In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

thunk

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby thunk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:16 am UTC

On 2016-07-21, a high temperature reading of 54.0 C (129.2 F) was recorded in Mitribah, Kuwait, tying the world record recorded in Furnace Creek, California on 2013-06-30.

The next day, the station in Basra, Iraq, recorded 53.9 C (129.0 F)

(note the official Death Valley record of 56.7 C is not considered reliable due to various factors).
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:28 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
sardia wrote:It stems from the belief of a zero sum game in prosperity, where any gains by nonwhites means automatic losses for whites.
Demonstrate that it isn't at partly true. By any metric.

By contradiction.

Per "the theory," the easiest way to double everyone's "prosperity" is to halve all populations equally. But that argument is obvious idiocy, for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: fewer people to provide services.

Therefore the converse, that more participants causes a reduction in prosperity, is also idiocy.

Therefore not zero sum.
In all fairness...

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:59 am UTC

That argument applies to population growth but doesn't apply to changes in the current population.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:38 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:That argument applies to population growth but doesn't apply to changes in the current population.

The argument is that increasing non-white prosperity reduces white prosperity, because prosperity is zero sum. It is trivially easy to show that prosperity is not zero sum; if it were, halving the population would double prosperity.

By extension, since prosperity is not zero sum, increasing non-white prosperity does not zero sum decrease white prosperity. So, yes, it does apply to changes in the current population.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:54 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
PeteP wrote:That argument applies to population growth but doesn't apply to changes in the current population.

The argument is that increasing non-white prosperity reduces white prosperity, because prosperity is zero sum. It is trivially easy to show that prosperity is not zero sum; if it were, halving the population would double prosperity.

By extension, since prosperity is not zero sum, increasing non-white prosperity does not zero sum decrease white prosperity. So, yes, it does apply to changes in the current population.

Use logic on Trump voters, now there's an idea that's never been done before. :roll:
Trump voters already know Trump is lying, wrong etc etc, but they don't care.
Spoiler:
ImageNote: I tried finding an appropriate protest comic, but I couldn't.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:45 pm UTC

thunk wrote:On 2016-07-21, a high temperature reading of 54.0 C (129.2 F) was recorded in Mitribah, Kuwait, tying the world record recorded in Furnace Creek, California on 2013-06-30.

(note the official Death Valley record of 56.7 C is not considered reliable due to various factors).

Yes. I find it interesting and funny.
This is from the article.
To better understand the high-temperature climatology of the region, it is imperative to understand the meteorology which causes the hottest days. The Death Valley and Mojave Desert regions (roughly from the Antelope Valley and Owens Valley on the west to U.S. 6 on the north to U.S. 95 on the east to I-40 on the south) are hottest during the summer, when the sun is highest midday and when daylight hours are longest.

I have been in the area described in the article.
I know for a fact, temperatures vary wildly in that area.

The topography is Weird.
Parts of Death Valley are below sea level.
Parts of the Owen's Valley are mountain grazing land.

I have never been to Mitribah, Kuwait.
The people of Mitribah, Kuwait have my sympathy.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:16 pm UTC

addams wrote:
thunk wrote:On 2016-07-21, a high temperature reading of 54.0 C (129.2 F) was recorded in Mitribah, Kuwait, tying the world record recorded in Furnace Creek, California on 2013-06-30.

To better understand the high-temperature climatology of the region, it is imperative to understand the meteorology which causes the hottest days. The Death Valley and Mojave Desert regions (roughly from the Antelope Valley and Owens Valley on the west to U.S. 6 on the north to U.S. 95 on the east to I-40 on the south) are hottest during the summer, when the sun is highest midday and when daylight hours are longest.

The topography is Weird.

Indeed, addams. But the important thing to note is that during heat waves in this region, other low-desert locations record similar high temperatures as well. For instance, on 2013-06-30, Needles (890 ft/280 m) recorded a high temperature of 122 F (50 C), Amboy (640 ft/190 m) 123 F (50.5 C), and Katherine Landing (660 ft/200 m) on Lake Mead 124 F (51 C)--all pretty hot for those locations.

This did not occur in 1913--surrounding stations experienced a maximum of 119 F (48 C)--definitely not supporting a Death Valley maximum of higher than 126 F (52 C). Hot, but not extraordinary for there.

Mitribah is in the desert outside of Kuwait City--with a population of 4 million, this city is one of the hottest in the world. During heat waves, people scamper from air-conditioned cars to malls and homes, never really going outside.
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:
thunk wrote:
addams wrote:

The topography is Weird.

Indeed, addams. But the important thing to note is that during heat waves in this region, other low-desert locations record similar high temperatures as well. For instance, on 2013-06-30, Needles (890 ft/280 m) recorded a high temperature of 122 F (50 C), Amboy (640 ft/190 m) 123 F (50.5 C), and Katherine Landing (660 ft/200 m) on Lake Mead 124 F (51 C)--all pretty hot for those locations.

This did not occur in 1913--surrounding stations experienced a maximum of 119 F (48 C)--definitely not supporting a Death Valley maximum of higher than 126 F (52 C). Hot, but not extraordinary for there.

Mitribah is in the desert outside of Kuwait City--with a population of 4 million, this city is one of the hottest in the world. During heat waves, people scamper from air-conditioned cars to malls and homes, never really going outside.

oh, ....
I think the important thing to note is the number of human lives effected.

In Death Valley a dozen or more human lives may be at risk.
In Kuwait City millions of individual human lives are at risk.

Death Vally is a Park.
Tourists go to it for Fun.

113 degrees F. (45 C) is not at all a rare temperature in many parts of California.
I've seen it 113 degrees F (45 C ) in Redding, Ca. and 122 (50 C) in Indio Ca.

Was it ever really 134 degrees F (56 C) in Death Valley?
I don't know. If it wasn't that hot. It must have felt that hot.

Maybe, NASA can put some reliable instruments in the Death Vally Park.

Kuwait City and Death Valley are Apples and Oranges.
Death Valley is uninhabitable.
And; Its uninhabited.

From what I read in your links and the links your links led to,
the OutSide in Kuwait City is uninhabitable.
Yet; ... Many people are attempting to live there.

Gee. umm. I forgot.
What is funny about this?
Meteorologists fussing about who gets into the Guinness World Record?

No? Maybe, it's this:
During heat waves, people scamper from air-conditioned cars to malls and homes, never really going outside.

Is that the funny part?
Southern Californians on the cooler, western side of the mountains do that, too.
And; It is funny.

Darn.
Did I ruin another joke?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:38 pm UTC

addams wrote:Is that the funny part?
Southern Californians on the cooler, western side of the mountains do that, too.
And; It is funny.

Darn.
Did I ruin another joke?

I thought it was more of an "interesting minor news" thread than just "funny news". There's no joke here.

addams wrote:Maybe, NASA can put some reliable instruments in the Death Vally Park.

After the few years of early installment weirdness, the Furnace Creek temperature record is generally considered reliable. It get to 129 F on four separate occasions over the years, but no higher outside of those few days in July 1913. Another reason why that's in doubt.
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:27 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
addams wrote:Is that the funny part?
And; It is funny.

Darn.
Did I ruin another joke?

I thought it was more of an "interesting minor news" thread than just "funny news". There's no joke here.

addams wrote:Maybe, NASA can put some reliable instruments in the Death Vally Park.

After the few years of early installment weirdness, the Furnace Creek temperature record is generally considered reliable. It get to 129 F on four separate occasions over the years, but no higher outside of those few days in July 1913. Another reason why that's in doubt.

thunk?
Have you ever been where it is That hot?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:54 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
morriswalters wrote:
sardia wrote:It stems from the belief of a zero sum game in prosperity, where any gains by nonwhites means automatic losses for whites.
Demonstrate that it isn't at /least/ partly true. By any metric.

By contradiction.

Per "the theory," the easiest way to double everyone's "prosperity" is to halve all populations equally. But that argument is obvious idiocy, for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: fewer people to provide services.

Therefore the converse, that more participants causes a reduction in prosperity, is also idiocy.

Therefore not zero sum.
Who am I to argue? But it doesn't have to be completely true. It only has to be true enough to hurt. What the free traders have never understood, in so far as appearances go, is that jobs are more mobile than the the people chasing them. 100 jobs going to Mexico from Podunk USA, may be replaced by 100 jobs in Greater Podunk 1000 miles away. Unless you're an upwardly mobile technocrat you can't chase those jobs, assuming that you can find out about them. So the appearance is that you are in a competition for an ever decreasing number of local jobs. Tell me, does game theory assume that all the players are at the same table?

edit

in the original quote I meant to add the word least

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:07 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:Who am I to argue? But it doesn't have to be completely true. It only has to be true enough to hurt. What the free traders have never understood, in so far as appearances go, is that jobs are more mobile than the the people chasing them. 100 jobs going to Mexico from Podunk USA, may be replaced by 100 jobs in Greater Podunk 1000 miles away. Unless you're an upwardly mobile technocrat you can't chase those jobs, assuming that you can find out about them. So the appearance is that you are in a competition for an ever decreasing number of local jobs. Tell me, does game theory assume that all the players are at the same table?

edit

in the original quote I meant to add the word least

While shifting jobs into respective specialties is a common way trade benefits, it also lowers the price of goods. To appreciate this, think of Venezuela. The prices there are really high, so people buy less stuff, or ration as they sit in line. All this is time and money that could be better spent on other more productive tasks. Instead of saving up a quarter of your salary on Christmas, you spent only 1 months salary. Instead of hiding from the heat, you spend the day working on a favorite hobby or job that's much more valuable than sitting in front of a fan because you lack AC.

As for trade hitting concentrated pockets vs overall gains, I liken it to military spending. If we closed down an outdated weapons program, the same sad pathetic angry formerly high paid workers get laid off while the country as a whole benefits by spending dollars where it's most valuable.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:47 am UTC

Did Mom unleash the Twit-Worm?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:59 am UTC

sardia wrote:As for trade hitting concentrated pockets vs overall gains, I liken it to military spending. If we closed down an outdated weapons program, the same sad pathetic angry formerly high paid workers get laid off while the country as a whole benefits by spending dollars where it's most valuable.
Well okay, as long as those sad, pathetic, angry workers don't manage to make The Donald President.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:17 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
sardia wrote:As for trade hitting concentrated pockets vs overall gains, I liken it to military spending. If we closed down an outdated weapons program, the same sad pathetic angry formerly high paid workers get laid off while the country as a whole benefits by spending dollars where it's most valuable.
Well okay, as long as those sad, pathetic, angry workers don't manage to make The Donald President.

Well they usually complain to their fairy god senator to make it all better. You know, governance. Soapbox: It's the Republicans fault for shorting the budget when it's most needed by the people in the US.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:35 pm UTC

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/0 ... atown.html

Important quote:
“I’m trying to make poop cute,” said owner Lien Nguyen

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:14 pm UTC

sardia wrote: Soapbox: It's the Republicans fault for shorting the budget when it's most needed by the people in the US.
:roll:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/22/poop-dessert-cafe-to-open-in-koreatown.html

Important quote:
“I’m trying to make poop cute,” said owner Lien Nguyen
We're doomed as a people.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
morriswalters wrote:

Well they usually complain to their fairy god senator to make it all better. You know, governance. Soapbox: It's the Republicans fault for shorting the budget when it's most needed by the people in the US.

...and then the Republicans tell them how sad and pathetic they are, and how their prosperity is a matter of their personal responsibility that should not be a concern of government.

So back when...

morriswalters wrote:100 jobs going to Mexico from Podunk USA, may be replaced by 100 jobs in Greater Podunk 1000 miles away. Unless you're an upwardly mobile technocrat you can't chase those jobs, assuming that you can find out about them. So the appearance is that you are in a competition for an ever decreasing number of local jobs. Tell me, does game theory assume that all the players are at the same table?

...he was talking through his hat, because those people who aren't "upwardly mobile technocrats" still have a personal responsibility to get off their asses, move to "Greater Podunk" and take responsibility for their own prosperity. As I'm sure any good Republican--Donald Trump--would tell them.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 pm UTC

There are differences between what a stereotypical Republican wants vs what Trump wants. For one thing, nobody knows what Trump wants to do besides start witchhunts for being notwhite.

Coyne wrote:...he was talking through his hat, because those people who aren't "upwardly mobile technocrats" still have a personal responsibility to get off their asses, move to "Greater Podunk" and take responsibility for their own prosperity. As I'm sure any good Republican--Donald Trump--would tell them.
That's a very loaded, and not to mention lazy, way of offloading government's role in society. For one thing, that assumes there's no barriers to moving, and you have conveniently spared yourself from helping them in any way.

morriswalters wrote:
sardia wrote: Soapbox: It's the Republicans fault for shorting the budget when it's most needed by the people in the US.
:roll:

Prove me wrong.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:38 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:.he was talking through his hat, because those people who aren't "upwardly mobile technocrats" still have a personal responsibility to get off their asses, move to "Greater Podunk" and take responsibility for their own prosperity. As I'm sure any good Republican--Donald Trump--would tell them.
Well, okay. They do of course, but they lose a little ground every time they do. And now they are going to vote for Trump. Go figure.
sardia wrote:Prove me wrong.
Well, no. Why should I, you didn't offer any. But it is suggestive that the Dem's have been in control fairly often. Overall though, both parties reflect the divisions that exist in society. I don't see the point in laying the blame squarely at the feet of the Republicans. Plenty of blame to go around.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
Coyne wrote:

Use logic on Trump voters, now there's an idea that's never been done before. :roll:
Trump voters already know Trump is lying, wrong etc etc, but they don't care.

Society didn't massively abandon logic since the past election.

They don't care about pundits nitpicking at various issues because they feel he represents them. They're hardly the first or last people to do so. Statements like yours are making me revise my estimate of Trump's odds upwards. People can't defeat him if they don't even understand why he has appeal.

morriswalters wrote:

Ah, poor white southerners. The disadvantaged demographic that nobody has to feel bad about openly despising.

And you all wonder why they want Trump.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:14 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Society didn't massively abandon logic since the past election.
They don't care about pundits nitpicking at various issues because they feel he represents them. They're hardly the first or last people to do so. Statements like yours are making me revise my estimate of Trump's odds upwards. People can't defeat him if they don't even understand why he has appeal.

Ah, poor white southerners. The disadvantaged demographic that nobody has to feel bad about openly despising.

And you all wonder why they want Trump.

Pfft, libertarians are just as guilty as the rest of us for the rise of Trump. What has your ideology given them? Relaxed regulations & a wish for good luck at best and a sneer at their failing of self sufficiency at worst.

No, I don't wonder why they want Trump. We know the indicators of Trump supporters. It's centered around white grievances. Why do you think they support Trump?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 pm UTC

Oh, sure. Libertarianism hasn't really done much for them. Probably wouldn't, even if we were in power. But in practice, libertarian sorts don't actually hold much power, so it doesn't matter overly much.

Trump is an anti-establishment candidate, not an anti-libertarian candidate, and it's a cinch that the establishment isn't libertarian.

Long story short, the right views them as somehow obligated to vote for them, despite the right doing fairly little in return, and the left rarely misses an opportunity to insult or berate them. Being white isn't actually the main thing, whatever you think. It's a rage at being insulted and ignored. Trump talks to them, despite not really being one of them. That's enough.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:45 pm UTC

sardia wrote:It's centered around white grievances.
Ignore white grievances at your peril. You can see what it has done to the Republican party. And at the state level they've taken over a lot of legislatures and state governments.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

This thread is starting to lack humor, unless the humor is in the discussion going on above, which I don't see.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

Drumheller769 wrote:This thread is starting to lack humor, unless the humor is in the discussion going on above, which I don't see.

Sorry, we skills move this into the elections thread.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:50 pm UTC

she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:21 pm UTC

*Nintendo shares drop after Nintendo states that it won't change their economic projections

Nintendo has a big stake in pokémon and a smaller stake in Pokémon GO, so they're definitely reaping the benefits of the current hype. However, Nintendo thinks it's not enough to assume that they'll be making a (substantially) larger profit this/next year.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:34 pm UTC

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160725000762

A man crashed his car into the head office of game firm Nexon on Sunday at around 7 a.m., claiming the company had “ruined his life.”

As a former recovering player of the Nexon game "Maple Story", I can confirm that their shitty MMORPGs do ruin lives and sympathize with the car driver.

The game was so bad... why did I play it for hours each day? :evil: :evil: :evil:
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:38 pm UTC

Skinner box?

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Skinner box?

Yeah, Maple Story was basically a Skinner Box simulation. Randomized drops that got rarer the higher level you got and everything. When I learned what a Skinner Box was my first thought was "Oh, so the design of Maple Story".
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:59 pm UTC

Skinner boxes are fascinating. A good MMO has to be one, but isn't *just* that. It's a fine line, though. And there's probably plenty of people addicted to WoW and what not in a similar fashion, so I'm not 100% sure where the line is.

Does seem like we do occasionally get a story along these lines, though.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mos ... il-we-use/
We call the U.S. the world’s dumping ground for rancid and defective olive oil. We don’t know the difference,” said Sue Langstaff, a sensory scientist who consults for the beer, wine and olive oil industries, among others. Studies have shown that even frequent olive oil consumers in the U.S. don’t know what the extra virgin or cold pressed designations mean, let alone have the ability to taste the difference. And in blind taste tests, consumers often prefer lower-quality olive oils.

I've tried imported certified Virgin olive oil, and I count myself as one of those who can't tell the difference. I think I'll give the domestic olive oil a try and see if it's any different. I can't tell if I'm eating fraudulent olive oil or being unable to differentiate the good stuff from the bad stuff.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:15 pm UTC

Talking about wikileaks.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zeynep-tufekci/wikileaks-erdogan-emails_b_11158792.html
Yes — this “leak” actually contains spreadsheets of private, sensitive information of what appears to be every female voter in 79 out of 81 provinces in Turkey, including their home addresses and other private information, sometimes including their cellphone numbers. If these women are members of Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (known as the AKP), the dumped files also contain their Turkish citizenship ID, which increases the risk to them as the ID is used in practicing a range of basic rights and accessing services. The Istanbul file alone contains more than a million women’s private information, and there are 79 files, with most including information of many hundreds of thousands of women.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

Yeah, I went with my brother and sister-in-law to visit a...a...an oilery?...where we spent about forty minutes listening to a chipmunky little old man berate nobody in particular over the general public's unrefined taste and absolute ignorance of proper olive oil procedures (DON'T COOK IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T COOK IT YOU IGNORANT PHILISTINE) before trying four different samples of True Olive Oil...which tasted exactly like every other time I've ever had olive oil.

Yup.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:26 pm UTC

It reminds me of an old housemate saying he was glad he had "unrefined" ears and couldn't tell the difference between good and bad sound quality (eg MP3 vs WAV) because it was convenient, he could compress music files till they were tiny and get the same enjoyment out of them. He had a point. "Unrefined" senses and tastes make life easier. Not to mention saving you horrific amounts of money.

At the other end of the scale is a man I know who spent £3000 on a unit that... changed the waveshape of the electricity going into his amplifier (that also cost thousands, obviously) as that somehow affected the sound quality. This man is significantly less laid-back and content with life.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:33 pm UTC

What I plan to test is if the issue is the lack of good olive oil or if it really is a sensory issue. I'm Financially secure now, but it's hard to justify buying TWO bottles of 20$+ olive oil, especially since there are limited uses for oil that shouldn't be heated.
Maybe I should host an Italian party or something. Pasta, salad, bread, etc etc. Might be able to use up a bottle of I bring a bunch of friends.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:37 pm UTC

I mean, it's not like my tastebuds don't work. I can easily tell, say, similar but distinct wines from one another. But this whole olive-oil-purist thing escapes me. There was like 0.05% of a difference between that stuff and the kind you get from Safeway, as far as I could tell.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:I mean, it's not like my tastebuds don't work. I can easily tell, say, similar but distinct wines from one another. But this whole olive-oil-purist thing escapes me. There was like 0.05% of a difference between that stuff and the kind you get from Safeway, as far as I could tell.

There's another alternative theory. The oil guy was giving you samples of crud.

Return to “News & Articles”