1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SilentTimer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:45 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Steakish OTThercomic, Sustainabilizer!
Millinewpixed.

Something is happening right now which is as subtle as the Flood at its beginning, as interesting and as dangerous, but not too similar.

Did you notice …
… Sustainabilizer's previous OTTification?

Sustainabilizer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:making the STAF play music,
Baobabs.⁷
Yeah. Incredibly steakish. :shock:

Hmm… pope. Haven't been for a while.
Optional decree:
Notice something, or create
something to notice.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:22 pm UTC

For decree:

I noticed a message from GLR on the xkcd homepage, under the logo:
GLR wrote:Note: Since a lot of new people are here looking for this chart today,
I'll be posting Wednesday's comic on Thursday instead.

(referring to the still current OtherComic)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:47 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:For decree:

I noticed a message from GLR on the xkcd homepage, under the logo:
GLR wrote:Note: Since a lot of new people are here looking for this chart today,
I'll be posting Wednesday's comic on Thursday instead.

(referring to the still current OtherComic)

Yes, it has popped up in my Facebook feed a few times today, suggesting that it is reaching a wider audience than normally occurs for xkcd comics. (I've seen one or two other comics -- and not Time -- shared by my nerdier friends, but never repeated shares of the current comic.)

macraw83

Re: 1190: "Time": CAVEISH BAOBABBIES ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby macraw83 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

I swear I wasn't in the basement. I just spent the last two weepends traveling, and even though I've been lurking and staying mostly ketchupped I haven't had much to say.

For decree: I noticed this mornip that Pokémon Go no longer works on my MTA, because it is a rooted non-stock OS. And it's not worth downgrading to the stock non-rooted OS just to continue to play a broken shell of what could be a good hotdog, given some further enhancements and support, but one that still is not very good at the present. However, it is RELATED to this pastpost that I ketchupped this mornip:
Link wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Todip I upgraded my leopad to Android Marshmallow!
Why didn't you go for CyanogenMod? It has some really molpish additional features that stock Android doesn't have AFAIK. The system profiles and built-in equaliser are particularly treeish. Also it has root support and lots of extra security out-of-the-box. As an example of a nifty thing to do: I set up my system profiles to automatically disable my lock screen when I'm connected to my home WiFi, so I can use my phone immediately when I press the power button. (There's a tiny crawlpy with re-enabling the lock screen in that it doesn't work until after you wake the phone up by pressing the power button, but I fixed that with Automate, which can respond to changes of the CM system profile!)
Agreed, after having switched to CM a few yips ago I have to say it feels like the OS that Android has tried to be. There's so many customization options, so much control over the device and apps, and it runs pretty smoothly. Never had any issues with it.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:28 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I swear I wasn't in the basement. I just spent the last two weepends traveling, and even though I've been lurking and staying mostly ketchupped I haven't had much to say.

For decree: I noticed this mornip that Pokémon Go no longer works on my MTA, because it is a rooted non-stock OS. And it's not worth downgrading to the stock non-rooted OS just to continue to play a broken shell of what could be a good hotdog, given some further enhancements and support, but one that still is not very good at the present.

Would you be interested in an OTTified Pokémon Go? (And anyone else, for that matter?) I need to make an app to learn AR stuff on, and that sounds like a good potential candidate.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:39 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
macraw83 wrote:I swear I wasn't in the basement. I just spent the last two weepends traveling, and even though I've been lurking and staying mostly ketchupped I haven't had much to say.

For decree: I noticed this mornip that Pokémon Go no longer works on my MTA, because it is a rooted non-stock OS. And it's not worth downgrading to the stock non-rooted OS just to continue to play a broken shell of what could be a good hotdog, given some further enhancements and support, but one that still is not very good at the present.

Would you be interested in an OTTified Pokémon Go? (And anyone else, for that matter?) I need to make an app to learn AR stuff on, and that sounds like a good potential candidate.

Yes!

I'm still playing Pokémon Go, and enjoying it despite some frustrations. But an OTTified version would obviously be awesomeful and wowterful.

Speaking of treeish, I forgot to mention the treeishness of Sustainabilizer's ottification. But I noticed that others did, and it reminded me to do the same. :)

ETA And I have an OTTer meetup tomorrow! Woot!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Link

Postby Link » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Yes! Yeeeeeeeessssssss! OMR, YES!

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 8

Postby Gingercat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 pm UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 8! The theme of today's story is "Torgos in the Sky With Giants", where Torgos and Co. show that no matter what type of giant it is, if it's on his bad side, it's going to get roasted... Or blended.

<- Volume 7

Standard Disclaimer:
Spoiler:
(As always, unless something is prefaced with "OOC", references to "I" or "me" are completely in-character, telling the story from his point of view as if this is his journal. Occasionally liberties must be taken, such as referring to dice rolls; let's just chalk those up to him firmly believing that the gods roll dice sometimes to determine how they'll treat him and others in various situations just for fun. It's not entirely inaccurate...)

The journal continues here, the pages sporting wisps of rather solid-feeling cloud, like damp cotton wool:

Spoiler:
I catch up with the newest Wizard addition to our adventuring party and add a couple of new spells to my spellbook from his! Likewise, he copies some useful ones out of mine, including Leomund's Tiny Hut. The sheer usefulness of that spell to any adventuring party cannot be stated clearly enough, and having more than one of us able to cast it makes for additional versatility.

[The journal briefly devolves into rambling thoughts on the nature of magic, and how it should be possible to create spells as well as copy them; as it turns out, his fellow wizard studied under a master who had this exact same theory, and has written down his research in a hefty tome.]

...Just imagine, empowering a Fireball spell with a built-in Lightning Bolt! And frost, necromantic and pure-type energy as well, it would be called Chromatic Bomb! All it would take is... But no, hm, if mixed incorrectly the magics would become unstable and either fizzle or explode the instant they're cast... Perhaps THAT outcome could be built into a customised Glyph of Warding? Oh ho! Torgos's Glyph of Chromatic Bomb...

AHEM. That's all well and good, but there are other places and times for such thoughts. I need to note down the rest of what has happened in the interim since my last update! Where was I... Oh yes, the spell copying and the associated wizard. Like me, he's from a Sage background so he's quite knowledgable. Many hours have been spent in his presence discussing magical theory, and he's determined to try and finish his master's research. His goals absolutely align with my own in that regard, so I'm more than happy to assist where I am able, and it means that I'll probably see some truly fascinating places I wouldn't otherwise get to experience! He informed us that in order to finish his master's research, he needs no less than the heart of a Greater Air Elemental or something similar, and something like that is only going to be available on the Plane of Air.

Naturally, I'm completely on board with heading somewhere like that, having never personally been on any planes of existence other than the Prime Material Plane. The others in the party are also quite excited by the idea of seeing something new, most of them having never seen the Plane of Air either. It's quickly agreed that that's our next destination. But how do we get there? Another new experience, of course: Teleportation! Specifically, a Scroll of Plane Shift designed by his master, which "should" put us in the general vicinity of where we need to be... Depending, of course, on how familiar the caster is with the area being teleported to. Much like a literal-minded genie, you get exactly what you ask for, not necessarily exactly what you want. The chance of success increases in direct proportion to the familiarity of the caster with the target location.

In this case, our Wizard friend had what he felt could be termed a reasonable idea of the destination, but having never been there or seen it for himself, there was a very real risk of ending up somewhere far, far from where we actually need to be, or possibly somewhere like directly in the middle of a catastrophic lightning storm. Still, there is little reward that comes without risk, and this is essentially where we want to go next, so there's nothing for it but to try it and see. If the gods are merciful, we'll at least survive the initial teleport, and can regroup when we arrive, uh, wherever we end up. With full agreement from the group that this is what we want, he instructs us to link arms while he reads the scroll...

As soon as he finishes reading the scroll, there is the unbelievably strange feeling of being *shoved* through the borders between the planes of existence, as if a giant hand has grabbed me and began pushing me through some very thick taffy, at an uncomfortable speed. That's not a perfect description of the feeling, but it's the best I can do; I'm not sure there are sufficient words in the Common Tongue to properly describe it. I can tell you now, dear journal: Mortals aren't meant to do that. The planar shifting tore at the very fibres of our being, and every one of us suffered some physical damage from the shift. For some of the members of the party, it was very nearly lethal!

On the flipside of the shift, we find that we have materialised in the air (naturally), a few feet above what looks to be thick cloud. We don't really have time to be concerned, because the gravity on this plane immediately grabs hold of us and pulls us (what I assume to be) "down", straight at the cloud below us. Thankfully it's like falling onto a very soft, very luxurious bed; we sink a few inches into the cloud which softens the impact and proves to be much like walking around in thick, compacted cotton wool. After a sigh of relief from everyone, we start looking around and taking it all in. As far as the eye can see in all directions, there is cloud. Some of it rises hundreds of feet into the air in billowing towers; some of it crackles and thunders with lightning in huge dark swarms; the section that we are on extends for a few hundred feet in each direction and then peters out into thin air. The sheer scale of everything completely dwarfs us, and it occurs to me that I have absolutely no idea how we're supposed to get around while here. Sure, the cloud can be walked on it seems, but there are very large gaps of thin air in between sections of cloud, they're all on different Z-levels (even with the cloud as soft as it is, a fall from a sufficient height will be damaging or even fatal) and we don't exactly have any reliable ways for us all to fly.

A quick conference among ourselves later, we decide that the first order of business is to rest and recover from the shock of the teleportation. It's pretty cold here, windy, and there's a lazy drift of snowflakes in the air. Not thick at all, but enough to add to the chill of the place, which makes the warm and cozy interior of the Tiny Hut spell all the more appealing for a rest. I set up a Tiny Hut, we begin our rest, and organise who will take the necessary watches. I take the first watch, and nothing eventful happens except for a light dusting of snow starting to settle on the dome we're resting in (a good Encounter Check roll, means no random encounters). The second watch also reports nothing of interest; the snow continues to settle on the dome, gradually reducing visibility to zero from within it (another good roll for encounters, but a bad one for the Weather Check roll means the weather slowly worsens). It's near the end of the third and final watch of the rest period that things get interesting due to a particularly poor Encounter Check roll...

[OOC: Keep in mind that from this point, everything that happens is utterly ad-lib. In the GM's words after all is said and done: "Well, I wasn't expecting giants..." He is amazing when it comes to modifying the campaign on the fly to support emergent gameplay.]

Suddenly, the snow that has completely covered the dome starts getting brushed away. Soon, a Cloud Giant is visible, towering above the dome, looking down at it with obvious curiosity. He knocks on the dome, and says something in Giantish. The wizard, surprisingly, speaks Giantish as one of his languages (I myself can speak Draconic, Celestial, Common, Hobgoblin and Elvish, with a basic understanding of Goblin now as well) and translates: "Come out of your dome!" Now, in my travels I've picked up some knowledge of Giantkin, including Cloud Giants. I know that, alignment-wise, they're usually either Neutral Good or Neutral Evil; either way, not an immediate threat. And if he did prove to be hostile, we're quite experienced in "dealing with" hostile giants by now! With this in mind, we exit the dome, which vanishes once I leave it. Looking up at him, I can see that he's rather well dressed, in the manner of minor nobility. He says something else, and the wizard decides to translate for us in both directions:

[Giant] "Hmm! Little tiny people! I haven't seen anything like you before. Where did you come from?"

[Wizard] "Greetings, friend! We are travellers from the Prime Material Plane!"

[Giant] "Indeed? While I've heard of that place, I've never been there. What brings you to my lands?"

[Wizard, to us] "What should we tell him?"

We decide that we've got nothing to lose by stating our business, and tell him that we seek the Sea of Storms, which as far as we are aware is a massive section of truly severe storms, an absolute maelstrom of energy somewhere in this realm. This makes him laugh quite hard, and he tells us that we are quite a long way away from that location. My immediate thought on this is that if we're a long way from there in Giant terms, then it must be a truly epic distance in terms of creatures our size. He invites us back to his house for further discussion, since he can see that the chill here is beginning to get to us, and it's unlikely that we will be able to find our way around ourselves. Besides, he's fascinated by us. He doesn't strike me as being inherently evil, based on his interactions with us so far, so I tell the others that I'm willing to go with him and see where things lead. They agree, we all climb onto his hand, and he takes off flying. Up, up and more up we go, through cloudbanks and huge expanses of empty air, until he touches down in front of what I can only describe as a "small cloud palace". The cloudground here is a lot more solid, feeling more like very slightly marshy ground or perhaps sandy soil instead of the "soft bedding" experience of the cloud we ended up on initially. This particular section of cloudground extends for as far as I can see in any direction.

Fairly nearby is an orchard, with apples the size of wagons hanging from trees I can barely describe the scale of. Near the orchard is a pumpkin patch with pumpkins the size of small houses. Playing in the orchard are what I assume are our host's children; 10 to 12 feet tall, with obvious family features inherited from him. He takes us inside as he calls his children over for a look at us, and puts us on his massive kitchen table. He gets a plate and serves up some cheese, apple, meat and gravy; although he's trying to adjust portion size to be more appropriate to us, the sections of food we're provided are still utterly staggering. You could easily go for a swim in the gravy! He gets what appear to be sewing thimbles to provide us with drinks, and even those are still big enough to literally drown ourselves in booze if we so chose. Via the translating wizard, we give our thanks for his hospitality as his children openly stare at and analyse us. None of us mind the scrutiny; I imagine that we would be just as fascinated if pixies or the like of a relative size difference made themselves known to us!

As we eat and drink, the children lose interest and go back to their activities. The giant talks to us about his life and asks us to describe ours. He's consuming a heroic amount of alcohol even for a Giantkin, and the conversation slowly reveals that he is essentially under the bootheel of his liege, a Storm Giant. While he is minor nobility, being a land owner, the storm giant (who I will refer to from now on as SG for simplicity) is higher up the ranks of Giantkin and is basically using his position of power to take what he wants, when he wants, and uses threats of violence or abandonment to stay in power and expand his influence. I immediately decide that this SG *very much* rubs me the wrong way. I become more furious as the cloud giant (henceforth CG) describes his woes, and incandescent with rage when it's revealed that a few months ago the CG's wife was taken by the SG as a display of power and influence, with implied threats: "You could choose to not come with me, but it's such a lovely home you've got here, with wonderful children, such a shame if they were no longer under my protection and someone were to cause trouble..." Naturally, she went without a fuss, but with a look that yelled louder than any voice that she wished it weren't so.

The CG sees my worsening mood, and says that he doesn't mean to involve us in his troubles, and that he's been a bad host by bringing up his problems with his new guests. I say back via translation that I find the SG's actions to be utterly abhorrent, and it'd be an *especially terrible shame* (I'm certain that even without directly understanding me, my sarcasm was obviously acidic enough to eat through the table) if something were to "happen" to the SG himself! The CG then reveals that his "liege" (and now, I spit the word) isn't satisfied with having taken the wife, and intends to return for another "visit" in a a day or so's time with the very obvious intention of a huge landgrab. The CG's lands are particularly vibrant and fertile (he's very good at looking after it), so they make a very attractive target for the insatiably greedy, which this SG obviously is. For me, that's the last straw, and I decide then and there that the SG needs to meet a very unfortunate accident. Without translating for the CG, we animatedly discuss among ourselves the implications of taking such an action. The others are in complete agreement with me that even though we're not properly aware of how politics function in this realm, this disgusting mistreatment of an underling by a lord will not be allowed to persist any longer. I like to think that the gods put our path at a crossroads with this giant's path for the purposes of us helping him achieve freedom for him and his family; by this point he's quite obviously a Good-aligned person, and utterly undeserving of the hand that fate has dealt him so far.

With our course decided, we discuss our plan with the CG, who says that while he is unwilling to directly raise a hand against his liege (he says it wouldn't be right or his place to do so, further cementing my opinion of him as a worthy friend), he would likewise find himself strangely unable to offer any useful assistance to said liege if there were to be some sort of threatening event... I imagine that an ambush by tiny creatures from another dimension would fit such a description. For the first time since meeting him, he seems cautiously optimistic, but also very worried; the implications of our attack failing are utterly disastrous. We assure him that we are very adept problem-solvers, and there would be no evidence whatsoever that he knows of us at all (it's incredibly unlikely that the children would be willing to say anything to the bastard that stole their mother, for instance, and we haven't been seen by anyone else). Creatures have been known to show up on this plane of existence from other dimensions before, after all, and they're usually very violently-inclined toward its residents when they arrive, so our ambush would not be an unheard-of event.

We eat, drink, rest and converse with the CG, laying out our plan for the ambush: After the SG has had dinner and drinks with his host, he will no doubt want to discuss the CG's need to provide a "tribute" to his liege in the form of his most fertile chunks of land. The CG will take him to the orchard where they can discuss their business in private, and that is where we will provide the ambush. The CG will "assist" in defending his liege in the most meaningless but visually-impressive way possible, and we will ensure that the SG never again oppresses those beneath him. (Our friend here is, by far, absolutely not the only one to suffer this idiotic bully's attentions.) As our conversation proceeds, we find out how the day/night cycle works here: There is no sunrise and sunset to speak of, unlike on our home plane. It's all sun, all the time. To simulate night, the CG casts a Control Weather spell, and causes a rainstorm to appear which darkens the sky and blocks out the light while also providing his cloudground with the rain it needs. Fascinating! The appearance of the clouds and deepening gloom signal to his workers that the "day" is done, so they can finish and go home; we all go to sleep listening to the sound of rain on the cloudstone rooftop.

The day of reckoning arrives, and we get ourselves ready. To stay out of sight, we all choose various hiding places; I and the other wizard are among the pumpkins, and I'm unsure where the others disappeared to. The SG and his retinue of several well-armed frost giants and some cloud giant nobility arrive, head into the house, and get the party started. We all wait in place for the party (such that it is) to wind down, and during the course of the artificially-darkened evening the CG is required to show his guests around his lands. Apparently they've requested to see the orchard; no doubt the SG intends to take it as part of his "tribute". Unfortunately for me, giants have a very good sense of smell - On the way past my hiding spot, one of them catches a whiff of my scent and stops in his tracks. Sniff, sniiiiiiiiiifffff... Translated for me later, the conversation went similarly to this:

[Frost giant from the retinue] "I smell something..."

[Our friend CG] "Oh? I don't smell anything except my pumpkins."

[FG] "No, I smell..." (Sniiiffff) "I smell a tiny creature!" (He turns in my direction and sniffs again)

[CG] "Hmm, it's probably just a rat. I've seen a couple of those lately."

[FG] "No, this smells different. Doesn't smell like a rat."

From the tone of the conversation, I suspect that he can indeed smell me, and I use a Prestidigitation cantrip to cause a stir in the cloudground heading away from me, as if it is indeed a rat or other small creature scampering away under the cover of the wispy cloud that lies over the top of the cloudground. The FG sees this, watches the "scurrying creature" for a moment and seems about to say something else, but then CG tugs politely on his arm and gestures that they continue on. With one last suspicious look in my direction, the frost giant continues on his way and I am soon forgotten.

The party obviously begins to wind down, most of the guests make their way to their sleeping quarters, and we all quickly move to the orchard to ready the attack, with an Improved Invisibility spell on each of us ensuring that as long as we keep moving, we will be extremely difficult to deal with. Soon we hear approaching footsteps: CG and SG are indeed approaching, with CG looking suitably distressed once SG makes it clear that he expects a "tribute" and that the orchard, pumpkin patch and a massive swathe of farmland are to comprise it (as translated later for us by the wizard). Having left an Illusory Script message for our friend that (to him, but looks like gibberish to the SG) says "Things are about to get ugly, be ready", CG says that he understands the need to provide tribute to such a mighty person and will comply... And then I point my staff at a wasp's nest hanging in one of the apple trees near their location and cast Giant Insect on it. Immediately, five already-giant wasps grow to truly heroic proportions. The sudden appearance of these wasps is the sign for all the others to begin raining down fireballs and destruction upon the SG, who targets the wasps with a Lightning Strike ability and destroys them all in one hit. CG looks around as if hunting for the source of the attack but otherwise does nothing useful to assist. Grinning evilly (not that anyone could tell), I enlarge a new batch of wasps and direct them to swarm the SG. Have I mentioned just how much I love my Staff of Insects? Another Lightning Strike from the SG takes out three of them, the remaining two head toward the SG, and the CG yells "I'll protect you, my liege!" and swings his weapon, splattering one of them all over it. The SG easily takes out the other one, and tries to lob a Lightning Strike at the source of the fireballs that are really starting to stack on the damage, but it hasn't recharged this time so the spell fizzles. I join in the Fireball-lobbing: Move into position, toss a Fireball, and move back out of the way; the SG keeps throwing Lightning Strikes at where he last saw a Fireball come from, which does absolutely nothing because there's no longer anyone standing there when he does so!

The sorceror decides to test out an experiment he's devised. He drops a batch of ten hobgoblin bone knives on the ground and uses Animate Object on them. The knives rise silently into the air, and then zip straight toward the SG. Suddenly, the SG finds himself surrounded by tiny, magically-animated knives that immediately begin blending him for 1d4+4 damage EACH per hit. Since they're so small and fast, he is completely unable to strike any of them, especially with his Lightning Strike not recharging! He's such a big target that he's almost impossible for the knives to miss. Within a very short space of time, the SG is reduced to critical HP, looking like he took a bath in a shrapnel bomb. He turns to our strangely completely uninjured CG friend and begs him for help. The CG responds with an awesome one-liner which seals the greedy SG's doom: "You reap what you sow." He then turns his back on the SG and lets the tiny knives finish their work by "going to find help", supergiant wasp remains still coating his weapon. Help turns out to not be far away; all the spellcasting, explosions and shouting has gathered a fair bit of attention, and our Greater Invisibility spell will wear off soon, so we decide to leg it. We briefly consider looting the body of the SG (we're adventurers after all!) but that is a bad idea for a few reasons. One is time, another is that this guy is still (for now) CG's leige, so any "missing" items would gain the wrong sort of attention, and CG himself would likely protest that course of action since his liege should be buried with his possessions or somesuch.

Later, we catch up with the CG who is now a very busy guy. He's got his wife back, who is overjoyed to be back with her family (this alone delights me to no end; they're a family again! Aww yeah!!); he's got quite an expanded set of responsibilities now that his liege was killed in a *terrible ambush* by invisible extraplanar creatures (he had the supergiant wasp remains on his weapon and on the ground around the nest to prove he did his best to defend him!), so he's had to take up the fallen mantle of region leader. What a terrible shame; the Storm Giant was *so* well liked by his underlings! As our (completely unofficial and anonymous) reward for assisting with our Cloud Giant friend's troubles, he gave us free access to his treasury; we each had the option of taking one item or the like of our choosing. One person chose some extraordinarily-rare cloth for making amazing magical items; others chose magical items, and our wizard friend found that among the treasures were not one, but THREE of the Elemental Crystals he sought to come to this plane for in the first place! CG initially offered one, but he was able to be talked up to two of them. Other spoils taken were Cloud Seeds: You can actually grow your own solid cloud with these; VERY valuable to CG since they're what he uses to create and expand his lands, and they're difficult to acquire, but he allowed us to take two of them (extremely generous, given their value and rarity). We also took some seeds from the massive (and very magical) apples in his orchard. When consumed by creatures our size, they act in the same manner as a Potion of Growth, greatly increasing the size (and as such, Strength, weight etc) of the consumer for a while. Guess what's going to be planted in the firm, permanent cloud that we're going to grow above our house? Having a permanent supply of these will be an amazing income generator; we just need a way to prevent theft. Hmm...

As for my reward, I've got an empty Bag of Holding that I haven't yet made any use of, so I decided to put as many Giant gold coins in it as it would carry, which turns out to be 500 pounds of gold metal. If treated solely as their value in base metal, that works out to be 25,000 Gold Pieces in our currency. I'm so rich!!

Once we arrive back at our house, I decide to take a couple of coins out of the bag and store them in the house; one as a keepsake (how many people can say they have a legitimate Giant Gold Piece that is legal currency on another plane of existence?) and one other to sell to a collector for far more than its base worth as a curiosity, for much the same reason. I'm hoping it alone will fetch 10,000GP or more. I'm extra rich! The rest can stay in the bag for ease of carrying until I can find someone who is willing to convert them into their GP cash equivalent, or possibly pay more than that due to their rarity. All in all, an amazingly profitable trip, and now we have friends on another plane of existence!

-> Volume 9
Last edited by Gingercat on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:45 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Would you be interested in an OTTified Pokémon Go? (And anyone else, for that matter?) I need to make an app to learn AR stuff on, and that sounds like a good potential candidate.

Sounds molpish!
*hides from punsaw*
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:48 am UTC

taixzo wrote:

Can I change my answer? I want to go with what Link said. :)

Oh joy, my neighbors are setting of the traditional 14th of SeptemberH fireworks. It's freaking out all the dogs in the neighborhood. :evil:

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:46 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:16 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Would you be interested in an OTTified Pokémon Go? (And anyone else, for that matter?) I need to make an app to learn AR stuff on, and that sounds like a good potential candidate.
It would be quite awesomeful to have a Molpy Go or somesuch :D I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with!

lmjb1964 wrote:ETA And I have an OTTer meetup tomorrow! Woot!
Awesomeful! You'll have to tell us how it goes!

And another volume of Torgos' adventures! Treeish!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 am UTC

Making progress at the new WDOP, now the interwebs come there. It's still mostly empty though, but that should start changing pretty soon.

Apparently it's a thing that Tropical Storms can just form over the city though. That was new. I did see a house with a trampoline on the roof afterwards, but I don't think there was much damage over all.

Sorry I haven't had a whole lot to say lately, lots here to enjoy though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:35 am UTC

SBN wrote:I did see a house with a trampoline on the roof afterwards, but I don't think there was much damage over all.

Instantly, a reword of an appropriate section of a Crowded House song comes to mind:

"I'd much rather have a trampoline up on my roof
Than an isolation tank..."

(Original:
"I'd much rather have a trampoline in my front room
Than an isolation tank..."
)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Trebuchet Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 am UTC

Took me a while to find where GnomeAnne had quoted me. I don't specifically remember saying "BlitzGirl: Don't choose the spork unless there's an even number of waffles!" but it seems like something I would do.

Todip I ch*rped up my tablet as bad as it can possibly be ch*rped and still end up working properly. (Though it was the fault of an app I installed which made it reboot into a bootloop, not anything I did directly.) For a time the battery didn't even attach to it. I fixed that by taping in some pieces of plastic from an old CD, so the pressure of the back cover would hold the battery contacts down. Because they're too riverish to solder by hand, or at least enough that I'm not gonna risk it. I don't have much in the way of soldering skills.

Once I got it going again I decided that since I'd already wiped everything I might as well install AICP (as previously mentioned) so now I'm using CM's Trebuchet Launcher. Yay!!!

Now reinstalling all my apps. It's an unraptorish process.

ETA

For decree: I noticed this mornip that Pokémon Go no longer works on my MTA, because it is a rooted non-stock OS. And it's not worth downgrading to the stock non-rooted OS just to continue to play a broken shell of what could be a good hotdog, given some further enhancements and support, but one that still is not very good at the present. However, it is RELATED to this pastpost that I ketchupped this mornip:
Agreed, after having switched to CM a few yips ago I have to say it feels like the OS that Android has tried to be. There's so many customization options, so much control over the device and apps, and it runs pretty smoothly. Never had any issues with it.

Coincidentally, I just reinstalled Automate :D But I had missed seeing it in Link's post earlier because I ketchupped carelessly. Careless Ketchup is a possible new VHF title.
Incidentally, yestedip I read that people got around the PG anti-root thing with something called Magisk. https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/c ... h=e6071f5e

If I hadn't spent all dip unch*rping my leopad, I would have been busy creating something to notice. Oh well.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

macraw83

Re: 1190: "Trebuchet Time"

Postby macraw83 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Took me a while to find where GnomeAnne had quoted me. I don't specifically remember saying "BlitzGirl: Don't choose the spork unless there's an even number of waffles!" but it seems like something I would do.
There's a large number of things I've said, both in the OTT and Outside, that I don't specifically remember saying. Though that does sound strangely familiar, I can't find any record of its origin; I suspect temporal shenaniganry.

Eternal Density wrote:Todip I ch*rped up my tablet as bad as it can possibly be ch*rped and still end up working properly. (Though it was the fault of an app I installed which made it reboot into a bootloop, not anything I did directly.) For a time the battery didn't even attach to it. I fixed that by taping in some pieces of plastic from an old CD, so the pressure of the back cover would hold the battery contacts down. Because they're too riverish to solder by hand, or at least enough that I'm not gonna risk it. I don't have much in the way of soldering skills.
Reminds me of some of the fixes I've made over the years: splicing together wires in my original Playstation to replace the disk motor with one out of an old Sony CD player and wrapping them in duct tape, taping down the lid sensor in another CD player when the tab that usually presses it broke off, finding numerous workarounds for a phone that kept having more and more problems with it (USB port stopped working so I bought a spare battery and a wall charger, up-volume button failed so I put a shortcut to the volume settings on the home screen, GPS failed so I started carrying an even older phone in my car and would turn on hotspot whenever I needed to set up the GPS...). Glad you could get it to work again!

Eternal Density wrote:Once I got it going again I decided that since I'd already wiped everything I might as well install AICP (as previously mentioned) so now I'm using CM's Trebuchet Launcher. Yay!!!

Now reinstalling all my apps. It's an unraptorish process.
Which OS were/are you using? When I switched from my Moto X's stock OS to CM11, Google synced my apps and automatically installed them, and in many cases transferred over the local app data. Not sure if that is/was an option for you though.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

First step of any AR game completed: a virtual object in the real world!

RSIR
Spoiler:
Screenshot_20160916-160146.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:45 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.
Things the GLR learned during research for Beanish? Support for a Ndyuka-like language foundation?

Hi y'all! The Little Wonder and I are back in New Zealand, and I've got lots of ketchup to do (and lots of cleaning - steambottle!)

I'll be OTTing again as soon as I can, in little bits here and there.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:02 am UTC

Welcome back ggh! I noticed you were gone, and I noticed you came back! :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

thunk

Re: 1190: "the bru-and-whisky circuit"

Postby thunk » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:30 am UTC

taixzo wrote:First step of any AR game completed: a virtual object in the real world!

A Perfectly Generic Object! Except red.

Baltashchit wrote:making the STAF play music

...ch*rp, now you're making him channel Malcolm Brown.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

balthasar_s

Helo wordl!

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:30 am UTC

Perfectly Generic Objects are the hello world of object generation.
Anyone who tried to program an object generator knows this.

thunk wrote:Except red.
By giving it the property of color one level of perfect genericness has been removed. That's progress!

thunk wrote:...ch*rp, now you're making him channel Malcolm Brown.
Maybe my English is not good enough but what does "channel" mean in this context?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time": KETCHUP, KETCHUP AGAINST THE PUNSAWING OF THE BEANISHNESS

Postby ggh » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:51 am UTC

Thanks Jose! And can I say - Baobabs! it sure was awesomeful meeting you and your wingish wife in the flesh! It was mighty considerate of you to have chosen to settle minutes from the path of least resistance between my two major ports of call in the US. :) I'm sorry it was such a rushed visit - it was a crazy rushed day - but next Time....

I semi-arbitrarily went back to NP 2512, and RELATEDLY saw this:
lmjb1964 wrote:That reminds me that when I saw ggh, she said, "The river is small!" and I said, "The ocean is big!" In my defense, I'd just spent three days on a train, sleeping in the train seats, no showers, and my BF was sick for 24 longpix with a sulfite reaction. So I was not totally with it. :D
What did I answer you, Jose? I panicked and the response that I grasped for in my head appeared in Rosetta-speak: "The sea/ocean is large/big." I stammered out some combination of those words. In my defense, I had been repeating "Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah" in my head over and over, hoping to say it smoothly, and "The river is small" totally deer-in-the-headlightsed me.

I also now have June Bug's Chirpaburra otty looping in my head. What a dirty little ditty. :)

Nice seeing LW in the pool at the new WDOP, SBN! We got to see a dog dock-jumping competition in New Hampshire which was a lot of fun. Seeing your pup in the water makes me wish that as well as a competition for distance, they ran a alternate version where the dogs compete for the most seaish splash volume....

http://dictionary.cambridge.org wrote:channel: to behave like or copy another person, so that you almost seem to be that other person:
The band were dressed in 1960s outfits and seemed to be channelling the Beatles.
I've always thought that usage referred to that thing that psychics do, when they go into a trance and get "taken over" by some other consciousness, but maybe that's just one subset of that meaning of channeling.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:03 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks Jose! And can I say - Baobabs! it sure was awesomeful meeting you and your wingish wife in the flesh! It was mighty considerate of you to have chosen to settle minutes from the path of least resistance between my two major ports of call in the US. :)

ggh wrote:Nice seeing LW in the pool at the new WDOP, SBN! We got to see a dog dock-jumping competition in New Hampshire which was a lot of fun. Seeing your pup in the water makes me wish that as well as a competition for distance, they ran a alternate version where the dogs compete for the most seaish splash volume....

What fun adventures OTTers have.
Keep having fun; One and all.

The xkcd forum has been friend and family to me.
Keep having fun and posting your shenanigans.

As for me....
I was sleeping.

I am physically improving.
Very slowly.

I will have a day or two that are almost 'normal',
That will make me so tired, I sleep for two days.

I am attempting to wake up and join the living.
This is a more difficult task than it might sound.
Spoiler:
I moved from taking Dilaudid to taking Morphine.
Now, I am reducing my Morphine little by little.
More musings from the graveside.
Spoiler:
When a person is expected to die within a few weeks
or months the sky is the limit for pain relieving drugs.

I was one of those people.
I am no longer one of those people.

As we all know by now;
That is both the good news and the bad news.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Nice seeing LW in the pool at the new WDOP, SBN! We got to see a dog dock-jumping competition in New Hampshire which was a lot of fun. Seeing your pup in the water makes me wish that as well as a competition for distance, they ran a alternate version where the dogs compete for the most seaish splash volume....

Welcome back!

That would be fun. Not sure how to teach them to cannonball though.

We've been working on a 'Shake' command, to help reduce the amount of toweling needed. Of course, other people expect a different response when they give that command, which is probably going to get someone wet one of these days.

(They will 'dap you up' if you ask them, 'Sup?')

They are enjoying the number of times we have to go to the hardware store due to the new WDOP, seems we always need something else.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:46 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Welcome back!

That would be fun. Not sure how to teach them to cannonball though.

We've been working on a 'Shake' command, to help reduce the amount of toweling needed. Of course, other people expect a different response when they give that command, which is probably going to get someone wet one of these days.

(They will 'dap you up' if you ask them, 'Sup?')

They are enjoying the number of times we have to go to the hardware store due to the new WDOP, seems we always need something else.
oh, How I loved having Dogs!
I tried to teach my Dogs to 'shake' while -OverThere-.
It never worked.

They seemed to Want to get me involved with The Fun.

Did I ever tell you about Lucy?
Spoiler:
Lucy was a Black Lab.
She was a Water Dog.
Lucy was one of the dumbest Dogs to ever grace the earth.

I took Lucy to the millrace nearly everyday.
Do you know what the Venturi Effect is?

Not required.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Lucy was going after sticks I was throwing.
I made a Mistake! I tossed the stick Wrong!

The stick landed in the intake current of a culvert.
It was a Long culvert that dumped into the River.

I was yelling at her, "Swim! Lucy! Swim!"
I was So frightened for her. "Lucy!!"

Lucy had been struggling against the current.
I could tell she was loosing ground.
I saw 'fear' on her face.

I had to 'go in'.
Off with my boots.
Off with my butt pack.

Lucy was a much stronger swimmer than I ever was.
My advantage: I was able to touch the bottom.

I was able to hold Ivy that was growning from the concrete of the culvert.

What an Adventure!
She had to Swim to me.

She did it!
I caught her collar in my hand.

She and I struggled, together, back to the bank of the millrace.
She sat with me while I but my boots back on. I like Dogs.

I loved that Dog.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:02 pm UTC

addams wrote:Did I ever tell you about Lucy?[spoiler]Lucy was a Black Lab.

Yes you did, I remember the story... not sure on what NP you told it.
I like your stories.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

addams wrote:oh, How I loved having Dogs!
I tried to teach my Dogs to 'shake' while -OverThere-.
It never worked.

They seemed to Want to get me involved with The Fun.

A lot of what we do is tell them "Good Shake!" when they do it on their own. Plus if we mess up their fur, they will shake to get it back in place, that helps us time the command and the behavior. We're working on it. (They do still manage to get us wet more often than not.)

My Tiny Grand Wolpy (and her favorite person) are here to visit.

Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Baobabs! it sure was awesomeful meeting you and your wingish wife in the flesh!...
Seaishly likewise! We must do this again!
ggh wrote: It was mighty considerate of you to have chosen to settle minutes from the path of least resistance between my two major ports of call in the US. :)
I of course planned the whole thing yips before Time itself. I had even written a stick-figure comic about it, but it's too seaish to fit in the margins. :)
ggh wrote:What did I answer you, Jose? I panicked...
Your litany was flawless.
me: "The river is small!"
you: "The sea is big!"
me: "...and does what it wants!"
and then in telling me you had been rehearsing the smopu hvala, pronounced it flawlessly.

Axios!

addams wrote:oh, How I loved having Dogs!
I love other people's dogs. Pet pet, scritch scritch, bye bye! I scritch (almost) all the dogs I see when we walk in our neighborhood, but I can also travel and not have to worry that they are being left alone. When I was a kid we had a dog - it's a bit responsibility, isn't it...

addams wrote:As for me....
I was sleeping.

I am physically improving...
I hope that trend continues - the living want you here with us! You really help make this thread the molpish home that it is, in ways you probably will never know.

taixzo wrote:[Perfectly generic object, made slightly less generic through the use of color]
Perfectly generic accolade, made slightly less generic through the use of a different color. :)

Somewhat less generic accolade for Sustainablizer's
temperature otty. That was pretty cool!

More later - I'm being called away. RUN!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mrob27

1190: Time: MY C****KIE, LET ME SHOW YOU IT

Postby mrob27 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Uh-oh. :oops: Sorry...

It's all molpish, and I'm thinking of you everyday and feeling somewhat ashamed that I can't find the time to post. Once I've got this modern pedagogy sorted out, I should be able to make a more mrobly (and regular) presence.

- mrob27
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

thunk

Re: 1190: Time: MY C****KIE, LET ME SHOW YOU IT

Postby thunk » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:43 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Uh-oh. :oops: Sorry...

It's all molpish, and I'm thinking of you everyday and feeling somewhat ashamed that I can't find the time to post. Once I've got this modern pedagogy sorted out, I should be able to make a more mrobly (and regular) presence.

- mrob27

Don't apologize, we're all (un)stuck in Time at our own pace.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:(They will 'dap you up' if you ask them, 'Sup?')
Ha - that's treeish! (Also, I was one of today's 10,000!)
Have you ever posted a pic of Tiny Grand Wolpy, SBN? Also, is TGWFP GHWFP's sister?

Yay - thanks Jose! I would have sworn I said 'large'. I blush just thinking of it.

Best of luck with the classes, mrob! Don't worry about us - we know how to
Spoiler:
pace nervously around the room, wondering if you've abandoned us I mean, wait for it. :)

I love that Lucy story, addams!

For the decree, I've noticed that there have been three wolpies named Lucy mentioned in the OTT.
The legendary meth lab, Hank's mother, loved by addams:
Spoiler:
addams wrote:What beautiful dogs.
The Black Lab looks smart.

There is a genetic line of Black Lab that is Stupid.

Good Dogs, just Stupid.
I knew the Mother and the Son.

Hank was almost double Lucy's size when full grown.
He was an idiot, just like his mom. I loved that Dog.

Gingercat wrote:Maybe Hank is actually a Meth Lab:

addams wrote:EDIT: So Very Funny.
Yes. Hank may have been a Meth Lab.
He didn't look Meth. He acted Meth.

addams wrote:Lucky, Lucky You!
Your dog is a specialist.

It is in their blood.
Even Lucy could do that.

But; Not Hank.
Can you imagine??

He was Black Lab back as far as could be traced on both sides.
He was too stupid to fetch.

He'd forget what he was doing, while he was doing it.
He'd go in, then look back at me. I could almost hear him.

"What am I doing in water?"
"Swimming?! Good idea!!"
Then, he would "TAKE OFF!"

With not a thought in his head he would keep going, until his legs gave out.
I had to keep him on a long lunge line.

What a funny dog.
He turned me into a funny person.

I'd be running along the river trail yelling promises and threats at the millraces.
That is too, too stressful. Some dogs need to be on leash. Hank is one example.

addams wrote:Thank you, Gingercat;
I'm glad you think the story is delightful.

Gingercat;
Those things Did happen.
I know, I was there.

It is fun to remember Hank, the world's dumbest Black Lab.
They don't make 'em like that, anymore. We can only hope.

Did I ever tell you about Lucy?
Lucy was Hank's mom.

I lived with Lucy for two years.
Hank got his brains from his mom.

addams wrote:Lucy was a Black Lab.
She was a Water Dog.
Lucy was one of the dumbest Dogs to ever grace the earth.

I took Lucy to the millrace nearly everyday.
Do you know what the Venturi Effect is?

Not required.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Lucy was going after sticks I was throwing.
I made a Mistake! I tossed the stick Wrong!

The stick landed in the intake current of a culvert.
It was a Long culvert that dumped into the River.

I was yelling at her, "Swim! Lucy! Swim!"
I was So frightened for her. "Lucy!!"

Lucy had been struggling against the current.
I could tell she was loosing ground.
I saw 'fear' on her face.

I had to 'go in'.
Off with my boots.
Off with my butt pack.

Lucy was a much stronger swimmer than I ever was.
My advantage: I was able to touch the bottom.

I was able to hold Ivy that was growning from the concrete of the culvert.

What an Adventure!
She had to Swim to me.

She did it!
I caught her collar in my hand.

She and I struggled, together, back to the bank of the millrace.
She sat with me while I but my boots back on. I like Dogs.

I loved that Dog.
A sweet huntaway who belonged to a friend of mine:
Spoiler:
ggh wrote:Yes! They were fantastic! I'm not sure if I mentioned before, but they brought their wolpy as well - a sweet huntaway who will soon celebrate her 15th birthdip. The Little Wonder really enjoyed having her around too, because she'd stand still and let her pet her soft medium-length coat. Lucy-dog hails from North Carolina originally, where a guy moved, taking his wolpy, but not her 3- or 4-wip-old puppies. They were heard crying in the house, and my friend, who lived nearby at the time, became the new mom to this one. Lucy-dog's had quite a life's journey.
And JGeezer's sleeping beauty:
Spoiler:
JGeezer wrote:What? I'm not ready for a Popeacy! OK, when you molpy down, show us your molpy downing. For example, here's my Lucy:

Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

blindpost...
...RoadTrip...?

..RoadTrip.!?
..!!RoadTrip!!

..!!RoadTrip!!
..!!RoadTrip!!

[i](Yey! !!Kermit Cheer!![)/i] Bye!!
Spoiler:
I will take you with me in my heart.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ergman

I wish I could say my thoughts are always with you but there's a lot every day I do my best to miss you

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Human subculture is fractally nested
It takes a deep dive to be actually invested
And I could stare at sandcastles for a thousand years
And never dream of finding anywhere as wonderful as here.
But every little tide pool draws my eye
I want to see as much of the shore as I can before I die
I make commitments to mermaids and build stuff out of driftwood
and every spot I've ever laid I'd settle down if I could
but the beach curves off into the misty horizon
and I must be moving on toward the rising sun
I want you to know your culture still permeates my blood
and though I leave now to find the water's source I'll be back before the flood.

Have any of you noticed The Talos Principle? I've been playing through it's dlc and it contains a collection of people trapped in a forum, making art and conversations. Seem's familiar.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:50 pm UTC

Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:03 am UTC

ggh wrote:
SBN wrote:(They will 'dap you up' if you ask them, 'Sup?')
Ha - that's treeish! (Also, I was one of today's 10,000!)
Have you ever posted a pic of Tiny Grand Wolpy, SBN? Also, is TGWFP GHWFP's sister?

I don't believe I have. I actually just met TGW yesterdip.
Here you go. (With LW in the background.)
018.JPG

And yes.

Some Ways to Time

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 am UTC

Oh, that is one cute wolpy!

GnomeAnne wrote:And sooo many bad puns. (or do I mean bag puns?)
Y'know, it makes me grin whenever anyone reads those pages. Good times. :)

Haunting poem, ergman. *tips hat uneasily*

Also, I tried some things from NP2516:
jeslek wrote:I just read this comic today. Had the main theme from eternal sunshine of the spotless mind repeating in the background while I clicked through it. Really fit well. Would recommend to everybody.

-mike
Ooh - that really does work well, at last for the beginning.
Sciscitor wrote:Hello OTTers!

I've found a rather relvevant browser game: Castles made of castles. It is a kind of castle builder... though not with sand but with added recursiveness!

This one is mine.
That blew my mind a bit, but then the leopard started to bake and let me off the hook - pfhew!
Agatha the Awesomeful

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:42 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:This one is mine.
That blew my mind a bit, but then the leopard started to bake and let me off the hook - pfhew!

You mean your leopad, I guess. I hadn't had a baking leopard for a long time...
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

Gee - I don't know what I mean.... I use a MacBook Pro that's pretty quick to get really hot. A leopad is a tablet like an iPad, no? Should I have said lapleopard? I've never been fluent in TA terminology....

Edit: Heh - I should have just used the term, "sand." Then I would have looked clever. Dadgummit.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:14 pm UTC

If organised sand starts to bake, will you end up with glass?
(Might only be true for Windows.)

Also, new OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”