1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gingercat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I made it to the Now :)

That's so awesome! Welcome, welcome :mrgreen:

I'd like to add that I completely agree with your statement that "If you posted it, it was read and appreciated" as a general affirmation in everyone's general direction.

Feels like there's so much I should have said but didn't (maybe?), such as condolences and empathy to those who have recently experienced lifemustard with a side of $^%@, congrats to those who have achieved marvellous things, and possibly responses to those who've quoted or referenced me and didn't get a reply, erk! (But too much of such thoughts surely constitutes I-jacking of the OTT. HERESY!!)

As Popecat (again, lolz) I decree:

Please post a small something that brings you joy.

For me, it's my wonderful family :)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

thunk

48b: beware grey swanraptors

Postby thunk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:37 pm UTC

The kind you sort of expect and just inside the realm of possibility.

Still blitzing. But distracted by work, vacation, and epsilon hotdogs.

I'm at a loss for what to do in life. I only seem to make mustard everywhere due merely to apathy.

But great Hugo Dip! Though the randamn Sad Wolpies ruined it the next yip.
(EDIT: Ch*rp Cueball's mum, they've stuffed zanclean mustard into this yip as well.
Last edited by thunk on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Gingercat

Re: 48b: beware grey swanraptors

Postby Gingercat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:48 pm UTC

thunk wrote:The kind you sort of expect and just inside the realm of possibility.

Still blitzing. But distracted by work, vacation, and epsilon hotdogs.

I'm at a loss for what to do in life. I only seem to make mustard everywhere due merely to apathy.

But great Hugo Dip! Though the randamn Sad Wolpies ruined it the next yip.

Not everywhere! You create anti-mustard here :) That's gotta have some sort of balancing effect right?

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "SPACESHIP!!!"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 am UTC

Yay, smoothies and ice-cream and congrats and posts and OTTers in a restaurant! Everything is awesomeful!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 am UTC

Hello macraw83! And thank you (again)!

I'll unfollow the decree and say: JavaScript & relatives no longer bring me joy.

Also, stories start to rot if they stay in my head for too long. Eww.

In other news, all my userscripts have been updated to work with the forum upgrade. Please go to your userscript manager and make sure you have the following versions:
  • Spoiler Scroller 0.3.3 (BTW can anyone help?)
  • Cake Time Styler 1.0.0
  • Post Enumerators 2.0.0
If you don't, try updating or reinstalling them (one of the previous update URLs has ***ed, so they might get stuck).

AluisioASG wrote:
Image Donaldify the OTC Image
FWIW, context (I think).

There, Fractories was enjoyable :P

Sadly, Wayback's records seem far and between.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:06 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Welcome to the Future, Macraw83! :D

Gingercat wrote:

That's so awesome! Welcome, welcome :mrgreen:

Thanks xuys! It's awesomeful to be here with y'all :D

Eternal Density wrote:Yay, smoothies and ice-cream and congrats and posts and OTTers in a restaurant! Everything is awesomeful!
Yes, yes it is. Also, I finally clicked on the Star Wars link in your sig. If that's been the same link the whole time, that's amazing and suddenly even more relevant in a whole new way after the last few wips :P

For Decree: The OTT and all y'all OTTers out there that make it such a molpish place to be.

And to thank you all for that... I bring a Present Present!

I know it's not much, but I upgraded my server from Windows to Debian, partially because I wanted to host another REDUNDANT copy of the ЯOЯЯIM TTO in case of Zanclean Mustard in the xkcd fora, the Botcastle, AND in Lu's servers all at the same Time. Link is available HERE, and will soon be in my sig as well.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Double-REDUNDANT RORRIM OTT.png

Redundant000.jpg
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:09 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:

13695050_10210183958385601_220989038_n.jpg

Unfortunately, much m*stard has occurred since this photo was taken, 2 wips ago.

One car-castle, no longer car-like or castle-like. One passport, apparently lost forever. (Small glimmer of hope remains, but it is dwindling.)

OTOH, both GHW and GHWFP escaped with only bumps and bruises, we have the resources to deal with the m*stard, and progress toward our new WDOP is continuing apace, that will be joyful indeed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Lazy ED is still lazy"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:43 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Also, I finally clicked on the Star Wars link in your sig. If that's been the same link the whole time, that's amazing and suddenly even more relevant in a whole new way after the last few wips
Yes, it has! :D
Last night I found myself in a conversation about P-GO, and remembered to use my line "I'm not into origami."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:00 am UTC

My condolences on the carcastle, SBN. Fortunately, carcastles and passports are replaceable, and I'm glad that GHW and GHWFP are ok. Good luck finding the WDOP!

Eternal Density wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Also, I finally clicked on the Star Wars link in your sig. If that's been the same link the whole time, that's amazing and suddenly even more relevant in a whole new way after the last few wips
Yes, it has! :D
Last night I found myself in a conversation about P-GO, and remembered to use my line "I'm not into origami."

I busted out laughing while getting ready for coma, wife asked me what happened, I showed her the link and then your post and she couldn't stop laughing either :D

Thanks for that, ED!

Molpy down, y'all!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

thunk

1190: "Be the Dragmolp"

Postby thunk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:28 am UTC

And elsewhere, too.
(for those curious, the vet-tech comment referred to someone I knew on an otherforum who was an otherkin. Not so much in the literal "where is my tail" sense--there might have been a bit of that, but the figurative "have a deep emotional connection to dragmolps" sense, in a somewhat more serious vein to many of the OTTers here).

For decree: I have bliny. Not blintzes, lest I invoke the wrath of BlintzGirl.

My condolences to mrob and SBN. But yay, macraw83 and ED--ch*rp cancer!
_______

I keep wanting to OTT with random RELATED trash, but everymolpy's out doing more useful things, like running a moonbase.
Speaking of which, WIkileaks should be knocking down baltax_haven_s door right now to host their servers.

_______
Yappocism and OTTIfication time!

The Sandcastle Forever
Based on Canada's former and better national anthem--"The Maple Leaf Forever" by Alexander Muir.
(note: the linked version has verses 1, 3, and 4--this one OTTifies 1,2, and 3. It would be a bit epsilon to start singing about "Holland's verdant polders".)

In dips of yore,
first ONGed our lore
Oh, the Great Lord Randall drew
and gave us Newpix for to wait
what Cuegan built anew
Long may it stand
'gainst mustard tide
our sundry grains together
The semen, coffee, ice inside
the sandcastle forever!

Spoiler:
[CHORUS]
The sandcastle
Our symbol dear
The sandcastle forever!
May OTA and davean bless
The sandcastle forever!

At Chateau d'If and Asinar-
a, Cueball, Meg, and La Petite
Sought wide for answers, ventured back
to save the Forty dear.
Although their home's lost to the waves
We will forget it never.
Our watchword ever more shall be
the sandcastle forever!

[CHORUS]

Our molpish land will soon extend
from Marseille to Gibraltar
May flames be quenched by constant Time
And works that baobab are
Long shall our xuy-grains tightly clasp
Which Sadness cannot sever
And stand tall on our OTTer shore
The sandcastle forever!

[CHORUS]
troo dat

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 am UTC

Hello OTTers!

I am still reading along so it is rarely I have to actually ketchup. Alas Outside kept me busy from replying and more often than not I was at a loss for words. Thank you for all your continuing contributions to the thread making this a very special place indeed (which, by decree, is something that brings me joy).

My condolences to all who have lost a dear one, congratulations to those who have overcome bad life mustard. I had to deal with some mustard of my own, though rather minor one. It seems diverse household appliances do conspire to go unmolpy at the same time or at least very close to each other.

On another note: I had to move the Database server to another location and the IP-adress has changed in the process. The old one will still be running for a few days and I hope I will be able to provide the service without interruption. If anyone still uses the Database, please let me know if there is any mustard.

Thank you and keep on molpying!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:My condolences on the carcastle, SBN. Fortunately, carcastles and passports are replaceable, and I'm glad that GHW and GHWFP are ok. Good luck finding the WDOP!

We did find the WDOP, just need to align a massive quantity of web-footed raptors. The rescue mission for the carcastle and passport is underway, it's just being complicated by distance and remoteness. (But it does turn out that Canadians are as friendly as advertised, and I am very glad I insisted on getting a photocopy of all her documents to keep here.) GHWFP and GHW will need to be on buses for 26 hours, to get to where the passport can be replaced. MSWFP will be on the road several dips to deliver my carcastle to her. Then he flies back in time to celebrate the final raptor alignment. (And then, find me a "new" carcastle.)

It brings me joy to be here, to know there are folks I can share my joys and sorrows with, and that I can share theirs as well. Rest assured that I do, even when not verbalized.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

balthasar_s

how the

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:36 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:And to thank you all for that... I bring a Present Present!
I know it's not much, but I upgraded my server from Windows to Debian, partially because I wanted to host another REDUNDANT copy of the ЯOЯЯIM TTO in case of Zanclean Mustard in the xkcd fora, the Botcastle, AND in Lu's servers all at the same Time. Link is available HERE, and will soon be in my sig as well.
Welcome to the redundancy club.

Yesterday evening I secretly made a bsta test page to determine the correct html for the page layout.
The temporary title started with "Be the".
And today thunk makes a post with the title "Be the dragmolp". And in this post writes about wikiLEAKS and moonbase servers.
Did thunk find out something? :shock:
How did you
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Re: d

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Thanks indian-on-the-moon!
! You are correct about the fastness :)
On saturday I woke up at 5:30 for some reason. I checked the ott (actually I wanted to check if one of the STAFs I sent recently had already arrived but I looked at the OTT too).
I saw your post.
I thought:
Actually, this will be easy.
The viewer already knows the ONGtimes.
I can do it.

It was after 6.
I quickly programmed it and checked that everything works correctly.
And then I went to eat breakfast.
I wasn't late for breakfast.
I spent the next 9 hours fixing bikes.
Heehee - it sounds like I wasn't just right about the speed - nailed the fixing bikes part too. :)

mrob27 wrote:
ggh wrote:
mscha wrote:As far as Image is concerned, I think it simply means ‘health’[…]
Alternatively, it could be the beanie telling Cugan it's “healthy”, whatever it is they're eating

That's an intriguing theory. I'd put its plausibility between the original 'cream' theory and my 'plant-species name / yarrow' theory. I will again invoke the argument that:

Teaching nouns is pretty easy, if the noun is a physical thing
 that you can point to, or by using pictures. Since these Beanies
 are from a culture that has been involved in the evacuation of
 many people from the doomed lowlands, there is even a decent
 chance that these particular Beanies have done some language-
 teaching or -learning with other strangers.

and assert that nouns make up the majority of words that any non-Unglish-speaking Beanies would attempt to teach Cuegan.
Corrected that quote: I didn't actually say anything there.

I see your point. On the other hand, if they send the geeks out to do the surveying, maybe they're not especially experienced with language-teaching. Maybe. Your point is a good one.

Yay! Yayayayay!

macraw83 wrote:Also, yesterday was wowterfallish: I met Marsh'n yesterdip! Story Time:

Spoiler:
Early on in my most recent Blitz, I found this post:
Marsh'n wrote::D Squeeeeee! :D I just had to share. This should be on its way to me shortly:
I suppose I'll have to follow up with an Outside@ photo when the carcastle is wearing it... a few weeks I'm told.

@ Literally... not going to bring the carcastle in the castlecastle to take the photo... Is the Outside heretical if you're molpy-hunting?
Having just moved to the Albany, NY area myself, I took it upon myself to PM Marsh'n to ask if xe was anywhere close to me. Xe responded:
Marsh'n wrote:I'm thinking of coming to Albany for an upcoming Lindsey Stirling concert - Jul 25. Maybe we should meet up or something? :)
Wouldn't you know it, my wife and I already had tickets! Fast forwarding to yesterdip: we met for dinner at a cozy little restaurant in Albany, and the two of us and our SO's and one of their friends had a great time talking about all sorts of stuff, including the OTTerCon (which I'm so disappointed I missed) and all sorts of treeish things. Since we had ordered tickets separately, we parted ways at that point for the Lindsey Stirling concert, which itself was molpish in so many ways :)

Marsh'n, if you read this, please know that we had a great time meeting you and yours. We're looking forward to next time!
Heehee - I had a hunch it was Marsh'n. :) I sure would love to see him back around these parts.

azule wrote:I've played Leisure Suit Larry, too...
I vaguely recall getting the crabs or some such.

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
Words would go great here. After those words would be: Neat integration, especially the composition of Cue's head at the horizon and Meg's body just above it. No offense, but I don't think I can even compete anymore (not that I was or have been trying). Like, what things are you bad at? Because I'll try my hand at those, k???!! ;) :P
Hehheh - thanks, but you're giving me too much credit; the composition was worse than accidental. I'll explain. I thought of a gimmick I wanted to use in an OTColoured. I needed a dawn picture where the camera was kinda close to the foreground water, so I picked that one. It had a bit of land at the horizon on the right side that I needed to get rid of, so I painted out a bit (hastily) and then... :oops:... I just hid the rest behind the top of the raftcastle. Shameful, eh? The composition was guided by my laziness rather than by any design sense. In fact, I don't like how the dialogue is crowded by lines of cloud underneath - so I definitely would have moved the background a bit if I wasn't hiding that land.

As for the gimmick... I ended up not using it in this OTColoured; it wasn't looking as nice as I had hoped and I was running out of Time to post that ONG. I'm hoping to work it into a future OTColoured someday.

AluisioASG wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Image Donaldify the OTC Image
FWIW, context (I think).

There, Fractories was enjoyable :P

Sadly, Wayback's records seem far and between.
I like Fractories too. Going back, it looks like it had a few more frames than I saw. I think the glare frame was the last one I saw at the time. Maybe someday he'll finish it. I hope. I'll wait for it.

macraw83 wrote:And to thank you all for that... I bring a Present Present!
Spoiler:

Ooh - treeish! Thanks! And it's not quite as redundant as you might think, since the redundamirror hasn't updated in a quite some Time. Your new mirror is really just a heavier houseplant away from being on the front lines in case of fora mustard.

SBN wrote:One car-castle, no longer car-like or castle-like. One passport, apparently lost forever. (Small glimmer of hope remains, but it is dwindling.)

OTOH, both GHW and GHWFP escaped with only bumps and bruises...
Did the car-castle give its life for its castle-ites? I'm kind of envisioning a freak accident where the passport went flying through the windshield, but these were separate mustards, weren't they?

Sciscitor wrote:I had to deal with some mustard of my own, though rather minor one. It seems diverse household appliances do conspire to go unmolpy at the same time or at least very close to each other.
Hi Sciscitor!
I am now imagining one of your constellations in which the correlations of your appliances' breakdowns are illustrated....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:11 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Did the car-castle give its life for its castle-ites? I'm kind of envisioning a freak accident where the passport went flying through the windshield, but these were separate mustards, weren't they?

It did indeed. We think the passport fell out at the crash site. There are a couple possibilities left for a search of the site, but that becomes an excursion in itself, since it is at least a 2 hour drive each way. (And, not having a car-castle clearly complicates that even more.)

But, random strangers have volunteered to search, and to take her to search, so still hoping. (For all I know, it was found already, between lack of cell service there, and a 3 hour time difference communication is interesting.

Some Ways to Time

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Re: 1190: "Time": d

Postby HES » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I like Fractories too. Going back, it looks like it had a few more frames than I saw.

At one point it was only being posted on the facebug, and at another it wasn't posted at all if you weren't looking. I hope Kieryn picks it up again, he was setting it up to be so much more...

@macraw, I hope your meeting opened with "the river is small!". And that it was properly reciprocated, unlike a certain time when I wasn't paying enough attention in a hotel lobby...
(Also +1 for Lindsey Stirling. She doesn't find herself my side of the pond often enough)
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:33 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Heehee - I had a hunch it was Marsh'n. :) I sure would love to see him back around these parts.
He said he might pop in and say hello, I hope he does :)

ggh wrote:Ooh - treeish! Thanks! And it's not quite as redundant as you might think, since the redundamirror hasn't updated in a quite some Time. Your new mirror is really just a heavier houseplant away from being on the front lines in case of fora mustard.
Ha, true. The botcastle keeps trudging along, though, even in the face of so much mustard (falling plants, power failures, hard drive cables...). And I trust the botcastlekeeper to keep it running for a long while, but it is good to have a redundant option in case of redundant mustard.

HES wrote:
ggh wrote:I like Fractories too. Going back, it looks like it had a few more frames than I saw.

At one point it was only being posted on the facebug, and at another it wasn't posted at all if you weren't looking. I hope Kieryn picks it up again, he was setting it up to be so much more...
It was pretty treeish. Has anymolpy been in contact with him recently?

HES wrote:@macraw, I hope your meeting opened with "the river is small!". And that it was properly reciprocated, unlike a certain time when I wasn't paying enough attention in a hotel lobby...
(Also +1 for Lindsey Stirling. She doesn't find herself my side of the pond often enough)
Sadly, no... Marsh'n dropped his two (non-OTTer) passengers off while he parked the Molpymobile, so we had done some introductions with them and were chatting about something when he walked in. It didn't really fit the rest of the conversation, until the part where we started talking about the OTT and the OTTerCon and everything probably about a Longpix later.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

BY Degree

GingerCat said, GingerCat's family is the color of Joy.
Thunk said, The kind you sort of expect and just inside the realm of possibility.
Spoiler:
GingerCat
For me, it's my wonderful family :)
We then see an example of a Good Family Member.
GingerCat sings song of Love.
You create anti-mustard here :)
That's gotta have some sort of balancing effect. Right?

AluisioASG?!?
What was That?
FWIW, context (I think).

I clicked a link inside your link and Zip-Zip-Zip;
It looked like Something was Zipping In.
!!Goodness!!

Eternal Density; Eternal Density; Eternal Density
Eternal Density; Eternal Density
Eternal Density

Yey! Yey! Yey!
Eternal Density is On Top of the World,
Looking Down on Creation!
(That is as it should be now and forever more.)

macraw83 and Eternal Density often post over my head.
SBN, I understand. (Mostly, sometimes, usually.)

Oh, Gasp!
Then, sigh of Relief.
progress toward our new WDOP is continuing apace, that will be joyful indeed.

I have No Idea what that means, it seems 'up-beat' and good; ... Joyful, even.

Ta-Ta! Thunk lifted me up with a song. Did you feel lifted, too?
Based on Canada's former and better national anthem--"The Maple Leaf Forever" by Alexander Muir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx_T1R026Wc
Thunk made me one of the ten thousand.

xkcd Forum, Time Thread and its Posters are my Joy.
The Waterfall brings me Joy.

ahhh! New Other
http://xkcd.com/1712/
Spoiler:
can't hide under the bed, forever.
no one likes me.

so true.
so true.
per-degree:
Where is The Waterfall?
Have you seen it recently?
The Waterfall is a small thing that brings me Joy.

edit: And This:
In the Real World, this is a Joy.
The wildlife is entertaining, this morning.
It is one of those rare 'perfect' moments.

The sweet, still air is perfumed by the forest.
Bird, beast and butterfly have come to bask in the morning sun.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

addams wrote:

Oh, Gasp!
Then, sigh of Relief.
progress toward our new WDOP is continuing apace, that will be joyful indeed.

I have No Idea what that means, it seems 'up-beat' and good; ... Joyful, even.

WDOP = Wolpy Door Opening Place, i.e. home, where my time is largely devoted to catering to their whims. (Not a complaint.) Contrast that to WFFS, Wolpy Food Funding Source, i.e. work, where I go to ensure the wolpies have everything they could ever want. (Still not a complaint, but somewhat of an exaggeration.)

We should have all the cyber-paperwork done and actually have possession next month. (And then we have to move in, but let's not think about that yet.)
So yes, joyful.

The other acronyms,

GHW is the one in the canoe. Grand Helper Wolpy, as he is Service Dog to my daughter, aka GHWFP, Grand Helper Wolpy's Favorite person.)

The Wolpies I open doors for are LW, Largest Wolpy, and MSW, Middle Sized Wolpy. (Smallest Wolpy no longer needing doors opened.)

I'm with GingerCat, my family brings me joy, even in the midst of life-m*stard. Sometimes even because of life-m*stard.

Some Ways to Time

thunk

1190: "Time": ottify xir memetrash

Postby thunk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:16 pm UTC

That's great, Gingercat and SBN.

My family brings me some joy, caked in a thick layer of mustard. But I'm glad yours is better.
Correction: the OTT family brings me joy. I love you xuys.
troo dat

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm UTC

addams wrote:xkcd Forum, Time Thread and its Posters are my Joy.
The Waterfall brings me Joy.

ahhh! New Other
http://xkcd.com/1712/
Spoiler:
can't hide under the bed, forever.
no one likes me.

so true.
so true.
per-degree:
Where is The Waterfall?
Have you seen it recently?

This one? (if so, click on it to go to the animation)

rsir:
Spoiler:
wowterfallDitheredStormy.0335.jpg
wowterfallDitheredStormy.0336.jpg
wowterfallDitheredStormy.0337.jpg
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Always be yourself, unless you can be a dragmolp.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:21 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:I busted out laughing while getting ready for coma, wife asked me what happened, I showed her the link and then your post and she couldn't stop laughing either

Thanks for that, ED!
You are very welcome, thanks for sharing the story.
thunk wrote:My condolences to mrob and SBN. But yay, macraw83 and ED--ch*rp cancer!
On some otherforums, I gave myself (until very recently) the custom usertitle 'sudo fsck cancer', which unixy people will find amusing.
Neat song!

Hi Sciscitor!

addams wrote:
Eternal Density; Eternal Density; Eternal Density
Eternal Density; Eternal Density
Eternal Density

Yey! Yey! Yey!
Eternal Density is On Top of the World,
Looking Down on Creation!
(That is as it should be now and forever more.)

macraw83 and Eternal Density often post over my head.
Wow.
addams, you often post beside my head. Sometimes that helps me turn around and gain a new perspective. Sometimes it makes my head spin. I'm glad you do this.
(Also, when writing a reply, if I select part of a post and click Quote, it quotes it but without formatting. Epsilon!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:35 am UTC

I definitely enjoy addams' postings. They're like a window that looks out into a grassy meadow where cheerful thoughts are at play.

macraw83

Re: Always be yourself, unless you can be a dragmolp.

Postby macraw83 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:24 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
addams wrote:macraw83 and Eternal Density often post over my head.
Wow.
addams, you often post beside my head. Sometimes that helps me turn around and gain a new perspective. Sometimes it makes my head spin. I'm glad you do this.

I spent way too long earlier todip trying to figure out how to day exactly this. addams, thank you for sharing your lovely flavor of poetry with us for so long <3

mrob27

1190: "Time": KETCHUP, KETCHUP AGAINST THE PUNSAWING OF THE BEANISHNESS

Postby mrob27 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:59 am UTC

I'm somewhere on NP2505… In other news, I'm "blitzing" my mom's writing (or which she left a lot) for eulogy purposes.

ggh wrote:My hope is that each of the symbols is a meanord. That would make the panther salve something described by 11 meanords. Seems like we'll know what's in it once we can read. :)

That's kind of like what you'd get if the glyphs were Gregg Shorthand.
  Some of my mother's writing is in Gregg. Usually it's something I don't need to read, but when she was in a rush she'd use some of the short forms seen in that link. Including, yep, the memorial service plans. So I had to learn some of Mom's "Beanish" writing last week (and even the normal writing still gives me trouble).

Eternal Density wrote:What do folks think of the world I'm building around Skids and Charity?

This folk thinks it's awesomeful (or is that awefulsome? Hmmm… let's see:

Code: Select all

: grep -i awfulsome OTT.rhtf | wc -l
 : grep -i awsomeful OTT.rhtf | wc -l
 : grep -i awefulsome OTT.rhtf | wc -l
 : grep -i awesomeful OTT.rhtf | wc -l
and the meanings differ. So, "awesomeful" it is.)

balthasar_s wrote:A fish jumps out and steals his antenna, takes it underwater, sticks it in the ground and adds it to its collection of things.

Ah, of course! The whole frame is underwater and the fish is floating (in the water) not "hovering".
  Oh thank Randall, @ED answered the natural 20 question right away so I didn't have to think about doing that. :D
  … not that I like the answer. No action resolution system should include a blanket rule that, regardless of the conditions, there is always a 5% chance of utter success and a 5% chance of utter failure. Yes, I know various rules systems try to patch that up with exceptions, that's not the right approach. The natural 1 and natural 20 shouln't be patched, because they shouldn't exist in the first place.
  … except, of course, if you're using the CATENATIVE DOOMSDAY DICE CASCADER

DrSamCarter wrote:(I can't believe that (a) you googled "ghost and donut"* and (b) the internet provided.) / * Or something similar

Rule 34 is just a special case of some more general rule.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time": KETCHUP, KETCHUP AGAINST THE PUNSAWING OF THE BEANISHNESS

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:03 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Rule 34 is just a special case of some more general rule.

Yes: "People be kinky, yo."

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:33 am UTC

Yes, ggh.
Thank you for the Waterfall.
It is a delightful piece of Art.

Thank you, Time Posters.
Thank you, for letting me 'hang out' with the Cool Kids.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

1190: "Хуетень"

Postby thunk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:52 am UTC

ёб твою мать, an RNM! Why not a trip to Belgium?

Edit: The Ottish word "xuys" now sounds a lot more profane in my mind.
Last edited by thunk on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
troo dat

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:59 am UTC

This is a blindpost since I seem to have suffered SOO (Sudden Onset Outside) as of late*, but I just wanted to wish my fellow OTTers well after the recent anniversary of T** **d and mention again how molpish it is that the OTT still lives on three yips beyond Time. I love you xuys! Image

*I have a few more things to do out here before I molpy back in... but I'm looking forward to traversing a sea of blitzketchup soon and hopefully getting on a more regular otting schedule. I miss Waiting for it! Oh, and for some reason it seems to be a bit drippy down in the basement, must have been an OTTerfall up there somewhere...

Edit After Preview Ninja: Happy 200 posts, thunk!
Double Edit After Edit Ninja: Steambottle, it's possible I'm out of step with modern OTTish profanities! Ch*rping m*stard!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:09 am UTC

Welcome forward, BlitzGirl!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "виноградная лоза"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 am UTC

thunk wrote:ёб твою мать, an RNM! Why not a trip to Belgium?

Very fitting 200th post!
BlitzGirl wrote:This is a blindpost since I seem to have suffered SOO (Sudden Onset Outside) as of late*, but I just wanted to wish my fellow OTTers well after the recent anniversary of T** **d and mention again how molpish it is that the OTT still lives on three yips beyond Time. I love you xuys! Image

*I have a few more things to do out here before I molpy back in... but I'm looking forward to traversing a sea of blitzketchup soon and hopefully getting on a more regular otting schedule. I miss Waiting for it! Oh, and for some reason it seems to be a bit drippy down in the basement, must have been an OTTerfall up there somewhere...

Edit After Preview Ninja: Happy 200 posts, thunk!
Double Edit After Edit Ninja: Steambottle, it's possible I'm out of step with modern OTTish profanities! Ch*rping m*stard!
*dances the molpy dance*

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

KEEP CALM AND MOLPY ON

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:12 am UTC

The micromolpies are still after me. I've been sleeping a lot. Latest incarnation: pink eye. Woot.

My condolences to mrob and to macraw87. :( So sorry to hear about your losses.

It is treeish to see you in the present, macraw! (Thought I'm barely there myself right now). And you got to see Marsh'n. That is so cool. :)

I want to post and read more (I still have much ketchup to complete) but staying up past 3AMH is just helping the micromolpies win.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:02 am UTC

June Bug, you tell those micromolpies that if they don't leave you alone this very instant, I'll be after them with a wet dishcloth.

In a more serious note, the best thing you can do (besides seeing a doctor), is rest and keep warm.
Preemptively, ucims dads incantation :
ucim wrote:Sana te, sana, colita de rana; si no sana hoy, te sana mañana.

Happy 200th, thunk!
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:14 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Some of my mother's writing is in Gregg. Usually it's something I don't need to read, but when she was in a rush she'd use some of the short forms seen in that link. Including, yep, the memorial service plans. So I had to learn some of Mom's "Beanish" writing last week (and even the normal writing still gives me trouble).
That sounds simultaneously like both definitions of "awesomeful". It sounds like you're learning a lot about an unusual habit she had, which is molpish. On the other hand, when we were taking about the eulogy at my mom's service, my dad and both of my brothers and I all said that we didn't think we could give one, it would have been too much. But good on you for stepping up and doing that, and good luck with that and all of the little minutiae that are bound to pop up in the coming wips.

mrob27 wrote:Oh thank Randall, @ED answered the natural 20 question right away so I didn't have to think about doing that. :D
  … not that I like the answer. No action resolution system should include a blanket rule that, regardless of the conditions, there is always a 5% chance of utter success and a 5% chance of utter failure. Yes, I know various rules systems try to patch that up with exceptions, that's not the right approach. The natural 1 and natural 20 shouln't be patched, because they shouldn't exist in the first place.
  … except, of course, if you're using the CATENATIVE DOOMSDAY DICE CASCADER
The crit success/failure rules are intended to add another layer to the game. The GM still has the discretion to say a task is physically impossible, even with a natural 20, and crit success covers situations where you have a sudden moment of aptitude. Best Outside example I can think of is a mother lifting a flipped car to get to her child trapped under it, due to a massive rush of adrenaline. Under normal situations, she probably wouldn't even make it budge.

Also, 5th edition seems to have done away with critical failure, but it seems like most groups add it as a house rule since there so used to it.

Also also, I've never read MSPA, but now I think I'd like to start :D

thunk wrote:ёб твою мать, an RNM! Why not a trip to Belgium?

:azule:

BlitzGirl wrote:This is a blindpost since I seem to have suffered SOO (Sudden Onset Outside) as of late*, but I just wanted to wish my fellow OTTers well after the recent anniversary of T** **d and mention again how molpish it is that the OTT still lives on three yips beyond Time. I love you xuys! Image
BlitzGirl! Welcome Forward!

I was about to suggest that we send the molpies out on a search party, but that seems no longer necessary :)

lmjb1964 wrote:The micromolpies are still after me. I've been sleeping a lot. Latest incarnation: pink eye. Woot.

My condolences to mrob and to macraw87. :( So sorry to hear about your losses.

It is treeish to see you in the present, macraw! (Thought I'm barely there myself right now). And you got to see Marsh'n. That is so cool. :)

I want to post and read more (I still have much ketchup to complete) but staying up past 3AMH is just helping the micromolpies win.
Rest up and get better soon, lmjb!

It is treeish to be in the Present, and it was very cool meeting Marsh'n :)

And also it's 83, not 87 :P

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm UTC

"Ketchup" no longer looks like a real word.

@Eternal Density: thank you for linking the Temple of the Lava Bears series! I just finished it (I've been listening to it as a podcast on the way to FFS) and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I'm somewhere on NP2505… In other news, I'm "blitzing" my mom's writing (or which she left a lot) for eulogy purposes.

ggh wrote:My hope is that each of the symbols is a meanord. That would make the panther salve something described by 11 meanords. Seems like we'll know what's in it once we can read. :)

That's kind of like what you'd get if the glyphs were Gregg Shorthand.
  Some of my mother's writing is in Gregg. Usually it's something I don't need to read, but when she was in a rush she'd use some of the short forms seen in that link. Including, yep, the memorial service plans. So I had to learn some of Mom's "Beanish" writing last week (and even the normal writing still gives me trouble).
Baobabs - I hope her handwriting was good (or at least consistent.) My mom knew shorthand too - I'm not sure which one - but I must have been a horribly non-curious kid, because I never really asked about it. Fortunately for me and my siblings, she had given it up ages ago; with her handwriting very much affected by health issues, I would not have liked our chances to decipher it.

Best of luck with the eulogy. That must be some amazing stuff you're blitzing.

That shorthand page reminds me of something else I wonder about Beanish: how many symbols are we seeing? Part of the reason I can't really adjust to any of the transliterations is that they have to make assumptions about which symbols are equivalent. That last symbol in water gets called J, or that Canadian syllabics glyph that I can't write right now because my cut-n-paste is broken. The third character of the second speech and the third character of the sea on the map are also designated J, but there's quite some variety there. If this is like Gregg, those would probably be far enough apart that they'd count as different symbols.

For decree, not very original at this point, but count me happily among the family-brings-me-joy crowd. Also, as I look forward to our trip to the East Coast of the US, I'd like to mention a small something in the joy-bringing category: the noises that (bugs and frogs) make in the fields at night. I love those sounds. I miss them in New Zealand.
Agatha the Awesomeful

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:02 pm UTC

ggh wrote:For decree, not very original at this point, but count me happily among the family-brings-me-joy crowd. Also, as I look forward to our trip to the East Coast of the US, I'd like to mention a small something in the joy-bringing category: the noises that (bugs and frogs) make in the fields at night. I love those sounds. I miss them in New Zealand.
Ooh, you're coming to the eastern US? Might I ask whereabouts you'll be visiting?

Also, I am also firmly within the "family brings me joy" crowd.

addams

Re: 1190: "Time": ottify xir memetrash

Postby addams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:28 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
My family brings me some joy, caked in a thick layer of mustard. But I'm glad yours is better.
Correction: the OTT family brings me joy. I love you xuys.

The OTT family brings me joy. I love you xuys.

You are Family and Friends, to me.
I am grateful for Time with you.

Dear mrob27;
I wrote and delivered a eulogy for my Mother.
I also played a silver flute that day.
It was a sweet moment.

Thank you for sharing your life with us/me.
edit: And, you, too ggh.
ggh wrote: The noises that (bugs and frogs) make in the fields at night.
I love those sounds. I miss them in New Zealand.

New Zealand does not have bugs and frogs?
I'm so surprised.

Electric Mailboxes and no frogs. ...
New Zealand is different.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

Stumbled upon this very RELATED gif today, of OTTers watching a flutterbee:

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”