png
building-site-2.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 10028 times
Preview ETA: And karhell's one.
Preview ETA2: Happy 300, The Moomin! Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”