1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

ggh wrote: My question should have been: what causes a Beanie to hit the space bar?
A long stressful day in orbit?

ggh wrote:One of the coolish things about lojban is that there's a marker for figurative stuff
But lojban is not a human language (in the sense that it evolved naturally from human loqution). It's more of a computer language that is designed to express what humans like to talk about. It's a syntactically unambiguous language, which means there's no use for a punsaw. And that's fatal.

ggh wrote:Yeah, I'm fine with fitting a plane to two points.
That we can certainly do.

ggh wrote:...suggests a plausible meaning...
My TA has interesting mustard. It's a lapleopard, and i have an external monitor attached (which I'm using instead of the built-in screen), but sometimes the letters and colors come out all wrong. Scrolling sometimes fixes this and then breaks it again, alternating for each tic of the mouse wheel. In this particular case, the letter 'b' is simply not rendered once in that particular phrase (but nowhere else), and it comes out:

...suggests a plausi le meaning...

which I then tried to read as Latin (with a French flavor). "A plausi" must therefore be the Latin OTTish for "contains the seeds of its own justification"), and "le meaning" must be French for "the sens".

Take that, lojban!

Interestingly, reloading the page yields the exact same mustard. This includes reloading it in a different tab (but not loading the page in a different browser). Also, using Ctrl-+ to change the text size renders the letter, and using Ctrl-- to change it back un-renders it.

ggh wrote:My hope is that each of the symbols is a meanord.
Be careful what you hope for. Can you imagine the sheer number of symbols that would be needed for this to work?

Edit: This makes me Pope of NP2503. I therefore do decree that we come up with multiple incompatible but self-consistent Beanish dialects. Then confuse everyone by holding each of them to be the One True Beanish.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:44 pm UTC

[blindpost=NP2389]

ZoomanSP wrote:Current OtherComic.

I kept adding those links for the convenience of blitzers and ketchuppers, as well as out of a certain sense of tradition. Let me know if you feel like we don't need them.

ETA:
Decree: See above, or continue to speculate about the ONGs.
I quite like them, and have been meaning to thank you for diligently announcing them as you have been. They provide somewhat of a rhythm as to how quickly the OTT was moving at that point in time (much more easily than just telling myself to keep track of the datesH of the posts while I read them). And, since I got into the habit of reading OtherComics only when reaching the point where they were discussed in the OTT (a habit that started fairly early before I was ever away from the Present the first time, due to our habit of showing how everything is RELATED), every time I am basemented I forget to add the OtherComics to my list of OtherOtherComics that I read almost every mornip, and it's molpish to still have that reminder to go read them, even if the amount of discussion on each OtherComic has reduced as the OTT has slowed.

[/blindpost]
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:even if the amount of discussion on each OtherComic has reduced moved over to the relevant OtherThread as the OTT has slowed.

FTFY. Why can I smell chocolate?
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
ucim wrote:
ggh wrote: I'm not even sure water is water - I was leaning towards "imbibe" for quite a while.
Do you accept the axiom of choice? Given the corpus we have, I'm not convinced we could rule either one out. And the way language evolves, it could mean both. Consider the English word "drink". There's a verb (to imbibe liquid), the same verb in the command form, the noun for the liquid being imbibed, a specific type of liquid for imbibing (alcoholic is understood), and by extension, the entire sea (or any large body of water into which one might fall) is called the drink. One can drink in a view; liquid is not involved. And certainly we all drink from the One True Thread.

One could think of "drink" as "a word whose meaning is context dependent", but I prefer to think that there are many words, each with their own context-independent meaning, all represented by the same sound and orthography. But either way, the point is that a set of space-separated Beanish glyphs cannot necessarily be considered to "mean" the same thing in each panel in which it is used.

Not if Beanish is an entire language.
Yeah... about that....
So, it had been kinda distracting me that the word for water was so similar to the word for the leader/scholar. People imbibe books, and yes, we drink from the thread.

There's that 2 on the door and I thought maybe that might mean in (file that one under Interesting Mistaken Discoveries) and the chair before panther salve is often guessed to be bring me and the flats appear in places that seem reasonable for you. So, I started thinking that that water word could be bring in you (?? - i dunno... wet stuff? something more general?) - that would be like drink, no? And then the base of the leader word would be bring in (?? - i still dunno) but with the little high cup diacritic. One of the coolish things about lojban is that there's a marker for figurative stuff - for example, tuple is defined: x1 is a/the leg [body-part] of x2; [metaphor: supporting branch]. Maybe that diacritic is the figurative marker?

I know - I'm going out on a leg there. I didn't say it was a good theory. I said it was a pet theory.

Why is "water" like "leader/scholar"? Many words in English are similar to each other despite having no connection. For example, with no knowledge of English, or the Latin alphabet, you might conclude from looking at them that the word "water" is similar to the word "worker".

Or possibly GLR was giving us clues with Megball's dialogue? The sea is big, and "does what it wants." Or, perhaps, a big thing "probably knows what it's doing." Perhaps one of these was intended as a clue towards Beanish?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

HES wrote:
macraw83 wrote:even if the amount of discussion on each OtherComic has reduced moved over to the relevant OtherThread as the OTT has slowed.

I don't know.
Why can you smell chocolate?
oh, ...
Spoiler:
Chocolate must be a Time word for something completely unrelated.
chattering
Spoiler:
I sleep a lot.
The World, The xkcd Comic and Time go on while I sleep.
I looked at the other xkcd Comic.

I felt Happy.
There are so Many! I've not read.
Like finding a new book by a favored author.

I felt Sad.
Every book has a last page.
Time, The xkcd Comic and We all slow down.

I hope you don't Stop before I do.
I'd miss you.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

Nice story ED!

I especially liked the window you gave into the culture of religious conservatives--it's one that's utterly alien to me, and a bit scary too.

Also is it bad that I'm already shipping the main characters?
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

HES wrote:

I don't know why you smell chocolate, but I smelled a quote :wink:

I was referring to the talk of how it is RELATED to the OT[CT], which has (by NP2389) essentially boiled down to the occasional mention and/or OTTercomicification. But your point is valid, I think all the way up until Landing we would tend to have our own discussions in the OTT about certain OtherComics, RELATEDness not required, which may have been caused by the mods urging us to keep the Landing discussion in the relevant OtherThread.

Also, addams, I believe that HES was pointing out the Heresy of suggesting that OtherThreads may be more relevant than the OTT, which is usually punishable by chocolate (or the comfy chair). Unless it has gained new meaning in the last 100+ NP, which knowing the OTT wouldn't be too unusual :D

*Disappears back into the Past*

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2607

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

WAYFARUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PONY, I'VE GOT A FEELING WE'RE NOT AT R.A.Z.O.R. ANYMORE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
Also, addams, I believe that HES was pointing out the Heresy of suggesting that OtherThreads may be more relevant than the OTT, which is usually punishable by chocolate (or the comfy chair). Unless it has gained new meaning in the last 100+ NP, which knowing the OTT wouldn't be too unusual :D

Heresy is punished by chocolate and/or the comfy chair??

...Ohhhh.... Thank you.
It's good to know.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:20 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Volume 2! (Torgos is the name of my DnD character I posted the previous Goblin-oriented story about. I'm going to retroedit my first DnD post to be titled this as well, for consistency and great justice.)
Wow - so that was... that was... that was... aaaaaaa! leeches! Even the little ones freak me out. I'm vaguely aware that there's probably a "correct" way to remove them, but whenever I've been faced with the situation, it's just been frantic flailing and slapping all the way.

Can you explain what you are a little more? I was imagining you to be like a dude - a young gandalf or something - but you have scales?

"A young Gandalf" is actually not a bad description of what I was aiming for. Imagine a standard-height human wizard who essentially has blue dragon scales instead of ordinary skin, due to draconic lineage. Has other advantages such as being able to breathe lightning much like a full-size blue dragon, and resistance to electrical damage (not that it did me much good, as you saw). Apart from those districtive features, I'm essentially a standard Transmuter Wizard character, dressed in dusty orange robes (as per this Icewind Dale portrait, my character is this guy, just imagine him with blue scales):

Volume 3 will be incoming soon.

Redundant
Spoiler:
Wizard.jpg
He's a wizard, Harry!
Wizard.jpg (24.08 KiB) Viewed 13272 times
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 pm UTC

For decree: um, those triangles and squares and circles are pigeon Beanish and have actual meanings. This is how the carrier pigeons communicate. The Beanish pigeons.

ucim wrote:
thunk wrote:Hence why most linguists think in terms of morphemes (fundamental units of meaning).
Yes, but many words contain several morphemes meanords (the root part, and parts depicting conjugation, declension, compound constructions), and in any case, what we are given in Beanish is presumably-pronouncable space-separated glyph-globs. To wit - words, sort-of.
So you're saying that words are also Timey-Wimey and do what they want? (Or something else that makes more sense...)

ggh wrote:Maybe that diacritic is the figurative marker?
I can see that as useful. I was looking over the words again and wondering if they were vowels but that just doesn't work with the single letter "consonants" (plus all of tresoldi's work). That there's a way to mark a "letter" as figurative or literal or (I don't know what the other two would be for) would be neat.

ggh wrote:My hope is that each of the symbols is a meanord. That would make the panther salve something described by 11 meanords. Seems like we'll know what's in it once we can read. :)
(I'm not a linguist either....) I love how you used meanord: "11 meanords". hehe. Were you saying that it could basically be an ingredient list? If you were or weren't, that's a possibility.

addams wrote:
ucim wrote:Love your Evee story addams! (Although I do keep wanting to read the name as "Evil")
Yes. The eye does play that 'trick''.
I've changed it.

You changed it to what my mind wanted it to be. Evee is a pokemon who can evolve into the most number of different pokemon...
I mean, thanks for the story. I was confused at first, but then I realized you were following the decree...somehow using new math. lol

ED, interesting story so far. I'm only up to section 1 of what you posted.
thunk wrote:Also is it bad that I'm already shipping the main characters?
I had to stop myself from doing something like that...

HES wrote:

Oh, that's good to know. But, there's much higher risk of risk out there... lol.
macraw83, thanks for clarifying that. I liked when we attempted to make/see any of the AuthorComics as related to Time. Just because it's an xkcd comic doesn't mean our discussion belongs in those threads, just like if we bring up Beanies doesn't mean we should be discussing that in a Fashion forum thread. We don't RELATE Time to the comics over in those threads, do we? Because we need to bring that back here, then.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 am UTC

ED, I am really enjoying your story so far! I will

Spoiler:

patiently.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 3

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:27 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Volume 3! The theme of today's story is the chanting of "TPK! TPK! TPK!" (which stands for "Total Party Kill", where everyone in the current party is dead / incapacitated).

<- Volume 2

Spoiler:
Torgos has just been rescued from Leachzor the Legginator, having been on the verge of Helpless Death By Electrified Drowning, and also having taken a hefty Constitution hit as a result of severe blood loss. He's understandably now quite shaken and risk-averse, and immediately casts Mage Armor on himself to boost his Armor Class up (from 12 base to 15 effective, due to his +2 Dex modifier). He's also got other offensive spells at the ready in case something else decides that it wants The Swamp-Drenched Wizard as a softened-up main course today.

Continuing through the eerily-silent swamp, the party comes across a quite large and fairly hollowed-out tree, still very much alive. (Much like the pub inside the baobab, as chance would have it.) The whole place feels... tingly. Alive. Detect Magic spells cast by other party members cause the entire tree to light up like Times Square, and our Paladin can smell the reek of necromantic magics pervading it. This tree is much too large to be sustaining itself without assistance, and it seems (without further solid evidence to go on) that this tree may be the worship object of a long-running cult who make regular sacrafices to it. It has words / characters carved into it a long way up, but these are not readable as they were carved in when the tree was much smaller - The reason of course is that as the tree has grown, the carvings have become stretched and twisted over time. While interesting, they don't provide any useful information. The Paladin discusses the option of tearing down this abomination of a tree and burning it, but he's convinced not to (yet, at least, although I note to myself that the suggestion is a good one for future investigation) because its worshippers are currently unknown to us, may be numerous, high-levelled or both, and just might take offence to such an act against their object of affection.

Within the bounds of the tree itself are a few rooms, showing signs of having been abandoned for a significant amount of time. The dust on the floor is undisturbed, the dust on the shelves, tables etc shows no recent activity. Various Perception checks all turn up with nothing of use, regardless of the rolls involved. Just like the carvings, while interesting, the rooms don't provide any useful insights into why this place has that tingly feel about it. The books that are sitting around are so aged and environmentally-moistened that they crumble when handled. The only real item of use to be found is a wand with a finger-bone attached to the end of it, but without the components for an Identify spell being available to me at the moment (a pearl worth 100GP), we can only tell that its basic properties are the same as something I already carry: A "Wand of Warmage", which gives +1 bonuses to spell rolls and damage. The finger attached to it, and the location it was found in, suggest that it will have either Raise Dead or Raise Undead properties (if Raise Undead, the Paladin will most certainly attempt to destroy it), but that will need to wait until we get back to town to find out. An unusual lapse on Torgos's part, to not have the components available for such a useful spell! The Dragonborn Sorceror takes possession of this wand, so he and I now both have one. (While I'm unsure if the bonuses would stack, I doubt it, and it's better to have two casters with a bonus than one with a slightly bigger bonus in my opinion.)

Our journey continues until we reach a cave in the side of a sheer-drop cliff, with a rocky path cut into the wall leading down to it. Our Rogue character decides to become one with the foliage and, with the aid of an Invisibility spell from the Sorceror as well as a very high Stealth check roll (he's covered in moss, vines, mud and filth; I imagine that even without the Invisibility, a roll higher than a 3 would be a success), he proceeds in utter silence to the mouth of the cave and looks in. There is zero evidence of any activity within sight range in the cave. No movement, no torches, no sounds. With this in mind, we all proceed to the mouth of the cave and have a look for ourselves.

Within the cave, the layout is a sort of "+" shape. The entrance we came in is at the south end of it; the north end has a quite large pyramid-shape mound of earth, and the arms of the + seem to lead to other rooms / areas, the details of which are too far away to make out (and possibly around corners). After these observations the GM asks what we'd like to do. Torgos decides that "Since I'm a squishy Wizard who recently had a spot of tea with Death, I'm going to remain at the mouth of the cave, concealed if possible, observing in case things go downhill and I can assist with well-placed Magic Missiles". The Rogue thinks investigating the left arm of the + could be interesting, and the others run onto the mound to get a height advantage for a better view.

That was a mistake. The GM asks them to throw Will saves, and only the Paladin makes his save, but can still hear... suggestive whispers in his head. The others all get an incredibly reasonable and sensible idea at the same time: Why not shank, murder and destroy EVERYONE ELSE? What have they done for YOU lately? There's treasure here, oh yes, all for the taking, and it's just these other slackers in the way of you taking it all!

Thus starts quite an impressive melee, with spells and weapon swings going every which way between those on the mound. The two of us who aren't on it can only watch as they belt the stuffing out of each other (it turns out that Shocking Grasp is VERY effective on you if you're wearing conductive armor!). After a few rounds of combat in which they get knocked to 0 HP, raised with a potion (or in one case, a Lay On Hands), fail their Will save and instantly attack as a "thank you", the Sorceror makes a Will save and the voices in his head fade, and the Paladin is able to yell "He's been possessed!" and point at the other... who then drops both of them with attacks. A Magic Missile from me fails to do sufficient damage to put him down again (he's the one who got the LOH), likewise with an attack from the only other unaffected character, who also gets smacked down. (Cue the OOC chants of "TPK! TPK!" from players such as the Sorceror.) A final Scorching Ray from me, and with the running theme of the night, I get very high damage rolls and finally peace reigns supreme.

I cast Protection From Evil on myself so the voices won't affect me, cast it on the other character who wasn't on the mound, after a successful Medicine check to assist him back to his feet. We stabilise the Paladin, then hog-tie and healing potion the LOH'd character who then succeeds in his Will save (finally!), and drag everyone off the mound and back to a more normal section of the cave near the entrance. Thus it was that Torgos prevented what would otherwise have almost certainly been a TPK (imagine how long I'd last against those melee characters, one of whom wields a Greataxe, if I went with them to the mound and ended up in the thick of it!) and gained sufficient EXP from the experience that I went up to Level 4!

Thus ended the session, with me having gone from Saved to Saviour in quite a short space of time, and the Luck Rollercoaster I'm apparently riding proves that it's just getting started. Apologies if the descriptions are unclear; I'm typing from memory of the session from nearly a week ago, and can't quite remember the exact classes of all involved.

-> Volume 4
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:04 am UTC

azule wrote:So you're saying that words are also Timey-Wimey and do what they want?
I wasn't saying that, but I will. Words change and evolve (at least if you let them; some cultures have a Word Czar that decides what words mean, but others (like English) are seaish in that regard. We don't know which one Beanish is.

What I was saying related to words like "telephone" (two meanords), "green" (one meanord), "ended" (two meanords), "fell" (one meanord, but only because it's irregular), and also consider how often we ask "is {whatever} one word or two?". Car wreck vs shipwreck. English meanords are more like fermions, and German meanords are more like bosons.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:04 am UTC

ucim wrote:
azule wrote:So you're saying that words are also Timey-Wimey and do what they want?
I wasn't saying that, but I will. Words change and evolve (at least if you let them; some cultures have a Word Czar that decides what words mean, but others (like English) are seaish in that regard. We don't know which one Beanish is.

What I was saying related to words like "telephone" (two meanords), "green" (one meanord), "ended" (two meanords), "fell" (one meanord, but only because it's irregular), and also consider how often we ask "is {whatever} one word or two?". Car wreck vs shipwreck. English meanords are more like fermions, and German meanords are more like bosons.

Jose

Cargo is taken by ship, shipments are taken by car. Except when a shipment is currently on a ship, and is therefore cargo. Once it leaves the ship, it loses its cargoness.

But what happens if the shipment is contained within a car on a ship? Is it a shipment that is within cargo but is not itself cargo per se? :shock:

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to do more writing..."

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:15 am UTC

Neat story, Gingercat!

Many yips ago, a friend shared the story of a sci-fi themed campaign he played, in which one of his teammates had some kind of weapon (I think a plasma gun) which he dubbed 'Lockpick', on account of regularly using it to blast open doors, to the consternation of the GM. So at one point while deep in the facility they were exploring, the wielder of Lockpick came across a large and heavy door with a wavy symbol on it. He stated his intention to open this door with Lockpick. The GM told him to make an intelligence check. He failed.

A seaish (perhaps close to zanclean) wave of water was released, since on the other side of the door was a reservoir. Ouch.
Gingercat wrote:Cargo is taken by ship, shipments are taken by car. Except when a shipment is currently on a ship, and is therefore cargo. Once it leaves the ship, it loses its cargoness.

But what happens if the shipment is contained within a car on a ship? Is it a shipment that is within cargo but is not itself cargo per se? :shock:
What if you drive the car on a parkway, and then park it on a driveway?
taixzo wrote:ED, I am really enjoying your story so far! I will

Spoiler:

patiently.
Thanks! *clickety-clickety-clickety* ch*rp!
thunk wrote:Nice story ED!

I especially liked the window you gave into the culture of religious conservatives--it's one that's utterly alien to me, and a bit scary too.

Also is it bad that I'm already shipping the main characters?
You're welcome! Unfortunately there's a lot of inspiration in the world. There's people in worse situations right now.
I suppose that means the characters have good chemistry, which probably means I wrote them well. I hope. And I know better than to get in the way of shippers.

@Jose
sorry the character names cause some confusion. Maybe having both Charity and Chastity was a bad idea, though Chastity is barely mentioned.
This was inspired by some real life families :S
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time to do more writing..."

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Neat story, Gingercat!

Many yips ago, a friend shared the story of a sci-fi themed campaign he played, in which one of his teammates had some kind of weapon (I think a plasma gun) which he dubbed 'Lockpick', on account of regularly using it to blast open doors, to the consternation of the GM. So at one point while deep in the facility they were exploring, the wielder of Lockpick came across a large and heavy door with a wavy symbol on it. He stated his intention to open this door with Lockpick. The GM told him to make an intelligence check. He failed.

A seaish (perhaps close to zanclean) wave of water was released, since on the other side of the door was a reservoir. Ouch.

That's hilarious, and something I might have to suggest as an aside to our GM. I believe he would find that quite entertaining.

Eternal Density wrote:What if you drive the car on a parkway, and then park it on a driveway?

Who's to say that there isn't a parkway on the ship, with a driveway built into it, that the car is currently parked on?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:50 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:Cargo is taken by ship, shipments are taken by car. Except when a shipment is currently on a ship, and is therefore cargo. Once it leaves the ship, it loses its cargoness.

Ship cargo could be abbreviated as s. cargo. Ship cargo could be cars...um, car go? I'm not a pun-master yet.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:33 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote: My question should have been: what causes a Beanie to hit the space bar?
A long stressful day in orbit?
Ha!
I'm putting drinking on my list of things to try regarding Beanish.

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:One of the coolish things about lojban is that there's a marker for figurative stuff
But lojban is not a human language (in the sense that it evolved naturally from human loqution). It's more of a computer language that is designed to express what humans like to talk about. It's a syntactically unambiguous language, which means there's no use for a punsaw. And that's fatal.
Not so fast! The reports say they worked puns into the lojban translation of Alice In Wonderland. If you ever learned lojban, Jose, I'm sure they'd have to come up with a new gismu: punso - x1 punsaws x2 for wordplay x3, by method x4.

To be clear, I don't know Lojban. Every thing I say about it is from secondhand sources on the internet. Not being a natural human language is a big minus, but in 11000 years... post-singularity... yeah, it's still a big minus. On the plus side though, if we're aiming for something that's “as different from [English] as our language is from Linear A,” there are some lojban fans out there who feel that it is much less a "re-coding" of other languages than, er, other languages. Hmm, there was a better way to say that.

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:...suggests a plausible meaning...
My TA has interesting mustard. It's a lapleopard, and i have an external monitor attached (which I'm using instead of the built-in screen), but sometimes the letters and colors come out all wrong. Scrolling sometimes fixes this and then breaks it again, alternating for each tic of the mouse wheel. In this particular case, the letter 'b' is simply not rendered once in that particular phrase (but nowhere else), and it comes out:

...suggests a plausi le meaning...

which I then tried to read as Latin (with a French flavor). "A plausi" must therefore be the Latin OTTish for "contains the seeds of its own justification"), and "le meaning" must be French for "the sens".
I don't mind so much when you point out that I'm talking mustard, Jose, but if your leopard starts calling me out on it too, I might have to ship it a bobcat.

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:My hope is that each of the symbols is a meanord.
Be careful what you hope for. Can you imagine the sheer number of symbols that would be needed for this to work?[/size]
Lojban gets by with 1500. :)
If we upgoer-5-ed it, 100? Add a couple of symbols to what we've got, multiply by 4 for rotations and we're there! I don't know.... Is it outlandish? Yeah, it might be.... I might need a little Time to give up on it though.

macraw83 wrote:
[blindpost=NP2389]
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=37642
I'm kinda just quoting you to say hi. :)

Also I wanted to commend you on your dedicated onlineness:
Spoiler:

taixzo wrote:Why is "water" like "leader/scholar"? Many words in English are similar to each other despite having no connection. For example, with no knowledge of English, or the Latin alphabet, you might conclude from looking at them that the word "water" is similar to the word "worker".
I'm hoping that the symbols are more than just letters, but no, I don't have real justification for that. I can think of two possible evidences, but they're both pretty weak: 1) if those are letters, Beanies don't talk much, and 2) some symbols seem to be attached to some activities. The best example of that in my mind is how Image and Image tend to be associated with each other (giggle) and with movement from one place to another, whilst appearing in a number of different "words".

I also want to check out more "lettery" solutions. The symbol-as-meanord thing seems more promising to me at the moment, but if that ain't the way it were writ, I/we won't be gettin' anywhere with it.

taixzo wrote:Or possibly GLR was giving us clues with Megball's dialogue? The sea is big, and "does what it wants." Or, perhaps, a big thing "probably knows what it's doing." Perhaps one of these was intended as a clue towards Beanish?
Ooh, so maybe the Beanies said things that were fed to us in the Cuegan dialogue? I hadn't considered that....

azule wrote:For decree: um, those triangles and squares and circles are pigeon Beanish and have actual meanings. This is how the carrier pigeons communicate. The Beanish pigeons.
ImageImageImage

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:Maybe that diacritic is the figurative marker?
I can see that as useful. I was looking over the words again and wondering if they were vowels but that just doesn't work with the single letter "consonants" (plus all of tresoldi's work). That there's a way to mark a "letter" as figurative or literal or (I don't know what the other two would be for) would be neat.
Another thing that's interesting about that diacritic is that it's all over Rosetta's please-be-patient speech:

Is "please" a metaphor? I think that would be stretching it. Also, in lojban, please is pe'u, whilst the figurative marker is pe'a, but frankly, even I'm willing to chalk that up to coincidence. I do think that symbol in that newpix is supposed to be some kind of hint though. Ideas?

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:My hope is that each of the symbols is a meanord. That would make the panther salve something described by 11 meanords. Seems like we'll know what's in it once we can read. :)
(I'm not a linguist either....) I love how you used meanord: "11 meanords". hehe. Were you saying that it could basically be an ingredient list? If you were or weren't, that's a possibility.
Sure, why not? I was more envisioning a "strength-bringing-to-injured-bodies spikey-hard-plant-fruit kind of thing, but since I don't have any reason to favour medicinal pineapple over anything else it might be, that's just a wild guess/flippant example.

Gingercat wrote:Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Volume 3! The theme of today's story is the chanting of "TPK! TPK! TPK!" (which stands for "Total Party Kill", where everyone in the current party is dead / incapacitated).
He's also got other offensive spells at the ready in case something else decides that it wants The Swamp-Drenched Wizard as a softened-up main course today.
I do like how you turn a phrase. :)

ucim wrote:What I was saying related to words like "telephone" (two meanords), "green" (one meanord), "ended" (two meanords), "fell" (one meanord, but only because it's irregular), and also consider how often we ask "is {whatever} one word or two?". Car wreck vs shipwreck. English meanords are more like fermions, and German meanords are more like bosons.
I am so not the target audience of that explanation. :P

Alright - what's been going on in here since I started this post? You crazy kids! I'll show you a car go.

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 9.40.15 PM.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:11 am UTC

I am having an unmolpish day.

Spoiler:
Waiting for it is considerably less fun when "it" is the emergency panther salve appointment for the tooth which completely prevented even the slightest hint of coma last night.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:19 am UTC

addams wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

Heresy is punished by chocolate and/or the comfy chair??

...Ohhhh.... Thank you.
It's good to know.

This is the reason for the Comfy Chair
AFAIK the chocolate is either intended for drowning in or being pelted with, in the form of M&M's (or rather S&M's if the victim enjoys being pelted), instead of the traditional stoning.
We also have the Foam Maiden. Much nicer than the old Iron one.
And some people have been served burned steak instead of being burned at the stake.
Did I miss anything?
(I am the official High Inquisitor.)

HES wrote:I am having an unmolpish day.

Spoiler:
Waiting for it is considerably less fun when "it" is the emergency panther salve appointment for the tooth which completely prevented even the slightest hint of coma last night.

That sucks. I hope you get well soon!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1400

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:00 am UTC

THIS PASTPAGE IS TOO CH*RPUNG HIGH -- ongomome
Spoiler:
The end.

Did you notice …
… t** **d?Redundant:
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:03 am UTC

Spoiler:
Have you tried the ice cube on the thumb web trick?

Also, often slathering a crook tooth with baking soda has helped me.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "RunTime"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

A Storm of Steel and Steam: Book One: Chaos of the Mage Stones

Chapter Two:
Spoiler:
In Which Charity is Discovered

It was half past eleven when Father and Charity arrived at the place of sacrifice, which was the bakery in the centre of town. The shop was lit up with festive lanterns, and the large wooden tables were piled with freshly baked goods. Clearly, the baker and his family had put in many extra hours of work.

“Why the bakery, Father?” Charity asked as they hung up their travel cloaks in the entrance.

“It has the most suitable oven,” Father said shortly.

“Oven? The witch is to be sacrificed in an oven meant for food?”

“The oven will be properly cleansed with fire, over the next days.” Father gestured to onc of the tables of food. “Thus the extra bounty that has been prepared for all beforehand. Enough questions, I have important matters to attend to.” He strode over to a cluster of heads of houshold, and joined their conversation.

Charity had no need to listen to them congratulate Father for capturing the witch, and instead looked around the room to gauge the composition of the crowd. There were about thirty men, a few of whom were clerics, talking heartily about important matters in small groups. Many were locals who lived either in town or on surrounding farms, but there were some she did not recognise, who had to be visitors from nearby towns. There was a lesser number of wives, arranged in larger groups and keeping their conversations properly subdued. A few young men stood by their fathers, and some maidens attended their mothers, though a greater number were occupied carrying plates laden with treats from the tables or mugs of steaming hot cider.

The door to the kitchen part of the bakery opened, catching Charity's attention. She recognised her friend Abigail, one of the baker's daughters, at about the same moment as Abigail saw her. Abigail beckoned her forward, and hurried to meet her in the middle of the room.

“Charity, you're not a moment too soon. I need someone to trade places with Priscilla out the back. She's at the door to the east storeroom with... one of the out of town girls. Rebeccah, I think. It's a chore to keep track of everything tonight!”

“I imagine it is,” Charity said in understanding. “No problem, I can do it.”

“Make sure you try the cinnamon rolls,” Abigail said as she began piling several of those very items onto a clean plate.

Charity snatched one up as she passed the table. She thought of taking a cream bun also, but she needed a free hand for the doorhandle.

Priscilla was easy enough to find, in spite of the dim candlelight in the back hallway. “Abigail sent...”

“Shh!” interrupted the other maiden, likely named Rebeccah. “Whispers only.”

“Sorry. Abigail sent me to relieve Priscilla. Um, she didn't say what it is you're doing though,” Charity said, whispering as instructed.

“Guarding the door. The you-know-what is in there. Thanks, I've got to go!” Priscilla said, her rapid whispering difficult to follow. The short girl rushed away, walking rather uncomfortably. Charity figured she was headed for the outhouse.

“Why are we whispering?” They were far enough from the storefront of the bakery that they shouldn't be able to disturbe the men by speaking normally.

“The witch might hear us,” Rebeccah said.

“The witch? She's locked in the storeroom? Why should it matter if she can hear us?”

“No idea. Maybe she can curse us from beyond the grave?”

“She doesn't get a grave.”

“Oh. Right.” The maiden, who was taller than both Priscilla and Charity, shrugged.

While Charity had wanted to see Skids again, she'd had no real plan for accomplishing that. Now that she was a single door away from the witch, the thought of actually talking to the strange maiden was extremely uncomfortable. What was she supposed to say? What did she want to say? But none of that mattered, unless she could get rid of Rebeccah.

“Uh, have you tried the cinnamon buns?” she asked, having finished the last of hers.

“Haven't had a chance to eat anything since I got here.”

“Oh. They're really good. If I'd known, I would have brought you one. But if you're hungry, I'm sure I can mind the door myself.”

“No, it's fine. Someone should be along to switch with me soon.”

“Abigail might forget to send someone. She's pretty busy. Um, are you Rebeccah?”

“Me? No, I'm Mary. I switched with Rebeccah”

“See, she lost track of who's out here. For all we know, we'll be out here all night.”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?” Mary asked. Charity thought she sounded suspicious, though the whispering made it hard to tell for sure.

“Of course not, I'm just trying to help.”

“It seems to me that you want to be left alone with the witch,” she accused.

“No!”

“Shh! She'll hear you!”

Charity was sick of whispering. “I really don't think it matters. Besides, wouldn't they have covered her ears if it was important?”

“I don't know. But I do think you're up to no good. You're here to help free her, aren't you?”

“Of course not!” Charity said, hissing in anger. “My own father caught her, and he's going to use the sacrifice to petition the Maker to heal my fever and bless my marriage. I wouldn't dare jeopardize that!”

“I don't believe you,” Mary said, still whispering.

“It's true!” But Charity didn't fully believe herself. While she greatly desired to be healed, and knew that it was proper to burn a witch, a small part of her balked at the thought of being blessed in exchange for Skids' life. She understood the necessity of cleansing fire, but her impression of Skids - as strange as she was - didn't fit with the concept of someone who deserved to be burned to death. Couldn't proper correction and training put her on the correct path? What was it about magic that made a person irredeemable? Charity didn't doubt the truth, but she didn't understand it either.

Mary considered the situation in silence for a while. “No, you're definitely up to something,” she finally said. “Your father ought to be informed.”

“But... but...” Charity couldn't let that happen, but she couldn't find the words to make Mary believe her.

“Although...”

Charity could almost taste the surge of hope that shot through her veins. “What? Although what?”

“Since there's no way you could get that door open, I suppose I could leave off telling anyone. If you owe me a big favour.”

“I'll do anything. Anything!”

“For a start, when Priscilla returns, ask her to find Rebeccah so I can take a break with you.”

“Why don't you switch with Priscilla yourself?”

“And leave her with you? Not happening.”

“I'd never hurt Priscilla!”

“I don't trust you.”

“Fine, but why don't you ask?”

“What part of owing me a favour don't you understand?”

“Alright, I'll do it.”

“Good. So what's this about you getting married?”

“Two months from now. I am to be wed to Timothy Douglas. Have you heard of him?”

“I can't say that I have.”

“He's a butcher, from Deepbloom Creek.”

“Oh, I've never been there.”

“You haven't? It is only two rail stops south of here.”

“I'm from the north. This is my first time this far south. You said you're marrying a butcher? What's he like?”

“Father says he's very hardworkng, and quite the gentleman. Devout too.”

“You haven't met him?”

“No, I have not had occasion to do so. We have a satisfactory butcher here in Forrester's Crossing. But I trust Father to select a good match. He spend many evenings interviewing him, to make sure he is suitable.”

“But if you haven't even met him, you've got no idea whether you'll li...”

“What are you two whispering about?” It was Priscilla, back from her necessary business.

“Shh!”

“Sorry,” Priscilla said, whispering. “And sorry I was away so long, there was a queue.”

“You can make up for it by fetching Rebecca back,” Charity said. “Mary hasn't had anything to eat.”

“Alright, but what were you two talking about?”

“My upcoming marriage, not that it's any business of yours,” Charity told the younger maiden.

“Oh, you're marrying that widower from Deepbloom Creek, right? Is it true that his first wife drowned herself because she...”

“You're too yong for such talk, now go find Rebecca!”

Priscilla hurried away.

“Well?” Mary asked, once we were alone.

“Well what?”

“Is it true?”

“Is what true?”

“He's been married before?”

“Yes, he has, but there's no shame it it. It's not as if he was divorced!”

“No need to get defensive, I was merely asking. You just seem young to be marrying a widower.”

“I'm seventeen! That's old enough to marry!”

“But how much older...” Approaching footsteps cut off the argument.

“Thank you, Priscilla,” Charity said. “And Rebecca.”

“She was easy to find,” Priscilla said. “She...”

“Whispers only,” Mary interrupted. “Unless you see or hear anything strange, then scream for help. And no one opens that door, under any circumstances, got it?” she ordered, using a serious whisper that demanded obedience.

“Got it,” Priscilla and Rebecca echoed, with dutiful nods.

“Good girls.” Mary swept down the dim hallway, with the shorter-legged Charity trailing behind.

“There should be plenty of food left. Warm cider too,” Charity said.

“Sounds great. Grab as much as you can and meet me at the west storeroom,” Mary ordered. “One cider each.”

“Why? What's at the west...”

“You owe me, remember?”

Charity wasn't satisfied with that answer, but she knew she couldn't risk her freedom by breaking the deal. “Fine.”

The hallway took the pair into the kitchen, and they split up, Mary continuing past the ovens to the hallway on the other side of the kitchen, and Charity turning aside to rejoin the crowd. It was a simple matter for her to locate an empty plate, put a pair of mugs in the centre, and surround them with an assortment of buns. No one gave her much attention. As she returned to the kitchen, she noticed clock on the sales counter showed twenty minutes until midnight. At this rate, it was highly unlikely she would see Skids before her final moments.

“Are those for us?” The question was asked by Ruth, a maiden just a little younger than Charity, who was presently guarding the west storeroom beside Mary.

“They're for Charity and me. You can go get your own,” Mary whispered.

“Sorry, I only brought two ciders,” Charity said, figuring that was why Mary had only asked for two. She didn't know why Mary wanted to get rid of Ruth, but she was smart enough to know to play along.

“That's alright, I wasn't done talking with Justine. But you really don't need to whisper. There's nothing in there but sacks of flour and the witch's things.”

“Do you know what magic can and can't do?” Mary asked.

Ruth shrugged. “I'll let you worry about that. Have fun, but don't eat too much. See you at the sacrifice!” she said cheerily.

“I think someone let her have coffee again,” Charity grumbled.

Mary grabbed a cider mug and chugged it all down like she hadn't drunk anything in hours.

Charity sipped at hers much more carefully. “Isn't yours hot?”

“Painfully,” Mary said, stuffing a cream bun in her mouth. “Oooh, this is good!”

“Did you have no dinner?”

“Had to skip it.” She licked her fingers clean. “Ahh, that hit the spot,” she said in satisfaction. “Now, I need to borrow a hairpin.”

“What for? Can't you use one of your own? I don't want my hair hanging out of my bonnet.”

“Neither do I, but I'm not the one who owes a favour.”

“Seems like a lot more than one favour,” Charity said, handing over the requested pin.

“They're small favours. Don't worry, it's almost over.” Mary pulled something out of the pocket of her dress. The candlelight glinted off the sharp edge.

“A knife? Why...”

“Shh!” Mary inserted both the knife and the hairpin into the door's lock. “Let's see if I remember how to do this... no that's not it... steady... there!” She carefully pulled the door open.

Charity stared in shock and horror as Mary used her knife to pry open the crate that sat alone in the middle of the storeroom floor. “You can't open that!”

“Can, and have.”

Charity shied back, crossing her arms in front of her face to protect herself. “Those are dangerous magical items!”

“Calm down, there's nothing dangerous in here,” Mary said, still whispering.

“Then why are we whispering?” Charity hissed back. “I should tell my father! This makes you guilty of witchcraft!”

“That's a real bad idea. You're my accomplice now.”

“You tricked me! And now they'll burn me as a witch! They'll burn us both! This can't be happening to me!” Despite her utter panic, Charity still had the presence of mind to keep whispering.

“Not if we don't get caught,” Mary said, stuffing the contents of the crate into a pair of empty flour bags. She handed one to Charity, who held it away from her body as if it was a venomous snake. Mary quietly shut the storeroom door and popped a sticky-date bun in her mouth. “Mmm!”

Charity continued to regard the bag with horror. “I can't...”

Mary stuffed a cream bun into Charity's mouth. “You really need to relax. There's nothing but clothes in that bag. Just follow me, and everything will be fine.”

Charity wanted to protest, but her mouth was full of cream and jam. Instead, she followed Mary as she walked boldly out the back door and away from the bakery, avoiding passing near the outbuildings. No one stopped them, and soon they were hidden by darkness. They continued on, avoiding any illuminated buildings, until they reached the edge of the city.

Now that they weren't moving, the combination of cold and sheer panic made Charity shiver. “Should have brought coats,” she said, breaking the silence with her softest whisper.

“There's one in your bag.”

“It's a witch's coat!”

“Then I'll wear it, and you can wear two dresses.”

“You would take off your dress?”

“I'll put pants on first, of course. Don't want to freeze any more than I need to.”

Charity reluctantly rummaged in the flour bag for the requested items, steadfastly ignoring the underwear. “Really, you're as brazen as the witch,” she said. Then she realised that she'd just admitted to knowing the witch. But given how witch-like Mary was acting, it probably didn't matter.

It turned out that she was correct, though not for quite the right reason. “Don't be such a prude, Char,” Skids said, dropping the whisper for the first time.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:46 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:sorry the character names cause some confusion.
They didn't cause any confusion; in fact they help eliminate it. I was just amused that they all began with 'C'.

Eternal Density wrote:What if you drive the car on a parkway, and then park it on a driveway?
There's an airport near me where you can get a taxi on the taxiway. To my knowledge, it's the only one.

azule wrote:Ship cargo could be abbreviated as s. cargo.
But then it moves slowly, comes from France, and is quite tasty.

ggh wrote:Not being a natural human language is a big minus
But if you were a natural human, language would be a plus. Naturally. :)

ggh wrote:I don't mind so much when you point out that I'm talking mustard, Jose, but if your leopard starts calling me out on it too, I might have to ship it a bobcat.
Hmmmm. If you ship me a bobcat, I'll probably end up shipping the leopard and the bobcat and getting a lot of bobards. In my mind. Where there's lots of empty space for them.

ggh wrote:I do think that symbol in that newpix is supposed to be some kind of hint though. Ideas?
It occurs to me that one could separate/isolate Rosetta's muddled speech into components based on darkness. I wonder if there's anything hidden therein.

ggh wrote:I am so not the target audience of that explanation. :P
Bosons are social - they like to be in the same (quantum) state. Photons are a good example - it's why lasers work (all the light waves aligning in the same state make a powerful beam). Fermions are antisocial - each (quantum) state can hold only one fermion. Electrons are good examples - chemistry exists because when you put the electrons into atoms, they don't play nicely together. They each have to have their own little footprint, and electron footprints are different from each other, helping atoms to react differently to each other. (All chemistry happens in the (usually outer) electron cloud).

So sorry to hear of your tooth mustard. Take inspiration from the Cuegan though - a keyboard attack can't be too pleasant either, and they still had to climb a mountain afterwards.

Jose

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:15 pm UTC

azule wrote:
HES wrote:

Oh, that's good to know. But, there's much higher risk of risk out there... lol.
macraw83, thanks for clarifying that. I liked when we attempted to make/see any of the AuthorComics as related to Time. Just because it's an xkcd comic doesn't mean our discussion belongs in those threads, just like if we bring up Beanies doesn't mean we should be discussing that in a Fashion forum thread. We don't RELATE Time to the comics over in those threads, do we? Because we need to bring that back here, then.
There was a time when we would discuss more than just the RELATEDness of the OtherComics in the OTT, so it is molpish that a few OTTers have ventured out to share those conversations with the OtherThreads. It would be nice to see a bit more RELATED discussion in the OTT, but if we dissected the OtherComics here fully it would likely drown out the OTT at this point, and there are other places to do that.

ggh wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
[blindpost=NP2389]
I'm kinda just quoting you to say hi. :)
Hi back ggh! Also I've been meaning to tell you I still really appreciate the magghnets, they make me smile every time I see them on the fridge! :)

ggh wrote:Also I wanted to commend you on your dedicated onlineness:
Spoiler:
:shock: Is that something I did?

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Addams wrote:Heresy is punished by chocolate and/or the comfy chair??

...Ohhhh.... Thank you.
It's good to know.

This is the reason for the Comfy Chair
AFAIK the chocolate is either intended for drowning in or being pelted with, in the form of M&M's (or rather S&M's if the victim enjoys being pelted), instead of the traditional stoning.
We also have the Foam Maiden. Much nicer than the old Iron one.
And some people have been served burned steak instead of being burned at the stake.
Did I miss anything?
(I am the official High Inquisitor.)
Much thanks for stepping up and adding the RELATEDness that I had forgotten and/or neglected to add. It's nice to be reminded of the origin of the OTTish that gets thrown around. At some point I need to check out mrob's dictionary, when I'm not fettered by my MFFS.

Also, in between quoteposts I saw that our resident hamply is having tooth problems. Hang in there, I had to get a root canal in a front tooth (long story) a few yips ago, and it was a few dips between when it really started to hurt and when I could get an appointment. Find some pain meds (ibuprofen worked ok for me) and I found that icing the area helped dull the pain a bit. Good luck!

*pops back into the past*

ggh

Re: TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1400

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

All the micromolpies, fever, and discomfort seem to have left me and settled into the Little Wonder. This is not an improvement. D'oh.
Still beats a toothache every day of the week and twice on Sundays though.

SilentTimer wrote:Did you notice …
… t** **d?Redundant:
Those words still scare me. What's next? I'm not sure what to make of this... you're not signing off, are you? There are more Did-you-notices, right?

Eternal Density wrote:A Storm of Steel and Steam: Book One: Chaos of the Mage Stones

Chapter Two:
Bravo, again!
Spoiler:
Okay, so I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't suspect a thing until the clothes were in the flour bags.
Also, I might be shipping too.

ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:sorry the character names cause some confusion.
They didn't cause any confusion; in fact they help eliminate it. I was just amused that they all began with 'C'.
I used to work with a wonderful fellow named Donny. He has 12 brothers and sisters, each with a name that begins with D. Hearing him rattle them all off was a beautiful thing. :)

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Not being a natural human language is a big minus
But if you were a natural human, language would be a plus. Naturally. :)
Okay, that you wouldn't be able to get away with in lojban. :P

ucim wrote:It occurs to me that one could separate/isolate Rosetta's muddled speech into components based on darkness. I wonder if there's anything hidden therein.
Just based on darkness might not work as well as you'd hope. The way the different elements are layered, they combined darkness gets messy much of the time. I'll definitely keep an eye out for places where a "slice" of darkness reveals anything interesting.

I started looking through the Rosetta frames hoping to find more signal, but I haven't really examined most of them yet. Also, it's pretty subjective. More eyes would be welcome.

Signal and noise... in the Rosetta frames, even the noise isn't "noise"; it's interference put there by the OTA. To me, that has the implication that if something appears in her speech that doesn't seem to fit the pattern of his added noise, then it might very well be signal. That's a luxury. But perhaps I'm overstepping. Sometimes the noise is different, and I wonder if it's fair to generalize at all. For instance, a few early frames seem to have white lines added over, like what's going on with this I:

I like to think though that clean-edged stuff is signal though. Sometimes I try to clear away stuff in front of it that makes it harder to see, like in these:
Image->Image->Image

Image->Image

Are these fair enhancements. I don't know.
I don't even know if I'm just letting my imagination run away with me when I look at this:

What I think I'm looking at is
Spoiler:

(At least the first part.)

Oh, and also thanks for the bosom/fermion explanation!

macraw83 wrote:Hi back ggh! Also I've been meaning to tell you I still really appreciate the magghnets, they make me smile every time I see them on the fridge! :)
I'm glad! But I'd be much more contentedly glad if I didn't still have four that I still haven't sent, after having promised to two years ago. :oops: (I'm so sorry about that, you excellent, excellent waiters, you.)

macraw83 wrote:
ggh wrote:Also I wanted to commend you on your dedicated onlineness:
Spoiler:
:shock: Is that something I did?
Heavens, no! Sometimes I have pages that load improperly, and a reload fixes them fine. That was the first time I noticed the neat pattern with the online band though.

rsir:
Spoiler:
2868expanded.png
2868expanded.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2868withoutYou.png
2868withoutYou.png (8.54 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2901diff.png
2901diff.png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2901diffDeOceaned.png
2901diffDeOceaned.png (23.41 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2891expanded.png
2891expanded.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2891withSuggestions.png
2891withSuggestions.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2873showingWhiteLines.png
2873showingWhiteLines.png (13.34 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
2901raw.png
2901raw.png (20.03 KiB) Viewed 12753 times
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2633

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

FINDUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WHATEVER NINJAS YOUR FLUTTERBEES

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:22 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:A Storm of Steel and Steam: Book One: Chaos of the Mage Stones
uh oh... either a new fashion trend is about to begin, or somebody's going to get an unexpected heating.

ggh wrote:I used to work with a wonderful fellow named Donny. He has 12 brothers and sisters, each with a name that begins with D. Hearing him rattle them all off was a beautiful thing. :)
When we went to Ireland, I can remember where we were because it was Ds and Ks: Dublin, Kilkenny, Cashel, Kenmare, Dingle, Doolin, Dublin. I actually remember it being alternating Ds and Ks, but that turns out to not be the case. Apparently I have a case of CRS.

ggh wrote:Are these fair enhancements. I don't know.
What makes an enhancement "fair"? If they help tease stuff out and are entertaining, all's fair in ch*rp and m*stard. :) (Doing an edge enhancement, like the oil slick mountain pictures, might be interesting.)
ggh wrote:What I think I'm looking at is
Brilliant! That might be the... er... "Rosetta stone" the GLR has handed us.

Jose

Link

Postby Link » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Oh, and also thanks for the bosom/fermion explanation!
ggh wrote:
bosom

:azule:

ggh wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Hi back ggh! Also I've been meaning to tell you I still really appreciate the magghnets, they make me smile every time I see them on the fridge! :)
I'm glad! But I'd be much more contentedly glad if I didn't still have four that I still haven't sent, after having promised to two years ago. :oops: (I'm so sorry about that, you excellent, excellent waiters, you.)
Well, I guess since I joined the OTT after T** **D, I have some Waiting to ketchup anyway. The longer the Wait, the greater the reward, I suppose. :) No worries! (Unless you did send mine and it just never arrived, in which case there is a postal service employee somewhere who deserves a good thwapping!)

--

I'm feeling quite epsilon at the moment. Sort of dizzy, and focussing on things (both visually and mentally) takes more effort than usual. It's not unmolpish per se, but just sort of... off. Image The reason I mention this is because it reminds me of how I felt when I first stumbled into the OTT. Of course, that turned out to be a side-effect of experiencing the absence of outsanity for the first Time, similar to Clara in Doctor Who when (actual spoiler here)
Spoiler:
she experiences "life" without an ever-present heartbeat for the first Time.
So yeah, I hope this bout of dizziness turns out to be just as molpish as my first venture into the OTT! Though to be honest, I think the most I can get out of it are some weird comavisions. I guess I'll just take Winston Churchill's advice and keep molping on. :)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I like to think though that clean-edged stuff is signal though. Sometimes I try to clear away stuff in front of it that makes it harder to see, like in these:

Is is just me or does that look like a picture of Rosetta on top of the text?

Link wrote:I'm feeling quite epsilon at the moment. Sort of dizzy, and focussing on things (both visually and mentally) takes more effort than usual. It's not unmolpish per se, but just sort of... off. Image The reason I mention this is because it reminds me of how I felt when I first stumbled into the OTT. Of course, that turned out to be a side-effect of experiencing the absence of outsanity for the first Time, similar to Clara in Doctor Who when (actual spoiler here)
Spoiler:
she experiences "life" without an ever-present heartbeat for the first Time.
So yeah, I hope this bout of dizziness turns out to be just as molpish as my first venture into the OTT! Though to be honest, I think the most I can get out of it are some weird comavisions. I guess I'll just take Winston Churchill's advice and keep molping on. :)

Just a heads up, if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector you should probably get one - if there is a CO leak, those are symptoms of it, and it is something that if not caught could be quite unmolpish.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

Sorry to hear, HES. Hope "it" solves the problem.

ggh wrote:Another thing that's interesting about that diacritic is that it's all over Rosetta's please-be-patient speech:

Is "please" a metaphor? I think that would be stretching it. Also, in lojban, please is pe'u, whilst the figurative marker is pe'a, but frankly, even I'm willing to chalk that up to coincidence. I do think that symbol in that newpix is supposed to be some kind of hint though. Ideas?
First, thanks for the pigeon beanies. That was delightful to see.

Maybe I am blind, but what diacritics are on the word "please". Which letter is it on, and which diacritic is it? Is it the dot? All I see are splotches.

ucim wrote:It occurs to me that one could separate/isolate Rosetta's muddled speech into components based on darkness. I wonder if there's anything hidden therein.
I've tried doing that. The problem is that the darker upper layer will always hide what's below it. Basically you can see the edges more clearly but that's it. If I get time on a real TA loaded with the Time frames I might check it out again, but that's my memory of it.

Careful, Link. Maybe Taixzo is right. Also, Taixzo is right, it does look like a Rosetta outline.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2636

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:10 pm UTC

MOWUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR HATTED WOWTREE

-- posted by oldpixbot

Link

Postby Link » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:25 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Just a heads up, if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector you should probably get one - if there is a CO leak, those are symptoms of it, and it is something that if not caught could be quite unmolpish.
There's a smoke detector here that I *think* is also supposed to do CO. (Not 100% sure about that though.) I think I know the cause though: first my much-needed middip-comaZzzz was brutally interrupted, which made me feel really m*stardy. That m*stardy feeling was mostly a combination of agitation, fatigue and muscle aches (I've been doing some manual labour, which I'm absolutely not used to). To combat the latter, I took a painkiller that may have been a little too heavy-duty. That, combined with the fatigue, can easily put someone in an epsilon state for the rest of the dip. Besides, I'm at my mum's place for a few wips and she doesn't have any symptoms, so it's probably not CO. :)

*snore*I have two months of holidips, so I'm thoroughly yappocised. Although it's not *usually* a problem during holidips, unexpected visitors are generally not aware of it!

thunk

[274061]

Postby thunk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:45 am UTC

Lovely dips of mountain sightseeing I'm having. The holidips are nice, if a bit frustrating with Outside relations.
My rate of understanding things going on in the OTT has plummeted as a result. It'll probably pick back up once I get back to the schizoblitz.
Whatever. There's plenty of Time.

ED: Lovely story chapter 2 there, I've been hooked.
Link: Get better soon.

new edit:

January1may has remembered his OTTer past.
To be fair, we are a good example of internet linguistics.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:31 am UTC

He's a past OTTer? I hope that just means that he's been in the Outside for too long. I read just his comment but I'll have to read the rest for context. But, that's neat. The more spread of "molpy" and other OTTish, the better. :)

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "I Wrote it in Less Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:17 am UTC

A Storm of Steel and Steam: Book One: Chaos of the Mage Stones
Chapter Three:
Spoiler:
In Which Charity is in the Dark

“You... you're... you!”

“Yeah, it's me,” Skids says, as she struggled into her trousers. This was not a simple task, as the only source of illumination was starlight, and they were quite tight.

“You're a witch! I helped a witch.”

“Thanks for that, you made my escape much easier. Can you find me my shirt? Don't bother with the underwear. As uncomfortable as this nonsense they forced me into is, it's too cold to change back.”

“I can never go home again thanks to you, and you want me to look for your shirt?”

Skids grabbed the bag of clothes away from Charity. “Fine, I'll find it myself.”

“You're missing the point here. You ruined my life, Skids. Why? What did I ever do to you?”

“Ruined? Hardly. You were going to marry a man you've never met, who's much older than you, with no say in the matter. And he's a butcher!” Having succeeded in finding the required shirt, she dusted the flour off it and began unbuttoning the dress she'd been forced to borrow.

Charity politely turned away, narrowly missing catching a glimpse of the other maiden's collarbones “What's wrong with butchers?”

“What's wrong with them? They kill animals. For people to cook with fire and eat! That's what's wrong with them!”

“Witches don't eat animals? I would have thought...” Charity was interrupted by a dress landing on her head.

“You don't know much about witches, do you?”

“Of course not!” Charity said after freeing herself. “Forbidden knowledge is... well, forbidden.”

“I'd tell you off for making assumptions, but I'm as much to blame for assuming your people wouldn't burn me alive for asking for help.”

“You were not condemned because you asked for help. You were condemned because you possessed magical items and other unnatural objects,” Charity said, as if it was obvious. She pulled the dress on and pushed her arms into the sleeves. “Ow!”

“What's wrong?”

“I had a splinter in my hand last week. It's still sore.”

“That's no good. I should take a look at it, once we're a bit further from town.” She slipped into her jacket and fastened it tightly, then pulled her gloves on. “We should get moving again. They'll be looking for us soon, if they're not already.” She put on her boots, and helmet, and stuffed the mostly empty flour bags in to top of her backpack. “They'll be looking for three people, not two. I sure fooled everyone with my Mary act, didn't I?”

Charity didn't answer, but instead asked, “Why did you use my middle name?”

“Figured it would fit in better than anything I thought up.” Skids began briskly walking north-east, having been moving roughly north before stopping. The new course would take her towards the woods, though she would reach the edge a fair distance south of where she'd first met Charity, as the Wilison farm was north of Forrester's Crossing.

“How did you even get free? You were tied up and locked in. And guarded.”

“Oh, that reminds me.” Skids reached into the right pocket of Charity's outer dress, and produced the knife and hairpin she'd used to pick the storeroom lock. The former she slipped into her left glove, and the latter she handed back to Charity.

“You keep a knife in your glove?”

“Yeah. The women left my gloves on - think they were afraid of my hands - so I was able to get at the knife and cut myself free. Then I listened at the door until I had a fair idea of what was going on. The way those girls talked made it pretty easy. I already had the perfect disguise, so I waited until there were enough people around to fit in unnoticed.”

“That doesn't explain how you got out of the storeroom. Or why you waited around pretending to guard the door.”

“The windowframe was poorly attached. I managed to pry the window loose enough to escape. Good thing they didn't put me in the other storeroom. That one was better constructed, and I couldn't get at my stuff that way. I figured I couldn't help but stand out in the crowd, so I stayed in the shadows as a door guard. Nearly got caught out by one of those chatterboxes, but I dodged that by coming up with that nonsense about whispering.”

“What would you have done if I hadn't run into you?”

“Not sure. I would have figured something out. It's not the first tight spot I've been in. Though it's the first time someone's tried to burn me. I didn't think those stories could be true. Anyhow, you can be sure as anything that if they'd caught me - which I really doubt - I wouldn't have let them put me in that oven. They'd have to kill me first, and I wouldn't be the first to die.”

“You would kill? Of course you would, you're a witch.”

“Hey, I wouldn't be happy about it, but it beats being set on fire! You'd do the same, if you knew how.”

“I would not,” Charity said firmly. “Killing is evil, and I am not evil.” She paused, considering the day's events. “At least, I thought I wasn't. I didn't meant to be evil. You... you tricked me into it.”

“Cheer up, I don't think you're evil.” Skids rummaged in her backpack and pulled out one of the flour bags. “Here, have a currant bun. It's a bit squashed and a bit floury, but it should help you feel better. You're sounding rather rough.”

“It's the fever,” Charity said, accepting the bun. She'd been trying to ignore the fever, but it was always there. “If you hadn't escaped, it would be gone by now.”

“I still don't understand how that's supposed to work.”

“It's simple. When we do our duty of ridding this world of a witch - or a wizard - the Great Maker grants our petitions.”

“I'm flattered my life is worth so much to you people,” Skids said with biting sarcasm. “Should I be worried you'll set me on fire in my sleep?”

“I'm not a cleric, so I'm not allowed to do that. Besides, I haven't any flint.”

“Flint? Oh, of course you people would use flint.”

“You don't use flint?”

“Of course not. Mages don't use fire. But if we did, we sure wouldn't use flint. We'd use alchemy, or aetherthermics.”

Charity flinched at the names of forbidden arts. “Right, you can't use fire, because it purifies evil.”

“What? Is that what they teach you? We choose not to use fire because it's harmful, and dangerous!”

“To evil!”

“To everything! Fire can't tell who uses magic!”

“That's the clerics' job. You're just trying to confuse me, witch.”

“Carnivore.”

“Brazen hussy.”

“Repressed prude.”

“Um... what does that even mean?”

Skids sighed. “It's the opposite of a brazen hussy.”

“I'll take it as a compliment then.”

“You're welcome.”

Charity finished off the last bite of her bun. “I suppose you've never had buns before.”

“Huh?”

“Mages can't - or don't, as you keep insisting - use fire. So you can't cook your food. I suppose that's why you don't eat animals, they're no good raw.”

“We don't eat animals because we don't want to kill them. And we can cook just fine without fire. We use aetherthermics instead.”

“I suppose that make sense,” Charity said tentatively. “It's evil to kill people, except for mages, and it's good to kill animals, which means it's evil to not kill animals, so you don't.”

“I... I really don't know what to say to that. Wait, yes I do. I think I'll have one of those currant buns.” Skids dug one out and began to eat it. “Yeah, it is a bit floury. Not too bad though.”

“The cream ones are better,” Charity said.

“Yeah, but they were too messy to pack. So, do you think eating currant buns is good, or evil?”

“Good, of course. Why?”

“Because by your twisted logic, I shouldn't be eating them.”

“Er... well you weren't invited to the pre-sacrifice supper, so that means eating those buns is stealing. So that makes it evil.”

“If anyone should have been invited it should have been me! Besides, what about breathing? Or walking?”

“It's evil to allow a witch to live, which means it's evil for you to breath. And you're walking away from...”

“Yeah, yeah, I get it. But aren't you evil for walking with me? Then how are you still eating non-stolen buns?”

“Maybe I took one of yours?”

“I gave you that bun.”

“Then I was receiving stolen goods.”

“You're the one who took the buns in the first place.”

“By your order!”

“You didn't know I was a witch then.”

“No, but I did it because you were able to blackmail me, because I was trying to free you!”

“Ha! You admitted it!”

“I...” Charity realised that she had. “Oh.”

“You didn't want me to burn. Because you don't really believe I deserve it. Not completely.”

“Well... I suppose not, but only because you bewitched me.”

“Really? If those clerics said one of your friends was a witch, would you be completely fine to see her burned?”

Due to her concentration on the question, Charity tripped on a bump on the ground, landing in an untidy heap. She rose unsteadily to her feet, and brushed the dirt off her dress.

Skids waited, so the two would not become separated in the dark. “Are you alright?”

“No damage. And I wouldn't like for one of my friends to be burned as a witch. But if I was friends with a witch, she obviously would have bewitched me.”

“So friendship is bewitchment?”

“Of course not! Not between good people.”

“But isn't frienship an invisible bond that holds people together? That's exactly like magic.”

“If you put it that way... no, you're trying to confuse me again.”

Skids shook her head. “I don't think I'm the one who confused you.”

“Everything about you is confusing!”

“That's because of the way you were raised.”

“It's because you're a witch!”

“Witches are only confusing to you because you barely know anything about us, and most of what you do know is wrong.”

“Witches are confusing because of magic!” Charity protested.

“What's confusing about magic?”

“Um...”

“That's what I thought,” Skids said with smug satisfaction. “Come on, we need to keep moving. Watch your step this time.”

Charity followed, taking more care. “Wait, I know! Magic is evil because it is invisible.”

“So's the air. And at this time of night, pretty much everything is invisible.”

“Yes, because of the evil of darkness. That's why witches...”

“I arrived at your farm in broad daylight, I'll have you remember. And that doesn't explain the air. Is it magic?”

“No, the air is natural.”

“So's magic.”

“No it isn't!”

“Yes it is!”

“Is not!”

“How do you know?”

“The clerics...”

“I'd like to think I know a lot more about magic than your clerics. Not only is it natural, but it doesn't make people evil!”

“Of course you'd say that, you're a witch!”

“That line again? Really? How do you know witches are evil?”

“That's easy. They use magic.”

“And how do you know magic is so evil?”

“The clerics...”

“...don't know anything about magic,” Skids completed. “Try again.”

“Because witches use it.”

“And witches are evil because...?”

“I already said. Because they use magic.”

“Which is evil because...?”

“You're going around in circles!”

“No, you are! You can't say two things are evil because of each other. One has to be evil for some other reason. Try again. Magic is evil because...”

“Because it's invisible?” Charity muttered to herself. “No, so's the air. Because it's unnatural? But Skids says it isn't. But the clerics said... oh!”

“You realised something, Char?”

“I remembered something I overheard the clerics saying. Magic comes from mage stones. So that means it's not natural!”

“Is light natural? It comes from the sun. And from lanterns.”

“Yeah, but the sun is natural.”

“Lanterns aren't natural.”

“The light doesn't come from the lantern, it comes from the flame. And the flame comes from the wax, which is made by bees, which are natural. Wood can be burned to make light too, and trees are natural. So light is definitely natural.”

“Well mage stones are natural too.”

“Aren't they made by mages?”

“They can be, but they can be found in nature too. That makes them more natural than bread.”

“But bread is made from natural ingredients by bakers. Not by mages.”

“Being made by mages doesn't make something evil, remember? Besides, do you know how baking bread works? How all cooking works?”

“How it works? You follow the recipe, that's how it works.”

“I mean, what makes it cook the way it does?”

“That's just how it is!”

“No, it actually works that way because of alchemy. All cooking is alchemy, Char.”

“No! It can't be! Or... it's not forbidden alchemy. It's food! Food can't be evil.”

Skids sighed a deep frustrated sigh. “This is impossible.”

“Then stop trying to corrupt me more than you already have, Skids.”

“I'm not trying to corrupt you, I'm trying to stop you from being so ignorant!”

“I'm not ignorant!”

“You don't even know what a mage stone is.”

“That's forbidden knowledge! I shouldn't even know that magic comes from mage stones! That's probably how I started down the path to evil.”

“Would you cut that out? You're not evil, alright?”

“If I wasn't evil, then I wouldn't be here, and I wouldn't have this fever.”

“Have you taken anything for the fever?”

“Taken?”

“Right, that's alchemy, and therefore forbidden to you backwards carnivores.”

“Hey! We're not...”

“You're the one who keeps calling my and my people evil. All I've ever done is help you.”

“You made me run away from home!”

“A home full of people who think the only way to treat a fever is by burning strangers to death. I can do something about that once we get to the woods.”

“The woods? I can hardly see my way as it is. In the woods, we'll be blind!”

“Once we're hidden in the woods, I can use my magelight.”

“What's a magelight?”

“You'll see soon enough. Heh. You'll definitely see.”

Link

Re: [274061]

Postby Link » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:36 am UTC

thunk wrote:Lovely dips of mountain sightseeing I'm having. The holidips are nice, if a bit frustrating with Outside relations.
My rate of understanding things going on in the OTT has plummeted as a result. It'll probably pick back up once I get back to the schizoblitz.
Whatever. There's plenty of Time.

ED: Lovely story chapter 2 there, I've been hooked.
Link: Get better soon.

I wish we had mountains here. Maybe if I Wait long enough. ;)

Feeling much more molpish after a nice long coma. Well, apart from my neck and shoulder which hurt like hell. But that was to be expected.

ETA: there is indeed a working CO detector here, and it didn't go off, so everything's molpish. :)

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:18 pm UTC

If Time waits for Gnome Ann, what do we wait for?

(New OtherComic)
He/Him/His Image

Link

1190: "Time": BECAUSE YOU ARE _BUFFYHATTED ONGTHEMOON_

Postby Link » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:41 pm UTC

HES wrote:
If Time waits for Gnome Ann, what do we wait for?

(New OtherComic)
It.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”