1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:51 am UTC

thunk wrote:*gets Othercomic*

blerp -p Newpage.

ERROR: No such option. The papacy was disbanded, remember?

Not anymore, since we have now received a message from GLR that we can reinstall the papacy.

ETA: Which is happening right here! It's all RELATED.

blerp -p Image

Decree: Discuss "Rome" vs. "Avignon", or, more RELATEDLY, "Château d'If" vs. "Asinara".
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Re: 1190: "Time": BECAUSE YOU ARE _HEADCRAB GAZEBO_

Postby HES » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:26 am UTC

thunk wrote:The papacy was disbanded, remember?

You must be thinking of the other timeline.
He/Him/His Image

mrob27

1190: "Time": XUY PAGE

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm UTC

XUY PAGE
For more info start at @rhomboidal's post and continue from there… but only if it's fun: no pressure!

Do we have no lowercase or italic Randallfonts?

ETA: text:
Spoiler:
NAME
 Blitz

SYNOPSIS
 Blitz {[ OPTION | ARGS ] … [ ARGS -f [FLAGS] … }
 Blitz { … FORUMTHREAD | BLITZ } OPTIONS ] -{}

DESCRIPTION
 Blitz READS OTTISH OR OUTSIDE FORUMS OR COMICS
 USING METHODS THAT AVOID ARGUMENTS AND OUTSIDE
 MUSTARD. THIS BEHAVIOUR CAN BE OTTIFIED IN VARIOUS WAYS.

OTTIONS
 -A     All y'all (implies -x)
 -B     BANANANANAS
 -c     chocolate
 -C     Ch*rp
 -d     dragon mode
 -E n autopost when ENAP >= n
 -f     follow all links recursively
 -F     blitz via Facebug (auto-remaps usernames)
 -g     goat
 -G     Girl (combined with -y, inverts -A)
 -Hi    there!
 -J     Judgment Dip (bots auto-unBlitz for you)
 -k     ketchup mode
 -L     LEML (undocumented)
 -M     Memeify
 -m     mome (with -x implies -p)
 -n     necro (perpetual for OTT)
 -N     Ninjapost
 -O     OTTify (uses neural networks)
 -p     pope (with -G implies -m)
 -Q     pray over colour-coded binary tiles
 -r     ripple (with -T implies -w)
 -S     Stealth mode (lurker)
 -SB    Sandcastle Builder
 -ST    SilentTime (implies -S and -T)
 -T    Time (default)
 -TT   Time Travel
 -TTT   TARDIS Time Travel
 -u     unbasement (suppresses -c)
 -V     Vital Hotdog Function / varbradvaki / Vitssågen, ja!
 -w     whirly (with -T overrides -r)
 -x     transpose gender pronouns (overrides -G)
 -y     y'All
 -Z     Zanclean Blitz

SEE ALSO
 blitz(1), BlitzGirl(3), blitzgirl(v.t.), blintz(pun)

BUG REPORTS
 http://mrob.com/time/replay/index.html#1917

COPYRIGHT
 GHW(1)C**KIE/ASHF(2) BGUM(268) like MOLPY/FFS OR BEST OTTER

mrob27 Image

(Edit: I had -g instead of -G in one place, but this isn't 4chan.)
(more edits to fix m*stard)

Spoiler:
ott-1692-v6.png
OTTification of xkcd 1692 (another fix)
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

karhell

Re: 1190: "Time": XUY PAGE

Postby karhell » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:25 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
XUY PAGE

<snip>
Bhahaha! That's a treeish OTTification if I've ever seen one! Steakish, mrob!

SYNOPSIS
 Blitz {[ OPTION | ARGS ] … [ ARGS -f [FLAGS] … }
 Blitz { … FORUMTHREAD | BLITZ } OPTIONS ] -{}
If I read that correctly, you can actually blitz recursively ?
Recursively blitzing the recursive sandcastles might get a tad memory-intensive though ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 2167/2493

Postby macraw83 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

Welp, I guess I'm at it again... it's been over a yip and a half since I was last a part of the Present, and except for popping in for 2 posts in April 2015 to ask about things I should do on my business trip to Eindhoven (which ended up not mattering because I had almost 0 free time the steambottlish 2 wips I was there) I've been trapped in the Basement that whole time. I've decided to skip the SchizoBlitz and just keep myself in one Time at a time for now. It'll be different than each other time I've Blitzed, since I can't see most of the content from my WTA, but I'm using a draft PM to myself for saving links to posts containing content I can't open for future consumption on my HTA. Anyway, here we go:

3 A.T. BlitzPost #1

NP 2130-2166

Spoiler:
A few notes from sigs:
yappobiscuits' sig wrote:OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
If/when I finish blitzing (again...) I would like to help, if still needed by then.

Lu: Your sig says to let you know if you can't see the image, but I assume the mustard is due to my employer's filters rather than anything you can control.

Purplepants77's sig wrote:Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Sadly it looks like the last time xe updated this was on NP 2323, 170 NP ago, another Blitzer trapped in the Basement :(

Though it was quite molpish to see all the debasementing happening starting on NP2142, what with Helper, buffygirl, jovialbard, and a number of others showing up for the first time in over a yip :)

And now onto post responses:
SBN wrote:
bachaddict wrote:At about $1700 return, I'd rather avoid extra flights. :)
I can speak German no problem, but I'd have to learn my technical vocabulary over again.

Might come back to you surprisingly fast though. I have a nephew (Graduate of MPHS, :( ) that relocated fairly drastically after getting his Masters degree. Figured he had enough to live for a year there, so he decided to try. Turned out he found a good job, and fell in love, and is getting married there soon. I'd say he made it work. But he went with no plan, other than a couple of names of people that might know people.
MPHS? Someone said it took them a few minutes to get it a little further on, but nowhere did I see what it was, and I don't get it.

My first post after dropping into the Basement this most recent time:
macraw83 wrote:Tribal Wars: similar in some ways to C**kie Cl**ker, but a single game can last for mips or yips.

I started playing again.

Help.
It's even worse than the C**kies, not only is it something where constant vigilance is better, it's competitive to the point where to be really good there's times where you need to be online at specific times around the clock. I turned to it as a distraction from some life-mustard as somewhat of a time-waster and spent about 8 mips getting progressively more sucked in.

Blatant self-promotion:
BlitzGirl wrote:
micdi wrote:EDIT: dang, I just realized that some of the Old Ones might not know the term "OTT"... since when was that used?

*researches*
Hmm. OTT as an abbreviation wasn't around for the first couple of hundred pages at least. (I can't search the mrobdex for "ott" because every single newpage is labelled with "OTT", and "otter" is a common noun. So this was all done via threadsearch.) The phrase "One True Thread" was possibly coined by macraw83 on NP65, shortly after the first appearance of "One True Comic" by BJ Nemeth on NP64. Original phrase was actually "One True Picture" by keithl on NP63.

"OTC" as an abbreviation didn't appear until partingLance used it on NP253. Thread search suggests "OTT" the abbreviation has been around only since the NP300s (first used by Valarya). It seems macraw83 may have coined "OTTer" as well in a blitzpost on the infamous NP666. So OldTimers who left before the NP300s probably do not know what "OTT" means, and certainly not what "OTTer" means. They may recognize "One True Comic" and "One True Thread" though.
I did a thing! In the early pages! I don't remember doing it though, but still molpish!

Fairly seaish yet awesomeful post:
balthasar_s wrote:I've been thinking about how to make something conference-speech-y out of the thoughts I shared here. I still don't know but now I have some more. Working on the mirror had led me to some thoughts about the platform and the data. I made some quick drawings to illustrate it.

[snip]
This sounds like an outline for a really steakish speech. I really wish I hadn't basemented myself just before the Sustainability conference... I'm really looking forward to Blitzing through that section of it.

balthasar_s wrote:But even then it wouldn't be the most sustainable solution. Because it still would be ONE mirror. What if something happens to my server? what if something happens to me? It's good to have more.

But that's just us. how about other communities? The mirror is a solution for a phpBB thread. That's one of many different platforms. But maybe we (maybe the sustainable conference) can inspire others to do such things. That would be neat. Sush a redundancy software (including, but not limited to my mirror) should be free. To be reuseble. To be understandable. To make it possible to adjust it to a community's needs). But that's not all. There must be someone in the community with <computery-stuff> skills. There must be someone who can run a server. It's not difficult these days but you still need one, I think the best choice is a SBC or an old laptop. I bought the botcastle from my own money. And they must feel the need of doing this. I don't know how to cause that.
I don't know what all would be involved, but I could certainly host another copy of the mirror on my home server. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and we can start figuring out what sort of setup I'd need to do.

in a post title, Lu wrote:WYSIWIHATWW
What you see is what I had a thought would work?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1982

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

KUNGAROOS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SACRIFICING IS SO LAST DIP

-- posted by oldpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Blitz Progress: 2167/2493

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:And now onto post responses:
SBN wrote:
bachaddict wrote:At about $1700 return, I'd rather avoid extra flights. :)
I can speak German no problem, but I'd have to learn my technical vocabulary over again.

Might come back to you surprisingly fast though. I have a nephew (Graduate of MPHS, :( ) that relocated fairly drastically after getting his Masters degree. Figured he had enough to live for a year there, so he decided to try. Turned out he found a good job, and fell in love, and is getting married there soon. I'd say he made it work. But he went with no plan, other than a couple of names of people that might know people.
MPHS? Someone said it took them a few minutes to get it a little further on, but nowhere did I see what it was, and I don't get it.

Yeah, that's blitzer unfriendly. There was some real-world unmolpishness at his high school very shortly before that post was made.
I added an oblique explanation. Probably a lot of folks didn't get it, but it wasn't essential to get.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

More blindish ketchup, much of it long-winded:

addams wrote:(phew) I don't know how the Blitzers do it.
Such Patience, Such Persistence.
I too am in awe. It takes me ages just to ketchup a few pages. Blitzers are amazing.

addams wrote:I do know, I am glad the Blitzers are out there.
They bring back such Treasures.

Like The WaterFall of OTTers.
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/ott/ ... all2_2Egif
It is so pretty and Fun!
Thanks! Did you watch long enough to see yourself? A few OTTers, like yourself, didn't have an avatar at the time, so I either just made their name in colour, or I decorated it a bit with whatever seemed to fit that OTTer. Do you get your reference? I can't remember whether I explained it before....

I was very honoured when MistyCat chose a frame from his portion of the current to be his avatar. But since everyone's avatar is distorted in the flow, even though MistyCat's avatar is that distorted frame, I still feel like his original (or base, maybe?) avatar is the image I distorted, making it an invisible original - something that only I've seen. (After all, if his avatar really was with the waterfall, then I would have had to put the waterfall in the waterfall, no?) When I hid the OTTers, no one ever spotted MistyCat, because I hid the base image, and not the waterfall.

I had a skink too. That skink was my least favourite pet ever.
Spoiler:
Mostly I liked frogs and toads as a kid, but I branched into other amphibians and reptiles after a while. Anoles (often sold as chameleons at the time, since they could change colour) were neat and you could walk around with them clinging to your shirt. I had a gecko or two, but they weren't cuddly like the anoles. Neat-looking though. Then, one day my Dad and I came home from The Pet Place in the strip mall in Nutley with a pair of blue skinks (or at least that's what I think they told us they were).

Mr. and Mrs. Skink I named them. My pet names... well, the Cuban Tree Frogs were Cubey and Cubette, and I think I named the newts after how many spots they had. One of my earliest frogs I wanted to name Frig, and I didn't understand why I wasn't allowed to. They insisted I soften the g, so he was Fridge. Frig the Frog sounded great. Fridge the Frodge? When I got older and more sophisticated, I'd name my swordtails after Kenny Rogers' songs, but those days were far off. Mr. and Mrs. Skink it was.

Anyways, Mr. Skink died within 24 hours. My Dad brought him back to the pet shop, and they offered to replace him with some other lizard they had, so Dad came back home with this other thing we didn't know what it was. As you might expect, I named it Mr. It.

Mr. It looked an awful lot like this:
so we thought he was an iguana. Iguanas are herbivores though, and Mr. It was on a hunger strike until he spotted a cricket meant for one of the other molpies. He was definitely not a herbivore. Something else then? Or maybe just an iguana with an eating disorder. Does that happen?

Mr. It was awesomeful. He was fine with being picked up and happy to travel on a shoulder. He'd sit next to me while I watched telly. He'd climb the stairs one by one with the determination and resolve of a blitzer. I could keep him on a leash and, after the first time he made a big poop on me, I usually had him in some form of diaper made of paper towel. Mr. It was a brilliant pet.

But we were talking about skinks, you object. Yes, well Mrs. Skink was still there, scurrying around looking for a chance to attack me when I'd reach in the tank to pull out Mr. It. She's the one who escaped for a while, because she bit my finger so hard, and would not let go, that I ended up flailing my hand around, sending her sailing across the room.

And now, somewhere closing in on four decades later, I look at wikipedia and find out that in the blue skink, the female has the blue tail. Oops. Mrs. Skink was the male all along. I wonder if all the misgendering was why the little ch*rper had it in for me....

Hi macraw and micdi! Good to see you!

thunk wrote:
ggh wrote:Ooh, thunk, oilslick is purty! I feel like you'd kinda have to use it in conjunction with something else

Not really, in my experience. It works best in flatter areas; mountains regions, you just have to memorize which hue maps to which height.
That sounds fair. I'll change my quote a bit then. How about:
ggh wrote:Ooh, thunk, oilslick is purty! I feel like, as a novice user, I'd kinda have to use it in conjunction with something else.
While I think I'm probably at least middle-of-the-road in my perception of hue differences, my sensitivity goes way down if you introduce some high-frequency, high-amplitude brightness variations that mask it. So when I look at the South Island of NZ in oilslick
Spoiler:
I struggle to make sense of the shapes that the hue and saturation shifts are reporting because my visual system is overwhelmed with information that it deems more important. Training and experience could help, but for me, I'm not going to spend that kind of Time looking at maps like these. The conventional map gives me a more immediate sense of the shapes of these mountains:
Spoiler:
The other problem I'm having is a behavioral one, where I'm wanting to look at a largish area on a screen that isn't especially flash. This is making the Nyquist limit a factor for me. For example, zoomed out, NZ looks like this in oilslick:
Spoiler:
I've lost the banding in the Southern Alps, and I could be seeing something high but flat instead. I'm less likely to make that error with the conventional map.
Spoiler:
None of this is to say oilslick isn't cool, or I'd rather not use oilslick; I feel like I could pick up a lot of great details with it, but that I'd like to start with an overview that has less detail.

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 1.19.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 1.20.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 1.23.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 1.23.56 AM.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

macraw83

Re: Blitz Progress: 2167/2493

Postby macraw83 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:19 am UTC

SBN wrote:Yeah, that's blitzer unfriendly. There was some real-world unmolpishness at his high school very shortly before that post was made.
I added an oblique explanation. Probably a lot of folks didn't get it, but it wasn't essential to get.
Sorry for opening old wounds then. Once you mentioned unmolpishness, it sounded familiar and I figured it out pretty quickly. It really sucks that these incidents are becoming increasingly frequent. I myself graduated from Virginia Tech, and though I didn't begin to attend school there until after the shootings it had always been where I had planned to go after high school (my parents met while students there, and I have been on that campus at least once every year since I was about 6), so I can understand how it may have made your nephew feel. :(

Wow, it really shows how long I've been away from the OTT, this new notification system is treeish. It tells you specifically when someone quotes you... not to take away from the first part of this post.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:10 am UTC

ggh wrote:I was very honoured when MistyCat chose a frame from his portion of the current to be his avatar. But since everyone's avatar is distorted in the flow, even though MistyCat's avatar is that distorted frame, I still feel like his original (or base, maybe?) avatar is the image I distorted, making it an invisible original - something that only I've seen. (After all, if his avatar really was with the waterfall, then I would have had to put the waterfall in the waterfall, no?) When I hid the OTTers, no one ever spotted MistyCat, because I hid the base image, and not the waterfall.

FTFYBUTU(WFM) (Fixed that for you by un-securing the URL (Worked for me.))
The honour is all yours.

(Hang on, is that what I mean to say? I feel honoured, so I have the honour, therefore it's mine. (Mine, I tell you!) But... But... It's yours. Is this like the way nobody knows whether it's better to make a categorical or an uncategorical statement? I'm confused. Let's start again.)

All honour due for the creation of my avatar is yours. (Un)categorically, in the avatar category. Thank you.

Hey, ggh, you offered to send me the original image, and I declined because my capture of the distorted image was... right. Correct. Appropriate. What I wanted, even though I didn't know what I wanted.
I've changed my mind. (The new mind is an upgrade, capable of eleventy-ump more microflops per macrofortnight. Not a pretty sight, flops everywhere.)
Would you mind to either PM me the original, or post it here in full view of everybody, all those eyes, staring, watching, judging... ... OK, I'm better now.

Back to your above quote.
ggh wrote:no one ever spotted MistyCat

Sigh

I found manymany otters in that findTheOTTer image, but I haven't yet found me. (Sounds like the title of a 60s C&W song.)
The TIME you must have spent! (Admiration, aWe, envy, pleasure.)

Thank you.

many Quite a lot.

ETA Words which are no longer meaningful. Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many, Sigh, Many.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1994

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:10 am UTC

LADYFUNGER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I SEE WHAT YOU ONGED THERE

-- posted by oldpixbot

thunk

1190: "Time": NO MMONS AT CHRONOCORP CAN POST ME!

Postby thunk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:22 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:I found manymany otters in that findTheOTTer image, but I haven't yet found me.

I found approximately 64 OTTers in that picture. None of them were MistyCat.
They were all cleverly hidden.

Spoiler:
Though I'm not sure how poor Lu became an equimolp. Journey to the ($direction)?

ggh: I can see now how oilslick is less useful in certain situations than regular hypsometric maps. I just happen to live in an area whose "mountains" can't really be detected in the regular kind.

Then again, really flat areas, like Holland or south Florida, don't show up well on this one either.

edit:

treeishness SREEEishness
[Minim, I'm sorry] and
data won't come, hence a
weependish trip.

Local museum that's
osteological
Molpy skulls everywhere
improved my dip.

Bonily lonely
keyboards and run-raptors
adnapder next to an
otter stretched out.

Carcasses question'ble
incomprehensible
why one xuy got them all...
Fun? There's no doubt.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time" - Too crazy to be mental

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:26 am UTC

Gee, I wanted to finish my protracted ketchup tonight, but I can't. Soon.

SBN wrote:
svenman wrote:Edit: Whoa, poped. Decree: Tell us about mustard that you can look back on and laugh about.

My engagement. No wait, that doesn't sound right. Here's the story.
Aw, I love this story. *feels all warm and fuzzy*

Mine comes with no deep meaning or turning-point-in-life significance.
Spoiler:
When I went off to university, my greatest love (not counting parents) was my gold 1970 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. If you read my story about the lizards, you will have already guessed her name. My father bought Goldie as an ex-rental when she was retired from that business at 2 or 3 years old. Goldie loved my Dad with every one of her 471 cubic inches of engine. He'd get under her hood and work magic when she was feeling down, and she'd do her very best to never leave him in the lurch. I remember she brought him to work one day at Maxwell House and something was going wrong with her insides: she managed to keep going and get just inside the coffee plant's parking lot before she collapsed. She had real heart. And my Dad worked wonders to keep her going. I think her final odometer reading was 268,000 miles.

I adored her, and when I learned to drive and went off to uni, Goldie became mine. Like a loyal dog, she accepted me as her beloved master's property and did her best to protect me too, even though I wasn't her one. I remember running out of fuel on the highway and coasting into the last gas station for miles and miles, and rolling right up, just to the nearest pump. "Can you pull forward to the next pump please?" "No. I can't."

She was already an old car, but we got up to a lot of shenanigans. She kept me warm one winter when I lived in her (lowest temp -19 F/-28 C) and I don't know how many times we had to get pulled back onto the road, either from muddy ditches during a road rally or out of snowbanks. Once I woke up doing 60mph leaning 40 degrees to the right on the side of the little ridge that ran between the Eastbound and Westbound lanes of Rt 80. We fled at high speed together from a strange man on the highway who had his 100th post in his hand and wanted me to get in the back seat. On a rainy night, we hit a beef cow on a country highway. It flew through the air, straight-legged like something out of a Monty Python film, skidded to a stop on its side... and then lumbered back into the woods.

Oh cheese, this is already longwinded, and I haven't even gotten to the story. Sorry. Here it is:

When I started university I was terribly homesick, so I used to make the 220-mile (350 km) trip home most weekends. Much of the route was quite rural, and I generally travelled at night. Maybe a third of the way back to campus one night, Goldie started having some electrical issues - the lights would dim a little when we went over bumps in the road. This got progressively worse, and was joined by sparks flying from under the hood when there was rough road. Now, I didn't know what it takes to make a car explode (still don't really) so I was scared. I sang my High School Alma Mater to myself in a trembling voice over and over again as I drove through the blackness

I pulled over at one point, opened the hood and came comically close to solving the problem. I touched something (I can't recall how... with a stick maybe?... with my hands wouldn't make sense) and ZZZZZT! - a big spark shot out, so... you guessed it - I quickly closed the hood and kept driving, more frightened than ever. I can't imagine that Goldie ever wanted a head to shake and eyes to roll more than in that moment.

True to form though, Goldie kept going, on through the darkness, until we got to the lighted stretch of road at Binghamton, NY, and that's when the battery finally caught fire. She stalled, and I wrestled her to the side of that nice well-lit road.

I saw the flames and ran away, but I loved Goldie, so I ran back. But really, what could I do about it? so I ran away again. I had to do something! - I ran back. Aaaa! Meanwhile, a big rig was coming down the road, and the driver saw this idiot teenage girl running back and forth on the shoulder. He pulled over.

The truck driver strode over to Goldie, calmly lifted the hood, and blew out the flaming battery like a birthday cake. The metal bar that should have been holding the battery in place had come loose on one side and had been shorting across the terminals. Oops. The driver dipped the finger of his glove into the battery, and held it, smoking, out to me. "Acid," he said. The battery was in quite a state: most of the top was gone, and two of the sides looked like the Cookie Monster had taken a huge bite out of them - they were close to half gone.

Then the truck driver said the stupidest thing I have ever heard in all my life:
"Why don't you try to start it."

I turned the key. Goldie started right up.

Huh. Right, then. He did suggest that it'd be better not to stop until I got to where I was going.

The next day in Ithaca I bought a new battery. The fellows at the shop were puzzled by how I had gotten the car there. My claim to have driven it there did not agree with what their eyes were telling them.

Goldie. What a car.

ChronosDragon wrote:My goodness, it's been a while, hasn't it.

You may see me around more frequently soon, as I exit spring quarter and enter my summer occupation! I think balthasar_s must have pulled some strings at the moon base, because I got a fairly selective position in NASA's internship program! I'll be molpying around down in Florida, with, I hope, more free time on my hands than I have as a full-time college student.

Til then, I've one or two more finals to finalize and then two movings to do, so I really must be molpying down. Ta!
ChronosDragon! So good to see you, and best of luck with the finals and movings, but if anyone's making book, I'd like to put a Hamilton on NASA's internship program not leading to more free time on your hands.

Mucho congratulations though, and I am looking forward to hearing about it whenever you might have time to tell us about it. That's gotta be pretty exciting, even for a dragon. :)

macraw83 wrote:I do still have that Terraria server up and running from almost 2 yips ago now, even though it only has a riverish amount of work done in it, which currently amounts to part of the starting castle. It would be treeish to see it finally get some use, so shoot me a PM if you're interested in hopping on. We could possibly try to set some specific times for "meetups" on there, too, if that's something that sounds molpish to other OTTers.
I'd love to meetup, but I'd need some pretty thorough directions. That world is unknown to me.

thunk wrote:And I have another past present-- I ottified the 42 Negative Precepts (well, the wikipedia translation thereof; sources differ) from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.
Spoiler:
1. I have not sinned.
2. I have not mustarded the Thread.
3. I have not stolen others’ work.
4. I have slain nomolpy.
5. I have not purloined past presents.
6. I have not purloined present presents.
7. I have not purloined what is the GLR’s.
8. I have not uttered puns.
9. I have not been stingy with cakes.
10. I have not used ch*rp liberally.
11. I have ch*rped not with molpies.
12. I have driven none to steambottle.
13. I have not wept for naught.
14. I have not impeded the blitzers.
15. I am not a molpy of wordplay.
16. I have not stolen others’ OTTifications.
17. I have not creeped elsewhere upon other OTTers.
18. I have slandered nomolpy.
19. I have not entered the Basement without just cause.
20. I have not posted flashy gifs without warning.
21. I most definitely have not posted flashy gifs without warning.
22. I have not acted mustardly.
23. I have committed no personal attacks.
24. I have not broken the Forum Rules.
25. I have not raged over the multiple of Lego.
26. I have not shut my ears to that which is One True.
27. I have not committed heresy.
28. I am not a molpy of vindictiveness.
29. I am not an inciter of flame wars.
30. I have not failed to Wait For It.
31. I am not a nosy molpy.
32. I have not made my posts seaish without need.
33. I have done naught endish.
34. I have not tempted OTTers with c**kies (or other addictions).
35. I have never caused the Sea to rise.
36. I have never posted in anger.
37. I have not committed heresy against the GLR.
38. I have not acted with contempt toward OTTers.
39. I have not purloined others’ OdeTiTies.
40. I have not carried away the food of the basemented.
41. I have not taken umbrage at new posters, nor treated with contempt the current pope.
42. I have not slain the redundakitties.

If you do these, your heart will be found too heavy, and will be devoured by the raptorcat kept in out basement. Thus ends your afterlife.
Haha - terrific! I especially chuckled at 20/21.
So I figure I score about a 16. Oh dear. I'm going to need a thwapstick.

mrob27 wrote:as demonstrated by my own script, which extracts actual text from the OTT and arranges it into stanzas of any desired length, metre and rhyme scheme (in this case, ABBA double-anapest):
Mrol's bOTTronic Bard wrote:
 and continued to build
 for the MOTHER OF ALL
 And that river is small
 that affected and killed
Spoiler:
  I'm enjoying the ride
  From the talk of a group
  of the World in a loop
  from the opposite side
 This is one of the space
 for the OTTscars are here
 are entirely clear
 that results in a place
  of a task to explain
  is a problem at all
  And I want to install
  this a while to regain
 For this reason I doubt
 to be manually
 but it's generally
 in denial about
  or are people asleep
  but I couldn't resist
  That is meant to exist
  a suggestion to keep
 to the rifleman's creed
 is a drawing mistake
 and is suited to make
 for the hat I can read
  of statistical claims
  to relate to this thread
  at the link to embed
  can just copy the frames
(etc.)

Treeish!
I wonder what would be the shortest poem that makes sense that would include all those lines.

As for svenman's adverbs, I think they'd work fine too. Even if spoken alone and naturally they might be considered to have different stresses, I find that when I'm happily tripping along a nice meter, I'll push "almosts" into the right rhythm, just like I'll alter my everyday pronunciation to accommodate a rhyme scheme as long as it's not too far off.

Eternal Density wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:And then, I noticed in a post by mrob27 a mention of Homestuck.
I already heard the name before but didn't know much more about it. I think I saw the first page of it once.
I went to see what it is...
and spent 3 weeks reading it. I finished yesterday.
I liked it.
I admit I laughed at this sudden diversion from sand-organising to otherothercomic-reading.
Yes! And in my head, I can hear it spoken in the balthavoice.

mscha wrote:New OtherComic

Steakish OTTercomic! (and an awesomeful summoning to boot!)

azule wrote:I... I didn't know. And here I was thinking I was in the basement.

azule! Yay! What's new, fox?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time": NO MMONS AT CHRONOCORP CAN POST ME!

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:12 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Then again, really flat areas, like Holland or south Florida, don't show up well on this one either.

The way things are going they may not be showing up on any maps.

I hope my daughter's car, Cloud, is as good as Goldie. (But without the sparks, please.)
So far her travels have taken her from FL to NY, to Maine, to Quebec and Ontario. (And the places in between, of course.)

I wonder where she'll drive to next.

Treeish to have some folks back from the basement.

And wish me luck, I think I found the house I want. (Just hoping too many other people don't also want it.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

Hell-o Time;
I have Personal Problems.
I get all emotional.

My BackPack .... (i'm sobbing)
Klenix? no, thank-you.
I'm using a kitchen towel.

When I take to crying,
I don't mess around.

(it is, just, a BackPack)
Spoiler:
My BackPack ....
I've not been well.
I've not been using my BackPack.

I thought I had done 'due-dillagence'.
It was hung in a closet that is used.
That closet is opened, nearly, everyday.

I have had a BackPack, and a Good One! most of my adult life.
Like my dog or my left leg, my BackPack is a constant in a world of variables.

One Time some AssHoles got into my BackPack.
I told their 'Boss' we had a problem.
I'd rather they went after Me, than my BackPack.

My BackPack ...
For a Year?

For more than a Year, I could not lift it.
I could see it. It hung there, waiting.

Waiting for What?
For today?

For the day I reach up, lift it down with its hanger and assess it.
Assess it the way I have assessed a BackPack so many, many times.

This time was different.
My BackPack failed, at first glance.

My BackPack has some kind of white mold or ... what else could it be??
I think it is mold. (ok. ok. it might not be That bad.)

Is it ruined?
Does it matter?

Does it matter, if I throw it away?
It is the last in a long line of Great BackPacks.

oh, the configurations of BackPack, ButtPack and Bag I have tried.
Some were more trouble and weight than they were ever worth.

The one I have, here and now, has been a very good BackPack.
What will I ever use a BackPack for?; On this Earth in this Body?

I suppose, that is Why I am so emotional about my Stupid BackPack.
I am saying Good-Bye forever to 'Packing Up and Walking Off'.

The Stupid Thing is a Souvenir.
It is a moldy, old, piece of cloth, Souvenir.

I sure liked that PackBack.
It stood the test of Hard Daily Use for a Long, Long Time.

Should I plug the maker?
I'd buy gear made by these folks, again.
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/everyday-bags-view-all/l/329
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/luggage_view_all/l/327

I've worn some of their gear out and had to replace it.
I replaced it with the exact same thing, if at all possible.
ok. Time for me to stop feeling sorry for me.
It is, Just, a BackPack.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time": XUY PAGE

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:49 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:XUY PAGE

I really like this ottification!

I tried -L together with -TTT. It resulted in a Mustardis Time Travel.

ggh wrote:And in my head, I can hear it spoken in the balthavoice.
my voice in someone's head? :shock:
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:42 am UTC

So I was watching a Minecraft video on Youtube, and suddenly OTTish: https://youtu.be/DIR4tXLJ6jM?t=20s

Is Zisteau an OTTer?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:26 am UTC

Pricklymolp UNG

The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2017

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:10 am UTC

KNOWUNGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by dawnfire.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ALSO, I CAN PUNSAW YOU WITH MY RIDONDAKITI.

-- posted by oldpixbot

thunk

1190: "Time": ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR YAPPOCISED OTTER

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:50 am UTC

Hello again, wipenders.

There would have been a blitzreport here, but I have been on various Heretical Outside Adventures while Waiting for Data.

My coma schedule is strangely unyappocised for this time of yip--past-me loved to annoy xer parents by staying up way late when there's nothing to do.

(I tried using "xe" once as a personal pronoun in meatspace. Outsiders didn't get it.)

EDIT for decree:

The Beanies, seeking to gain influence in papal decisions, successfully convince the pope to move over to Massalia. Eventually, the Asinarans get fed up with this, and convince the pope to return. The Beanies respond by electing their own popes.

Eventually, the authorities decide they've had enough of two popes, and call a conclave to settle the issue. But ni ni ni ni chupamolpy grapevine, and they elect a third pope. The conflict between the Asinaran, Massalian, and Wavepixian papacies flares up. Thus begins Time After After After... Time.
troo dat

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:36 pm UTC

Back from Europa Park! Weather was very molpish indeed, none of the Zancleanness that was forecast. Back home however it is now very Zanclean.
ggh wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:and recently there was a decree about how you would be named by your hair if you were an OTC character! I would be "fabulous viking".
Yay! Hi yappo! My image search was coming up with things like this:
Spoiler:

which, while being a fabulous Viking Otter, wasn't quite what I had in mind.
I had to resort to bashing stuff together:
Spoiler:

Is it like looking in a mirror?

I wish :P ...No, with my physique I'm a bit more "hobbit dressed like a viking" than actual viking :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

The number of STAFs is increasing.
Spoiler:

redundant
Spoiler:
newstaf.jpg
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

WHAT! NO, NOT THE TARDIS _PROBE_!

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:48 am UTC

So much molpishness lately! Yappobiscuits is back! Yippee! And it looks like ChronosDragon is back, and macraw83 as well. And there's moody7277. Wowterful indeed to see so many dear OTTers.

Speaking of wowterful, seeing ggh's avatar waterfall again was treeish. So amazing.

mrob and mscha had great ottifications, there are more STAFs, thunk had some poetry, MistyCat made me :azule:, Zooman has reinstated the papcy (I vote for Avignon), and just all sorts of treeishness. I've only done the last two pages of ketchup, so I'm sure there is much steakishness to be commented on.

And now I want to share something I promised to share some Time ago, something that made me squee:
Yes, it's a CD from the Bard of the OTT himself, along with a molpish note with a spoiler. Squeee!!!
Warning: This CD is not for everyone. Don't buy it unless you enjoy wingish, evocative, lush music that is beautifully performed and produced. :) It's brought me comfort during my recent extended period on the Outside.

And now I want to share something I've been working on, with help from a few others. As some of you may know, addams, our dear friend and resident poet and mystic, has gone through some difficult times recently. She's dealt with some serious health issues, and while she is currently in remission, the treatment has left her very weak and very broke. We've created a CrowdRise campaign to help her raise money so that she can stay in her home. You can find out more about what she's gone through and donate (any amount will help) by following this link:
https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
The title and text were mostly written by addams herself, as you may have guessed. :)

You can also go to CrowdRise.com and search for my name:
Spoiler:
Laura McShane

and it will show up under my fundraisers.

I did quite a bit of research on crowdfunding sites, and this seemed to be the best option. You can donate anonymously, costs are low, and in some cases CrowdRise will give you 100% of what was raised. Also, their website is funny.

We would like to get the word out to other members of the fora. The mods said that we could start a thread on FAiD. If someone who is on FAiD would be willing to do that, it would be much appreciated. We were told we could not put in in Dear SB. However, people can put the URL in their sig and get the word out that way. Thank you in advance to anyone who help.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information, or want to donate in some other way, or have any ideas about other ways to help.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Package contained redundakitty. Would buy again.

yappo-cd.jpg

yapp_redundakitty.jpg

edited to fix macraw83's vintage. :)
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:05 am UTC

And yet more very very slow ketchup. Sorry. But then again, there was a whole ad campaign once devoted to glorifying my way of doing things. :P

Febrion wrote:-----------------------HIJACKED DECREE------------------------
Worship me!

ergman wrote:People who are still here are still here, sipping whatever's left. It's the part of the party where most people have dipped or are sleeping, and the ones still awake get to share a quiet companionship. All the chaos and beer pong has fizzled out.
I really like this.

people wrote:stuff about cultishness
Whenever I hear words like "cultish", or "unhealthy" or really, heaps of words, I think of the classic:
I'm slender.
you're thin.
She's skinny.
Thinking about this, and contemplating having an unnecessary little rant, led me to this page where, continuing from the "skinny" comment,
Gary Rector wrote:This kind of "conjugation" works for many "adjectives."

I'm a genius.
You're smart.
He's a know-it-all.
Sure I agree, but the thing that struck me was that word "conjugation." I mean, I've sometimes thought that it would be cool if you had to say something using a neutral term and then explicitly own that you approve or disapprove, but I never thought of it in terms of a conjugation, though I suppose some languages out there do.... Anyways, where I'm going with this -
azule wrote:Did we learn Beanish yet? :?:
No, but I think we can. And I think that thinking about things like conjugating opinion can only help.

balthasar_s wrote:Today, one year ago, BFTF *nded.

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:If you look at the scan (http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/aftertime/bftf/somefiles.zip, 20141102_123618.PNG you'll see this text written on the clock:
It's the same text you can find on a clock in my film "Nie Śpij".
Why did I hide the text below the border?
Because it's a pun.
Wait, I don't get it. It's almost like cake stump, which is a thing, but instead it's cake froth? I'm not doing this right.

Don't worry about the pun. There is something more important to notice in that post.
Hmm. Okay... on that somefiles page there are a few lines with arrows pointing to them that didn't end up in BFTF as ONGed, but the significance of that is not immediately apparent to me:
Spoiler:
And then there's this image in your own spoiler:
which seems enlarged 4x, so it probably comes from something like this:
but I haven't found that in the somefiles that I can easily view.
Anyone recognize this?

thunk wrote:
taixzo wrote:
ggh wrote:
thunk wrote:I did something mustardy last night by locking myself out of the bedroom (steambottle).

I'm also bad at comaing on couches--but I am good at Waiting For It--so it ended up being a live-action reenactment of the Long Night (as I mentioned in the irc).

which leads to the first image from stuff discussed there--lockpicking practice with taixzo.
Irc? First image - lockpicking... I torn between interpreting that as being related to being locked out of a room, and seeing it as a combing-type procedure, referring back to ED's eye hair.
IRC being Internet Relay Chat (also known as "chatrooms" if you used AOL). There is an #xkcd channel on the Foonetic network, which is where Randall, davean, Stereo and others hang out.
There apparently also used to be an #xkcd-time channel back when the OTC was still updating, but I'm sure it's long dead.
Sorry, I've heard of irc - that's essentially what we were doing at OTTerCon, yes? - but when I saw this post I had a sudden attack of FoMO. Was everyone conversing on irc and I didn't know about it? The horror!

So, this #xkcd-time channel sounds pretty redundant... Molpish! Is there any record of these conversations? Maybe there were hints in there....

lmjb1964 wrote:Read my first newpage in...I don't even know how long. It feels very, very good. I missed everymolpy!
lmjb1964 wrote:Oh, I meant to say in my last post that it's a mute point, in fact it's downright feudal, to try and correct Febrion's iconic word usage. You'd be at all dip. It's even in his notes in the bottom margarine of his posts. :wink:
So glad you're back!
Spoiler:

SilentTimer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:The first PCB STAF is assembled and it works!
Spoiler:

:confused:

karhell wrote:Already had 2/3 with the sig and location (though sig paren wasn't exactly obvious. Should be better now).
Aaaand this should be 3/3, if Balthasneaky didn't add more in the meantime.
Ha! Brilliant!

Next time I post I'll hopefully be on the right NP, posting currentish things - yay!

rsir:
Spoiler:
Febrion_rays.jpg
20141102_123618.PNG
redunpixActualSize.png
redunpixActualSize.png (391 Bytes) Viewed 13388 times
Agatha the Awesomeful

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

THESE AREN'T THE GOATS YOU'RE WAITING FOR IT FOR

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:26 am UTC

All hail Febrion!! :D

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Meta Subject Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:39 am UTC

Awesomeful Xuy Page mrob!
I had something else to say but I forgot. I've had bad internet for a few dips.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:36 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2052

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

UNGOÛMENTS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Valarya.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M WORKING TO CREATE A PENGOATIMATE M&M THAT WILL ETERNALLY SACRIFICE EVERYONE WHO FAILS TO KETCHUP THE BALDO'S MICROMOLPY PEOPLE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Re: id=52152: "Molpixels"

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

ggh wrote:on that somefiles page there are a few lines with arrows pointing to them that didn't end up in BFTF as ONGed, but the significance of that is not immediately apparent to me:
Spoiler:
balthasar_s wrote:When I draw bftf I sometimes leave notes for my future self who will scan and frameify the pages:
Spoiler:
In this case the arrows mean that after scanning the drawing has to be moved down so that the line becomes the bottom of the frame.
ggh wrote:but I haven't found that in the somefiles that I can easily view.
It's not in the somefiles
BSTA

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:04 pm UTC

addams wrote:(it is, just, a BackPack)

I can understand your sentiment. I've been somewhat emotionally attached to a briefcase which has accompanied me through three years of school, later university and finally professional life. I used it literally on every single working day I left the house. Over time latches broke, hinges weakened and finally the handle broke in a way that could not be repaired. After 31 years of service I was forced to buy myself a new one. The company still exists and they are selling a somewhat similar model, which I bought. It is a fine briefcase, but it's not the same.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

Steambottle, annoying m*stard at the MFFS today, as so many other days. And I just had an arachnomolp crawling on me, although it was so small that even I wasn't freaked out by it.

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed your lizard tails tales, ggh. (And the scrumptious donuts. :) ) That definitely looks like an iguana, and I'm pretty sure that iguanas, and most lizards as far as I know, are more than happy to eat bugs, even if they are mostly vegetarian. He sounds like he was really fun, which also suggests that it was an iguana. They can have quite the personality.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

thunk

44: Raftcastle Without

Postby thunk » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:02 pm UTC

IX. The City of Cleveland, Ohio shall have all the old Liberties and Customs which it hath been used to have...
--the Molpy Carta (NP 1297 edition).

1898/2493 pages read (76.13%)
49.5 dips taken

Spoiler:
We begin first in the aftermath of the Sadness. The event (covered in the previous update), exposed the divisions between the OTT and the fora, but that itself led to molpishness, as OTTers went to Otherthreads, and residents of Otherthreads did likewise. In the latter category, SecondTalon drops in and commends our effort at cataloguing the Furious Doodling of 2014-- we got 54% of the filters, better than the average of 30-40%.

And it's pretty obvious that one person's cult is another's community now, after the incident of last update. That term is really a snarl-word that hinders the amity and good relations experienced now by this community, and adds to the ill-consideredness of what I had said in the previous update--many of the things I had mentioned about the OTT were blown way out of proportion. Once again, I apologize.

Back to the good stuff. ggh proposes a discussion on page 1865 or thereabouts about aliens giving Santa Claus machines to everyone. Most posters here are understandably hesitant, considering the ramifications of an unlimited source of energy for all, but on the lower settings that ggh proposed (e.g. make anything you could get at the local Wal-Mart), I find myself agreeing more with what (O Mighty Crow) Belial and Angua argued--namely, that worrying about how people won't work if they have basic necessities provided for them 1) puts the cart before the metaphorical equimolp, and 2) focuses on the needs of the haves versus the have-nots. In fact, if people didn't have to worry about basic survival, they could work on more creative pursuits--like OTTifying everything in sight. :p

In some ways, this is reminiscent of the recent debate over basic income--giving everyone enough welfare to satisfy the necessities in life, no strings attached. Opponents decry that this too will make people not want to work, while proponents argue (based on the small-scale studies already conducted of such programs) that it won't, and that the ethic of letting people starve if they won't or can't work is fundamentally inhumane. I personally am somewhat in favor.

But the most prolific former Outsider is probably Link, who hit a six in the form of Automome. Its output was quoted widely in the pages to come.

Automome wrote:THE BASEMENT: THE FINAL FRONTIER. THESE ARE THE VOYAGES OF THE STARSHIPCASTLE _SHIPCASTLE_. ITS CONTINUING MISSION: TO EXPLORE RAPTORCATTISH NEW WORLDS, TO SEEK OUT NEW <COMPUTERY STUFF> AND NEW WOWTERFALLS, TO MUSTARDILY DELURK WHERE NO MOLPY HAS DELURKED BEFORE.

Sounds about right, in my case.

Lingustics discussion occurs. I personally am a descriptivist, but gender in European languages is arbitrary and frankly, ridiculous (I speak Russian). And based around a binary framework, as usual, so screwing over the people who don't fit into neat little boxes even more. Boo.

That being said, the ESL speakers here are pretty fluent in English--I didn't notice any serious mistakes. This seems to be true among a lot of web forums as well.

somemolpy wrote:Didn't some folks help fold a protein some time ago?

Chronos_Dragon wrote:I tried that game out once. It was seaishly difficult - they only barely abstracted the hard scientific concepts, so the learning curve was quite sharp. I don't recall if they ever had any big successes.

Hi! I was one of those people, before the time of Time.
Call me a heretic, but few things teach one to Wait For It better than performing manual nudges and wiggles for five hours to get the last millipoint.
That hotdog may have been somewhat useful for scientific purposes--I remember the Contenders solution from the holidips got a lot of media attention--but it was more about the hotdogging anyway.
Like the OTT, the community seems to be in more of the after-after-afterparty period now.

Also, I used to play (and still do sometimes) the Orbiter hotdog a lot, which has a similarly steep learning curve. Never tried KSP, because I don't like actually spending money on hotdogs.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I think this is the most interesting things about blitzing, whilst knowing what is going to happen - you spot references to major events/things etc that you know are well-known/majorly symbolic in the life of the OTC/OTT.

Indeed. But the problem comes as a blitzer nears the present, where there are fewer such references. Xe steps out for a long pint, and suddenly, several mips pass or the blitz is abandoned. Ah well.'

Lunar eclipse stuff--the first totality since the time of Time. I saw two of the four in that tetrad, I think.

And the thread returns to its usual tree-ness. Stay molpish, xuys, and keep Waiting For It.
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
addams wrote:(it is, just, a BackPack)

I can understand your sentiment. I've been somewhat emotionally attached to a briefcase which has accompanied me through three years of school, later university and finally professional life. I used it literally on every single working day I left the house. Over time latches broke, hinges weakened and finally the handle broke in a way that could not be repaired. After 31 years of service I was forced to buy myself a new one. The company still exists and they are selling a somewhat similar model, which I bought. It is a fine briefcase, but it's not the same.

The BackPack has been Saved!
Let there be Dancing in the Thread!
Spoiler:
I washed it in a machine with loads of water, laundry detergent
and a dash of Awesome, (a mild powered hydrogen peroxide).

It worked wonders!
It looks and smells good.

I caught it before any damage was done to the fabric. (phew)

In praise of a faithful inanimate object.
Spoiler:
This BackPack is much too functional to throw away.
This pack is better than anything they are offering for sale, on line.

This pack has both a waist strap and sternum strap.
Over long distances, each strap is important.
I'd not like to do without either one.
Thank you, for understanding.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

yappobiscuits

Re: WHAT! NO, NOT THE TARDIS _PROBE_!

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And now I want to share something I promised to share some Time ago, something that made me squee:
Yes, it's a CD from the Bard of the OTT himself, along with a molpish note with a spoiler. Squeee!!!
Warning: This CD is not for everyone. Don't buy it unless you enjoy wingish, evocative, lush music that is beautifully performed and produced. :) It's brought me comfort during my recent extended period on the Outside.

Yay, glad it reached you molpishly and fairly raptorishly! Still a few copies left if anymolpy still wants one! And indeed, if you do order one you'll also get a handwritten note especially for you filled with molpish redundancy! Image
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Re: 44: Raftcastle Without

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:12 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Also, I used to play (and still do sometimes) the Orbiter hotdog a lot, which has a similarly steep learning curve. Never tried KSP, because I don't like actually spending money on hotdogs.

KSP has a free demo, which I tried after becoming curious about the alt-text from one of the Othercomics. Perhaps two hours later I bought the full version; I was hooked. It remains the only hotdog I have spent money on, but it was worth every penny.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Link

1190: "Time": IMMA CHARGIN MAH HERESY

Postby Link » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:19 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
XUY PAGE
Treeish!

balthasar_s wrote:
The number of STAFs is increasing.
The Bot ApOTTcalypse is upon us! (Rejoice!)

Boababs, @thunk has passed the point where I joined the OTT. That means I can read her blitzreports without m*starding my futureschizoblitz Timeline. *Reads blitzpost.*
thunk wrote:
IX. The City of Cleveland, Ohio shall have all the old Liberties and Customs which it hath been used to have...
--the Molpy Carta (NP 1297 edition).

1898/2493 pages read (76.13%)
49.5 dips taken

Spoiler:
We begin first in the aftermath of the Sadness. The event (covered in the previous update), exposed the divisions between the OTT and the fora, but that itself led to molpishness, as OTTers went to Otherthreads, and residents of Otherthreads did likewise. In the latter category, SecondTalon drops in and commends our effort at cataloguing the Furious Doodling of 2014-- we got 54% of the filters, better than the average of 30-40%.

And it's pretty obvious that one person's cult is another's community now, after the incident of last update. That term is really a snarl-word that hinders the amity and good relations experienced now by this community, and adds to the ill-consideredness of what I had said in the previous update--many of the things I had mentioned about the OTT were blown way out of proportion. Once again, I apologize.

[snip]
Spoilered because it's a reply to spoilered content:
Spoiler:
No need to apologise, I'd say. Reading backOops on the aftermath of the s**dness, the things that were discussed were pretty much the points that you raised earlier. The fact that I'd more or less forgotten about that whole discussion taking place after the s**dness is, in my opinion, just a sign that it bears repeating from Time to Time. :)

Glad you like AUTOMOME, by the way.

Not quite PanicAnd once again reading a few oldpages has made a newpix go *poof*. This needle-pulled thing is so easy to get lost in!

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Unproductive Time"

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Even now, for example, "gamers" are frequently looked down upon by "non-gamers" as wasting their time / being unproductive/lazy / being less contributive to society in general.
I consider myself to be a gamer at heart, but I no longer have opportunity to indulge, as my parents now see gaming in all those negative ways. And I can't really see that they're exactly wrong about it, but that doesn't stop me from wishing I could play.

Just point them in the direction of AGDQ to show that gaming can indeed be a force for good in the world.

Context: AGDQ / "Awesome Games Done Quick" and its sister event, SGDQ / "Summer Games Done Quick" are annual gaming charity events where games are speedrun live in order to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, using various dontation incentives (ranging from "Donate for your favourite savefile name from this list" to "Donate for your favourite option for the speedrunner to take: Path X (faster, lower total time) or Path Y (slower, more entertaining) through the game". I will eventually go to one of these events, once my little ones aren't so little anymore and the family could stand to be without me for a couple of weeks. It'll be a few years yet! In the meantime, I'll watch the event recordings on YouTube.

Further context: Every year, they aim to raise no less than one million dollars per event for the PCF. If that isn't Good with a capital G, then I don't know what is.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

by one Sandcastle Builder in a thousand and eleven little rectangles personified."

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

lmjb1964

CEILING BUNGALOW IS WATCHING YOU POST

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 am UTC

This RELATED ad showed up next to my inbox:
I don't really have anything clever to say about it, sorry.
Spoiler:
ketchups.jpg

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

MistyCat

Re: CEILING BUNGALOW IS WATCHING YOU POST

Postby MistyCat » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:21 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:This RELATED ad showed up next to my inbox:
I don't really have anything clever to say about it, sorry.
Spoiler:
ketchups.jpg

Condiment shlondiment
Get to know Ketchup?
Mustard is better?
What's happ'ning here?

Surely the battle of
Ketchup and Mustard
Has one clear winner. It's
Spoiler:
Both lose. Drink beer.
ETA
Spoiler:
I will not post unless sober.
Last edited by MistyCat on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”