Oblivion

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Matthias

Oblivion

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:29 am UTC

I'm surprised not to find a topic about it. Ergo, I wouldn't be surprised at all if my search-bar skills fail me once more.

Anyway, what is your opinion on Oblivion? I've played it a bit (Mm... eight hours or so? Give or take?). Personally, I prefer Morrowind. Don't get me wrong, Oblivion has its strong points; retrieving arrows from the environment, amazing graphics, no f*cking cliff racers, etc. etc.

However, when you compare it to Morrowind, it seems like they mostly took things out instead of adding things in. No levitation, no enchanting, no spears, no unarmored, no Bal Molagmer. I still haven't found any sort of guide to just who in the hell the Nine Divines are, and there were Daedra books all over the place in Morrowind. The locales aren't as varied as the ones in Vvardenfell, either. Over on the island, you had dust storms, the canal city of Vivec, Dwemer ruins, a city of mushrooms(!), and villages built entirely out of giant bones. Oblivion? Not so much; most of your enemies on the overworld, in fact, are very prosaic and homely as well. Wolves, deer, what have you. You get the occasional undead, and your Scamp fix in the Oblivion gates, but it's just not the same.

I'm sure I don't need to even mention the mini-games, or the storyline for those of you who've played through it (I haven't, but a friend of mine told me how it turns out. Makes me wish the side quests were more compelling.)

Now, when it's not compared to the game that came before it, Oblivion is pretty amazing. A truly lush overworld, compelling (if a bit linear) dungeons in the form of Oblivion Gates, plenty of side-quests for you to shake a stick at; it's good stuff. But honestly? Playing Oblivion just makes me want to break out Morrowind again.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

VannA
White

Re: Oblivion

Postby VannA » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Oblivion gates get *very* *very* Boring.

Its not a bad game, but outside of graphics, Morrowind was superior in almost every way.

I also found Shimmering Isles aggravating in the extreme.

Also, the fact that cities were seperate zones, and not accessible otherwise. The lack of flying was solely to make the Oblivion Gates non-trivial. Bah.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:57 am UTC

VannA wrote:The lack of flying was solely to make the Oblivion Gates non-trivial. Bah.

The sad thing being that even a modest skill in illusion and/or a reasonably high speed makes them ludicrously easy anyway.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:13 am UTC

You could use alteration buffs as well (that's what I did, +agi to jump wherever you want.).

As much as the main quest was mostly annoying, and many of the sidequests were typical RPG 'go here fetch this come back', there are plenty of good points, like the Guild quests, especially the Dark Brotherhood line. And there are mods that fix all of the glaring problems (except that I still hate Oblivion Gates).

The Unique landscapes mods definitely do a lot to improve the variety of environments, various leveling overhauls fix the crazy-ass leveling (crazy ass-leveling) (and most of them add some cool quest lines too), Martigens Monsters adds whatever monsters you want.

However, a game shouldn't have to depend on mods to stand up on it's own two feet. Unmodded, Morrowind is way better.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Enssel

Postby Enssel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Oblivion was a good time, but I wouldn't have paid $50 if I'd known what it was. Doubtless, the first few hours are brilliant, and some things - riding across the country at night struggling to reach a town so you can drink blood before sunrise, or the first time you visit... Temple Keep? Sky Keep? - are absolutely epic. The Dark Brotherhood questline is also fantastic, far beyond the main plot; I wish it were longer.

The game definitely has tons of flaws, though. The fighter and mage guild quests, nand the main ones, really boil down to "go to this cave, kill monsters, come back." The skill balance is extremely questionable - what is the deal with lockpicking? A trivial shrine quest gives you the skeleton key, which renders it completely useless? Gear itemization? What?

Bugs in the AI also wear thin, and playing as a mage is much much harder than a warrior or thief. It's a little rubbish that stealing doesn't scale up - the silver plates you're stealing as a neophyte are the same oens you'll be stealing as a master, and they don't even respawn! Not that it matters, stealing is stupid once your sneak skill is high enough that you can walk right in front of people unnoticed.

blaargh!

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

I never played Morrowind, so Oblivion is the first Elder Scrolls game I've ever tried. I can see what people are saying about the quests being pretty straigh-forward, but even so, the game's had me hooked for over a year, so it can't be that bad. I'd love an unarmoured skill, I'd use that with hand-to-hand and make my character rock-hard, but there are shield spells that I guess can achieve (sp?) similar things. And the mods that can be found definately add a lot to the game.

BTW, I'd heard that there was no flying/levitation because the towns were in difference cells so it would look rather strange to hover over them, and wouldn't really work if you tried to land in one.
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

theonemephisto

Postby theonemephisto » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

After I found and played through the Dark Brotherhood quest line the rest of the game got boring and I quit.

But man, those dark brotherhood quests were freaking amazing. Make a whole game out of that please.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:51 am UTC

theonemephisto wrote:After I found and played through the Dark Brotherhood quest line the rest of the game got boring and I quit.

But man, those dark brotherhood quests were freaking amazing. Make a whole game out of that please.

apparently, the team responsible is in charge of Fallout 3, I can't wait.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:33 am UTC

Matthias wrote:The locales aren't as varied as the ones in Vvardenfell, either. Over on the island, you had dust storms, the canal city of Vivec, Dwemer ruins, a city of mushrooms(!), and villages built entirely out of giant bones. Oblivion? Not so much; most of your enemies on the overworld, in fact, are very prosaic and homely as well. Wolves, deer, what have you. You get the occasional undead, and your Scamp fix in the Oblivion gates, but it's just not the same.

Yeah Morrowind is hell of more exotic.

Kag wrote:The sad thing being that even a modest skill in illusion and/or a reasonably high speed makes them ludicrously easy anyway.

Seriously if I get sick of fighting those chodes I just run past them. It's like it completely fucks with their protocol or whatever. Like they cast shield on themselves or summon something, and by the time they're done doing that I've already ran past them. They're all like "Hell yes, I'm all pumped up to kick the shit out of you, surface hawg-- hey where are you goin?".

Enssel wrote:The game definitely has tons of flaws, though. The fighter and mage guild quests, nand the main ones, really boil down to "go to this cave, kill monsters, come back."

Don't forget: Look around for the rude loot (that is conveniently more often in chests than hidden behind some coffin trough like in the last one.)

Enssel wrote:The skill balance is extremely questionable - what is the deal with lockpicking? A trivial shrine quest gives you the skeleton key, which renders it completely useless? Gear itemization? What?

Heh. Good times.

Enssel wrote:Bugs in the AI also wear thin, and playing as a mage is much much harder than a warrior or thief.

See, what I do is make my class wizard, and then level up strength or endurance or speed skills 9 times each, and then level up my main skills by Altering myself or just making hell of alchemies. That way I level up when I'm good & ready and always get +5's. It's hard as hell at first but after a while I start mad mowin'.

Enssel wrote:blaargh!

HRMM NOWM GRM NARM!
хлэб и Воля

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

Benitosimies wrote:See, what I do is make my class wizard, and then level up strength or endurance or speed skills 9 times each, and then level up my main skills by Altering myself or just making hell of alchemies. That way I level up when I'm good & ready and always get +5's. It's hard as hell at first but after a while I start mad mowin'.

Easiest way to play unmodded Oblivion: Choose a class with skills you'll never level.
Level everything else.
You now have the abilities of a high-level character but still count as level 1, so all NPCS are balanced for level 1.

Then when you early on get two indestructible NPCs following you just do every side quest in the game while they do the work, then go back to the main plot.

I enjoyed Oblivion, but only after I modded the **** out of it so I didn't have to choose between an aggravating game and a trivial game.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

I played a fair amount of it. I mostly remember having a blast completing the thieve's guild quests. I lost my save file soon after and I just couldn't bring myself to play through again. The difficulty is weird. I used a bow from the very start and later, on even with continual upgrades, I couldn't kill anything with the damn thing. I ended up just using a sword.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:The difficulty is weird.

It's because when you level up, so does everyone else in the world. This mechanic means you never get a sense of progress and becoming more powerful, and you can have a bandit wearing millions worth of top end gear demand 5 gold from you.

And if you level without getting shiny new gear you quickly become unable to kill anything.

Hence the lots of mods to fix the NPC leveling mechanics, which I didn't like.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

I can see why. It was frustrating when I stole a bow (ivory?) early in the game that was twice as good as what was showing up elsewhere and it still took forever to kill things.

Enssel

Postby Enssel » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:44 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
theonemephisto wrote:After I found and played through the Dark Brotherhood quest line the rest of the game got boring and I quit.

apparently, the team responsible is in charge of Fallout 3, I can't wait.
That sounds cool in principle, but the Dark Brotherhood quests were also rather tightly scripted to rode along on a rail, which is uhh not something I want to see in FO3. :?

I liked the idea of OOO's changing mob leveling, but when I tried it at least it just wasn't polished enough to gel with the game. The end part became impossible, and to be honest I enjoyed the occasional bandit actually being a challenge. It should have given monsters some sort of "relative level" so that when you start bandits are rough, but as you level up they become easier relative to you, but never trivial. Maybe they did and it was just too loose for me.

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:42 am UTC

I really enjoyed Oblivion, overall.

I hated the leveling system, for sure. If Fallout 3 has that, I'll cry.

A previous poster said swords > magic... and another, that swords > bows. While this might be true at its most basic, the game can totally be played with any of them. The problem I have is that if you don't know what you're doing, the game is unbelievably hard... and once you do know what you're doing, the game is absurdly easy. Two weakness to magic 100% spells + Drain Life 100 for 1 second, and you can kill anything. High Absorb Health on your weapon and Azura's Star, and you can kill anything.

I liked the graphics, I liked the tone much of the time, I liked most of the random mini-quests. I didn't buy any expansions, I just moved on. Overall, it blew my mind when I first got it, and since then I've sunk at least a couple hundred hours into it, so it's hard to say I don't think it's a good game. But, I agree, its flaws can be glaring.

Notch

Postby Notch » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:24 am UTC

The first character I played in oblivion was a roleplayed ranger who mistrusted magic and gods and tried to stay as far away from them as possible. I just ran around, doing whatever I imagined my character would want to do (yes, I stayed in inns and paid for the rooms, I even bought some meals until that got too annoying), always intending to do that main quest thing "any day now". All of the sudden, I had some 80+ hours of playtime without even having started the main quest (beyond rescuing kvatch, by accident), and I had a total blast. Amazing fun, despite huuuuge flaws.

My second character was a power played wizard, I abused all the little exploits I had figured out to get insane heaps of money and skills, becoming head of the wizards guild in no time (which was my goal). When I stopped playing him, I was about halfway to getting 100% permanent chameleon, and the game was less fun than ever.

Somewhere in between those two, I beat the main quest with some female swordsman of some kind, but it was mostly a haze of insanely boring oblivion gates (if you 'take' the sigil stone a quickly several times while the world is fading out, you can get multiple copies!) and trying to avoid leveling up.
God I hate games that adjust the difficulty to your character level, making leveling up totally pointless. (FF8, I'm looking at you)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:51 am UTC

VannA wrote:Also, the fact that cities were seperate zones, and not accessible otherwise. The lack of flying was solely to make the Oblivion Gates non-trivial. Bah.
I'll believe Beth when they claim that flying was taken out because the cities had to be separate zones. Now, why they didn't make zone borders instead of just having teleporting doors...

theonemephisto wrote:But man, those dark brotherhood quests were freaking amazing. Make a whole game out of that please.
Thief? Hitman?

Morrowind was better than Oblivion only because it was exotic. Every exploit in Oblivion? It was in Morrowind too, or there was a worse one (everyone complaining about the lack of flying, how many enemies in Morrowind had ranged attacks?). Both games give you as much freedom as they can, with the result that broken power is an option. The games are really not for people who play games to win, which is a problem for people who play games to win (several of the times I've approached the game I've ended up killing my fun, only to go back later and enjoy it).

My gripe with the games, though, is that they don't really have much replay value. Sure, the world is wide- but it's also shallow. The side quests generally have only one resolution (well, really, two- you complete it or you don't), and you can't really explore the same place too many times. The first time you go through Vivec, it's awesome; the second time, you know where most of the things are and just find the stuff hidden away in nooks and crannies; the third time, you know where most things are. Once you've completed a side quest in one game, the only real reason to complete it in another game is to get the reward.

That said, Morrowind certainly felt like it had more replay value. I think that was because the power groups were actually in competition (you could only be in one of the three Houses), progressing in the guilds actually required skills (while you could have a char who leveled up all skills, it was easier to make different chars with different major skills), and the locales just inspired more nostalgia (I feel better walking into Balmora; the Imperial City does nothing for me).

I'll also complain about the implementation of leveled creatures, because of the way Oblivion does leveling. There were a lot of people who picked the Thief class (or whatever the Beth-made preset is) and then realized that the game was pretty much unbeatable, because all of the leveling up that they did while stealing made the wilderness harder, not easier. It annoyed me that my melee char was always challenged by bandits, and that loot varied so much between different places- Oblivion Gates were useful only for the enchanting stones, bandits were the source of decent gear (why the hell is it easier to get Daedra armor off someone who needs to accost people for their change than it is get it off Daedra? I vastly preferred Morrowind's system, where there 1 or 2 pieces of each part of the Daedric armor set, period, instead of it being relatively easy to procure) and the Ayleid Ruins were only really useful for getting cool decorations out of.

Which leads me to another thing- the difficulty of decorating your home. In Morrowind, you could stack things fairly easily- here, you get to rotate stuff, but the physics engine is such that nearly any setup collapses, and a single mistake can obliterate carefully stacked things.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

Notch wrote:God I hate games that adjust the difficulty to your character level, making leveling up totally pointless. (FF8, I'm looking at you)

I found tat leveling up has some major uses when it comes to alchemy. It's almost impossible to find any of the equipment above Apprentice until you're at least level 10, and before my computer went a bit crazy and I lost my main character, I'd built him up to be a master of alchemy, giving me nifty little poisons that did around 7 points of fire damage for 35 seconds, 9 points of helth damage for 40 odd seconds and paralysed the victim for about 3 seconds just to rub salt in the wound. Coupling that with a powerfully enchanted weapon (say, a bow with 100% weekness to shock damage and 30 points of shock damage for 5 seconds, and a nasty little arrow, like and arrow of the Northern Winds, or whatever it's called) and the ability to turn yourself invisible for a few seconds meant I could shoot someone once, hide and just watch them die. Yes, I'm probably going to hell, but it always put a smile on my face when I could do that to something that looked rather powerful :twisted:
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

Am I the only one on the planet who actually liked the level scaling? Like some people here, I love Morrowind 100 times more but If I had to choose between the two I would play Oblivion more. Now provided I've only gotten to level 14 as a hack n' slash warrior (might have an impact on my opinion so far) but the level thing is almost unnoticeable untill past level 6.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

I am happy to see the wise folks here at XKCD agree with me that Morrowind was a much better game. Levitate rocked. No uncrossable barriers at all in morrowind. You could even fly over ghostgate ;) The enemies didn't level with you making most of the experience actually counter-productive and you actually felt strong by the end and not some schmuck barely able to take on 2 guards at once like in oblivion. Oblivion was prettier of course (although morrowind was an amazing looking game for it's day and with mods, it still looks good by today's standards) but it just wasn't immersive like morrowind was.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:20 am UTC

Funnily enough I have played both games (I don't play video games much).

I played Morrowind as it only cost $8, and -yay- was a game our video card could supprt (barely, reset at times). I liked it, it seemed very 'real', I mean I would get shit scared running through the wild at night raining, and then forgetting the speakers were up loud, I mean, shit. It was just cool getting to level up things I liked, I didn't like the lack of variety of items you could purchase though, and having to exploit parts of the game.

I rented out a PS3, with Oblivion with a friend a few months back, we played for about 36 hours straight, amazing graphics. We made our character, then worked on beating the arena, which I managed to do, then we became a vampire and that was a huge pain in the ass. Then he joined the dark brotherhood and we did some quests, which too was fun. Then we took it back to the video store.

Maybe we shouldn't be comparing these two games, even if they are in the same series, they are quite different, each has flaws, and certain things appeal to certain people.

tl,dr: Meh.
=]

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

mosc wrote:The enemies didn't level with you making most of the experience actually counter-productive

Yah, but in Morrowind by the time you're level 25 you can kill EVERYTHING.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

I played through a bit of it but then I got bored. It really wasn't anything new from Morrowind and I just found it less engaging.

Yah, but in Morrowind by the time you're level 25 you can kill EVERYTHING.

Very true, unless you get mods. I don't really like either game without mods all that much. They're decent, but not amazing.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

I liked the mods, in fact I can't play morrowind without them anymore. Some mods just add enemies, harder ones yes but nothing a level 30+ can't handle.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:20 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Yah, but in Morrowind by the time you're level 25 you can kill EVERYTHING.

Agreed. I got all the way to Dagoth Ur thinking "This guy has GOT to be harder than the incredible number of Ascended Sleepers and Ash Vampires I've had to kill getting to him" and then it took me two hits to kill him in the outer chamber, and about four in the inner chamber once I took out the Heart thingy. I was like, "that's it?" There wasn't even anything good on his corpse!

/angry ranting

However, I haven't actually played Oblivion, so I can't comment on how climactic/not the plotline of that was.

Edited for faulty quoting.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

I personally like Oblivion better. Morrowind was great, but very inconvenient. I hated trying to hit something over and over again only to miss every single time, and while the locals were "exotic" 90% of the game was spent in the bleak gray wilderness where things were so depressing I wanted to kill myself (not literally of course).

While the world leveling up with you is annoying at times, it is far better than being at level 25 or so and having no challenge whatsoever (I have the xbox version, so no mods). It would be better in Oblivion if rather than having everything level up with you each area was + or - your level or minimum and maximum levels set for different spots, that way you can still have the challenging parts without having to run for your life all the time or waltz through the world untouched by anything.

If Morrowind was less dark and depressing, and had a bit of randomization and had challenges for higher levels I would agree with you guys, but for the xbox versions I have to say that Oblivion is a bit better.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 am UTC

saxything43 wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Yah, but in Morrowind by the time you're level 25 you can kill EVERYTHING.

Agreed. I got all the way to Dagoth Ur thinking "This guy has GOT to be harder than the incredible number of Ascended Sleepers and Ash Vampires I've had to kill getting to him" and then it took me two hits to kill him in the outer chamber, and about four in the inner chamber once I took out the Heart thingy. I was like, "that's it?" There wasn't even anything good on his corpse!

/angry ranting

That's basically the same as Mankar Camoran. Except you kill his buddies first so you don't miss the loots. And it takes like 4 seconds.
хлэб и Воля

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I personally like Oblivion better. Morrowind was great, but very inconvenient. I hated trying to hit something over and over again only to miss every single time, and while the locals were "exotic" 90% of the game was spent in the bleak gray wilderness where things were so depressing I wanted to kill myself (not literally of course).

While the world leveling up with you is annoying at times, it is far better than being at level 25 or so and having no challenge whatsoever (I have the xbox version, so no mods). It would be better in Oblivion if rather than having everything level up with you each area was + or - your level or minimum and maximum levels set for different spots, that way you can still have the challenging parts without having to run for your life all the time or waltz through the world untouched by anything.

If Morrowind was less dark and depressing, and had a bit of randomization and had challenges for higher levels I would agree with you guys, but for the xbox versions I have to say that Oblivion is a bit better.

While I do agree Oblivion was better than Morrowind, my heart still goes to morrowind. Just like how I can say I think WoW is better than Guild Wars. But you don't see 1200 hours on my Xfire going to WoW (course, someone didn't like my xfire therefore removed it completely. So noone sees anything.)

Sunsnail

Postby Sunsnail » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

The Dark Brotherhood quest was one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

Spoiler:
it made me cry when the dude died

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'd love to point out the irony of that, but it got me too - he didn't deserve that fate :cry:
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:23 am UTC

Both of the games have the flaw that they can be "won" incredibly easily. For a while, you have to pinch your pennies- but then you discover the Mudcrab Merchant or the Scamp and your money troubles disappear (this can also happen without resorting to either of those, but it takes quite a bit longer). When I realized that my mage was better off using a staff that he paid someone to enchant that casting his own spells, the game became a lot less fun- I no longer had to worry about casting times, and with a correctly designed staff and Azura's Star, would never have to rest (instead of running out of mana). When I realized that I could grind healing potions (because people sold the ingredients with an infinite stock) and make an enormous amount of money and level as much as I wanted, the game became a lot less fun. Once I realized that 100% chameleon meant you could do whatever you wanted, the game became a lot less fun.

I think that a balance could be struck between the "you're a god reborn" of Morrowind and the "bandits have a good chance of killing you" of Oblivion, and hope that TESV has that. But of the two, I vastly prefer the first. I would rather be rewarded too much for my training than too little.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:58 am UTC

I think if these games were multi-player, or however the kids play the games these days, then that would be awesome, so awesome it would make you go green from smiling. (post written by someone who only prefers multiplayers, and hardly ever plays anything)
=]

Enssel

Postby Enssel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

I don't think the combat is deep enough to make it a good multiplayer game :/

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't think multiplayer would work well at all.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

I don't either. It would completely change the focus of the game. I don't think you could have too many human players without seriously changing the game world.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

Well, there were multiplayer mods, using tons of hooks and special extraneous software (well, only one program, but, bleh). It wasn't really full multiplayer because all they did was spawn and NPC that was scripted to be where the other player was, but I guess it could at the very least, give you a sense of what multiplayer would be like. I've never bothered to try them because I didn't have anyone willing to test them out XD.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Sorry, by multiplayer I meant a co-operative mode, as in you and one other person on one console, running around together, would be very cool. :D
=]

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:47 am UTC

I've played both, and have over 200 hours invested in Oblivion; twice that in Morrowind. They both have their strong points and flaws, but I really enjoy playing them both. There's nothing like trying to find a place to transform into a werewolf in Morrowind. In Oblivion I created a spell that is paralyze for 10 sec on self. It's fun to cast it on a rooftop then watch your character raise their hand and fall over the edge.

Edit: I thought we could share our favorite character's stats. Here's mine...
Spoiler:
Name: Telvanis
Class: Ninja
Level: 40
HP: 316
MP: 160
STR: 143
INT: 80
WILL: 68
AGI: 100
SPD: 78
END: 68
PER: 87
LCK: 65
Fame: 122
Infamy: 74
Days Jailed: 5
Items Stolen: 2704
Diseases Contracted: 14
Nirnroots Found: 49

Melee Weapon: Mehrune's Razor
Ranged: Bow of Winter 19 dmg + 20 frost dmg
Arrows: Arrow of the North Winds 7 dmg + 60 frost dmg in 10ft radius. (200 of them)
Last edited by Col. Mustard on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:54 am UTC

Tip: Don't put off doing the main quest until you're level 20+. There are some parts in particular that will make you tear your hair out if you wait too long because they become unfucking-ridiculously hard. In particular, the destroyed town that occurs almost right away, if you wait too long to clear it out and actually enter the castle, you end up seeing atronachs everywhere.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 am UTC

Anpheus wrote:Tip: Don't put off doing the main quest until you're level 20+. There are some parts in particular that will make you tear your hair out if you wait too long because they become unfucking-ridiculously hard. In particular, the destroyed town that occurs almost right away, if you wait too long to clear it out and actually enter the castle, you end up seeing atronachs everywhere.

Run past 'em. :)
хлэб и Воля

Return to “Gaming”