Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:36 am UTC

Right now I'm just seeing Connection Refused... Is the server working? I'm on 1.8.9.

In other news, I'm playing a mod called Millénaire that adds NPC villages. Some of the villagers gather resources like in an RTS, and when there are enough materials in the stockpile they upgrade buildings and build new ones. (You can also sell them things to speed up the process, and some things like iron they can't get themselves.) A little buggy but interesting.

My favorite feature is having to "learn" the languages of different cultures: the NPCs all speak foreign languages, but after trading with them enough and listening to conversations you start seeing the translations.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:29 am UTC

I'm done! I'm free! This project might have turned me just a teensy-weensy bit crazy, but it's all okay now. I present to you:

The xkcraftia transport map:

Here are the raw files and some notes on the data:
https://github.com/eott/xkcd-transport

During my trip I also encountered some amusing things, chronicled here:
http://imgur.com/a/VeWJc

If anyone wants names changed (your fault for not naming things in the first place) or missing edges/nodes added, just message me and I'll update the map.

In conclusion, I highly encourage anyone to go exploring the map. I have not seen everything by far and it's very enjoyable. This is truly an extraordinary map, once you get to know it. I played for who knows how many hours over the last days and while I didn't build or craft anything of note, I very much enjoyed every last minute. Even the frustration of suddenly discovering yet another railstation or teleport button.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:30 pm UTC

Looks fun! Winterfell and mountain fort were me, but the lighted rail from there used to run all the way to old spawn (I built it all the way to where it connected to the old tram-way, somewhere around the big suspension bridge), did that break? :(

Other fun times in the old server, the only (kinda fast) way from old spawn to Pandora used to be a very sketchy minecart ride on the nether rail, which would constantly glitch out and stop you. Roosevelt guided me on my first time.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:59 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:An odd new behavior on the server: chests with half slabs over them no longer open if the half slab is in the bottom half of the block above the chest. A glass block above is still fine as is if the half slab is in the top-half of the block above the chest.

In a single player world it still works fine. Could it possibly be related to the recent "internal server error"? Perhaps a restart would clear it?

I just updated the server to be 1.8.9 instead of just 1.8...which did require a restart.

Ok, but why would that have broken chest w/half-slabs?

Oh, and the server seems to be locked up as of just a couple minutes ago.....

I just tested chests and half-slabs. If the slab is on the bottom part of the block, it appears to stop the chest from opening, but will still open when in the top half of the block. This same thing occurs in single-player.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Looks fun! Winterfell and mountain fort were me, but the lighted rail from there used to run all the way to old spawn (I built it all the way to where it connected to the old tram-way, somewhere around the big suspension bridge), did that break? :(.

Yeah, the rail from Desert Village is broken by newly generated terrain (probably missing chunk data during a move of the map) just shy of 500 blocks out from Carlo's Outpost. So it could be repaired if someone has some iron to spare. In fact, I might just have enough lying around, but need to construct another railway first.

That railway is truly something remarkable. I'd never have the patience to complete a project that big. I mean, that's thousands of iron bars and some hundreds of thousands of clicks to place everything.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm UTC

Yup. actually that's one of the reasons for the mountain fort, to mine for iron. Lots of iron was also gleaned by spelunking the open chasms between mountain fort and winterfell, along with a few others.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:37 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:I'm done! I'm free! This project might have turned me just a teensy-weensy bit crazy, but it's all okay now. I present to you:

If anyone wants names changed (your fault for not naming things in the first place) or missing edges/nodes added, just message me and I'll update the map.

In conclusion, I highly encourage anyone to go exploring the map. I have not seen everything by far and it's very enjoyable. This is truly an extraordinary map, once you get to know it. I played for who knows how many hours over the last days and while I didn't build or craft anything of note, I very much enjoyed every last minute. Even the frustration of suddenly discovering yet another railstation or teleport button.

I should get back on, see if I still have modrights and, if so, start connecting the Airship Nexus to everything else.

Also, give it a proper name, since I don't think I ever did.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
raudorn wrote:I'm done! I'm free! This project might have turned me just a teensy-weensy bit crazy, but it's all okay now. I present to you:

I should get back on, see if I still have modrights and, if so, start connecting the Airship Nexus to everything else.

Also, give it a proper name, since I don't think I ever did.

Everyone you made a mod is still a mod.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

That's a pretty cool map. I'd forgotten we'd named that landmass Pandora.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

Assuming xkcd.cbouton.com is the current server address, can I be whitelisted?

[edit] meanwhile I'll be enjoying the music in the title screen. It didn't have that back in the 1.7 days. :roll:

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:22 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:An odd new behavior on the server: chests with half slabs over them no longer open if the half slab is in the bottom half of the block above the chest. A glass block above is still fine as is if the half slab is in the top-half of the block above the chest.

In a single player world it still works fine. Could it possibly be related to the recent "internal server error"? Perhaps a restart would clear it?

I just updated the server to be 1.8.9 instead of just 1.8...which did require a restart.

Ok, but why would that have broken chest w/half-slabs?

I just tested chests and half-slabs. If the slab is on the bottom part of the block, it appears to stop the chest from opening, but will still open when in the top half of the block. This same thing occurs in single-player.

I did some searching on this related to Forge versions and there is mention that this is new intentional behavior in Forge 1.8.9. It eludes me why this was done since it does not work that way in vanilla minecraft. Sadly, there are a number of places where this has been used and is a pain and will be cumbersome to remedy.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

Whelp, I'm inside a wall (and therefore very much dying) after logging in again. Can I be moved out of it? (I'm near 3000,70,-100 or "disruption terminus" as raudorn calls it)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:48 pm UTC

You still on, Flumble?

Oh, and update to this...

Zeppelin Nexus now connects to the Southern Pandora XP Farm and... Roller Coaster? Whatever that farm thing is in the foothills of the Giant Tower.

Of course, that's the issue when judging by stops and not actual distance. Oh well! Now to figure out where Uglytree National Park is...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:23 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You still on, Flumble?.

I'll be back in approximally 21 hours (22:00 TAI) or 33 hours (10:00 TAI).

And if I am to become death, so be it. Respawning at some weird bed (probably cookie kingdom) will not withhold me from building something special at disruption terminus. (next week's a holiday).

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Zeppelin Nexus now connects to the Southern Pandora XP Farm and... Roller Coaster? Whatever that farm thing is in the foothills of the Giant Tower.

Of course, that's the issue when judging by stops and not actual distance. Oh well! Now to figure out where Uglytree National Park is...

Oops, I misread a sign at the railstation. The place is actually just called "Wam's House" (of which there are several across the server) and the roller coaster is just a feature of that place.

Uglytree is at the end of the railroad, when you take the route from Grand Central towards Theodore Roosevelt Presidental Library and keep going on that rail. I think Uglytree was never finished and other than an artifical lava lake, I did not find much of interest there. Maybe I'll have a closer look.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:22 am UTC

As it turns out, the chunks between the desert village and carlo's outpost aren't merely replaced by new terrain, but they get reset every time they are unloaded. Could it be a corrupted or write-protected set of chunks?
FYI: these are the chunks near -3000,-150 to -2500,-150.

Raudorn, will you keep improving the transport map? If so, I have some distances:
Carlo's outpost – Frontier station: ~4 minutes
Frontier station – Spawn basement: ~4 minutes
Winterfell – Disruption Terminus: ~18 minutes (with the McDrive/desert village at about 16 minutes from Winterfell)

I like the fact that the map isn't geographically correct. :)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:As it turns out, the chunks between the desert village and carlo's outpost aren't merely replaced by new terrain, but they get reset every time they are unloaded. Could it be a corrupted or write-protected set of chunks?

Actually, sounds like it's a fun anomaly to have. perhaps build the rail around it, with viewing outposts, where you can see the "shifting lands" Does the biome change every time? or is it the same biome, just reset without new building on it?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:35 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:As it turns out, the chunks between the desert village and carlo's outpost aren't merely replaced by new terrain, but they get reset every time they are unloaded. Could it be a corrupted or write-protected set of chunks?

Huh...it turns out that it was literally the only region file owned by root, and therefore the user the server runs as could not write to it. Not entirely sure how that happened, as I made sure to chown -R when I added the world...
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:13 am UTC

Wow.

I am amazed. Also, I knew there were oodles of things I'd never seen in the huge and rich history of the map, but wow; I may have to go on walkabout again soon.

I intuit that this is a map for things that are accessible from rail or teleport, but not portal? I think. Should the Mordorside Doomed Mining Outpost (Well, naming rights belong to Roosevelt) be on it? Largely because I think the I Wanna Be The Steve (IWBTS) game in it is also worthy of note. ...oh yeah, there *is* a railway to the Fiddler's Green portal; it's part of Monkey's nether trolley system (or was that Jaho's?

Wait, the portal that used to go to the outpost basement now goes to a spot on a seashore in Mordor barely within viewing distance of the outpost walls.
I'll have to see if I can fix that portal. Tourists expecting a game that WILL kill you probably don't want to hike through dark hellscapes to get there? Heh.

After that, maybe I can get the Outpost, IWBTS, Mordor and Fiddler's Green in the Lonely XKCDcraftia guide.

raudorn wrote:Uglytree is at the end of the railroad, when you take the route from Grand Central towards Theodore Roosevelt Presidental Library and keep going on that rail. I think Uglytree was never finished and other than an artifical lava lake, I did not find much of interest there. Maybe I'll have a closer look.
Uglytree is a place I settled for a few days. I tried to make a huge majestic birch (and an under-ice base) and when I failed at aesthetics and was going to tear it down someone encouraged me not to. I only figured out I was a short hop to what I think is Rippy's(?) Lava-Moat Castle after I'd moved on. Nostalgia moment follows.
Spoiler:
When I first started on the server (beds were invented and the ladder glitch was fixed, but there was no Nether and you could swat sheep to make them drop wool) I first started at a little gravel-roofed shack near spawn (had to have a base; needed to fix creeper damage to a castle that I caused.), then moved to an underground base in what is now Narnia (still marked with floating netherrack pyramid design), then to Uglytree (the server was busy then, and travel at night was dangerous), and finally nearly three thousand meters (a long distance when you have to travel at night and we didn't have a brightness slider or enchanted armor) to Fiddler's Green. My Fiddler's Green home was rougly where the ladder up to the top of my Mordor Sky was. I've still got copies of our old maps saved.

I made that journey a few times. I remember carrying loads of gunpowder from Monkey's spawnside mob farm (I still visit) and being petrified of mobs (sprinting wasn't a thing), and I remember once I lit a fire to kill some mobs and accidentally torched a whole forest (before fire was nerfed.) Most of my adventures would be only interesting to me, but I had some doozies.

When the nether was first invented, I tunneled all the way from spawn to where I *thought* would be home (well, there was a Nether reset and then Scallel (our troublmaker, but we liked him; his is the huge lava wall near spawn) made our hella cobble walkways but I tunneled again after the reset), and ended up somewhere distant, under a small lake that was filled with vacationing creepers having a picnic. Oh, and skeletons. I ended up pillared to sky limit (shorter then) and managed to figure which direction home was. So, I made a floating netherrack arrow pointing home (not much weaponry then, and I wasn't carrying arrows because inventory space)

I decided that having the portal come out in what I would eventually make into 'hell' was appropriate, so I built a short wall around my staircase-from-buried-portal, and I topped the wall with burning netherrack (hey, everything is AWESOME!!! when you've got a bag of hammers?). Spiders would climb over, catch fire, and jump on you (well, they couldn't set you on fire then)--this happened a lot.

Roosevelt decided that this Outpost had potential, and he reworked the outpost to be aesthetically pleasing and to have a dark backstory. Later, he added the I Wanna Be The Steve platformer game to it (it's hidden) using modly powers.

Some day, when I finish the sky (I'm at 75% or above, I reckon) I'll add as aesthetic a tavern to the center of Fiddler's Green as I can and consider the work done. The idea was--back before enchantments, potions, sprinting, or brightness settings, people'd have a natural in-game challenge traversing four hundred meters of monster-infested darkness with no wood sources, food, or (of course) light (and with (very) occasional traps before they could reach the Fiddler's Green Tavern and leave a token for bragging rights (and get some food for the return trip; food was insta-heal then.)

I don't see Mordor as a serious threat now, but it's still a fun playground (especially for those times when we've got a way to make nights super short (settime or addtime or the current if-50%-are-sleeping-morning-comes)), and what the heck, It's pleasant enough when I'm watching a movie.

Killing all the grass (grass doesn't fit the aesthetic) is the hard part. Otherwise I'd be done already.

With good enchanted armor, brightness cranked, and some potions, there's plenty to see. I've made some ruins and traps, and I know Meulieum, Roosevelt, and others have added some to the mix as well. I wonder if skeletal horses can be struck by lightning if they're under a water-topped cobble sky?

Hmm; I thought I had an album with our old maps already put together. I'll do that later. Instead, this album.
http://imgur.com/a/vB3Wo
Ah, incidentally, the server list says the map is running 7.10 and sometimes it won't let folks log on even if we have 8.0 selected. And sometimes it will. Just keep clicking. I figured this might use saying lest someone try once and give up.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Raudorn, will you keep improving the transport map?

I'd like to keep working on the map in the future. In fact, I want to have two maps. One as a layer over the geographical map, where all interesting places are noted and a proper looking metro map with railways, airplains, zeppelins and teleportation circles. Also the Nether/End. But at the moment I'm saturated with Minecraft, so that's nothing more than a future project.

Flumble wrote:I like the fact that the map isn't geographically correct. :)

Not even close. It's not planar, it's a hypergraph and don't even get me started on the Ginormous Tower which has two edges from the Upper Station to the Lower Station, only one of which works. Even worse, there is one innocently looking edge that has undefined behaviour. Yes, really.

Feylias wrote:Uglytree is a place I settled for a few days. I tried to make a huge majestic birch (and an under-ice base) and when I failed at aesthetics and was going to tear it down someone encouraged me not to. I only figured out I was a short hop to what I think is Rippy's(?) Lava-Moat Castle after I'd moved on.

I knew there was more to this place. So in actuality Uglytree is the railstation plus the Uglytree itself plus the structures on/under the frozen lake. I was confused because the only land access inbound to the Lava-Moat Castle is a underground "path" from Uglytree and of course the Lava-Moat Castle is not named. You see, people? This is what happens when you don't properly label things. You confuse the Royal Mapmaker. Also, sorry to Rippy(?), that I mislabeled your UFO building.

Again, please slap down some signs, people. The next unnamed project will be the Pink Fluffy Unicorn Castle and there's nothing you can do to stop me. Except, you know, signs.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:02 pm UTC

Roosevelt Airport is now connected to the Zeppelin Nexus.

I don't recommend pushing the "Bender Button" if you aren't expecting Bender.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:19 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Wow.

I am amazed. Also, I knew there were oodles of things I'd never seen in the huge and rich history of the map, but wow; I may have to go on walkabout again soon.

I intuit that this is a map for things that are accessible from rail or teleport, but not portal? I think. Should the Mordorside Doomed Mining Outpost (Well, naming rights belong to Roosevelt) be on it? Largely because I think the I Wanna Be The Steve (IWBTS) game in it is also worthy of note. ...oh yeah, there *is* a railway to the Fiddler's Green portal; it's part of Monkey's nether trolley system (or was that Jaho's?

Wait, the portal that used to go to the outpost basement now goes to a spot on a seashore in Mordor barely within viewing distance of the outpost walls.
I'll have to see if I can fix that portal. Tourists expecting a game that WILL kill you probably don't want to hike through dark hellscapes to get there? Heh.

After that, maybe I can get the Outpost, IWBTS, Mordor and Fiddler's Green in the Lonely XKCDcraftia guide.

Well, I dug a lot of the initial tunnels and did the initial setup of the nether rail station. It never really worked right though and I assume somebody went through and fixed a lot of the crap I got wrong. But there are some places only accessible by the nether rail network such as the bombing range and my nether fort/it's above ground nature reserve. There's also a tree farm.

It's weird to think. When I started, my castle was way the fuck out on the edge of the land. Now there's apparently a network of teleporting airships or something.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:00 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Well, I dug a lot of the initial tunnels and did the initial setup of the nether rail station. It never really worked right though and I assume somebody went through and fixed a lot of the crap I got wrong. But there are some places only accessible by the nether rail network such as the bombing range and my nether fort/it's above ground nature reserve. There's also a tree farm.
I think I did this? I spent a lot of time getting some of the rail lines in the nether and adding T-junctions, but you might be talking about a different part.

Did they ever change spawning behavior so the undead pig zombies or whatever can't spawn on the rails? That was the biggest flaw.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:28 am UTC

I got out of the LAVAHELLFUCKFORTRESS*, thanks to the guiding hands of Flumble y Magnanimous. Now I just have to relearn how to play the game, make a home, build a bed, get some resources, and, you know, craft things out of stuff I mined.

*who built this?**

**I hate you.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:48 am UTC

Hmm...maybe I should work on moving the server spawn to outside of that...
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Well, I dug a lot of the initial tunnels and did the initial setup of the nether rail station. It never really worked right though and I assume somebody went through and fixed a lot of the crap I got wrong. But there are some places only accessible by the nether rail network such as the bombing range and my nether fort/it's above ground nature reserve. There's also a tree farm.
I think I did this? I spent a lot of time getting some of the rail lines in the nether and adding T-junctions, but you might be talking about a different part.

Did they ever change spawning behavior so the undead pig zombies or whatever can't spawn on the rails? That was the biggest flaw.

Well I couldn't even get the cart dispenser to work... On the route out to my nether fortress I had it on a two high single block elevation so they couldn't jump on from the sides and I don't recall ever having a pigmen problem with that. And since that was the only route I ever took I dunno about the rest.

And yeah, I get the whole learn to play minecraft again. I get computer withdrawls from the mods. Everything sorted and in one place. The luxury of it. That and I logged on and I have no earthly clue where the hell I put all my tools at. Sure, I have like three stacks of diamond blocks and a chest full of tnt (completely legitimately acquired), but a pickaxe, apparently the fuck not.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:45 am UTC

It's ridiculous how much influence this game has on my diurnal cycle.

_infina_ wrote:Hmm...maybe I should work on moving the server spawn to outside of that...

While you're at it, you can also update the server to to 1.9. :D

[edit]
It's dead, Jim.
Does this mean you're in the process of updating, or is it simply crashed/unavailable from across the internet?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:It's ridiculous how much influence this game has on my diurnal cycle.

_infina_ wrote:Hmm...maybe I should work on moving the server spawn to outside of that...

While you're at it, you can also update the server to to 1.9. :D

[edit]
It's dead, Jim.
Does this mean you're in the process of updating, or is it simply crashed/unavailable from across the internet?

Also, it's not my fault.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:37 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:[edit]
It's dead, Jim.
Because this is the future which means all communication must be done by text on an image.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:54 pm UTC

*¿porque no los dos?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
It's dead, Jim.

<why not both.png>

Both would be far too convenient. :roll:

Also, I just found out that not having a roof on your base means that, of course, the rain falls all the way down to the floor.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:33 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
It's dead, Jim.

<why not both.png>

Both would be far too convenient. :roll:

Also, I just found out that not having a roof on your base means that, of course, the rain falls all the way down to the floor.

Move to a snow biome. It's actually quite pleasant. Especially when the tnt bomber is going. Which, honestly, was the best part about that duplication glitch.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:49 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Especially when the tnt bomber is going. Which, honestly, was the best part about that duplication glitch.
There's a new dupe glitch, though it's slower and I haven't used it; you find the border between permaloaded spawn chunks and non spawn chunks, set up a hopper clock (just two hoppers) and dump stuff in them. Something like that. A little slow for duping anything less valuable than diamond blocks.

Rain's not as loud, now. I still prefer to have a glass ceiling at sky limit. Pity making the glass ceiling tinted doesn't allow me to have a green-tinted Oz-iverse.

I've gotta test whether barrier blocks block rain. Hmm.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:11 pm UTC

I don't even notice rain anymore. I'm either underground, digging and tunneling for hours on end or I'm working on Black Forest, which has a rather weird environment anyway, because it's on a big landmass, that is entirely classified as Ocean biome. Means no friendly mobs spawn, ice and snow don't reform (because it rains) and the chunks are so old, I can't even find lapis underground.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Especially when the tnt bomber is going. Which, honestly, was the best part about that duplication glitch.
There's a new dupe glitch, though it's slower and I haven't used it; you find the border between permaloaded spawn chunks and non spawn chunks, set up a hopper clock (just two hoppers) and dump stuff in them. Something like that. A little slow for duping anything less valuable than diamond blocks.

Rain's not as loud, now. I still prefer to have a glass ceiling at sky limit. Pity making the glass ceiling tinted doesn't allow me to have a green-tinted Oz-iverse.

I've gotta test whether barrier blocks block rain. Hmm.

Yeah, that's also not very fun sounding as far as dupe glitches go.

And I'm sad that tinted glass doesn't do that.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:29 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:I don't even notice rain anymore. I'm either underground, digging and tunneling for hours on end or I'm working on Black Forest, which has a rather weird environment anyway, because it's on a big landmass, that is entirely classified as Ocean biome. Means no friendly mobs spawn, ice and snow don't reform (because it rains) and the chunks are so old, I can't even find lapis underground.

Well if there's anything the server map doesn't lack, it's ocean biome. That was a bad time in their land generation coding.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

The server seems to be down. Would someone check on it please.

Edit: Also, Skeletons don't seem to be spawning with occasional armor or enchanted bows since the upgrade to 1.8.9.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:24 pm UTC

While the topic of versions and server uptime is still in the air, some points I vaguely noted on my journey for the map:

• With 1.9, Pigmen will no longer spawn on rails. Without mobs blocking the way, the railway in the Nether is fully usable again, sans the cart summon, which has always been wonky.
  • That said, the Nether is a MESS. If it weren't for the rails (and the embassy and the farms), I'd vote to reset it and reopen the portals from the Overworld. Don't know how we can fix this, except with a map and copious amounts of signs.
  • I really appreciate _infina_'s work in keeping a server up. If there's anything I/we can do to help, let us know. I wouldn't even mind sending some currency around.
  • Also, is there a way to get a recent version of the map? Maybe a torrent every [timespan]?
  • Currently ALL mob farms I encountered are broken in some way. That includes Skeleton, Creeper, Zombie, Golem, Blaze, Enderman and Pigman drops. Some farms still work, but not at the capacity they were designed for. The best working is the Enderman farm, but that might change with 1.9 dramatically. If anyone knows how to fix them, I'd sport materials.
  • With 1.9 the End got a big overhaul. While we don't need to reset the End entirely, summoning the Ender Dragon now (for portals to the new islands) could mean destroying the End spawn tower. The farm might be safe, as it sufficiently far away from the mainland. Sooo... Anyone got ideas or do we just hope that the Tower will mostly survive?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:While the topic of versions and server uptime is still in the air, some points I vaguely noted on my journey for the map:

• With 1.9, Pigmen will no longer spawn on rails. Without mobs blocking the way, the railway in the Nether is fully usable again, sans the cart summon, which has always been wonky.
  • That said, the Nether is a MESS. If it weren't for the rails (and the embassy and the farms), I'd vote to reset it and reopen the portals from the Overworld. Don't know how we can fix this, except with a map and copious amounts of signs.
  • I really appreciate _infina_'s work in keeping a server up. If there's anything I/we can do to help, let us know. I wouldn't even mind sending some currency around.
  • Also, is there a way to get a recent version of the map? Maybe a torrent every [timespan]?
  • Currently ALL mob farms I encountered are broken in some way. That includes Skeleton, Creeper, Zombie, Golem, Blaze, Enderman and Pigman drops. Some farms still work, but not at the capacity they were designed for. The best working is the Enderman farm, but that might change with 1.9 dramatically. If anyone knows how to fix them, I'd sport materials.
  • With 1.9 the End got a big overhaul. While we don't need to reset the End entirely, summoning the Ender Dragon now (for portals to the new islands) could mean destroying the End spawn tower. The farm might be safe, as it sufficiently far away from the mainland. Sooo... Anyone got ideas or do we just hope that the Tower will mostly survive?

We could probably do more signage for the nether portals, also maybe do some sort of block line path between important locations.

Does the summoning actually have to take place in a specific location?

As for the farms, probably best to see what 1.9 does and then maybe just tear them down and build new max efficiency ones. Which I'd be willing to help with as I've been wanting to learn more redstone and building type stuff like that.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:While the topic of versions and server uptime is still in the air, some points I vaguely noted on my journey for the map:

Not sure what mess you are seeing in the nether, perhaps that is just in spawn area. Out by Pandora it seems fine.

Similar for the mob farms, they seem to be working pretty much the same here. The Pigman farm I fixed yesterday (it had been on my to do list for a long time)- it was only broke because someone had gummed up the drop chute with clay blocks.

For the End, I suggest just rebuilding the bridge to the Enderman farm with obsidian. The farm itself is 300 blocks out, so should be safe. Other structures at the main island will al be destroyed by the Dragon so no point in worrying about them other than saving any chest contents elsewhere.

Return to “Gaming”