1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:26 am UTC

Febrion wrote:I fail a lot.
So do we all. And yet, we have a seaishly molpish community, where each of us, like unto the droplets that make up the vast ocean of the world, are next to nothing, but together we make up the sea. And that is awesomeful - a Holy Contradiction.

We don't have to "not fail". It's taken me a long time to learn this. The Prayer of BlitzGirl should never be forgotten.

Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!

edit: and with that, I'm Pope of NP 2519. How has the Prayer of BlitzGirl (or its underlying concepts) affected you or your view of the world?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:48 am UTC

SBN wrote:Wait, we're supposed to understand it? I certainly don't understand all of it. There was map magic, and star magic, and plant magic, and language magic, and I was just amazed and accepting of it, many times while feeling like I'd stumbled into the advanced class, and now there was no way I could slip out unnoticed.

:) You have captured perfectly how I feel so much of the time in this thread. All of these OTTers having these incredibly complicated discussions that are so far over my head. But has been said before, comprehension is not required for enjoyment.

ucim wrote:
So do we all. And yet, we have a seaishly molpish community, where each of us, like unto the droplets that make up the vast ocean of the world, are next to nothing, but together we make up the sea. And that is awesomeful - a Holy Contradiction.

We don't have to "not fail". It's taken me a long time to learn this. The Prayer of BlitzGirl should never be forgotten.

edit: and with that, I'm Pope of NP 2519. How has the Prayer of BlitzGirl (or its underlying concepts) affected you or your view of the world?

Jose

They are words that bring warmth and joy and comfort every time I read them, because they remind me of the great gift this thread has been. And it is a good reminder in the Outside as well, that there are many ways to Outside, and these differences only make the world richer.

My Outside is a weird combination of molpishness and *ndishness right now. I'm home with my parents and my sister, with more family coming, and that is a happy thing. But my father is so small and so weak, and it's really hard to see. On the other hand, I'm fortunate, in a way, that I am able to take care of my aging father. My boyfriend, whose father was only in his 60s when he died of cancer, would probably give a lot to be able to watch his father grow old. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm rambling. Anyway, I'm glad to have the chance to be here to help.

Thanks for listening.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

thunk

1190: "Lord High Toast"

Postby thunk » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:53 am UTC

Well that Prayer certainly codifies the need for diversity which I have believed in for a while now.

We're all in this together, even if there's the occasional drama.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:46 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote:Wait, we're supposed to understand it? I certainly don't understand all of it. There was map magic, and star magic, and plant magic, and language magic, and I was just amazed and accepting of it, many times while feeling like I'd stumbled into the advanced class, and now there was no way I could slip out unnoticed.

:) You have captured perfectly how I feel so much of the time in this thread. All of these OTTers having these incredibly complicated discussions that are so far over my head. But has been said before, comprehension is not required for enjoyment.
I couldn't put that better. Some conversations, I understand, and appreciate. The rest may pass completely over my head, but I appreciate nonetheless. You see, you fail to understand, you learn (even if just a tiny bit). The OTT is all the richer for these discussions.

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:

Jose

They are words that bring warmth and joy and comfort every time I read them, because they remind me of the great gift this thread has been. And it is a good reminder in the Outside as well, that there are many ways to Outside, and these differences only make the world richer.
This right here. This is very true.

lmjb1964 wrote:My Outside is a weird combination of molpishness and *ndishness right now. I'm home with my parents and my sister, with more family coming, and that is a happy thing. But my father is so small and so weak, and it's really hard to see. On the other hand, I'm fortunate, in a way, that I am able to take care of my aging father. My boyfriend, whose father was only in his 60s when he died of cancer, would probably give a lot to be able to watch his father grow old. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm rambling. Anyway, I'm glad to have the chance to be here to help.

Thanks for listening.
It does make sense. Taking care of someone implies that you care about them in the first place. It also creates interaction. Interaction in turn creates memories which are, in some way, the most precious possession we can have, and all that we leave behind us. Time created many memories.
Now I'm also rambling >.<
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:55 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

ucim wrote:Can you view source? If so, look for the source of the section that has the avatar. It also might be a cache thing - clear cache and cookies and the i-thing may become less confused. Or maybe Apple knows more about me than it's letting on. :)

It seems that view source is not possible without some workarounds. Clearing the cache however removed the punshoes, and the AotC avatar is back. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Re: But not for long.

Postby addams » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:27 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I fail to say no to magazine subscription sellers.

Smithsonian?
Or; PlayMopy?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

thunk

Re: 1190: "Orthonormal Basis"

Postby thunk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:59 am UTC

...might explain why I've been surrounded by raptors the last few months.

Anyway, I have no idea why I signed up for so many courses this semester. It's mustard. In fact, all my days are mustard. And every night, there's a Zanclean mustard tide in the form of homework.

...I think I'll let past me finish her tol pint.
troo dat

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Re: 1190: "big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff"

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:06 pm UTC

Greetings fellow Timewaiters, and those also who name themselves Initiates of Time, Grace and peace to y'all from our magnificent Lord Randall. Many Timeframes ago, when Time had but just begun, I had no knowledge of this forum. I followed the One True Comic as well as I was able for some time, but I did not Wait for It faithfully, I resumed my outside activities and soon forgot the OTC. I come to you now, having Waited through better than 250 Newpages since I happened upon the Thread some forty Timeframes ago, and find myself *very* late to the game. I have determined to follow the heroic example set by Blitzgirl, who, judging by several signatures, has joined y'all in the present.
I have arrived at a signpost she left in the past:

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 149 out of 259 pages.
Attack of the Trebuchet. NP 222.

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:
bouer wrote:Who needs their sanity. Read it all

Setting out upon this quest I am daunted by the journey that lies ahead, but shall remain steadfast in the hopes that I, along with my fellow travelers Rakhal and iskinner, shall someday achieve our goal if we Wait for It.

(Addendum: is "someday" right? I don't know what a day is, but I can think of no other word to replace it with.)
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Greetings fellow Timewaiters, and those also who name themselves Initiates of Time, Grace and peace to y'all from our magnificent Lord Randall. Many Timeframes ago, when Time had but just begun, I had no knowledge of this forum. I followed the One True Comic as well as I was able for some time, but I did not Wait for It faithfully, I resumed my outside activities and soon forgot the OTC. I come to you now, having Waited through better than 250 Newpages since I happened upon the Thread some forty Timeframes ago, and find myself *very* late to the game. I have determined to follow the heroic example set by Blitzgirl, who, judging by several signatures, has joined y'all in the present.

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:

Setting out upon this quest I am daunted by the journey that lies ahead, but shall remain steadfast in the hopes that I, along with my fellow travelers Rakhal and iskinner, shall someday achieve our goal if we Wait for It.

(Addendum: is "someday" right? I don't know what a day is, but I can think of no other word to replace it with.)

Welcome, GnomeAnne, Revealer the Recent! And best of luck on your Blitz! It truly is a momentous undertaking, this far in the Future.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:40 pm UTC

I fell back in the basement for a while there. I was all busy making things like this.
HES wrote:Mandatory vacation castle pic:
Spoiler:

Penrhyn Castle, North Wales? Been there a few times on family holidays.

Sorry I never have much to say these days, even when I've been away a while... I just don't have the motivation for in-depth OTTing any more...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I fell back in the basement for a while there. I was all busy making things like this.

Just dropping in to say: Molpish. Baobabish.
Spoiler:
Waterottermolpish, to be precise. Image Hi, yappo!

And welcome, GnomeAnne, Revealer The Recent!
Randallspeed on your Blitz!

Related News wrote:The Most Seaish Sandcastle of the World is complete now.
However it does not count as a world record because it broke down, and there is no more guarantee that there aren't some IKEA parts inside.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
„Zum nächsten Bild“ means “To the next picture”.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

thunk

Re: 1190: "Deliberately Zanclean"

Postby thunk » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:52 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Setting out upon this quest I am daunted by the journey that lies ahead, but shall remain steadfast in the hopes that I, along with my fellow travelers Rakhal and iskinner, shall someday achieve our goal if we Wait for It.

Wow, impressive!
This is not a journey for the faint of heart. But I know you can do it.
troo dat

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:56 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I fell back in the basement for a while there. I was all busy making things like this.

No joy.

"This video contains content from Starz Media LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

yappobiscuits wrote:I just don't have the motivation for in-depth OTTing any more...
You are welcome to OTT in the shallows too. It's molpish to have you back.

GnomeAnne wrote:Greetings fellow Timewaiters, and those also who name themselves Initiates of Time
Welcome GnomeAnne! It's baobaby to see that even this many yips after Time there are new Initiates! And new Blitzers too! You are embarking on an unprecedented journey; when BlitzGirl (our BlitzGirl the First) first set out, the OTT was but one tenth of its present scope. The sea is big, and gets bigger! The journey ahead is perilous and fraught with danger, hazard, and risk. You will need to safely get past the "Safety Hats", the evil Cookie Clicker (which was Ottified into something extremely molpish; wait for it!), the Crisis of Vytron, the code of 13, dots and dashes, and many other dangers that cannot be uttered. But you will find that even after the Voldeframe, the OTT has doubled and continues apace.

Take a long pint whenever you feel the need, and if you ultimately decide that the Blitz is not the way you'd like to participate, you are welcome nonetheless. Even the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction has not gone on such a Quest. But if you persevere (and survive!), your rewards will be like unto the sea.

GnomeAnne wrote:(Addendum: is "someday" right? I don't know what a day is, but I can think of no other word to replace it with.)
I don't know what a day is either. Dix and dip are favored (by different sects, of course - Ni ni ni ni chihuahua ping pong ball!) for what I think you might be referring to, but there are other locutions which have been pressed into use for this cause too.

ZoomanSP wrote:Clearing the cache however removed the punshoes, and the AotC avatar is back. :)
The iThing, it seems, had the knack
of putting the OTT out of whack.
But wiping its brain
though it seems inhumane
brought everything molpishly back.

Or could it perhaps be that puns
are things that for safety, it shuns?
In that case the shoes
with the teeth are the dues
paid for lexical-style overruns.

Jose
edit: quote mustard. And then quote mustard editing mustard.
Last edited by ucim on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:27 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:09 am UTC

HES wrote:Mandatory vacation castle pic:
Spoiler:

Penrhyn Castle, North Wales? Been there a few times on family holidays.

Sorry I never have much to say these days, even when I've been away a while... I just don't have the motivation for in-depth OTTing any more...

Unfortunately:

Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.07.22 PM.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:48 am UTC

The sweet lazy daze of summer, like Siren of Old,
have called Posters away to Love, Adventure, Friends, Family and Fun.

The following post is not related.
It may be the only unrelated post.

What I did on your summer vacation.
I created the recipe of a Bad Smell.

Moth Balls.
Spoiler:
I had never seen nor smelled a mothball until I was an adult.
Locals insist mothballs are an effective repulsive weapon against rodents.

I live in the near wilderness.
Nature is out to get us all.

Following the advice of established locals.
I made and placed sachets of mothballs in my car.

After placement, my car smells of a men's urinal.
(gack) Yet, no mice and no rats...? it might be ok.

My cozy little emergency bed is unusable.
...Still...
Cantaloupe.
Spoiler:
A sweet, ripe, locally grown cantaloupe.

cantaloupe tastes sweet.
cantaloupe smells rank.
Automobile
Spoiler:
Windows rolled up.
Machine set in warm summer's sunlight for half hour or more.

Chemists have a word for what I discovered upon opening the car door.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:17 am UTC

Firstly: Why am I unable to post images or links?
Having said that...
In my travels through the sands of Time the urge to coma became nearly overpowering, I had begun to nod off when Randall, in his great wisdom and mighty benevolence sent a mighty earthquake to awaken me. I have included images of the destruction.
Spoiler:
Never Forget.jpg.jpg
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=53403&t=1

Nebraska earthquake.jpg
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=53402&t=1

Fifty seven nearly consecutive timeframes of comalessness have written a song [Edit]that has since been redacted due to it being very poorly written[/Edit].
Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to Wait,
Oh brave Sir Robin.
He was not at all afraid
To Wait for many ‘frames.
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin.

FULL STOP FULL STOP FULL STOP

Brave Sir Robin Waited For It.
Bravely Waited For It For It.
When midnight* reared it's ugly head,
He bravely Waited through The Thread.
Yes, brave Sir Robin read about
The Thread that never would go out.
Bravely taking to his seat,
He didn’t even stop to eat.
Bravest of the braaaave, Sir Robin!

*What’s “midnight” you ask?**
**It be Outsider slang for the time when the day-star doth not shine in their world.
***How did you get here?***

This fascinating post was on page 292...

and this appeared on page 300 along with a great many other posts referencing whistles:

I Reckon I be missing something.

The encouragement be greatly appreciated.

BlitzGirl has left several signposts to the future present:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote: The Time Less Traveled

Two Times diverged in a forum thread:
The Now, and newpages long since made.
But which to wander? In my head
Current posting, the past unread,
Meant I would not be long delayed.

But lack context? I wouldn't dare -
So back into the past I went.
The One True Comic waited there
With newpix left by users fair
And discussions of religious bent.

Both Times that day appeared as just.
I chose the posts that had amassed.
And in Time, I knew I surely must
Re-glimpse the Now that was discussed,
Although by then it would be Past.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere newpix and newpix hence:
Two Times diverged in a thread and I —
I chose the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 229 out of 309 pages.
The Architect Age. NP 355.

After a good long coma, I resumed my quest and quickly found the second signpost:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 100 out of 229 pages.
The "Wanna Swim?" Period. NP 176.

I have persevered past the 100th newpage of the thread of Time - yet my destination seems ever farther from me. Commemorating this moment with another signpost to my future self that I hope one day to see again in my travels, despite the fact that this post will only increase my journey.

Also, something about seminal coffee and/or bacon. This is a strange, strange Time period, my friends.

It worries me that my markers are now two posts deep. This journey is taking far longer than I anticipated. I hope it will not last for all Time! I despair at the thought of wandering through endless loops of signposts within signposts, forever lost in the past. :(

BlitzGirl wrote:Page 229 Addendum:

PhoenixRising wrote:Preserved for BlitzGirl as she gets further in her journey: an ancient sign written in a strange script. If you translate the script, it says "abandon sanity, all ye who enter here. This be the land of strangeness and madness Reckoning."

And the coffee comments are only about to get wilder. You can't begin to realize yet...

macraw83 wrote:
It's not just that Time period that is strange, caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something) still keeps popping up in recent newpix, even over a hundred newpages later...

I alter my earlier statement: I despair at the thought of wandering through endless loops of signposts within signposts, forever reading of caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something).

Whizbang wrote:Image

azule wrote:<snip>
Coma is a sickness. You should not want to succumb. Coma is like original sin, we're all inflicted by it but must one day find freedom from it.

Alas that my imperfect body must leave the thread of truth, but I can no longer resist, even with the aid of various permutations of caffeine, coffee, semen, cancer, monster, and babies.

I have Waited for It for 3421/2519 Newpages.

Spoiler:
Due to lack of sleep, memories of the events of Newpages after 300 were somewhat hazy, I have since re-read those.

EDIT:spoilered quotes and added footnote
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:33 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait For It.

thunk

1190: "time to curse yourself for not taking up coding"

Postby thunk » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:50 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Firstly: Why am I unable to post images or links?

As an anti-spam measure, you will not be able to post images or links in your first five posts. This was stated in the forum rules, which it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with.

That being said, good luck with the blitz! 342 pages already, wow.

Also, being rather closer to the epicenter of the earthquake you mentioned, I was rudely awoken as well.
troo dat

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:58 am UTC

Hi yappo! :)

Welcome, GnomeAnne! Randallspeed on your blitz!

Sustainabilizer wrote:
However it does not count as a world record because it broke down, and there is no more guarantee that there aren't some IKEA parts inside.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
sandcastle.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:35 am UTC

ucim wrote:

No joy.

"This video contains content from Starz Media LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Considering that the video contains Yappo's own music, you'd think he could decide who could watch it. I did manage to play one of the links on the facepage, and had my usual awed response. (Not listening to more was due to too much Outside.)

addams wrote:What I did on your summer vacation.
I created the recipe of a Bad Smell.

Moth Balls.[spoiler]I had never seen nor smelled a mothball until I was an adult.
Locals insist mothballs are an effective repulsive weapon against rodents.

I live in the near wilderness.
Nature is out to get us all.

Following the advice of established locals.
I made and placed sachets of mothballs in my car.

Be careful, I don't think you want to breathe mothball smell in a small space. (Besides it not being pleasant.)

thunk wrote:Also, being rather closer to the epicenter of the earthquake you mentioned, I was rudely awoken as well.

Glad you and GnomeAnne are ok. We rode out Hermine fairly well here. Had to unclog the pool filter, and we lost power for awhile, but not during the night, it waited until I made my morning cup of coffee. I've got some branches I need to clean up, but no damage to anything except a night's sleep.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Sorry I never have much to say these days, even when I've been away a while... I just don't have the motivation for in-depth OTTing any more...

Unfortunately:

The internet has many ways.
https://soundcloud.com/owen-evans

Taixzo?
Can you find the Time and Motivation for superficial postings?
I'll stop if you will re-start.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:13 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Greetings fellow Timewaiters, and those also who name themselves Initiates of Time, Grace and peace to y'all from our magnificent Lord Randall. Many Timeframes ago, when Time had but just begun, I had no knowledge of this forum. I followed the One True Comic as well as I was able for some time, but I did not Wait for It faithfully, I resumed my outside activities and soon forgot the OTC. I come to you now, having Waited through better than 250 Newpages since I happened upon the Thread some forty Timeframes ago, and find myself *very* late to the game. I have determined to follow the heroic example set by Blitzgirl, who, judging by several signatures, has joined y'all in the present.

Also, THIS:

I'm pretty sure when I said that there were only a few hundred pages, and the story was still being told.

How did you all manage to make nearly 100000 posts after the story ended?

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

bouer wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:Also, THIS:

I'm pretty sure when I said that there were only a few hundred pages, and the story was still being told.
How did you all manage to make nearly 100000 posts after the story ended?[/quote]

To find out, I guess you'll just have to
Spoiler:
Read it all :)
In short, when everything is RELATED, nothing ever really ends. Pull up a chair (but be careful of the Comfy Chair) and join the party. It's simmered down a bit, but there are several layers of Time After Time (prequels, sequels, paraquels (Time is wibbly wobbly), metaquels (the OTT as story subject), a seaish amount of visual and aural RELATED creative output, and general molpishness as befits a community that grew up around the insanity that forms the quantum mechanics of the creation of the One True Author.

Welcome back!

addams wrote:The internet has many ways.
Thanks addams! Why didn't I think of that?

You're not the [non-computer-stuff-person] you like to claim to be any more! :)

addams wrote:I'll stop if you will re-start.
Don't stop! Redundancy is molpish!

Jose

Link

Postby Link » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:59 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
Anyway, I have no idea why I signed up for so many courses this semester. It's mustard. In fact, all my days are mustard. And every night, there's a Zanclean mustard tide in the form of homework.

I fell into that m*stardtrap last yip and ended up failing one huge and important compulsory course and having to drop a small elective. Thankfully I can take the compulsory course again this yip and I ended up with exactly the necessary amount of credits last yip, but it was a close call. Keep an eye on your metal health, and remember that there's no shame in dropping a course if it's just too much! That having been said, Randallspeed!

GnomeAnne wrote:Greetings fellow Timewaiters, and those also who name themselves Initiates of Time, Grace and peace to y'all from our magnificent Lord Randall.

[snip]

Welcome, GnomeAnne, Revealer the Recent! The word I think you're looking for is "dip" or "dix". :)

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

bouer wrote:How did you all manage to make nearly 100000 posts after the story ended?

Ninja'd4ly by ucim, but while there are not quite 100000 posts after T** **D (yet,
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
), it made me notice (I can't recall whether somemolpy mentioned it on the appropriate newpage 12 newpages back) that there are now more posts in the OTT after T** **D than during the RUN. run of the OTC.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

Now that I got a chance to listen...
yappobiscuits wrote:https://soundcloud.com/owen-evans
Awesomeful, as always! Did the youtube version have a music video, or just a still image?

Jose

HES

Postby HES » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:22 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Did the youtube version have a music video, or just a still image?

"Footage comes from the druids' dance scene in Outlander."
Which is presumably what triggered content ID.
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: "Time" – Thanks for waiting for it!

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:35 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Conference Proceedings

Image Here is the current version. Image

Updated: Image
  • added BlitzGirl's paper
  • worked on my own paper

mrob27 wrote:I have noticed that the Proceedings suddenly grew to an excessive size (10 MiB for only 72 pages), something which usually happens when prople add 10-megapixel images and don't bother to scale them to an appropriate resolution for the actual size on the page. No, we do not need to be able to zoom in and read the writing on the presenter's name-badge. Okay, maybe you do, but I don't.

I do, that's why I included those images in full resolution.
But I see your point.

mrob27 wrote:  Here (attached) is the presently-latest (2016 March 1st) version of the Proceedings with 144dpi images.
  [Attachment, see Spoiler: at the end of this post, filename "proceedings-20160301.pdf", size 1.96 MiB]

How did you produce that version?
I'm asking because I'd like to automate the process to create a screen resolution version in addition to the full resolution one, so I can offer both.

BTW, if you are interested in it – or anyOTTer else is – I can give you access to the Git repository with the LaTeX source tree.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
building-site-7.png
building-site-7.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
Image Help addams!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

No joy.

Yeah I've had a few reports of this. Seems nobody in America can watch it. Here's a soundcloud link instead.

Wow, never fails to surprise me how on-the-ball OTTers always are. Ninja'd even on the subject of my own content!
HES wrote:
ucim wrote:Did the youtube version have a music video, or just a still image?

"Footage comes from the druids' dance scene in Outlander."
Which is presumably what triggered content ID.

Yeah, as the description says...
"Footage comes from the druids' dance scene in Outlander. Partly because it fits the mood I was going for in the music, partly because no footage has yet emerged of the actual dance in the play, and partly because this scene is what I was actually given as reference for what the directors were going for in the scene and with the music."

It was a choice between having an awesome video or a legal video, and I went with awesome, at the expense of many people not being able to see it. I should upload a second version for those people...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:29 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ucim wrote:

No joy.

Yeah I've had a few reports of this. Seems nobody in America can watch it. Here's a soundcloud link instead.

Thank you! That really is amazing!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:27 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
thunk wrote:Seen on BBC:

Oh good, I'm glad they missed GingerCat! At least, I hope they did. It only says "trying to avoid." :(

It's okay. I only exist in places for an unspecified amount of time, then unexist whenever whoever saw me stops looking.

He saw me, played the brown trumpet and looked away (the threat of crashing will do that to you, I hear) and in looking away, I no longer existed in the path. :)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

azule
Saved

Blind/Lazy Posting

Postby azule » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 am UTC

Link wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:(Addendum: is "someday" right? I don't know what a day is, but I can think of no other word to replace it with.)

Welcome, GnomeAnne, Revealer the Recent! The word I think you're looking for is "dip" or "dix". :)

This isn't the right quote but isn't "midnight" possible to OTTify too? Is night nix or nip? "It's nip Outside." So "midnip" then. Or I was thinking something about dark frames. Not sure how to phrase it...

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:18 am UTC

Link wrote:Welcome, GnomeAnne, Revealer the Recent! The word I think you're looking for is "dip" or "dix". :)
No love for xip? It's slightly antiquated, but still perfectly serviceable ;)

Welcome to the OTT, GnomeAnne! Randallspeed on your blitz!
Welcome forward, Yappo and Bouer!
Happy 1500, ZoomanSP!
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:59 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

karhell wrote:Happy 1500, ZoomanSP!

Thanks! :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:

Steakish! :)

yappobiscuits wrote:
ucim wrote:

No joy.

Wow, never fails to surprise me how on-the-ball OTTers always are. Ninja'd even on the subject of my own content!

You know, this is the place where the true masters of <computery stuff> (addams, lmjb1964, …) meet.

yappobiscuits wrote:"Footage comes from the druids' dance scene in Outlander. Partly because it fits the mood I was going for in the music, partly because no footage has yet emerged of the actual dance in the play, and partly because this scene is what I was actually given as reference for what the directors were going for in the scene and with the music."

It was a choice between having an awesome video or a legal video, and I went with awesome, at the expense of many people not being able to see it. I should upload a second version for those people...

Yeah. In most cases you have the choice between being awesomeful or being legal. That's why I like Free Software / Open Source so much: it allows for both.

Redundant thanks to GLR for releasing 1190: Time under a free license (CC-BY-NC 2.5). Otherwise ZoomanSP's awesomeful OTTification above – and all the others – would be illegal.
Image Help addams!

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Redundant thanks to GLR for releasing 1190: Time under a free license (CC-BY-NC 2.5). Otherwise ZoomanSP's awesomeful OTTification above – and all the others – would be illegal.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but as far as I can tell the WAZ hasn't released the base image under a free licence, so... yeah.

I'm definitely seconding the thanks to the GLR, and the appraisal of ZoomanSP's ottification as awesomeful. Strictly speaking, though (as far as I understand intellectual property law - and I am not a lawyer), to be legal any ottification needs to:
  • explicitly be itself placed under a CC-BY-NC licence or a compatible free licence;
  • identify all the sources that were used;
  • contain no material from third-party sources unless that has also verifiably been published under a compatible free licence that allows derivative works and prohibits commercial use.
In particular, a free licence that allows commercial use [Edit:] and stipulates that derivative works must be similarly licensed (such as the standard licences used on Wikipedia) is not compatible with a CC-BY-NC (NC = noncommercial) licence.

In practice, though, I suppose one could regard all ottifications (and other manipulations of xkcd content) published in these forums as implicitly acknowledging the link to xkcd as the original source and therefore as implicitly published under the same licence. If this view is valid, then indeed most ottifications are legal; anyway the GLR has been tolerant of them and can be expected to continue being so.

Edit: Sorry - some of what I originally wrote would be true only if the GLR would publish his comics under a CC-BY-NC-SA licence, but in fact the CC-BY-NC licence that he actually uses contains no "Share Alike" clause. Net result is that the assumptions I need to make to see this thread's ottifications and other OTC- and Othercomic-derived works legally in the clear are fewer and on less shaky ground than I originally thought.
Last edited by svenman on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

Mrorl said:

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Upgrade Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:11 am UTC

*molpies in*
Hi!

Todip I upgraded my leopad to Android Marshmallow! It was on Kitkat. (i.e from 4.4.3 (or thereabouts) to 6.0.1). The new version is shiny and will take a little while to get fully used to. But it seems molpish so far.
<computerystuff>I had to flash the latest TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project (it's a custom 'recovery' that lets you do all sorts of useful/dangerous stuff when a leopad is rebooted into recovery mode)) with Odin (the Samsung (leopad manufacturer) tool for overwriting the critical operating system parts of a leopad) so I could make a complete backup, then I flashed a new (Lollipop, i.e. 5.1) bootloader with Odin so it would be able to run Marshmallow at all. Then with TWRP I installed the Marshmallow ROM, as well as SuperSU (that let users like myself have root access to change stuff we need to change, while using the leopad in a normal mode) and OpenGApps (that installs the most critical Google apps like the Google app store so other apps can be installed). (Side note: GApps has a weird permissions issue in which the changes to the permissions system make it crash constantly until you delete the permissions file and reboot.) Also with TWRP I flashed the appropriate version of Xposed which allows various operating system features that normally can't be changed to be customized, by installing various plugin modules.

Once that was done I could install apps (I was able to back up a lot of them so I didn't need to re-download everything) and customise stuff. Also, the phone didn't work: it was not able to detect my SIM card. (Actually, the phone radio probably didn't work at all.) After a lot of research I was able to fix that by downloading an appropriate stock Samsung Lollipop ROM, extracting just the modem.bin file and flashing that to my leopad using Odin. The catch was that everyone said to use the 'PHONE' option of Odin, but it's been renamed to 'CP' without explanation because reasons :P
</computerystuff>

So that was my dip. (Oh and the way Google Play Movies stores files has changes so my backups of that were of no use :( )
<ETA>M*stard, I logged into Audible (Amazon's Audiobook thing) and some of my downloaded audiobooks have inexplicably become undownloaded. WHY?</ETA>

balthasar_s wrote:the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

Mrorl said:

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Cliffhanger!

Also I'm shocked that the name GnomeAnne wasn't taken a few wips ago :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:07 pm UTC

svenman wrote:(Stuff about free licences and derivative works)

Sorry - I had to correct some of what I wrote above because I mixed up the CC licence that the GLR uses with a similar but slightly more restrictive one. I edited my above post accordingly.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:07 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

You're quite good at fetching the Othercomics in time.
troo dat

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”