1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

8 color world

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm UTC

Molpixels?
That reminds me

Redundant
Spoiler:
molpixels.png
molpixels.png
molpixels.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 10637 times

ETA: I'm pope. I didn't expect this.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed May 25, 2016 5:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Pumpkin Soup ready for Lunchtime"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 24, 2016 10:47 pm UTC

I reused molpixel as soon as it was mentioned, to help this future along.
BlitzGirl wrote:You made a Chemo Man? I thought you were a Chemo Man!
*imagines a bunch of ED clones molpying about*
Chemo Man, by Chemo Man!
Not sure what to think of ED clones. Steambottlish, maybe.

Have another! https://youtu.be/ZK5uv-M_c3k 16 "Angel"
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed May 25, 2016 5:27 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

svenman

Re: 1190: "Pumpkin Soup ready for Lunchtime"

Postby svenman » Wed May 25, 2016 11:23 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I reused molpixel as soon as it was mentioned, to help this future along.

Thanks molpishly, ED! I suspected as much. And neatly, I'm able to return the compliment in a certain way... you don't even have to follow the first commandment for longer than it takes to read the next part of this post.

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

New OTTercomic:

Title text: Another protip: If you don't have access to a neural network, you can instead train your Swype leopard by using it to post on the OTT for a few wips and then hand your MTA to a chimpmolpy to produce some very similar output. No guarantees, though, that the chimpmolpy won't first manage either to smash your MTA or figure out how to use up all your credit with an international call to his old friends and family in Equatorial Guinea.

NOTTworkingly redundant
Spoiler:
(Both screenshots taken unmodified from this post, second spoiler.)

xkcd1685_neural_network.png
xkcd1685_neural_network.png (47.13 KiB) Viewed 10468 times
xkcd1685_redundant.png
xkcd1685_redundant.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 10468 times

For decree: Is it okay if instead of hunting molpixels, I'm trying to determine double-thingy poem forms?

(Non-redundant spoiler hides seaish philological ramblings; if you choose to open it, you might want to have a reference on poetic feet handy.)
Spoiler:
  • We've been having double-dactyls for a long time.
  • Mikrit introduced the double-trochee here by replacing the dactyls ("DUM da da") with trochees ("DUM da").
  • According to an anonymous edit in the One True Wiki, which appears to have been by thunk, xe took direct inspiration from this to come up with the double-iamb here, swapping the double-trochee's trochees for iambs ("da DUM") and the cretic ("DUM da DUM") in the double-trochee's last line of each quatrain with an amphibrach ("da DUM da"). (Alternatively, you can analyze the first three lines of each quatrain as consisting of one ditrochee - "DUM da DUM da" - and one diiamb - "da DUM da DUM" - each, respectively.)
  • Next thing you know, xe comes up with this poem in an unnamed form. Looks like a double-dactyl at first sight, but closer inspection shows that instead of dactyls, it has amphibrachs and the last line of each quatrain ("da DUM da da DUM") is composed of an amphibrach and a iamb instead of one choriamb ("DUM da da DUM") as in a double-dactyl. Fine, we can derive the name of this poem form systematically and call it a "double-amphibrach".
  • But then we get this. Starts out with a fine and molpish double-dactyl, but the one after the "EDIT"? Here it appears that some dactyls just get replaced with amphibrachs in an irregular pattern (leaving the stress ambiguous in parts - SQL query fragments have no clear prosody for me). The poem's self-referential nature makes it clear that this is intentional, but I'm left in a bit of a ch*rp for how to wikify it. I'll probably call it a dip and just categorize it as "Mixed" under the "[Double-Dactyl-]Derived Forms" supercategory.
Prediction: At this rate, we'll soon see double-anapests (last line of each quatrain probably a tertius paeon) and more complex double-thingies, eventually leading to double-free-form poems.

Oh wait... only after writing all the stuff above, I'm seeing now that double amphibrachs are actually a recognized thing? Well, don't I feel like a silly molpy now... again.

Edit: Huh, I wonder what will happen first: the OTT reaching 100,000 posts or the entire xkcd forums reaching 4 million. It'd be baobabish if we managed to reach both milestones with the same post - for that, though, more than every third forum post until then would have to be in the OTT. Better not. So yeah, 4 million forum posts first, most likely.

Edit 2: That actually is true only if you go by the forum software's post id (which is somewhere in the 3989650s or ...660s as I am writing this, while the OTT is shown as containing exactly 99444 posts). It looks a little more manageable when going by the forum statistics displayed on the bottom of the board index page (Total posts 3869920 - though that number went up by seven within a timespan of a few minutes already). Still would mean about every sixth forum post having to be in the OTT, still seems like a bad idea to make an effort to achieve this. [Edit 4: Scratch that. Arithemhtic is hard. But nevertheless, the four millionth forums post by forum statistics would probably be hard to determine, and even harder to verify after the fact.] (The discrepancy probably comes from deleted posts, and I guess also from posts in some subforums not contributing to the total forum post count just as they are known not to contribute to the personal post count.)

Edit 3:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
svenman wrote:hi there! How's the future? Pretty cool, I hear?

Hi there, past svenman! I'm then-future-me. How was your past?

Had completely forgOTTen to reply to this. Hi, then-future-but-now-also-past Neil_Boekend! My past, as I recall, was pretty molpish, although tinged with a certain amount of procrastination (which, however, resulted in an ottercomic, just as todip... again). But I think you may have been cheating a little: I am fairly certain that in the then-when of that past-future in which your post cited above was written, the OTTtsford Molpish Dictionary entry for 'molpixel' did not yet exist. :wink:
Last edited by svenman on Sat May 28, 2016 8:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

thunk

36: Forks of the Mystic

Postby thunk » Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

This is the riverish horsemolpy update, of course.

Pages read: 1570/2487 (63.13%)
Dips taken: 30.47 (one mip and a dip, pretty much)

Spoiler:
So...uh... there was a lot of stuff in the last forty pages. I'll respond to what I can.

"IKEA or death?" Well, the cinnamon rolls and lingonsylt are good, but I wouldn't go there for all my shopping needs. Plenty of ASHF in my home though.

ChronosDragon wrote:I wonder how many times Randall will bring up the fact that he has an asteroid named after him?

Probably a few more. Only in that one comic so far, it seems though.

I know several people who have had asteroids named after them--that was one of the prizes in the Intel Science Talent Search.

There is discussion of how many tabs everymolpy has open. There are exactly 10 right now on my lakeish time accessor, and a smaller amount on the seaish one. I never understood the point of having 50+ tabs open. It took me a long time to graduate from one...

I also approve of BG alt-texting redundakitties. Those who can't see them for whatever reason can still gain +1 redundant redundancy.

The expando business seems kind of silly (well, a bit more silly than the entire rest of the thread.) I must have glazed over that part of the OTT when reading.

Laura Mae possibly wrote:We all showed up at a cabin in a forest where there was three feet of snow and the newpix of the OTC were recreated using Christmas lights of all colors.

A few nights ago, I dreamt I was in the OTC universe, standing on the Indiana Dunes looking northwest. The skyscrapers of Chicago were barely standing, but all else had returned the city to the swamp which it originally was. Just then, a building collapsed and some debris came out.
200 years ago, my vicinity was just prairie and trees. Not too much later, the last of our lights will finally be extinguished, and this place will look somewhat like this again (with excess bits of plastic).

There's so much of Timeworld that has yet to be explored by fan-sequels, that I feel it's time to get writing.

It seems like it's not just me, but plenty of other blitzers who are non-binary. Good for them! Sadly, I don't think they ever finished. :(
And purplepants should keep wearing cool socks. They're colourful regardless of the mental state of the person who wears them.
The walls of (cis)sexism ought to be torn down brick by brick. Every little bit helps.

*cue cheerful theme music*

somemolpy wrote:My little otter—waiting is magic.

It's an okay show. I got a mite too obsessed with it once though, sadly. Though to be fair, it--like this current blitz--is a distraction from the many worse problems and despair in my life.
Like Darth Vader though, I'm more likely to go onto Mindat these day and select a new character.
Though actually no, I'm not that obsessed.

Vital Hotdog Function makes its appearance in the geological record here. Come to think of it, half of my signpost titles could be VHF track names.

Neil_Boekend comes back with...what are those... brain slugs! Seems like everyone's been infected. It's the END OF DIPS!
I'm staying well clear. I don't need safety, kthxbai. Lest they force me to wire all my money to the Brain Slug Planet.
Thankfully, they go gray on clocks. Which leads me to be wary of slug-raptor interactions.

ZoomanSP wrote:So by the principles of osmosis, the spirits from his brainslug are transferred to him, and he actually feels better with it.

That explains a bit more.

taixzo wrote:EXTERMINATE!

In related news, the BBC front page yesterday had something about the Steelers using robotic "Daleks" as training aids. While that would be awesomeful, the reality is far more mundane, it seems.

AluisioASG wrote:I predict no one will be here by TIME's first birthday.

Prediction thankfully busted.

svenman wrote:According to an anonymous edit in the One True Wiki, which appears to have been by thunk...

Correct. Sorry for making your life difficult...double-whatevers are fun.

Now, I will return to commanding ever-larger armies of relativistic molpies, and so back to the past.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Yoghurt Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm UTC

There's now an IKEA about a third of a longpix's travel in a carcastle from my home. It wasn't there back when ASHF was added to SB. Neither were several other shops.

Baobabs, svenman!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed May 25, 2016 10:15 pm UTC

I couldn't resist, so I made an OTTification of some music:

Beanish

Based on "Stonehenge" by Ylvis (those fox guys).

My life is very molpish
I’ve got everything an OTTer ever needs
Got some buffygirl-made headwear
And I’m even featured in AotC.
And I know I should be happy, but instead
There's a question Randall got into my head

Spoiler:
What’s the meaning of Beanish?
It’s killing me that no molp knows
Why it was made three tender yips ago.
Why did Randall make Beanish?
How could he draw those symbols fine
With little knowledge of phonology?
(us OTTers say...)

When I make some witty comics
OTTify and write neat verses
I’m the mome!
You xuys applaud me in the replies
When I tell you all these thoughts are but my own.
And in the long wipend I reach 100 posts
Y’all smile at me
Then I go and say “balls!”

But all I think of is Beanish
In dreams after I molpy down
The strangest tongue that ever makes no sound
What’s the purpose of Beanish?
A joke that GLR once made
Or a way to take notes during the fifth grade?

Beanish! Beanish! Lots of shapes in a row!
There are 13 base glyphs with accents and lines
But amazingly he got it all written in Time!
And he drew it (Beanish!)
And he scanned it (Beanish!)
And he posted it, one phrase each newpix!
Hey (one phrase each newpix!)
What’s the deal with Beanish? (Oh, what's the deal, what's the deal, what's the deal)
You should have left a tiny hint
When you made these ch*rping hieroglyphs of ink! (Who the...)
Who the ch*rp makes up Beanish? (ch*rp makes up Beanish?)
A Randall bored drawing Wal-Mart roads
Says “Hey, let’s make a language to decode!”
I would give anything to know
(About the Beanish)
Yeah, I would give all I have to give
(Would you give your TA?)
(Hmm) Are you kidding me, of course I’d give my organized sand.
(What sand do you have?)
Have a Macbook, Have a Macbook, have a Macbook!
(Some sand you can trust!)
Never mind the sand, let’s talk about the tongue
(What tongue is that again?)
It’s the Beanish, it’s the Beanish!
Randamn, it’s the most treeish tongue of all!
What's the meaning of Beanish?
Last edited by thunk on Thu May 26, 2016 6:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
troo dat

svenman

Re: 36: Forks of the Mystic

Postby svenman » Wed May 25, 2016 10:23 pm UTC

Neat song ottification! :D

thunk wrote:
svenman wrote:According to an anonymous edit in the One True Wiki, which appears to have been by thunk...

Correct. Sorry for making your life difficult...

Ah, not really. Figuring out this kind of stuff, and learning a lot in the process, is actually fun too.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 25, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Edit of my own: I see yappo in the userlist! Molpy up!

Ahh well I have been meaning to for a while so I suppose I might as well since you mention it :P

Hi! I've been outside a lot. But lately I've started lurking regularly again. Mainly thanks to lmjb who mentioned what I've been up to recently, which pushed me to pop in to see what was going on. Another thing that brought me back was that someone made a Vital Hotdog Function account on Soundcloud and followed me there. I wonder who was behind that… And I see there was a decree for posting favourite songs, and was very pleasantly surprised to see a few of my own songs brought up! There was also a decree about adventures, which reminded me that I once made a video of a molpy-hunting adventure I did but never finished or posted… and recently there was a decree about how you would be named by your hair if you were an OTC character! I would be "fabulous viking".
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu May 26, 2016 12:45 am UTC

Yay, our waterottermolpy is back!

Hi there. Hope you've been doing well.

Ya know...

Lut-ə-ra toot-ə-ra
Yappo our troubadour
Back after absence long
spurred by decrees.

Musical projects sans
Pythagoreanist
comma are verily
like unto trees.
Last edited by thunk on Thu May 26, 2016 12:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
troo dat

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 26, 2016 12:56 am UTC

Molpyup, yappo!
Good to see you in the OTT again!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 26, 2016 5:21 am UTC

Image Yappooooooooooo! Welcome forward!

taixzo wrote:BEGINNING THOUGHT TRANSMISSION FROM 2003
Spoiler:
Huh, I keep my mouth in the same shape for an 'm' sound as I do for a 'b' and a 'p'. I wonder whether there are any other sounds like that?

*goes through alphabet*

Ok, there are 3 sets: m, b, p; n, d, t; and ng, g, k. Words seem to put letters in a set together a lot, although it's not always obvious - for instance, in the work "ink", the n is making a "ng" sound. It's rather obnoxious that letters in English aren't always consistent.

What if there was a way of writing that made it obvious how a word sounded?

*sketching out letters*

Ok, I've got a first attempt.

*a few days later*

I've been using this to take notes during class, and have discovered some problems with it. There are too many strokes per character, especially in the "ng g k" series; when written in multiline text, it isn't clear whether a dot goes with the line above or below it; and "f" and "r" look too much alike.

*redesigns some things*

Cool! I now have a writing system that is based on sounds instead of letters. And...I don't really have anything to do with it.

*puts paper in filing cabinet, forgets about it for 12 years*

What a treeish background for protoBeanish! If it pre-dates Beanish, is it right to call it protoBeanish? Do you have your own name that you use for this writing system, taixzo?

Eternal Density wrote:Also I intentionally a new hotdog. It's not hot enough yet.

SREE! I'll follow the first commandment, Hotdog Vendor! Image

thunk wrote:I couldn't resist, so I made an OTTification of some music:
Spoiler:
Beanish

Based on "Stonehenge" by Ylvis (those fox guys).

My life is very molpish
I’ve got everything an OTTer ever needs
Got some buffygirl-made headwear
And I’m even featured in AotC.
And I know I should be happy, but instead
There's a question Randall got into my head

What’s the meaning of Beanish?
It’s killing me that no molp knows
Why it was made three tender yips ago.
Why did Randall make Beanish?
How could he draw those symbols fine
With little knowledge of phonology?
(us OTTers try...)

When I make some witty comics
OTTify and write neat verses
I’m the mome!
You xuys applaud me in the replies
When I tell you all these thoughts are but my own.
And in the long wipend I reach 100 posts
Y’all smile at me
Then I go and say “balls!”

But all I think of is Beanish
My dreams after I molpy down
The strangest tongue that ever makes no sound
What’s the purpose of Beanish?
A joke that GLR once made
Or a way to take notes during the fifth grade?

Beanish! Beanish! Lots of shapes in a row!
There are 13 base glyphs with accents and lines
But amazingly he got it all written in Time!
And he drew it (Beanish!)
And he scanned it (Beanish!)
And he posted it, one phrase each newpix!
Hey (one phrase each newpix!)
What’s the deal with Beanish? (Oh, what's the deal, what's the deal, what's the deal)
You should have left a tiny hint
When you made these ch*rping hieroglyphs of ink! (Who the...)
Who the ch*rp makes up Beanish? (ch*rp makes up Beanish?)
A Randall bored drawing Wal-Mart roads
Says “Hey, let’s make a language to decode!”
I would give anything to know
(About the Beanish)
Yeah, I would give all I have to give
(Would you give your TA?)
(Hmm) Are you kidding me, of course I’d give my organized sand.
(What sand do you have?)
Have a Macbook, Have a Macbook, have a Macbook!
(Some sand you can trust!)
Never mind the sand, let’s talk about the tongue
(What tongue is that again?)
It’s the Beanish, it’s the Beanish!
Randamn, it’s the most treeish tongue of all!
What's the meaning of Beanish?

Awesomeful! You have a talent for song ottification, thunk!

And svenman, you're on an OTTercomic roll lately! Steakish!

Abandoned HabitatiUNG:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 712

spamjam wrote:If they're going to the mountains they should use that wood to fashion walking sticks and maybe skies (they might reach snow if they climb enough!).

Cuegan should have planned for the Future and made thwapsticks at this point.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1612

Postby mscha » Thu May 26, 2016 7:10 am UTC

VOGUUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:CEILING CROISSANT IS WATCHING YOU BLINDPOST

-- posted by oldpixbot

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu May 26, 2016 8:58 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful! You have a talent for song ottification, thunk!

Seconded.

BlitzGirl wrote:And svenman, you're on an OTTercomic roll lately! Steakish!

Thanks, and yeah, looks like it. After a click on "Random", this one went really quickly:

Title text: The rest is fear of the outside.

RedundOTT
Spoiler:

The redundacomic, on the other hand, has been sitting on my hard disk for some time already.

xkcd0212_ottifications.png
xkcd0212_ottifications.png (32.34 KiB) Viewed 10091 times
xkcd1270_redundant.png
xkcd1270_redundant.png (21.92 KiB) Viewed 10091 times

Edit: It's true, it's not only othercomics that I ottify. I've also ottified my list of favourite books:

• The Lord of the rONGs,
  • Semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesoniceraftcastle Down,
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagullpy and
  • Zen and the Art of Molpy Molpy Grapevine.

Edit 2: Title text added.

mrob27

1190: Time: MOUNTAINISHLY MOLPISH ... FOR A KEYBOARD. まさに外道!!!

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:23 am UTC

svenman wrote:I did check the OMD before writing my "title text", though ...

Yes, I just added it, I only add words when I think about it, which is usually when someone mentions it. In the beginning I was adding things when I got confused and had to search for an answer.

thunk wrote:Now, I will return to commanding ever-larger armies of relativistic molpies, and so back to the past.

Oh yes, you must be getting quite a lot of those. If I did the maths right, their numbers compound at a rather alarming rate.

Eternal Density wrote:I reused molpixel as soon as it was mentioned, to help this future along.

Yep, they're both newwords now. "molpixels" introduced at OTT:893:21, "molpixel" introduced at OTT:1953:38. (An alphabetical list is here, in case anyone wants to look up specific words).

It's great to see @Yappobiscuits again!

Edit: Convert epsilon mrobformatting to BBcode
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu May 26, 2016 10:50 am UTC

Although I've fallen into the Basement, they who occupy Facebug know why, and know that it's not for a bad reason. :)

Solider on, everymolpy!
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 26, 2016 11:06 am UTC

Thanks, Gingercat! You have the most awesomeful of excuses.

Nice one, svenman! :D
You inspired me to an ottification myself, based off of http://3d.xkcd.com/?teapot

You know what goes well with stalkertea? A scrumptious donut.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ManipTeapot3D.png

Keywords: BGUM manip OTTercomic teapot tea pinklymolp flying pink pricklymolp stalking 3d 880
redundant286.png
redundant286.png (126.32 KiB) Viewed 10046 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1617

Postby mscha » Thu May 26, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

WHIZBUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by dawnfire.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THERE IS A VITSSÅGEN IN MY RABTOR, YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

-- posted by oldpixbot

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu May 26, 2016 12:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl, that's... teaish?
Yes, I fully accept that I deserve a pelting with scrumptious donuts.

And a seaish molpish belated hello and welcome back to yappo!

svenman wrote:Prediction: At this rate, we'll soon see double-anapests (last line of each quatrain probably a tertius paeon)...

Is it bad form to fulfill your own predictions?

La dee da, la da dee
What's been happening to me?
Why am I constantly
Ottifying?

It's like this: OTT,
Unambiguously
You are summoning me
"Keep on trying!"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

Bravo! Image

svenman wrote:BlitzGirl, that's... teaish?

Thanks!

...Can somemolpy pick up a dozen donuts for pelting purposes? I know I deserve at least a couple of them.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu May 26, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

svenman wrote:La dee da, la da dee
What's been happening to me?
Why am I constantly
Ottifying?

It's like this: OTT,
Unambiguously
You are summoning me
"Keep on trying!"

Ah, "Unambiguously"! I've been trying to thing of a single double-anapest word since yesterday, and hadn't had any luck. :P (You would think that, somewhere online, there would be a website where you could search for words that fit a given meter.)

BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:BEGINNING THOUGHT TRANSMISSION FROM 2003
Spoiler:
Huh, I keep my mouth in the same shape for an 'm' sound as I do for a 'b' and a 'p'. I wonder whether there are any other sounds like that?

*goes through alphabet*

Ok, there are 3 sets: m, b, p; n, d, t; and ng, g, k. Words seem to put letters in a set together a lot, although it's not always obvious - for instance, in the work "ink", the n is making a "ng" sound. It's rather obnoxious that letters in English aren't always consistent.

What if there was a way of writing that made it obvious how a word sounded?

*sketching out letters*

Ok, I've got a first attempt.

*a few days later*

I've been using this to take notes during class, and have discovered some problems with it. There are too many strokes per character, especially in the "ng g k" series; when written in multiline text, it isn't clear whether a dot goes with the line above or below it; and "f" and "r" look too much alike.

*redesigns some things*

Cool! I now have a writing system that is based on sounds instead of letters. And...I don't really have anything to do with it.

*puts paper in filing cabinet, forgets about it for 12 years*

What a treeish background for protoBeanish! If it pre-dates Beanish, is it right to call it protoBeanish? Do you have your own name that you use for this writing system, taixzo?

I never named it, actually!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 26, 2016 4:20 pm UTC

On a roll, svenman! I think that's better than being on a bagel, and is certainly better than being on a scrumtious donut. I do wonder however how we will determine when the neural network has surpassed OTTers in molpish creativity. Will OTTers become redundant, or will they become kitties? And I love your OTTer library. I wonder if it has one of my favorite titles: "Godel, Etchasketch, Bagh, an Eternal Beanie Grapevine"

Thunk wrote:I also approve of BG alt-texting redundakitties.
I do too - redundancy is redundantly molpish. But I'm not sure what you're talking about. Did she manage to get redundakitties to have hover-text under them?

Also, awsesomeful StonehUNGe!

And Yappo's back! Hooray for Dream Child! Now, there's this thing going on with the Crystal Organ, could you take a look, you fabulous viking, you!

Now BlitzGirl... I'm looking very suspiciously at your Stalkertease. Do you think perhaps your Scrumptious Dount needs to be served on a Plate-o? According to this magazen-o, instead of eating it all at once, we could have half, and then half again...

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 26, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

ucim wrote:And Yappo's back! Hooray for Dream Child! Now, there's this thing going on with the Crystal Organ, could you take a look, you fabulous viking, you!

Ooh, is there a problem with it? Do you need me to fix it?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

The roll continues...

taixzo wrote:Ah, "Unambiguously"! I've been trying to thing of a single double-anapest word since yesterday, and hadn't had any luck. :P (You would think that, somewhere online, there would be a website where you could search for words that fit a given meter.)

Tweedle-tum, tweedle-turds,
What I think really hurts:
Double-anapest words
Can't be many*.

And to leave adverbs be,
Pessimistically
I expect, probably
Won't leave any.

*In English or English-based OTTish, that is. But I haven't been able to work this into the poem too. Because for a double-anapest word, you need to have at least a secondary stress on the last syllable, and that's something that the English language apparently doesn't tend to do much other than in adverbs; whatever exceptions I can think of (excluding place names) have roots in Norman French or are later loanwords from French, Latin or Greek.

Double-anapest adverbs, though, I've been able to think of a few more since my last post. Some of them, especially towards the end of the list, I'll admit feel a riverish bit contrived, but only for the last two I haven't actually found any hits on G**gle:

• Optimistically (of course)
  • internationally
  • conversationally
  • computationally
  • hedonistically
  • motivationally
  • compositionally
  • unspontaneously
  • transatlantically
  • transpacifically
  • transportationally
  • competitionally
  • perturbationally

If there is a double-anapest English word that isn't an adverb, then I suspect it probably is going to end in "-ity", which doesn't exactly offer much in the way of additional rhyming variety either. (Borrowed words from languages which like to stress the final syllables of words, e. g. French, might yield some candidates too.) So, I'm afraid, English (including English-based OTTish) probably isn't a very rewarding language to compose double-anapests in.

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What a treeish background for protoBeanish! If it pre-dates Beanish, is it right to call it protoBeanish? Do you have your own name that you use for this writing system, taixzo?

How about "Taixzoish", then?

The term "Proto-Beanish" seems very appropriate, though, when considering that it predates Beanish even in a story-outside view. On the other hand, the term seems to suggest that Beanish developed from it, or at least Beanish script developed from Proto-Beanish/Taixzoish script in a story-inside view, which may have been a popular theory once but now seems not to be the case at all.

I could have used the outside terms "story-external" and "story-internal" - but "story-outside" and "story-inside" feel a little more OTTish to me.

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu May 26, 2016 6:15 pm UTC

Thank you everyone! Here's another Related past present:

Double Anapest
Based on "Trucker's Hitch", also by Ylvis.

I
I know how to write
Every kind of verse
Except one.
It’s so hard
The form most awefulsome
So treeish in ketchup
But I mustard it up

Spoiler:
I know the limerick
The couplet
And the double dactylic
But the anapest
I just can’t make it stick

Let’s do the anapest!
The anapest!

I
I really like to filk
Molpish songs, with clever jokes.
But whenever
I put in NewWords
Make the meter fit tune
With some scansion steakish,
Just turds.

I know the tanka,
The sonnet,
And the double amphibrach.
But the anapest
Saves me from puns on “sack!”

Let’s do the anapest
Double anapest
Let’s do the anapest
Double anapest

OTTers of the world!
It’s now the Time
To write this verse once and for all!
Molpies
Bring me the rhymes!
(Oh whoa)
In every basement across the world
Let’s do the anapest
Are you ready?
(Oh whoa)
Let’s write this verse!
Write! Write! Write! Write! Write!
This is how you do it!

First line now
Nonsense word
Alliterate
Start the next
Lax, lax,
Final stress
Find your xuy, say their name
Molpish stuff, make it good
River’s tiny, sea is 1
End with third paeon.
Say more words, then prepare
Stanza next, make a pun
Grape, vine, grapy vine.
Hexasyllabicize!
Soft, soft, back to stress
(C’mon)
Building up
Steakish thoughts
Final line
It’s your test.
Leave out two
Make a rhyme

Now you’ve got your anapest.
Last edited by thunk on Fri May 27, 2016 5:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
troo dat

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 26, 2016 8:23 pm UTC

Image Another steakish job!

svenman wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:What a treeish background for protoBeanish! If it pre-dates Beanish, is it right to call it protoBeanish? Do you have your own name that you use for this writing system, taixzo?

How about "Taixzoish", then?

The term "Proto-Beanish" seems very appropriate, though, when considering that it predates Beanish even in a story-outside view. On the other hand, the term seems to suggest that Beanish developed from it, or at least Beanish script developed from Proto-Beanish/Taixzoish script in a story-inside view, which may have been a popular theory once but now seems not to be the case at all.

*tries to mush the terms together*
Protobeanzo. Taixtoish. Protaibeaxzo. Prozoish.
Kind of tricky.

ucim wrote:Now BlitzGirl... I'm looking very suspiciously at your Stalkertease. Do you think perhaps your Scrumptious Dount needs to be served on a Plate-o? According to this magazen-o, instead of eating it all at once, we could have half, and then half again...

Maybe we need two dozen scrumptious donuts.

Megan tries to eliminate the squirpy pest problem with poisUNG:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 715

Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:NatGeo has this little distribution map:

Well, in that map it looks like there are none in Madagascar, but that doesn't show the region of Australia that has introduced squirrels, so I assume it's only showing natives. We still don't know for sure whether Madagascar has introduced squirrels.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Ooh, is there a problem with it? Do you need me to fix it?
There seems to be a message hidden in the latest shoe transmission; we were able to decode part of it but only by running some of the belts backwards. Unfortunately we weren't able to retrieve the rest of the message as it came right during the Dawn of Time, and also just as two blitzers arrived. But ggh found and decoded the source, and First Cleric managed to pilot a Mighty Engine bringing home seven otters in a bar, so we know BlitzGirl is safe.

It sure would be nice to find the Historical Documents though. :)

svenman wrote:How about "Taixzoish", then?
To try to limit the number of ...-ish words, I'd go with Taixz. Or possibly Taix.

@thunkSteakish seaishcargocarcastle ropetwist!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 pm UTC

Baobabs, thunk! I don't think I've ever had a song written about a creation of mine before, so I'm a very proud molpy today!

ucim wrote:
svenman wrote:How about "Taixzoish", then?
To try to limit the number of ...-ish words, I'd go with Taixz. Or possibly Taix.

Taixoan, then, maybe? But then, that might sound a little too similar to 'Texan'. And then again, maybe that's not a bad thing actually.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 26, 2016 10:57 pm UTC

"Taixoan" is neat. Like some kind of Mayan word.

ucim wrote:To try to limit the number of ...-ish words,

Too late. The treeish index of OTTish wordish words is already seaish.

So I was looking at random search results and this happened:

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:I see coma.

I see coma
I see trance
I see molpies
in my pants

And I seem to have given myself a sudden case of giggles. From the past. Temporal giggles?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 26, 2016 11:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You inspired me to an ottification myself, based off of http://3d.xkcd.com/?teapot
Spoiler:
You know what goes well with stalkertea? A scrumptious donut.
svenman wrote:BlitzGirl, that's... teaish?

Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 am UTC

Oh, the humanitea!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thunk

Postby thunk » Fri May 27, 2016 3:32 am UTC

Tea is delicious. Who would argue?
troo dat

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:So I was looking at random search results and this happened:

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:I see coma.

I see coma
I see trance
I see molpies
in my pants

And I seem to have given myself a sudden case of giggles. From the past. Temporal giggles?

Oh no! I have caught the temporal giggles!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Biscuits Time!"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 27, 2016 6:38 am UTC

Yappo! Hi! Welcome forward! I don't know who is behind the Vital Hotdog Function SoundCloud account, but I do know it exists, cos StormAngel told me it's following him too, IIRC.

-
I forgot to say 'scrumptious' in last wip's donut-eating video :(
Haven't done any videos in a few dips, as not much of interest has occured. But I did buy some new clothes todip, so that's nice. And a blueberry muffin with very sugarish cream cheese on top. Yum.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 27, 2016 6:43 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Oh no! I have caught the temporal giggles!

Aaaa, they're contagious!

BiddUNG farewell to squirpy:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 718
(The newpage where "Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys" was written.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri May 27, 2016 7:53 am UTC

svenman wrote:Taixoan, then, maybe?

Whoops, sorry. That should read "Taixzoan", of course.
Not to be confused with "protozoan".

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, the humanitea!

Whoever is in charge of getting those scrumptious donuts, better make that three dozen.
And soon, please. Before someone decides to fire up the punsaw instead.

Edit by way of temporal shenanigans: While this page doesn't have an explicit papal decree, it does have a papal suggestion of sorts. Which I've followed... of sorts. I haven't actually been looking for molpixels... but I've been matching pixels to determine the origin of the papally suggestive image manip. And I've had success: while the pixels of the bike and bicyclist are identical in a whole range of BFTF images, the groundpixels aren't. The base image of the manip is taken from BFTF 284.
Last edited by svenman on Fri May 27, 2016 6:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri May 27, 2016 8:35 am UTC

Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1638

Postby mscha » Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 am UTC

UNENDUNGERED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MTA IS THE NEW ONGTHEMOON

-- posted by oldpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 27, 2016 12:11 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
svenman wrote:

Whoever is getting those scrumptious donuts, better make that three dozen.
And soon, please. Before someone decides to fire up the punsaw instead.

Spoiler:

We're going to a wolpy beach party this wipend.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 27, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

A wolpy beach party sounds like a lot of fun! I'm housesitting weinerwolpies for a friend this wipend.

And thanks for the tea and scrumptious donuts! They seem to have done the trick and prevented my urge to pun.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”